samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: jackiesfic@aol.com

Season: Season 6, after Full Circle

Sequel: Part 15 of the In Demand series Previous parts are: In Demand, Momentum, Epidemic, See Jack Run, Classified, Prelude, Discoveries, Under Surveillance, T-Ball, Homerun, Good Things, Tell Her, Bad Days and Batteries

Spoilers: None

Archive: SJD, yes. Anyone else, please just ask.

Author's Notes: It's short and totally sappy, but that's the mood I'm in. So sue me.

As always feed back craved!


Bliss

Sam Carter was slightly shocked when her friend Janet Fraiser answered the door that Saturday afternoon.

"Janet, you look like hell. What's the matter?" she asked, truly concerned.

"Sam, I'm sorry. I should have called and told you not to come over today. Cassie had a fight with her boyfriend last night and neither of us have had any sleep. She's a wreck, and now I am, too. Have I mentioned lately that all men suck?" Janet stated somewhat incoherently.

Sam looked up to see Cassie standing on the stairs, eyes puffy, nose red. She sighed. She certainly had been there and done that. She made a decision, and in her best command voice, took charge of the situation.

"Cassie, go wash your face, You and I are going to go drown your sorrows in ice cream. Janet, go take a shower, make a cup of tea, and have a nap," she said, and paused just long enough for her words to sink in. "Come on! Move it!"

Half an hour later, she and Cassie had bought huge ice cream cones, and were sitting in a park around the corner from the shop. Sam waited patiently until they were both halfway through their cones, then started the conversation.

"So, what did the two-timing, inconsiderate, one step above a male primate do, or not do?" she inquired.

"Yesterday was our one year anniversary. He called and canceled our date so he could go out with some of his friends," Cassie sniffled.

"Ouch," Sam commiserated. "Bet you were all dressed up ready for a special evening, too."

"I bought a new outfit, and I even bought him a present," Cassie angrily declared.

Sam nodded and sighed. "Yep, men are scum," she agreed. Then she continued with a small smile. "Well, most of the time. Except for when they are being sweet and irresistible."

"Humph. When is that?" Cassie asked, daring Sam to come up with an example.

"You know. When they manage to keep their feet out of their mouths, usually by not saying anything. When they just look at you with a smile that makes you feel like the most special person in the world. Or when they hold you close during the scary parts of the movie, even though they know you are not really scared. When they know they have done something stupid, and they are trying desperately to think of a way to fix it, because they really are scared you might leave them, even though you couldn't if you tried. That's when," Sam said quietly.

Cassie was silent for few minutes, absently licking at the last of her ice cream. She looked over at the woman who had been a surrogate mother to her and nodded in understanding.

"It's not really about remembering anniversaries and making big romantic gestures is it?" she asked as a new level of understanding dawned.

"No, Cass. It's about being there for each other through the good times and the bad. It's about trusting your life and your heart to someone and having them do the same. It's about quiet moments when you are just content to be together and happy times spent with family and friends. I'll take those over roses and chocolates and grand declarations of love any day," Sam acknowledged. Then she added with a grin, "Which is a darn good thing considering who I married!"

Cassie giggled. "Nope, Uncle Jack sure could never be called romantic." Then she sobered and looked Sam in the eye. "But he loves you, and you love him," she said with certainty.

"More every day, Cassie. Hold out for the guy that can give you that, sweetie. Hold out for the bliss."

The end