samandjack.net

Story Notes: Haven’t you ever heard of Christmas in July? Ok so it’s September, but real life hasn’t been nice about time the last two months. Needing a fluffy pick me up I went through the archives and found this. The 2001 X-MAS challenge.

1.At least three of the following:
*Holly
*Song: Blue Christmas
*Santa hat (Bonus points if it’s a full suit)
*Someone saying “Well that was unexpected”

2. Must include:
*Sam and Jack kissing

Season: Somewhere in the early years, Jack’s a Colonel, Sam’s a Captain.

Archive SJD, yes
E-Mail: i_hate_video_games_69@yahoo.com


Hope for the Holidays

Why do I let myself get talked into these things? Sam asked herself. ‘Because Christmas is a time to spend with family’ her mind supplied for her. ‘If that’s the case then why aren’t I going to spend Christmas with Mark and his kids?’ ‘Because they’re not your only family anymore.’

“Alright, now I’m definitely three fries short of a happy meal. Not only am I talking to myself, I’m also answering myself. It’s official, I need to make an appointment with McKenzie.” Sam mumbled to herself as she pulled into Colonel O’Neill’s driveway. “I’m not going in there alone. What the hell is taking Daniel and Teal’c so long anyway.”

She didn’t have to wait very long to find out. A few minutes later Daniel’s car pulled into the driveway behind Sam’s. Getting out of the car she burst into a fit of hysterical laughter as she eyeballed Teal’c.

“Now I see what took so long. What’s up with the suit Teal’c?” She asked after she regained her breath.

“DanielJackson informed me that this was the traditional outfit worn by the one you call ‘Santa Claus’.”

“What I didn’t know was that he’d get hats for all of us.” Daniel grumbled as he put his hat on, and then handed another to Sam.

“Awe, Daniel I thinks it’s cute.” She answered putting her own hat on while they walked up to the door. “I just hope the colonel doesn’t mind, you know what he said last year about not liking the holidays.”

“Yeah, I know that’s why I was surprised he said we should get together at his house for the holiday’s this year.” Daniel said as he knocked.

“Come in it’s open.” They heard Jack’s muffled voice yell.

Daniel and Sam stopped dead when they saw the living room.

“If this is hating the holidays I’d hate to see what this would look like if he was in the Christmas spirit.” Sam whispered to Daniel.

“A little help here” Jack pleaded as he tried to juggle two large boxes. Teal’c went to help him as Sam and Daniel just kept staring at the living room.

Holly adorned the entire fireplace, there was a miniature Nativity scene on the coffee table, mistletoe hung from the ceiling above the stairs and the doorway between the living room and kitchen, and full Christmas stockings hung from the fireplace. Still none of it prepared them for the tree. It took up one whole corner of the room. It was covered in what looked like thousands of twinkling lights. It must have taken hours to do the tree, let alone the whole room. Hell, the stockings looked handmade.

After setting down the boxes Jack took a good look at everyone. Teal’c wearing a full Santa suit including the beard, Daniel in his typical khakis, polo shirt, and Santa hat, but Sam was breathtaking. She was wearing a blue v-neck shirt the exact hue of her eyes, black figure hugging pants, and of course a Santa hat matching Daniel’s. On Daniel the hat just looked dumb, but on Sam the hat was adorable.

“I feel sorta out of place. Everyone has a hat but me.”

“O’Neill, I have acquired a hat for you as well.” Teal’c replied as he pulled the last hat from Santa’s seemingly filled bag.

“Awesome, give me that now who wants some eggnog.” Jack replied as he shoved the hat on his head walking off towards the kitchen.

“Well THAT was unexpected.” Daniel mumbled walking towards the boxes Jack had been fumbling.

“What Danny-boy?”

“I said what’s in the boxes?”

“Only some of the O’Neill families best ornaments and decorations. C’mon let’s get this tree decorated. Who wants to put the first ornament on?” Jack asked pulling out a Santa holding a hockey stick.

“I would be honored to do so for you O’Neill.” Teal’c said as he took the ornament from Jack and hung it an upper branch.

They continued chatting while putting ornament after ornament on the tree. Sam couldn’t believe what a great mood Jack was in. She would have sworn she heard him say he hated the holidays when she first met him. They were out of ornaments but that was okay because the huge tree was packed. The only thing left was the angel. Sam saw it sitting at the bottom of the box, and she was afraid to touch it. It looked so old, and it was beautiful. Jack saw what held her attention and came up behind her.

“My grandmother made that,” he whispered, his breath brushing her ear, “would you like to put it on the tree?”

“Yes ttthank you, I would.” Sam stuttered due to his close proximity. She took the angel from him, and was walking towards the tree when he shouted for her to stop. She was afraid he’d changed his mind about letting her touch the priceless angel.

“I almost forgot” he says, disappearing into the kitchen. He came back into the room holding a small bag.

“I hope you guys don’t mind, it’s an old family tradition.” He says as he pulls four more ornaments from the bag.

“We’re each a different symbol of Christmas. Teal’c is Santa, Danny the reindeer, I’m the snowman, and Sam is the angel.” He says handing each of them their ornament with their name carved into it. “Separate we are good enough, but put us together and we are something really special.” He is almost crying, you can tell by the tone of his voice, but the good little soldier in him won’t let him. He moves to put his ornament on the tree and the rest of us follow his example.

“Alright, Sam, now you can put the angel on top.” After the angel is in place we all step back to admire the finished project. It’s beautiful.

“Maybe it’s time for Santa to hand out gifts?” Daniel is the first to break the silence. Almost sadly we move away from the tree to the couch.

Jack and Daniel removed the gift they had all gotten for Teal’c from under the tree and follow along to the couch.

“DanielJackson, these are for you.” Teal’c stated, handing Daniel a stack of gifts.

“And for you O’Neill.” Handing Jack his stack.

“And of course for CaptainCarter.” He said, finally handing Sam her presents.

“Well if we’re doing gifts already I should probably hand out the stockings .” Jack noted as he walked over to the fireplace.

“Teal’c can you hand these to Danny and Sam., and I’ll just set yours by your chair.”

“After Jack and Teal’c had sat back down they all started going through their stockings. Sam laughed as she realized they were all filled with the small toys and stuffed animals.

“For the kid in all of us,” Jack said as he pulled out a yo-yo, five cans of silly string, a couple of stuffed teddy bears and other miscellaneous toys from his stocking. “There’s also a stuffed version of your ornament. Jack said as he held up his own stuffed snowmen.

“Jack, where did you get these stockings?” Daniel asked.

“I made them.”

“You made them...” Daniel muttered exchanging a glance with Sam.

“Yeah my grandma taught me how when I was little. What I can cook, clean and do laundry too. What’s with you guys?”

“Sir, it’s just you don’t seem the sit at home and make Christmas stockings kind of guy.”

“Carter, it’s Christmas, could you drop the sir?”

“Umm, I’ll try sir...Jack. How about we open these.”

They all opened their gifts. Teal’c got a set of encyclopedias so he could continue learning all about Earth. Daniel received more books about archeology and ancient languages. Jack got a book detailing the players, stats and little know fact about his favorite hockey team for the past twenty five years from Daniel. A Simpson's collectible set he’d been yet to find from Teal’c. However, Carter’s gift was by far the best; a book about star placement and how they might affect different sports at different times and a new telescope. Sam got a servicing kit for her bike from Teal’c and Daniel. There was a small box from the Colonel. When she opened it she gave a small gasp. Looking up she saw that Daniel and Teal’c had disappeared.

“Sir...Jack, I can’t accept this.” Sam said as she looked at the gold angel pendant holding a sapphire.

“Yes you can Carter. You’ve helped me be able to enjoy the holidays again. It’s like you’re an angel that was sent to help me get through the pain the holidays have brought for me since Charlie died. All of you guys really, but you the most.”

“But Jack, this must have cost you a fortune.”

“And that telescope didn’t.”

“Jack, Sam, come in here we need your help.” Daniel’s panicky voice rang out from the kitchen.

“Space Monkey, you better not have set my kitchen on fire.”

“Stop right there!” Daniel almost screamed.

“What’s wrong?” Jack and Sam asked simultaneously.

“O’Neill according to the tradition DanielJackson has explained to me, I believe you must now kiss CaptainCarter.” Teal’c stated. If Jack didn’t know any better he would have sworn the Jaffa was almost smiling.

“For crying out loud! I guess we have to, it is tradition after all.” Jack said as he leaned down to give Sam one of the sweetest kisses of her life. Instead of demanding more, it was sort of a slow exploration. All of a sudden there were two camera flashes.

Sam looked up to see Teal’c and Daniel both holding out Polaroid's to her and Jack.

“Merry Christmas guys!” Daniel laughed.

“Yeah, yeah, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.” Jack said as they all started to walk back towards the couch.

Daniel couldn’t help but notice that Jack’s arm was still casually slung around Sam’s shoulders.

‘Maybe there’s hope for the holidays yet.’ He mused as he followed.

THE END