samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-MAIL: x-philes@worldnet.att.net

SPOILERS: 2001, Entity, Ascension.

ARCHIVE: Heliopolis, SJD, Carterfic-yes

AUTHOR'S NOTES: This begged to be written after that awful scene in the gateroom at the end of 2001. I feel better now that is done. Feedback appreciated.


Sam sighed to herself as she struggled off the stretcher in the infirmary, her first hurtle in her obstacle course to get home. The infirmary was unusually quiet tonight, she had apparently been the only customer of the day. There was little chatter, most likely having to do with Janet being off, and the Doc on call being a hard-nose with a heart of ice. Sam shook her head as she made her way to the corridor, she wasn't being fair to him, he probably only seemed to have a heart of ice.

It didn't matter much either way, she had been released, which was a good thing, but with instructions prohibiting driving. Janet would have arranged for an airman to drive her if the rest of SG-1 wasn't around, and they weren't, but then it didn't seem to matter much to Dr. Glochill. Oh well, her relationship with her team wasn't his problem, it was hers, and it was a problem. It was probably as much her fault as theirs, but it couldn't be helped tonight. She didn't have the energy to reach out to them, and she knew they were busy cleaning up the fall-out from the near disastrous treaty with the Aschen. No, she could manage on her own, after all,she'd managed Orlin on her own. She'd reached out on that one, but they hadn't trusted her, and she was finding that lack of faith a hard thing to get over. Apparently so were they, as not one of them had been to the infirmary, nor had they shown much concern in the gate-room. Kinsey standing there probably had a lot to do with it, but he hadn't kept them out of the infirmary.

"Doesn't matter Sam," she muttered to herself as she pushed the door to the locker-room open. The only thing that mattered was home and bed, she thought as she opened her locker and grabbed her purse. She couldn't even summon the energy to change clothes, opting instead to rest just a minute on the bench in the center of the room.

"Major Carter, you okay?" The voice of Major Ferritti was loud in the stillness of the locker room and woke her form her doze on the bench.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks Ferritti," she mumbled as she stood.

"Okay, hey Sam, I heard about what happened, you did good."

"Thanks, didn't feel to good though."

"Never does when you lose a man, but it had to be done. I'm heading out, you?"

"Yeah. Ahh, Ferritti, could I bum a ride home, not supposed to drive you know," Sam asked, motioning to her bound right arm.

"Sure, should I tell anyone you're going to leave with me."

"No, it's okay, I didn't have anything lined up yet."

**************************

Ferritti leaned over to wake his sleeping passenger, noticing the lines of pain around her mouth even in her sleep, and felt a renewed sense of respect for the tough as nails major. She'd had a hard job today, and she had done it well.

"Come on Sam," he urged as he opened the passenger side door.

"Hmm," she mumbled, her eyes blinking open reluctantly.

"Your home Sam," Ferritti responded as he helped her to stand. "Do you need me to get any prescriptions filled or anything," he asked as Sam fumbled with her key.

"No, thanks anyway Ferritti. I have enough for tonight, and Daniel will stop by tomorrow." At least that's what he normally does, Sam thought to herself.

"Okay, goodnight then."

"Goodnight, thanks for the lift Ferritti."


***************************************************

Sam wanted to roll over to avoid the sun streaming in the open blinds of her bedroom window, but the pain stopped any thoughts of movement. She gritted her teeth against the blinding pain radiating from her arm, shoulder, and well, everything but her hair. She didn't remember hurting anywhere near this badly the night before, and she wanted to cry as she realized that she was incapable of further movement. She gritted her teeth as she contemplated what to do, the pain and muscle spasms eliminating any plan that required movement. She could only hope Janet would come by to check on her later.


************************************


Ferritti gave a joking half salute as he greeted O'Neill in the locker room early that same morning.

"Hi Colonel. Did you see Sam this morning, how is she?"

"Hi ya Ferritti. I'm on my way by the infirmary next, I'll tell her you said hi."

"Infirmary, but she was okay when I dropped her home last night, we'll as okay as you can be while trussed up like a turkey."

"Home, I thought.....," Jack trailed off as he caught Ferritti's odd look.

"Did you not check on her last night Colonel?"

"Ahh, no time, had to meet with Hammond," Jack responded. "Glad you gave her a ride."

"Yeah, it was no problem."

"Morning guys," Daniel muttered as he breezed to his locker.

"Morning," Jack muttered.

"Morning Dr. Jackson. How was Sam this morning."

"Huh, I haven't seen her this morning Ferritti, why."

"When I dropped her off last night she told me you were going to go by the drugstore for her today. I just figured you'd already done that."

"I haven't spoken with Sam, why would......wait a minute, took her home....Jack, isn't she in the infirmary?"

"Apparently not Daniel."

"Wait just a minute Colonel. Are you telling me that one of your team members came back from a potential suicide mission alive but hurt, and none of you have even checked on her. Gee sir, no disrespect, but I'm glad you aren't my CO."

Jack winced at Ferritti's words, it was a terrible thing for a CO to do, it was even worse when it came from a friend. He stood there stunned as Ferritti left shaking his head, not even hearing Daniel's attempt to get his attention.

"DanielJackson, what is going on," Teal'c asked as he entered the locker room and observed the state of his friends.

"Teal'c, have you talked to Sam."

"I have not. I have been speaking with General Hammond. I was planning to go to her home today, but that wish has been delayed. General Hammond wishes for us to join SG-11 today DanielJackson."

"Wonderful," Daniel responded sarcastically. " Jack, you have to go check on her. Somebody really needs to make sure she is okay. She isn't gonna ask for help."

"I know Daniel, but I'm going to talk with Doc first, find out how she was yesterday. I'm still surprised Fraiser released her, she usually wants at least one night of observation."

"Yeah, you're right Jack, but she must have had her reasons."

"Don't worry Daniel, I'm sure she's fine, you have a good mission, and Daniel, don't touch anything."

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you Jack."

******************************************************

Jack O'Neill made his way to the infirmary lost in thought. He was surprised that Sam had been discharged, but his overwhelming emotion was anger. Anger at himself, the man that had allowed a rumor mill change the way he treated a colleague, and a friend.


He and Sam had done nothing inappropriate. They cared for each other, and had discussed it between themselves before locking it away until the time was right. It wasn't their feelings for each other that had made for the awkward moments between them, it was the gossip that had started after the incident with the entity. Rumors about his feelings during that event that had made him pull back, then the event with Orlin had made things even more difficult. He felt like a heel for not backing her up more, hell, he should have cold-cocked Simmons, but instead he pulled even further away. He hadn't been alone with her since, even took Teal'c when he needed to check on her. Well it was going to change. He was going to check on Sam, his friend, not his 2IC. He would make sure she was okay, he would fix her food, he would do what he would for any other friend or team-mate. He would restore their friendship, before he destroyed their love. He still planned to be with her someday.


*********************************

Dr. Janet Fraiser reviewed the file in front of her with feelings of anger and disgust. The academy hospital had sent a new replacement for Dr. Smither, one with the right security clearance and technical skills. Janet wasn't impressed, he seemed to have very little bedside manner, and no respect for the unusual nature of the work at the SGC. She and Dr. Warner had already discussed replacement, and this cemented it for her. In her medical opinion Sam should not have been released last night, and someone would need to go check on her, and that someone was entering her office at that moment.

"Hey, Doc, what was the final on Carter last night," Jack asked as he entered Janet's office.

"Good morning to you too Colonel. I was just reviewing her chart and I'm not real happy with her discharge."

"Yeah, that sorta surprised me too."

"Well, she had a dislocated right shoulder, cracked collar bone, and various assorted bruises. She is probably going to feel a whole lot worse today than she did last night. I'm going to need someone to take an additional prescription to her today, and check on her. Since SG-1 is on down-time do you think you could help me."

"Sure Doc, what should I expect?"

Janet didn't immediately answer as she finished her inspection of the chart.

"Expect me to make a housecall," she answered decisively as she snapped the chart closed.

"Okay Doc, your the boss. I'll let General Hammond know what's going on while you get your stuff together."

"Colonel, you may want to plan to stay for awhile today, ...if I don't bring her back."

"Way ahead of ya' Doc," Jack responded as he retreated out the door.

***************************************************************************

Jack knocked on Sam Carter's door as he turned the key in the lock. He brushed off Janet's raised eyebrow with a casual, "SG-1 exchanged keys," before raising his voice to announce, "Carter, it's me and Doc, we're coming in now."

"In the bedroom," Sam called, her voice pinched with pain. She was so relieved that Janet was here she hadn't even registered that it was the Colonel's voice that had announced them.

"Janet," Sam called as she heard the footsteps enter her room, still unable to turn from her position facing the window.

"Yes Sam, it's me," Janet responded as she walked around the bottom of the bed until she could see her friends face. "How are you doing Hon."

"God Janet, I'm so glad you're here. I...... It hurts, Janet. I can't move."

"It's okay Sam, just try to relax," Janet soothed as she set about examining her friend. "Sam, What meds did Dr. Glochill give you last night?"

"I'm not sure Janet. It wasn't much.......I mean everything he did hurt like blazes........ Janet please," Sam whimpered, feeling nausea roll through her stomach from the now constant agony.

"It's okay Sam," Janet soothed as she began to draw up a syringe, "This will help."

"Janet, I'm going to be sick," Sam moaned before her friend had completed the injection.

Janet barely had time to withdraw the needle before Sam began to retch, barely able to lift her head from the bed.

"Colonel," Janet called as she set about to help her friend.

**************************************************

The next hour passed in a blur for Sam. She was barely aware of the activity around her as Janet's meds began to take effect. It seemed like no time before she was clean and in a clean bed, Janet's meds having done wonders for the pain.

"Thanks Janet," Sam smiled as she lay against her pillow, "I feel allot better."

"No problem Sam. You are going to need some good pain relief over the next several days, that was quiet a tumble. I would still feel better if you would come back to the infirmary."

"Janet, you said you came to make sure I hadn't bruised my kidney or have any internal problems that might have been missed. You also said everything looked fine. True."

"True Sam," Janet admitted.

"Then why can't I stay here on good pain meds?"

"You are going to need help Sam. You are going to be sleepy and a little unstable from the meds I'm going to put you on, it wouldn't be safe for you to be on you own."

"Janet,I really don't want to go back to the infirmary."

"If you'll let some one stay with you, you don't have to."

"Unless you are planning to stay Janet, I think I'm out of options."

"What about one of your team?"

"Last time I looked I'm about one man short of having 'one' of my team," Sam muttered still unaware of the Colonel's presence in her home.

"Uhh, Sam, the Colonel's in your kitchen making lunch."

"He is?"

"Yes, didn't you realize when he carried you into the bathroom a little while ago."

"Janet, are you sure your drugs are legal?"

"Hunh," Janet responded, thrown by the seeming non-sequitor.

"Well, they must be some drugs if I missed that," Sam responded.

"Funny Sam, but he is here, and he's planning on staying."

"Janet, are you sure. I mean the Colonel has been avoiding me for awhile, and none of SG-1 even came by last night," Sam said, sounding a little sad.

"Sam, what happened yesterday was really major......"

"No kidding Janet I was there."

"Don't interrupt Sam, Kinsey had everyone spinning, now the Colonel is planning on staying, the General knows where to reach him, and Daniel and Teal'c will come over tonight when SG-11 gets back."

"The General knows he's here?"

"Yes Sam, you aren't doing anything wrong, just getting help from a friend"

"Yeah, your right Janet," Sam responded. "Friends," so why did that sound so foreign all of a sudden.

"Okay, that's settled. Let me just update the Colonel on your meds. Remember Sam, take them the way I say. You know your altered chemistry effects the action, probably what happened last night."

"Don't worry, I will. I have no desire to repeat the last few hours, and Janet.......Thanks."

"Your welcome Sam, now get some rest."

Sam didn't need to be told twice, she was asleep before the Colonel could even come in to check on her.

*****************************************

Sam awoke just a few hours later to the sight of the Colonel dozing in a chair by her bed,and the sight went even further than Janet's meds towards making her feel better. Sam smiled before trying to ease herself to a sitting position, the smile quickly turning to a grimace with the movement.

Jack O'Neill woke immediately upon hearing the movement from the occupant of the bed before him, "Carter, you okay?"

"Hi sir, I uh, need to............but I," Sam trailed off, never having felt so self-conscious about a trip to the bathroom. Maybe it had something to do with the undeniable fact that she was going to need an escort just to get there.

Jack grinned at her before helping her with a matter of fact ease that they had not shared in awhile. He was waiting for her when she finished, and helped her gently to the couch in her family room.

"You slept through lunch, but I'll fix you something light for now. Daniel and Teal'c will be by later with dinner and a movie, but you need to eat something now so you can take your meds."

"Thank you sir," Sam whispered when he gave her an appetizing snack, and her afternoon meds.

"Sam, call me Jack."

"But sir, I thought we..."

"I know what you thought, but we were wrong Sam. We are friends, just like Teal'c and Daniel. I wouldn't let a rumor mill separate me from them, why should I let it ruin our friendship?"

"It isn't exactly the same kind of rumors though."

"Well, there was that time that jerk implied that......thing.....I was supposed to have with Daniel, as if that could ever happen, makes me shutter to think about it. The only real difference here is that I really do care for you in that way, but we can't let rumor mill drive us apart or those rumors will never be any truer than they are now."

"You mean..."

"I mean I still care for you, I still ...........hell Sam, I still love you. I still plan for a happily ever after with you. I will not let rumors about a relationship that hasn't even gotten going ....yet.....ruin that. We are doing nothing wrong. The general knows that I will be here until you are better, hell, he probably 'knows' allot of things, but he trusts us to be the professionals we are, isn't it time we trust ourselves."

"I still love you too Jack, and I am so glad you are back. I ......"

"You what Sam, say it. We have to get this all on the table if we hope to move forward."

"Gee Jack, what happened to your no talk policy," she grinned devishly.

"I've let that policy destroy too many people for one lifetime, it's time I learned a little from Daniel," it was as he said this that Jack noticed Sam look down at her lap, her hands twisting her napkin. "Sam, what is it," he implored again.

"I have felt so alone lately, and it hasn't been just you, I .....even Daniel has been distant."

"Oh Sam, we let you down, all of us, in so many ways. None of us have known what to say or how to fix it. This past year has been so hard on you, and..."

"And then I let you get hurt because I couldn't do my job, I couldn't translate the most important word in the text," Daniel finished, startling Sam and Jack who had not heard the entrance of their two friends.

"Oh Daniel, that wasn't your fault," Sam responded. "That's the way we work, we're a team. You found the papers, if you hadn't there is no telling what would have happened. I don't mind any of that. I don't even mind being hurt, I... I just don't want to be alone."

"Oh Sam, I haven't been the friend I should have," Daniel whispered.

"None of us have Daniel," Jack interrupted.

"We have done you a great dishonor Samantha Carter. We failed to support you as a fellow warrior, a warrior who faces loss when the lines of battle are drawn. We should have drawn nearer to close the gaps in the battle lines, instead we allowed that hole to be unfilled, and thus left you open to further injury. In so doing we caused you a harm much worse than the physical, we caused you emotional distress, for this I ask your forgiveness."

Jack whistled softly to fill the silence Teal'c's uncharacteristic speech had caused. "Well said big guy."

"Oh Teal'c, Daniel, Jack.... I don't know what to say. Just, I'm glad your here now. I need you three, more than I ever knew."

"United we stand, divided we fall, it really is the truth," Daniel murmured.

"Well, now that's settled, did you guys bring a descent movie," Jack said, clapping his hands and attempting to lighten the mood.

"What Women Want."

"Daniel," Jack whined, "that's a chic flick."

"Jack, uh, hate to have to break it to you, but you said get Sam a movie, and well Sam's a...chic."

"Watch it Daniel, or I'll have to hurt you when I can,"

"Daniel, Sam may like the movie, but I think you blew it with the chic part."

"I may forgive him if the meal is from Outback."

"Jack, grab the plates, looks like I'll live to see another day," Daniel grinned.

Sam leaned back in the cushions and watched her friends bustle around her family room, all was right again. "United we Stand," she whispered, no truer words had ever been spoken.

*******************************************************************************************

Hope you guys enjoyed.

Wendy G.