samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: annab@triton.net

Season/Sequel: Speculative Season 5/6

Spoilers: None really

Archive: SJ yes/ Heliopolis Yes

Authors Note: My muse has been silent of late, but the uproar over the coming departure of Michael Shanks prompted me to write this little piece. Thanks so much to Becca & Debra for being wonderful betas. Any mistakes are mine & mine alone. The gang in the Tea Room their suggestions & support. I couldn't do it without you guys. By the way--I still hate the title.

Feedback is always appreciated.


The Gate room was dark. Not surprising at this late hour. While it was true that the mountain never slept, there were times when you could almost believe you were the only living being inside the mountain, deep in the bowels of the earth.

Tonight was one of those nights for Major Samantha Carter.

It had been just over five years since she first set foot in the SGC, located in Cheyenne Mountain. Five years since she'd stepped through the event horizon of the Stargate to find herself on Abydos; a scant five years since she had first met Doctor Daniel Jackson. She'd been looking forward to meeting the young archaeologist, the academic who had deciphered the writing on the Stargate and helped Sam and her team figure out how it worked.

She'd resented the fact that Jackson, a mere civilian, had gone on that first mission. Upon learning of his "death", she'd felt guilty at her pettiness. Then, one year later, came the amazing news that aliens had come through the gate and that Doctor Jackson was alive and well on Abydos. Before too long she had been summoned to Cheyenne Mountain to join Colonel O'Neill's team for the return to Abydos.

Daniel Jackson had appeared to be everything she'd been led to believe. In the Colonel's words, a geek. Slender and pale, he had seemed to be ill at ease with his role as leader of the young Abydonians who surrounded him. His shyness had also apparently extended to his relationship with his wife, a extremely beautiful young woman named Shar'e. And of course, his enthusiasm for the ancient was a given. Sam had instantly liked the Egyptologist and felt a kinship with him. And, even if he denied it, so had Colonel O'Neill.

Her respect for the him had grown during that first year together. Daniel's devotion to his wife and his absolute faith that they would save Shar'e was touching. His knowledge of Egyptians and their gods had also proved invaluable. Sure, Daniel could be impulsive; he had no military training, and occasionally failed to follow orders. This had put SG-1 in dangerous situations more than once. Over time, however, he'd learned follow orders, taking on the makings of a fine soldier.

Not that he ever stopped questioning those orders -- especially if they went against his peace-loving nature. Sometimes Daniel was right; sometimes it did work to talk things over first. And sometimes not. But in the end the members of SG-1 had learned to work with each others strengths and weakness and not against each other.

Sam sighed. Now Daniel was leaving SG-1. Breaking up the team and going out on his own. Rubbing her forehead she slowly sank to the ramp. As a military brat and a soldier, she long ago had become accustomed to change in her life. Consequently, she had seldom established close friendships, until now, until she'd joined the SGC. For the first time in a long time, Sam had people she called friends, friends she could turn to when times got tough and friends who counted on her for her love and support. Love and support. Those had been Daniel's exact words when he'd told her he was leaving.

*****

She'd been in her lab, working on the feasibility of using Naquada to power the space shuttle. Personally, Sam thought it was a dangerous proposition, but orders were orders and she'd make sure to emphasize her doubts in her report.

"Hey Sam. Got a minute?"

She looked up to see Daniel standing just inside the door. He was still pale and weak, his legs shook from the effort of walking from the infirmary. Janet had told her that Daniel had been extremely lucky this time. Sam had known the injuries he'd received during the battle had been serious, but Janet's expression had made it clear to Sam that they had nearly lost him this time.

"Sure," she answered, "come on in. How are you feeling?"

Daniel slowly crossed the room and settled on a stool at the edge of the counter. "Better," he said, "according to Janet, I'm making a remarkable recovery."

"Good. Did she say when you'd be ready to go back to work?"

"That's what I came to talk to you about, Sam." He took a deep breath and plunged along. "I'm leaving SG-1."

"What?!" The smile faded from her face and a frown creased her forehead. "You're not serious. You are joking right?"

Daniel shook his head. "No. Sam, I'm leaving." He held up his hand to stop the rush of words that threatened to bubble out of her mouth. "Please, Sam. Hear me out."

Sam just stared at him and nodded slowly. He was leaving. Daniel was leaving. It was all she could do to restrain herself from grabbing him by the shoulders and shaking some sense into him. But years of military training kicked in and she, outwardly at least, stayed neutral.

"I never intended to stay with the SGC, Sam, you know that. All I wanted was to find my wife and return to Abydos."

Daniel looked over at her sitting there with her back ramrod straight, her hands folded in her lap. Her reaction was nearly impossible to read. Sam kept her emotions tightly reigned in, unlike Teal'c or Jack.

Taking a breath, he continued. "After Shar'e died I stayed because I wanted Aphosis to pay for what he'd done and there was the child. I promised Shar'e I'd protect the boy from Aphosis." He reached over and took her hands, "Aphosis is dead, Sam. He's really dead this time." A sour cynical smile curved his lips, "after my last brush with death is was nearly really over for me. So I'm leaving and I am going to try to live my life. It's different for you Sam, this is your life. You were raised in the Air Force, you choose to join. I did't, it choose me."

"But Daniel--"

"Please Sam, I need your love and support right now. I need you to stand by my decision, I need you to understand."

Sam reached over and grasped his hands. "I do love you Daniel, and I will support you and I'm trying to understand." She smiled sadly at him, "I don't want to lose you Daniel, your friendship is very important to me."

He smiled back. "You won't even miss me. You've got Janet and Teal'c and Cassie, not to mention Jack. He might not be the brightest bulb in the pack, but he means well."

"That's horrible Daniel! You know Jack's just a smart as--" She narrowed her eyes. "It won't work Daniel, I'm still going to ask the question."

"I know."

"Why are you really leaving?"

He shrugged. "Because it's time."

Sam shook her head, "I don't believe you."

"Please, Sam. Just trust me. I need to leave right now. I'm not saying I'll never be back. I agreed to make myself available if I'm needed -- I just need to leave. I've spent virtually all my life studying ancient civilization. I think it's time to go and learn what modern life is like."

"I still don't believe you. I think there's more to it than that," Sam said as she stood up. "But I respect you. and your decision." She blinked back tears as she hugged him. "God, I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Sam." He pulled back and looked at her. "You'll make sure Jack stays out of trouble? And take Teal'c out into the world whenever you can?"

She nodded. "When are you leaving?"

Daniel let go of her and crossed to the door. "I officially resigned this morning. I have some things to pack up before I leave so I'll be around for a couple of days at least." Before leaving the room he looked back at her. "Oh and Sam? Take care of Janet and Cassie for me."

Sitting now on the gate ramp, Carter wiped the tears that spilled over her cheeks. That conversation had been two days ago. Eight hours ago Daniel had left the mountain for the last time. She'd stood with the rest of the SGC in the gate room and watched him go her heart sinking deeper in her chest with every step. She could hear Janet stifling sobs behind her, heard Teal'c murmuring soothing words and felt Jack's tension as he stood stiffly beside her. When the doors had closed behind Daniel, each had dispersed without a word. They headed back into the daily routine as if nothing had changed.

"It's not going to be the same without him."

The voice from the darkness made her jump. Hands stuffed deep in his pockets, Jack O'Neill emerged from the shadows. "Colonel, how long have you been there?"

"Not long." The colonel crossed the vast room and sat beside her on the ramp. "It's not going to be the same without the Space Monkey."

"No," she whispered. "No, sir it's not."

In the darkness, his fingers twined with hers as he offered her the only comfort he could. She shifted slightly, laying her head on his shoulder. For the first time in a long time she felt content.

"Got the paperwork on our new member today."

Sam raised her eyes slightly, not moving her head from his shoulder. "When do they start?"

O'Neill swallowed. "Tomorrow."

She nodded. "Tomorrow." And so, it would go on. Tomorrow a new member would join SG-1 and the journey would continue. It wouldn't be the same without Daniel, but it would go on. She lifted her head and glanced once more about the darkened room. It was from here that the four had embarked on the journey of a lifetime. and it was from here that Doctor Daniel Jackson had left the SGC for the last time. It would be from here that they began the adventure anew tomorrow.

The End

Feedback to annab@triton.net