samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: cptcastor@aol.com

Status: sequels to follow

Sequel/ Season: Life's Little Curve: Part One: Diagnosis Life's Little Curve: Part Two: Night Before Life's Little Curve: Part Three: The Call Life's Little Curve: Part Four: The Love Life's Little Curve: Part Five: All Day

Spoilers: None

Archive: SJ yes. Heliopolis yes, others just let me know.

I am very interested as to what you have to say about this series, so please send me feedback.


Janet's POV



I am so tired. But it is my duty as Sam's Doctor and as Sam's friend that I am there for her every step of the way. Tonight is going to be another hurdle.

"Dr. Fraiser, I am glad you are here. I suppose you want to discuss Major Carter." Dr. Adams said.

"Actually you are right, I want to discuss her treatments." I said. It had already been discussed about how treatments are going to run. After Sam gets out of the hospital, all her Chemotherapy would be done at the SGC. Of course we have not told them that. We mostly put that as the main option. We all know how Sam is about working.

"Well because of the extensiveness of the cancer growth that she already has shown, I want to put her on a real strong treatment, 5 days a week. That is only to begin with. When we start seeing a decline of the cancer cells, then we will back off. It is not going to easy or pleasant. Some of the medicines that go into the treatment are going to make her sicker than she has ever been before. I want to keep her in the hospital until we know for sure her reactions. Probably in two weeks you will be doing this at the base." Adams was blunt about it. "This is your first time to do this sort of medicine. Let me tell you Doctor, you are going to wish that you were not the one doing it. Even though I have been doing this for over 20 years now, It tears me up. It is hard to see a child during a treatment, or a completely independent woman who just found true love with a life ahead of her, or even a man in his 90's. Each case is unique."

I took a deep breath. I hope I am warned enough as to what will happen. I knew all the physical things that could happen. Both Teal'c and Cassie come to me and ask me questions over things that they read that they was more explanation about.

Adams and I both got up at the same time. It was time to discuss things with Sam about what was going to happen and then give her what was sure to be the first of several treatments. I just hope can live up to his promise and be there with her the entire time. If you are asking, yourself how I know that he promised her that, well the answer is simple. If you loved her like Jack does, wouldn't you promise her the same thing?

Entering the room, I notice Sam is sitting in a Chair, Jack is very close to her in another chair and Jacob Carter is across from them. It seems that Sam has been writing something out. I am curious as to what it might be but I cannot let curiosity get the better of me.

Out of some gut instinct like a scared Child, When Sam saw us, she immediately took Jacks hand and held it tight. Jack took his open hand and covered her griping hand.

"Sam, this is Dr. Leif Adams. He is the best." I introduce him to her, then to the rest of the group. "Dr. Adams, this is Major Carter, Major Carter's father - General Carter, and Colonel O'Neill."

"Well there is no easy way to discuss this, so I am just going to come out and say it. The rapid growth of the Cancer in your body has me real concerned, thought the majority of the cancer was removed with the mastectomy, it still invades your body. Now is the time for aggressive action. I want to start a powerful chemotherapy treatment. You will be here the next couple of weeks so that we can assess how it will effect you." Adams said.

"Do it. When do we begin?" Sam replied.

"Sam, don't you want to think about this before making a decision. Remember I have been through this. It is a big step." Jacob looked at her.

"This is a fight. A fight that I am prepared to fight and win. I am going all the way. When do we begin?" Sam said.

"In about 10 minutes." Adams replied. Looking around I notice a positive smile on Jack's face.

I watch Adams carefully as he starts the injections into Sam. The first one seemed to be ok. I see the smile on her face as she turns to me, "Gee that is not so bad." I give her a smile, but I know she will be singing a different tune in a minute.

Injection number 2 did change the look on Sam's face. She seemed to grimace a bit more. "Sam are you alright?" I ask knowing that may be a stupid question.

"Sorry, This one is making me feel a bit funny. I can't explain it." Sam said.

On third injection seemed to really show its power Sam calmly and casually said, "Ow that stings."

"I understand that Major Carter, but it does work. Just one more minute, and we will be done."

After the minute, Adams started with the 4th injection. "Hey, wait a minute, I thought that you said that you will be done." Sam had pulled her hand, which had the IV, away from Adams.

"Meant with that injection. Now I have one last injection for you, and I have to warn you, it will be the worse." Adams said as Sam gave him back her hand.

Jack moved around her and held her tight. Jacob took hold of her Shoulder. I could tell that Selmac had taken control of Jacob's body. I could only imagine what it would be like for a parent to see their child in. and have no way to control it. If it were to ever happen to Cassie…

I could hear Sam trying to stifle the moans of pain. She wanted to put of a brave front. Someone should tell her that she could still fight and have feelings at the same time.

When it was all over, things calmed down a bit. Jack helped Sam into bed and laid with her until she went to sleep.

When Hammond came by, we all exited the room.

"How is she?" he asked.

"Well she is a fighter. She took the first treatment." I said from a medical standpoint.

"I hate to do this but I need to put a status on her. Last thing I want to do is replace her, but…" Hammond said. It was evident that he had spoken to the powers that be and they are pressuring him to do something.

"Sir, I have a suggestion." Jack started. "We all know that Sam is now off of gate travel field teams for a while. Lets keep SG1 for special use teams and re assign Danny and Teal'c to SG2, for the time being. I prefer not to go off world." Jack then head up his fingers the way he does when he is trying to make a point. "I know what you are going to say, but I will not leave Major Carter, Sam, while this is going on. I know it should not have happened, but I lover her too much and I WILL not let her do this alone." I grinned at Jack. It was about time he confessed the truth.

"That is ok, but what about Major Carter when you are working on base?" Hammond said.

It was time I butted in on this conversation. "Major Carter, could be put on light Duty in her Lab. Colonel O'Neill could act as her Lab assistant when his paperwork is done. We could also do her treatment there on base. That way, Sam is still working and everyone will be happy."

"And her track record of overworking?" Hammond said.

"That can be part of my duties as well. Making sure she does not overdue it." Jack said. The attentions turned back to the room where a crash was heard.

Rushing in, I notice the IV Pole had fallen over and that it was strewn in the direction of the bathroom. Sam's hand with the IV extended out so that the IV would not be pulled out, however, she was hutched over the toilet vomiting.

I quickly moved to elevate the IV Pole and move it closer and Jack had moved to Sam to comfort her at this time. With things calming, Jack helped Sam to bed. Hammond, witnessing the recent event turned to me, "Doctor, I like you idea, and Colonel O'Neill's idea. I will implement them immediately."

I turned and looked at the scene that unfolded in front of me. 'This is going to be a long fight.' I said to myself.



The End