samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: e_naugher@yahoo.co.uk

Archive: SJ yes

Pairings: Sam and Jack

Spoilers: Small ones for COTG and Tok'ra (II)

Content: A short story

Warnings: None


General Hammond stood in the doorway between his office and the briefing room. He allowed himself a brief moment to regard his top team, a team that had caused him numerous headaches, had disobeyed enough orders to put them in prison for eternity, but above all had saved the planet countless times. A small smile toyed with his lips as he looked at each member of the team, a strange concoction of people that strangely complemented each other.

First he thought about Teal'c, previously First Prime of Apophis. He started as the enemy but continuously proved himself loyal to Earth, the SGC, but most importantly his team. Then there was Dr Daniel Jackson. An archaeologist who had gone on the first Abydos mission. He remembered their first meeting, his own blood boiling at this man's audacity but Jackson was full of urgency to find his captured wife. His gaze shifted onto Samantha Carter, a soldier and a scientist. His friend's daughter, Jacob now lived with the Tok'ra and so he thought of Sam as his own. She was intelligent but didn't boast about it or make anyone feel a lesser being for not understanding. She was definitely unique and important to all that she knew. Finally his gaze settled on Colonel Jack O'Neill, the CO of SG-1 and his 2IC. A man he had recalled to active duty nearly four years ago and a man who caused him the biggest headaches. Still, he was one of the best officers he had worked with, O'Neill never neglected anything that was important to him whether it meant disobeying orders or not. He was also well liked by everyone at the base but rarely let anyone get too close.

This brief moment of reflection brought to mind the delicate matter of the relationship between Carter and O'Neill. He knew they hadn't acted upon their feelings they were too professional. However, he had kept a close watch on the pair from their first meeting which had caused sparks to fly and over the years he witnessed the attraction become stronger with each passing day. He wasn't a fool, he knew that these kinds of feelings came along once in a blue moon and so he had decided to do something about it.

SG-1 were sat around the briefing table waiting for the General. They talked quietly amongst themselves until Hammond walked into the room and took his seat. "So General, what's our next mission?" asked Jack, who was full of energy even as he sat there. "Major Carter has a reunion to go to in a couple of days, so I have decided that you will all have a weeks downtime. Understood?" At the affirmative nods he received, he continued, "We will debrief at 08:00 hours in a weeks time. Dismissed." "A reunion eh Carter? Be sure to look happy and to rehearse your answers. It shouldn't be too hard to say, `classified'." Her answering smile was what O'Neill wanted and as Hammond watched the interaction he knew he had done the right thing. "Colonel can I see you in my office?"

When O'Neill stepped into the General's office Hammond gestured for him to take a seat. When all was settled, the only sign of O'Neill's energy was the movement of his hands. "As you know, Carter is going to her Academy reunion on Wednesday," started the General. O'Neill chuckled, "Yeah, rather her than me. I could never stand the things, all of the forced smiles and the pretending that you are pleased to see everyone." General Hammond shared those sentiments and knew that what he was going to tell the Colonel wouldn't make him a happy man. "Well son, Major Carter will also be receiving an award and as the Commander of the base that she is assigned to, I was asked if I would present it to her. She doesn't know about this and I would like it to remain that way. She deserves this, as I am sure you will agree." Realisation began to dawn on O'Neill, "You want me to present the award to her, don't you?" "You're more astute than you give yourself credit for," was General Hammond's way of affirming his suspicions. The General continued, "I thought it would be more appropriate as you are her CO and work with her everyday as well as spend free time together with the rest of the team."

O'Neill became on edge, "What about Daniel? He's good with words and things, couldn't he do it?" Looking at the expression on the General's face he knew that there was no way out of it. "Ok, so what time do I have to be there?" Hammond smiled and answered, "Hopefully we'll all be going. Daniel and Teal'c if they can make it, you and me. The award will be presented at 19:30 hours so why don't we meet at the Academy at 19:20 hours. The award is a secret and so is our presence so there's no need to go any earlier than necessary. If you could inform Daniel and Teal'c."

Hammond could sense the discomfort radiating from O'Neill's body and hoped that his additional news would make him relax slightly as well as make him and Major Carter happy. "One more thing Colonel before you go. Over the years I've noticed certain feelings develop and strengthen between yourself and Major Carter. I'm positive that nothing untoward has occurred between the two of you but I couldn't be happy if I ignored both of your happiness." O'Neill looked horrified. "Sir, you can't split up the team. We wouldn't be what we are if we weren't who we are. Does that make any sense?" he trailed off looking slightly confused. The General smiled warmly, "As crazy as it sounds, yes Jack it does make sense and that is why I would never break up SG-1. The solution is less drastic than that. I managed to pull a few strings and with the final permission of the President it was decided that if the two officers of SG-1 decided to pursue a relationship away from the base, no disciplinary action would be exercised against them." Understanding slowly crept into Jack's eyes, "You mean Sam and I can have a relationship and it won't endanger her career?" "Either of your careers," interjected Hammond. "I know that sir, but it was Carter's career that I was worried about. She's a good officer and I wouldn't expect her to throw away her future for me." "I'm glad son, that answer just proves that the decision that was made was the right one." The General could tell that Jack was itching to go and with a final statement, dismissed him, "I'll let you tell Major Carter the good news as you see fit. I'll see you Wednesday at 19:20 hours, dismissed."

Once Jack had left the General's office his first thought was to go and see Carter. He quickly changed his mind, however, and headed towards Daniel's office. "Hi Danny!" Jack said as a way of letting him know that he was there. "Jack, to what do I owe this pleasure?" enquired Daniel. "Hammond has just told me that I'm going to present Carter with an award at her reunion on Wednesday." Daniel laughed at the expression on Jack's face, "I don't know what you're laughing at, you and Teal'c are going to be there as well." Daniel quickly sobered at the thought. "We are meeting at the Academy at 19:20 hours so I'll pick you up at 09:00 hours, and don't say anything to her because she doesn't know." With that, Jack walked out of the door throwing over his shoulder, "And Danny, be ready!"

After seeing Daniel, Jack headed for Teal'c's quarters. Knocking on the door, he opened it a fraction. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I Teal'c?" A brief shake of the head was Teal'c's response, "O'Neill, is there something that I can assist you with?" "Actually Teal'c, I was just letting you know that we are all going to Carter's reunion as I have been volunteered to present her with an award. I'll pick you up at 08:45 hours and then we'll go and pick Daniel up." Jack headed towards the door and with a hand on the doorknob turned around, "Oh Teal'c, don't mention anything to Carter because it's a surprise." Seeing Teal'cs inquisitive look he continued, "Just don't tell her anything about the award."

A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER

Sam stood at the entrance desperately wishing that she were elsewhere. With a deep breath she pulled open the door and stepped inside. It wasn't too difficult to find which room was being used, as there were plenty of signs to direct her. Still, she would have preferred to spend the evening with her friends. She briefly wondered if she would recognise anyone or if anyone would recognise her. It was no secret that she hadn't many friends when she was at the Academy as most were too afraid of her intelligence. It was also no secret that the people she had been closer with were her teachers. As she resurfaced from her thoughts, she found that she had made her way to the room, which held a considerable number of people. Almost immediately she spotted a woman with whom she had spent much time in lessons. She started to make her way across to say `hello' when a hand grabbed her arm.

"Sam, is that you?" Sam recognised the voice to be that of Peter Jenkins. She remembered the young boy who had been her friend and who had stuck by her throughout the Academy. She realised that if it hadn't been for the very few close friends she had, life at the Academy would have been very hard. She was genuinely pleased to see Peter and they began to talk like old times.

It was 19:25 when Jack, Daniel and Teal'c arrived. "Cutting it a bit fine aren't we gentlemen?" was Hammond's way of greeting them. He was awarded by a look from Jack that clearly stated `don't get me started'. When they entered the Academy they were escorted to a small room, which adjoined the room where the reunion was being held. Jack was nervous, he hadn't had enough time to prepare and by the looks of things he was due to start. Offering up a quick prayer, he made his way to the door that would lead him to the makeshift stage where he would present Sam with an award for her remarkable contribution to Astrophysics. He cleared his throat and waited for his cue.

Meanwhile, Sam was still talking to Peter. She couldn't believe how quickly the time was passing and realised that she should really go and talk to others that she had known. Politely excusing herself from Peter's presence, she began to head towards a group of women she vaguely recognised. However, before she could include herself in the small group she heard a voice that sent chills down her spine. "Well, well, well. If it isn't the almighty Samantha Carter!" Sam cringed and turned around, "Hello Joanne." Before anything more could be said between the women, their attention was drawn to the front of the room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, could I have your attention please?" Seeing that everyone had stopped his or her conversations he continued, "Firstly, it's a pleasure to see everyone here tonight. Secondly, I would like to announce that somebody in this room will be receiving an award tonight." Hearing his cue, Jack opened the door and made his way to where the spokesman was standing on a raised platform. He was closely followed by, General Hammond, Daniel and Teal'c.

Most of the women's attention was now solely focussed on the front of the room. Sam was clearly surprised to see her friends and teammates. "Colonel?" she muttered. Jack began to speak, "Hey Carter, I bet you weren't expecting to see me and the guys here, were you?" Sam was still shocked but smiled at him. Seeing her smile made him relax and he continued, "Before Major Carter comes up here to receive her award, I would just like to say something. When we were first introduced, what I saw was a young remarkable geek, if I'm honest. But this woman was determined and even offered to arm wrestle me to prove she wasn't weak or afraid." After a few moments thought he continued, "I never did collect on that, did I Carter? Maybe later." The people around Sam were now staring at her, which made her feel a little self-conscious. `They are all probably having a laugh at my expense,' thought Sam. She really was going to kill O'Neill even if it meant that she spent most of her life in prison. She purposely looked at him and found that he was looking at her. The look in his eyes softened her as she listened to his next words. "However, that was when I first met her. Now that I have gotten to know her, I've realised that she is intelligent and funny and I am pleased that she works by my side. Enough from me come on Carter and get what you deserve."

Sam had received her award and had said a few words of thanks. She was now surrounded by, Jack, Teal'c, Daniel and General Hammond. They were stood drinking and laughing when Jack leaned over to say something to her. "Sam, there's something that I need to see you about. Why don't we go to the adjoining room where it is quiet?" Sam nodded and excused herself from the small group. Shortly after Sam left, Jack left the group. Daniel looked confused and looked at the General who wore a knowing smile. Shrugging, he took another drink and continued to talk to Hammond and Teal'c.

Joanne watched Sam head for the door, which the man she had referred to as Colonel had disappeared through a few minutes beforehand. Grinning evilly, she called, "Sam where are you going? We didn't finish our little chat." Sam looked uncomfortable and replied, "What could you possibly say to me that was worth saying, Joanne?" Smiling Joanne replied, "Just a little bit of advice Sam. Don't play with matches as you will only get burned." Seeing Sam's confused look she carried on, "I saw your Colonel going into the room you were just about to go into. You really should be careful Sam, you never know who might see." Sam knew a threat when she heard one and quickly moved away from Joanne.

After much debate as whether to go and see Jack, she opened the door to the small room. She saw him straight away, sitting unusually still. Walking towards him she broke the silence, "Sir, you wanted to see me?" Looking up for the first time, Jack looked straight into Sam's eyes. "Sam, I need you to know what you mean to me." Seeing the expression on her face he knew he had to keep going. "Every time that we go through the Stargate I'm glad that it's me you're going with. I need you to stand beside me in the field, I need you to laugh at my stupid jokes but above all, I need you." Sam began to back away, "Please sir," she paused, "Jack you can't say this to me." He held her gaze and the intense emotions she found there held her captive. "What if I told you I could say those things to you Sam?"

Suddenly something snapped inside of Sam and all of the suppressed feelings that she had for Jack flooded her. Anxiously Jack awaited her answer. "Jack, I don't think I can do this anymore." He started to protest but she cut him off, "You don't understand I can't ignore what I feel for you anymore. I love you too much Jack." Jack was elated, so much so that he strode over to where she was standing and kissed her. The kiss contained all of the emotions that both of them had hidden and denied for too long. Finally the need for oxygen demanded that they separate. Both Sam and Jack were so happy and then all of a sudden, Sam's face fell. "Jack, we can't do this. What about our jobs and responsibilities?" Jack laughed, relieved, "Is that all you're worried about? General Hammond has cleared it with the President, so everything's above board." Sam was about to speak again when Jack silenced her with a brief kiss. "Don't ask questions just accept it," muttered Jack.

They had been sitting and talking for a while when Sam looked at her watch. "We'd better get back to the others, they'll be wondering where we are," said Sam with a note of regret in her voice. "I wouldn't worry too much. Hammond has probably realised what we are up to and the other two are probably engaged in other activities," replied Jack while nuzzling her neck. Before she lost herself in the sensations he was evoking she insisted, "Come on Jack. Anyway, there's someone here who would just love to cause trouble for me." With a resigned sigh Jack lifted his head and enquired, "Is it the woman who was standing next to you when you were presented with the award?" No words were needed; Sam's reaction was all the answer that Jack needed.

When they stepped out of the room Jack casually put his hand on Sam's back. Sam smiled warmly at the slight act of possessiveness from him. Jack, however, sought out the woman who had been with Sam earlier and who, according to Sam, enjoyed causing trouble. He made sure she was looking and clearly sent her a silent message that clearly stated, `leave well alone or you WILL live to regret it!' Sam and Jack headed towards their friends and were greeted by General Hammond, "Here they are! I take it that things have gone well?" His answer was a brief nod from Jack and a delicate blush from Sam. Hammond's smile widened as he made a tactful suggestion, "It's been a long evening, why don't we all leave now? I'm sure that there are more interesting things that everyone wants to be getting on with." The group laughed at his comment and all agreeing, wandered to the front doors.

5 MONTHS LATER

General Hammond stood and regarded his top team once again. Nothing had changed, except that they all seemed happier. Carter and O'Neill had remained professional even though their relationship was getting more intense with each passing moment. The base had accepted their relationship immediately and without question, in fact it appeared that the whole base agreed that O'Neill and Carter would make their own formidable team. Hammond frowned, he recalled that there had been an attempt by a Captain Joanne Rowlands to create trouble for O'Neill and Carter but no big issues were made. As he watched the pair his only regret was waiting this long to ensure their happiness.

THE END!