samandjack.net

Story Notes: Inspired by a fic challenge on the As The Stargate Turns Yahoo Group, which was to write a drabble using the sentence "3 lighters, 2 MRI's and this shiny flashlight and that's my final offer." and/or the word "paperboy". Although this uses both, it is way more than a drabble, but the challenger, Secret Art, did say to feel free to use it for longer fics so I took her at her word. I couldn't stop myself! So thanks for the inspiration SA.

Archive: SJD, yes

Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Copyright © 2005 Su Freund


Never Alone

"Oh come on Daniel, play fair. 3 lighters, 2 MREs and this shiny flashlight and that's my final offer."

"Play fair? Tell me exactly why I would want 3 lighters, 2 MREs and a shiny flashlight, Jack."

Daniel's tone was acerbic and Jack winced internally, knowing he was probably going to have to confess if he wanted to make the trade, but trying to squirm out of it anyway. Daniel could be as stubborn as he was. It was so annoying!

"The MREs are your favourites. Cauliflower cheese. I know how much you love chicken," he grinned lopsidedly and Daniel laughed. "I never normally ask you for anything, so come on Daniel. Be a pal."

"If you tell me why you want it I'll consider it. So spit it out."

"Sheesh! Okay, okay but promise you won't tell?"

Daniel stared at his friend for a while, considering, and thought it might be worth the promise to find out what Jack was up to.

"Okay, I promise."

"For Carter," Jack reluctantly revealed, "her birthday is coming up and it would be sooo perfect, don't you think?"

Daniel was stunned to see a shy blush invade Jack's cheeks and, not for the first time, wondered at the regulations that kept his two friends apart. They both wanted it so much, that was glaringly obvious, and still they played by the rules, did their duty and sacrificed something that would make them both happy for the sake of their country. He thought that was admirable, but also a little bit foolish.

"Yes, it would Jack. She'd love it," he replied, "Take it. And I don't want your lighters, MREs or flashlight for it, my friend."

"You don't? Cool! But I have to find some way of paying you for it, Daniel. It's for S-Carter! I can't give her a birthday present I didn't even pay for! You won't take money, and so what will you take?"

"Oh, I don't know. maybe a beer or two next time I call around? And a decent take-out?" Daniel's nose puckered up with his smile.

"You'd get that anyway."

"I know," Daniel shrugged, "Then I'll think of something. Let's just say you owe me one."

"I'm not sure I wanna be in your debt anymore than I already am, Daniel."

"You think you're already in my debt? Really? And I always figured it was all of us who were in yours, Jack."

"Is that meant to be some kind of compliment?"

"Maybe."

"Then stop, already! You know I'm not so good with those!"

Daniel merely smiled, handing over his gift, and thought about what he might ask for in return.

*****************************

Jack woke early to the sound of the paperboy. It came to something when the paperboy beat him to the punch in the morning. He looked at his clock and realised he'd overslept.

"Damn!" he exclaimed, hurrying out of bed and hitting the shower.

Today was the day: Carter's birthday. Jack wanted to look special. The four friends that had comprised the original SG-1 were meeting early to drive over to Manitou Springs. They were spending the whole day hitting some of the local sites they'd never got around to visiting together, and then back to Jack's place for a barbeque.

Carter had been thrilled by the suggestion, which had been Jack's idea, but he'd got Daniel to do the asking because he was overwhelmingly reluctant to ask her himself. Daniel ribbed him mercilessly about the fact that he could face down the baddest of bad guys and yet couldn't face Sam. That had given Jack some pause for thought as he considered how ridiculous it was for a grown man of his age, and a two star General in the US Air Force, to boot. For crying out loud!

Jack could seem so cocky but when it came down to it he could be so shy it was almost debilitating. In matters of the heart, specifically when it came to Carter, he could freeze and become like a young teen again. It was kind of humiliating.

Declaring himself vaguely satisfied when he looked in the mirror, he gulped some coffee down just in time for the arrival of Daniel and Teal'c. Hopping into the back of Daniel's car, he settled himself down for the drive over to pick Sam up wondering whether Daniel had organised the seating on purpose so that they had to sit together. Probably. He guessed he should be grateful.

When they arrived at her place it had been happy birthdays and hugs all round and because his other two friends gave her a hug and peck on the cheek, so did he, thinking he could cope with that. He even managed to chat to Carter amiably as they drove to Manitou and hit a café for a big breakfast. During the course of the day, however, he became more withdrawn as his mind dwelled on what Daniel had said, and the present he planned to give Sam.

Daniel kept forcing the two to stick together for most of the day, dragging Teal'c off with him to do things, ensuring the big Jaffa stuck by him as they travelled around the various attractions that Colorado had to offer around those parts. He noticed Jack's growing reticence and wondered what both of his friends were thinking, hitting on a plan for later at Jack's.

When they eventually got to Jack's he fired up the barbeque and became more animated again, playing host.

"What wrong Jack?" Daniel asked while Sam was preoccupied talking to Teal'c.

"Nothing. I'm fine."

"Aren't!"

"I'm not gonna play those games with you, Daniel. Not tonight. It's Carter's birthday."

"And nearly time to open the presents. Nervous about giving her yours?"

Jack peered at his younger friend, narrowing his eyes. How the heck did Daniel know he had an attack of nerves?

"It's a little too personal, don't you think? Not really something a CO should give to one of his subordinates. Maybe we should have given it to her from the old team. It would have been more appropriate, don't you think?"

"Jack, you aren't directly Sam's CO anymore, or have you forgotten that? Aren't there a couple of layers between you and her now?"

"Yeah, but we're still in the same chain of command."

"Don't tell me you couldn't do something about that, Jack, because I'm pretty sure you can. The regs, I mean."

"Daniel, I don't really feel comfortable talking about this."

"No surprise there, but you have to face up to it sometime. Why not now? Are you gonna let it slip by again? You've been there and done that already old buddy."

"Daniel!"

Teal'c and Sam looked up towards their two friends at the sound of Jack's exclamation, but turned back to their conversation, so Daniel pressed forward despite Jack's obvious discomfort.

"What would you do if Teal'c and I weren't here?" he asked.

"That's not gonna happen."

"I could make it happen. Later. After the present giving and the food."

"Daniel, will you please stop interfering? You've been at it all day, don't think I haven't noticed."

"I'm trying to do you a favor Jack."

"Yeah? Well cut it out."

Daniel sighed loudly wondering if he should back off, but decided that was so not the right thing to do. Instead he considered that Sam would probably like a whole lot more than Jack seemed to want to give her as a birthday present, despite his sudden reluctance to give her even that much. A steely determination gripped him

"She'll love the present, Jack. Just stop pussy footing around and give it to her when the time comes, okay? Stop that shy Jack stuff, already. It's annoying."

"I can't help it. I can only be me."

"Worried how she might react? Scared she'll reject you?"

Jack looked irritated at the suggestion but bit back the anger. Daniel was right on both counts but Jack was never going to admit it. When his friend said nothing, Daniel fell back on the idea he'd had earlier that day.

"You still owe me for her gift, Jack." he said and O'Neill eyed him suspiciously, alert to the elephant trap he might be about to be pushed into.

"Yeah, and? What do you want Daniel?"

"Oh nothing much. Nothing you don't want to do Jack. Just that you ask Sam on a date, and kiss her, before she goes home tonight, is all." He grinned slyly.

"What? You have got to be kidding me!"

"No. Not kidding. You have to make me that promise or I take back the gift and then you have nothing to give her tonight. You know you wanted to give her that particular thing for a reason Jack, you just need to go for it."

"Daniel. please, don't."

"Someone has to force your hand. Don't tell me you don't want to."

"I-I. What do you think? Of course I do, it's just."

"As I said, you're scared she'll say no."

Jack scrubbed his hands through his short grey hair, taking a swig of beer before he responded so quietly that Daniel could hardly hear him.

"Yes I am scared, Daniel. Feel better now I've admitted it."

"Actually, yes. She won't say no, Jack. No way."

"Ya think?"

"Yeah, I think. In fact I know it."

"You know this how? Has she ever said anything to you?"

"Even if she had I wouldn't be telling you but, no, she hasn't said anything."

"Then how?"

"I have eyes. And so do you. Watch how she responds to you and then you'll know as much as me. Maybe it'll give you that courage you seek. Now you have to promise me, or you give it back."

Jack said nothing at first. His face had reddened and it was nothing to do with the heat of the barbeque.

"Okay, I promise I'll try Daniel. I can't do more than that, now, can I?" Out of the corner of his eye Daniel saw Sam and Teal'c approaching and, before they got into earshot, managed to conclude their business.

"Good enough. We've got a deal."

Jack nodded and after that the four friends chatted amiably and relaxed. Jack seemed to come out of his self imposed shell even further and was at his wittiest best, keeping half an eye on Sam to study her reaction to him, just as Daniel had suggested. He figured it was pretty positive and was heartened by that realisation.

Sam basked in the limelight of her three friends, having enjoyed this birthday more than any she could remember recently. She was more than a little nonplussed that she kept catching the General watching her, and felt embarrassed because it meant he caught her looking at him.

Managing to play along with it, rather than against it, as might have been the case, she allowed herself to relax and enjoy his company, flirting with him rather than turning into the shy Samantha Carter geek lady she knew was lurking in the wings ready to take over. Jack seemed to respond encouragingly and that pleased her, a lot.

As they ate, she looked forward to the present opening, which Daniel had insisted should come after the food, keeping her in excited suspense. She wondered what General O'Neill had got for her this year and nervously anticipated his present most of all because, when it came down to it, it meant more to her than a gift from anyone else. She felt a little guilty that this should be the case, but it was and there was no point in denying it. Daniel's idea to delay her self-gratification made it all the more fun and exiting.

Suddenly it was time and Teal'c was the first. He gave her an original New York Times from the day of her birth and she was suitably pleased, hugging him enthusiastically. Then, it was Daniel's turn. He'd wrapped his present in layer upon layer of tissue, which had them all hysterical as Sam got frustrated by each obstacle in her path.

"Daniel, isn't it bad enough that you made me wait until now to open them, and now this?" she said with evident mirth. Daniel merely laughed.

When she finally got to it, the present was one of those huge jigsaw puzzles that was the same picture on both side, but with one side of it at a different angle to the other side.

"These are almost impossible to do Daniel. Do you really expect me to do it? It'll take forever!" she complained, although with a chuckle in her tone.

"That's the point. I'll help, really I will."

Daniel tried to look serious with an added air of child-like innocence, which made her laugh all the harder, until tears of hilarity were rolling down her cheeks. The three men were amused, and Sam's happiness made them all the merrier.

After hugging Daniel in grateful thanks, she turned to look at O'Neill expectantly, noting his reticent shyness. It made him appear boyish and more handsome than ever. She couldn't fail to notice how sexy he'd looked all day, dressed head to toe in black: loose black jeans, tight black t-shirt, and black mirror finish polished boots. Positively ravishing. She buried those thoughts quickly and smiled at him, waiting for him to give her his gift. Whatever it was would be special because it came from him.

"General?" she questioned when he failed to move, looking towards the small parcel he held in his hand to give him a hint.

"You could call me Jack, tonight, you know. It's your birthday Carter."

"You call me Carter and expect me to call you Jack?" she ventured slightly cheekily, failing to add sir or General to her words as she normally did.

"Sam. I can call you Sam?" he responded, watching her so closely that almost every nerve in her body was aware of his gaze.

"Yeah, Sam would be good," she grinned, shivering with excitement, "are you going to keep me waiting all night, J-Jack?"

Neither of them noticed the quiet withdrawal of their two friends into the house at Daniel's signal. He'd been plotting and, although puzzled by this very Tauri way of behaving, Teal'c went along because, truth be told, he wanted nothing more than to see his friend O'Neill happy, and Colonel Carter too. He had long suspected their mating would be best for both of them but was not certain that any interference would be appreciated. Daniel Jackson had persuaded him that this was the right course of action and he sincerely hoped the archaeologist was correct in that.

Although both men were curious, they refrained from peeking out of the window to watch the pair's progress and hope they would see a result later. Teal'c gulped down a soda while Daniel sipped slowly at a beer, conscious that he shouldn't drink too much. If he did he was liable to ruin everything in one way or another because he knew control was something he lacked while drinking. He had to resist the temptation to poke his nose in further than he had already.

"It is time Daniel Jackson," said Teal'c.

"Yes it is."

"Then we must hope for your plan to come to fruition.

"It will, Teal'c, I'd bet almost anything on it," Daniel smirked.

Outside, Jack nervously handed Sam the gift and she saw his hand was trembling as he did so, which surprised her.

"Happy birthday, Sam," he said as she tore at the wrapping, revealing a small box that she opened with almost unseemly haste.

Her eyes widened as she saw what lay inside and Jack felt his face heating up again. He didn't think he'd blushed so much in years as he had over the last few days, particularly today. Today was special and not just because it was Sam's birthday, he hoped.

Daniel had been right to suggest that Jack saw the necklace as an opportunity, which is why he went to so much trouble to persuade Daniel into letting him have it. They had haggled for days, Daniel drawing out his agony for as long as possible, trying to get him to reveal why he was so desperate to get his hands on it, while suspecting he knew why. He wanted Jack to admit it. Only once he had done so had Daniel given in.

"It's beautiful sir. umm. J-Jack!" she exclaimed as she took the necklace out of the box to look closer.

"I wasn't sure it was appropriate, "she looked into his eyes at those words, "f-for me to give that to you. I hope you like it."

"Like it? I love it!"

She studied the necklace and knew instinctively that it was made from pure trinium. Turning the heart shaped disc in her hand, she tried to make out the words that were engraved upon it.

"It's in Ancient, isn't it?" she asked and Jack nodded, his blush deepening. He hoped the dimming light would hide it.

Disappointed that Sam hadn't hugged him like she had the others, because he believed that might be his chance to steal that kiss he promised, Jack watched Sam trying to decipher the markings, knowing she never would unless he told her, or asked Daniel.

He had so hoped to get that kiss in before she found out what it said. His heart was racing wildly with nerves and he cursed the promise he'd made, not sure he had the courage to carry it through.

"What does it say?" Sam asked, still reeling from the shock that Jack had given her something heart shaped as a birthday present. It was so unexpected, and exciting, but she wasn't sure what to read into it yet.

Jack had been watching her all evening and, despite his relaxed attitude earlier that morning, had grown increasingly awkward and withdrawn throughout the day, until tonight. Now she sensed his discomposure again. What did it all mean? Was it what she had yearned for? That would be the birthday present to top all: Jack O'Neill in her arms. Like Jack's her heart raced and her stomach churned in anticipation.

"J-Jack?" she pressed when she pulled herself out of her stupor.

"I-it. aw, hell! Sam."

He leaned closer, lifting a hand to smooth her hair. She felt it trembling and knew immediately what he intended. Why didn't he just get on with it instead of teasing and staring into her eyes with that lost and confused expression? Why? Did she have to ask? Clearly he was as petrified as she was at this moment.

By way of encouragement she mirrored his action, her fingers twirling the hair close to one of his ears.

'Do it!' she pleaded silently, 'please just do it!'

Finding his courage at last, his lips touched hers and, when she didn't pull away, he closed his eyes, parting her lips with his tongue to explore that moist haven as he had longed to do so many times. When Sam moved closer, clashing her tongue with his, he enfolded her in his arms, more confident now.

They came up for air some minutes later and Sam whispered "more please, more," enclosing her lips around his this time, and grasping him tightly around the back.

Reluctantly they parted, both exhilarated and left wanting more, but suddenly aware that they were not alone; their two friends were there. It wasn't until that moment they realised Daniel and Teal'c had pulled a disappearing act without them noticing, and they looked at each other and laughed.

"This is kind of embarrassing," Sam said.

"Oh! I-is it?" Jack stammered, thinking she referred to the kisses.

"Not. I didn't mean. I meant Daniel and Teal'c. I wonder where they went?"

To emphasise that she didn't regret it as he imagined, she brushed her fingers lightly over his cheek and smiled. Jack felt a flood of relief and pulled her into a close hug, burying his face in her neck. Despite the kisses, and Sam's willing participation, his nerves were still shot to pieces and his trembling vibrated through Sam's body. She returned the embrace, trying to bolster them both.

This was something they had waited too long for; she knew that. It would take some adjusting to their new situation.

"I don't really care where they went, Jack, just hold me tight," she whispered and he did, rocking her soothingly for a few minutes before uncovering his face so he could speak.

"W-will you come out for dinner with me, Sam? Friday night, maybe? A d-date?" He added that last just to make it perfectly clear what he wanted. He didn't want to be misunderstood, it was too important.

"Yes! I'd like to do that, a lot."

He smiled as he realised that she wanted this as much as he did. She was probably scared too.

"And maybe Saturday we can do something too, and Sunday. I'll think of something."

"Yes and yes, Jack!"

"You don't know how relieved I am to hear you say that."

She pulled back from him a little to search his face enquiringly.

"You doubted it?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you'd never ask."

"Which begs the question why you didn't, ask that is?"

"Because I've been just as scared as you Jack."

"I wasn't scared!" he blustered.

"Were too!" she did a reasonable impersonation of Daniel, which made Jack laugh and helped dissipate some of the tension.

"Wasn't" he riposted.

"Was!"

"Yeah, okay, I was."

"Not scared anymore?"

"Yeah, terrified."

"Me too."

"At least I'm not alone then."

"No, Jack, never alone."

He laughed at that and she looked at him curiously.

"Jack? What's so funny?"

"That's what it says."

"What?"

"The necklace, in Ancient. Never Alone. It says Never Alone."

"That's nice. I like that."

"I hoped you would."

He smiled and kissed her again, feeling happy and content with this outcome and relaxing into this new relationship a little.

"Thank you, Jack."

"For the present?"

"Yes, that and, well, for making this the best birthday I ever had."

Pulling him back into her arms before he could see the tears forming in her eyes, she massaged his back with her hands.

"The best birthday you ever had? Really? Cool!"

Both of them felt a bit over emotional and Jack loosed himself from her grip, picking up the necklace, placing it around her neck and kissing her.

Never alone? Too right!


The End