samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: If you're looking for realism, continuity, good characterization, angst, UST, or anything resembling a plot... sorry. This ain't it. This is nothing but nice, happy, mind candy, dreamed up in an attempt to cheer myself up after a horrible day. So sue me if I think SG1 should have a little fun every now and then. ;)


Learning is doing, not watching and waiting,
nor sadly debating what you fear to try,
seek your renewing, your own path be making,
the magic's for taking so take it and fly.
--Heather Alexander.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Jack, wake up. Everybody's going to be here soon."

Jack O'Neill groaned and swatted away the hand tapping his shoulder in a futile attempt to bring him into conciousness.

"Jack."

Damn. Apparently, she wasn't going to give up.

"Five more minutes."

"Two," Sam bargained as she rolled off the bed and started in the direction of the shower.

"Four." He stated resolutely.

"Jack, you have three minutes to be up and out of bed as of right now."

"Or what?" He retaliated.

"I'll lock the bathroom door," she threw back at him, her naked form disappearing into the bathroom. He was up and after her before she'd even had time to turn on the water.

Sam sighed in contentment at the blissful sensations assaulting her, created by the combination of the steaming water beating down on the both of them and his strong arms encircling her in a loose hug. She returned the gesture, her arms snaking up to entwine around his neck, her head buried in his shoulder.

They stood like that under the spray of the water, forgetting what they'd even gotten up for until everything went wrong at once. They heard Janet's voice before their ears had even registered the two pairs of footsteps coming steadily down the hall.

"Maybe they went for a walk or something... we should just wait in the living room..." Janet was protesting as the footsteps got louder and the shower began to run cold.

"Sam?!" Daniel called from outside the bathroom door. Jack shut off the water with a look that clearly said 'uh-oh'.

"Er... yeah, I'll be right out, Daniel!" Sam called back and stepped out of the shower.

~Please don't ask, please don't ask, please don--~

"Where's Jack? We saw his car out front."

Damn. She glanced at the naked Colonel standing beside her and watched as realisation dawned- there was no way out of this one. He closed his eyes in resignation and then called back "I'm right here, Danny."

They couldn't see the look on their friend's face, but the muted laugh that Janet failed to cover up told them all they needed to know.

"Jack?!" Came Daniel's cry of disbelief a second later.

Sam couldn't help but laugh as she heard Janet drag the archeologist back down the hall.

"What's so funny?" Jack demanded as they dressed hurriedly, his words belied by the look of amusement on his face. "You do know that this is all you fault, right?"

"*My* fault?!" exclaimed Sam indignantly. "How is it my fault?!"

"Well, I don't know yet," Jack conceded reluctantly, "but I'm sure that it is."

They were still arguing as they made their way down the hall to Daniel and Janet.

"Okay," said Daniel as they stepped into the living room, "you're both officers in the United States airforce; you're not engaged; you, Jack, are a colonel, and you, Sam, got promoted to Major two years ago; I joined the program after spending a year living on Abydos after we killed Ra; Teal'c is the fourth member of SG1; and we killed Apophis... several times. Right?"

Everyone started at the linguist as if he'd lost his mind.

"Right?!" He repeated insistently.

Jack nodded. "Right," he replied, confusion lacing his voice.

"Okay, so I'm not in an alternate universe... as far as I know..." his brow furrowed as he looked at his friends questioningly. "Anyone care to explain what's going on here?"

Sam ducked her head to hide her smile and then turned to Jack, waiting for an answer.

'Oh, no,' thought Jack, 'no way is she laying this one on me...' "Anyone want coffee?" Silence. "I want coffee." He pointed to the kitchen. "I'm gonna go make coffee."

Sam's eyes were a mixture of amusement and annoyance as he made a hasty retreat to the kitchen.

"No, Daniel," she laughed, "you're not in an alternate universe. Jack and I are... involved."

Daniel nodded slowly. "Okay... wait a second, Janet, you knew about this?" He raised his eyebrow at the doctor sitting beside him.

"Umm... kinda... yeah."

"And you didn't tell me?!"

"I was sworn to secrecy!" Janet protested.

Sam nodded in agreement. "Daniel, you can't--"

"Tell anybody, yeah, I know. What about Teal'c? Please tell me he doesn't know about this too."

Sam studied the carpet. "Actually..."

"What?! You mean I'm the *last* to know?!"

"Well," shrugged Sam, "General Hammond doesn't know..."

Daniel just shot them both a pointed look as Jack came back into the room. Janet threw up her hands defensively. "Hey, don't blame me because you're blind!" she laughed.

"Hey, where is Teal'c?" Sam changed the subject, "Wasn't he supposed to be joining us?"

Daniel nodded. "He's meeting us later."

***

"You know, this," Sam said, stretching her arms langorously over her head, "was a great idea."

Jack laughed, causing her head to bounce slightly from it's resting place on his stomach. "Only you, Sam, would sit in the park on a beautiful day like this, reading, he read from the cover, 'The Dynamics of the Gravitational Field: Normal Hyperbolic Equations and Characteristics. The 3+1 Covariant Approach to CPR Anisotropies.'

"CBR," she ammended.

"Whatever. The point is, we're supposed to be here celebrating Janet's pregnancy. You know, having fun? Hey, Daniel, if this kid ever has trouble sleeping, you can always call 'Auntie Sam' to read him a bed-time story."

"Her," corrected Janet.

"Him." Daniel stage-whispered.

"We're having a girl, Daniel, I think you should just accept it." Janet told him.

"Until I see some proof, I still think it's a boy." Daniel shrugged.

Jack watched the argument with amusement. "Janet, you're a medical doctor, you do know there's a relatively easy way to settle this argument, right?"

Janet rolled her eyes. "Daniel wants it to be a surprise, and I don't need the ultrasound, because I know we're having a girl."

"Boy." Mouthed Daniel stubbornly when he thought she wasn't looking. She saw it anyway and elbowed him in the ribs.

"Ow! Hey, that was uncalled for, *Doctor*, last I checked it's not exactly considered ethical to *injure* your patients."

Janet smiled. "Hey, if it means you have to spend more time in the infirmary, to hell with ethics." She laughed and brought her mouth up to his for a quick kiss, but found her half-hearted attempt to move away stopped by a hand to the back of the head as Daniel deepened the contact. She hummed softly in approval as his tongue swept into her mouth, one hand still buried in her hair, the other resting on her slightly swolen abdomen.

Jack rolled his eyes at the pair and snatched Sam's book out of her hand.

"Hey!" She protested and tried to grab it back, each time finding it just out of her reach. "Oh, you're gonna pay." She threatened to no avail. They wrestled for a full five minutes until she finally got it back, Janet and Daniel oblivious to the noise they were making.

"Fine," Jack sulked petulantly, "read your book, see if I ca--" He was cut off abruptly as she grabbed the back of his head with one hand, a fistful of his shirt in the other, and pulled him to her roughly.

He stared at her dumbly when she finally came up for air, their breaths still mingling as he blinked through the haze of testosterone. "Thought you were reading your book." He finally said dazedly.

"Got bored," she shrugged and then brought her mouth back to his.

"God guys, get a room," Daniel teased a minute later, his arms still wrapped loosely around his fiance. He thought his comment had been ignored until the slice of sponge cake hit him in the side of the head, leaving a trail of whipped cream as it slid down the side of his face and landed in Janet's lap.

"Hey, what did I do?" She protested.

Jack laughed. "Well, you're marrying this guy, that in itself warrants--"

The cake hit him square in the forehead, Daniel had good aim.

By the time the battle was over, only the 'rat' part of the 'Congratulations' cake had survived, the rest ending up smeared over SG1 and Janet.

"I do not understand this part of the celebration O'Neill," said Teal'c, who'd shown up halfway through the food fight. A piece of cake fell from his temple as he cocked his head, causing Jack to laugh harder.

"We Tau'ri can have a strange idea of fun, Teal'c," was his reply as he grabbed Sam and nuzzled the side of her neck, smearing cream all over her.

Teal'c just nodded once in acknowledgement and then deposited the last piece on Jack's head.

Sam collapsed into a fit of giggles as she watched her CO blink once in surprise and then calmly take a handful of cream and smear it over the bald head of the jaffa.

Teal'c stood stoic as usual, but Sam could swear she saw the promise of payback in his eyes as Jack announced "and on that note, I'm outta here. You coming, Sam?"

She nodded, laughing as Jack couldn't resist giving Janet a last 'congratulations' hug, wiping onto her all the cream he possibly could. The doctor just smiled pointedly and said in her best CMO voice, "I'll see you in the infirmary, Colonel O'Neill."

"Oops," Jack cringed good humordly and grabbed Sam's hand in mock fear as they left, waving to a confused looking Teal'c as Janet got to work removing the cream from her fiance's neck. He hoped for Teal'c's sake that he had something else to do, because he had a feeling that Janet and Daniel weren't going to be very good company.