samandjack.net

Story Notes: Notes: I originally started to base this off of a wedding I went to. I did go to the wedding that was mentioned, but the story just changed more and more as I wrote it. I am happy with this ending though. I hope you are. Oh just so you know. My experience did not turn out like Sam's at the wedding. I do lead a sad life. Where is my Jack when I need him?

Note 2: I am writing this one in Sam's point of view.


I walk around the base just finishing up with all my deliveries. First, I dropped off my report to General Hammond. I found it odd because General Hammond caught me and decided to have a little chat with me.

"Major, Sam, how are you doing?" General Hammond asked in that fatherly tone.

"I am fine, Sir." I replied in an inquisitive tone.

"Are you sure?" The General asked again.

"Why shouldn't it be, Sir?" I inquired.

"Sam, I worry about you. I guess it is part of a favor that I am doing for Jacob. Kind of looking out for his little girl." Oh great Dad has found me a surrogate father. Gee last time I checked my Driver's License; I could have sworn that it said I was 32. "Look, Sam, you just seem more sad and down lately." The General finally got to the line he was aiming for.

"I am just tired, Sir." I replied.

"I thought that might be all it is. You do work more than you should. Go home and get some rest. We debrief in 34 hours and you ship out in 35 hours. I do not want to see you on this base for the next 33 hours." The General smiled and as a gentleman, took my hand and opened the door for me.

"Sir, those are orders I will not dispute." I said with a smile.

"Goodnight, Sam." The General gave Sam a father kiss on the forehead.

"Night, Sir." I said, and then I left. Maybe a little fatherly concern was all I needed. I seemed to feel a bit more at ease inside.

For the rest of the reports, that was easy. Jack was not in his office, so I was able to slip that in and out real quickly. And as for the copies that goes to the general file clerk that was easy as well. The file clerk got off 5 hours ago.

Getting into my car, I notice that it is 22:15. That was remarkable because I was just in the General's office 15 minutes ago. Usually it takes longer for me to get off base.

Being at home was the best feeling in the world at this point. I did not want to deal with anything. The dirty clothes could wait another day and those bills. Well the bills could wait forever if I had my way. Calling it an early evening. I slipped into my nightshirt, and crawled into bed only after putting a Star Trek movie in the VCR. Ok I admit I am a Junkie. So sue me. At least the guys have not found out yet. I can just hear all the teasing I would get from being a closet Trekkie. (Author note: To Trekkies out there. My apologies. I am a Star Trek Fan as well, so I had to include it in some how.)

I did not get past the first 10 minutes of the movie before I was out like a light. The next thing I knew was that I was waking up to a phone call. Before reaching for the phone, I looked at the clock. 9:40 in the morning is what the clock read. I guess I cannot complain to who was on the line. Picking up the phone, I decided I was wrong.

"Yes I would like to speak to Mr. or Mrs. Carter." The young male voice said.

"Excuse me, but may I help you?" I asked, getting ready to play with this man's mind.

"Are you Mrs. Carter?" He asked me.

"No I am Ms. Carter. Mrs. Carter has been dead for a while." I reply getting out of bed and heading to the Kitchen for my daily pot of Coffee. I really love cordless phoned.

"Well then may I speak with Mr. Carter?" The Man did seem sincere but a bit unraveled.

"Well I would let you speak to my father but he is not here." I reply again with a smile on my face.

"Well then when do you expect you daddy home?" He asked me. That did it. I just had to do this.

"Well my Daddy is home. You see. I live here. Now what can I do for you?" I said politely.

"Well I need to speak…."

"Listen I live here, I pay the rent and the bills and I have not lived with my parents in on 14 years, so let me get this straight, if you trying to sell me insurance, then I go not need it. I am in the Air force and get wonderful insurance through them. If you are wanting to sell me Burial plots, the do not bother. I have 2 plots waiting in Arlington National Cemetery. And if you want me to change my Long distance or local phone service, then forget it. I do not want it. Now if you are representing something else, then talk to me." My fun was fading fast.

"Well my apologies, I am calling today with an exciting offer for Vinyl Siding." The man said after he cleared his throat.

I began laughing. I could not help myself. Who was going to tell him? Basically should I tell him? Nope, I think I am going to drag a bit longer. "I am sorry but I am not interested." I say politely.

"Not interested! Do you know how much you property value goes up? Why this siding can add years to your lovely home." He was into his sales pitch.

"Not interested." I again said.

"Today only, we will give you a free estimate and 20 % off the final cost." He was throwing out the big guns.

"Wow that an unbelievable deal that I cannot turn down but must." I was grinning from ear to ear.

"If you do not have the money, that I am sure we can work something out." He sounded egar.

"Oh trust me not having the money is not the problem." I said.

He finally relented, "Well then Ma'am, if you do not mind me asking, what is?"

"Well, Son, I do not have a house. I live in an apartment." I said.

"I am sorry to have taken your time," was the last thing I heard before the click of him hanging up on me.

I put the phone on the counter and go to the living room to retrieve my mail. Returning I grab my coffee, checkbook and sit at the breakfast bar. Shifting through the mail, I still had no desire to look at I place it all in piles.

"Bill, bill, ad, bill, junk, bill, bill, bill, bill. Man how did I accumulate so many bills?" I was saying to myself. Another thing I wish not to discuss with the boys. My ability to hold conversations with myself. Especially that I talk to myself. Anyway, back to the mail, "Bill, bill and Wedding invitation."

Jamie, one of those friends that I have outside of the SGC was getting married in 2 weeks. I cannot believe it. We have only known each other since childhood, but then lost touch only to be reunited this past January. But still. Jamie is a great friend. I really wanted to go. But I also know that I am not going to know hardly anyone but the bride, however I am determined to find someone to go with. The first person to come to my mind was Jack.

"You can't ask Jack out to the wedding?"

"Why not? I am completely in love with him."

"Just because every night when you close your eyes, you are in a world where you two are married and completely love each other, does not mean you should ask him. Besides he will say no. You do not even know how he feels for you."

"But there is one way to find out. All I have to do is ask."

"But what about the Regulations that forbid it?"

"Regulations are there to prevent the abuse of the power. My father taught me that."

"I am going to ask him. But just as a friend."

"Oh alright. Just as friends."

As I said before, I talk to myself. And have many strange arguments with myself, most of which I argue about my feeling for Jack O'Neill.

I put the invitation aside and go get another cup of coffee. I am going to need it when paying all those bills. After and hour and a half of writing checks, signing, sealing envelopes, and adhering stamps, I finally finish the activity that makes me feel more broke than ever. Gee forget that shopping trip to the mall.

I spent the rest of the day working around the house doing laundry and cleaning the refrigerator. I never knew how much Chinese take-out I have eaten until I started throwing out all those leftover rice containers.

I was never so happy to have 0700 hours roll around in my life. I was going back to work. Walking the corridors, I headed first to Colonel O'Neill's office. I knew he would already be there. If anyone worked more than I did, it was he. Granted he did not sit in a lab and run tests, but paperwork did take a lot of time. Sometimes I think that maybe he really is not working. Sometimes I think that he just does not want to go home. That is my problem as well. At my age I really hate going home to an Empty place. Maybe things would be different if I went home to Jack or…. No I a not going to start that again, then everyone will know I fight with myself.

Armed with the wedding invitation in my hand, I knock at Colonel O'Neill's door.

"Major, come in." Jack smiles at me. Wow that smile! Actually wow that man.

"Morning, Sir." I say with my smile as well. I cannot help but to smile. It comes natural when I am around him.

"You would not happen to have the MALP analysis on P3S768, would you? I seemed to misplace mine. I should at least pretend I know where we are going in 2 and a half hours." Jack looked at me in the eyes. I for some reason was speechless.

"Carter?" Jack now said with a concerned look on his face.

"Sorry, sir." I snapped out of it. "Yes, I have one on my desk, but it seems that you did not misplace yours far." I reached to the top file in Jack's inbox. "Your is right here." I handed him the file, and he gave me a look and took the folder. I am think that he may be trying to get me out of his office, but I am not quite sure.

"Carter, what's in you hand?" Jack asks as he points to the envelope I am holding.

I look at him bewildered, and then it hits me. This is my time to ask. "It is a wedding invitation, I brought it because I wanted to ask a friend to go with me so I would not be going alone. The only person I will know is the bride."

"Sounds like a good idea. Can't be a wallflower the entire evening. Have to have someone to have fun with." Jack smiled. Maybe I should just go for it.

"Would you escort me to the wedding?" I ask him. I cannot believe I asked him.

Jack stopped what he was doing, and looked at me, "I would be honored to escort you to your friend's wedding." Jack gets up and moves closer. He takes the invitation from my hand and barely brushed his hand against mine. "If you do not mind. I need to know where I am going before I go."

I relinquish the invitation. It makes sense that he should have it. He is going to look up the directions. That way he can boost his male ego by already knowing where he is going and not having to as for direction. Got to love the initiative.

"Wow, look at the time. Briefing is in 15 minutes." I say. I feel a bit flushed. I wait there until Jack dismisses me.

"Well then be better got going. " I take that as my cue to leave. Jack is not that formal about giving me permission to be dismissed.

The briefing went as normal. We are to scout the planet, find artifacts, bring back plant, and soil samples, and to save Daniel when he got into trouble. It is just another day at the office. Gees, I am even beginning to sound like Jack a bit. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? You tell me.

Well this mission sure beats the last one I was on. On the last mission, I got separated from the guys then I was caught by a Jaffa patrol. That was odd though. They knocked me unconscious. Left me there for dead I guess, and then Jack found me a few hours later. I was groggy and really out of it. Oh well, it could have been worse.

The debriefing was the best part of the mission, for me. It seems that lately I have been getting real tired real quickly. I just cannot shake what ever it is. I think I will talk to Janet later.

"Ok folks lets have the rundown." General Hammond said, this had also become routine.

"Well I did not find any artifacts of any interest." Daniel said.

"There was no indication of Gou'ald presence on the planet." Teal'c added it.

Now it was my turn, "The soil samples and plant life seemed to be exactly what you would see if you went to Yellowstone National Park."

"Basically, it was a planet, a boring trip." Jack complete.

"Very well. I am giving you all 2 weeks downtime. You all earned it. Dismissed." General Hammond said. We all stood up and the General started to walk by me. I started feeling queasy. And things started to slur a bit. Beads of sweat formed on my face.

General Hammond and Jack took an arm and gently sat me back down. While they were holding me, I passed out. A few seconds later I was awake again but a bit disoriented.

"Major, say something. Speak to me." Jack commanded and I looked at his face.

Blinking a few times, it took me a bit to get my barring. "I think I am ok now. I am sorry, I guess I am more tired then I thought."

"Come on, you are going back to see Janet." Jack said as he slowly helped me to my feet. "No arguments either." Right now, I was in no position to argue.

"Colonel O'Neill, as soon as you get Major Carter situated with Doctor Fraiser, I would like you to report back to me.

Moments later, Jack and I entered the infirmary and Jack helped me up onto an exam table. I felt a bit dizzy and I was glad when he grabbed me and held me on an embrace. I feel so secure in his arms. Janet then came into the room.

"What is going on with you?" She asked noting the way she saw us. I was very pale and really had no energy.

Jack piped in, "She passed out, and even I can tell she has a high fever." I managed to regain my composure and pulled away from Jack's arms. "Sam?"

"Sir, it is ok. Janet is here now and I do believe you have been requested to see the General after you leave me in Janet's hands." I said as I began to lay back on the exam table.

"But..." Jack started.

"Colonel, Sam will be here when you get back." Janet seemed to have a tome that stated the he needed to go. Jack was about to give more of an argument, but Janet shooed him out the door.

"Well Janet, seeing as I was coming here anyway…." I started to say with a smile, but then I stopped. I wish this room would stop spinning.

"Sam? What is wrong, and why were you coming anyway?" Janet asked beginning taking vitals like blood pressure, temp and pulse.

"I have been real tired lately and I was going to see of I may not be coming down with the flu." I said. My eyes are still closed shut.

"Well no matter what it is, it seems you are going to be my guest here for a few days," Janet then turned and started writing orders in my chart. A nurse started to insert and IV into my hand when she messed it up. She made 3 more attempts before she went over to Janet. I heard her make the comment that I was dehydrated and that it was difficult place the IV. Janet then came over and after several minutes of consideration inserted the IV herself.

It was some time later when I awoke again. I felt much better. I look around and Judge and it must be the wee hours of the morning. The lights are very dim and the late shift, which consists of 3 people, is on. I turn my head slowly once more and I see Jack sitting in the Chair next to the bed. He looks uncomfortable. Makes me wonder how he can sleep in that position. I motion toward him, but I cannot reach him. Instead of alerting anyone else, I decide to take another method of waking him. Within my reach is a small tissue box. I take the tissue box and toss it at Jack. It hits him square in the chest and lands in his folded arms. I smile, and almost laugh when I see him jump. I decide to close my eyes before he notices I am awake. Why not have some fun with him. I slit my eyes ever so slightly so I see him look around the room.

Jack turns down and looks at me. I forgot about my smile. I could not get rid of it. "Alright, Carter, I know you are awake." Jack said in a soft playful tone. I did not respond. He then moved closer to the bed leaning over me, "Ok, well if you are truly asleep then I think I can tickle you and you will not respond. Now where was it your Dad advised me was the spot to tickle? Oh yes, your ears."

Jack was even closer to me now; I can feel him. I open my eyes and realize just how close he is. Then I move up about an inch and kiss Jack on his lips. "You got me." I say before I register what I just did.

"Carter?" Jack asked and backed away.

"Oh, I am sorry, I…That is to say…" I started and then closed my eyes. What am I apologizing for? I wanted to do that. How do I tell him that? Maybe now it is not the time. "I really cannot explain myself, sir."

Jack himself must not have been ready for the answer because he did something that surprised me, "Alright, Carter, I will not push." Jack then sat at the edge of the bed. The distance was now not so far.

"What did General Hammond want?" I ask changing the subject. There was a change in Jack's face. It was almost a grief look. If I did not know any better, I could swear he might actually start crying on me.

"He wants SG-1 minus the most productive member of the team, to go on a trade mission. From there Daniel and Teal'c will be going to their leave time." Jack said. "You know you should be glad you are not going. We are going to go back to the Shavidai planet. Though you have lost enough pounds from the way you look that you could be more comfortable having to dress in proper attire."

"Well, seeing as to the destination of the mission, I think I will stay here in bed. Give my regards to Nayia and Abu." Jack smiled at me. I could see the weariness in his eyes. "Sir, go to bed. I am fine. Unless Janet has talked to you about what is wrong with me. To be honest, I went right to sleep after the whole IV fiasco."

Jack chuckled. He did notice the numerous IV punched on me, and decided to delicately touch each one. "Well, I am afraid that you have the flu, and because of you overwork trying to prove yourself to me, which by the way you have already done, you are malnourished and dehydrated. Doc says you can go home when she can see your veins again in your arm and when you eat a good meal. Which is why I have on hold for you a dish of your favorite pasta at Archello's." I looked at Jack suspiciously, "Well Doc did say a GOOD meal. And seeing as I have this mission, Alfredo from Archello's had to be the next best thing."

"Yeah well, get well, Major. I expect you to be up and going on our next mission. And I would not want to make that and order, though I will if I have to." Jack smiled and left the room. I was alone again, but happy. I decided to close my eyes and get more sleep.

The next morning I was greeted by a vision of my three heroes. OK, So I need them more than I care to admit. "Hey, Guys. What's up?" I tried to sit up but I fell back in the bed.

"Not you." Jack said. I could swear I see a twinkle in his eye. Well the smirk was on his face anyway.

"Sam, we wanted to see you before you embark. Is there anything you need?" Daniel said as he came close to the bed and gave me a hug.

"Yeah, there is one thing." I say knowing that they will not do it, but at least I can make them feel a bit guilty because they are going with out me.

"Name it." Daniel said with an appeasing smile.

"Take me with you. I do not want to be here." I noticed Jack's face turn solemn, like it did last night. I felt for sure that he was hiding something from me.

"Sorry, Major, not this time. Get some rest." Jack turned away from me, and headed for the door. Maybe kissing him last night was not the most intelligent idea that I had. He seems more distant from me. Maybe I should request a transfer before he gets back from the mission. That way, he will be more at ease.

"Take care, Sam." Daniel said and joined Jack.

"Do not worry, Major Carter. I will watch them for you." Teal'c finally said.

"Thanks, Teal'c."

Then they were gone. They were off to have fun.



******************** II - Alone Without SG1 ********************



A few days later I was home again. I was under direct orders to take it easy and no driving. The no driving order was not hard to follow seeing as my car is at the base. Janet Drove me home and filled up my fridge. I had no reason to leave. Being home for 2 days, I already felt stir crazy. Just how may movies can a girl watch?

Today was different thought. Jack was supposed to be home tonight. Well that is what the schedule said. So sue me. I cannot stay out of my E-Mail. He left me a message before he left that when he came home from the mission that he would stop by. Good thing I had plenty of Beer and had Stephano's Pizza on the speed dial.

At about 2300 hours, I became worried. It was not like Jack to not show up. It was too premature to call the base. After all I am supposed to stay away from any undo stress. I think making them think I am worried over Jack would tip off that not only am I not obeying the doctor's orders, but I am not following regulations as to appropriate behavior concerning a senior office.

I gave up and went to bed. I decided the sooner I got to bed, the sooner the morning would come and I could start my calling. At around 300 hours, there was a knock at my door. I swear if that was Jack, I am going to kill him for coming at such and odd hour.

I stumble to the door, and look out the peephole. When I identified who it was, I immediately opened the door. I ushered General Hammond and Janet inside and offered them a seat.

"Major," the General started, "I am sorry to disturb you at such a late hour, however, I felt I needed to tell you myself."

I had a look of confusion on my face. There was only 1 reason that I could think of that the General would get me out of bed for to tell me about. My Father. Imagine my shock as he continued.

"Colonel O'Neill has been taken captive and killed my Apothis." The shock was overwhelming me. Jack was dead. I went weak and I fell back on the couch with the guidance of Janet and General Hammond.

"How?" I asked. Then I began to wonder do I really want to know?

"Dr. Jackson had just uses the Gate to go to Abydos, and Teal'c had gated to Broca. After that Colonel O'Neill was suppose to gate back here, but when he did not show, we sent a team after him. One called Abu met the team. He recounted what happened." My heart sank lower and lower. I fought back a tear from my eyes.

"I have to see him." I stated.

"Sorry, Major. There is no body. Apparently the Gou'ald took the body with them." The General said. He did seem sure of all the answers.

"Then he could still be alive. Sir, permission…" Anticipating my next words, I was stopped.

"Negative, Major." The General said. His face then turned from one of a General to one of a father. I could see the pain in his eyes. But there was something behind that pain, and it was not Jack's death.

"Sam you are in no condition. You are still very weak." Janet chirped in, clarifying the medical reason why I am not allowed on base. Then something unexpected happened. General Hammond pulled me in a hug, like a father/daughter hug in which, a hug that you would use in the death of a mother, or son in law.

I could feel Janet rubbing my back and I heard someone say to just let it out. So I did. I started crying. Then I backed away. I needed to be practical.

"We need to tell Sara, and Jack's parents, and has anyone recalled Daniel or Teal'c?" I keep going on. I was already planning a memorial service, and then I stopped.

"General, if Apothis took Jack's body, then Jack may be alive, we cannot leave him. Please let me go." I pleaded.

"Alright, Major. We will contact the Tok' Ra. See what they can do and what intelligence they can get for us. And when we have something solid, then we will plan a rescue, or the memorial service. Sam, if you are right, then we will get him home and then we all will have to have a talk." The general said.

The General and Janet then escorted me to my bedroom and tucked me into bed. Janet then pulled out a syringe. Taking my hand with the IV Catheter still attached, Janet administered some sedative.

"What was that for?" I protested.

"It is make you sleep." I gave Janet a long look (one of those, if looks could kill looks)

"Now Sam we know you track history. You are still weak and you need to sleep." Janet said. Then I was out again.

Around 10 am the next morning, I awoke to the smell of Coffee and baking. I assumed that Janet may have stayed the night with me in the living room, but when I entered from the bedroom, my face lightened up a bit. Sitting at my table was General Hammond and my father.

"Dad?" I ask as I move into the room. By the morning, I am feeling much, much better.

"Hey, Pumpkin, how is my little girl feeling this morning?" Dad asked me. He sat me down at the head of the table and went to get me some coffee.

"Much, Much better, I think I finally kicked this flu thing. I am ready to go after Colonel O'Neil. Just say the word and I can get Daniel and Teal'c and we will head out." I informed them strongly and passionately.

"Nice try, Major but you are not going that that is the end of it. And I am ordering you not to come to base, until Dr. Fraiser approves your return." General Hammond was most defiantly back into his CO mode.

"Yes, Sir," is all I said.

"Besides the best Tok'ra are on the case." My dad said and then put my coffee and a place of fresh fruit and homemade muffins in front of me. "Now my child, EAT! You can rest assure, I will care for you until you return to work."

"Alright, that is it. I have had it. Now I want some answers." I claimed rather loudly. I knew there was more that I was not being told.

"Excuse me, Watch your tone Major." The General said. "What are the questions?"

"What is going on? I know you all are hiding stuff from me." I say. By now I am standing.

"Sam?" My dad looks at me puzzled or maybe a bit shocked. I am not sure which, perhaps both.

"Look, Dad, I love you, but you would not be here if it was a simple flu." I say.

Selmac takes control of Dad and speaks. "Samantha, your father is greatly concerned for you. Ever since he found out what you do and since I have been introduced to him, he worries more. Just indulge the old man."

I found myself chuckling. The general was as well; we both said in unison, "You and Dad have been spending too much time together." Of course the general called my dad, Jacob.

A few days past, Dad has been great driving me around to different things. I had been giving permission my Janet that I could get out some but still no driving and I was not allowed to over do it. I asked her if she really thought that I would over do it. And her response was that maybe I should be put on bed rest again. I agreed to her terms.

I awoke one morning to a phone call. I went to answer it but I guessed that Dad already had. I could hear him as I was walking into the room.

"I am sorry, she has been a bit busy, but yes she will go. No just one person." Dad then took a sip of his coffee. "And Jamie, Congratulations. I am sorry I am going to have to miss this event." Then Dad hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" I asked getting myself a cup of coffee.

"That was Jamie. She did not hear from you on if you were going to the wedding next Saturday, so I told her that you would." Dad replied in his father tone.

"Dad, I am not going. I will be alone. Colonel O'Neill was supposed to go with me. I cannot go to the wedding not knowing what has happened to Jack." I thought it was in poor taste. Then one thing hit me, I said 'Jack.'

"Well you need to get out and go. Have fun. How often is it when your friends get married?" I realized it was useless fighting with Dad.

Life was pretty boring sitting at home watching the paint dry. Yes I actually did that because I actually convinced the Super of my apartment to paint my whole place. I got to pick out the colors.

No one would tell me anything that was going on base. Especially no one would tell me about the search for Jack. I almost believe that they quit looking, but did not want to tell me. I know that there is more that they are not telling me. I am sure of it. And I feel it has to do with my 'flu'. Yes I believe that I do not have the flu. If I did, then I would have been back to work by now and I would not feel so sluggish at time. I would have long since recovered from it. I would say something but I do not want to go that round with my father. Even with Selmac, he could still get his way.

On a Daily basis, I manage go get online and connect to my E-Mail at the base. I think they caught on because I usually do not get more than 3 e-mails a day where usually I get about 50 or 60. Granted part of those are from Jack and Daniel sending me jokes. I never knew how much I missed it until it was gone.

It is now Wednesday before the wedding and Janet took off from the base to take me shopping. I get up and I am dressed and ready to go.

"Morning Dad, it smells great. What are you fixing?" I ask giving him a kiss on the cheek and then getting a cup of Coffee.

"Tonight's dinner. Now that I am home for a bit, I want to cook. I miss cooking." Dad said with a smile.

"So anything you want me to pick up?" I ask him.

"Yeah, could you get me a card for Jamie, if you do not mind. I am going to be stuck here all day."

"Sure thing." I reply then there was a knock at the door. Janet stood there with Cassie. Cassie is going to be spending the day with my father. "Hey Janet, Cassie. I am ready to go."

"And we are ready for you to go. Mom has been on my case all morning." Cassie said and then went to Jacob.

"That is alright, Kid. We will eat Pizza and Ice Cream and won't pay them any attention. Ok, you two need to go now. Need any money?" Dad said. It was like I was a teenager again, which at my age is fun.

"Dad, I think we have it covered, but thanks anyway." I gave Dad and Cassie a kiss and then exited the door. I turned once more and handed my coffee cup to Dad, and kissed him again.

Shopping was an experience. I never knew that there was so much stuff on a bridal registry. I was overwhelmed. I opted for something a little more personal. I decided to buy then an afghan with a roaring fine in a fireplace on it. On the card, I put 'For all those cuddles on a cold day.'

When I bought the gift I thought that I was done. I thought that maybe that we could go to a movie or out to Lunch, or something, but Janet had other things on her mind. She dragged me to a little dress shop. It was a quaint little place sort of out of the way. I wondered how it survived, but returning clients swear by it. Janet did not care if the cheap discount center moved in. She would always shop at this store.

"Ah hello Janet, How are you?" The elderly sales lady greeted.

"Wonderful, Aunt Sophie. I am here to spend money today." Janet smiled at her.

"Of course you are. That is my rule. I guarantee that you will find something perfect for you." Then the woman turned to me. "And you my dear must be the young lady that my Janet has been telling me about. Sam is it? I already have you pegged."

I looked at woman and then at Janet. Janet had a huge smile on her face. "You do need a dress for the wedding." Janet said.

"I have one." I responded. I already decided to wear what I normally wear.

"You cannot wear your dress uniform. You are not in the wedding and it is a civilian wedding." Janet said. I think she is getting frustrated with my lack of interest. "Come on Sam. It is ok."

"No, it is not, Jack is god knows where and you all will not let me go find him. I am just not in the mood."

"My Dear, I realize that you are hurting, but that does not keep you from living. And what would Jack say if he could see how you are acting." The woman said. You could tell she was wise. I let a tear slip.

I wipe away my tears with my hand and turn to the woman, "What do you have for me?" I say with a smile.



******************** III - The Wedding ********************



It is the big night of the wedding and I sit in my room. My stomach is in knots. I really do not feel like going to this wedding. I had not heard from Daniel or Teal'c. Every time I want to as if they have been contacted, there seems to be some reason I do not get and answer. I still think that everyone is keeping something from me. Things make me question everyone's sincerity. I am grateful that everyone is sticking around and keeping me company, however, it is scaring me.

My father has left all his obligations with the Tok'ra and has not left me for more than 6 hours at a time. It is treating me like the time I was 5 and had a bad fever again. Don't get me wrong I love my father and I am glad to know that he is here, however, I just have this feeling.

Another thing is this stupid Flu. I just cannot seem to shake it. I still have the grogginess that goes along with it. I think that I would recover faster if I was to start working again, but it seems that others do not agree. Janet is always worried about me being stressed out. What is up with that? Anyway back to the wedding. I sit here on my bed in my bathrobe. What I need is an excuse to get out of here. I hear a knock at the door.

"Sam, Are you decent?" My Dad calls out.

"Yeah Dad, come on in." I say as I look over at the door.

"You are not even dressed." My dad obviously pointed out.

"Well, I really do not want to go."

"Go, you will enjoy yourself. Dance, Drink, enjoy, after all you do have an airman to drive you around." Dad said. "Oh I tried to talk George into letting you use the Air force Limo, but I lost the poker game, so you have to go in the standard issue car." Dad just laughed.

"Good thing you did not lose me." Sam laughed.

"I brought you some tea. Now, my beautiful baby girl, GET DRESSED. That is an order!" Dad smiled at me.

My response was of course, "Yes, Sir" and I snap to attention and give him a salute.

I finally put on the evening dress that I picked out. With and evening summer wedding, I wanted to be cool yet elegant. Janet was right about the dress. The event horizon Color blue silk sleeveless dress is defiantly me. What gave it that extra touch of elegance was the black lace overlay. The pattern to the lace was simple roses. I did my one second inspection in the mirror. I looked ready. Just wish my heart was as ready as my body was.

Once again there was a knock at my bedroom door.

"Are you decent?" Dad yelled.

"Yeah, Dad I am." I say and turn around. I see him just standing in the doorway just staring. "What? Do I have something coming out of my nose?"

"Oh, no Sammy, I am just admiring my beautiful daughter. Is that a Crime?" My dad crossed over and gave me a hug. "Well Cinderella, your pumpkin is here to take you to the ball."

"Dad, I..." But Dad put his finger over my mouth.

"It is a shame to be so dressed up and not go the wedding. Besides what are you going to do with a bunch of old war horses sitting around discussing what it was like when we were in the military." Dad guided me out of the room. And then we went outside to the car and finally handed me over to the corporal in charge of my transportation to and from the wedding. "Have a wonderful time."

And that was it. I was off to the wedding. We made it just in time. I sat back in the back alone. I watched as things transpired between the bride and Groom. Jamie looked absolutely gorgeous, and her husband just as handsome.

The reception was another matter. I started the evening with wine, besides wine there was not much to drink. I was not quite ready to go to the keg and get beer. The Bride and Groom entered and dinner was immediately served. I really did not feel like eating anything. I did not feel like eating at all. Another side effect of this flu was my lack of hunger.

The evening went on and on. I sat at the table alone. I got up a few time to get more wine, and to get some cocktail napkins. I came up with an excellent idea for the Stargate. It is amazing what alcohol does to the system. I wonder if General Hammond would test out the theory at our next debriefing.

Time goes on and I sit and watch the happy couples dancing. They seem happy. I close my eyes and imagine what it would be like if Jack was here with me. He could hold me close during the slow songs and I could force him to keep up during the more upbeat tempos.

The time came for the bride to throw the bouquet. I decided that I would get up and try to catch this one. Or at lease pretend to put on a good show when catching it. I know the question when I get home.

'Did you catch the bouquet? Did you try?' Who knows who would ask, but at least I would not lie.

Then it was time for the Cake and all the customary toasts. I joined in with the crowd to watch the events unfold. After that the house lights dimes and it was back to the dancing. I take my seat alone at the table and begin to sip on the bud light from the Keg I decided to visit. I once again passed up the cake still not hungry.

I closed my eyes and started to stretch my head and back a bit. I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Sam, I am so glad that you made it." Jamie and her husband (whose name BTW is short for Samuel) Sam came to the table.

"I wouldn't miss it." I say squeezing her hand and smiling.

"Why don't you join the dancing?" Jamie suggested.

"Oh I am not much of a dancer." Well not alone anyway. "Besides I think I have had too much to drink. I enjoy just watching everyone else have fun."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am. I am having a wonderful time." I reply. Suddenly the announcer for the evening called the bride and groom to the dance floor.

"Ok, folks, I am afraid to have to inform everyone that this has to be the last dance of the evening. So everyone grab their favorite partner and take this one nice and easy."

Suddenly Faith Hill's song Breathe started to play. I sit there with my head sulked to the ground. I have half the mind to get up and walk out and get some air. Something stops me. Of shall I say someone?

"Excuse me, but may I have this Dance?" I feel his hand on my shoulder and I knew from his own personal smell who it is that is asking me.

"I could never say 'No' to you, Jack." I get up and grab his hand tightly as he escorts me to the dance floor. I decide that right now, even if it were a dream, I would want it to last. After the song, I would confront him on his disappearance.

Jack pulls me close to him and holds me tight against his body. I move in close resting my head on his shoulder and I close my eyes letting him guide me through the song. When the song ends, I refuse to let go. I still clutch onto him with my eyes closed.

"Sam." Jack whispers into my ear. "Sam?" Jack again whispers, but this time more of a panic in his voice.

"Sorry, Colonel, It just I thought that you were dead, and if I was dreaming this, I did not want to lose it." I reply, I then thought about how silly I was sounding.

"Sam, the name is Jack, and you are not dreaming this, and I can prove it." Jack moves in close to me and takes hold of my face in his hands. "If this was a dream then you would not be able to feel this." Then it happened. He kissed me. From that moment, the world changed. Jack was right, this is not a dream and he did come back to ME.

We release each other except for our hands and headed back to the table. "Sam we have to go now." Jack said as he took hold of my purse.

"Go? Go where." I question.

"Back to the Mountain." I walk with Jack arm in arm. WE walk outside and I feel the cold air of the night rushing about. Jack takes off his Jacket and wraps it around me.

"Jack, I am not allowed to go there. It is deemed off limits to me. Janet's orders."

"Well I outrank Janet." Jack smiles at me and then opens the door to his new Blazer. I look curiously back at Jack and wonder if I am actually going to get the truth.

"Jack, I have a driver." I state thinking about the Corporal that drove me here."

"Yeah, I know, me. Corporal Adams left when I got here. Perks of having a high rank." Jack smiled at me.

"Jack, I have a right to know what is going on." I look at him. "I know that things are being keep from me for some reason, please help me find the answers."

Jack starts the car and then reaches over and kisses me again. "Believe it or not Sam, this time, I have all your answers."



******************** IV - Answers ********************



The drive to the base was is silence; I just sat there and stared at him. I could not ask any questions just yet, but I knew that I had to ask them soon. Of all my suspicions about things that I feel are being concealed from me and such, there is one thing I want to know first. How is Jack and why all of a sudden are we kissing all the time.

Hey do not get me wrong; this man has been the man of my dreams since I was a little girl. Oh yes, I have dreamt of him that long, but it was the night, that first night after I met Jack where that man of my dreams had a face. However the fact of the matter is, He is my CO. I am under his command. It can't happen. WE can't happen.

Before I know it, we are back on base. Jack has already made his way around to my door and is starting to pull me out of my daydream.

"Hey Sam, Lets go get your answers." Jack softly touches my cheek and gives me a slight kiss. A guard sees the transaction.

"Colonel? People can see us. I am not in the mood for a court mar…" The Jack shuts me up by kissing me again.

"Sam I do not care anymore. I am not going to hide or run from these feeling I have for you anymore. I happen to love the feeling I hold for you and I am not fighting them anymore. Sam, I love you. Deep down, I feel that I always have loved you. Even if you do not return the emotions, I still love you and I always will." Jack made his argument clear. Like I said before, how can I deny him?

I respond the only way I feel is appropriate. I pull Jack in close for our first passionate kiss that we share as Jack and Sam. "I know one thing for sure." I say after we break the kiss.

"What is that?" Jack looks deeply into my eyes.

"I am tired of running as well." I say as I hold him tight against me.

"Lets go get your answers, shall we?" We walk arm in arm so close that you could not even out a piece of paper between us.

We walk into the Briefing room and everyone is seated waiting. When I say everyone that includes Daniel, Teal'c, General Hammond, Janet and my father. Jack and I in our usual spots, but we are a bit more closer than usual. "SG1, I am glad you could make it. It seems that we have a delicate matter to discuss, Jacob?" General Hammond turned to my father and he got up and made a military presentation. What shocked me was the fact that it was science in nature.

"Well everyone, Tok'ra operatives have released some startling information. The Gouald created a virus, which they want to use to infect all Tau'ri. The plus news is they are unsuccessful. They were unable to create such a bio weapon that was communicable so who ever were infected could not transmit it to others. However, they could still inject it into and it is lethal only after a few weeks. One of you was infected. But we do have the cure." Dad said, then everything clicked.

"I was." I said. "That is why you have been around so much and why everyone seemed to spend more time and care with me. And why I was not allowed back on base."

"Yeah, Sam. A couple missions ago, you were infected. It happened when we found you knocked out. A group of Jaffa attacked you. Apparently there was a Tok'ra with them." Jack said from what he heard.

"Colonel O'Neill is right, at that time, The Tok'ra could not risk his cover. He needed to obtain the antigen for the virus. He managed to get out a signal to inform us what happened. He was then killed before he could get your cure." Dad added.

"That is where I came in. The day you passed out in here, was the day the rest of us found out. This was not in your best interest to know about. And I did not want to give you false hopes. When I cam back into General Hammond's office, Jacob was there. He came to gather supplies to go in the mission himself. At that time, I volunteered to do it myself. My death/disappearance was staged. Reports went through the system lords, to that it gave me more of an edge undercover." Jack then took my hand and kissed it. I turned white.

"Oh and besides getting your cure so that you can live, and getting the virus and the cure for Doc. Fraiser to work with, I get to this to you all I want." Jack then gave me a kiss. Whoa, is it getting hot in here? "And General Hammond cannot give any repercussions because of it."

I looked confused. Jack can see that. "Everyone, meeting dismissed. Colonel, you are in charge of making sure Major Carter get to the infirmary. From what I hear, the IV drip needs to be started soon."

"Yes sir."

The room was clear and I was once again alone with Jack. There is so much I want to say but can't.

"I think I have some explaining to do." Jack started.

"That would be nice, I am still confused."

"When Hammond called me into his office, Jacob was already there. They asked me to sit and explained what was going on. Sam, it was then when I told them that I was going after the cure and when I returned, I would retire so that I can dedicate my life to you. General Hammond then told me that it was foolish to retire. He could tell that me loving you has produced my best work. See I am always trying to prove myself to you. Sam, I love you and I do not want to lose you over this."

"Looks as if you won't either. Jack, I have so many feeling in me right now, but cure or not, I am glad you are here with me now. Tell me about this cure."

"Hey don't look at me. I am just the delivery man." Jack smiled.

"So I guess I have to tip you now." I rebuddled.

"Well it is COD so I guess you do have to pay me, lets just start with this." Jack moved in close and started to kiss me.

I spent the next two weeks in the infirmary. Wouldn't you know it? The cure consisted of a constant 2-week drip. Jack stayed with me the entire time I was laid up in bed. I was not allowed up for any reason. At least we had fun with it. And now, that I am cured, I do so miss those midnight sponge baths that Jack would give me. But that is another story.

We figured that 5+ years of dating was enough, so while I was in bed, Jack and I managed to lay down (I could not allow Jack to sit up could I?) and plan our small simple wedding. Well it is more like and Elopement in Tahiti, but at least we are together and we are both alive.





The End