samandjack.net

Story Notes: Sequel/Series Info: Sequel to Never Alone Part 20: A Chain of Reactions.

Spoilers: Ripple Effect, plus general for S9

Author’s Note:

1. This story is dedicated to Livi after our discussions about Jack's neighbours. I'm sure she'll guess why!

2. It fulfils the requirements of a fic challenge from the As the Stargate Turns Yahoo Group (issued on 4 February) to include the line "Carter, isn't mine the best?" and/or the word 'National-Anthem' in a fic. This includes both and has not been beta read so I hope there aren't too many errors and that you will forgive any that you find.


The official reports coming out of Cheyenne Mountain about the recent peculiar events had been downright disturbing but that was nothing compared to the impact the unofficial ones had on General Jack O’Neill. The whole notion of alternative realities made Jack's head spin, and one of them at a time was more than a normal human being should be expected to handle. A number of them clashing together simultaneously had brain exploding potential.

For starters there had been multiple Sams. In many ways that didn't bear thinking about and the whole idea gave him a headache. On the other hand, he kind of wished he could have been there as it might have been fun, albeit a little weird. The overall IQ of Planet Earth must have gone up by zillions of points as a result of those multiple appearances.

On top of that were all the Daniels and Teal'cs. Oy! Teal'c might be okay as at least he was a pretty quiet guy but Daniel? Sheesh! Jack couldn't help but wonder what multi-Daniels talking at each other might be like but when he imagined the scenario he was pleased he hadn't been there to drown in the sea of earnest intellectualism. Daniel might be a good friend but he could be way too over the top sometimes. Jack figured that the feeling was probably mutual, albeit that Daniel's reasons would doubtless be totally different to his.

As for Mitchell, Jack didn't think he knew the guy well enough to judge how much multi-versions might bother him although he did believe that too much of any one person might be considered a bad thing and it was an experience he could happily miss.

Then there was Janet. Reports of her appearance provoked entirely different trains of thinking. How he longed to have been there to see her again and that he hadn't been was his one regret about the situation, although he had to confess that it would have been a little strange. It also would have been good to see his old friend smile again, and hear her voice.

Janet Frasier as a member of SG-1? That really was something. It seemed they were having quite a few problems on her version of Earth and, although he wouldn't have wished her reality any harm, he would have liked it if she could have stayed in his reality.

Jack was, however, very happy that they'd been able to help out by giving her the plague cure and figured that it was good to know that she was alive and continuing to harass patients somewhere out there, and probably in more than just one reality.

Reports of her appearance had merely served to remind him how much she was still missed and he figured Sam and the rest must have had very mixed feelings about the whole thing. They'd made a collective decision not to mention the incident to Cassie, rightly because it was top secret, of course, but more importantly for other reasons that were way more personal. He dreaded to think how young Cassie would react to such news. It was better for her if she knew nothing about those events.

The experience of both Janet's appearance and their own must have been somewhat bizarre for all of his friends. Sam had said as much in their phone calls but she hadn't dwelt on events. Jack wished they'd had the chance to talk about it face to face but they hadn't and that was something they had to get used to if they were going to survive this long distance relationship.

But, then there was Martouf. That had been quite a surprise. The notion of the young Tok'ra becoming a member of SG-1 was quite disturbing, all the more so because he'd heard that Marty joined the program so he could be with Sam in his reality, and that they had lived together. That was one heck of a shocker.

Secretly, Jack had believed that he and Sam must eventually get together in all realities, but maybe that was a flight of fancy brought about by his deep feelings for her. Marty and Sam together? Jack didn't like that one little bit because he'd envied those feelings Sam had for the Tok'ra due to Jolinar and harboured a fervent wish that it was Jolinar and not Sam who felt them.

When he'd heard from a source within the SGC about the behaviours of one Samantha Carter and snakey Marty while together during that time at the SGC, Jack had been quite upset and, to some extent, he still was. The whole thing troubled him at a fundamental level. The fact that Sam had failed to mention Martouf when they'd subsequently spoken on the phone was a kick in the teeth and got him to doubting things when he really shouldn't have been.

One might imagine that Jack was confident in Sam's feelings. After all, as they were engaged to be married, surely the relationship was safe and secure. Jack, however, had a fragile ego in some matters regarding Samantha Carter, and he had witnessed Sam's confusion and emotions about Martouf with his own eyes.

Thus the revelations impacted adversely on his psyche because, when it came to Marty, Jack didn't know how Sam felt but suspected that she felt some things he would rather she didn't feel about another man. Simply put, he was both jealous and scared. He didn't like feeling that way about a dead man and was deeply troubled about what his reappearance might have stirred up in Sam.

From everything he'd heard on the grapevine, it seemed they'd been pretty cosy together. Why hadn't Sam mentioned it to him? Jack figured it must be guilt and his imagination was working overtime creating worse case scenarios around situation – as always. He'd told young Cassie's Chris that he had a negative personality and he was a worse care scenario kind of guy and that was so true.

Jack was good at that because it was a requirement of his job, but the problem was that it could spill over into his personal life and demoralize him. So that was where his head was at right then: demoralized and just a little depressed. If only Sam had said something, but the fact that she hadn't made him downright suspicious and he couldn't get it out of his head.

Just how fortuitous or otherwise it was for Francine Butler to arrive on Jack's doorstep when he was at his most vulnerable is anyone's guess. Jack opened the door reluctantly because his caller was persistent, and he was determined to give the person on the other side of the door short shrift. Then he opened it and a beautiful raven haired beauty with a big smile on her face was standing there looking him up and down with a downright hungry expression on her face.

"Hi, I'm Francine Butler," she said in a husky voice, holding out her hand genteelly to shake his, "I live across the street. I always meet and greet the new folks on the street, particularly the single handsome ones, but I've been away so I'm sorry I haven't dropped by until now. You're General Jack O'Neill and you are even more handsome close up than at a distance."

She seemed to purr those words at him like a large predatory cat and Jack was bamboozled by that so, before he knew it, he had taken and shaken her hand and she was inside his house looking around.

"I see you haven't done that much to the place since you moved in. If you need any help or advice I'd be happy to oblige. Interior design is one of my many hobbies and I know a lot of people in the trade."

She carried on in similar vein for a while as she poked around a little, and continuing to glance at Jack in what he thought was a rapacious manner, and he had to confess that he was feeling flattered by her obvious interest. At that moment, his ego needed flattering and Francine couldn't have called at a better time.

"So, aren't you going to offer a neighbour a drink?" she asked eventually.

Jack was more than a little flummoxed by her slightly overbearing manner and clear intentions towards him and only managed to stammer a nervous response.

"Um, I-I… sh-sure. What would you like?"

"Got any bourbon?"

"I think so."

He mixed them both a drink, trying to work out how to deal with the situation without totally alienating one of his close neighbours. He'd only just moved in, for crying out loud, and could do without the hassle. On the other hand, some company might be good, for a while. Jack's own intentions towards his neighbour, however, in no way matched hers and he didn't want to insult her.

Deliberately taking a single chair, as opposed to sitting on the couch next to her, Jack sat back and settled down to enjoy the ride.

"So, why don't you tell me all about yourself," she asked, looking unperturbed by his subtle rebuff.

"Not much to tell. Career military. Air Force."

"Pentagon?"

"Yep."

"The patriotic type, huh?"

"You bet. Stars and stripes, national anthem and hail to the chief through and through," he replied with a cheeky grin, and Francine giggled.

"So, what do you do on those hallowed halls?" she asked.

"Ack! Can't go there. If I told ya I'd have to kill ya!" he quipped and she responded with a throaty laugh that made the remark appear more amusing than it actually was.

"What about before the Pentagon?"

"Same thing," he replied, smiling.

"You aren't an easy man to pump for information, are you?"

"Nope. I'm the quiet type."

"They're the best ones," she responded with a seductive smile.

"What about you?" he asked trying to turn the subject away from him.

Jack very much doubted that would work for long but he had to try. Francine was the type that took a great deal of interest in what men did because men were generally flattered by that sort of thing. She used that to get what she wanted and Jack knew for certain that she wanted him. Fun, perhaps, but he wasn’t really interested.

She was the kind of woman who might have made a good one night stand or casual affair, if Jack was into that kind of thing. Sure, he'd had his moments with both, and quite a few of them. Many women found him attractive and they always had so he'd never been short of offers, or been reluctant to take advantage of them, but that was in the past. Now he was engaged to Sam and that was it as far as Jack was concerned.

He hadn't even looked at another woman since they'd started dating. Well, sure, of course he'd looked but he'd been strictly hands off. Commitment was important to Jack and play the field he might have done but, from here on in, it was he and Sam, just as it had been with Sara. The idea that Sam might have had a fling with Martouf was ridiculous and Jack knew that. He didn’t doubt that she but was concerned that she might be confused by the Tok'ra's reappearance in her life. Jack believed that Sam was committed too. If she weren't then god help them because this long distance thing would never work without that, and a lot of effort from both sides.

Communication was the key to keeping them together, especially in their circumstances, and Jack did worry sometimes that he wasn't up to that. Sam had failed to communicate to him anything about Martouf and that nagged at him, eating him up from inside out.

He tried to listen to Francine as she told him a little about herself. She was divorced and apparently had lots of different interests, as she had implied earlier. Jack was finding her company entertaining but his mind kept straying back to Sam. He couldn't help himself.

For her part, Francine could tell that she had not grabbed this man's attention, or not in the way that she wanted, but it didn't stop her interest in him. Once she turned her mind to something, Francine Butler wasn't the sort to give up easily, and she had turned her mind to the sexy grey haired man sat before her. The less he said the more interesting he became: a puzzle to be solved, a book to be opened and read, a tempting morsel to be devoured.

Although General Jack O'Neill was obviously reluctant to talk about himself she was pretty sure she could find a way to draw him out, albeit painstakingly. She would pick up something here or there as they talked and would use it to prize out more information, slowly but surely. It wasn't the first time and it probably wouldn't be the last. And if at all possible, before the night was over, she would be taking him into her arms and having sex with him.

From her perspective, that looked like it could be worthwhile because she figured he'd be good in bed. He oozed sex appeal and was very sensual in the way he moved and, frankly, his entire persona. What she particularly liked about it in this case was that Jack O'Neill didn't appear to be aware of the fact and Francine loved that in a man so was determined to make a score.

Francine was at ease with men, which could make them feel at ease with her, and the two chatted amiably about all sorts of different things until Jack asked if she wanted another drink. She hoped that was a good sign and, when he got up to mix them, followed him and softly ran her hand along his forearm as he poured.

Jack leapt a little at that signal, spilling some of the amber liquid, and decided that now was the time to nip this thing in the bud. He shouldn't lead her along without any intention of following through.

"Look, Francine I'm flattered, really I am…" he started.

"But?" she said, drawing back a little.

"But I just got engaged to a woman I love very much and have done for years so…"

"You're not interested."

He shrugged apologetically. "Sorry. I didn't mean to lead you on it's just… You're a very attractive woman and good company and in other circumstances I'd probably jump at the chance…"

"But… again." She smiled at him, regarding him seriously for the first time that evening.

"Yeah, but," he responded, grinning back with one of his irresistible smiles.

"That's a pity."

"Probably."

"Where's your fiancée?"

"Sam's in Colorado Springs. She's military too."

"That's a long way away. Are you sure you don't want to play? She need never know."

"I would know."

"Faithful type, huh? That's refreshing in a man."

"You might say I'm committed. Very committed."

"I wish I could say that makes me lose interest, but it doesn't."

"Oh."

"Does this mean I should leave?"

"Well, I mixed you a drink now so we can't waste that, can we?"

"Not even one little kiss as a reward for my efforts?"

"I-I…"

She leaned up to him, hopeful that he might respond, and they were locked into each other's eyes, so much so that Jack didn't hear anyone enter the house and was surprised when a small cough interrupted them.

"Um, what the hell is going on?" a voice said and Jack leapt away from Francine hastily.

"Daniel?" he cried, lurching from one state of bamboozlement to another.

"Looks like it was a good thing it was me and not Sam," Daniel said reproachfully, shocked by the sight that had met him when he entered.

Jack was taken aback by his sudden appearance for one moment forgetting that he should be wondering what Daniel was doing there and how he had got into the house. Both men stood staring at each other opened mouthed for a while and it was Francine who broke the silence. She might be a determined woman but she wasn't a fool. Now was the time to beat a hasty retreat.

"I think I'd better get going, Jack, and leave you with your friend. I really hope I haven't screwed anything up for you. Rain check?"

"Er… er… sure, Francine. Do you mind seeing yourself out?"

Francine nodded and, as she walked past Daniel, her predatory gaze alighted on his handsome features and she wondered if he was single and whether he was staying around for a while. He wasn't a silver haired fox like his friend the general, but he was extremely cute with his own distinctive kind of sex appeal. Now might not be quite the right time but she determined to find a way to introduce herself properly to the younger man. If Jack O'Neill weren't available maybe he'd be willing to fix her up with his friend.

As she brushed past him, Daniel paid no attention to her but remained staring at Jack, dumbfounded.

"Daniel, what the hell are you doing here?" Jack said eventually finding his voice.

"What's going on Jack?" Daniel countered with narrowed, suspicious eyes.

"Not what it seemed. How'd you get in for crying out loud?"

"Sam's key."

"W-what? She gave you her key?"

"Surprise!"

"Too damned right. I nearly had a heart attack."

"Because it was me or because of what you looked like you were about to do."

"Jeez, Daniel, I wasn't doing anything!"

"You should have seen it from my angle."

"You don't know me better than that?"

"Apparently not."

"That's enough! I'm not interested in another woman. For crying out loud, I love Sam and I'm not risking that after all these years, right?"

Daniel looked at him for a few moments more without speaking, as if trying to decide but actually cursing himself as a fool. Of course he knew Jack better than that. What had he been thinking? He'd just walked in at a bad moment, as always, and got the wrong impression. So his face broke out into a big smile.

"I'm sorry, it's just… I'm sorry," he had the good sense to look shamefaced and Jack accepted that.

"So?" Jack asked simply, expecting an explanation.

"I wanted to see your new house, congratulate you personally for your engagement to Sam, yadda, yadda, yadda." Daniel smiled and Jack returned it thinking that his friend had been hanging around him for too long, "So I thought I'd drop by. Hope you don't mind."

Virginia and Colorado were a considerable distance apart so one didn't just "drop by", but Jack didn't comment on that.

"Mind?" Jack responded, "Seems I'm choice less. You're here now." Noting a flicker of disappointment on Daniel's face, he added, "It's good to see you, Daniel." He smiled and Daniel approached with slight trepidation, pleased when Jack gave him a brief hug and patted his back. Relieved, Daniel returned both gestures. "Drink?"

"Coffee?"

"You bet. Kitchen's this way. I'll give you the two cent tour."

"I like what I've seen so far. Looks big, Jack."

"I need lots of space in case my friends drop by," Jack replied with a quirky smirk and Daniel grinned. "So Sam gave you her keys, huh? Pity she didn't come with you," he sighed wistfully.

"Just as well she didn't walk in and see you with that woman but, actually, she did come."

"What? Where is she?" Jack asked, his face lighting up at the notion that he was going to get to see her after one of their usual way too lengthy separations.

"She went to meet Betsy Sheridan and we-I wanted to surprise you so she gave me her keys and told me to let myself in."

"Meeting Betsy, huh? No doubt that means she won't be arriving for a few hours." Jack was a little disappointed by that but then perked up and added, "So I got you to myself for a while?"

"I know I'm no Sam substitute, Jack, but I hoped you might be pleased to see me."

"Sure I am! No Teal'c?"

"He's gone off to see Ry'ac."

"Right."

Jack made the coffee and then showed Daniel around the house, after which they settled down in his living room to talk.

"I'm so happy for you and Sam, Jack," Daniel said after they'd gone through the niceties of small talk about Jack's house, Alexandria and the Pentagon.

"Me too. And without you maybe it never would have happened. If it wasn't for that pendant, and her birthday…"

"You might never have plucked up the nerve?"

"Who knows?"

"And yet you never even called to tell me you'd got engaged."

Jack detected the hurt tone in Daniel's voice. "Your angry about that?" he asked.

"Maybe a little pissed. You called Teal'c!" Daniel's bottom lip jutted out peevishly.

"Daniel…" Jack started, about to create a number of different excuses but changing his mind and, unable to meet Daniel's eyes, he stared down at his feet and mumbled, "sorry."

Daniel was taken aback by his friend's immediate contrition. Jack didn't generally apologise for his errors quite so easily. However, he wasn't so quickly accepting of Jack's apology.

"Oh, well that's all right then," he replied in a slightly sarcastic tone. Jack looked up and met his gaze, realising that his friend was genuinely upset by what he believed to be his transgression.

"I am sorry. Really." Jack added, wondering what he was supposed to say. Man, he was so crap at this stuff sometimes!

"Okay."

"I just… I knew you'd keep me on the phone for hours asking questions so I…"

"Asked Sam to do it instead?"

"Pleaded with her, more like."

"Gee, thanks."

"Your welcome," Jack said with a small smile and Daniel's nose puckered into his own slight smile and they both laughed.

*
"I get it," Daniel said deciding to move swiftly on from his own hurt feelings, "you didn't want me spoiling your moment with Sam. Quite some moment Jack. You took your time."

"I had to wait until it was right."

"And when you were unpacking boxes in your new house was right?"

"Sounds kind of odd, huh? But, yeah, it seemed right. Don't know why, It just did."

"Sam's really happy."

"I hope so. Me too."

"Are you? I don't know, I sense something amiss."

Jack stared at Daniel silently thinking that the guy could know him too well at times, but sometimes not at all. The moment when he'd walked in to the room, Daniel had got that all-wrong and should have known better, but he knew that Jack's words of happiness hid something. Apparently ignoring Daniel's remark he continued on what might have seemed a totally different subject.

"So, all that stuff at the SGC with duplicate yous must have been pretty strange."

"Ah, now I get it. Martouf," Daniel said and Jack had to admit that his friend was pretty quick on the uptake.

"I heard things…"

"What things?"

"About Sam and Martouf. What else?"

"Been feeling sorry for yourself, Jack?"

"A little."

"Sam's crazy about you."

"But what about him?"

"There was nothing going on with them, Jack, believe me."

"No?"

"No, of course not! Who told you there was?"

"A little bird."

"Little birds ought to mind their own business and not go misreading situations and spreading unsubstantiated gossip. The whole scenario was just a little bit strange Jack. Even stranger than usual, if you get my meaning. There were all the mes, the Sam's, Teal'cs and Mitchells. Then there was Janet, and Martouf. I think we were all a little, um, bamboozled by the experience."

"I'll bet. No other Jack O'Neills, though, huh?"

"I guess you were otherwise occupied in all the other realities too, although I gave up asking."

"And I wasn't with Sam… in those other realities?"

Daniel sensed Jack's apprehension and couldn't quite believe his friend was that foolishly troubled by the appearance of Martouf from another reality. Surely he had to know that Sam truly loved him. Of course she'd been pleased to see Martouf alive and well. After all, she had killed the guy in their reality but, despite Jolinar's memories, they had been friends and nothing more. Daniel knew that there could have been more, but there wasn't. Jack had nothing to worry about on that score. The tenuous nature of his friend's ego came as a surprise.

"Sure you were, Jack. What do you think?"

"Don't really know what to think."

"Yeah well I figure you're thinking way too much and all the wrong things. In Martouf's reality, okay, so they'd lived together for a while, but it never worked out for them. She ended up with you."

"She did?"

"Jack, you're jealous of a man who doesn't exist."

"I know. Dumb, huh?"

"Not really. But you should have more faith in Sam. As I said, she's crazy about you. You should have seen her when she got back to the Mountain after you got engaged. She was excited and happy, more so than normal when she gets back from seeing you."

"She comes back excited and happy?" Jack said with a smile.

"What do you think? I'm betting you have a spring in your step too."

"Yeah, well I… she's…"

"Special?"

"Very special."

"Yes, she is. She thinks you are too. You haven't got a thing to worry about with her. I promise."

"That's good then."

"Way more than good. You're getting married, aren't you?"

"Eventually."

"Taking your time with that too?"

"We haven't decided. I'm still reeling from the shock that she wants to."

"It's such a shock?"

"Yes, no, I don't know… a good shock," Jack grinned. "You want to be my best man, Danny boy?" he added out of the blue, surprising Daniel, who was deeply flattered.

"B-best man? Really? Wow, Jack, I'd be honoured."

"Good, then that's settled." Jack said with a smile as if that closed the subject. He wasn't sure he wanted to continue on that theme because he didn't like talking about his feelings much and knew Daniel could probe way too deeply for his liking. Sam was the one he talked to about his feelings these days, which was a good and positive thing. "So, tell me about Janet?" he asked, determinedly changing the topic.

"Ah!" Daniel exclaimed, looking slightly pained. "It was really good to see her, even though it wasn't our Janet."

"Wish I could have been there for that."

"It was so hard letting her go again, Jack."

"I can imagine that."

"She was different."

"I guess she would be. Her Earth was dying all around her. I doubt that would sit too well with Janet."

"No."

"No."

"God, Jack, I really miss her," Daniel added.

"I know. Me too, buddy."

"I just… seeing her again was so… I'm not sure I can describe it."

"That's okay, you don't have to." Jack smiled thinly. "How did Sam take it?"

"Didn't she say?"

"You know Sam. Sure, we talked about it on the phone but that isn't enough Daniel. Is she okay?"

"I think it spooked us all a little."

"Go figure."

"Yeah. I think Sam's okay, but she was upset. She kept busy, trying to resolve the problem along with the other Sams and then we had a mission so I think she rode through it."

"She would. Hasn't she talked about it?"

"Not really."

"You know, she never even mentioned Martouf when we talked." Jack was surprised by his words because he'd thought he didn't want to talk about that subject anymore. Apparently he was wrong and knew that meant he was more troubled by it than he had wanted to admit.

"She didn't? Oh!" Daniel was beginning to understand why that might bother Jack. "She must have known you would find out he was there so you shouldn't believe she's trying to hide anything."

"I guess. Daniel, it's just… crap!"

"Jack, you're engaged to her. She wants to marry you. Are you so unsure of her? Frankly, I'm a bit surprised about that. You trust her don't you?"

"Of course I do!"

"Well then."

Jack sighed deeply and scrubbed his hands through his hair, clearly filled with uncertainty. Daniel suddenly felt a little helpless and didn't know how to react. Jack often seemed so confident and full of himself that it could be a shock to remember that some of this was a front, a public persona. Underneath he was just like any other human being with all those feelings and insecurities that go with being human.

"Jack, she'll be here later. Maybe you need to talk to her about it."

"I think I'd rather wait to see if she wants to talk to me about it."

"Don't let it fester."

"We'll see."

"Search your heart. You know Sam better. So do I."

"It's not like this is the first engagement she's ever had, is it Daniel?"

"Is that what this is all about? This is about Pete, not Martouf?"

"No, not really."

"Sounds like you have issues, Jack."

"No, not about that. We sorted all of that stuff out a long time ago."

"Could have fooled me. As I said, you know better. You're letting your worst side control your feelings. Use that head of yours Jack. I know you can."

Jack looked up at Daniel sharply, knowing he was right but irked by that fact. He was being irrational, but he couldn't seem to help himself.

"Tell you what, how about we drop this subject and get drunk?" Jack suggested.

"You want to get drunk?" Daniel said, arching his eyebrows.

"Yep! Why not?"

"Okay, we'll get drunk," Daniel said with a smile. If Jack was determined to drink Daniel thought it might be better to join him than not. If Jack wanted to talk more he would and, if he didn't, well, he might as well keep his friend company until Sam arrived. He figured that she'd sort him out in seconds flat. All Jack needed to do was to look into her eyes and he'd see how foolish he was being. Daniel was confident of that.

Thus, the two friends drank, and then they drank some more. Daniel, being the kind of man that he was, took it slowly, while Jack, being the kind of man that he was, knocked them back as if there were no tomorrow.

Instead of getting maudlin drunk, Jack got silly drunk, which was a relief to Daniel, who thought that must be a good sign. Their conversation took an inane turn as they reminisced about old times and old friends. Even when they touched once more on the subject of Janet, they found themselves laughing and joking and seeing the positives rather than the negatives that her loss could have provoked.

By the time Sam got there, a little the worse for wear herself after her night out with Betsy, Daniel was more or less comatose on the couch. Having given her keys to Daniel, she was knocking on the door for a while before Jack managed to get to his feet to answer. When he opened it, somewhat unsteadily, he grinned at her idiotically.

"My, my, my, Colonel Carter, are you drunk?" he said with something akin to a giggle as he let her in. She chuckled and took him into her arms, kissing his neck, and then his face and lips.

"Yes, honey, but not as drunk as you, it seems. You're stinking drunk," she declared laughingly.

"Drunk as a skunk," he admitted. "Great surprise, Dorothy. It's good to see Daniel, but even better to see you."

"I know that feeling, Mr Scarecrow. Are you capable of a kiss?"

"You betchya!"

Their kiss was long and hot and they more or less managed to remain upright for its duration.

"Wow!" he exclaimed, taking her hand and leading her into the living room, "some kiss!"

"You betchya!" she agreed. "God, Jack, I love you so much. You know that?" she declared, taking him into her arms again. Jack pulled back a little, searching her eyes and, while they were slightly glazed over with alcohol, he could see her feelings writ large within those bright blue orbs. Daniel had been right. Any doubts that had remained lurking within Jack promptly dissipated at that moment.

"Yeah, I know that. Of course you do baby. I love you too. We're getting married, aren't we?" he grinned.

"Too right we are! What have you done to poor Daniel?" she asked, spying their mutual friend, who obviously heard his name mentioned as he groaned a little but failed to open his eyes.

"Insisted that he got drunk with me."

"You're a naughty man, Jack O'Neill. A bad influence."

"Don't I know it?" he agreed amiably.

"I think we should sit down, down you?"

"Before we fall down?"

"Absolutely."

They flopped onto the couch, holding each other close, and Jack nuzzled into Sam's neck.

"Love you, Colonel," he mumbled thinking it couldn't hurt to reiterate those feelings.

"Love you too General, sir," she muttered back at him.

"How's beautiful Betsy?"

"Great."

"Catching up on gossip?"

"She so wanted to see the ring and talk about you."

"Lil' old me? I wish I'd been a fly on the wall for that conversation," he said rolling his eyes dramatically. "I guess it was all talk about wedding plans and the like, huh?"

"We might have vaguely touched on that subject," Sam said, grinning madly.

"I guess I'll be lucky to get any say in those plans."

"I might let you think you've got a say."

"Women!"

"What would you do without us?"

"I can think of one or two things I can do with you," he said with a slight laugh and then kissed her.

"Mmmm… nice. Um, Jack, I so need to talk to you, about Janet, about Martouf, about me – lots of mes actually."

"You do?"

"Not sure now's a good time, though."

"Tomorrow do?"

"Sure."

"Martouf?" he queried.

"That was all pretty strange, you know?"

"I bet. It was pretty strange to read about it without actually having to live it. Lots of Sams. Mind blowing!" Sam laughed in response and kissed the top of his head tenderly.

"Lots of Sams. Lots and lots."

"Multiple Carters. Real scary."

"Damned nerve!" she said slapping him good-humouredly. "It was… an interesting experience, you might say. All those different versions of me, similar in so many ways, but not the same."

"Mmmm… thought provoking… but, C-C-C-Carter, isn't mine the best?" he teased, winking.

"The best Carter?"

"Sure, the best Carter, Colonel, science geek, Sammie baby, woman - the bestest, best."

"I'd like to think she's the best," she grinned, giving him an affectionate squeeze.

"No doubt about it."

"Lots of Jack and Sams too, out there somewhere. It seems that all those Carters must have ended up with you. Lucky them!"

"Yeah, lucky." Jack joked self deprecatingly, "All of them?"

"Most of them as far as I could tell. Proves this is the right thing, doesn't it?"

"You needed proof?"

"No. I'm just sayin'," she replied, smiling wistfully.

"Just sayin'? That's allowed," he said, lifting his head to meet her eyes. "You can say anything you like, Dorothy. Have I ever told you that you're beautiful?"

"Yes, often."

"Good. Glad to hear that. Remind me to tell you that very, very often."

"Don't think I need to."

"Have I told you I love you recently?"

"A couple of times already tonight."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Oh. Well, it's always worth repeating."

"Yes, it is." Sam was highly amused by Jack's intoxicated manner. "You can tell me that as often as you like too."

"Good. I'll do that then."

"Right."

"How was old Marty?"

"It was good to see him again. Weird but wonderful."

"Wonderful?"

"I was always very fond of Martouf, you know that."

"Only too well."

"You're jealous?"

"Only a little."

"A little is too much. No need to be jealous in any way whatsoever. I never truly knew how I felt about him, Jack, but I do know how I feel about you."

"Yeah, I know you do. Me too."

"That's alright then."

"Yeahsureyabetchya!" he exclaimed with a smile.

Drunk and semi-conscious as Daniel was, these words exchanged between his two friends permeated his consciousness and he moaned softly and smiled to himself. Everything was going to be all right. More than all right. Everything was going to be just great. And he was going to be best man at his best friend's wedding. Didn't that beat all? Then, shortly after those thoughts flittered through his mind, Daniel Jackson fell into a state of contented oblivion.

"Sam, you know we were saying it was time Daniel got himself laid?" Jack said.

"Mmmm…"

"Well, I think I found just the right woman."

With those words, Jack cuddled up even closer to his fiancée and made mental plans for Doctor Daniel Jackson and Ms Francine Butler, a huge grin on his face.