samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: Special thanks to Kel, Beth, Alli, and the rest of the SJChatroom crew who contributed and served as beta readers.

Here's hoping the short bit of history I created for Hammond is good enough for fan fic.

And, you may want to go back and read "Outside Looking In" to refresh your memories. If you can't find it, e-mail me **privately** and I will make sure it becomes available. =)


I sit here, looking at Jacob Carter, watching as his daughter falls deeper for her commanding officer. Then he looks to me, and I can't even look him in the eye. I look down at the menu instead.

I saw this coming the moment the colonel sat in his chair, glacing up at Carter for the first time. There was a gleam in his eye when he explained his affection for women and distaste for scientists that even I couldn't miss from the head of the conference table. Major Feretti started the betting pool that day. Not much gets past him, and that sparkle cranked rumor mills and filled pockets.

For a week before Mrs. O'Neill's death, I walked into rooms and conversations stopped; whispers echoed around me. When I saw Dr. Jackson and Dr. Fraiser, hunkered down over a table, speaking in hushed tones, I knew something was up. Periodically, they glanced about to be sure they weren't overheard. A base commander, however, can't do his job without knowing the hearts and minds of the personnel under his command. It wasn't long before I found that things between Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill had... changed... somewhat. I didn't dare speculate how.

Another base commander probably would have pulled them aside at that point, investigated the rumors and allegations; God knows there were plenty of them. I had only circumstantial evidence and no proof that neither Colonel O'Neill, nor Major Carter, had committed acts "detrimental to good order and discipline." I chose, instead, to trust the colonel and the major to keep their relationship honest and above board.

I grimace. At least Jacob *likes* Jack.

My own wife had not been well-liked by my mother. From the moment I brought her home, Mom threatened to disinherit me. "She's just after a free ride," Mother insisted. I felt it better not to remind her that we Hammonds weren't exactly the Rockerfellers.

For weeks, I tormented myself, from the time I woke up, to the time I slept; it seemed neither my head nor my heart could gain any ground. I continued to attend my classes during the day and work as a stock boy in the evenings. One night, as I began stocking a shelf of canned green beans with canned corn, I stopped. It was time to make a decision. Until my head and my heart were satisfied -- until I was *whole* again -- I would never be satisfied. As Mom had continually threatened, I was disinherited. I took my degree, entered active duty, and never looked back.

Glancing up over my menu, I study the profile of Jack O'Neill as he pretends not to look at Major Carter. I am constantly reminded of myself as I serve with this man. I could never question his commitment to his military service, his love and honor for this country; despite his smart-ass comments, I know Jack enjoys his work. Nor would I ever call into question his professional detachment: If anyone can separate family and job, it's Jack O'Neill. Hell, had it not been for his mother's funeral recently, I never would have known he had a family outside of his ex-wife. The man is an expert at hiding emotions behind a sarcastic facade.

Across the room, the live band begins to tune up. O'Neill offers Carter his hand and they rise together. When the first strains of a ballad float over the crowded room, I see her slip comfortably into his arms. They maintain a "safe" distance, but their body language gives them away. Quickly, I glance down at my menu. Jack deserves a little happiness, doesn't he? And who am I to condemn or condone when I don't have a lick of evidence?

As they awkwardly glide across the hardwood dance floor, I can only intently study the difference between a NY strip and a rib eye... and accept my role as an accomplice.

*********

END