samandjack.net

Story Notes: One Little Kiss -


~Jack~

"I'm going with you," Sam told me, determination shining in her blue eyes as I revealed my plans to go to Corran to find the general.

"No way, Major," I replied, deliberately using her rank in what was likely a futile tactic to try and dissuade her.

Sam shook her head. "I’m not letting you go without me, Jack." She spoke quietly but firmly. So much for pulling rank on her.

"Look," I began, trying to reason with her. "This search and rescue op is probably going to be a one-way ticket to a court martial. That's if I get back. It might be a one-way ticket, period. You're too important for the SGC to lose. You're needed here." For my own sake, I ignored how important she was to me.

That was a fact Sam wasn't forgetting and I felt my resolve to keep her on Earth crumbling when she said, "I can't lose you again. When it happened before, when you were trapped on Edora for those three months, I went crazy. I didn't know if you were alive or dead, I didn't know if I could get you back, I just didn't know. I won't go through that again."

"Sam, I don't want you to ruin your career. Not because of me."

She smiled. "I don't particularly want to ruin my career either, but I also want to find General Hammond. So let's go find him and hopefully he'll be thankful enough to get any charges against us dropped."

I sighed. "Would it make any bit of difference if I *ordered* you to stay behind?"

"No. Not in this case. I guess this is one of the reasons why they have those fraternization regs." Sam offered a wry grin. Then she reached out and grabbed my hand.

"Jack," she continued, looking down at our entwined fingers. "When you were lost on Edora I cared about you, but I wasn't in love with you yet." She raised her eyes to meet mine. "If I went crazy then, can you imagine how I'd feel now?"

I could, because I'd feel the same way. Sometimes I really couldn't believe that Sam loved an old, scarred guy like me the way that I loved her, but it was all there in her eyes as she looked at me.

"As soon as we arrive on P5N 246 we'll immediately 'gate out again to Corran." Gently, I squeezed her hand. "Make sure you pack extra rations."

******

"We're going with you."

"Oh, for crying out loud!" I exclaimed to Daniel. "Can't a guy go defying orders on his own anymore?"

"We want to find General Hammond, too," Daniel reasoned. "You shouldn't go alone."

"I won't be going alone. Sam's coming with me." She hovered by the DHD and I nodded at her to dial up Corran.

"How come Sam gets to go?" asked Daniel.

"Because she... Because... Oh, never mind why! Because she's going, that's why!" I glanced quickly over to Sam who seemed to be trying to hide a smile. She'd input the last symbol on the DHD and the Stargate whooshed open.

"Look, Danny," I said. He stood with his arms crossed and his posture radiated stubbornness. "We're not due back on Earth for 48 hours. Hopefully, Carter and I can go to Corran, find Hammond and get back here before then. In the meantime, there's a whole lot of ruins on this planet for you to explore."

Sam had come to stand beside us and Teal'c had stood silently there during our whole exchange.

"Be careful," Daniel said grudgingly, clearly still unhappy at being left behind. I understood how he felt. But while I hoped my suspicions about Hammond were right, there was still a very good possibility I was going on a fool's errand. I wasn't willing to drag yet another member of my team down with me.

"Hopefully we'll be back soon," Sam said, offering Daniel and Teal'c an encouraging smile. I noticed it didn't reach her eyes. We started toward the 'gate.

"If we're not back in 48 hours I expect you to return to Earth without us," I said firmly. "Teal'c you make sure Daniel goes back."

"I will do so, O'Neill. Safe journey."

Turning back toward them I waved. "Leave a light on for us. Keep the coffee hot. See ya soon." Sam and I stepped through the Stargate and our team members and P5N 246 disappeared.

******

~ Sam~

Jack threw another piece of wood on the fire and then came to sit beside me where I leaned against the rock face wall. I inched closer to him until our bodies were touching and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. We were camped out in a very well hidden canyon after an exhaustive day of hiking and searching. We had abandoned our scheduled mission to conduct an unauthorized one of our own in clear contradiction of orders. Messing with the fraternization regs by sitting close together seemed the least of our worries.

"We got nowhere today," I said with disappointment. I hadn't thought we'd find the general immediately, but I'd hoped we might have sniffed out a trail. We'd come up with nothing.

"Hey, it wasn't that bad," Jack countered. "We got here. We ruled out a lot of ground."

"I suppose. It would have been nice to have a lead to follow by now though."

"We'll find something. It just might take a while longer." He gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Which means we won't be going home via P5N 246." That, of course, had been the best case scenario.

"No. But we'll get home. We might just have to find someone to open the door for us."

"Do you think General Ludley will really have our iris codes locked out?" I asked.

"I would," Jack replied. "Our codes could be compromised. General Hammond would do the same."

I nodded and we slipped into silence for a moment. Finding General Hammond would solve a lot of our problems. I was determined we would find him. That's what we were there to do.

"Just in case," Jack began, breaking the silence, "do you know the 'gate addresses for some friendlies? Someone who can get the iris opened to get us home?"

"Yes, I know a few." Not having made contact with any authorities on Corran, we didn't know what the current political situation was there. The Corrans might not have been our allies anymore so we couldn't depend on being able to get back to Earth from here.

"Or we could always just run away together." Jack turned his head and leaned closer to whisper in my ear. "Find a nice little planet and settle down."

His breath on my skin made me shiver as I grinned at his words. I knew neither of us would consider running away or turning our backs on our responsibilities. We would go home to face the consequences of our actions. Still, the idea of running away together made for an interesting, if implausible idea.

"Where would you like to go?" I asked teasingly.

"Anywhere you are Sam, would be home to me."

Jack's voice had lost its kidding tone. I glanced up at him to see the seriousness in his expression. The intensity of his look made my heart beat quicker.

My lips parted to whisper his name, but before I could he took the movement as an invitation to cover my mouth with his own. I had no wish to correct his mistake.

He kissed me softly, almost hesitantly, as if asking for permission. Technically we were still on duty, only we were supposed to be doing our duty on a different planet. But with our futures so up in the air I felt it we owed it to ourselves to grab what little time we could for us.

I wound my arms around Jack's neck and kissed him back, letting go of the restraint I'd kept in place when we'd kissed on New Year's Eve. He matched my tempo, holding me with one arm still around my shoulders and the other going to cradle the back of my head.

His tongue moved past my lips, finding, seeking and engaging my own. I felt my breathing become shallow as my ardor flared and I tried to press myself closer to Jack. The awkwardness of our seated positions hampered my efforts so I leaned back, pulling Jack down to the ground with me.

He lay half on top of me, with our legs interwoven. I thrilled at the feeling of his body nestled and entwined so closely with my own. His mouth danced quickly and demandingly over mine and I partnered him with my own expression of need.

Jack's fingers were seeking entry under the waistband of my jacket even as my own hands began a frenzied roaming from his shoulders to his backside. I wanted to touch his bare, heated skin but I was too impatient to try and slip my hand past the elasticized gathering holding his jacket so close to him. Instead, I squeezed my hands in between our bodies and sought out the garment's fastener. Jack assisted by raising his chest slightly. His jacket fell open and I moved my hand to yank his t-shirt from where it tucked into his trousers. He'd just found access to my bare skin and I felt his fingers slide over my stomach then up, up...

Suddenly Jack's hand pulled back. His mouth tore away from mine and he raised himself off of my body to sit back on his heels. Dazed, my breaths coming in laboured rushes, I could only lie still and stare up at him.

His own breathing was heavy and he raked a hand that looked suspiciously like it was shaking through his hair. "This isn't how I imagined this. Not outside, lying in the dirt."

"Then let's go in the tent," I offered in all earnestness.

Jack laughed, his eyes alighting with happiness and also with a discernible desire. He moved back toward me, reclining beside me and supporting himself on one arm. His other hand came to rest on my hip.

"I didn't necessarily think we'd be in a bed," he admitted. He leaned in to begin planting soft kisses along my neck. I tilted my head back to allow him better access and closed my eyes as a new heat rushed over me. In between the kisses Jack whispered, "I thought maybe a sofa, a carpeted floor, at least inside a building."

"I don't need any of that," I told him, not at all surprised that my voice sounded shaky. "I just need you."

With that his lips left my neck to once again slide over my mouth in a tender, tantalizing kiss. Then he slowly pulled away, sat back and drew me with him until we were on our feet. He turned me toward the tent. "Ladies first."

I crawled inside the door and then turned around and moved backwards onto the bedroll to begin taking off my boots. Jack entered and did the same, staying closer to the door. Once I'd removed my boots I sat quietly watching Jack, his profile outlined in silhouette from the dim glow of the fire and Corran's double moons.

This was the moment I'd yearned for, dreamed about, even wrought daydream fantasies over a long, long time before Jack and I declared our feelings for each other. The time was right at last and yet as I watched Jack close the tent flap and turn toward me I felt suddenly, inexplicably shy.

That feeling lasted for about a second longer when Jack wrapped me in his arms. We fell back onto the bedroll together and our lips connected again.

Neither of us was hesitant in quickly divesting the other of clothing, now that our passion could finally be unrestrained. Once we were bared to each other in every conceivable way, Jack ran a hand slowly and reverently down the length of my naked body. He was so near that when he spoke in a whisper I felt his lips move against my cheek. "I love you, Sam," he told me.

Then he showed me, without words.

******

I woke up tired and sore. That and I also suffered the regular aches and stiffness from sleeping on the ground.

I felt great.

It wasn't the first time I'd awoken, but it was the first time in daylight and without Jack's body wrapped up with mine.

Pleasant memories of the preceding night rushed over me. I knew we needed to break camp and get on with our search, but I was debating whether or not I could steal just a few minutes to snuggle under my blanket and replay some fond recollections in my mind. That's when I heard the voices. One was Jack's. The other was all too familiar.

Scrambling around in the tent I found my clothes and quickly got dressed. Fortunately we'd brought our packs into the tent the night before so I was able to brush my hair and look halfway presentable, and perhaps not obviously like I'd been well loved throughout the night.

Finally, figuring I'd done all I could about my appearance I pushed aside the tent flap and crawled outside. I paused when my eyes verified the voice I'd heard was indeed that of the person sitting in front of a small fire with Jack.

My face broke into a beaming smile. "General Hammond, sir. Good morning!"

******

~Jack~

I found him.

Or, more accurately, he found me.

When I rose it was late enough for the tent to be well lit. Sam still slumbered peacefully and I lay still for a moment, just watching her, savouring the image of her lying so relaxed and unrestrained beside me.

Sleeping in so long off-world was unusual for both of us, but then rest hadn't exactly been our top priority during the night. Thinking on how we'd spent the night, combined with the feeling of Sam's soft, naked body still pressed against mine was stirring my need for her once again. Some stupid part of me decided I had to be responsible and get up so we could get on with our day. I slowly eased myself away from Sam. I figured I'd leave her sleeping for a few minutes more while I went and cleaned up and got some coffee on.

After throwing on some clothes I slipped out of the tent and left our hidden canyon to visit a stream that flowed down the rocks nearby.

I'd just bent down and splashed some water on my face when I heard the sound of someone walking up behind me. The footfalls were too heavy to be Sam's. Making like I was wiping my hands on my trousers I grabbed my sidearm from where it was sheathed against my leg. I whipped around, the weapon leveled at the approaching intruder.

"Stand down, Colonel!" he commanded, and being used to obeying orders from this man, I did.

"George!" I exclaimed. "General! Hammond, sir."

"It's good to see you too, son," he acknowledged, looking weary and definitely the worse for wear.

"Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you," I told him, my face sliding into a grin.

"Are you the search and rescue team?" the general asked.

"Technically, yes, officially, no."

Hammond was still wearing his dress uniform, which was covered in dust and dirt and torn in a few places. But despite his disheveled appearance, he was still every inch the general. He held my gaze firmly for a moment, ascertaining the truth behind my words. Then he said, "It sounds like you have a bit of a story to tell me."

"Yes sir," I replied. "But I'd sort of like to hear yours first, if I could."

He nodded. "That's fine. But before that I'd really like to just sit down and rest and have something to eat and drink."

"That's no problem," I told him. He really did look exhausted. "Come with me, sir, and I'll whip you up some ration pack a la O'Neill for breakfast." I began leading him toward the canyon.

"Maybe I'll just start with some water," I heard him murmur behind me.

We slipped through the crevice and were almost into the hidden area where Sam and I had sheltered for the night. "Is the rest of SG-1 with you?" Hammond asked.

"Just Carter," I replied as we entered our camp.

Hammond gazed at the lone tent and then over to me with an appraising look. "I see."

He did. Not much got by the general. But he didn't say more on the subject and I figured he was going to let it pass, for now. We had more pressing items on the agenda.

Of course I knew it wouldn't be a matter that would be dropped entirely, especially when Sam poked her head out of the tent a few moments later, radiating the glow of a woman well sated. Okay, maybe I was the only one who saw that, considering my closeness to the subject, and I couldn't help but offer Sam a warm, affectionate smile when she looked my way. She warmed my heart; I didn't care if Hammond saw it.

"Good morning to you, Major." Hammond returned Sam's greeting with fondness in his tone.

Sam scooted the rest of the way out of the tent and stood up. "How did you find him?" she asked me.

"You know how it is in these remote mountain parts. I bumped into him by the stream and invited him back for coffee. Want some?" I held up a steaming cup for her.

"In a minute. I have to go freshen up first. Sir, it's so good to see you!" she told Hammond before she headed off for the stream. The general gamely tucked into a ration pack while Sam was gone.

When she returned, she settled down beside us with a cup of coffee in hand. "So, sir," she began, "what happened? All we know is that you stepped through the 'gate and...disappeared."

"That, Major, is precisely what did happen. Or I'm assuming that's how it looked." Hammond washed the last of his breakfast down with a drink of coffee and then set his cup down beside him to continue his tale.

"As soon as I came through the 'gate here on Corran I was knocked to the ground. I didn't see anyone coming at me and I couldn't have, because my assailants had been rendered invisible by the Corrans' cloaking shield. An explosion went off right where I had been standing a moment after they'd knocked me out of the way. What surprised me was that none of my guard noticed that I had been attacked. I found out later that was because a cloaking screen had been projected over me, and only me, as soon as I stepped through the Stargate."

"A clocking screen?" Sam repeated. She shook her head and her eyes widened in surprise. "But how? The Corrans don't yet know how to generate a cloak, particularly on so precise a target."

"They do now," Hammond replied. "It seems a certain friend of ours has advanced her research a bit farther than she's been willing to share."

"No," Sam said, her face falling. "Not Karaya."

Hammond nodded. "I'm afraid so."

"No way," I interjected, knowing what the general said had to be true but still wanting to disbelieve that Karri would betray us like that. Especially when it involved endangering General Hammond. "Karri wasn't part of the isolationist movement. She was happy to work with us, to get to know us."

"I believe she was, until your mutual friend Derwan bent her ear with his ideals."

"Karaya did seem a bit withdrawn the last week or so," Sam commented.

"So what were they planning on doing with you?" I asked Hammond. "It's not like they sent a ransom note or anything."

"They weren't sure what to do with me. I think their original plan had been to hold me at their camp for a few days and then send me back through the Stargate. But a more radical faction of the group began to think they had to do more. They thought letting me go wasn't taking a hard enough stance and that they should make a point that off-worlders weren't welcome on Corran by sending my *body* back through the Stargate."

"Well, they kinda did make that point," I acknowledged.

Hammond frowned, but instead of asking what I meant he continued on with his tale. "Talk of murdering me got Karaya spooked, as that wasn't what she had signed on for. I have to credit her for my escape, as she helped me get out of the camp. Once I was free I started walking in the direction of the Stargate and this is the first I've stopped."

"Wow," Sam remarked. "We're doubly glad to have found you, sir."

"I'll be doubly glad to just get back home," Hammond said, nevertheless offering Sam a smile as he did. "What's my status back there, anyway?"

"Hate to be the one to tell you this, sir, but you're dead," I informed him.

The general's brows shot upward. "The funny thing about that, Colonel, is that I don't feel dead."

"You know, you don't really look it either," I quipped.

"I'd certainly like to hear your side of the story now," Hammond requested.

"I'm eager to tell it," I replied, "but do you think you're up to doing some walking while I talk? If we break camp now I think we'll have just enough time to save Daniel from having a really futile argument with Teal'c about not going home."

******

SG-1, with one General Hammond in our midst, stepped through the 'gate and shocked those in the embarkation and control rooms into silence for a moment. Then jubilation erupted and spread quickly throughout the SGC.

Ludley came down from his office, his expression one of stunned surprise. Before Ludley could make any comments about how SG-1 operated in contravention of orders, General Hammond whisked his counterpart away, promising to explain to Ludley how *he* had found *us*. That told me Hammond was going to smooth over Carter's and my actions in travelling to Corran to find him.

So two days later when I was summoned to what was again Hammond's office - Ludley having been shipped back out to another posting - I knew it was not our role in his return of which he wished to speak.

******

"Have a seat, Colonel," Hammond offered after I was ushered into his office. Part of me wanted to remain standing, remain mobile, remain on my toes. But I lowered myself into the chair.

Hammond tapped a pen against a file on his desk, watching the action intently as he did so. I watched him. He abruptly ceased his pen tapping, which was a good thing because it was beginning to drive me flipping crazy and I was ready to tear the pen out of his hand. He looked up at me to meet my gaze.

"Jack, I wish we didn't have to be having this conversation, but as your commanding officer, it's my duty to do so."

I gave a sharp nod of agreement, even though he hadn't yet made clear what our conversation was to be about. Ah hell, who am I kidding? I knew exactly what it was going to be about.

"It's about your relationship with Major Carter."

See? Told ya.

"Yes sir," I replied.

"It's become evident to me that your relationship goes beyond what the United States Air Force deems proper for two officers in the same chain of command. Am I correct in that assertion?" Hammond asked.

"Yes sir, you are. But for Carter's sake I'd like to advise that until two days ago we had never acted on our feelings in a way that would compromise our positions as Air Force officers. Furthermore, as the senior and commanding officer I would like to assume full responsibility for what-"

I was speaking fast; the words were tumbling hastily out of my mouth. Hammond held up his hand to interrupt me.

"Son, hold up there. Let me speak my piece."

My mouth snapped closed. There was a time for rambling on, and there was a time to shut the hell up.

Hammond tapped the pen again. But before the grimace I could feel forming on my lips began to spread across my face he suddenly stopped and looked up at me again.

"I had many wonderful years with my wife," he mused softly. "I wouldn't trade those years for anything. And I sure as hell would hate to have to stop anyone else from experiencing that type of companionship."

I sat up straighter. Hammond was all but saying he knew how we felt.

"I'm sure these feelings you and Major Carter share are nothing new."

"They've been around for quite a while, sir," I confessed.

Hammond nodded. "I think you've both proven time and again that you wouldn't let any personal feelings interfere with doing your jobs. No matter what or *who* was at stake."

"No sir." I pursed my lips as his words forced me to remember having to shoot Carter when she was possessed by that entity. That was once experience I hated having to recall.

"If it were up to me I'd be the first one to wish you both well. But I don't run the Air Force, and it's not up to me."

My shoulders slumped but my eyes continued to hold Hammond's gaze.

"Colonel, as you know, the Stargate program is so heavily classified that most of the United States military doesn't know it exists. It could almost be said that in the eyes of the Air Force it doesn't exist."

"Right..." I agreed, not really having a clue where he was going with this.

"If the SGC doesn't really exist, then the chain of command in which you and Major Carter find yourselves can't really exist, can it?"

"Uh, no?"

"So if you and Major Carter *were* to have a relationship, but no one knew that such a relationship existed, it would be rather difficult for me to report any breach of regulations, would it not? I mean, it would be a relationship discovered in a chain of command that didn't really exist, in a military program that didn't exist. That's not really a can of worms I need to be opening right now. Am I being clear, Colonel?"

"Yes sir!" I said, and suddenly what he was saying was perfectly clear. Of course he could, and *would* report Carter's and my infraction if he wanted to. He was making it clear he didn't want to, and wasn't going to, unless the relationship became obvious. But he hadn't ordered us to cease and desist. Once again, I didn't want to be sitting in the chair. I wanted to be on my feet, moving, this time jumping for joy or doing something equally silly like that. Instead I stayed put and settled for what I knew was the biggest, brightest grin imaginable crossing my face.

Hammond smiled back at me. "I trust you'll advise Major Carter of our discussion?"

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir."

"Fine." The general nodded. "In that case, you're dismissed. I'll see you at 0800 tomorrow for your pre-mission briefing."

"Yes sir," I said once more, springing to my feet. I turned around and quite literally bounded out of Hammond's office.

Yeah, I know. Bounding, it's pretty silly. But I was so damned happy I just couldn't help myself.

******

~Sam~

Jack was in high spirits at our pre-mission briefing. He had an ear-to-ear grin that he continuously offered up to anyone who glanced in his direction. I hadn't been on base the night before, and we hadn't really had a chance to talk much since our return from Corran, so I had no idea what the reason was for his jubilation. But his good mood sure was infectious. I found myself smiling back at him whenever he looked my way. As he led the briefing, Daniel kept giving him bemused glances. Even General Hammond seemed to be holding back an indulgent smile.

Our mission that day was low risk. We were returning to P7X 606, or Ke'le'don, so that Daniel could observe the inhabitants' celebration of Beltane, the ancient festival marking the beginning of summer. Jack, Teal'c and I were just going along for support in case there was any trouble on the planet, but really the chances of that were very remote. In a way it was almost like a two-day holiday for us. Maybe that's why Jack was so happy. I hadn't noticed the last time we were there if Ke'le'don had any good fishing holes.

I did have very distinct and fond memories of the last time we were on the planet. That's where I first kissed Jack, the night he was sloshed on the native beverage. I felt a grin of my own tug at my face at the memory, as I stood at the base of the ramp waiting with the team for the Stargate to engage.

When we arrived on Ke'le'don and had made our way to the village we were greeted enthusiastically by the inhabitants. Mhari, the woman who had served as our liaison during our last visit welcomed us back as though we'd only been gone a few weeks. In actuality, it had been six Ke'le'don months. The Ke'le'don year was considerably shorter than an Earth year so it had been a few months less from our perspective.

Mhari bustled us off to her small cottage where she offered us refreshments in the form of a drink that smelled and tasted like a spiced tea. She assured us that it had no intoxicating properties.

"Although you're welcome to partake of some of the fruit juice if ye prefer," she told us, the merriment in her eyes evidencing her humour over Jack's and Daniel's past experiences.

"No thanks," Jack replied. "This time I'm going to remember *everything* that happens while we're on your planet." He shot me a look that seemed a bit more heated than the lightheartedness of the situation warranted. It made me wonder exactly what he thought was going to happen during our visit there.

"You've picked a good time to return," Mhari said. "Tonight we not only celebrate Beltane but also the marriage of my daughter Glynis."

That surprised me. "I thought Glynis was already married," I commented. Last time we'd been on Ke'le'don I'd been offered the hospitality of Glynis's home and she'd definitely referred to the man living there with her as her husband.

"She has been fastwed," Mhari clarified. "Tonight we celebrate their official marriage."

"Fastwed?" Jack asked. "Like at a Vegas wedding chapel?"

Mhari looked understandably perplexed by Jack's Vegas comment, but before she could say anything Daniel spoke up.

"I think Mhari is referring to handfasting. It was a custom in which a couple could declare themselves wed and promised to remain together for a year and a day. During that time they lived together as married but could decide to part ways without any difficulties, as long as the union did not produce a child. If they wished to remain together after a year and a day then the marriage was officially celebrated."

Jack nodded in understanding. "Cool."

We finished our tea and then got swept up in helping with the preparations for the evening's festivities. The day went by quickly and soon it was time to gather in the wooded area just outside the village for the celebrations.

During the day Jack had been befriended by a group of children and he ended up sitting at what was obviously the kiddie table for the evening meal. I missed his company but seeing him laughing and teasing the kids was very endearing. A secret part of me wondered what it would be like to have a child with Jack, and a greater part of me wanted to find out. The thought, and yearning, was fleeting, however. I had to repress that kind of thinking. I didn't even know if one or both of us was due for a court martial soon! I hadn't heard anything from General Hammond, and Jack hadn't mentioned he had either, but I knew the general wouldn't let the matter drop. It had been obvious that morning on Corran that Jack and I were together. Just what was it about that planet that resulted in everyone and a general seeing me crawl out of Jack's tent in the mornings?

Dinner was finished and the bonfires, music and dancing had started up. Jack seemed to have been spirited away to goodness knows where by the kids, and Daniel had gone in search of one of the older Ke'le'donians to discuss the rituals of the celebration. I was just about to go look for Mhari or someone else to talk to when a youngster I recognized as one of Jack's new little friends came racing up to me.

"Major Carter!" the boy said, gasping for air from his run. "Jack says you have to come right away! To Mhari's cottage."

I immediately jumped to my feet, wondering what was wrong. The boy had obviously come in a hurry to find me. What had happened? I scanned the crowd looking for Daniel or Teal'c, thinking their assistance might be required, but neither of them could be found. Jack had said to come right way. I didn't want to delay by searching for our other team members.

"Thank you!" I called to the boy as I set off for the cottage at a jog. Once I'd broken free from the clearing in which the party was being held I flattened my pace to an all out run. My heart was hammering not only from exertion but also from fear that something terrible had happened.

I burst through the door into Mhari's cottage to see Jack sitting relaxed at the table, his feet propped up on an extra chair. He rose as he took in my winded state.

"Sam, what's wrong?"

"I don't know," I said, trying to get my breathing under control. "You tell me."

"Nothing's wrong," he replied. "I just wanted to talk to you in private."

"Oh." I felt slightly sheepish at my reaction to his summons.

"Why don't you have a seat," he offered and I plunked myself gratefully down into a chair. "You okay?" he asked, taking a seat beside me. I nodded. "It's always nice to work off a big meal with a little run." Jack grinned.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I almost added a 'sir' to then end of the question but then I figured he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of so much privacy had it been a matter between CO and 2IC.

His expression sobered. "Hammond and I had a talk." Again I nodded at him, but this time with apprehension rising in my chest. "He's not prepared to bend the regs for us."

"I see," I managed to squeak out before I felt an unwelcome tightening in my throat. I cast my head down and traced a scratch on the scarred table at which we sat.

A warm hand covered mine. "But," Jack continued and I looked back up at him. "Hammond did basically say that he'd turn a blind eye as long as we're extremely discreet."

Jack smiled and I felt the knot of dread in my stomach unfurl. Funnily enough, the tightening of my throat persisted and my eyes were beginning to feel suspiciously wet. "Come here," Jack said and he stood up, pulling me with him. He gathered me into his arms and we held onto each other without speaking. It felt so good to be in his embrace. It had only been a matter of days since I'd lain in his arms, but somehow it felt like it had been months.

My arms tightened around him. "Thank God. Thank you, General Hammond." I spoke softly with my head resting against his chest. "I love you, Jack. I couldn't stand being separated, or losing you."

"Sam," Jack said as a sigh, his hands trailing gently up and down my back. "We're not going to be separated. I wouldn't let it happen. If circumstances were different right now I'd be asking you to marry me."

I raised my head to look at him and saw the sincerity in his eyes and his love reflected back to me. "I'd be saying yes," I whispered.

He smiled, and his eyes danced. "There's always that wedfast thing."

"Handfasting," I corrected. "Where we declare ourselves married. But what happens after the year and a day is up?"

"Well," Jack replied. "Depending on what's going on in the world, either we celebrate the marriage, or we ask for a renewal of vows. Is that allowed?"

I smiled. "It must be."

"So how's this thing work?" he asked.

"I think I just say, I take you as my husband," I declared, looking into his eyes, meaning it.

"I take you as my wife," he responded solemnly, his voice sounding oddly choked.

"That's it," I said.

"That's it? Isn't there something else we should be doing?"

"Well," I mused, moving my hand to run it along his jaw line then thread my fingers into his hair, "I suppose we could seal it with a kiss."

"Sounds good to me," Jack agreed and obliged by lowering his mouth to mine.

It was fitting that we should declare ourselves to each other there in Mhari's cottage, where the darkness was broken by a single candle and the moonlight. After all, that's the place where it had all started.

With one little kiss.

******

END



End Notes: Author's note: Hey, I wrote a series all by myself! Cross another thing off the life's to-do list. A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to send notes of feedback on the stories in the One Little Kiss series. All of your comments were very much appreciated. Of course, more feedback is *always* welcome!

Thanks to Kath for editing, brainstorming and the usual assistance. :)