samandjack.net

Story Notes: Notes: I am dedicating this Story to my Niece who was born 11-19-2000. I got the idea waiting for her arrival in the hospital.


"Sam, What do you think you are doing?" Jack said as he walked into the lab and over to Sam. She was standing on a chair, stretching for a book that was on top of a box, which consequently was on top of the tall cabinets.

"I need a book. I need that book." Sam said as she struggled once again.

"Sam, get down. I will get the book." Jack grunted and lifted her down.

"Jack…"

"I swear, Sam, since you became pregnant, you have lost your rational thinking." Jack put in his two cents when he handed her the book.

"Well, lets face it. Since you got me pregnant, you have been noting but a stick in the mud." Sam smiled.

Jack responded by kissing Sam, "You know my beautiful wife, I would not have it any other way."

"Neither would I." Sam said as she kissed him again.

"Oh, you two get a room!" Daniel said as he entered the lab.

"Jeez, Space Monkey, we are married and pregnant. We do not need a room." Sam retorted.

"Jack, you just had to corrupt Sam. You turned her to the 'Jack' side." Daniel teased.

"I have news for you Daniel, I have always been like this. I just used the other Persona to trap you all you guys into doing my bidding." Jack glared at Sam then Over to Daniel. He had a look that was a mixture of pride and amusement in Sam's comment.

"Oh Sam, speaking of doing your bidding, here is that mac and cheese you were craving." Sam pulled out a fork and began eating.

"Thanks Daniel." Sam said. She got in two bites before General Hammond called them to the briefing room.

On the way to the briefing room the conversation acted as if it never ended. "You know Sam, I love Mac and cheese as much as the other guy, but did it really have to be from the field rations?" Daniel asked.

"Uh Danny, Don't go there. Sam and I had that discussion last night." Jack replied. Sam just smiled.

They took a few minutes to get up the stairs. Sam was taking it slower and slower each time. She really did not need to be there, but since she was still a member of SG1, just on light duty, she continued would all of her duties except the fieldwork.

While up at the top, they all met up with Teal'c. Now the team was complete. Everyone sat down but Sam and Jack. Sam found it easier just to remain standing while waiting for the General to come. "Anyone have any ideas what the General wants?"

All seemed as baffled as Jack did. They did not have to wait long. The general soon made his entrance soon put an end to the questions.

"SG1 have a seat. Now as you are aware, SG17 went on a standard reckon mission to P4X7976. They were due back 12 hours ago. There has been not radio contact. Even when we sent the MALP through, there was nothing. Right now you are the only team on base that can go for a search and rescue." General Hammond said.

"What do we know?" Jack asked.

"SG17 is Colonel Timms team. Consisted of his 2IC of Major Lewis, a geologist Lt. Awkins and Dr. Fraiser." Sam seems calm talking about it, but deep down she was petrified, Janet was supposed to deliver the baby. What was she going to do if Janet was not here? "The planet's gate opens into a dense rain forest. They were there researching Medical plants. If I remember correctly when we sent there original MALP through, there were many plants that we cannot even imagine that exists."

"Alright, SG1 you are to suit up, you ship out in 10 minutes." They stood as the General exited to his office.

"I will be in the control room if you need me." Sam said and the three members of SG1 went to the locker room.

SG1 had left through the gate. Sam was a bit envious that they left. It seemed that every time they left without her, she started to sink into a sadness that engulfed her. She wanted to be out there with them with her team.

While walking back to her lab, she felt a pressure in her lower abdomen, then a sudden release. She felt the wetness engulf her clothing and realized that her water just broke. Just then Sam caught a familiar figure ahead in the Corridor, turning a corner away from her.

"Feretti!" Sam yelled out getting her attention. "Feretti!" Sam yelled again.

Feretti had heard her the first time and went over to her. "Sam, what is wrong?" He was completely oblivious that she was standing in a puddle of her amniotic fluid.

"My water broke. Can you help me to the infirmary?" Sam asked with panic in her voice.

"OK, Sam, calm down. I will help you there. No need to panic. I know you. This is nothing." Feretti tried to help.

"What would you do if you went into labor two weeks early, have you doctor lost on another planet and you husband out finding her?" Sam was losing her rational sense, but it was coming back to her. "Sorry about that. I am worried."

"Nothing wrong with that. Lets just see what Doc Warner has to say, ok?" Feretti said as he escorted her down the halls.

In the Infirmary, Warner was right there when they walked in. Beckoning for a nurse, he has the nurse help Sam change out of her clothing. In the meantime, Feretti went to General Hammond to report. Also to rely Sam's request not to get a hold of Jack until they knew what was going on. Jack was really needed out there to find SG17.

Warner then began to check Sam. "Good, the Baby's head is down and lets see here." Warner reached in-between Sam's legs and checked for dilation. "But you are not dilating. Tell me have you felt any contractions?" Warner asked.

"Actually none what so ever. No back pain, or anything to that effect. I panicked a bit when my water broke but that is the only sign I have that I was in labor." Sam winced a bit when the nurse put the IV in her hand.

"What I would like to do is get you up and walking around. That helps. I am having a portable fetal monitor attached to you. I do not see why you cannot go and work a bit. I want to check you every hour. If there is not progression then I would like to start you on Petocein." Sam nodded. The nurse came back with some clothed for Sam to wear.

Getting up and pulling an IV pole, Sam went back to her business. Entering the Elevator, Sam looked down at her belly, "You know your dad is not going to be too thrilled that you are wanting to come out when he is not here." A small audio player attached to the portable fetal monitor indicated the increase in the baby's heart rate when Sam talked to it.

Going into her lab, Sam felt like cleaning. She wanted the place clean for some reason. Starting with her desk, Sam began filing. Before she knew it, an hour had gone by and Doc Warner had sent for her. Entering back into the infirmary, Sam got onto an exam table; "Feel anything?" Warner asked indicating if she had any contractions.

"Nope. Sorry." Sam answered.

Warner again did an exam and sighed, "Nothing at all again."

"Almost as if this Child is not sure if it wants to come out or not." Sam sounded disappointed. Getting up Sam was heading out the door.

"See you in an hour Major." Warner added as she left.

Not wanting to go back to her Lab, Sam decided to head for the control room. There she could monitor the teams coming in and out. She could also wait for Jack.

"Major, what are you doing here?" General Hammond said as she noticed Sam struggling to get up the stairs with the IV pole. He motions to Simmons to help her.

"Warner suggested that maybe I should do some work. It would help the birthing thing along. So far all that has happened is that my water broke. None of the other things that should be happening is happening." Sam moved over to the Computer and sat down. "Any news?"

"None." General Hammond said placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Incoming traveler." Simmons said.

"We have and IDC of SG3" Sam said looking at the computer. She was impressed that the Computer was detecting the IDC codes faster then they normally did. She spent her time when SG1 was away doing computer programs.

"Open the Iris." General Hammond ordered.

A few minutes later, Mellous (Makepeace's replacement) and is team came through the gate. Hammond leaned over the microphone, "Welcome back SG3, debriefing in 90 minutes." SG3 then nodded to the control room and headed to the showers and infirmary.

Sam spent some time working with her Ghost program on the computer. She wanted to make sure that the gates that did not open a second time were still in the line-up to be tried again. Sam once again lost all track of time, and did not realize what time it was until Dr. Warner tapped her on the shoulder.

"Major I expected you in the infirmary 45 minutes ago." Warner said strongly.

"Sorry Doc, you know me. Once I get started into something I can't stop." Sam replied.

"Everyone lets take a coffee break. Clear the control room." Hammond said.

"What?" Sam was confused.

"Listen Major, if you are not going to the infirmary to be checked out like you should have, then you are going to be checked out right here." General Hammond said and they all left.

Warner did his check, "Still nothing. Look, I am going to start you on the Petocein." Warner then hooked her up to a second IV bag that was filled with the drug needed. Sam hoped that the kid would take a hint.

"How long do you think it will take?" Sam asked.

"Not sure, it works differently all the time." Warner said.

Just then the Gate automatically opened like the computer was programmed to do, in order to check in with the rescue mission. "Doctor, could you go get General Hammond?" Sam asked and then turned to the communications console. "This is the SGC come in."

"SG Command this is SG1, and what a beautiful voice you have today, Simmons." Jack joked.

"Very Funny, Colonel. What is going on?" Sam asked, Just then the others walked back into the control room.

"We located SG17. Everyone is fine. Apparently there was an electrical storm that screwed up the communications." Jack reported.

"Good Job, SG1 and SG17 come on home." General Hammond said, "Oh by the way Colonel, Your wife's water broke and she is being Stubborn about things."

"Thanks General, Now listen to me Sam, I am an hour away from the gate…" Jack started.

"Well then…" Sam paused, she finally felt her first contraction.

"Sam?" Jack became concerned when she stopped talking.

"I am ok. Look, just so you know, my water broke, I am not dilated and I am on Petocein now to start the labor process. So just get home and we shall see who is going to be doing the talking." Sam snapped at Jack.

The Stargate was disengaged and everyone seemed to have a bit of relief on their faces. "With all due respect sir, but Colonel O'Neill did not need to know about all this until he returned."

"With all due respect Major, You, I can handle. He I cannot not. Besides his mission is complete, so I told him. Besides, I do not answer to you." Hammond said. He knew that right now it maybe the medications talking when it came to her.

"Look, Major, when Colonel O'Neill comes through that gate, you are to report to the infirmary with him." Doctor Warner said as he left the control room.

The following hour seemed to go by slow. The Petocein that Sam was taking seemed to kick in. Her contractions began and they were about every 2 to 3 minutes apart. Sam had every intention on meeting Jack in the Gate room. When the gate started to engage and SG1 code was verified, Sam started down the stairs when another contraction hit. Simmons held onto Sam when General Hammond ordered Jack up to the control room.

"Sam?" Jack ran up the stairs in full gear to see Sam breathing through a contraction. Her knuckles were white where she grasped the stair railing. Janet also joined them and checked on Sam before the contraction ended.

When the pain subsided, Jack took Simmons place. "Ok lets get this part to the infirmary shall we." Jack said more as an order than a question.

Sam lies on a bed in an exam room set up as a delivery room. There she waited alone until Doctor Warner cleared the members of SG1 and Janet.

Jack entered as quickly as he could. He dressed in scrubs so that he would not have to go to the locker room to change. "Hey beautiful, Sorry for being away so long."

"It's alright, it is procedure." Sam said.

"Now want to tell me why you did not want to tell me about you and the baby." Jack said, but did not ask.

"Truth be told, with Janet missing I was scared, I knew you could find her, but if I told you then…" Sam was cut off by another contraction.

Sam and Jack were breathing when Janet walked in with Doctor Warner. They watched as the contraction passed. "Alright Sam, I want to check you." Janet said as she pulled back the covers and felt her cervix. "Well it seems the drugs have paid off. You are 2 cm now. I am going to clean up. A nurse will check you in an hour. Cassie will want to hear from me as well."

"Thanks Janet." Sam said.

"Yeah, thanks Doc." Jack followed Janet's lead.

An hour came and went. During that time, Daniel, Teal'c have come in and out. They were probable making sure that Sam had not castrated him with her bare hands.

The nurse finally came in to check Sam once more. Sam looked at Jack when she realized that they nurse was not removing her hand and was actually holding the child back. That made Sam hurt even more. "What is it?" Sam blurted out.

The nurse scrambled for the phone and dialed up Janet. "Doc you are needed now. Looks as if we have a prolapsed Umbilical." Not even two minutes went by before Janet was in the room. Then from there things got worse.

"Get me Doctor Warner and prepare for a c-section." Janet said. Then turned to Sam and Jack. Janet right now was holding the child in. "Look guys this is not good, The umbilical cord is draped on top of the child's head. The baby is in distress as well. If we do not do a c-section we will lose the baby. I won't let that happen.

When the infirmary buzzed, it buzzed. Things were happening all too quickly that no one seemed to notice that Sam was losing a lot of blood. That was until her EKG went off and Sam went into Cardiac arrest.

Jack was literally pushed out of the room. Outside he was greeted by General Hammond, Daniel, Teal'c and Jacob Carter. (Daniel and Teal'c sent the signal to him when they came back from their mission.)

"Well, Son?" General Hammond asked. Jack had the What-the-hell-is-happening look on his face, not to mention the not-again look.

"The baby's cord was caught up. They were preparing to do a C-section, when Sam went into cardiac arrest." Jack then started to cry, loud and hard. "I can't lose them." Daniel moved to comfort his friend when jack started to pace back and forth. No one could touch him.

About a half-hour later, Janet came out of the infirmary. "Colonel O'Neill, could you step into my office please?" Janet asked.

Jack did not hesitate. He stepped in and waited for her to join him. "Jack, things got really close. All I have to say is that you are a very lucky man. Sam is fine. She should be ok in a few days. She bleed too much and that caused her cardiac arrest."

"Thank-you Doc!" Jack sighed a bit but then wanted to know the rest. "And the baby?"

"Why don't you come and meet your son." Janet smiles. The two of them walked into an isolation room where the boy is. When seeing the baby boy kick and scream, Jack turned to Janet and gave her a big hug and a kiss on the top of her head.

"I owe you everything, Janet." Jack said as he picked up his son.



Two weeks later-



The house was alive with she sounds of a baby and all that have come over. After the Christening of Jonathan Jacob O'Neill, Sam and Jack threw a party. Jack putting steaks on the grill, Jacob sat holding his grandson, Janet and Daniel, cuddled on the porch swing. General Hammond and Teal'c were preparing the rest of the food. Sam sat there with Cassie just chatting.

All was as it should be. That is until the next mission.



________________________________________________________________________