samandjack.net

Story Notes: NOTES: // means Jack's thoughts < > means Images on screen.

SPECIAL THANKS: To everyone who bugged me about this fic, thank you. To SRO… Just because.


"So once again we get screwed over by the damned Tok'ra! Have I mentioned lately how much they, with the exception of Jacob, are *really* beginning to Pi…"

"Frequently so O'Neill"

General Hammond was more than glad of the Jaffa's timely interruption. Jack O'Neill was just gearing up for another of his now famous tirades concerning the way the Tok'ra operated.

As Hammond glanced around the room he took in the faces of those present. Sam Carter was looking at her father trying valiantly to suppress the grin George knew was always lurking under the surface, while Jacob wasn't even trying to hide his mirth.

Daniel Jackson had a look of resignation and sparked interest while Teal'c remained as stoic as ever. It wasn't as if Hammond disagreed with the sentiment of his 2IC, but there was still a fair amount of explanations and requests to be made to and of his frontline team.

"Tok'ra intelligence informed us of the plan Colonel, in regards to that they are doing us a favour. We could have been snapped in the ass big time with this had it not been for Anise"

Seeing the consensus of nods emanating from the occupants of the room, Hammond may have been fooled into thinking that that had been enough to silence his officer. Yet knowing the Colonel as he did, George knew that Jack O'Neill wasn't one to acquiesce so easily and turned to wait for the comeback. He wasn't disappointed.

"Ok Sir, three points. 1) Tok'ra *intelligence*, no offence to you and Selmak Jacob, but General – contradiction in terms don't ya think? 2) Favour? Some favour! Instead of us getting ready to celebrate *our* party, we now have to fix the mess that their snakey arrogance has made and 3) I will *never* be grateful to Anise for *anything*!"

Ruthlessly squashing the grin that threatened his own composure, he turned to see that this time there was no stopping the smile on the Major's lips and as he glanced to the rest of the room, he saw the viewpoint of their Colonel echoed in every face. Jack may not be the most eloquent of speakers, but he knew how to get his point across.

In her usual role, Sam asked the next most logical question.

"With all due respect sir, how are we going to stop the assassination from occurring?

At last, thought the General, a voice of reason. He knew he could always rely on Sam for that. Even if it was just a very effective method of taking the focus from Jack and his more than slight irreverence.

"That Sam, is what George and I have been discussing for the last few hours" Jacob calmly responded.

"And are you going to actually tell us Jacob, or do we get to play charades?"

Jacob faced his daughter's CO and smiled. He'd come across Jack' O'Neill's before, soldiers with attitude and an irreverent sarcasm that held no scope for authority it did not respect. However, never where any as relentless as this particular man, and it was a quality that Jacob perversely admired as it was the instincts of a great leader and of a survivor.

"I was gonna tell you Jack"

"Woah! De'ja vu!"

The Colonel's latest batch of freshly brewed sarcasm was this time quashed easily by the now subtle authority in the face of Jacob Cater and accordingly, the room fell silent in anticipation of the explanation and the plan.

Shaking his head slightly, the elder Carter continued to brief his daughter and her team, giving Hammond a few minutes with which to order his own thoughts into motion and hopefully ease this damn headache that had been threatening all morning.

This was supposed to have been a rare week of relative calm for the SGC. It was the week that the SGC, or more accurately SG1, where to be given the reward that they deserved. The president had insisted that after the "Replikator" incident he wanted to thank SG1 and the SGC personally for their efforts. As such a formal party was to be organised. At first Hammond was none too thrilled with the idea, but as news spread it had become a landmark event to all in the SGC.

The "Well Done SG1, You Saved the Planet… Again" party (as Colonel O'Neill had christened it) was an opportunity for much needed downtime base wide and as such everyone had been involved in it's planning.

By request of Daniel, Teal'c and most of the female population of the base, the event was black-tie and ball gown. Uniforms, apparently were "not fair because Teal'c and I would feel left out" and where also "no fun because we wanna play women not soldiers for once" according to Janet Fraiser, Samantha Carter and virtually every other woman on base. So it was officially a non-uniform occasion, and it wasn't the hurt feelings of an archaeologist and alien warrior that had won that victory, but rather the Major General's total unwillingness to get on the wrong side of several dozen highly trained women!

The entire base had been overcome with the party spirit. Even the mission injury and mortality rates had declined almost prompting the General to consider having a party every week.

That was until his old friend Jacob Carter had stepped through the event horizon that morning, bringing with him news of the "not so good" category and a headache to match. Usually it was the actions of his frontline team or more usually Jack O'Neill, that caused him headaches like this, *not* his best friend.

Apparently having Tanith around had finally caused a problem. He had managed to get Goa'uld spies to Vorash with the intent of using Jacob Carter's invitation as a means to smuggle said spies to Earth to assassinate the President. That however was the easy part of the problem.

With the timing born through years of military service Hammond snapped himself from his own thoughts just as Jacob was finishing his explanation to SG1.

"… The problem being that the Tok'ra have no idea who the spies are. No Tok'ra operative saw them arrive and they will undoubtedly have been in hiding from the moment they arrived for fear of being recognised as an outsider…"

"Jacob?" questioned Jack "why do I sense a "but" coming here?"

"That's what I like about you Jack… you're so perceptive"

Sam and Daniel exchanged smirks at the sarcasm evident in Jacob's tone, but both concentrated on his next words because they had sensed the "but" too.

Smiling from his daughter, to Daniel and then finally back to Jack, Jacob continued to address the room.

"*But* we may have an advantage here. "We" as in the Tok'ra have no idea who the spies are, *but* "you" as in Jack and Teal'c could very well have seen them when you came to Vorash last month for Martouf's burial. Your, um… "Extended scouting mission" with Teal'c may have led you to see the spies Jack.

Jack stiffened slightly at Jacob's insinuation. Ok, so he'd got bored with the "Martouf the Great" fan club and had gone for a scout around. He had been sick to death about hearing how wonderful snake- boy was and as he was in no position to help Sam, he felt out of place. Too many people, their General and her father meant that any comfort and "shoulder lending" he gave her would have to wait.

A small bittersweet smile crept on his lips at the memory of their return from Vorash. He had been waiting for her in her lab with some lame excuse of why he was there. Gradually he guided her to the subject she needed to talk about. Slowly, she spoke about both her and Jolinar's feelings for Martouf as he held her and let her deal with them in turn. So very grateful that he was the one to whom she confided in, but at the same time hating to see the pain her memories caused her. She didn't cry, but Jack could read her eyes so expertly that he saw every feeling of grief and guilt that she felt.

Forcibly removing himself from the memories he clung to as a means of keeping her close, he took control of his thoughts once more. His subconscious mind may have the freedom of his memories, but his conscious focus had to return to the problem at hand.

"Let me guess, you expect Teal'c and myself to identify your spies for you?"

"Yes Colonel, that's what we're hoping for, if not we go to "plan B"

"Generals? Do "we", as in your stooges…"

Jack's hand gesture between himself and Teal'c brought another smile to his Major's lips

"…have a means to ID these guys…? Photo Album? An old fashioned line up? Or do we just ask for a "hands up if you're a Goa'uld Spy with a mission to assassinate the President" kinda deal among your Tok'ra buddies?

Jacob was beginning to understand what George had meant when he said Jack was a "walking headache" when they had been talking earlier.

"Excuse me? But what's plan B?" the interruption from the previously silent archaeologist had taken the room by surprise and just for a second even Jack was thrown into a temporary muteness by Daniel's question.

"Daniel, can we just deal with "plan A" first please?"

Well I did say it was a "temporary" muteness.

This time it was Hammond who answered Jack because Jacob was still staring at Daniel, amazed at how his mind could focus on details when Jack O'Neill was in full flight. "Years of experience" Jacob concluded as George resumed the briefing.

"Colonel, we believe that the Tok'ra memory device using the visual display screen would be the most effective method to gain any information that you or Teal'c may possess. That way, Jacob can actually see what you saw while you where on Vorash and can identify any faces that neither he nor Selmak recognise"

Looking his 2IC square in the face, Hammond could see the emotions flicking across Jack's features, all vying to be voiced first.

"You're kidding… Right?" reading Hammond's impassive gaze, Jack looked to Sam for reassurance "Tell me he's joking?"

Not even his Major could give him the answer he needed this time. Finally left with no alternative, Jack looked to Jacob desperately and with what could only be described as a pleading edge to his voice he begged.

"Please, tell me your joking"

"Sorry Colonel not this time. We need any clue we can get and right now you and Teal'c are our only means of possible identification"

Seeing that Jack was still resolutely unconvinced, the General's looked towards each other as Daniel chimed in once more.

"Come on Jack, this makes sense. Stopping an assassin is a whole lot easier to do if you know what they actually look like…"

"Daniel!" Jack interrupted "Do you actually remember these things… they hurt like Hell and aren't what you could call an exact science"

Daniel knew that Jack was referring more to Sam's last meeting with the devices on their mission to Na'tuu more than Sg1's collective experience with Hathor. Yet Jack's almost desperate attempts to avoid what everyone knew was unavoidable didn't make sense, it didn't make sense at all… unless…

"Yes Jack I remember them, but come on, don't tell me you're scared of a little pain or are you worried about some big secret you have. You shouldn't be, we all have top secret clearance"

Jack mentally plotted to make sure the next planet they visited had a billion pollen filled trees and flowers and that *somehow* Daniel's allergy kit would get lost in transit!

Glancing from Space-monkey, to Jaffa. To General to General-come- Tok'ra, Jack knew that he had zero choice in the matter. But as his dark eyes caught her blue ones he knew that this was gonna be *very* bad.

//Oh for cryin' out loud! Jack mentally rebuked himself. It can't be that difficult to keep her out of your head for a few minutes! Ok so, so far the memory of that kiss hasn't left your head, but if you try *really* hard… black ops training remember! //

"As long as I still get my party hat" he finally gave in as the entire room visibly relaxed, he just wished he could get rid of the pessimistic feeling that had settled in the pit of his stomach.



^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*



Jack's feeling of "bad" had escalated proportionally throughout Teal'c's test, the more obvious it was that Teal'c hadn't seen anything, or rather *anyone* out of the ordinary, the more intense Jack's gut feelings became. All too soon for Jack he was ushered towards the seat, with the familiar sharp stabbing pain at his temple testament that his ordeal was about to start.

//Just keep *that* out of your head Jack… think hockey scores… name, rank, serial number… hockey scores…// Jack chanted the mantra to himself over and over as he was hooked up. This always worked during Black Ops… this couldn't be that hard…

With that resolve Jack finally opened his eyes, to be faced with two Generals, a Jaffa, an archaeologist and a pair of blue eyes that ripped his resolve to tiny little pieces.

//uh-oh… hockey scores… name, rank, serial number…//

Just then Jack was brought out of his *serious* concentration by Jacob.

"Are you ready Colonel?"

"As I'll ever be… //hockey scores... name, rank, serial number…//

"Ok, Jack. Now think about coming through the gate when you arrived on Vorash. Think about what you could see"

Immediately an image came into focus on the large screen… Major Samantha Carter's butt to be precise. As soon as humanly possible Jack brutally fought his mind to bring the image of Tok'ra faces to the screen. //close call Jack, close call//

Not close enough though, Jack kept his head down so he didn't see the smirks that erupted across the room, or the reddish tinge that crept into a certain Major's cheeks.

Jacob saw his daughter's reaction and decided to take some pity on her.

"Ok Jack, all of those faces we know. Show me what you saw on your way to the tunnels"

The screen flickered to life once more, this time Jack was concentrating so very hard that only images of faces came onto the screen. Again Jacob knew them all, especially the tall blond Major that popped up with definite regularity.

As Jack was led through his visit to Vorash, he was quietly proud of himself for keeping her and *that* out of his head. Jacob had recognised everyone Jack had brought to the screen and it was not without a huge sense of relief, that Jack was asked to project the final minutes of his encounters on the screen.

For what he hoped would be the final time, Jack kept his thoughts under tight reign. That was until he brought images of after the funeral to the screen. Before he could stop them, the picture showed Sam's face, huddled close to what could only have been Jack considering the angle that she was seen from. She was smiling through water filled eyes and it was a smile that no one in the room could misinterpret. Jack cursed himself and brutally changed the image… this time on to the screen came a newspaper section full of hockey scores.

Sam couldn't look at anyone, she remembered that moment. She felt safe and warm when he had put his arm around her. She felt right… for the first time in a long time and it showed. Perversely she was pleased that Jack had understood her emotions, she could give him so little, but she knew now that somehow that for now, that was enough.

Somewhere in his hockey filled head, Jack became aware of Daniel's tactful cough and as he opened his eyes he knew everyone had seen it. //So sue me, it wasn't as if… DON'T GO THERE!//

Luckily for Jack, it was Teal'c who switched his mind from the subject before any damage could have been done.

"General Carter, neither I nor Colonel O'Neill was able to provide the information that you required, what now is your plan of action?"

Taking his eyes from Jack, Jacob bit back a grin. This was too good an opportunity to waste.

"George and I need to finalise those arrangements Teal'c, but you will all be fully briefed as soon as we have a solid stance. For now I do have one question…"

Jacob put on his best "general-dad" voice before continuing.

"Jack, why do you have such a pre-occupation with my daughter?"

The reaction of the room was classical. Daniel snorted in mirth, George bit back a grin the size of Texas, Teal'c raise *both* his eyebrows and Sam looked from her impassive faced father to a now definitely panicking Colonel and knew she had turned blood red.

//Shit… this is BAD//

Before Jack had even finished the sentence in his head a new image popped up on the screen. An image that no other living person could possibly know about… an image that showed Jack wandering into the control room.

Just before the screen when black, everyone in the room was witness to the letter, the watch and the face of Sam Carter as hands framed her face and her lips grew closer and closer until no doubt remained as to why the screen went black.

A certain Colonel's eyes closed now in a mirror echo of that moment, only this time they didn't close to savour the sensation of having Sam in his arms and her lips on his. They closed now in a silent self curse…

//SHIT//

As he ripped out the thin wire that attached the memory device to the screen he heard Daniel and two Generals draw a sharp stunned breath at the image he had projected on the screen. Jack knew that Teal'c would betray no emotion; that the Jaffa would understand that this was something he did not wish to share. In a room where such a "confession" could very likely lead to court-martial and possible bodily harm, perversely, Jack's only concern was a Major whose eyes he was half-afraid to meet.

"Colonel?"

The question being her only audible thought at that stage. She needed some form of explanation, but for the life of her she was torn between wanting to hear that explanation and running very far, very fast.

No emotion was detectable on her face apart from shock at what she had just seen. Her Colonel had just showed her General, her friends and her *father* that he had kissed her passionately without fear of recrimination and she had absolutely no recollection of the incident!

At the sound of the question and delicate sense of tears in her voice Jack forced his eyes to open, only to be greeted by questioning blue depths of shimmering light. A light that barricaded his words, letting him know immediately that she was upset and not just a little angry.

He felt his heart splinter. He had realised that she wouldn't run into his arms and return the favour, but he had never once expected the accusation of betrayal he found in her eyes.

It was as if the whole room faded to black, his only concern being her reaction.

"When?" he heard her choke the words out, her anger beginning to surface.

"During the time loop" the answer was feeble, but he couldn't say anything else. He knew she knew what he meant as she lowered her head to the floor.

Jack didn't know what to do. There was nothing he could say and seemingly nothing that he could do other than sit and wait for the inevitable condemnation from his General.

But it wasn't his General who next spoke, it was a voice he dreaded even more and it was spitting fire.

"You took advantage of me Colonel! You took your chance and you used it to your advantage. Did you get a thrill knowing that I would never know what you did? Did you enjoy it? Did you think that resigning first would make everything all right? That you would be able to live off your secret little fantasy for the rest of your life? That's just sick! How could you do that to me?"

To say that Jack was stunned by her outburst was an exercise in understatement. Ok, she was mad and that gave her a certain amount of leeway… but what she was saying and how she was saying it threw him completely. He thought she had "feelings" for him too... *surely* she would understand.

"Sam" his voice was low and controlled, hiding the emotion far from the surface. "I'm sorry, I know that you're embarrassed, but please… "

He never got to finish the sentence as her ire piqued once again

"Embarrassed? Why would you possibly think that? Just because my friends, CO and father have just witnessed that little bit of "fun" you had? No I'm not embarrassed *Jack* I'm upset because I thought that out of everyone on the planet I could trust you not to hurt or embarrass me… I was wrong"

With that her voice broke, and unwilling to let all see her tears, she left the room with the force of a tornado.

Jack watched her leave as he tried to reign the feelings of hurt that her words had caused. As her final accusations sank into his head, he felt a very different emotion consume him. Fun? She thought it was fun? A thrill? Taking advantage? Maybe he had taken advantage but only of the opportunity… but he had *never* taken advantage of her.

She had run away without hearing his side of things… well that was about to change.

Mirroring his Major's exit Jack left his friends and CO with neither permission nor explanation. He had to find Sam… there was no way on Earth she was going to level those charges at him without allowing him the chance to defend himself. Not when he knew how *she* had reacted to the kiss… no chance in hell.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



As they watched Jack leave the room, it was Daniel who spoke up first.

"I knew it! I knew Jack had taken his opportunity during those loops! That'll be twenty dollar's please Generals" His smile threatening to crack his face.

"Dammit Jacob, you just cost me money!"

"Money is nothing George, I just wanna see who wins this next bet. Double or nothing that Sammie kicks his ass"

"You're on General Carter" Smiled Daniel "Jack will talk her round, she loves him" Daniel's self confidence was infectious to all but the Jaffa warrior.

"Of that I would not be so certain DanielJackson, Major Carter is hurt and deeply confused as such I do not think that she will forgive O'Neill as readily as you imagine"

"Ditto Teal'c, I have seen that look on my little girl's face before. Jack is in for one helluva ride"

"Oh great" came the words of the General who was seated behind his desk pinching the bridge of his nose "Now I have Tok'ra spies, a threatened assassination, and two officers about to make it the longest week of my life"

"About that party General Hammond, how would you like to hear an idea that would eliminate each aspect of your headache?"

"I'm all ears Dr. Jackson…"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*



"Airman" Jack barked "Has Major Cater come this way?"

"Um yes Sir" Stammered the Airman, wow, what the Hell was up with the Colonel? He thought.

"WELL??? Where did she go?" Jack's patience was failing quickly, something which the SF recognised just as quickly.

"The Major was heading to the surface, Sir"

Before the last syllable had died on his lips, Jack was sprinting up the corridor. She wasn't running away from this until he had said his piece, even if that meant following her home and breaking down the door. He was not going to let her turn him into a "dirty old man" when all he had done was succumb to his feelings for her *once*.

He was human and he loved her with every ounce of his being and for her to think that he had taken advantage of her and had betrayed her was too much for him to bear.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



She threw herself into her car; rainwater streaming down the windscreen as tears welled in her eyes. She had to get a grip of herself before she could drive in storm like this.

Swearing heartily under her breath, she lifted her head to see Jack O'Neill stood in front of her car, his hands placed purposefully on his hips with a look on his face that spoke of gritted determination.

He was effectively blocking her way, unless she ran right over him, a thought that at this moment wasn't so unappealing. She could see that he was already beginning to get wet from the rain that was pouring down, but she felt no sympathy as she rolled down her window.

"Colonel!" Her voice was icy "Leave me alone, don't you think you've done enough damage already?"

Her voice sliced into him, as he stood unyielding in front of her car. He had to have his say, he just hoped she would think twice against actual homicide.

"Why Sam? What damage have I done? Explain that to me"

She opened her mouth, no doubt to tell him exactly what he had done, but he didn't give her the chance to speak as he continued in a tone that left no room for argument.

"Explain to me how *one* moment of human weakness, one moment when I could feel what it would be like have the thing I dream about, without anyone getting hurt could make me a monster. Damn it Carter, I'm not a machine!"

The raw emotion that laced his voice coupled with the sight of him now drenched to the skin, water streaming down his face as his clothes clung to every angle of his body, would have, under different circumstances, sent Sam's heart pounding, but not now. She was too hurt and confused to listen to anything that he had to say.

"Colonel, like it or not you took advantage of me… of the situation. You betrayed my trust for the want of a few seconds of gratification. You have shown me perfectly just how much you respect me"

Jack felt the sting of her words as he wiped the rivulets of water from his face, words that wounded him deeply. But he knew that what she spoke was fuelled on embarrassment, he understood that much.

Well she wanted it all in the open, so be it. She'd hurt him badly with her words, and he could think no further than of a little retaliation.

Jack moved slowly with purpose to the driver's door of the car. Sam had rolled the window down to shout at him earlier, so bracing his hands on the ledge he felt the rain continue to pour down his body. Yet he was oblivious to its cold, he was on fire with carefully controlled emotions of his own.

"What do you think I did Major?" he hissed thought clenched teeth as he leant in so close to her that he could smell her hair. "Because I will not let you turn me into some depraved monster when all I did was kiss you, *once*".

By his tone Sam knew that she had pushed him too far. That she had hurt him more deeply than she would ever have thought possible and although she was still locked to his gaze, her own eyes spitting a stubborn fire, somewhere in the recesses of her mind she knew that she had been very, very wrong.

Though she would not let her eyes leave his, even as he continued his verbal assault.

"You saw the image, could you see yourself pulling away? No, because you kissed me back Sam. In that brief moment of time, you wanted me just as badly as I wanted you. Lie to yourself if you have to, but you can't lie to me. I felt, saw and tasted your reaction to me. You think I betrayed you, fine, feel that way, but let me tell you, betrayal would have been if I had took you further than a kiss, and believe me when I say I could have done, oh so very *very* easily"

He was a picture of only just held onto rage, and it was a testament to his feelings for her that he held that rage in check. But his ire had not been salved quite enough yet, so leaning even closer to her, so that the rivers of rain drops splashed onto her clothes he finished what he had come to say.

"If you want to blame me for being human, go right on ahead, but I will always know how you lit on fire in my arms Sam, you can never take that away from me. *You* saw you're reaction on that screen, it was your arms around my neck and your lips kissing *me* back. If you want to keep hiding from what you feel go right ahead. You asked me if I had enjoyed it, damn right I did, every single moment and if I had the opportunity again I wouldn't think twice about taking it"

The look in his now almost black eyes told her conclusively that he meant it and a small shiver ran down her spine at the thought. Yet he still wasn't done.

"Just ask yourself what it is you're mad at Carter. Are you mad because I gave in to my feelings or are you mad because you can't remember what it feels like to be in my arms?"

"You arrogant Son of a Bitch! What the…"

His steely voice cut off her anger-fuelled retort.

"Arrogant it may be, but it's the truth"

Without another word, his eyes relayed his feelings more expressively than any words as he turned sharply, splashing water over her once more as he stalked away.

She knew then just how gravely she had hurt him. But the problem was that now she was madder than ever. How dared he come here and make it sound like she was overreacting? How dared he make her feel like *she* had wronged *him* How dared he do all that and look so god damned sexy while he was doing that!

Her mind's eye conjured up the image of him stood leaning close on the car door. Water running in crazy patterns over his absurdly long eyelashes, skirting his dark eyes and down his tense jaw line. His black T-shirt sodden and clinging to the angles of his chest, while his hands where curled so tight with rage that his knuckles had turned white. But it was what she could see in his eyes that had begun to gradually melt away her own fury… well he had hurt her too… kinda.

Wiping the droplets of moisture from her face without thought as to whether they where her own tears or a result of her Colonel's "rain- stance", she put her car into gear and headed home, still mad as hell at Jack O'Neill. Only now she wasn't quite sure just *why* she was mad at him - for kissing her or because he was right?



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



"Dr. Jackson, calm down"

"General, with respect how can I calm down when they haven't so much as looked at each other for almost a week. They are pulling each other apart because both are too stubborn to make the first move. Jack refuses point blank to even talk about it and Sam won't admit she's wrong cause she's still mad, only now she's mad because whatever he said to her hit home in the truth department…"

"Daniel, don't worry about it. George and I have decided to use your idea's for plan B and give them a little push in the right direction"

Daniel's interest piqued at Jacob's words as he listened carefully.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



Sam knew that she would have to face him eventually, and it seemed like that "eventually" was right about now.

She had done a whole lot of thinking over the last few days, mainly as a result of the permanent vision she had in her mind of the look in his eyes while she sat in her car. The question he had asked her had added surround sound to her mind's eye and she had realised that she had been wrong. He had been right with his allegation that she had been mad because she couldn't remember what it felt like to be kissed by the man she loved.

Ok, so having everyone witness the scene had embarrassed her, but to accuse him of a betrayal of her trust… no, that was wrong especially since she knew in her heart that given the same opportunity, she would, more than definitely have done the same thing. Only she didn't think *she'd* have had the willpower to stop it at a kiss.

So with visions concerning herself, her colonel and the control room desk floating around her head she entered the briefing room for the scheduled briefing for the plan to catch the Tok'ra spies.

Sam took her usual seat and waited quietly for the General and her father to come in without even looking at Jack O'Neill.

It wasn't because she did want to, she just couldn't.

She knew she had to make things right, but as she sneaked a peak at him, the total detachment in his whole being made her physically shiver and her resolve deserted her. Besides, she didn't think the General would be too happy for this to be brought up again.

It had surprised her that nothing had been said by Daniel, her General or by her father, but she had assumed that they had been too busy planning how best to handle the spy situation to deal with herself and her Colonel.

Jack felt his blood boil with anger and disappointment as he looked through veiled eyes towards her. She was running away from this… from him. Well if she wanted to throw what he knew they could have together away, fine. She obviously didn't care about him enough to take a risk and it was that thought that steeled him against the pain he felt in every nerve of his body.

He was removed from any further introspection by the entrance of the two Generals. Standing quickly he noticed that Sam still couldn't look at him, she *always* looked at him. However his frustration was set aside by an ability born through years of pain, he shifted his focus away from his emotions.

"At ease" came the expected reply as General's Hammond and Carter took their seats and without preamble began their briefing.

"After much deliberation, Jacob and I have reached the conclusion that it would be in the best interests of all parties to go ahead with the celebration. To call it off would only serve to alert Tanith to the Tok'ra's knowledge of him, which we feel, would be far more detrimental. To that end, with the help of Dr. Jackson we have devised a plausible and hopefully effective means of containing and eliminating the posed threat."

Hammond nodded to Jacob, who without missing a beat took over the briefing.

"As you know a blended host can sense the Naquada that is present in other symbiotes and Goa'ulds in general. As such I have sent for two trusted friends of mine and together with Teal'c and Sam's remnant ability to sense Naquada we believe that the five of us, when positioned correctly around the function room can create a "sensor net" to detect the spies. Once the Naquada is sensed identification can me made and with the backup of Special Forces we can detain the threat. Any questions?"

No one in the room spoke. Jack ran the plan through in his mind, it was sound and hopefully enough to stop the threat. Even though it went against his better judgement, he knew that although Tanith may be a dangerous commodity, he was indeed valuable to the Tok'ra's cause.

Reading the silence in the room correctly, Hammond continued and rolled out a floor plan of the function room.

"Jacob, you will be circulating in the upper right hand corner staying close to the President. Teal'c you and Dr. Jackson will be stationed at the rear exit, covering the lower right portion of the room. The two Tok'ra friendlies Jacob has sent for will cover the lower left and upper left portions of the room respectively. That leaves the middle section of the room to Major Carter and you Colonel. That is the largest area and as such requires not only the ability to sense Naquada, but also your experience in covert operations Colonel"

Both Sam and Jack recoiled inwardly at that aspect of the plan. General Hammond was effectively forcing them into a situation where any lack of understanding or miscommunication could potentially be disastrous, yet both knew that the plan was necessary and had been allocated according to individual strengths. Pre-occupied with personal feelings, Carter and O'Neill missed the conspiratorial exchange of glances that skittered around the room as Jacob continued.

"If either Teal'c or Sam sense the Naquada you need to find a method of notifying either myself of the two other Tok'ra without raising too much attention. If the spies become aware that they have been uncovered our plan goes straight to hell and all of us having experienced *that* particular place would agree we do not want that scenario to emerge."

Once again, perfectly on cue, Hammond took over.

"There will be a brief run though in the function room for SG1 as soon as the Tok'ra arrive at 1500 hours. We can run though positions and signals then. Dismissed."

Quickly Jack left the room, refusing to give his Major any opportunity to speak to him. Sam watched him go and slowly left the room herself as Daniel and Teal'c headed into the general's office for whatever reason. Right now she didn't care why those two didn't leave. She just knew she had to apologise and she would have to make up for a whole lot of hurt.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



"Well Jacob, it's upto them now"

"George, when they see where they are patrolling it'll be fine"

"I concur General Carter. Neither Major Carter or Colonel O'Neill will risk failing in their mission as a result of personal feelings"

"Teal'c's right General. They have been putting their duty ahead of their feelings for so long that it will just come naturally to them"

"From your mouth to God's ears Son, because if we miss those spies, I don't want to think about the consequences"

"General Hammond, with the provisions made, I believe the plan to be a successful one. It will be, as you say, a segment of pastry"

"Piece of cake Teal'c, it's a piece of cake"

"Very well DanielJackson, a Piece of cake"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^



Jack had gone to the function room early. He wanted to check out the scene and the areas that each group would be covering so that he could be fully aware during the celebration. Call it years of black ops which made him so attentive to details and tactics or call it a real need to stay well away from a certain Major until he really couldn't avoid her, but both assumptions were correct.

Letting his mind wander briefly to Sam, he felt the sharp stab of remorse run through him. Not for one second did her regret kissing her, even when it became apparent to him that it was an exquisite self inflicted torture to know just what it felt like, but never be able to do it again. What he did regret was his inability to control his thoughts during that damn memory thing. A slip up like that when he was on covert ops could have cost him dearly. Why was it that he could survive years of doing things that still made him feel physically sick, but couldn't control his feelings for a blonde haired Major with eyes that he would willingly lay down and die in?

Making his way over to the area of the room that had been designated for him and Carter, he couldn't shake the feeling that although the Generals' plan was faultless, there was an ulterior motive somewhere. Why else would Daniel be involved in strategic planning? That train of thought was abruptly cut off as he took a closer look at "his" area. It was right in the middle of the dinner tables and covered the area that was going to be the dance floor. That meant that he and Sam would have to eat and probably dance together until the spies showed their snakey little butts!

Just as he was about to unleash a torrent of words not fit for public consumption, something moved in his peripheral vision, that something was Jacob Carter

//Oh crap!//

"Finding the lay of the land huh Jack?"

"Something like that Sir"

Jack's tone gave a clear indication to Jacob that he knew precisely what was going on, finding no reason to feign ignorance Jacob smiled.

"Figured as much Son. But we really did place the best people at the best place, it just so happened that you and Sammie fit together perfectly for what we wanted"

Now in many people's eyes Jack O'Neill is hardly the brightest match in the box, but not even he misunderstood the innuendo lacing Jacob's words. So looking the older man square in the eye as a sign that he was neither going to apologise for, or deny his feelings, Jack waited for the elder man to continue.

"Jack, don't let her embarrassment win. She's stubborn and proud, although I have no idea *where* she gets it from, but I know she wouldn't have reacted to you like that if she didn't have some pretty strong feelings for you too"

"I know that General, and that's what's wrong here. She won't take the risk" Jack was kinda amazed that he was being so candid with Jacob Carter of all people. Not only could he have him up on charges before he could say "Yasureyabetcha" but he could also inflict some pretty serious bodily damage if he chose to.

"She won't take the risk Jack because you won't give her the chance to apologise. Now as your General, I know you won't let it compromise your duty this evening, but as Sam's Dad don't hurt my little girl anymore Jack.

Jack suddenly became aware that Jacob, by only mentioning "duty" in regards to this evening and by letting the emphasis of his comments hang on the "father" side of him was giving him notice that maybe the regs weren't such a big deal after all. But then again with the now obvious scheming that had been involved that shouldn't have surprised him at all.

"Put it this way Jack, I have seen her dress for this evening and when you do it won't matter what she has said, not said, done or not done. I see the way you light up when she's around and I can't wait to see the way you light up tonight. Don't screw this up, don't let this opportunity slip through your fingers Colonel. That's an order."

With that Jacob Carter turned on his heel and left Jack to brood on his words.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



At exactly 1500 hours, everyone was present for the run through. As Jacob and Hammond organised everyone into their places, Jack and Sam where given a few minutes alone, supposedly to be ironing out the fine details of their movements for the evening. Jack knew he should say something to her, something to let her know that if she were willing to take the risk he wouldn't shoot her down in flames. But as he looked at her, obviously nervous and unsure in his presence, he couldn't think of a damn thing to say. His pride wouldn't let him make the first move, but the fact that for the first time since he had known her, his Major looked tense around him, just didn't sit right with him.

For her part Sam was trying to judge whether now would be the best time to grovel profusely. Surely he wouldn't walk away when the potential for creating a scene was so big? She shook her head, this was Jack she was talking about, of course he would. He would walk away from God himself if he didn't want to hear what he had to say. It was Daniel who brought her out from her thoughts as he shouted across the room.

"So what type of signal do you want Generals?"

"Dr. Jackson, it is possible for you to come directly to either Jacob or myself if Teal'c senses the Naquada, as that wouldn't attract too much suspicion. That goes for our two Tok'ra friends. However Jack, you and Major Carter will have to think of a more suitable method. As you two are in full view of the crowds, neither of you will be able to leave the other…"

"Just dandy general! So how do you expect us to warn you? Smoke signals? Morse Code? Semaphore? Or should I…?"

"I'm sure you'll think of something Colonel" interrupted Hammond as he glanced over to Jacob and Daniel in turn. Jack was smiling at Sam, not one of his normal smiles, in fact it was barely detectable on his face, but Sam had seen it too and for the first time in a week she took an easy breath. He had given her the message loud and clear, now it was upto her. Who said our Colonel couldn't do subtle?

With an answering grin Jacob Carter dismissed the group, mentally rubbing his hands together. He knew that their plan would work and he knew that his daughter was going to be happy.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



Jack walked into the briefing room to a chorus of wolf whistles from his favourite little archaeologist and a Jaffa who had been spending way to much time with said Space Monkey. General's Carter and Hammond and two decidedly strange looking Tok'ra allies looking on, seemingly remarkably at ease in their penguin suits, although *anything* must be better than those normal deals they wore!

"Woah, Jack! You scrub up well. Look, you even managed to get that piece of hair to stay stuck down, what did you use? Industrial glue?"

Normally Daniel's joke would have earned him more than smiles from the room and a scowl from Jack, but tonight, everyone was waiting for the arrival of Major Samantha Carter.

The plan called for the "sensor net" meeting together early and travelling to the function room together, which for Jack was the worst possible scenario. It meant that he would get his first look at Sam in front of everyone and he knew that after Jacob's warning she was literally going to knock him for a loop. Somewhere his conscience pricked him into thinking that this must be how Sam felt when she had seen the kiss on the memory screen.

Jack's back was deliberately turned on his friends so his first awareness of Sam's grand entrance was the collective intake of breath from around the room. He felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end as he shoved his hands deep into his pockets as he listened to the comments of his fellow men, adamantly refusing to turn around just yet.

"Sam! You look stunning…/ Thank you Daniel… / Major Carter you look most beautiful… / thank you Teal'c… / Sweetheart, stunning, absolutely stunning… / not so bad yourself Dad… / I agree with your father Major, breathtaking… "

Jack could feel the smile she gave the General, and he could also feel her gaze levelling on his back, along with the other sets of eyes in the room.

"Colonel?" Her voice was low and unsure, but it was there none-the- less. A small step, but she wasn't running anymore.

//Don't blow this Jack//

Taking a deep breath he turned ever so slowly and lost his heart all over again to the sight before him. A long, floaty blue dress that matched her eyes, delicate dress shoes and a look on her face that threatened to stop his lungs functioning all together made for an image that would live in his mind for ever, regardless of the outcome of this evening.

Her heart was hammering a salsa beat in her chest, he only turned to look at her when she spoke his name. But when he did and she saw him for the first time in his tuxedo she figured she could die right there, cause she had found a little piece of heaven. He looked amazing, his broad shoulders accentuated by the black material, his tanned neck standing out against the crisp white shirt and his sinfully long legs showed off to perfection in the black pants.

Both where too engrossed in the other to notice the looks of triumph that passed between the cohorts. But it was with regret that Hammond, not for the first time since those two had met, had to break the sparks that flew, there was still a very important job to be done.

"OK folks, let's get this show on the road"

Sam looked at Jack and waited, but the only words spoken belonged to our colonel as he offered her his arm.

"Major?"

The question was an offering so large that it brought a lump to Sam's throat, knowing that he had just forgiven her. Taking his arm and gently resting her fingers on his tense forearm she let him lead her to the function room.

Duty first… Understanding shortly to follow.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



Daniel had been stationed so far back in the room that he couldn't see either of his friends, but that lack of bloodshed and the last report from General Hammond was promising.

Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill had been playing the well-mannered dinner companions to the table. They had spent the evening quietly conversing and dancing obligatory dances with the others occupants on their table. The worrying factor was that so far this evening they hadn't danced with each other. But Daniel knew that it was their priority of duty that came first and he also knew that they where both damn good at doing that duty.

General Hammond and Jacob Carter had been gently watching everyone in the room for signs of the "Sensor Net" activating. Not even when the President made his "Thank You for Saving the Planet… Again" speech there hadn't been any indication of the spies. The President had already been informed that SG1 wouldn't be going up on stage to take their bow and had been informed as to why. Which was why the "president" that stood on the stage right now was actually Sergeant Bellows of SG12.

No, nothing was gonna happen to the President.

Jack looked over at Sam for possibly the hundredth time in the last hour, she was talking quite happily with the ladies on their table and she looked stunning, beautiful, gorgeous, sexy... Take your pick, they all applied. The problem was that for the vast majority of the evening she hadn't said word one to him, apart from checking everything was all clear. Jacob had been right, as soon as he had seen her he had forgiven her for everything she had said, but Jack's pride wouldn't let him make the first move. He had to know that she would take that risk for him. That he meant as much to her as she did to him.

Sam was only partially listening to the conversations around her. A tall Colonel who had a lazy smile and chocolate eyes, a Colonel who was doing his best to look interested in what was being said to him, occupied her peripheral vision.

So far this evening she hadn't even had an inkling of Naquada and judging by the lack of action, neither had anyone else. So her mind had been occupied with how to apologise, how to show him what she felt.

Before this evening, her logic kept bringing up pesky details such as regulations and the fact that he wasn't even speaking to her and as such was probably very likely to walk right away from her as a way of stopping her from acting as her heart wished. That was until he had offered her his arm earlier.

That gesture had firmly kicked all her doubts into the next galaxy. That had meant more to her than she could say and she wasn't going to waste it, regulations or no. She loved him and she wanted him to know that. She just hoped that Hammond would accept her resignation and give her a civilian attachment with SG1. Right now she was just waiting for *her* opportunity.

Without warning Sam's ears pricked up as she heard the first few notes of a very familiar song. Like Jack, she had just been given her opportunity and like him, she wasn't going to waste it.

Jack saw her move. She was so graceful, so … so …perfect. She was… walking right up to him!

"Colonel?"

Her voice was faintly different in tone. Something he couldn't identify in the lilt, but it captured his attention. When he finally let his eyes met hers, the blueness held him prisoner and he was only vaguely aware of her proffered hand as she spoke once more.

"May I have this dance?"

Wordlessly they moved to the centre of the dance floor, as the words of the song began to perforate his clogged brain he took her hand in his as he held her at a respectable distance. This *had* to be her move.

Oh my love, my darling, I've hungered for your touch

Jack loved this song. Not generally known for sentimentality, he had only ever confessed his love for this song to Sam, a long time ago over a campfire in a galaxy far, far away. Right at this very moment he hoped against hope that this wasn't just a fluke, that she had asked him to dance to this song for a reason. //Please Sam, please//

A long, lonely time. And time goes by so slowly, But time can do so much.

Pulling away slightly, she looked into his slightly confused velvet brown eyes and whispered lightly.

"I'm sorry Jack, so sorry"

His heart nearly burst straight through his ribs as she began to sing the next lines of the song to him, her intense gaze never leaving his.

Are you still mine?

I need you love, God speed your love To me.

He couldn't actually believe that she was doing this, but at the same time he didn't think that even fate would be this cruel. She looked so vulnerable at that moment, no doubt afraid he was going to up and leave her stood in the middle of the dance floor. Nothing could be further from the truth; she had done what he was afraid she would never do. She had taken a risk for him.

With a swift movement her pulled her close and tight. His arms wrapping themselves around her back so firmly that he was half-afraid that he would squash her as they swayed together slowly.

Lonely rivers flow to the sea, To the open arms of the sea Lonely rivers sigh, wait for me I'll be coming home, wait for me.

He could feel her humming the words into his ear, he could feel his heart beating in his veins and he could feel *her*. Without conscious thought he began to speak the words of the song into her ear, feeling her shiver as his breath caressed the skin and his words caressed her heart.

Oh my love, my darling, I've hungered for your touch. A *long* *lonely* time.

Sam thought she had died and gone to heaven. She was wrapped securely in the arms of the man she loved and he was speaking words so amazingly literal to her. After the events of the last few days this was a sensation that she never dared hope for. But as yet, he had still not given her the sign that she wanted, but the lack of that was momentarily lost in the sensations he was creating as his deep voice continued to speak to her.

Time goes by so slowly And time can do so much

Sam heard his words, but the next line was hers. Placing a finger against his lips she asked him the question the song spoke of.

Are you still mine?

He didn't answer her. He didn't say a word.

Just as she was about to feel her own heart break, a different sensation took over her senses.

Naquada!

Leaning into his ear, she spoke urgently.

"Jack, I can feel the Naquada. To our left"

He nodded, showing her that he had heard her, yet he didn't let her go. He didn't move at all other than to shift her back in front of him as his fingers tipped her chin slightly so that she was looking him straight in the eye.

He spoke to her then, words he never thought he would say, but after forcing her to make the first move, it was time for him to make his.

Once again following the words of the song, he spoke into her eyes. His gaze leaving no room for misinterpretation, each word emphasised with years of tightly reigned emotion.

I need you love, I need your love.

Resting his forehead against hers, he held her gaze and continued.

God speed your love To… me.

Before the last syllable faded, Sam felt her lips taken by his in the sweetest, most soul searing kiss that she had ever known. She felt the smile tug at his lips as she melted into him.

So this was how it felt… amazing.

Suddenly she was brought out of the kiss by a noise and small tangle to her immediate left. As Jack's lips left hers she watched as he seemed to completely and immediately focus on the situation.

General Hammond and her father, together with two SF's were stood with another two men, obviously handcuffed and being led from the room. The spies, they had caught the spies.

But how? There had been no signal.

Suddenly a stone settled in place of her heart. Yes, there had been a signal so innocuous to the guests that it had fooled even her, but a signal so out of place that neither General could misunderstand its meaning.

Jack was firing off quick instructions to the SF's who led out the spies, while General Hammond clapped him on the back.

"Son, that was one helluva signal! Nice work, Colonel... kissing the Major indeed" With a slight chuckle Hammond smiled at Sam.

Her own composure failed her, it wasn't real. Those words, the look in his eyes… the kiss. None of it was real.

"Are you ok Sweetheart?"

She sensed the concern in her father's voice and managed to play the good little soldier once more.

"Yes Dad I'm fine" but try as she might, she could not keep the break in her voice from being heard.

Jack looked from General to General and taking their unspoken message; he turned his 2IC to face him.

"Carter? You thought that was real?" his question was tinged with a disbelief and mocking so blatant, that right now all she wanted to do was smack him so hard that it would wipe that self satisfied grin right off his face.

That was twice he had humiliated her, each time her own feelings got savaged in the process.

Ignoring his two superior officers and the just arrived archaeologist and Jaffa, Jack began to laugh softly.

"Oh my God, you did. You thought that was a real kiss" he could see that she was about to utilise some of that level 3 advanced training on him, but he carried on regardless.

"Carter, how could you think *that* was a real kiss? *That* was a signal, a damn fine idea if I do say so myself"

Her saw her emotions fly swiftly across her face, and he saw the tear trickle from her eye and down her cheek. Jack also felt the tangible stiffening of the four men stood around them. Enough, she didn't deserve this.

So wiping the tear gently from her face and lifting her chin again with his forefinger and putting on a mask of sham realisation, he finished what had been started a long time ago.

"Oh, that's right! You don't remember. So of course, you can't know the difference between a signal and a real kiss. I do though… *this* is a real kiss sweetheart"

With that he took her lips in a violently passionate assault that bore no resemblance to the first.

As adeptly as he had the first time in the control room, he dipped her low an deep, feeling for the second time awareness strike her and arms tighten around his neck as she moaned low into his throat. This time there was no sudden flash of light to bring either of them out of the exquisite sensations rolling over and between them and this time they *both* would remember.

It was a good few minutes later, after the exchange of smiles and hand shakes that *someone* figured that it may be wise to bring certain people back to reality a little.

"Colonel, would you please put my daughter down? There are some things a father should not see!"

The sound of that voice yanked Sam out of the sensuous onslaught. Pulling herself out of Jacks arms and away from his lips, she turned crimson as she turned to face her father, her General and her friends. Ok, now it was time for the recriminations for her actions. Jack on the other hand seemed ridiculously relaxed, adamantly refusing to remove his arm from around her shoulder or his hand from her ribcage.

Fuelled by panic and a brain that had over thought this situation, Sam kicked into "babblemode" and took a deep breath as she began.

"Dad, General… please, I know this is against regs and I know it's not very professional, but for once I don't care. I love him and so I am hereby resigning my commission and requesting a civilian attachment to SG1. Daniel has one so I think I could too. I know I have disappointed you both but…"

Jack smiled broadly and tightened his grip on her shoulders; he loved to listen to her babble, to talk so fast that her mouth could only just keep up with her words. He especially loved her babble, when that babble contained the phrase "I love him"

But it was General Hammond's turn to speak.

"Major Carter! If you would listen to me for a moment"

Sam quieted immediately, aware of her outburst and aware of the tightening arm around her, a gesture that gave her strength and hope.

"Sam, why do you think I have been getting so many headaches recently?"

At his Major's nonplussed look, he continued.

"It has something to do with arguing with several military hard asses about certain regulations, and how to, shall we say "bend" them, in regards to two of my officers. Put it this way Major, Colonel… be happy and worry not"

Again it was Jack who seemed to be able to keep up with the turns of the conversation far more expertly than Sam was as he spoke.

"Thank you General, Jacob"

"Call me Dad" Jack's smile could have lit up half the country.

"Yes Sir… Dad"

A tactful cough alerted Jack.

"And thank you Daniel, Teal'c. Now there is only one question left to be asked, well two actually…"

Turning back to Sam, who was now in a firm state of shock as reality dawned, Jack took her hand in his as he spoke words he had never thought possible, especially with her father and their CO watching.

"Sam, do you love me?"

The uncharacteristic hesitation and vulnerability in his tone melted Sam's heart and if possible she fell in love with him even more. So looking deep into his eyes she told him the truth.

"Yes"

"Good, then would you consider marrying me? Seeing as how I have to call Dad "Dad" and I wouldn't want you to accuse me of taking advantage of you again, so I figure I should make you an honest woman…"

His words where abruptly silenced by a light-hearted punch in the stomach, delivered by a lady with a smile to melt ice. She knew he had forgiven her earlier and she knew that she had to take a risk for her to get what she wanted. But that risk had just paid off… big time.

So matching his sarcasm she answered using his latest catch phrase.

"D'oh!"

She felt rather than saw his smile as his lips touched hers once more taking her to another place, a place where they could conveniently forget their audience.

Pulling away from him for a moment, she looked into his passion- darkened eyes and into his soul.

"I love you Jack"

Without giving him time to answer she found his lips again. She knew he loved her so much, he must do. To leave it at a kiss in those loops… he must love her so damned much.

Silently, their smiling audience dissipated with Daniel attempting to explain to Teal'c the theory behind a "high-five"



The End. Feedback would be lovely :)

Opportunities Taken: Copyright: Lindsay Allen, January 2001