samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: scorkill@earthlink.net

Category: Sam & Jack, Established relationship

Status: Complete

Season/Sequel info: Third Season

Spoilers: Rules of Engagement

Archive: Heliopolis, SJA

Feedback: Cheerfully accepted.

Author's notes: One more offering in my attempt to put a 'ship' spin on a non-shippy episode.

Copyright © M. Susan Corkill, June 2001.


RULES OF RELATIONSHIP



He stood; waiting with uncharacteristic patience, on the ridge that over looked the encampment on one side, the Stargate on the other. A bluish-gray haze hung over the valley in which the encampment sat, a silent testimony to the battle that had recently been fought, the setting sun turning the clouds deep magenta, purple, and pink. The American flag still hung, limply, from the flagpole. The familiar smell of spent ammunition, explosives and staff-weapon fire surrounded him. Blinking against the irritants in the air, he went to wipe at his eyes, but then thought better of it as he remembered his face was still painted with camouflage.

He heard Carter approach, her voice muted as she talked into the radio. She came and stood next to him, looking towards the valley for a moment before speaking. "General Hammond is sending the medical and clean-up teams through, sir," she reported in her usual efficient manner. "Major Kovacek's team should be here any minute."

"Right," he murmured, not taking his eyes off the encampment. Clean up, another military euphemism for dealing with the latest casualties of their war with Apophis.

"Kovacek will make sure they all get returned to their home worlds."

He turned his head and looked at his Major, as she too surveyed the site of their recent battle. She looked tired, her face smudged with dirt, the came stick she had applied so carefully, streaked and smudged. "I know, Major." Hammond had agreed that the 'recruits' would be returned to their home worlds. That is, if they knew the location of their home world. O'Neill turned his gaze back to the valley. Daniel and Teal'c were staying, to help in de-programming the young men, and in hopes of helping them identify their home worlds. The dead would be buried, the injured attended to, and the rest, well he hoped they'd be given back the lives that had been taken from them when Apophis had ruthlessly conscripted them into his service.

A hand gently touched his arm, "Sir."

He drew his gaze away from the encampment as he realized Major Kovacek and the rest of SG-9 had joined them.

"Colonel O'Neill." Kovacek saluted.

O'Neill nodded, "Kovacek, glad you could make it."

"We'll take over from here, sir." At O'Neill's nod of confirmation, Kovacek gestured for his team to continue. "The General's waiting for you," he added as he followed after his team.

O'Neill turned his back to the valley and looked towards the Stargate, he could just see the event horizon glimmering as the last of the teams and equipment came through. He glanced at Sam, waiting patiently at his side. "You heard the man, the General awaits." He gestured for her to precede him, and taking his cue, she started slowly down the trail to the Stargate.