samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: "When life throws you a lemon, make lemonade." Well, I think I've squashed and squished and twisted the rumours and fears as much as I can to make something I think I could possibly stomach as the end of the show (even though it'll never happen – but that's what dreams and an active imagination are for!) Besides, this is just the *first* of my twisted attempts at writing this storyline – there will be another, hopefully more believable, version..

DEDICATION: Little Miss – I am *so* not as evil as you, and I won't be the only traitor to the cause after tomorrow, hun! ;) Lynn - thanks for your suggestions and support :) Lena – you rock!


It started as just another ordinary day at the SGC. After two hours of slaving over paperwork and fighting the temptation to play with the Nintendo Game Boy he had hidden in the top drawer of his desk, Colonel Jack O'Neill decided he deserved a break. Whistling to himself, he
strolled through the hallways of the SGC, falling silent as he reached his destination.

He stood in the doorway for a few moments, just smiling to himself, deciding to make his presence known when the object of his scrutiny dropped something and growled at it in frustration. " Hey Carter. What ya doin'?"

Looking up, Major Samantha Carter appeared startled by the sound of his voice, flushing with embarrassment when his grin told her he'd been there for a while and witnessed her losing her temper with the doohickey she was working on. Taking advantage of the distraction, she moved the object aside and looked up at him as he moved closer. " Do you really want to know, Sir, or are you just making conversation?"

" You know me so well." He grinned and dragged a stool over to her, sitting down and staring at the discarded equipment, wondering if he should have any idea what it was. " So, anything going on that I should know about?"

Shaking her head at the question, knowing he wasn't interested in knowing what she was working on, she answered with an enquiry of her own. " I find it hard to believe you've got through that mountain of paperwork you were complaining about having to do already."

" I don't complain!" Jack protested. " I was merely.. stating the unfairness of it all," he finished with a smug smile.

" Right. Well." Rolling her eyes, Sam picked up the tweezers she'd been using to try and connect two small components. " SG-1 don't go on a mission until you're done. General Hammond was very specific.."

" Would it be so bad if we had a few weeks of downtime?" His question took her by surprise and she put the tweezers down again, staring at him quizzically. " You'd enjoy playing around in here, Daniel's happy translating and stuff, Teal'c's visiting his kid.. What's it matter if I
don't finish anytime soon?"

" You're not getting bored?" Giving him a concerned look, she turned to face him, aware of their close proximity when she did so. " I would've thought you'd be the first to want to do something."

" Maybe." Jack shrugged. " Maybe not." He saw the flash of confusion cross her face and sighed heavily, wondering how he could get her to understand when he didn’t even understand how he was feeling himself. In recent weeks, he'd felt.. dissatisfied with his life, feeling like he was wasting some golden opportunity he couldn't quite put his finger on. " Don't you ever want to.. I don't know.. take a step back from it all, put your feet up.. Go sit by a lake and catch some rays.. "

" And fish in a lake that has no actual fish?" She added with a small smile, remembering Teal'c's complaints on returning back to the SGC. It had been the first time she'd heard a Jaffa complain and she was sure she'd never forget it.

Jack grinned at her. " Yes! Exactly.. Well, not *exactly* but almost.." He amended, his face losing its grin. " We're getting there," he murmured, mostly to himself.

" Getting where?" Sam was both amused and ill at ease at his nervousness. It was rare to see the Colonel squirm quite so much.. but at the same time, it was disconcerting.

Standing up, Jack started pacing. " Don't you ever.. just want a normal life? You know, the cool house, the two kids, the white picket fence and a dog..?" He stopped pacing and gestured to her with a hand, a sparkle of mischief in his eyes before it was taken over by seriousness. " You're a woman – that's not in question – but have you ever wanted those things, Carter?"

" Sure. Almost every time I close my eyes since I was about ten years old." She smiled depreciatively at the surprise that registered on his face. " But then I wake up and open my eyes and reality sets in." Taking a deep breath, she exhaled in a heavily sigh. " To have those things, I'd have to give up the SGC.. and until the threat of the Goa'uld is gone, I don't know if I could do that. I couldn't relax in a normal life. Besides, the whole mother-responsibility-thing scares me half-to-death."

He joined her sitting down once again, her admission taking him by surprise. " I don't know why.." He murmured in a soft tone. " You'll be a great Mom someday.."

Red lights flashed and loud klaxons blared. A voice came over the speakers in the hallways and labs and offices. Saved from having to think of a response, Sam got to her feet. " Saved by the bell," she muttered as she followed him out of the lab, smiling to herself when she found him waiting for her to catch up in the hallway.

" Come on, Carter. Let's go and see which one of our friendly neighbours it is now."

~*~

They arrived in the control room together, joining General Hammond at the window as quickly as they could. The room was buzzing with activity, and armed guards and SF's were gathered in the Gateroom, waiting for the incoming traveller to show up.

" General. Problems?" Jack alerted their CO to their presence, biting back a smile when the General jumped at the sound of his voice so close.

" I hope not, Colonel. Major." General Hammond answered, nodding a greeting to Sam as he noticed her. " Any codes coming through?" He asked the technician who was currently on duty.

" Yes, Sir. We're receiving a signal." The young woman stared at the monitor as the code was processed and recognised. " It's the signal we gave the Edoran's, Sir."

" Open the Iris," General Hammond ordered. He turned to Jack, waiting for the younger man to leave. " Colonel, after you." Jack was unresponsive, staring out of the window down at the ramp. Frowning, General Hammond moved to see what was causing the Colonel to stand there in a state of shock, his eyes widening when he saw a woman standing on the ramp, clutching a child to her that could be no more than two years old. " Colonel?"

The sound of the General's voice snapped Jack out of his trance. He darted a quick glance to where Sam was, his stomach churning at the neutral expression her features had adopted. " I.. Okay." Nodding to the General, he marched out of the control room, barely aware of General's order to the SF's to stand down. His attention focused on the woman standing there, he nodded politely. " Laira."

" Jack." Laira smiled widely as the child in her arms started to fuss and wriggle, wanting to be let down. Tightening her grip on the child, Laira gave Jack another broad smile. " Jack, this is Isabelle. Your daughter."

Silence filled the Gateroom. It was so quiet; you could have heard a pin drop as the event horizon behind her disengaged. A dozen or so eyes flickered up to the control room window and the spot where Major Carter had been standing, none of them surprised to find the spot now vacant.

Jack swallowed convulsively and looked at the baby girl, who smiled at him with big blue eyes, blond curls surrounding her face. Swallowing again, he reached out and took Isabelle in his arms when Laira held her out, his daughter settling against him as soon as she was in his arms. Closing his eyes, he stood there, holding her, forgetting about the woman who had brought her, falling in love with the precious bundle who slept in the safety of his embrace.

~*~

The base was still buzzing hours later. Rumours and gossip were rife, the grapevine was more active than ever. Colonel O'Neill hadn't left Isabelle, the mysterious child, since she'd arrived, and Laira had made it clear she didn't want to be separated – from Isabelle or Colonel O'Neill, no one knew. Major Carter, it was rumoured, had holed herself up in her lab and
was refusing to see anyone. That rumour wasn't true – Sam was sat in Doctor Daniel Jackson's office, discussing the consequences Laira and Isabelle's arrival would have on the future of SG-1.

" Well, the paternity tests have come back positive. Colonel O'Neill is undoubtedly the father of that little girl." Doctor Janet Fraiser told General Hammond and Jack as they stood in her office after prying the Colonel away from his daughter. Janet had been surprised, understandably, when she'd lay eyes on Isabelle but she couldn't help feeling there was something off.. Now she knew Jack was definitely the father, she could keep her suspicions from moving to other.. areas. Still, she chose to remain silent, knowing it wasn't her place.

Sighing when Jack made no response, General Hammond turned to Janet, a look of slight hopefulness in his eyes. " Any chance the tests are wrong, Doctor?"

" No, Sir," Janet answered apologetically, knowing he was worried about losing one of his best officers. " It's 99.9% accurate. Isabelle is Colonel O'Neill's daughter."

He couldn't help being a little disappointed with the results but tried to hide it, deciding Jack would need his support, not his remorse. " Colonel. Congratulations are in order."

" Er. Yeah.. I guess," Jack shifted uncomfortably, unable to take it all in, his mind a confusing whirlpool of thoughts about his daughter, his team, his life.. " Can I be excused, General?"

" Of course, Son." The General watched as Jack left the office, closing the door behind him, no doubt heading to his daughter's side. General Hammond heard Janet sigh heavily and turned to her, concern in his eyes. " Doctor.."

" Sir?" Schooling her features into an expectant expression, Janet waited.

Keeping his voice low, General Hammond asked the question that foremost on his mind." Does Major Carter know the news? And Doctor Jackson?" He added, seemingly as an afterthought.

" No, Sir." Janet sighed heavily and shook her head. " She hasn't been to see me all day so I don’t think she does."

" Then I suggest you tell her.. them.. before someone else does." It wasn't an order, even though he said it brusquely before leaving her alone in her office. It was a suggestion from someone concerned about the well being of those under his command; someone who knew everything was about to change.

" Yes, Sir." Sighing again as the door closed behind him, Janet squared her shoulders and tried to prepare herself for breaking the news to the two members of SG-1 who were currently on base. How, though, was she supposed to tell them their worst fears had been confirmed and that their
team leader, their friend, was most likely going to leave them?

~*~

Knocking on the door to Daniel's office, Janet put her head around it and smiled at Daniel and Sam, hoping she wasn't intruding. " Can I come in?"

" Sure, Janet." Daniel got up and opened the door fully for her. " We were just talking.."

" About the situation," Sam finished as Janet took a seat next to her. Daniel took his seat again and Janet cleared her throat, unable to meet their gazes.

" I'm sorry but I'm about to make it a lot worse on you guys," she murmured apologetically.
" The results of the paternity tests came back."

Sighing, Sam caught Janet's attention, her hands clenched at her sides. " Colonel O'Neill is the father, isn't he?"

Taking Sam's hand, Janet squeezed it. " Yes, I'm sorry."

" Don't be." Sam straightened her back and forced a smile. " He'll be a good father. I'm sure he's very happy with the news."

Daniel, however, wasn't afraid to show how he really felt. " Is there any..?"

" No, I'm sorry, Daniel," Janet cut him off with another apologetic smile, wishing she didn't have to be the one to tell them. " The DNA tests are some of the most accurate tests there are.. And the Colonel's DNA matched Isabelle's with 99.9 %. There's no way someone else could have fathered that child."

Shaking his head, Daniel ran a hand through his hair, not waiting to believe it. " Has he said anything, about what he plans to do?"

" He hasn't said much of anything to anyone," Janet admitted softly. " No one other than Isabelle. She's really taken to him, it's like she knew he was her father. They've been practically inseparable.. Even Laira doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in, she's just tagging along because she doesn't know what else to do."

" He won't be happy being a token father," Sam stated with certainty. " He's going to leave to be with her, isn't he?"

" He'll leave to be with Isabelle," Daniel corrected, his heart going out to her no matter how tough and unaffected she tried to be. " Not Laira."

" Laira's her mother," Sam dismissed his trying to set her at ease. " She'll be there." Taking a deep breath, she unclenched her fists. " It's what's best for Isabelle. That's the important thing." She got to her feet and breathed out slowly. " I've got some work to do so I'll see you guys later."

" Bye, Sam." Daniel watched with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach as Sam walked determinedly to the door, her back ramrod straight.

" Bye." Janet waited until the door closed before saying what was on her mind. " She's not taking this well, is she?"

" She's.. She's trying to," Daniel defended her with a sigh. " It's the military thing.. She doesn't feel like she can let how she feels show."

Rolling her eyes, Janet leaned into her chair. " Typical military," she muttered, mainly to herself. " I get the feeling she'll try and be happy for him.. and she'll pretend to be. But it's going to be hard on her if he does end up leaving."

" You think he will leave?" He didn't sound like he wanted the answer. She lifted her head and smiled sadly, wanting to give him the answer he wanted, but knowing she couldn't unless she was willing to lie.

" Seeing how attached he is to that little girl.." She paused and bit her lip. " Yeah, I think so."

Daniel studied her intently, seeing something indefinable flicker in her hazel eyes. " Is there something else, Janet?"

She sighed heavily and shrugged. " I don't know." She admitted. " Some things about all of this.. they just don't sit well with me. There's Isabelle's colouring; she's blond haired and blue eyed but her parents are both brown eyed and brown haired.. It could be explained by a recessive gene in both parents, that would explain that.. I think it's strange Laira waited so long in coming here. Plus the fact that from what I've seen, Isabelle doesn't seem quite so fond of her mother as she is of Colonel O'Neill. They're awkward around each other.. From what I heard, Laira is a great Mom to her son. Wouldn't you think she'd have the same sort of
connection to her daughter?"

" Maybe." Daniel shrugged. " Isabelle might be a typical Daddy's girl. That would explain it."

" Maybe." Janet agreed with him, but couldn't silence the nagging doubt inside her. Shaking herself mentally, she ordered herself to stop thinking about it, reasoning that it was just wishful thinking. She stayed in Daniel's company for a few minutes more, both promising to be there for both of their friends through this time of change, both hoping that it wasn't the end of SG-1.

~*~


In the VIP room that was a temporary home to Laira and Isabelle, the small child fussed and whimpered. Laira paced the floor of the room anxiously, making no move to comfort the child, her actions agitated. Jack had left her ten minutes ago and he had promised he wouldn’t be long. When the door opened, she almost pounced on him, relief spreading across her face.

" Jack!" She restrained herself and settled for smiling demurely. " You have returned."

" Yeah." He didn't look happy, but she wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing for her. He walked over to the still fussing Isabelle, grinning to himself with the little girl lifted her arms to him. Picking her up, he cradled her securely against him. He kissed her
forehead and smiled when she responded with a toothless grin. " How's Daddy's little Angel, hmm?"

" She has been restless since you left," Laira supplied, quelling the jealousy she felt on seeing him lavish so much attention on Isabelle, wanting some of that for herself. Saddling up beside him, she smiled sweetly. " Have you received the information you needed?"

Jack sighed and nodded, kissing Isabelle's forehead again. " Yeah, I have. We need to talk about what we’re going to do, Laira." He moved away from her and sat down on the bed as Isabelle clung to him and played with the buttons of his clothes.

" What do you mean?" Laira remained standing, sensing that he wanted space between them. She wouldn't rush him. She would give him time. It had worked the first time they'd been together; she was certain it would work this time, too.

" Isabelle.." Jack hesitated and took a deep breath, tearing his eyes from his daughter. " She needs both of her parents, Laira. We need to make a decision on where we're going to life, where we're going to raise her.."

" Oh, Jack!" She gave him a delighted smile, her face lighting up. " You wish to return to Edora with us?"

" Actually.. I was thinking we could stay here," Jack suggested timidly, hating the idea of leaving Earth so much his stomach burned. " You and Isabelle could get a place near me.. Or you could move in. There's plenty of room; Isabelle could have her own room and you could decorate one of the spare rooms however you wanted it so you'd feel at home.."

Laira got the meaning of his words loud and clear. " You do not wish to lie with me again, do you?"

Uncomfortable, he lowered his eyes back to the child in his arms. " I'm sorry, Laira, but I can't do that. I want to be a good father to Isabelle but I.. We wouldn't work. It wouldn't be fair to you to pretend.. to act like I have those kind of feelings for you when I don't."

" There is someone else," she stated coolly. She waited, her heart pounding, for him to deny it but the denial never came. Jack remained silent, his eyes lowered guiltily. Pacing the room, Laira couldn't stop her mind from conjuring the image of a blond Major, knowing that if there
was any threat to her dreams of having Jack with her once again, it would come in the form of Major Carter. Telling herself mentally that it would be too dangerous to stay on Earth, Laira shook her head. " I would not feel comfortable living on your planet, Jack. My home is on Edora. You are most welcome to visit Isabelle anytime you please but I cannot live here."

" No." The determination in his tone took her by surprise. " I won't be a part-time father. I'll come to Edora with you." He gazed lovingly at Isabelle. " She isn't growing up without me there to protect her."

Laira smiled broadly at his vow, turning away from him so she wouldn't see. She told herself that time away would help him forget Earth and all of the people there. Time had proved to be very useful to her when he had been stranded on her planet, it would prove just as useful this time. The more time he spent with her and his daughter, the closer they would get. The closer they got, the less time he would have to think about home and all he was missing.

Closing his eyes, Jack clung to Isabelle almost as desperately as she clung to him. He vowed to himself that he would be the best father he could be but he promised himself he would never forget where his true home was and the people he loved there. No matter how much alcohol he drank, he wouldn't make the same mistakes again.

~*~

Upon hearing the news Jack was due to leave with Laira and Isabelle the following day – their departure so sudden because Laira wanted to return home – the remaining members of SG-1 got together with Janet to give him a farewell party. The small group gathered at the Colonel's house, with Laira and Isabelle, but no one was in the mood to party. Teal'c was missing and they felt his absence, despite the fact he would have said very little. It didn't seem fair to Daniel or to Sam that the other member of SG-1 wouldn't get the chance to say goodbye to their Commanding Officer.

Halfway through the party, the strained atmosphere proved too much for Laira. Janet and Sam spoke in quiet voices at the other end of the room since Isabelle was asleep in a crib in the corner and Jack and Daniel sat playing a game they said was called 'chess'. She felt as though they were ignoring her, knowing they were all made uncomfortable by her presence.

" If you'll excuse me, my visit to your planet has proved tiring," she apologised as she got to her feet, drawing their attention to her. " Isabelle has prevented me from sleeping well since I.. since she was born. Those sleepless nights have caught up with me."

" I can give you something to help you sleep if you'd like?" Janet suggested, trying to be kind to the other woman. It wasn't fair to simply dislike her just because she was responsible for taking Colonel O'Neill away from them, and Janet and Sam had both tried to make an effort to make Laira feel comfortable.. It wasn't easy, though, when it obviously wasn't their attention the woman was after.

" Thank you, Doctor Fraiser," Laira smiled gratefully. " I would appreciate your assistance." Since Isabelle had arrived, Laira had got very little sleep, the young child constantly demanding the attention of someone who wasn't there to give it. " Jack, where may I sleep?"

Jack frowned to himself as he noticed Laira paid no attention to Isabelle; she didn't even check the toddler was okay or kiss her goodnight. The lack of motherly affection didn't go unnoticed by the others, but out of respect to Jack and the child he was so obviously smitten with, no one said anything. " There's a spare room at the top of the stairs to the left. Doc Fraiser knows where it is." He was oblivious to the flash of disappointment that flared in Laira's eyes before she left the room with Janet, too busy trying to tell himself the relief in Sam's face had been a figment of his imagination, wishful thinking and nothing more. " I'm going to get another drink."

Daniel watched him leave and saw Sam lower her head into her hands and massage her temples. " I'll go after him." He murmured, sensing she wanted and needed some time to herself.

" Guess it's just you and me, kid," Sam murmured to Isabelle as the young girl started to whimper. For the first time, she gazed down at the child and picked her up when she began fussing, taking her into her arms and holding her close. " Wow. You're certainly beautiful," she told the smiling girl quietly. " I can see why your father's so taken with you." Isabelle giggled and cuddled into her, seemingly at home in her arms. The action caused tears to spring to Sam's eyes as she hugged the baby closer, oblivious to the witness in the doorway.

Jack watched her for a few minutes, swallowing hard. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, heading back into the kitchen, trying to get the image out of his mind, telling himself it just wasn't meant to be.

~*~

" Does she want anything?" Daniel's voice shook him from his reverie as he stood motionless in front of the closed door to the fridge. " Jack?"

He blinked suddenly, wondering who wanted what. " What?"

" Sam," Daniel clarified. " Does she want anything to drink?" He looked to Jack for an answer, sighing when all Jack did was look back blackly at him. " You went to ask her if she wants anything to drink, didn't you?"

" Oh, yeah." Jack remembered and nodded. There was a pause as he realised Daniel was waiting for another answer. " I didn't ask her. She was busy."

Daniel frowned. The only thing he could see Sam doing was talking to Janet and as far as he knew, Janet hadn't come back downstairs from seeing to Laira. " Doing what?" Once again receiving no answer, he looked up from making his cup of coffee with an exasperated sigh. " What was she doing, Jack?"

" Oh. Sorry." Jack flashed him a quick grin, having been lost in his thoughts once more. " Ah.. Isabelle woke up. Carter was getting her back to sleep. I didn't want to interrupt."

Nodding, apparently satisfied with the answer, Daniel continued waiting for the kettle to boil. " You didn't tell her, did you?"

" Tell her what?" The frown on his face told Daniel he was as oblivious as he sounded.

" What we were talking about last week. At the poker game. After she left? You said you weren't sure if you were happy with things as they are.. You said you might leave the SGC.. Any of this ringing a bell? Teal'c asked if it was to do with Sam, you said you wanted the chance to find out.."

" Oh, that." Jack cut him off with a vague nod. " I started, before Laira came through. It doesn't matter anymore."

Jack busied himself with getting a beer out of the fridge and rummaging around in the drawer to find the bottle opener. " You're hurting her by leaving," Daniel informed him. " I'd say that means it still matters." Frustrated at the lack of response, Daniel slammed his hand down on the bench. " Do you have to leave so soon? Teal'c doesn't know what's going on, he hasn't had the chance to say goodbye.."

" I'll come back and visit," Jack protested lamely.

" Will you come alone or will you bring the wife with you?" Daniel asked snidely.

Almost spitting out the mouthful of beer he'd taken, Jack arched an eyebrow. " The wife?"

" Laira," Daniel supplied bluntly. " That is the role she's taking in your life, isn't it?"

" No!" Jack was vehement. " God, no! I've already made it clear, I'm going for Isabelle's sake. There's nothing between Laira and me."

" You have a daughter," Daniel sighed. " Sometimes that's enough to make two people think they're in love."

Frowning, Jack put the bottle down on the bench, squaring off with Daniel. " That's stupid! Where'd you hear that?"

His answer was one word. " Sam."

" Sam?" Jack blinked.

" Yeah, you know Sam. The woman you're leaving behind." Turning his back on him, Daniel poured the hot water into his cup. " Again."

" There is *nothing* between Laira and me," Jack repeated slowly.

Casting a knowing look at him, Daniel smiled slightly. " She doesn't know that."

Once again, Jack found himself confused. " Who?"

" Laira.. Sam.. Both of them." Stopping what he was doing, Daniel gave Jack a speculative look. " Are you going to tell her? Sam, I mean."

" Tell her what?"

Daniel couldn't be sure if Jack was honestly lost or if he was just playing dumb. He suspected – and hoped - it was the latter. " How you feel, that you're going for Isabelle's sake and nothing else.."

" There's no point, Daniel," Jack protested half-heartedly, taking another long drink from his beer. " It'll only make it worse."

" For you or for Sam?" Was the instant challenge he received.

Shooting the archaeologist a warning glare, Jack arched an eyebrow. " Daniel.."

" Don't you think you owe her the truth? Before you walk out of her life for good?"

'For good.' The words struck a cord in Jack. He swallowed and put his beer down, stalking out of the kitchen as he realised this might be his last chance. If he left for Edora without telling her, he'd never know if she felt the same. He knew she returned his feelings to a certain degree.. but she had no idea if she was aware of the depths of his feelings for her.
Then again.. Would it be fair on her to say something like that and leave? With him out of the picture, she had the chance to find someone new.. To move on with her life.. Could he take that away from her?

Entering the living room, Jack was surprised to find only Isabelle, fast asleep in her crib. There was no sign of Sam.

" She's gone outside for some fresh air," Janet answered as she stepped in from the hallway, having passed Sam on her way downstairs. " On the roof."

" Thanks, Doc." He threw her a quick grin before leaving the way she'd come.

Janet watched him go, amused by his speed. " You're welcome."

~*~

She was where Janet had said she'd be. Jack watched her for a few minutes, smiling at the way she had her face tipped up to the stars, her eyes half-closed as the cool night breeze washed over her. " Nice night out."

Jumping at the sound of his voice, she opened her eyes and turned towards him, unsure whether to smile or glare. " Sir. You scared me."

" Sorry, Carter.. Sam," he corrected his apology with a bashful grin, making no move to join her at the railing. " And it's Jack now."

" I guess so." Her smile faded as her eyes narrowed. Casting him a sidelong glance, she tilted her head to the side. " You okay, S-Jack?"

" Fine." Slowly, he walked over and stood beside her. " Why'd you ask?"

" You don't look as thrilled as I'd thought you'd be on learning you have a daughter," Sam explained softly. " I thought it's what you wanted." She remembered their conversation in her lab just before Laira had arrived to change their lives. It didn't seem like it had taken place yesterday; it seemed as though a lifetime had passed in just twenty-four hours.

" It is. In a way." He didn't sound so sure.

Sam stared at him for a few moments, trying to discern what was wrong. She knew he wasn't overtly enthusiastic at the prospect of leaving but she knew how much affection he'd always shown children in general and didn't doubt for one moment that the thought of having another child was never far from his mind. Maybe it was the location he wasn't too fond of. Edora,
after all, was a long way from Minnesota. " But not quite the cabin by the lake with no fish and a dog?"

" Exactly," he rewarded her with a small smile, hoping she understood as much as he thought she did. Remembering Daniel's words, he tried to think of something to say, the words proving difficult to find. " You know, Sam.. This isn't.. I didn't plan this.."

Misunderstanding him, Sam frowned. " No one would've planned this.. It's a big surprise.."

" No, I meant I didn't.. Laira getting pregnant.." Jack tried to make it clearer stumbling over his words. " It was once, one night. To be honest, I don't really remember much of it, I was so drunk.."

" Good stuff on Edora?" The weak joke was her attempt at changing the subject and lightening the mood. The last thing she wanted to hear about was what happened on Edora, the mental images she already had of his time there jumping unbidden to the forefront of her mind after months of being pushed away.

" Very.. potent.." Jack murmured, continuing the change in conversation. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, and he knew talking about Edora was high up there on his list of topics to avoid.

" You'll have to send some through." She finished lamely. There was a pause as they both stared out at the stars, searching their minds for something to say, wanting an excuse to stay outside for just a little bit longer. Sighing, she turned to him with sorrowful eyes and a brave but
forced smile. " You'll be sorely missed around the SGC, Sir. It won't be the same without you."

" Yeah, I'll be missed like a sore toe," he scoffed quietly. Seeing the first signs of a genuine smile play on her lips, he found the courage to ask the question he needed to know the answer to. " Will you miss me?

Her smiling growing just a tiny bit, Sam nodded. " Sure. Who's going to bug me when I'm trying to get some work done?"

" I'll put a word in with Simmons, I'm sure he wouldn’t mind the job.." Jack teased with a wink.

" Now would that be the Lieutenant Simmons or the Colonel Simmons because I don't think the Colonel.."

" Lieutenant, obviously!" He gave her a mock shudder, looking appalled that she'd even consider he'd get Colonel Simmons to do such an 'important' job. Her smile faded and he felt the grin on his lips follow it. " Seriously.. You'll miss me?"

" Of course I will." The teasing and joking was gone, replaced by honestly and truth and the knowledge that this was as close to what they wanted to say as they were going to get.

Forcing a smile, he hesitantly put his hand over hers where it rested on the thin, wooden railing. " Then I feel better." She smiled a little at the familiar phrase but the corners of her mouth soon drooped. " You know, I don't want to have to.."

" You have a gorgeous daughter who needs you in her life. I have every confidence you'll be a wonderful father to her," she cut him off, pulling her hand away, not wanting to hear it, unable to hear it. Straightening, she leaned up to place a chaste kiss on his cheek. " Goodbye, Colonel. It was an honour." Stepping away from him, he thought he saw her wipe hurriedly at her cheek but the light was too dim for him to know for certain. " Take care of yourself and Isabelle. She's lucky to have you."

She was walking away from him, prepared to leave his life for good. He knew that. Something inside him tightened at the thought but he pushed it aside. " Sam?"

" Yes?" She stopped walking but didn't turn around.

" If things were different.." The longing was there, in his voice, if she only allowed herself to hear it..

" I know, Sir. Me too." Her voice strained, she didn't wait for him to say anything else. She kept on walking and disappeared into the house. A few minutes later, he heard the gentle click of the front door and footsteps on the gravel below. The engine in her car started and she pulled away, her eyes averted so she didn't see him standing there, watching her leave.

He stood outside until long after the car was out of sight, trying to get himself to believe he would see her again. In the end, he gave up. It was the beginning of his life with Isabelle, which meant it was the end of his life on Earth with Daniel, Teal'c.. and Carter.

Sighing heavily, his throat tight and sore, Jack stepped away from the balcony and moved into the house, ignoring the dull ache in his chest.

" Goodbye, Sam."

" Come on, Isabelle," Janet murmured, trying to get the child to settle down. After saying goodbye to Sam at the door, she'd come back into the living room to find Daniel trying to soothe Isabelle, who had woken up and was obviously very distressed. Taking over from the archaeologist hadn't helped at all as the young girl continued to fuss and squirm in her arms,
her face scrunched up in displeasure.

" What's up?" Jack came back into the room, his face pale, and took one glance at his daughter, immediately on his knees beside Janet when he saw her state.

Isabelle raised her chubby arms to him when she saw him. " Dada!"

" Hey Belle," he smiled down on her as he took her in his arms, relieving Janet of her duties. " What's wrong, munchkin?"

Isabelle looked around, her big blue eyes searching for something, her bottle lip quivering when she couldn't see it. " Mama?" She asked questioningly, shifting in his arms, trying to climb up his chest.

" No, Honey. Mommy's sleeping right now." Jack tried to soothe her but the child was determined, her sights set on something behind him.

She struggled in his arms, clumsily pointing to a picture as she tried insistently and stubbornly to retrieve it even though it was well out of her reach on the mantle place behind Jack. Curious, Janet stood and reached for it, handing it to Isabelle as the child smiled and cooed affectionately, holding the photograph with both hands.

" Mama."

In a matter of moments, Isabelle fell asleep, clutching the photograph to her. Daniel and Jack traded bemused glances at the thought of her falling asleep with a photograph of SG-1, taken several months ago as the team's official photograph.

Janet frowned, her mind whirling. The girl asked for her mother but was easily contented grasping a picture of her father? There was something wrong with that, something that made her suspicions come back full force.. Something she couldn't ignore.

~*~

The day for saying goodbye came too soon. Before they knew it, the night was over. Jack, Laira and Isabelle arrived at the base together but Laira claimed to be tired so she remained in the VIP quarters General Hammond had assigned her rather than going with Jack and Isabelle to his quarters so he could make sure he'd packed everything he needed.

Janet had been at the SGC since the early hours of the morning, unable to get her mind to slow down and rest, sleep proving impossible to find. She was leaning over the results of her tests, still trying to get them to register in her mind, when Daniel knocked on the door to her office.

" You wanted to see me, Janet?"

" I need you to look at something." She motioned him into the office and closed the door behind him. Confused at her behaviour, Daniel just stood in the centre of her office as she handed him some papers.

He glanced down at them and then back up at her. " What am I looking at?"

" A DNA test." Janet let out the breath she'd been holding and took another in its place. " You see how similar the DNA on the right is to the one on the left?"

" Yeah." Daniel nodded and pointed at the area underneath the results where it explained the tests findings. " It says right here there's a 99.9% probability of parentage. Are these Jack's test results?"

" No." Janet took another deep breath and braced herself. " The DNA on the right is Isabelle's, the DNA on the left is none other than Major Samantha Carter."

In an action that would have been comical under different circumstances, she was as he did a double take, glancing between the papers in his hand and the person who had given them to him. " What?"

" I had my suspicions.. The colouring for one. I know a recessive gene in both Laira and Colonel O'Neill could explain it but that somehow didn't sit right with me. And something in the way Laira was uncomfortable holding Isabelle struck me as odd," Janet explained, uncomfortable at having to justify herself but certain that once Colonel O'Neill and General Hammond, not to mention Sam, found out, she'd have a harder job explaining it to them than she would to Daniel. She was hoping she'd get the archaeologist on her side so he could back her up when it came to telling the others. " Then, last night, seeing Isabelle ask for her mother and then fall asleep with a picture of SG-1 that had Sam in it started me thinking. I don't know how it's possible but I ran the tests using the information I have on the computer on Sam with the DNA information I gathered from Isabelle yesterday. Sam is Isabelle's mother. I don't know
how but that's what the test shows."

" And it's accurate?" Hope and confusion were just two of the emotions building up inside him as he stared at the proof in his hand. If what Janet was saying was true.. Maybe Jack didn’t have to leave after all.

" As accurate as it can be." Janet nodded, stopping when he opened the door to her office and made to leave. " Daniel.. Where are you going with that?"

" There's someone who needs to see it!" Daniel called back over his shoulder, grinning inanely. He wasn't going to pretend he understood what it meant or how it happened, but he wasn't about to waste a moment's time thinking about it when he could be showing it to Jack.

Closing the door to her office behind him, Janet sat down at her desk and shook her head. The sooner they had answers and explanations from Laira, the less confusing it was all hopefully going to be.

~*~

Without even knocking, Daniel barged into Jack's quarters on base, his face flushed red, his breathing coming out in uneven pants.

Looking up quizzically, Jack greeted him with his usual sarcasm. " Hey Daniel, feel free to just come in." Seeing the seriousness in Daniel's eyes just before he archaeologist glared at him, Jack straightened from stooping to tickle Isabelle's stomach. " What's wrong?"

" Stop packing," Daniel ordered, trying to catch his breath, chiding himself for being so impatient and taking the stairs. A few extra seconds to wait for the elevator wouldn't have hurt anything – in fact, it would have probably saved him from getting the stitch in his side.

" Nice try, but I leave in two hours." Turning his back on Daniel, Jack gave Isabelle a brief smile as she started pulling the clothes out of his carefully packed bag. " No, Belle. Leave Daddy's things there, he'll need them when we get home.."

" No, you don't.," Daniel objected, managing to calm his breathing. " Not unless you want to be raising your daughter with the wrong woman."

" What are you talking about, Danny?" Jack didn't look up, too busy trying to pack and prevent his daughter from unpacking – something she appeared determined about. " Belle's gonna be with her Mom and me. She'll be raised with her parents, just like a kid should be."

" Laira isn't Isabelle's Mom," Daniel blurted out, thrusting the piece of paper with the test results at Jack when the startled Colonel turned round. " Look at this."

Taking the paper, Jack glanced at it and arched an eyebrow, confused as to why he'd been given something he'd already studied in great detail. " What is it? These are the results of my paternity test."

" No, they're not. Janet ran another test," Daniel informed him hurriedly, his eyes alight. " This is the result of *Sam's* DNA test. She's Isabelle's Mom."

There was a long pause as Jack stared blankly at the paper and then at Daniel. His eyes narrowed and his anger rose. For one split second he might have entertained the idea but.. it was impossible! " Is this some kind of sick joke? Carter can't be Belle's Mom! Laira gave birth to her, she was born of Edora, Carter and I have never been *that* close.."

" I know that but somehow, Sam *is* Isabelle's mother!" Daniel continued excitedly, his enthusiasm evident as he bounced up and down on the soles of his feet. " Don't you want to ask Laira about it? Ask her how her daughter isn't actually her daughter? Don't you think it's weird Isabelle asking for her Mom and falling asleep with a picture of Sam in her hands? Don't you want to know the truth before you leave?"

" Daniel.." He started to say something but stopped. The thought struck him for the first time – just why had Laira waited so long in telling him he was a father? Looking down on the innocent face that beamed up at him, Jack shook his head and headed for the door. " You've just got yourself the job of babysitter."

" Ah.." Daniel watched him go, his mouth dropping open. He glanced back at Isabelle when she giggled and started messily repacking her father's clothes into the bag and closed his mouth with an audible snap. " Okay. I can do this."

~*~

" Laira, we need to talk." Just like Daniel had done, Jack stormed into the room without knocking or announcing his presence in any other way. He paced the room as Laira pushed herself up from the bed, her expression one of puzzlement and concern.

" Is something wrong, Jack?" She stood and walked over to his side, laying a gentle hand on his arm.

Shaking her hand away, he put as much distance between them as he could, needing his own space. " Why did it take you so long to tell me about Isabelle?"

" I needed time.." Laira frowned, wondering why he wanted to know. " She's my daughter."

" So you say.. " Jack sighed as he thought of the papers he had crumpled in his hand, thinking of what they said. " Why did you wait to tell me I had a daughter?"

"She is still a child, Jack. I did not wait so long.." She smiled up at him and took a step closer, stopping when he shook his head.

" She's almost two years old." He responded as calmly as he could. " You would've had plenty of opportunities to tell me."

Laira's brow furrowed as she searched her mind for a reason. " I needed time to bond with my daughter," was all she came up with.

The reply was met by a snort of derision. " Well you couldn't have bonded with her all that well if Isabelle recognises Major Carter as her mother!" He watched her face carefully, wanting to see her reaction. He saw the horror and realisation dawn in her eyes and knew the results he held in his hand were the truth. " For once, tell me the truth. Be honest with me." He silenced the denials and protests he knew were coming by angrily pushing the results into her hand. " That's a DNA test. It proves Carter is Belle's biological mother. Now I want to know where Isabelle came from and how you got her?"

Laira's shoulders slumped in defeat. She sat down on the bed and hung her head. " I was walking through the forest with Payan. We decided to explore a few days ago to see if we could expand our village. We stumbled upon what seemed to be a window into another world. Isabelle was brought through by Doctor Jackson. He said he was from something he referred to as an 'alternate reality'. He asked if I knew you and I said yes. He gave me Isabelle and told me her parents were dead and asked me to bring her to you as soon as I could."

" He didn't ask you to pretend to be her mother, though." Jack interjected gruffly.

"I intended to bring her to you sooner but seeing the child reminded me of the time we had spent together.. The timing was right, she could have been ours.." She looked up, her eyes brimming with tears. " I am sorry, Jack, but I grew desperate. I wanted you in my life.. I *still* want you in my life. Please," she begged. " Leave with me and Isabelle. We can raise her as our own.."

" I think you should go home, Laira. Alone," he added in a steel-like voice. " My daughter stays here with me and her mother." He turned his back on her and left, unwilling to be in her presence any longer than he had to, both disgusted and hurt at her betrayal. " Just as her parents intended."

Marching down the hallway, Jack didn't look back. Laira collected the few things she had brought with her and asked the officer on duty outside of her room if he would take her to the Stargate.

She wanted to go home.

~*~

Two minutes after the Stargate disengaged, there was a knock on the door to General Hammond's office. Crossing his hands together on the desk in front of him, the General knew who it would be.

" Jack. Come in." He waited until the Colonel had entered the room and closed the door, watching as Jack took the seat he usually sat in. " I trust you're here to explain why Laira jut left without you or her daughter?"

" Isabelle isn't Laira's daughter," Jack informed him gruffly, his fists clenched at his sides.

General Hammond, for his part, only blinked in surprise. " Excuse me?"

" To make a long story short, Laira admitted Isabelle is from an alternate reality," Jack sighed in resignation as he answered. " She brought through a Quantum Mirror found on Edora by another Daniel who told Laira to bring Belle to me and, presumably, Major Carter."

" I'm going to take a wild guess – you and Major Carter were her parents in that reality?" Somehow, the General didn't find that piece of news surprising. Once he got over Isabelle being from an alternate reality in the first place, the rest would just slide into place. Or at least, that's what he hoped.

" Yes, Sir. Doctor Fraiser's tests prove it. Biologically, Isabelle is my daughter but she's also Carter's." Jack squirmed uncomfortably, not ready to let his mind wander on that particular topic just yet. " That explains why last night, she identified Carter as being her mother."

Nodding, the General paid no attention to his discomfort. " And her parents in that reality..?"

" Dead, apparently." The Colonel shrugged, assuming that he could at least trust that part of what Laira had told him. " That's why she was brought here. She probably doesn't even know the difference, she's too young to realise what's going on." He felt a little disappointed that he hadn't played a part in Isabelle's conception, but he was relieved as well. Mainly, though, he was just saddened at the thought of the girl being orphaned – and nervous at what that meant for him and Sam.

" Does this mean you're staying, Colonel?" General Hammond was hopeful. He hadn't been happy with the idea of Jack living off-world but he had a feeling there was something else on Jack's mind as the younger man seemed uncomfortable at the question.

" I'm staying on Earth, yes Sir." Jack seemed to hesitate. " But if I'm allowed, I'll only stay at the SGC with minimal duties. Carter deserves to be CO of SG-1 after she's promoted, just like we discussed. I don't mind being an advisor or even having to do some paperwork.. but I'd like to be able to spend some time with my daughter. " He paused nervously, glancing down at his hands rather than having to look at the General. " And her mother."

For a few long moments, nothing was said. General Hammond sighed and nodded, accepting his decision even though he wasn't happy with it. " Very well. I'll transfer you from SG-1 and assign you some general advisory or clerical duties with the occasional field assignment. Most of then not, I'll foresee you're missions will be mainly with SG-1.. I assume you won't find it a problem to take orders from Major Carter once in a while?" A ghost of a smile played on the General's lips as Jack looked up in surprise.

" No, Sir. Thank you." Jack stood and started to leave.

" Jack?" Picking up one of the files on his desk, General Hammond browsed through it casually.

" Yes?" Stopping, Jack cast a glance at the General.

" It's good to have you back, Son." He meant it. No matter how much of a headache dealing with Jack O'Neill had given him over the years, he didn't think the SGC would be quite the same without him. He knew some of the people wouldn't, himself included.

" It's good to be back, Sir." Giving the General one of his trademark grins, Jack casually sauntered from the office, repeating the sentiment in his head as he made his way to find his daughter. He might not have helped bring her into the world but he was still her father, biologically and otherwise. With time, he hoped to reunite her with her mother, too.

~*~

Much expecting to walk in on Isabelle fussing with his friends trying to calm her, Jack was pleasantly surprised to find his daughter was giggling and laughing as both Daniel and Janet played with her.

" Hey." Grinning at the surprised – and slightly embarrassed – expressions on Daniel and Janet's faces, Jack moved over to the bed where his daughter sat, ruffling her hair affectionately as she giggled at him. " No giggling," he told her softly, his grin growing when his warning went unheeded. In fact, it just seemed to make Isabelle giggle more.

" Colonel." Janet blushed as she stepped away from the bed, straightening her uniform.

" Jack! How'd it go?" Daniel jumped off the other side of the bed, grinning as Jack leaned down to kiss Isabelle's forehead.

" Laira's gone." He effortlessly lifted Isabelle into his arms, keeping her close as she buried her head into the crook of his neck, the strands of silky blond hair tickling his skin. " It's time to go and see Mommy now, isn't it, Angel?"

" Ah, Sir?" Janet stopped him from leaving by laying a timid hand on his arm. " Sam isn't at home anymore."

He slowly turned back to face her, almost afraid of finding out what she meant by that. Sam had left..? Before she knew Isabelle was as much hers as she was his? Frowning, he took a small step closer, mindful of the child in his arms so keeping his voice quiet, hoping to keep his alarm at bay. " What do you mean? Where is she?"

" She's taken a few days off.." Janet explained softly, recalling the conversation she'd had with Sam over the phone that morning. She'd been tempted to tell Sam of her plans to do a second paternity test. Now, as she stood gazing at the Colonel and Isabelle, she wished she had. " She said she wanted to sort some things out in her head.."

" Do you know where she's gone?" Containing his panic, he shifted Isabelle in his arms, receiving a quiet grunt for his efforts at getting her comfortable from the girl in question.

Janet gave him a small smile. " Yeah. Somewhere in California. I have the address and phone number somewhere.." Her voice trailed off as he grinned at her hopefully.

" Can you get it for me? In the next.." Pausing to glance at his watch, Jack did a mental calculation on how much time he'd need. " Ten minutes?"

" Yes, Sir. I'll call Cassandra and have her read it over the phone." At his nod of thanks, Janet excused herself and went to make the phone call. Jack hesitated for a second, opening his mouth as if to say something but changed his mind, turning on his heel with Isabelle still in his arms and walking out of the room.

Daniel ran after him, confusion furrowing his brow. " Jack, what are you going to do?"

" I'm going to get Belle here ready," Jack called back over his shoulder, heading to his office. " We're going on a little trip."

And hopefully, they'd be coming back with the person who was still missing from the picture.

~*~

Isabelle surprised Jack by being well behaved on the flight from Colorado to Los Angeles. He was expecting her to find the journey long and stifling but instead she seemed to enjoy it. The flight attendants showered her with attention and in typical O'Neill fashion, Isabelle adored it.

After leaving the airport, Jack gave the taxi driver the address Janet had given him, hoping he wouldn't be asked for directions. All he managed to get out of Janet was the address, a phone number and the knowledge he was looking for a house on the beach. Sitting back with Isabelle leaning into his lap, Jack hoped he was doing the right thing by breaking the news to Sam so far away from the SGC an their friends.

" This is the place." The cab driver whistled. " Nice."

" Yeah." Jack struggled to get out, carefully balancing Isabelle and their bags, reminding himself he would have to get Sam to take him shopping to buy Isabelle some clothes. " Thanks." He passed the driver some money through the window and waited until the taxi was out of sight before making his way up the steps to the house. He sidestepped a loose floorboard and, shaking his head, he knocked on the door.

There was no answer.

Sighing, Jack set the bags down, trusting they'd be safe left on the front porch since there wasn't another house around for at least a mile either way down the stretch of coast. Clutching Isabelle to him, he walked around the other side of the house. " Lets see if Mom's anywhere around here."

The door to the back of the house was open. Jack paused on the threshold, casting a glance over the view from the back porch, inhaling the salty fresh air that came with being so close to the sea. Sliding the door open a little further, he carried Isabelle into the house, admiring the
comfortable atmosphere of the house as he moved around.

He was in the living room when he heard someone in the kitchen. Back-tracking the way he'd come, he grinned on seeing no other than Sam Carter, dressed in only jeans that had been cut into shorts and one of those little tank tops he was so fond of seeing her in. 'Sweet', he
thought, watching her pull a bottle of mineral water from the fridge.

" Nice place you have here, Carter." He grinned as she jumped, taken by surprise at the sound of his voice. " So you weren't gonna stick around to say goodbye?" He drawled casually, as she continued to stare at him in shock.

" We already did that," Sam murmured in answer to his question. " What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be..? Laira.."

" One thing at a time," he grinned. " Have you got somewhere I can put Belle down? She's out like a light and I don't want us to wake her up until you've heard me out."

Still in shock, Sam nodded slowly. " There's.. ah.. There's a nursery-type-room upstairs." Placing the bottle of water back in the fridge, she left him from the room, her mind struggling to catch up with the rest of her as they walked up the stairs. " It's just through here."

Opening the door for him, Sam led him to a small, cream-coloured room with a big window that overlooked the bay. There was a rocking chair and a crib on once side, a bed and another chair on the other. In between them, there was a single chest of drawers and a light blue rug.

" Nice room." Jack commented as he gently lay Isabelle down. " Looks well prepared.. Is there something I should know?" Was there the chance she'd been seeing someone and..?

" Oh!" Sam shook her head and blushed, leading him from the room once they were both sure Isabelle was comfortable. " This summerhouse belonged to my parents. I was pretty much raised here since it was the only stable home I had when I was younger.. We moved around a lot.. The nursery's been here since I was born, my Mom refused to change anything about it so I didn't
think it was right to once Dad gave the house to me."

" Sweet." Quietly, they walked downstairs and settled themselves in the living room. Jack looked back the way they'd come, a flash of concern crossing over his face. " If she cries, can we hear her from here..?"

Smiling, Sam passed him a baby monitor. " The mobile has the other monitor built into it. I thought you'd panic so I brought it downstairs."

" Thanks." He took it off her and set it on the table between them. " So why'd you come here? It was a little sudden, wasn't it?"

She gave him a quick shrug and leaned back against the couch. " The place needs renovating. I've been putting it off.. Figured now was as good a time as any to get started on it." She curled up and gave him a quizzical look. " So, why are you here with Isabelle instead of on Edora with Laira?"

" Straight to the heart of the matter as usual, Carter?" Jack grinned as he mimicked her and leaned back in his chair, fidgeting nervously with the cushion. " There's no easy way of saying this," he started when she just looked at him in a way that told him to answer the question. " Laira isn't Isabelle's mother. Belle was given to Laira by no other than Doctor Daniel Jackson, from another reality. Apparently there's one of those mirror-thingy's on Edora that Laira and Payan found when they were walking around."

" If Laira isn't Isabelle's Mom, why did she say she was?" Tilting her head at an angle so she could study his expression better, Sam waited for him to finish explaining.

Sighing, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. " You are. Doc ran another DNA test and proved it. I confronted Laira and she admitted the truth. Belle's parents in her reality died, the other Daniel told Laira to bring her to us. Laira was using Belle to get me to go back to Edora with her. Thankfully, Doc and Daniel found out the truth before I did."

" Why.. Ah. Why would Janet run a DNA test on me if Laira hadn't said anything..?" Sam frowned. She was Isabelle's mother? The information refused to sink in. First she'd been startled to find the Colonel and his daughter in her kitchen when she'd thought them to be on another planet, and now she was being told Isabelle was actually *their* daughter.. It was too much to take in.

" After you left last night, Belle started asking for her Mom. She stopped asking when Doc gave her the photo she was trying to get. A photo of SG-1, obviously with you in it." Jack shrugged and opened his eyes, leaning forward in concern at the pallor of her face. " Carter? You okay?"

" No." She shook her head, closing her eyes briefly. " How can I be okay? You're telling me Isabelle is biologically my daughter.."

" She's as much yours as she is mine, yeah." Getting up, he moved to sit beside her, dithering between taking her hand and leaving it alone. Eventually, he settled for resting his hand just beside hers, close enough to touch but not quite. " We're the closest Isabelle has to parents, and it's obvious she have some memories of you being her Mom.."

Shaking her head again, Sam curled further up into herself. " I don't know anything about being a mother. She deserves better.. Are you sure her parents in that reality are dead? Laira could have been lying about that, too.."

" You're grasping at straws," he chided her softly. " But I'm willing to believe that they're dead, yeah. Why else would that Daniel bring Belle through here for us?"

" For you," she corrected, pushing herself up off the couch, pacing the floor. " Trust me on this, you'll be a better parent to her by yourself. I know absolutely nothing about looking after a kid so it's really pointless of me to play any part in.."

" No one knows how to be a parent until they are one." Jack silenced her as he stood up and took hold of her arm, mainly to stop her pacing more than anything. Watching her walk backwards and fourth was making him dizzy. " You'll learn. I have a feeling you'll be a fast learner. The
bottom line is," he continued, making her look at him as he tightened his grip on her arm just enough to secure her attention. " Isabelle needs both of her parents. She deserves that. Can you really forget finding out she's your daughter and missing out on helping bring her up?"

" I don't know how to do that," Sam admitted quietly. " I'll end up screwing it up.."

" I find that hard to believe." He grinned and let go of her, sensing that she wouldn't try and get away. " Besides, you've got nothing to worry about. You'll have me there, too."

Still battling the fear she felt at the thought of being responsible for someone other than herself, she sat down again and studied him intently when he joined her on the couch. " Exactly how is that going to work? How do we raise Isabelle together and work together..?"

" All taken care of." Jack grinned. " I've spoken to Hammond already. I'll be working part-time at the base from now on, doing basic advisory and clerical work." He watched her raise an eyebrow at that but she remained silent. " You'll be made CO of SG-1 and occasionally, I might be assigned to work with you on a field mission. When that happens, Belle can stay with Doc or we can find a part-time babysitter or something. We can manage, Sam."

" CO of SG-1?" She stared at him in doubtful surprise. " SG-1 needs a higher ranking officer than just a Major.. General Hammond will get someone else in.."

" No, you're being promoted," he responded calmly, winking at her. " Just act surprised when the big guy tells ya, I told him he could have the honour.."

She stared at him blankly. " Promoted? Me?"

" Lieutenant Colonel Carter sounds cool." Her eyebrows rising even higher, Jack couldn't stop himself from laughing. He became serious, however, when he thought of something else he wanted to suggest to her. " Ah.. You're being promoted is going to change some things.. " Clearing his throat, he twisted to face her, his eyes solemn. " If I'm on a part-time basis and not part of SG-1, and you're promoted to Colonel.. I won't be your CO anymore."

" Oh."

" Is that all you're going to say?" Feeling nervous, Jack started turning away from her, stopping when she put her hand over his. " Carter?"

Smiling a little, she lowered her gaze to their hands. " I thought we'd decided it was Sam and Jack." She glanced up cautiously, her eyes catching his. " So what does this mean? What happens now?"

" We take it slow," he murmured, turning his hand over so he could grasp her fingers. " Belle doesn't need to know there's anything different between us. There's plenty of room in my house, all she needs to know is that her parents are there if she needs them.. It would give us a chance to get to know each other outside of the base. If you want.."

" One day at a time, no pressure on either of us.. And if anyone asks, it's for Isabelle's sake," Sam bargained. " It'll be easier for us if we keep it to ourselves for a while.."

" Away from work, off the base." Jack agreed with a small grin. " So it's decided."

" Yeah." She gave him a wryly smile. " Okay. I think that's my weirdness limit for the day. Besides, it's getting late." She stood up and looked down on him. " You want something to eat or should I just show you to your room?"

" I'll get my bag in from outside and call it a night." He stood up and grinned again. " I don't think I'll be able to look at food without seeing the stuff I was given on the plane on the way over here."

Chuckling, Sam left him to his own devices, going to close the back door and made sure it was locked. She walked through to the hallway to see him closing the front door behind him, his bag in hand.

Silently, he followed her upstairs, both of them smiling at each other shyly when she stopped outside one of the bedrooms. " You can stay in here.. It's one of the few rooms that doesn't need redecorating so.." Her voice trailed off as she realised she was babbling. " Well. Goodnight, Si-Jack."

" Night, Sam." She brushed by him only to pause and touch his arm, getting him to face her. " Something wrong..?"

Her only response was to pull his head down to hers and kiss him in a shy, almost timid way. Smiling against her lips, he leaned into return the kiss, fighting back a sigh of disappointment when she pulled away.

" I've always wanted to do that," she confessed as she moved quickly to her room, a rose coloured blush staining her cheeks. " Sweet dreams, Jack." Smiling to herself, she disappeared into her room, closing the door with a gentle click behind her.

Grinning, Jack let himself into his room, telling himself it was going to be okay.

~*~

Three hours later, Isabelle woke up. Disorientated by the unfamiliar surroundings, she started to crying, squirming in the crib as she wailed and waited for a familiar face to come to her rescue.

Sam reached her first, acting on instinct, trying to keep her nerves at bay. Lifting Isabelle into her arms, she sat down in the antique rocking chair her mother had used when nursing her and cradled Isabelle close.

" It's okay, Princess," she murmured soothingly as Isabelle began to calm down, snuggling into her neck. " It's okay now." Isabelle gradually relaxed and was soon sleeping soundly in Sam's arms. Surprising herself, Sam found she was reluctant to let Isabelle – her daughter – go, so she stayed sitting there, holding her close. " I don't know much about being a Mom," she whispered to the sleeping child. " The thought pretty much terrifies me.. But I promise I'll be the best Mom I can. I might not be as good as your real Mom or even Laira, but I'll try my best." She smiled to herself, feeling silly for talking to herself but closed her eyes anyway
and continued. " You have a great father, so hopefully he'll help us both get used to this. Hopefully, he'll teach me how to be the Mom you need me to be and he'll be around to stop me from messing up." She kissed the top of Isabelle's head, her own limbs growing heavy as her body's need for rest caught up with her. " We're lucky to have him, Belle. Neither of us would be here without him."

Amused and touched by her words, Jack watched from the doorway as both mother and daughter slept soundly. Grinning to himself, he quietly fetched one of the blankets from the bed and covered them in it, taking extra care not to wake them. Pulling the other blanket off the bed, he settled himself in the other chair and wrapped it around him.

He fell asleep knowing they were there with him, refusing to think of how it could have been different if the truth hadn't been revealed. In a matter of hours, morning would arrive. With morning, another day would come and with it, the start of something new.

~*~
The End.



End Notes: As said before, this is just one version of events.. The second one is angstier ;)
Thoughts, feelings and anything else welcome and replied to: Joey@Ram32.freeserve.co.uk