samandjack.net

Story Notes: FEEBACK: PleasE? pretty please, you know you want too!


I watch her from a far as she works hard at her desk. Her shoulders are slumped and the fatigue obvious as she slowly rubs the back of her neck. How I wish I could step forth from the darkness and rub it for her. How I wish to take the pain away for her, to wrap her in my arms and to protect her from everything evil in this world.

A phone trills beside her and she ignores it as she bends over her latest mechine; a nucular device that if not expertimented with caution could blow the whole mountain. The phone rings 2 more times before the caller gives up and she lets out a sigh.

Samantha Carter, the source of my dreams and my longing. All I can do is watch her from a distance. Look but not touch. Friends but not lovers.

The room around her grows darker and grows colder as the air condtition kicks up a notch as she handles some very delicate mechinery. One wrong move and it would be over before we have a chance to whisper a prayer. But she remains cool, unnerved, the task seemingly as simple as building lego blocks together. For Major Samantha Carter it just another day in her lab, another mechine, another miricale to sew.

And it goes on unnoticed.

By some. I however see every miricale she does, praise her for her guiness and quietly continue to watch her. She knows I watch her, but she choses to ignore it, choses to live in denial as if she dosn't know what is going on right in front of her.

The phone rings again and this time she puts down her equipment and picks it up with swift motion. I reach out to touch her, only to still my hand and I stand there behind her as she talks to the impacient caller on the phone.

"I'll be home soon. I promise. Just give me a couple of minutes."

She smiles and giggles at something the caller says on the phone. Her hand automaticly begins to trace little patterns on the table top and her shoulders are now released of all tension.

"I'll pick up dinner on the way ok? I'll see you soon. Love you."

She utters two words as if they are the easiest thing to say, as if after years of practise she dosn't think twice before she says it. My heart sinks and she hangs up the phone smiling to herself.

I move in the darkness in her lab and walk to stand beside her. She ignores my presence and I know shes mad at me. Looking at her mechine she sighs and shaking her head she packs up, decinding on going home to the man who anticipated her return.

She picks up her jacket and turns around and looks me dead in the eyes. Her blue eyes shimmer and I can see the disapointment in her eyes and it hurts me physically.

"Leave me alone Martouf. Your dead. I can't bring you back." She says and she turns on her heel and switches off the light in her office. Stopping at the door she keeps her back to me and speaks. "I'm happy, I love him." She says before turning sharply and leaving the office, the door closing behind her.

I stand alone in her office, my head sagging and I feel the pins and needles return to my translucent body. I cross over to her desk and sigh as I sit down ontop of it.

I pick up a fimilar photo frame and finger it lovingly, choosing to ignore the man that is holding my sweet Samantha. He holds her tightly, his eyes sparkling as she kisses him. Behind them people are frozen in movement as they cheer on the newly married couple. The tall cake sitting beside them.

I feel tears well in my throat and I put the frame down sadly.

"I hope you realise how lucky you are, O'Neill." I whisper and the room fades from my view.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DA END!