samandjack.net

Story Notes: In Two Months I - Hi. This story is sort of about, showing Jack’s parent side. And how his relationship with Sam grows. (for him anyway) Sorry that Daniel or Teal’c isn’t mentioned much. Its mostly a Jack and Sam with the help of Janet. Please don’t hate me.


"Wow! This is some scenery!" Exclaimed Daniel who was way too happy to be here.

"Yes Daniel Jackson, I do think that it is beautiful here." Teal’c walked away from the Stargate and looked at the unknown world.

Col. O’Neill just looked around not seeing anything amazing and muttered "Damn trees." Sam just looked over at him and smiled.

"So Daniel, where is this great thing that we just had to come out here to see?"

"It’s up a few miles into the trees, hidden somewhere, we have to look for it. I don’t think that it will be hard to miss though."

"Lead the way!" they all walked into the woods.

"Hey Daniel, this fountain, what’s so great about it?" Jack asked.

"I’m not sure yet but don’t you think that its odd when the MALP read no readings of any life forms on this planet and there is a man-made-looking fountain in the middle of the woods? I think it’s the fountain of youth."

"Oh for crying out loud! I don’t think that this water fountain will make us younger."

"Jack, your forgetting that mostly everything that was a myth or story in Earth was proven to actually have happened or exist. This might actually be the fountain of youth."

"Is that what you said to Hammond? How did you get him to let us come here anyway?" O’Neill retaliated.

"He was happy to give this one to us, he said that we needed a slower pace. Something about needing to keep us alive or something."

"I believe we are here Daniel Jackson." Teal’c pointed to the huge fountain that was running crystal clear water.

"Errrr… looking at that is making me thirsty." Sam opened her water bottle and took a long swig.

"Yeah, I know what you’re talking about." Jack did the same. And looked up at the sky and its twin suns.

Daniel was walking closer to the fountain. Taking pictures, writing things down in his notebook, comparing with the book he had in his hand. After that he walked closer to touch the water. "Danny! I don’t think that you should be doing that." Jack yelled from behind. "Let Carter take a sample and see if its safe or something. You can do that right?" he looked over at Sam.

"Yes Sir, but we have to get to my lab to do that, I don’t have any equipment to analyze with." She looked inside her pack and couldn’t find any thing to put the liquid into. When O’Neill saw this he drank all of his remaining water and handed it to Sam. "Thank you Sir." She gave him a gentle smile.

"You’re welcome." He smiled back. He loves the way she smiles; he loved it more when he made her smile.

"OK! Lets head back."

It was really getting hotter by the minute. And having two suns didn’t help. Sam took her water out and took a drink. While she was gulping down the cool water she remembered something and her eyes got wide.

"Sir?"

"Yeah?"

"Umm… I drank from the wrong bottle." She tried to stay calm but her voice was shaky.

"Are you feeling sick?"

"Actually Sir, no, I don’t think so."

"Hey Danny! Come here!"

"What’s wrong?"

"Sam drank the water by mistake, what do you think will happen?"

"Uh, Teal’c?" He looked over at the Jaffa.

"I do not know."

"Well, it’s water, it might not even be anything. But if I’m right about it being the fountain of youth…"

"I don’t feel anything, maybe we’re over reacting. Maybe it was just water." Sam wasn’t feeling sick, if she felt anything at all, she felt better.

"OK, well let’s get back anyway so we can have the Doc take a look to see for sure." Than he took out a marker and marked the bottle ‘Don’t drink’ on it. They all walked back to the Stargate.

While Sam was walking she noticed that her jacket was huge on her. She couldn’t even see her hands. She ran up to the rest and noticed that her boots were so big that they flopped off of her feet. Moments passed and she was only a toddler. Then she lost all her memories of being an adult.

Baby Sam didn’t know what to do. So she cried.

"What the…" Jack turned around to see where that crying was coming from and saw a little girl, about 3 or 4 standing in a pile of Sam’s clothes and pack crying. She was so cute, with blond hair to her shoulders, and killer blue eyes. "Holy Smokes!"

"Jack… where’s Sam?" Daniel asked carefully.

"It appears to be that this child is Major Carter."

"OK. So what do we do? How do we get her back to her own age?"

"You’re asking me?" Jack asked still looking at the little child calming down now that she has got the attention of the adults. Jack picked her up and put her in Sam’s jacket to cover her up.

"I say let’s take her to Janet." Jack said and walked up to the Stargate. "Dial us home Daniel"

*-*-*-*-*-*

SGC

"Incoming traveler!"

"Who is it?" Hammond asked.

"It’s Sg-1 Sir."

"Open the iris." He then went down to the gate room to greet them back.

Hammond stood in the middle waiting for his team to walk though. And they did. There was Teal’c, Dr. Jackson, and Col. O’Neill holding a small child in his arms wrapped in a jacket with the SGC badge.

"Where Major Carter?" Hammond asked. Slightly pissed.

"Um, Sir, this is Major Carter." Jack didn’t look into his CO’s eyes. For he knew that he wouldn’t believe him.

"Son, Major Carter is a full grown women. This is a child. Care to explain?"

"Um, I think that for now we need to see Janet and you can ask her ‘cause I have no idea."

"Well, that does look like Major Carter as a child. I have seen her sometimes when her mother would come to the base that Jacob and I were stationed at." He motioned his hands so that he can hold her. When he had his hands to her waist pulling her towards him she started to whine and hold tighter onto Jack’s neck.

"NO! I want to be with daddy!" She said in a pout.

"Daddy? Um, help?" Jack didn’t know what to say or how to respond to what little Sam has said. Just then Janet had walked in.

"Janet? You heard that right?" Jack asked her and she nodded.

"I don’t understand. OK, so she’s what 3? 4? How did she get that way?" Janet asked.

"I think it’s from the water." Daniel said. Handing her the water bottle that was labeled ‘Don’t Drink’. "But that doesn’t explain why she thinks Jack is her dad."

"I see, Col. why don’t you take Sam to the infirmary since she wants to be with you and I’ll see to it that this water gets analyzed." They all walked to the infirmary.

"She’s going to need clothes." Daniel mentioned, remembering that they had nothing that would fit a little child.

"First things first, Doctor, have your people check Major Carter over and the water, and the rest of the men get changed and go to the nearest store and buy the necessary things that she may need. After that and you have your findings Doctor, we will debrief." After getting a few ‘yes sir’s’ he left.

"Col. you can put her down in the bed here." Janet patted the bed. He put her down and sat with her next to the bed.

"Daniel you and Teal’c can get the things without me right?" He looked up hoping that he would say yes. He did. The two of them walked out saying goodbye and went to clean up and to the topside.

"Col. can you help me with something?" Jack walked up to her. "What’s up Doc?"

"I’m going to need a blood sample from Sam." He winced. He hated needles.

"Err, Hold on." He ran back to the locker room and found Daniel and Teal’c getting dressed and ready. "Danny, you still have them chocolate bars in your pack?" he knew he had them. Daniel has always hated the MRE’s and so had a bunch of chocolate bars in a ziplock bag in his pack.

"Yeah, why?" he asked handing him a bar.

"Janet needs a blood sample from Sam. Don’t want her to cry."

"Oh, right. Well, I’ll get her some goodies at the store."

"Thanks, bye." Jack ran back to the infirmary. He saw Sam, his Sam sitting on the big bed. She looked so small. Well she was small. She was holding a stuffed dog. What a sight, she sure was a cute kid.

"Hey Sammy guess what I have for you." He opened the chocolate bar and handed it to her. Her eyes got wide and twinkled in bliss. While she was eating, Janet quickly stabbed her arm with the needle, not expecting it Sam cried out in pain.

"Sam, its OK, it’s only going to be for a little bit." Janet reassured her. She nodded and continued to sniffle. When she was done she went to her lab to try to sort this thing out.

After wiping away the tears Sam looked up at Jack "Daddy? When are we going home?"

He froze; he didn’t know what to say. He didn’t even know where ‘home’ was to her. "Uh, honey, were going to stay here for a while. Where daddy works." He smiled.

"OK, is mom here too?"

He forgot that Sam’s mother died. She doesn’t know that yet. "No, it’s going to be just you and me."

Sam took another bite of her candy bar. Her mouth was smeared in dark chocolate. "Lets get you cleaned up, huh?" with that he lift her up and took her to the bathroom and cleaned her up.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Sam and Jack were in his quarters playing with the stuffed dog when he heard ‘Col. O’Neill and Major Carter to the infirmary’ over the PA. He picked her up and went to the infirmary. Daniel, Teal’c, Janet, and Hammond was there.

"What’s up?" Jack asked.

"We got clothes." Daniel said handing him a pile of small kids clothing. "Great" he walked over to one of the beds and put her down. And started to put her in the slightly oversized overalls and a white T-shirt.

Janet handed Hammond a medical file "The blood work shows that this is Major Carter and that she is ‘bout 3 years old. She thinks the way she did at that age."

"That must be why she asked me where her mom was." Jack said quietly putting down Sam on to the floor so that she wouldn’t hear. She was all dressed up and looking up at everyone for she was too short.

Hammond was flipping through the file "Do you know when she will return to her normal age?"

"Yes, the water will ware it self out in a few weeks. Two months at the most." She prepped her self for the ‘what!-s’

Looking down at Sam, Daniel asked "Where is she going to stay? Who knows how to take care of a 3 year old?"

"I suggest that she stays with Sg-1." Janet informed them. "You guys have my number, if you need anything call me and I’ll help you."

"Good, then Sg-1 is on downtime until this matter is solved." With that Hammond left.

"OK, who is going to take her?" Jack asked.

"I share an apartment with Teal’c so I don’t have any room." Daniel gave a guilty look.

"Janet?" Jack was getting worried. He has had a child before but this was Sam. The women that he was secretly in love with.

"I have Cassie, you take her and I’ll help you. You’re on downtime so when I get off I’ll come by or you can drop her off at my place." She shrugged her shoulders. "That’s all I can think of. Anyway Col. you have experience with kids, and she thinks your dad I’m sure it wont be a problem."

"Two months eh? Okay so where do I get kid clothes again?" he raised an eyebrow.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Sears

Jack was holding Sam’s hand and they were walking around sears the kids department.

A woman in her early thirties walked up to them "Is there anything you need help with sir?"

"Yeah, I need shoes for… Er…" he made a face ‘do I say daughter?’ "Samantha here being a growing girl, she needs new shoes, but I don’t know what size she is." ‘Phew’ he thought.

"Sure, right this way." She leaded them to the shoe section and motioned them to sit in the chairs. "Lets see what size you are." With that she took the metal feet-measuring thing and measured Sam’s foot. "OK, what you need will be in this section here." She showed them "Make sure you try them on and that they fit comfortably when she walks. I’ll be right there if you need anymore help."

"Thank you." Jack said and looked at the many little shoes.

"OK Sam, you need sneakers. What color do you want?"

"Blue." She has always like blue.

After they picked out the sneakers and few clothing to last about two months, they paid for the things and went to the food court to eat lunch.

Jack and Sam were sitting at a table eating pizza and potato chips. "You know after we eat were going to meet Janet and Cassie at the park."

"Yay!" She was happy to go to the park. She always loved to run around and play.

"Are you done eating?"

"Yup." She patted her stomach to show that she was all full.

"To the park then!"

They were on their way out when they passed by a pet store. "Daddy! Doggies! Let’s go and see them! Please!" She pulled Jack into the store. "Pick me up. I want to see the doggie"

Jack picked Sam up and they walked across to see a small golden retriever puppy. "Daddy, can we keep her? Please? I always wanted a doggie." Her face was glued to the glass window.

He didn’t know what to say, he wanted Sam to be happy. "Oh, Okay." He was always a sucker for kids.

So now they were walking out of the shopping center with bags of new clothes and a dog.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Park

"Janet!" Jack yelled to get her attention. She was swinging Cassie who was enjoying her self on the swing.

"Hey! You’re late. How was the shopping?" she raised an eyebrow at the sight of the dog.

"It’s a rule remember, every earth kid has to have one." She chuckled at his comment. He had gotten Cassie one too.

They sat at the bench watching Cassie play on the swings with her friends and Sam playing in the sandbox. "So how is she doing?"

"Good, just like family. But I never know what to say when she asks for her mother and brother. I just keep telling her that her brother went away to school and will be back on vacation and her mother is visiting her parents."

"That’s good. I almost believe it. Do you know why she thinks you’re her dad though?"

"Um, I was thinking about that and all I know is that just like I did with Charlie, I’m guessing that Jacob hasn’t been around when Sam was that age that she hasn’t memorized his face yet. And the fact that I was in military clothes." He shrugged. "Maybe I looked slightly like him at this time."

"Yeah, that’s understandable." She glanced over at the park. The Dog was sitting by Sam while she was playing and Cassie has managed to find someone to play with on the swings.

"Why don’t they play together?" Janet said while pointing towards the both of them.

"Age?"

"Do you want me to take Sam for the weekend? I’m off."

"No, that’s OK, we’ll manage. It’s like riding a bike. It all comes back. The only thing is that I can’t cook. Never could, still can’t."

"Hope your not feeding her pizza 24-7"

He chuckled; "Me?" gave an innocent look "Yup"

"Come over for Dinner. Give Sam the nutrition she needs for the week." She smiled.

"Yeah, I will." He looked at his watch. "Hey I should get going. We were walking around the whole day, she needs a nap if we’re going to your house for dinner." He got up and they both walked to the sandbox.

"What a dad."

"Heh, thanks."

"Sam! Time to go. Say bye to Cassie and Janet!" He shouted over the noise of all the children.

"Okay. Bye Cassie."

"Bye"

Sam walked up Jack asking to be picked up. He did and the dog. "Bye Janet. I’ll see you later tonight."

"Yeah."

Jack looked into Sam’s blue eyes, "Say bye sweets."

"Bye"

Janet sighed and watched them walk away to the car. She wondered about the weeks ahead. But she knew that it was going to be fine.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Jack’s House

Jack was filling up the bath tube with warm water. He added in the bubbles that Sam liked and waited till it filled half way. He then picked up an over sized towel and went to ‘Sam’s room’. It was a guest room but it soon filled with toys and little socks on the floor. ‘Got to teach Sam to clean’ he thought.

"Sam? Where are you?"

"Here." She was in her closet.

"What are you doing in there? Isn’t it dark?" Yup it was true Sam hasn’t been afraid of the dark since she was two.

"Cocoa’s in there and she wont come out." She pointed to the puppy that they bought that day.

"That’s okay for now, she’s sleeping. She needs her nap, like you do. The water’s getting cold and you need a bath. You got way too dirty from the park today." He picked her up and stood her on her bed. They still weren’t eye level. ‘She sure was a small kid. She got real tall though’ he thought. He started to remove her clothes and he wrapped her in the towel. "We’ll get her out after your bath okay?"

"Okay"

He carried her to the tub put her and sat there while she played. ‘It’s amazing how kids can have fun doing almost anything.’ He smiled at the thought.

"Are you thinking of mommy? Do you miss her? Can we call her?"

"Err…" ‘Shit’ that’s all that came into mind. "You know grandma’s phone is broke. We’ll mail her later."

"Okay"

"Now, your hair." He grabbed the tears free Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and rubbed it to her golden hair. After washing Sam he drained the water and wrapped her into that towel and lifts her high and ran to her room making plane noises. This caused her to squeal and came a fit of laughter. He put her on top of her bed and opened the closet. Took the dog out and looked at the clothing he had put in earlier. "What to wear to Janet’s…" He mumbled. He took out a pink dress and held it to Sam’s chest.

"No! I don’t want dresses."

‘Oh, OK, no dresses, I should have known.’ He then took out a baby blue T-shirt and jeans.

"Happy?" She nodded.

He helped her into her clothes. Then suddenly "Daddy? Do you like Janet?"

‘What!’ "What do you mean sweets?"

"I’ve never seen her since mommy went away. And now we always see her."

‘Smart kid’ "Sammy, Janet is daddy’s friend. And since mommy is away and daddy can’t cook for his life, we’re going to her house for dinner. And you can play with Cassie there."

"Okay, lets brush that hair, feed Cocoa, and get some good home cooked meal." He brushed her hair while she put on her socks. He put her hair in pig tails and tied it with a blue ribbon. He went to his own room to change out of his wet clothing.

"Did you give your doggy her dinner? You know she is your responsibility."

"Uh-huh."

"Good girl. Later will talk about your room." He grabbed her shoes and sat her on the couch and put them on her.

"What’s wrong with my room?"

"It’s so clean" He joked.

"Ya think?" He was starting to rub on her.

"Okay, Smart ass. Time to go."

"Don’t say bad words daddy."

He groaned. "Right." He grabbed her hand and they went into the car and went to Janet’s.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Janet’s House

"Cassie can you get the door. I think its Uncle Jack and Sam!" She yelled from the kitchen.

"Okay, you know what mom, I think I liked Sam better as an adult. She doesn’t even remember me."

"We’ll talk about that later. Just get the door. And don’t call him Jack in front of Sam, she thinks he’s her dad, Jacob."

Cassie rolled her eyes and opened the door. "Hi… Come in"

They all walked into the kitchen and when Janet saw Sam she couldn’t resist laughing. "Col. did you do her hair?"

"Yeah, what’s wrong with it?" He turned Sam to his direction to view her hair. He thought it was okay. The pigtails were a bit crooked. Well, okay a lot.

"Nothing. Let’s eat. Cassie, want to help me set the table?"

There was a slight whine. "Janet, let me." Jack went for the forks and spoons and winked at Cassie. She then mouthed ‘thank you’

"Janet, what a dinner! That was good."

"Thanks. Cassie way don’t you take Sam to the backyard and play with your dog while Jac… ob and I clean up over here and bring out the ice cream."

"Oh, sure mom. Come on Sam." She helped her down from the chair and walked her out side.

"She sounded almost disappointed to be with Sam alone."

"She is, she doesn’t love the fact that Sam can’t remember her."

"I see." He put the plates into the washer and pressed the button. "She keeps asking for her mom. In the tub today, she asked if we could phone her. I had to tell her that grandma’s phone was broken and that we can write her a letter."

"She thinks she’s still alive. She misses her. Jacob was never around, I know that she likes her dad’s presence but I don’t think that was normal." Janet explained.

"Yeah, smart kid though, she asked me why we see you so often. She said she had never seen you till her mom left. I think she thought I was having an affair."

She chuckled. "What did you say?"

He smiled "That you’re my friend and since mommy is away, and I can’t cook, so if we want to survive, we have to come here."

"Yup. Here, take this." She handed him the chocolate ice cream. They put in scoops and into cups. They both had two cups in each hand and went to the yard.

"Hey! Ice cream!"

The kids dove in and ate while Janet got a camera. "Can’t let Sam not know what was going on." She smirked. After taking pictures that will make Sam glow red for days Jack broke the fun by saying "Bed time, gotta go."

"You’re no fun." Said Cassie.

"Want to stay with us for the night Cass? I don’t think your mom will mind. Janet?"

"That’s okay, Uncle Jacob. I want to stay with my mom."

"Uh, sure… I’ll see you guys sometime. Bye."

After seeing Jack and Sam out she whispered to Jack "I’ll talk to her. Bye"

"Yeah, bye" With that they drove off.

"Cassie, why didn’t you want to go with Uncle Jack?"

"Because, he’s not Jack, he’s JACOB. And I don’t feel comfortable with Sam."

"Why?"

"I don’t know. Just ‘cause"

"Well, okay, wash up before bed. G’nite."

"Nite mom."

*-*-*-*-*-*

Jack’s house

"Getting sleepy yet?" Jack looked at the little girl in pajamas that he tucked into bed a few minutes ago who walked in to the lobby with her dog.

"Nope. Can we watch TV?"

"Hum, for only a bit." He patted the seat by him on the couch. "Sit."

She jumped straight onto his stomach. "Argh! You’re going to kill your old man here."

After laughing and watching a Rugrats Movie video he looked over at the bundle by him. Sound asleep. He carried Sam and the dog to her bed and tucked both of them in and kissed her forehead. He loved having her here but missed Sam. His Sam. He sighed and went back to his couch popped a beer and called Daniel.

"Hey, so what have you been doing these days?"

Daniel over the phone: "Well, since you were taking Sam and had no problems, Hammond put Teal’c and me to another team for a while. So that we won’t be so far behind."

"I see. So having fun without us eh?"

"You should be the one having fun. You get to spend two months off base."

"I guess. OK, so I’ll talk to you later, let you get back to your rocks."

"ARTIFACTS!"

"I know."

He hung up and went upstairs to go to bed. While in the hallway, he glanced at Sam sleeping, arms wrapped around the puppy he had given her. He loved spending time with her. But he really did start to miss his Sam.

He turned off the lights and went to bed. Tomorrow was going to be a whole new day.

*-*-*-*-*-*