samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author’s notes: Merry Christmas to the girls of JCUKjnr. Thanks to Becci for betaing for me and to Kate for the title idea and Ally for her opinion, even though she doesn’t watch StarGate. Feedback is as always welcome.


Sam and Daniel stood next to each other and looked up at the large tree that had just been decorated in Sam’s front room.

Turning around Sam sat down next to Jack on the sofa and let her head drop back against the back of it, Jack handed her a beer which she accepted with a grateful smile “Thanks Sir.”

“It’s looking good, Carter.” Jack turned slightly so that he could look at her.

“Although…” Daniel turned away from the tree and sat down in a chair next to it. “I still don’t get why you wouldn’t let me help decorate it.” Sam and Jack looked at each other in amusement before Jack answered.

“Because Space monkey, knowing your luck, you would have made the damn thing fall over and that would leave pine needles all over Carter’s nice, clean floor.” Scowling at Jack, Daniel stood up and made his way to the kitchen.

“Whatever. I think you just wanted to do it all yourself.”

“Now see? If that were true then I wouldn’t have let Carter near the tree would I?”

“You had to let me near it Sir, it’s mine.”

“Technically true but Daniel’s still wrong.” Jack smirked slightly before turning is head back to the tree. “Are the lights meant to flicker like that?”

“Yep… It would have been nice if Teal’c was here to help put that star on top though.” She took a swig of her beer and sighed as she re played the earlier incident where she had almost ended up on the floor, in the Colonel’s arms, while trying to put the star in place.

“Yeah.” Jack smiled at his Major slightly and was then distracted by Daniel standing up again. “Where you going Danny boy?”

Daniel looked down at Jack and smirked at his eagerness to get him out the door. Tonight Daniel was happy to oblige, he’d told Janet he’d come round and help clean up from Cassies Christmas party. “I’m gonna head over to Janet’s and see how much damage has been done. See you tomorrow,
Jack.”

Sam handed her beer to Jack, and reached out a hand to Daniel who pulled her off of the couch. She walked out into the hall and gave Daniel a slight hug when they reached the door. “Thanks for coming over today, it was fun.” Glancing outside at the snow, she shivered slightly and wrapped her arms around herself.

“No problem, I had fun too. Even if I didn’t get to touch the tree… Now go back inside, it’s cold. I’ll see you tomorrow.” With that he climbed into his car and drove off slowly down the road, trying to avoid the ice.

Sam stood for a moment longer looking at the snow falling onto the ground before heading back inside, shutting the door quietly behind her.

Walking back into the lounge she smiled slightly at the Colonel and sat back down next to him. She gratefully accepted her beer back and took another sip, letting her head drop back against the cushion.

“I should probably get going too Carter. It’s gonna take me a while to get home with that blizzard going on.”

Sam opened her eyes and raised her eyebrow at him. “Blizzard, Sir? Slight exaggeration, don’t you think?”

Grinning, he shook his head at her and stretched slightly.

“You don’t have to go yet, sir. You can have the spare room for the night, if you want it.” She glanced at him with a hopeful look in her eyes. She didn’t want him to leave her alone just yet, it was nice to just sit here and relax, pretend that they could be as much to each other as they wanted to be.

Jack gazed sadly at her as if he could read her mind and thought for a moment. “Sure, Carter. I guess there’s no rush really.” Taking her hand in his, he pulled her against him, so that her back was pressed against his chest, and wrapped one arm around her waist.

Sam closed her eyes and sighed as she felt Jack press a kiss against her forehead. No, there was nothing wrong with pretending for one night.

***