samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: None

Author's Notes: This is my first Stargate fic, so bear with me, please. You could place this after 100 days, but it isn't necessary. It comes from a rotten day I had the other week.

PS: For anyone who knows my Voyager stuff, yes, I've finally figured out how to get an Aussie into the SGC. Who knows, may even be a relative of Tilly's. Stay tuned.

Dedication: For Amanda, who constantly sits through my rotten days with me, and lets me raid her place on a regular basis. I couldn’t ask for a better friend.


Sam had had a really rotten day, They rarely get much worse than this, she thought as shesearched for a parking spot in the local shopping centre. The mission had started off well enough, but had ended up with the team being attacked. Daniel and Teal'c were all right, but Jack had taken a shot in the arm, and Sam had a sprained wrist, from falling into a pile of mud, no less, after the attack had started. Janet had sent her home, sick of her fretting over Jack. She didn't even want to think about what else had gone wrong.

So now she found herself struggling through the crowds, trying to find something halfway edible for dinner. As she walked through the centre, she passed the new age shop. Now there was a thought. Maybe she should buy some oil to help her unwind. Yes, some aromatherapy oil, bubble bath, and relaxing music. That sounded perfect. With the help of the sales assistant, she picked out an oil and candle for her oil burner, then stopped by the chemist to pick up some bubble bath.

Once home, she ran the hot water, filling the tub with bubbles. The soft scent wafted through the air, as if floating with the soft instrumental music. She eased herself into the suds, letting the hot water seep into her tired muscles. She lathered the bubbles over her skin, savouring the sensation. Slowly she felt all the tension of the day slowly float out of her. "Let it go Sam," she whispered softly to herself. "Let it go."

An hour or so later, she was resting comfortably in front of the television, dressed in her 'house' clothes - baggy T-shirt and track pants, when the door bell rang. Sighing, she opened the door.

"Jack!"

He stood in her doorway, looking kind of sheepish with his arm in a sling.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," Sam replied. She was quiet for a minute.

"Can I?"

"Oh, sure, yes. Sorry." Sam stood aside to let him enter. "Want a beer?" she asked, unsure of what exactly to say. She wasn't sure why he was here. As far as she was aware, he should still be at the base, in the infirmary.

"Sure."

"Shouldn't you still be at the base?" she asked, handing him a cold one.

Jack shrugged. "It's not as bad as it looked. In fact, I'm sure it doesn’t need the sling, but you know what Janet can be like."

Sam laughed, holding up her own hand. "Oh yes, do I ever."

They moved to sit down.

"What are you doing here Jack?" Sam finally asked.

Jack took a sip of his beer. "I can't just visit my favourite 2IC?"

"One - I'm your only 2IC. Two - no, you never have before."

Jack suddenly took her bandaged hand. "How is it?" he asked.

Despite the rather obvious change of subject, Sam was touched by his obvious concern.

"It'll be okay in a day or so," she said, trying to dismiss it.

Jack didn't acknowledge her comment. Rather, he removed the brace that held her wrist. Sam didn't move, too stunned at his actions to protest. His fingers gently traced the outline of the blue-black skin. It was as if he believed that by his touch alone, he could make the pain, the swelling and the bruising go away. He turned her hand over, and did the same on the underside. Sam felt herself tingle at the feather light touch. His fingers moved down, tracing through her palm and up her fingers. He then put the brace back on, but Sam could still feel the touch of his fingers burning along her wrist and hand.

"It'll heal nicely," he said.

Sam looked at him in total shock. Her brain couldn't quite function - it was still reeling over what had just taken place.

"Why are you here, Jack?" she asked again, softly.

Jack sighed, and looked away. "It occurred to me that I don't really appreciate you enough, Sam. I take you for granted far too often."

"But that's a good thing, right? I mean, if you had to second guess me all the time, where would we be?"

"Defiantly not on the same team," Jack responded. "But you're missing the point. I shouldn't take you for granted. I just wanted to say thank you. Thanks for understanding what I don't. Thanks for saving my life more times than I can remember. Thanks for . . . "

Sam put a finger to his lips to silence him. "Jack, please," she said, her heat beating fast. "Be honest with me. What do you want?"

"You."

Eyes wide open, Sam withdrew her finger, but Jack caught her hand, and kissed lit lightly.

"Give me a chance Sam?" His heart was in his voice, she could tell.

"Have I ever said no to you, Jack?" Sam replied with a grinned, bending in to kiss him.