samandjack.net

Story Notes: Rating: Maybe PG for 'damn'. Oops, that brought it up, didn't it? :)

Spoilers: Mention of the Tok'ra, but no big.

Season: Let's say Season 4 (and let's also say that 100 Days was a bad dream)

Category: S/J


She's giving me The Smile again. I don't even think she knows that she does it, and that just drives me all the more crazy. Her entire mouth tilts, contorts, her lips part, her eyes twinkle...and she giggles. Dear God she actually giggles. I think sometimes she does it just to torture me, because she can't really think that everything I say is all that damned amusing.

I don't even know how it has this effect on me, except that...well, it's just that she doesn't give anyone *else* that smile. She gives Danny the sweet one I've termed the Brother Smile, and Teal'c gets the one that she usually reserves for kids. General Hammond and Dad both get the Daddy grin, but this one...this one's all mine.

I don't think anyone else's noticed it, though, because I'm sure Danny'd give me hell. He's got this idea in his head that Sam and I're 'destined' for each other or something.

Can you believe it? I mean, of all the crazy ideas...

It's crazy. Right? Oh, but she's still smiling at me...

"So, Major...back in six weeks, right?"

"That's right," she's still smiling, arms crossed over her chest. Our conversation comes to a dead end (way to go, Jack), and I'm stuck just staring at her. See, she's gonna be gone for six weeks on some... 'foreign exchange' kinda deal with the Tok'ra. I'm not...terribly pleased with the idea. But, as she's told me at LEAST a million times this past week, they're our allies and we have to...oh, what's the word she uses? Well, I can't think of it, but suffice to say she's a lot more eloquent than me...or I. Whatever. Anyway, we've gotta play nice, okay?

We're getting some brilliant Tok'ra in exchange, but I'm still not...terribly pleased. I don't like losing my Major for six weeks. She's pleased as punch at the chance to study the Tok'ra up close, and I thought for a second there that Danny was gonna challenge her to a fight for the privilege of going, but...

"Colonel, it's only six weeks."

"You're leaving me here with Danny," I whine, prompting another grin, "He can't play poker to save his life."

"So you'll make up for your losses with me," she taunts, and I frown at her.

"I don't lose."

"You're right," she teases, "you forfeit graciously."

My last 'gracious forfeiture', as I recall, involved a bucket of ice water being dumped on someone's head, but we won't go in to that now.

Everyone else's arriving now, and I step back to allow Danny and Teal'c their good-byes. The smile shifts just slightly, and I find myself grinning in spite of myself. Couldn't let the boys get MY smile, now could we? Somehow that makes me feel better.

It'll be six weeks, I think as the Gate opens and she steps through. Six weeks, but I know That Smile'll be waiting for me when she gets back. I smile as the iris closes again after her, then head for my quarters.

It's gonna be a long six weeks, I can already tell.



The End.