samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: 'Singularity'

CONTENT WARNINGS: (minor) Character death

ARCHIVE: Heliopolis

I'll put a tissue warning in here just in case but I don't think I made it overly depressing.

"Ah mother, what shall comfort thee, in all this boundless misery." ~Emily Bronté


Six a.m.



Jack O'Neill slammed his fist down on the alarm clock with every intention of smashing the clock into as many pieces as possible. His hand came down hard on the clock, the pain the contact caused brought him to his senses and only then did he realise it wasn't his alarm clock that was ringing. It took him a moment longer to remember his clock buzzed rather than rang and the noise was in fact coming from his phone. Fumbling, he somehow managed to find the receiver, "Hello?"

"Hi, Colonel," A familiar voice greeted him.

"For crying out loud, Carter," Jack glanced at the recently abused alarm clock and grunted, "It's six a.m. This had better be an emergency!"

"Kale died early this morning."

"Oh, geez," Jack's tone changed instantly upon hearing Sam's words, "Are you at Janet's?" he asked softly.

"Yea."

"I'll be right there," he promised.



+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +



Jack pulled his car into the driveway to see a solemn Janet waiting for him on the front doorstep. A large sheet of plastic lay on the lawn, near the curb, the shape and size made it painfully obvious what lay hidden underneath. Joining Janet at the step, Jack averted his eyes from the plastic, "How'd it happen?"

Janet stared off out past the front yard, her eyes focused on the road, on anything but the plastic on the lawn, "I have no idea. Kale was a smart dog. She never went near the road." Motioning at the skid marks on the road she added, "I guess the driver didn't see her."

"Didn't they explain what happened?"

Janet narrowed her eyes and looked at Jack, "It was a hit and run, Colonel. They left her there. Perhaps she died instantly and they didn't think it was worth moving her since she was close enough to the curb to not be a hazard." Janet paused and wiped her now wet cheek, "Perhaps they never checked."

Jack lowered his head. He was and had always been a great lover of dogs and her next words ripped his heart apart.

"If she suffered..."

Jack tried to push the thought from his mind, he couldn't comprehend how people could be so heartless.

"How's Cassandra?"

"She was devastated but she's calmed down a little now. Sam's with her at the moment."

Jack nodded. He'd been there. He'd lost a dog, his best friend, in similar circumstances when he'd been younger and he could never forget the pain and loss he'd felt. He still missed that damn dog.

"I can't leave her there any longer," Janet said as she gestured at the body.

"Do you have a spot in the back yard where we can bury her?"

Janet smiled at a memory, "Yes, I have the perfect place."

"Has Cass said goodbye?"

"Many times," Janet told him sadly.

"Alright. I can manage this. Mind grabbing me a shovel?"

Janet nodded and while Jack gently hefted the dog's body into his arms and carried her around to the backyard, Janet retrieved a shovel from the garage.

"Under the big tree in the corner," Janet directed him as she rounded the corner of the house.

"Ah, the dog's favourite tree?" Jack asked as he gently placed the dog on the dew-covered grass and took the shovel from Janet.

Janet pulled a blue squeaky bone-shaped toy from her pocket, "And dog's favourite toy."

"Time to get dog's favourite friend."



+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +



Cassandra sat on Sam's lap in the living room, leaning in close to her body.

"She was my best friend," Cassie whispered, her eyes red from crying.

"I know, Cass. I know."

"It's too quiet in here."

Sam had once owned a dog and she understood Cassie's words only too well. Without the sound of nails clicking on the wooden floors, without the occasional bark or whine, a warm house filled with people could suddenly become cold and empty.

Cassie had lost so much in her short life. Sam could relate to losing a parent and a pet but not to a whole family. Sam admired her courage.

Feeling a presence in the room, Sam looked up to see Jack standing under the door frame. She wondered how long he'd been there.

She smiled an acknowledgment and nudged Cassie gently.

"Hey, Cass. If you feel up to it we're about to say our final good-byes to Kale," the Colonel told her gently.

Cassie nodded sadly and got up off of Sam's lap. The three walked somberly out into the yard to find Daniel and Teal'C standing with Janet.

Cassie glanced down at the fresh mound of dirt, "Did you give her Squeaky?" she asked, using the nick-name they'd given the toy.

Janet and Daniel nodded.

Cassie eyed up the crudely constructed cross that was protruding from the ground in front of her.

"It's only temporary," Jack explained, "Just until you can create something a little more personal."

"It's beautiful," she said and reached over to embrace him in a tight hug, "Thank you."

Jack smiled at her once she'd pulled away. Reaching down, he placed a caring hand on her head and smoothed her bed-hair down. It'd been a rough morning and Cassie was still in her pajama's.

The group fell silent, all lost in their own memories of Kale and of their past pets. Even Teal'C seemed to be elsewhere. Final good-byes were whispered and the group slowly made their way back into the house.

Cassie slipped her hand into Jack's; Jack squeezed it and with his free hand opened the door for her.

"I never thought I could feel this sad again," Cassie told him, referring to the way she'd felt after losing her family.

"You know what helps," Jack began carefully, "Not right now, but in time getting another dog will help ease the pain."

"I don't want another dog!" Cassie exclaimed, "I don't want a replacement. I want Kale."

"I didn't say a replacement. You could never replace Kale. But I promise you that if you give yourself time to grieve and then get a new dog it does help with the emptiness you feel now."

"Like when I lost my parents and Janet took me in," Cassie finally said, "She helped me to stop hurting."

"Exactly," Jack smiled.



+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +



Teal'C and Daniel bid goodbye to their friends and soon after Sam left for the base. Jack stayed at Janet's for the rest of the morning and talked with Cassie about Kale. Janet was relieved to see Cassie laughing at all the mischief Kale used to get up to and joined in with the reminiscing.

"What breed do you think we should get next?" Cassie asked Jack after a while.

Janet smiled brightly at Jack and mouthed 'thank you'. Cassie would never forget Kale and the healing was only beginning but she knew Cassie was going to be alright.



THE END. Feedback: Becc_Carter@yahoo.co.nz



End Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: I picked a random name for Cassie's dog since I don't recall a name ever being mentioned. 'Kale' was one of the graces in Greek and Roman myth. The name means 'beautiful'. ~Becc's disclaimer: No dog's were harmed during the writing of this fic and all animal action was closely monitored.~ Becc's Fic http://www.angelfire.com/ms/msrfanfic/