samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Hundred Days

A/N: I once read that every Sam and Jack fic writer should have a Hundred Days fic in their repertoire, so here it is! It's pretty short and I know we didn't see their relationship take this form until season 4, but hopefully it works. I haven't seen the episode recently, so if it's not how it actually goes - sorry!

Also, this is only my second EVER fic, so I'd love some feedback to help me improve :o)

Enjoy!


Major Samantha Carter felt her heart physically break as the man she had spent three months trying to rescue stepped away from her mid-sentence to speak to Laira. She watched him take her hand and invite her to return to Earth.

She wanted to watch to see what the outcome of the conversation would be, but she couldn't. Partly out of respect for her Commanding Officer and partly from fear that she would break down if Laira accepted. Sam turned away sharply riddled with guilt. She had just wanted to bring him home, if she'd realised it was such a selfish task she may have slept more over the last three months... Or maybe not.

Daniel stiffened and cleared his throat at Sam's side and the tension surrounding them became almost palpable.

Jack rejoined his team, "Let's go home, kids".

Daniel caught Sam's eye and gave her a small smile. This clearly wasn't the reunion they had been expecting.

***

Sam gazed at the screen in front of her but couldn't focus on the words. She knew she was being ridiculous. They were both military professionals, what had she been expecting? Her CO to wait a lifetime for her and declare his undying love? She wasn't going there. The regulations were in place for a reas-

"Carter!" Jack O'Neill strode through her lab door.

Sam lifted her chin to make eye contact with him. "Hi, Sir" she gave him a weak smile, "How are you settling back in?"

"Good... Actually. I'd forgotten how much I love Fruit Loops and a good ol' bottle o' beer... Or two" he admitted.

Sam raised her eyebrows, "Together?"

"Funny" Jack shoved his hands deeper into his pockets and rocked between the balls and the heels of his feet. "Actually, that's kinda why I'm here"

"To get me to try Fruit Loops drowned in beer?"

"Carter..." he warned. He was finding it hard enough to have this conversation.

"Sorry, Sir. Carry on"

Jack puffed out his cheeks "I wanted to thank you"

Sam arched her eyebrows and dropped her gaze to the floor.

"I might not act it, but I am grateful"

"Really?"

"Really... You know..." he leant forward and rested on her bench "They don't have The Simpsons?"

"Really?" She sarcastically replied, smiling, "Well, okay"

They remained quiet for a moment.

"Hey, I hear you didn't exactly take care of yourself whilst I was gone"

"I was fine, Sir" she lied.

Jack eyed her suspiciously. He could always tell when she lied to him; those blue eyes always gave her away.

"Either way, General Hammond has agreed to give us a few days off. So pack up Carter, I want to you off base"

"Let me just finish up a few things" Her smile was broader this time, but he knew it was going to be a while before she beamed at him again.

"Okay, but I don't want you to pull an all-nighter, and that's an order, Major"

"Yes Sir" she agreed.

"Well, I'm going home to put Fruit Loops in a bowl of beer" he said, heading for the door.

"Sir?"

Jack turned back to face her.

"If it's good, I want Patent Pending on it" she continued.

Now it was his turn to smile, "Ya' Sure, you betcha" he called back as he left.