samandjack.net



***
"Punch buggy, no punch backs," Jack said gleefully as he popped Carter in the shoulder as they walked down a street in Colorado Springs.

"Hey!" she complained as she rubbed her shoulder, sending him a look before she quickly began scanning the traffic for her revenge. "Woody wagon, no punch backs," she declared gleefully as she popped him in the shoulder while a wood paneled station wagon drove past.

"Carter! No mixing cars," he complained as he took a moment to rub his own shoulder.

"You never specified that rule when you started this," she told him, arching an eye brow. "Sir," she tacked on at the last minute. The two officers shared a look before pretending to not be looking for the next opportunity to continue to the game.

"What just happened?" Jonas asked Teal'c as they wandered a few steps behind Carter and O'Neill.

"Major Carter and O'Neill are engaging in a traditional Tau'ri children's game," he said calmly as Carter got in another whack while a blue Beetle drove by. Jonas watched the cars pass by before turning to see O'Neill rubbing his shoulder and grumbling about her luck.

"What's the point?" Teal'c arched an eye brow as he thought about his answer.

"As with many Earth customs, I am uncertain." O'Neill got a punch in this time while Carter complained about him being too rough. He told her to suck it up, a large grin on his face.

"Aren't they worried about hurting each other?"

"Apparently not," was all Teal'c could say as they watched Carter really lay one on O'Neill.

"And parents here condone this?"

"It is my understanding that it is often played on long car rides. According to O'Neill, any activity that prevents the children from inquiring if they have arrived at the intended destination is acceptable behaviour." Jonas considered this for a long moment, watching as O'Neill managed to land two more punches on Carter's shoulder.

"How does one win the game?"

"The child that gives up in pain first is generally the looser."

"Odd game," Jonas mussed to himself before he found himself slammed up against a solid wall of Teal'c.

"Major Carter, O'Neill, perhaps we should dine here," he said quickly. The two officers stopped walking and turned to looked at Teal'c and Jonas who were standing in front of a little hole int he wall diner.

"Sure, why not?" O'Neill asked as he and Carter turned and came to join the other members of SG-1.

"I thought we were going to . . ." Jonas started as he followed them in.

"This is a preferred location," Teal'c said quickly, casting one last glance down at the Volvo dealership on the next street. He had no desire to see O'Neill and Major Carter inadvertently injure each other in their attempts to emerge the victor in their game.
**