samandjack.net

Story Notes: Apparenly I wrote this in November 2003 but only by hand and then completely forgot about it. I found it in my attic in 2010 and decided to share it with the world, but am now editing for 2011 because I have finished More Than Mini.


Title: More Than Just

Category: Sam and Jack romance/angst

Spoilers/Season: Set after 7.03 Fragile Balance and a few weeks after the final chapter of More Than Mini. This series of stories now exists in an AU spinning off after Entity.

Rating: PG13

Content Warnings: Sexual situations, bad language.

Summary: After a year of living together, raising their daughter, Sam and Jack have come too close to the imaginary line placed between them and Sam has forced them to back down from it. A lot of others have their own thoughts on the subject matter though. Have they become too distracted and does someone else have plans for them?

Disclaimer: Stargate and SG-1 are the property of Showtime, MGM, Double Secret and Gekko and they do not belong to the author. This piece of fan-fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was exchanged. No copyright infringement was intended and the original characters, situations and plots are property of the author. This piece of fan-fiction must not be archived without the author's consent.

Comments: I, apparently, wrote this in November 2003 but only by hand and then completely forgot about it. I found it a few months ago in my attic and decided to share it with the world, but I have re-written it for first posting in 2010 and am now editing for 2011 because I have finished More Than Mini.

Copyright © Elise November 2003
Edited and Published September 2010
Re-edited and Re-published 2011.

More Than Just

“I’m so bored!” Colonel Jack O’Neill complained. “These missions are not my idea of fun.”

Major Samantha Carter smiled at her commanding officer while Daniel rolled his eyes. “Come on, Jack. This is so amazing,” Daniel argued. “Discovering artefacts and uncovering a planet’s history.”

It was Jack’s turn to roll his eyes. “Whatever turns you on, Daniel.” The colonel turned to Teal’c. “T, you’re with Daniel. Carter, if it’s alright with you, we’re just gonna sit here and hopefully not die of boredom.”

Sam nodded with a smile on her face. Sometimes she forgot that things were so different now to what she was so accustomed even though she rarely ever went off-world with the original SG-1 line up anymore. She had perfected the switching of roles from commander of SG-1 to subordinate to Jack. Sometimes Sam thought it was just like the old days, until someone mentioned something.

“At least Nicola gets excited by my artefacts,” Daniel muttered as he walked off in the direction of the ruins. Teal’c followed silently behind him.

Sam sat down on the grass with a slightly glum look on her face. Jack sat down opposite her on a boulder. He knew that she had issues concerning Nicola. He knew her well enough by now after countless years serving as her C.O and, for the past year, living with her. They were living together with their eighteen month old daughter and working together on very few missions. Their arrangement had not been easy at first, but they had soon adjusted. At work they were Colonel and Major, some time team-mates and military officers, and at home they were Jack and Sam, friends and mother and father to Daniella. A little over a year ago, Jack had discovered that he was Daniella’s father and he had told Sam that they could not be together romantically for their careers and the sake of their daughter. General Hammond had only allowed Sam to re-join SG-1 once he was one hundred per cent sure that no regulations had ever been broken. They had both lied and informed Hammond that Daniella’s conception had occurred just before he had left for Edora, and just after he had retired. Hammond had then demanded proof that their living and having a child together would not interfere with the SGC.

Unfortunately, despite Hammond’s faith in his team, pressure from above had caused him to ensure that both Sam and Jack rarely went off world as members of SG-1 together. There were still occasions where it happened, usually because of a military need or Sam’s particular background. Then there were situations like the particular one they were in where Lieutenant Carpenter was on leave for a personal matter and Sam had been asked to join SG-1 with Jack for a few days. Nothing had seriously affected their working partnership and neither had noticed any differences when in the workplace. There had been problems at home on occasion. In fact, ever since Christmas, the imaginary line they had placed between them had been crossed on at least two occasions. It had been Sam that that had re-drawn the line, citing the regulations as a cause. Ever since then, Jack would not describe it as hostile at home, but they did avoid each other when alone. Deep down, Jack was not happy with the situation, but he understood and respected Sam’s decisions on the matter, just as he had always.

“You okay?” Jack asked as he fiddled with the sunglasses in his hands.

“Yes, Sir,” she replied quietly.

“Come on, Carter, you can’t fool me.”

After a thoughtful pause, Sam responded. “Do you like Carpenter, Sir?”

Jack paused in thought wondering what she wanted to hear. No, he did not like her and that Sam was a better officer? Did she want an ego boost? Or did she want the truth? It was like when a woman asked if her bum looked big in something. He opted for the latter because there had been enough lies between them in the past to last a lifetime. “She’s a good officer.”

“Don’t turn into a diplomat on me now, Sir,” Sam smiled. At work, both off planet and on base, Sam called him ‘Colonel’ or ‘sir’, but thankfully at home she called him ‘Jack’. It did lead to sometimes feeling like she had a split personality, especially when work and family mingled together. A few weeks earlier, Loki had created a clone of Jack in their home and whilst Sam had been working during the course of events, she had called her CO ‘Jack’ seeing as he had kidnapped their daughter.

Jack shrugged his shoulders. “She’s a bit too scientific for me,” he admitted. “She agrees and goes along with Danny a bit too often. She is good at her job though. She follows my orders and doesn’t often question them. She’s never said ‘no, sir’ to me.” He grinned at Sam and she smiled at their shared memory.

“That’s why you prefer her, Colonel, she doesn’t argue with you.”

“I never said I preferred her, Carter. I don’t always like the fact she doesn’t argue. At least with you, Danny and T, I know you’re going to pick me up on a bad decision. She’s likely to just go along with me and that isn’t good. She doesn’t spend much downtime with us either,” he complained. He had always socialised with officers stationed with him and he felt that it was good for morale and team building. He felt that it was especially important in a facility like Stargate Command.

“That’s because she spends all of her down time with Daniel or cataloguing artefacts.” It was one of the unifying features of all SG-1 personnel – their ability to work constantly.

“And,” Jack said with a dramatic flair, “She just doesn’t get my humour.” And then quietly he added, “She never smiles like you do.”

Sam smiled slightly, looking down at the floor and hiding it from Jack. She was pleased that they could still talk as they always had, maybe even slightly better than before. “All right then,” she amended, “you prefer me because it gives you someone to talk to.” Jack would often return from an SG-1 mission with Carpenter and complain that Daniel and Carpenter had spent the whole time talking archaeology whilst Teal’c had been his usual silent self.

“Damn right.”

She laughed. “Glad to know I’m needed.”

SG – SG – SG