samandjack.net



Chapter Two

That night, during Jack’s watch, he observed Carter as she tossed and turned in her sleep. She had been unusually quiet all day, and she had responded with the expected “Yes, Sir” or “No, Sir” every time he had addressed her.

She had not been particularly chatty with her teammates, either. Teal’c and Jonas had caught on to her mood and had maintained a respectful silence most of the time. They realized she was still grieving for her friend. She had good days and bad days. Today it had been a bad one.

“She will heal in due time, O’Neill,” Teal’c said in a soft voice from his spot against the small tree he had chosen, only a few feet from Jack.

“I thought you were kelnoreeming,” Jack answered just as quietly, trying to switch the subject.

“She misses Daniel Jackson. She loved him as a brother, and she is having a difficult time dealing with his loss,” Teal’c continued, undeterred.

“We all do, Teal’c. But why does she act like Daniel’s loss is somehow my fault?” he asked bitterly.

“I do not perceive this to be the case, O’Neill. She does not blame anyone for what happened, not even Jonas Quinn,” he argued quietly. “But she does not realize that Daniel Jackson is not really dead. She can not understand the difference between ascension and death, like you and I do,” he added.

“I’m not sure I understand it either, Teal’c,” Jack admitted. “If I really did, I would have tried to make her see…” he refrained from finishing his thought.

Talking about Sam Carter was not something he normally allowed himself to do. It was too dangerous. Especially when he talked to someone close; someone that knew how he felt about her.

“Just rest, big guy. It’ll be your turn soon,” he prodded. Teal’c understood Jack’s reluctance to discuss his Major and just nodded. He then closed his eyes and relaxed against the tree again.

A sudden whimper could be heard in the night, and Jack’s eyes were drawn to Carter’s restless form across the fire. She was sleeping on her side, with her back to him, but he could see her shoulders shaking.

He debated for a few seconds about what he should do, but when he heard a second whimper, he quietly moved to her side and placed a hand on her shoulder. She was asleep, but her face was scrunched up as she cried, unaware of his presence. Her fingers were fisted on her blanket, pulling it almost completely off her. Jack reached over and pulled the blanket back to cover her again, then his hand trailed from her shoulder down to her elbow in a soothing caress, trying to calm her without waking her. He did this a few times, until she seemed to relax.

*****

From the other side of the fire, Teal’c watched as Jack’s concerned eyes held the face of his Major, silently stroking her arm until she stopped squirming and slept peacefully again.

The former First Prime marveled, once again, at the deep feelings between his two friends and at the incredible restraint that both of them displayed.

He closed his eyes shut as Jack returned to his spot and hoped, for the millionth time, that someday these two people would be able to be together as they deserved.