samandjack.net



Category: Romance/Humor/UST

Spoilers: Shades of Gray, Enigma, Point of View, There But for the Grace of God

Season: Three, after “Shades of Gray”

Rating: M

Pairings: Sam and Jack

Warnings: Sexual Situations

Summary: Jack takes the team away in the hope to mend some fences and have a relaxed, fun time together. Instead, he is faced with something he has been trying to ignore.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are not my property. I have written this story for the enjoyment of Stargate SG-1 fans all over the world. No copyright infringement is intended and no monetary gain is expected.



SG-1 worked its way, slowly but aggressively, to their destination. It beckoned with the promise of safety and rest, something they were in desperate need of after a challenging but productive day. It was nothing new to them, just one more obstacle to overcome as a team. Successfully vanquishing those who dared to block their way, and staying together, watching out for each other, they finally made it. “Sean’s Basement”, as the neon light announced, promised to be a haven of relative coziness and familiarity in a town gone wild.

“WHOA! That was funny!” a laughing Daniel said as he pushed the heavy bar door open to let the rest of the team through.

“Whose idea, again, was it to come celebrate Mardi Grass in New Orleans?” asked an annoyed Sam, shaking off confetti from her hair. Teal’c was the last one to enter, a protective hand on her back as he let the heavy door close slowly behind him, and making sure that the Major’s latest suitor had not followed them.

“It was O’Neill’s idea, as usual,” he remarked unnecessarily. Jack’s smug smile, as his fingers shook confetti and God knows what else from his silver hair, got wider in acknowledgment.

“Come on, guys! You have to admit today was fun! Carter! Wasn’t today fun?” he directed at the disheveled blonde, begging for solidarity, when he well knew she was seething.

“It was a blast, Sir,” she drawled sarcastically. “I was only this close to breaking that giant’s nose. He pushed just a little too far!” Her annoyance was clear in her lack of a smile and the bristle in her eyes.

“Aw, he was harmless, Carter! He was just drunk, like most people out there. Besides, can you blame him? You were the only chick out there with her top on!” he joked, waiting for her reaction, and knowing perfectly well he was pushing some seriously dangerous buttons. Her blue eyes got wider and stared at him in indignation. Oh, yeah! That particular button always worked!

“Chick? First, that’s not true. And second, are you suggesting I should have taken my top off just to please the man?” she asked in a dangerous tone of voice, her hands on her slim hips. The gesture brought up her not so prim and proper red tank top up, revealing the sparkle of a jeweled belly ring in a background of tanned, smooth skin, encased in hip hugging jeans and a wide, silver belt. Jack couldn’t help it and stared at the beckoning glitter in her middle again. “And will you just stop staring at my stomach? You’d think you’ve never seen a belly ring before!”

“None so pretty… and so unexpected,” he teased in a flirtatious tone. Sam’s eyes became even larger as she glared at him, not knowing whether to feel flattered or insulted. Her hands pulled down her red top rebelliously, daring him to catch another glimpse. Jack just grinned at her again and then raised his hand in acknowledgement, waving at his other two teammates. “Oh, great! Come on! Daniel and Teal’c found us a corner table.” And ignoring her angry stance, he grabbed her arm in a firm grip and pushed her ahead of him towards the farthest corner of the brimming pub, from where Daniel waved frantically.

Jack watched Sam as she walked ahead of him and his eyes, again, for the hundredth time, fell to her cute bottom. There was some skin there too, right between the short tank top and the silver belt, which made it look even more enticing and touchable than usual. She looked hot tonight! And the few beers he had already imbibed had released some of his inhibitions to the poor woman’s chagrin. He had been flirting with her all night, and Teal’c had been raising his eyebrows at them every few minutes, ready to intervene before Sam lost her patience and decked her CO.

“Next time you invite us to a surprise escapade during our down time, I’ll make sure you tell us where you’re taking us. I won’t trust you again with our ‘R&R’. I’m more exhausted than I was after our mission to P4X-677!” Sam was complaining as they reached Daniel and Teal’c, already sitting around a tiny, tall round table. Sam grabbed one of the stools gratefully and sat with her back to the wall, ready to defend her position.

“Do you want another Hurricane, Sam? I’m going for another one. Those are good, aren’t they?” Daniel asked enthusiastically. Sam noticed that his eyes were a little too bright, and his smile too ready. He had been begging to find a place where they could sit and drink for a while. Despite his enthusiasm for the festivities, he was also tired.

“Maybe we should drink some soda instead, Daniel,” she suggested. “The first two Hurricanes went right to my head, and you don’t look like you can handle another one either.”

“Speak for yourself! I’m fine!” he assured her with a goofy smile, denial a sweet refuge. “I’m getting myself another one, and I’m getting one for you too. You need to loosen up!” he threw over his shoulder as he made his way to the bar.

“Hey, I’m loose!” Sam yelled at his retreating back, then turned her indignant eyes on Jack and Teal’c. “Aren’t I loose? Heck, I didn’t even hit the Bozo outside when he put his paws on my… you know,” she lowered her gaze to indicate her chest.

“That was only because Teal’c intervened before you lost it,” Jack smiled at her, daring her to disagree.

“Well, Mardi Grass or not, no one is grabbing my boobs without my permission!” she retorted, a dignified huff following her remark.

“Do you ever give anyone permission, Carter?” Jack widened his eyes as soon as he said it, realizing how inappropriate his question was. Her eyes flashed back to him, clearly at a loss on how to respond. “Sorry, forget I asked you that! One too many beers, I think,” he placated her, a defensive hand up, but his smile still teasing.

“Needless to say, that is none of your business… SIR!” she answered in a controlled, if loud voice. The roaring din of the bar, still nothing compared to what was going on in Bourbon Street outside, made it impossible to speak softly.

“Of course it isn’t!” he apologized, and smiled wider as he caught a tumbling Daniel before he could spill the drinks in his hands. “Whoa! Watch your feet, Danny Boy! You forgot my beer?” he asked the very tipsy archeologist as he handed Sam a large, fancy glass filled with a blue, aromatic liquid.

“Sorry, Jack, not enough hands! I have to go back for your drinks,” Daniel responded, taking a long sip of his cocktail with relish before he placed it on the small table. But before he could turn around to go back to the bar, Jack stopped him.

“That’s OK, I got it. Teal’c? Club soda or Ginger Ale?” he asked the massive jaffa sitting next to Sam with his back to the scarred wood wall.

“Ginger Ale,” he responded calmly, his eyes busy scanning the crowd. He was fascinated by the diversity of humans he had observed tonight. Between the many different races, outfits, and behaviors, he could not decide which had been the most outrageous. He decided that the stupidest, though, had been the large man that had dared put his hands on Major Carter. He had obviously not known the danger he had placed himself in, and Teal’c had felt obligated to spare the man’s bones by forcibly removing him from the proximity of an incensed blonde about to strike him. The man had been unceremoniously dropped back on his feet a few feet away, his jaw hanging open at being so easily lifted and dropped by the only slightly taller black man with the cool gold tattoo on his forehead. “I suggest you continue on with your festivities elsewhere,” Teal’c had suggested stonily, his hands on his sides, but ready to act.

“Sure!” the mammoth had responded, backing off on unsteady feet and realizing he had been given a reprieve. That had been when an amused Jack had suggested they take a break from the street and sit down for another beer in the Irish Pub across the street.

“Daniel, I am loose!” Sam interrupted Teal’c’s musings as she drank thirstily from her cocktail, impatiently pulling out the speared fruit from the glass, and handing it over to the large man on her right, who took it with a small smile and a little bow of thanks.

“Not yet, you’re not!” her friend disagreed, pushing his glasses against his nose. “You’re not having fun yet! You almost hit that poor drunk outside,” he prodded, smiling at her challengingly.

“But I did not! And I’m just a little annoyed at the male behavior around me, that’s all! That ‘poor’ drunk deserved to be hit!” she argued.

“When don’t you find male behavior annoying?” he argued back. Teal’c decided his young friend was obviously drunk. Otherwise, he would not be arguing with Major Carter so foolishly.

“What is that supposed to mean?” she shot back, offended by Daniel’s remark.

“Come on, Sam! Everybody knows you don’t like men much! When was the last time you went on a date?” he asked, his words slurred and his eyes droopy.

“EXCUSE ME?!” she asked flabbergasted, and she stood up menacingly in front of the suddenly scared archeologist.

“What’s going on?” Jack asked good-naturedly as he approached with a beer in one hand and a tall glass of soda for Teal’c in the other. Teal’c chose to answer.

“Daniel Jackson is pursuing a most unhealthy line of questioning,” he informed his CO.

“I bet you haven’t kissed anyone since you kissed Narim. And how long was that ago?” Daniel asked, squinting his eyes in a useless attempt to count. Sam’s face went beet red with embarrassment, her eyes darting to Jack and Teal’c’s faces to see if they had heard. Jack’s next question answered that for her, and she closed her eyes, wanting the ground to swallow her.

“You kissed Narim?” Jack asked, momentary shock clearly reflected on his face, while Teal’c just raised an eyebrow at the mortified Major. Jack immediately masked his irritation at the revelation and looked at Sam with a look that revealed nothing but mild curiosity.

“I LIKE MEN!” Sam finally spat out, desperately ignoring the reference to her kiss with the Tollan. “And I can kiss anyone I want! If it has been a while it’s because I’m choosy, all right?!” Sam finally blurted out, her words slurring a little as she swayed lightly on her feet. The thought that Daniel had not bedded anyone since Hathor also occurred to her, but she was too sensitive to say so. She knew Daniel still missed his wife. She sat back down on the stool, realizing she was a little dizzy, and downed the rest of her cocktail in one gulp.

“Daaanny?” Jack directed at the young man who, clueless to Sam’s volatile mood, just smiled wider, his initial fear at her reaction now forgotten.

“Prove it!” he challenged Sam, ignoring Jack’s warning tone.

“What?” Sam asked dumbfounded, slamming her empty glass back on the table.

“Prove what you just said! That you can have anyone you want, anytime, anyplace. Do it now!” Daniel continued to smile at her over the rim of his glass, watching his friend blush from head to toe. “I knew it! You’re just all talk!” he teased, not realizing that, what was just fun banter for him, was a serious issue for the beautiful but uptight Major.

“OOOK, that’s enough! Carter doesn’t have to prove a thing! We’re here to have fun!” Jack said, trying to placate his 2IC, who seemed to be frozen in place, unable to articulate an answer. He was also extremely uncomfortable with the thought of his 2IC kissing anyone, although he realized that she had a right to her private life, whether he liked it or not.

“Indeed,” Teal’c agreed, his angry eyes now on Daniel. The man really could not hold his liquor.

“FINE! You choose!” Sam stood again, this time with a hand on the table for support.

“Really?”

“Really!”

“Are you sure?”

“Caaarter,” Jack tried to intervene.

“Positive! But after I shut your mouth tonight, I don’t ever want to hear you talk about my private life. I may be a soldier, but I am also a woman. And I have had my share of men, believe it or not!”

“OK, that’s more information than I cared to have tonight! How about you guys…?” but Jack was interrupted by an incensed blonde.

“Stay out of this, Sir!” she snapped at him, and Jack’s eyes went wide.

“Excuse me?” he tried to act offended, hoping to distract them from the current path.

“This is between ‘Danny Boy’ here, and me!” she answered, not even looking at him. She was now scanning the crowd with predatory eyes.

“Go ahead, Daniel. Pick anyone you want here,” she challenged the archeologist, waving an arm to indicate the men on the crowded room and losing her balance in the process. “I won’t sleep with him, but I will show you I can if I want to.” Jack did not like at all where this was leading, but realized that the two young friends were not in the mood to listen, and decided to back off and see how this developed. As long as he and Teal’c were there to control the situation, which he aimed to do, there would be no problem.

“OK,” Daniel responded, slowly examining the crowd. He took his time, during which Sam also scrutinized the men surrounding their table, and started to realize that she really did not like her options. She could not see herself approaching any of the human beings around her, but she was not about to admit that. She was going to shut up the rumors about her once and for all, even if she had to step into a different Samantha Carter tonight.

She knew that men in the base talked about her. Daniel had shared with her enough overheard comments for her to realize that some men speculated about her sexual orientation, while others were convinced she was frigid. Just because she was not receptive to the admiring looks and few advances she received in the workplace, it did not mean she did not have a private, socially active life. OK, so she did not have an active social life. But no one really knew that, and it wasn’t anyone’s business anyway. Damn it!

“Forget it, Sam,” Daniel finally said in a defeated tone of voice. “Any drunk here would jump at the opportunity to bed a hot blonde. There is no challenge here!”

“How convenient!” Sam mocked. “Just admit that you’re wrong and I won’t kick your ass when you’re sober.” She was now slightly leaning on Jack for support, with her arms crossed challengingly.

“Ohhh, I don’t think I’m wrong,” Daniel argued, still too stubborn to give up. Jack rolled his eyes and looked at Teal’c, who just shook his head. “I still don’t think you’re that much into men, really.”

“Guys, just stop it already! Nobody cares whether Carter has boyfriends or not!” Jack tried to put an end to the subject. Instead, he felt Sam’s wrath turn to him.

“Nobody cares?” she asked defiantly, her eyes now on Jack’s flustered face. That was the worst thing he could have said to her, but he had no idea that Sam would perceive it that way. He had no clue that she had a crush on him and that she secretly hoped it was reciprocated.

“I mean… nobody… you know… needs to know,” he stammered, not sure what would be an honest and still placating answer.

“Oh, I think some people need to know,” she replied cryptically. It was more than a challenge now. Her pride had been pricked.

“I want to know!” Daniel interrupted happily, raising his hand. The man did not know when to shut up!

“Daniel! You’re not having another drink tonight!” Jack snapped angrily. Maybe bringing them here was not such a good idea after all. He had felt so guilty about his solo mission that he had wanted to have a bonding experience away from the SGC. Now it was backfiring on his face. “And no, we don’t need or want to know,” he addressed Sam now, the CO trying to assert his command.

“Well, you’re going to have a taste,” she retorted, not the least bit intimidated, indicating to Jack that she was beyond her drinking limit as well. Sam suddenly pushed away from him and turned to the crowd, her eyes fierce, her body leaning left and right slightly. She seemed to hone on one man by the bar, a tall, smiling young man with beautiful white teeth and bright green eyes. His dark hair contrasted beautifully with the rest of him, and Sam smiled, finding hidden courage in the alcohol singing through her veins. Before Jack could grab her arm, she stalked towards the bar, heading straight for her unsuspecting victim.

Jack turned to Daniel, who was smiling goofily at Sam’s retreating form, and brought his glare within inches of the other man’s glasses. “Nice job, Daniel!”

“Thanks! This should be fun!” he answered, and Jack realized the young man was too far-gone to bother with anymore.

“Duh!” he exclaimed, and straightened up to watch as Sam approached the handsome man with a provocative sway to her lean, tall body. She leaned on the bar and asked for another drink, her arm casually leaning on the standing stranger, who to that point had been talking to a pretty young thing sitting next to him at the bar. He turned slightly surprised eyes on Sam and she fixed him with one her most brilliant smiles, which seemed to leave the young man speechless for a few moments. She said something to him and he smiled, nodding agreeably, then slightly turned his back on the pretty brunette he had been talking to. The girl’s mouth just hung open for a few seconds, then she shot daggers at Sam with her eyes as she got up in a huff and stalked off.

Jack watched in sick fascination as Sam effortlessly chatted away with the dark stranger, smiling at him and batting her eyes at him shamelessly. She paid for her new drink, another Hurricane that Jack knew would be the death of her, and ordered a drink for the young man, who had completely forgotten he had been flirting with another woman up to a minute ago. “Teal’c, why don’t you take Mr. Mouth here back to the hotel and put him safely to bed. Sam and I will follow,” Jack ordered, and the jaffa silently nodded and stood up.

“Wait! I want to see what happens with Sam and that guy!” Daniel complained as Jack pulled on his arm and made him stand up.

“Nothing is gonna happen with Sam and that guy! Sorry to spoil your fun, Danny Boy, but you’re going back to the hotel and I’m bringing Hottie back with me shortly,” he told a swaying Daniel in a grumpy tone, pointing at Sam with a thumb over his shoulder.

“Come on, Jack! She’s just playing, and so am I!” he whined, not willing to give up his fun.

“You’re playing! She’s offended! And now she’s trying to prove something she didn’t need to prove to begin with!” he said slowly, his eyes angry. Daniel realized, in a drunken haze, that Jack may be right, and looked at Sam again, the beginnings of shame starting to take hold.

“Well, if you’re going to bring her back I suggest you follow them,” Daniel said, pointing at the couple who was now heading for the door. Jack’s head snapped back in time to see Sam disappear in the crowd, leaning heavily against a very happy young man.

“Teal’c!” was all he said, and the jaffa just nodded, now standing next to Daniel. The two teammates watched their CO take off in a hurry, headed for the door.

Sam was floating high, her head unsteady on her shoulders, as she leaned on her new friend, Connor, with an arm around his waist. He supported her easily, not nearly as drunk as she, and confidently directed her outside, where the pandemonium was no calmer than earlier. He was cute, really cute. He was also five years younger, but she did not care. He was tall and muscular. She liked tall men. She loooved tall men. Especially men with great physiques like Connor’s… and like her CO’s. Now, where had that come from? And where were the guys? Sam suddenly stumbled and Connor caught her, preventing her from falling on her face. She laughed, finding her almost collision with the floor hilarious, and Connor laughed along, greatly enjoying the feel of her firm, strong body in his arms.

“I saved you! You owe me!” he claimed, wrapping her closely in strong arms and holding her captive, his face slowly lowering to hers. Sam looked up, laughing again, and her head just fell back as she leaned heavily against him.

“Ok,” she said simply, her brightest smile welcoming his approaching mouth, when she was abruptly wrenched from Connor’s arms by the waist and slammed against a solid chest from behind.

“What the hell are you doing?” her new friend yelled in frustrated anger at the individual who had just spoiled his fun. His eyes were hard on the older, silver haired man holding a baffled Sam away from him.

“Just claiming back what’s mine, if you don’t mind,” Jack responded calmly. He figured stating that Sam was with him would be the quickest way to get rid of the interloper. His dark eyes conveyed a threat that the younger man chose not to acknowledge.

“She’s with me now, pal!” he argued, taking a step towards Sam and reaching for her, grasping her wrist. Sam’s head had fallen against Jack’s chest and she was craning her neck in an effort to look up at him, smiling widely in the comfort of his arms.

“No, she’s not. And I advise you to walk away, now!” Jack was standing with both legs firmly on the ground, his arms gripping Sam’s waist, and his eyes steady. The young man was just as tall and muscular as Jack, but he was not stupid. He recognized an experienced fighter when he saw one, so he chose prudence over daring.

“Samantha? Who’s this guy?” he still tried, appealing to the woman that, in his opinion, should decide.

“Connor, this… this is Jack. Jack… this… is Connor,” Sam was able to enunciate well enough to be understood. She was now almost a dead weight in Jack’s arms. He thought dourly that she should not have downed that last Hurricane at the bar, especially in such a hurry.

“Are you with him?” Connor asked the stunning blonde he saw slipping through his fingers.

“I wish,” she said simply, closing her eyes against Jack’s neck, her nose inhaling deeply of his masculine scent. Jack’s mouth went dry and his heart did a flip at her words, but his face revealed nothing. He still stared menacingly at the younger man, daring him to make a move. Connor returned his glare, but then decided that an almost unconscious woman, no matter how attractive and willing, was not going to be so much fun after all.

“Fine, grandpa!” he yelled at Jack, throwing the insult viciously. “You can keep her!” and he turned his back to go back into the bar he had just left.

“Thanks, son!” Jack replied sarcastically as the young man retreated. He was still reeling from Sam’s words, and nothing the man could have said would have made him angry at that moment.

“Sir…” Sam moaned against his neck, still leaning on him. He could feel her body molding to his as she sought support, and he allowed himself a few moments of relish, his arms wrapped around her as he closed his eyes, the warmth of her breath on his skin doing wonderful things to his insides.

“Time to go to bed, Carter,” he finally said, and turned her around to face her, trying to assess whether she could walk or not. She looked up at him and bestowed on him a sweet, dreamy smile.

“Bed… yes. That sounds great. Yours or mine?” she asked slowly, and she let her body fall forwards against his, her arms going around his neck as her head fell on his chest. Jack’s heart did a cartwheel this time, then three more in a row. The thought of being in bed with Carter suddenly ignited his core, as if something had exploded within. His body reacted enthusiastically to the suggestion, and he had to swallow hard and push her away gently before she realized what she had done to him.

“Can you walk?” he managed to ask, painfully ignoring her earlier question and his body’s response. Sam nodded at him, another smile on her lips. Boy, was she smiley when she was drunk!

“I can, if you help me. I don’t know why… I’m so tired!” she slurred, her hands still laced around his neck.

“I can’t imagine!” he commented sarcastically. “Come on!” he said, grabbing her left hand and pulling it over his shoulders as he firmly gripped her waist with his right arm, practically carrying her as they walked slowly towards their hotel. It was a good thing it was close by, because by the time they made it there, Sam was almost asleep and Jack was struggling to hold her up. He should have had the guys wait for them, after all. By the time they got to the elevator, Sam had passed out.

“Great!” Jack said to himself as he lifted and carried Sam’s limp body to her room. He had to put her down and hold her against the wall with his body while he searched her jeans’ pockets for her card key, trying valiantly to keep his thoughts on the search and not on the parts of her anatomy he could feel. He found it on her back pocket and pulled it out, inserting it quickly in the slot and unlocking the mechanism as Sam slumped against him.

Holding the door open with one foot, he picked up his unconscious Major again and proceeded to lay her on the bed. Now what? He looked around the room at a loss, wondering what to do. He did not want to leave her alone in this state, but he had to thread carefully here. Especially given his earlier reaction to her drunken words. Because that was all they were, of course! She did not want him, not really. She just had seduction in her mind when she had said that, right?

Jack sighed deeply, again faced with the fact that he had the hots for his 2IC, and his body wanting very much to do something about it. He could not deny it any longer, at least not to himself. He cared for Carter. He also wanted her, rather desperately at the moment. Watching her sleep, her long limbs relaxed on the mattress, her beautiful face semi-buried in the pillows, he felt the irresistible urge to touch her. He slowly sat on the mattress next to her, and his hand reached for her face, his fingers brushing her soft skin with almost reverence. She stirred, and he snatched his hand back, feeling guilty for taking advantage of her condition.

“Snap out of it, O’Neill!” he thought, and then stood up to remove her sandals and cover her with a blanket. “She’s gonna have a heck of a hang over tomorrow,” he thought, and then shook his head, knowing that, unless she threw up tonight, it was unavoidable.

“Carter! Try to wake up! Come on, Carter! You need to throw up!” he shook her lightly, and miraculously, her eyes slowly opened. Her gaze fell on his face and she immediately smiled sweetly, realizing she was in a comfy bed with her very delectable CO as company.

“Hi, come here,” she drawled, a long arm sneaking out from under the blanket and falling heavily around his neck. “Lay down with me,” she begged sweetly, pulling on him.

“I can’t do that, Carter. You know that,” he answered regretfully, but smiling at her invitation.

“Yes, you can. You just don’t want to,” Sam replied softly, her smile disappearing. Her face shifted from dreamy to sad in a second, and she turned away from him, hiding her face against her pillow.

“That’s not true,” he admitted quietly, wanting very much to pull her back towards him and hold her in his arms.

“Yes, it is. You’re just like the rest of them. You think I don’t have any feelings. You think I’m frigid!” she moaned into her pillow, the tough soldier he knew completely gone and replaced by a vulnerable woman. Jack’s heart went out to her, knowing what she was referring to. He had heard the men talk in the locker room, when they thought he could not hear them. They could not believe that a beautiful woman like Major Carter could be immune to all the advances thrown her way and still be normal. Some even thought she might be gay. Idiots!

“Carter, don’t be silly. Of course I don’t think that!” he argued lamely, still trying not to touch her. His response was a muffled sob, and he could not help himself. He reached for her and grabbed her shoulder. He pulled firmly, despite her struggles to remain hidden, and finally she faced him, eyes swimming in tears. “You have to know that Daniel was just playing with you! That’s what brothers do,” he said gently, wiping tears from her cheeks. “He’s going to be one sorry ass tomorrow when he realizes what he did,” he added.

“You really don’t see it, do you?” she finally asked softly, her wide blue eyes still teary and hurt. Couldn’t he tell that she did not care what others thought? Couldn’t he tell that she cared only for what he thought of her?

“See what?” he asked at a loss.

“Nothing! Forget it! Where’s Connor?” she asked, suddenly sitting up and looking around with a frustrated, angry look on her face.

“He’s back at the bar, I guess,” Jack replied dryly, not pleased with her question.

“I’m going back there!” she suddenly said, getting off the bed and shakily walking towards the door, leaning heavily on the wall. Jack was on her in seconds, grabbing her resolutely by the arms and turning her again towards the bed.

“You’re not going anywhere, Major,” he ordered. “You need to sleep! Preferably after you throw up or you’re gonna be very sorry tomorrow morning.”

“I don’t want to sleep! I want to be with someone! I want someone to hold me, to make love to me. I don’t want to be alone!” Sam moaned like a little girl as Jack pushed her back onto the bed. He was at a loss for words, and just held her against the mattress, preventing her from getting up. “Please, hold me! Kiss me!” she begged, her hands cupping his cheeks and pulling his face forcefully towards hers. She repeated again, “I don’t want to be alone tonight!”

It was too much for Jack. She was begging him, with tears in her eyes, for what he wanted most to give. He knew she wasn’t herself, he knew it was the booze talking, and he knew that she probably wanted to be with a handsome young man like Connor and not with an old soldier like him, but he found himself touching her wet cheeks, entranced by her mouth, only inches from his. “I can’t, Carter,” he argued weakly.

“Kiss me, Jack! Please! Kiss me,” she whispered earnestly, raising her head lightly and grazing his lips with hers. Jack closed his eyes in surrender, already a goner, even before he heard his name on her lips. His mouth closed on hers with a soft groan, and she whimpered with delight, her hands now on his neck, gripping him as if she was afraid he would try to escape. The kiss, initially soft and hesitant, quickly morphed into something urgent, scorching and violent. Jack was lost, the taste of her mouth driving him wild. Her hands, roaming his neck, chest and shoulders in passion, encouraged his own to move from her face and slid down her chest to cup a heaving breast. Sam cried out against his lips when his unsatisfied fingers sought out the warm skin under the red cloth of her top and brushed against a hard nipple. Her right hand suddenly fisted on his polo shirt, trying to pull it over his head. She tugged a couple of times and succeeded in freeing him from it, reaching skin, but she was not content with that. Her fingers desperately tried to pull his belt free, while Jack’s mouth slowly made its way from her mouth to her neck, his hands exploring freely under her red tank top. He had suspected that she was wearing no bra, but now he knew it for certain.

“Yes… oh God!” she panted, when she felt his mouth wandering towards her chest. Her right hand became impatient with the belt and just reached down to stroke him through the material of his pants. Jack groaned again, his eyes shut tight, thinking he was going to blow with just her touch. His hands pulled up her top and freed her beautiful, full breasts, which immediately fell prey to his mouth and tongue. Her left hand held his head to her chest while her right one kept working against his hardness. His right hand eagerly found her heat through the jeans blocking his way, and she cried out again, opening her legs in welcome. “AAH, Sir… please…!” she whimpered, beyond all reason, thinking she had never felt something so electrifying, and desperate to feel that hand directly on her flesh.

Hearing the word “Sir” in the heat of the moment gave Jack pause, and through the haze of passion and desire, he hesitated, and his hand suddenly left her. He lifted his head regretfully from her chest, and looked at her flushed face, her eyes closed in abandon. Those eyes snapped open in bafflement when she realized he had stopped, and she stared back at him in wonder, her brow creasing in concern. “What… what is it?” she asked breathlessly.

“Sam…” he croaked, and he sat up, the heel of his hands covering his eyes in frustration. “We can’t do this!” He thought he would explode, but they just couldn’t! She was drunk and he knew it. He wasn’t quite sober either, or things would not have gone so far. But he blamed himself. He was taking advantage of her, plain and simple. And he just couldn’t do it! He abruptly got out of bed and picked up his shirt from the floor. Hurriedly, before he lost his resolve, he put it back on. Then he stood back and looked down on her, and what he saw almost broke him.

Sam was sprawled on the bed; her breasts covered now that she had pulled her top back down. She just stared at him with infinite sadness, her chest still going up and down with unspent passion. He saw devastation, disappointment, and finally, he saw understanding. “Sam, I’m sorry…” he started, but she closed her eyes, and slowly turned to her side, giving him a clear view of bare back as she curled up into a fetal position, hugging a pillow to her chest. “Sam,” he called softly. “I’m doing this for you,” he said gently, hating himself for putting them in such a difficult position in the first place.

“Please go,” she begged in a hoarse voice that, despite its misery, held no tears. He hated to leave her like this, but he knew he had to go. He knew his resolve was weak, and fading fast. He turned and walked to the door, ready to open it, and thinking that this was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do. His hand took the handle in a death grip, and he just stood there, wondering if the worst mistake would be to leave her room tonight.

“I love you, Sam,” he finally admitted in his mind. No more hiding his feelings, no more denial. He loved her, and that was that. But he could not do anything about it. How he felt about her wasn’t a great revelation to him. But the fact that she wanted him, maybe as fiercely as he wanted her, was. At least he now knew he did not disgust her. The two Sams from the alternate realities had not been flukes. Her desire for him, drunk or not, could not be denied. Her eyes had spoken of an intense feeling bursting to be voiced, but the moment was now gone, and his heartbreaking decision had squelched whatever that feeling was before she could express it. And he knew that it was for the better.

Jack somehow reached his room, and the safety of his own bed, in absolute and complete desolation. How had things gotten so out of hand? How had he allowed his feelings to run away with his actions, possibly damaging the integrity of his team and hurting the one person he cared for above all others in the process? As sleep finally claimed him, he hoped that she would not remember in the morning. It was his only chance.


Next Morning:

Sam opened her eyes with difficulty. The sliver of sunshine that sneaked into her room through the closed curtains hit her smack on the face, making her groan in misery. Her head felt like lead, and she could barely move it on the pillow. But something other than the splitting headache had awakened her.

She heard knocking, and she groaned again, realizing that someone was at the door. Making a supreme effort, she lifted her head enough to peek at the clock and see that it was 1130 hours. She had almost slept the morning away! Summoning her unbreakable will power, she got out of bed and gingerly approached the door, wishing that the knocking wasn’t so damned loud. “I’m coming!” she managed to say, and the effort left her head pounding even worse.

She carefully opened the door a crack, leaving the security chain on. All she could see was white, but the sweet smell of roses drifted to her nostrils. “Samantha Carter?” a young, eager little man asked perkily from behind the bouquet of white roses he was holding in front of him.

“Yes?” she responded painfully, her voice in a croak.

“Flowers for you, ma’am,” the little man smiled.

“Are you sure?” she asked in puzzlement. Who could be sending her flowers? And a better question yet, why? Sudden horror filled her, trying to remember last night’s events at the bar. She had accepted Daniel’s challenge and she had tried to pick up a young man. Connor. His name was Connor. Had she stupidly bedded the man?

She abruptly opened the door and took the card that was nestled gracefully amongst the flowers. She tore it open hurriedly and almost sank to the floor in relief when she read Daniel’s message. “I am SOOOO sorry! Please forgive me!” he had written. The little man cleared his throat delicately and Sam managed a smile. “Just a minute, please,” she requested, and she went to look for her wallet.

After tipping the deliveryman, Sam put the flowers on the only table in the room and sank back on the bed, struggling to remember the events from the prior night. She could not remember everything, but she had a clear picture of Jack in her room, looking down on her with raw pain in his brown eyes. More came to her as she tried to remember. Pictures in her mind, carefully threaded together, brought back memories of fierce kisses and a hot mouth on her breasts. She clearly remembered asking him to kiss her. And she remembered his hardness filling her hand. “God, what have I done?” she cried to the empty room. Had she given away her feelings completely? Did he know how she felt about him?

Most importantly, what was she supposed to do now? They had crossed a line they were not supposed to even get close to. He had caved as well. She remembered his regret when he left her. He had said he was doing it for her. Funny, how she could remember those little details, and not remember anything after she left the bar with the young man, Connor. She had no recollection of how she had made it to her room, although it was obvious that Jack had brought her here.

Sam closed her eyes, both to block out the sun spilling into her room and to try to relive those forbidden moments of passion with her CO. As wrong and damaging as they were, they were the sweetest memories she could hold. Her privileged brain pondered on how to fix things, how to continue on as if nothing had happened. They had to. She could not even consider the idea of reassignment or worse, resignation. No one else knew what had happened, only the two of them. And they had to keep it that way. Even better, they had to keep it secret from each other. She knew what she had to do, and as impossibly difficult as she knew it would be, she knew she would do it. It was the only solution to their problem.


That Evening:

Jack waited patiently in the lobby, hoping intensely that Sam would be the first one to come down for dinner. She had spent the whole day “recuperating” from the previous night, and tonight’s dinner and outing was the last team get-together before they had to leave for Colorado Springs in the morning. He was fairly certain that, this time, no one would be up for drinking.

He had spent the afternoon sightseeing with Teal’c, while Daniel nursed a hang over and Sam slept hers away. He had sent the flowers to Sam, per Daniel’s request. The archeologist was wallowing in guilt during a very late breakfast, after Jack callously recounted his actions from the previous night. “You practically asked her when she had last gotten laid, Daniel.” Her almost fling with “Connor” had been the last straw, and Daniel had been at a loss on how to make amends. Jack had suggested the white roses, sign of friendship and peace, and the younger man had jumped at the suggestion.

Now Jack knew it was his turn. He had his own amends to make, and he still did not know how he was going to do it. He had to talk to her and figure out how much of last night she remembered. His heart rate picked up when he saw her step into the room. Tonight she was dressed in a pretty lavender sundress, the soft fabric molding to her legs as she walked. She wore high-heeled sandals and carried with her a light cream sweater. He let his eyes roam before she located him on the couch, and he drank in the way the thin straps tied around her neck to hold up her gorgeous breasts. He swallowed, remembering the taste of them, the heat of her response, and his misery at having to pull away and leave her behind.

He noticed the moment she found him in the lobby. His poker face firmly in place, he waved at her to come over. She smiled easily, and she approached him without hesitation, sinking comfortably next to him. “Where are Daniel and Teal’c?” she asked carelessly as her eyes searched the rest of the large lobby.

“They should be here shortly,” he answered without missing a beat. “How’s your head?” he asked with sincere concern.

“The head is fine. My stomach may not be so lucky. We’ll see,” she smiled brightly at him, maybe too brightly. No time to beat around the bush. He had to know.

“How much do you remember from last night, Carter?” he asked clearly, holding his breath for her answer, not really knowing whether he wanted her to remember or not.

“Not much after I met Connor, I’m afraid. Please tell me I didn’t do or say anything stupid!” her wide eyes begged with dismay.

“Even at your worst, you don’t do stupid,” he smiled gently, deep down bitterly disappointed that she did not remember their brief encounter in her bedroom. “Are you sure you don’t remember anything else?” he prodded, needing to be sure.

“No! I guess I passed out at the bar. Who brought me here?” she asked innocently. “Did Teal’c have to carry me?”

“No,” he sighed lightly, smiling sadly at her. “I brought you here. You could walk most of the way.”

“Oh! Thank you, Sir. I’m sorry I’m such a lousy drunk!” she winced.

“Actually…” Jack hesitated, but then continued, “You’re quite an adorable drunk.” His sad smile remained, and Sam almost gave it all up and closed the space between them to throw her arms around him.

“Am I?” she asked in a little voice, her resolve wavering.

“Yeah! You smile a lot. And I like to see you smile,” Jack answered. His eyes softened as he stared at her mouth, then shifted to look over her shoulder. “Daniel and Teal’c are here. Ready for dinner?” he asked nonchalantly.

Sam swallowed, and then she smiled again as if nothing was amiss, “Sure! We can give it a try,” she agreed as she stood up, following Jack’s example. She then walked towards Daniel, who was approaching with a sheepish look on his face. She hugged him tightly, thanking him for the flowers. Jack watched them talk quietly for a few seconds, smiling at each other and teasing easily, all forgiven. He swallowed his regret, forgave himself for his trespasses, and determinedly tore his gaze away from the beautiful woman dressed in lilac to address his jaffa friend.

“Did you bring your appetite, Teal’c?”

“Always,” the large man answered with a bow, his knowing eyes missing nothing. “Are you all right, O’Neill?” he asked, his concern clear on his dark face.

“I will be, my friend. Someday.” And his eyes reluctantly returned to the object of his deepest desires.



The End