samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: not a one

SEASON: any you want

ARCHIVE: whoever wants it, you only have to ask.

NOTES: I think putting the lovely Colonel in all black is going to become a bit of a trademark. Yum.


Jack turned the corner and continued down the corridor to Carter's quarters. He was playing hooky from paperwork and Janet had got sick of him playing with stuff in the infirmary so he was asked (well ordered) to go give Carter some files. As he reached her open door he stopped stock-still. The sight before him elicited a low whistle from his lips.

"Woah, Major... what's the occasion?" He finally managed.

Sam turned to see Colonel O'Neill stood in her doorway his arm resting on the frame. She hid the smile that crept upon her lips as she turned to give him the full impact, the classic 'jaw hitting the floor look' currently present on her CO's face was priceless. Well that was the effect she wanted after all. As she finished putting the finishing touches to her makeup she replied.

"Got a date Sir, thought I 'd make an bit of an effort. Seeing as how we have some downtime with Daniel and Teal'c visiting Rya'c"

Still not quite trusting his voice, Jack just raised his eyebrows prompting her to continue while he attempted to regulate both heartbeat and breathing while simultaneously trying to control the X- rated thoughts concerning his 2IC and quell the sudden overwhelming jealousy that had reared it's head.

"Janet set me up Sir, in fact she has set me up twice. She said that she was tired of me making excuses and decided to do something about it. So being Janet she set me up more than once in the hopes of giving me a choice."

"Carter, don't take this the wrong way, but for a first date, isn't that little black number going to give the wrong impression?"

//Well done Jack, that's right. Don't compliment how utterly fantastic she looks, don't say have a good time. Just insult her. Well done. I'm impressed.//

The fact that she saw the "Oops. Foot in mouth expression" on his face was the only thing that saved him from a dressing down (well that and the fact that that wasn't the only dressing down she wanted to take part in with him). Plus Janet was so confident in her plan that Sam couldn't back out, not even if she wanted to. "Get him Jealous Major" that was the mantra that Janet had all but surgically engraved on Sam's brain.

Turning slowly, at precisely the right angle to give him just the right view, she smoothed the rich material over her body and stated as casually as possible. "Maybe that's the impression I want to give Sir."

With that, she grabbed her purse and slid past the open doorway, allowing her hip to brush him quickly. She felt him tense and heard his sharp intake of breath as she continued to walk away from him. Well Janet was certainly right, he did want her whether he knew it or not, but the question was would he actually do anything about it when he realised? As she met her 'date' for the evening, the only thought was that she *really* hoped this would work.



^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^



Jack was like a bear with a sore head, and he knew it. No matter what he had tried to do, paperwork, eat, talk to General about the next mission, watch TV, he couldn't shake the image of Sam sauntering down the corridor to meet her date, looking all stunning and confident in that dress. Well the least said about that dress and the impact it had had on him the better.

He kept telling himself that she was an independent woman who was perfectly capable of handling herself and completely free to date anyone she chose. The logic of his thoughts was sound, but it didn't stop him feeling like he'd just been kicked in the stomach. It also didn't stop him thinking about what she was doing, and *that* was the problem.

As he switched his light off and climbed into bed for what he knew was going to be a sleepless night. He told himself in his best Colonel's voice that he was feeling like this because as a member of his team he had got into the habit of protecting her. And that was the *only* reason he was feeling like this. Oh sweet denial.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*



As soon as he possibly could without making himself *look* like he was desperate, Jack went to find the source of his discomfort.

He wasn't sure what he was going to hear, but he had to know what had happened. If she had had a good time, (hopefully not too good a time) if she saw a future for her and this guy or if, like he fervently wished, he had got a bit above his station and she had put some of those level three advanced moves on him.

"Morning Carter..." //yes, good, stay neutral// "How did the date go?"

"Well, ok I suppose."

//YES!// That was just what he wanted to hear. No Sam floating around after the perfect date, no Sam gushing about how wonderful the guy was. This he could handle.

"What do you mean? 'You suppose'

"Well Sir, it's a little embarrassing" He saw the lovely hue creep into her cheeks, what *was* she trying to do to him? Once more not able to trust his voice, he raised his eyebrow in that "Get on with it Carter" manner.

Well, it's just that... that, well. Everything was fine until we said goodnight"

Jack felt his insides coil and his hackles rise. He'd better not have hurt a hair on her beautiful blond head. //Woah, Jack, where did the 'beautiful' come from// he stunned himself with his thought. But as he looked at her trying to tell him something that was obviously difficult for her to do. He couldn't deny it any longer. She wasn't just beautiful, she was...NO. STOP IT. She's against Regs soldier!

"You see Sir, he wanted to say goodnight, and well he kissed me."

"There's nothing wrong with that Carter, it's practically a tradition"

He was so very proud of himself for his seemingly ambivalent attitude, but inside the thought of someone other than him kissing her was making him hurt, badly. He suddenly realised that he couldn't even attempt to deny this anymore. She wasn't just his 2IC any longer. That particular discovery hit him and splattered every one of his good intentions to a pulp. He wanted her, for himself. But he couldn't have her could he? Besides she didn't want him.

"No Sir, that's not what I mean. You see, I erm, I didn't exactly respond to him. I'm just disappointed. I'd had such a good time up until I realised that there was absolutely no chemistry between us" She finished

"Sam, he just wasn't the right person for you. I mean, you can't make chemistry happen, it's either there or it isn't. And when it's there you know it is, even before it comes to the kiss. Kiss the right person, and it's like your world sets on fire and you are floating, feeling nothing but him. If I where you, I'd just put it down to the fact that you weren't attracted to him."

She just nodded through down turned eyes, not daring to look at him. His words had surprised her. His emotion had surprised her. That's not quite true, they had shocked the living hell out of her. She had never seen or heard him like this. If she wasn't completely hooked before, she was now his eyes all but smouldered and his voice melted her.

"Come on you're smarter than that Sam. Don€ '²t let it get you down. Maybe tonight's date will light your fire"

He left the room so quickly; he almost sprinted down the corridor. This was going so fast. After such a long time of burying any non- professional feelings for Sam as soon as they appeared, he had come to the conclusion that he couldn't deny this anymore. His feelings where real, not induced by intense situations or alien viruses, he did actually love her. He needed time to think. He had to be alone. What the Hell was he going to do now?

He headed for the gym. A gruelling workout usually helped him clear his mind. Well, two hours of boxing, running, rope climbing and weights had done nothing except left him sat in the locker room head in his hands, more confused than ever. That was how the general found him.

"You look like a man with a lot on his mind"

"Yeah, you could say that"

"Why don't you tell me about it? It's a bitch when you finally realise how you feel and think you can't do anything about it, isn't it Colonel?"

The "How, what, why, when," look on Jack's face caused Hammond to laugh. For a bright guy, he really was dumb sometimes. Janet on the other hand was spot on.



*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^** ^*^



"Sam, I told you it would work. There is no better way of waking a man up to his feelings that good old jealousy"

"But Janet, he didn't say anything, he just left. He has no idea that the general is in on this and that everything has been sorted out. He will be sat thinking that he feels something, but that he can't do anything about it. Plus, he knows I'm going out with Gary tonight"

"Sam, will you just trust me. If things are going to plan, General Hammond will be talking to our confused Colonel just about now. After toying with him for a while he'll make sure that Jack is serious and not just doing his famous 'reacting without thinking' thing, and then tell him that as his commanding officer, he would be willing to "overlook" the regulations on this matter"

"Then what Janet? I feel so awful doing this to him. I know how he'll be feeling."

"Then" Janet cut off her friends protestations "if I know our Jack, he'll finally *do* something. Look Sam, you know Jack, this is the only way to wake him up to the obvious. Besides, it'll be worth it. You just go on your date and leave the rest to us."



*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^



"Colonel O'Neill, are you telling me that you have feelings for a subordinate officer?"

Hammond was enjoying this. It had taken him over an hour to get Jack to say what everyone knew. It was fun to watch the normally decisive soldier confused about his thoughts and actions.

"General, I guess I am. And I don't now what I can do about it. For one, there's the regulations, for two, I don't know how she feels and three, she's on a date as we speak."

"Are you serious about her Son?"

The look in Jack's eyes answered the question anyway, but it was the emotion behind the words left Hammond wondering how on earth he could have denied his feelings for so long.

"Yes Sir, I am. I love her"

"Well Son, as to the regulations: we have our own set anyway. If it's fine by me, then it's fine by the Air Force. Secondly, There is only one way to find out how she feels. And three, it's only a first date. Why don't you go see how it's going?"

As Jack tried to assimilate the implications of the information he had just been given, he saw the general smirk and for the first time in two days the coil in the pit of his stomach released.

"Go and get your lady Colonel"

"Yes sir" As Jack sprang into action he ran out of the room grinning a grin that threatened to split his face in half.

Just as Hammond picked up the internal phone, a rather bouncy Colonel swung back into the doorway...

"Thank you Sir"

With that he left as quickly as he had arrived and the general finished the phone call.

"Doctor, we have a go"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^ *^*^



Sam had been nervous all through dinner. It had nothing to do with Gary. He knew why he was here and what the plan was. Her nerves where due to the message that she had just received on her cell phone from Janet. It consisted of four simple words, words that could possibly be the most important words she had ever read. "We have a go"

She told Gary and he smiled at her "Well it should take him about 20 minutes to get here, so what say we go dance while we wait. By the way, do you want me to leave gracefully or keep him going a bit longer? Personally I value each and every one of my appendages, so I would prefer to get the hell out of here as soon as he arrives."

Sam laughed a genuine laugh. Gary was so sweet. If she hadn't been totally under Jack's spell, she wouldn't have minded a second date.



*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^



They had danced, ate, ordered more drinks and he still hadn't turned up. It had been over an hour since she had received Janet's message. With every passing minute her heart had sank a little more. As the waiters began cleaning up around them she said

"He's not coming is he?"

Gary couldn't say anything. He knew that she was right, he wasn't coming. What an ass-hole! After watching her slowly lose the light from her eyes as the time had gone on, he really felt like ringing a certain Colonel's neck.

"Will you take me home please. I would rather be alone right now." Her voice was flat; it too had lost its normal spark. "Well Colonel", thought Gary "you better have a bloody good excuse tomorrow because nothing short of hospitalisation will get you out of hurting Major Carter. If I where you, I'd apply for a transfer effective immediately cause when everyone finds out about this, you will be in for one rough ride. Teal'c for one will kill you when he and Daniel return"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



As she said goodbye to her date and walked alone up the steps to her front door, Jack's stomach turned over. She looked amazing. The short blue dress was the perfect match to her eyes, but something was wrong. She looked... deflated. He couldn't just watch her any longer. The time was now.

"Major, if you keep jiggling the lock like that the only thing you'll achieve is to snap the key"

She turned so quickly; half-afraid that if she wasn't fast enough the image belonging to that voice would disappear. Her breath caught at the sight of the figure stood at the bottom of her steps. He was here. He *had* come. And he looked... Wow! He really knew how to make an impression. Black jumper and black trousers, hands in his pockets and a look in his dark eyes that she had never dreamed she would see.

He watched as her expression changed from one of shock and surprise, to something that gave Jack all the encouragement he needed. She looked like an expectant angel, her eyes wide...confused, a little scared, but waiting. Hoping.

"What are you doing here, Sir?"

The 'Sir' was deliberate and they both knew it, but this time Jack was undeterred.

"Well major, if you'd have asked me that question two days ago, I wouldn't have been able to answer you. But tonight there is something need to do."

As he walked slowly and purposefully towards her, with each step that he took her heart beat a little faster. When he finally reached her, he took one of her hands and placed it flat on his chest. At first she was confused, until she began to feel the rhythm of his heart through his strong chest. It was beating wildly, almost, but not quite out of control. She looked up and her questioning gaze locked to his. His usually chocolate eyes had turned almost black as he held her hand to his chest.

"You do that Sam, and I want you to do that for the rest of our lives. I know I have been an idiot, but give me the chance to make it up to you. What you can see in my eyes and feel in my chest is just for you and it will be for always. Just give me a chance to prove it"

She didn't answer him, she couldn't. Her voice had been replaced by a swell of tears in the back of her throat; the beauty of his words and actions hit her very core. No sarcasm, no bravado, he had just laid his soul bare for her, giving her the power to either destroy him or the choice to complete them both.

He said nothing; he just watched the emotions flying across her luminescent eyes. He had never left himself so open to pain before, but he had to be sure that she knew what she meant to him, he had to know that she knew how deeply he felt.

She looked away, trying to control the emotion running though her. He immediately cupped her face and lifted her eyes back to his. Her hand still on his chest, he leant to her ear and whispered

"Light my fire Sam"

She knew precisely what he meant, and without hesitation lifted her lips to meet his. At that moment the world stopped and they both felt the eruption of power that the kiss held. Never had either experienced such intense feelings. Any doubts, fears or pain were destroyed and what was left was strong and true. As he forced himself to pull away he whispered the words she was waiting for.

"I love you Sam"

"I love you too Jack"

Both made silent promises to the other as their eyes met once more. This was right; this was what they had both been waiting for all their lives.

Suddenly Sam laughed, instantly confusing Jack. She hid her face in his chest as she tried to control her giggles.

"What? I've told you before about giggling, but I didn't think that this was an occasion where I'd have to reissue the warning Sweetheart"

The endearment caught her off guard and her pulse quickened once more as she instantly sobered.

"I'm sorry, Jack. It's just that they were right."

"Who?"

She squashed a grim once more at the now infamous "I'm confused" look that crossed his relaxed, now boyish face.

"I think I have a few explanations to make..."

His audible sigh of relief made her laugh once more. He read her eyes and made a command decision.

"I don€ '²t care, it can wait. I have told you no giggling. Now you must take your punishment."

With that he took he lips in another explosive kiss that left her thinking of nothing more than the man she loved. All explanations about setting him up would be made later.

Much later.



The End.

I CRAVE FEEDBACK!