samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers- None

I own nothing!


I looked up at the General,

"I don't know what happened, Sir. We were just doing what we normally do and then out of blue, we were under enemy fire."

"Understood." He replied.

"Any word on Carter?" I asked.

"Yes, Doctor Fraiser said she is stable and is awake." I nodded,

"Is there anything else, Sir?"

"You're dismissed." I walked out and headed to the infirmary.

----------

There was an explosion behind us.

"Daniel! What the hell! I thought you said this was a safe planet!" I yelled at Daniel.

"I thought it was!" He yelled back.

"Carter, dial us up!" I commanded. When there was no reply, I looked back.

"Carter!" Still no reply.

"Carter, where the hell are you!?" I asked her over the radio. When she didn't reply I got worried.

"Daniel and Teal'c, go through the gate and keep it open!" Daniel was dialing Earth while I ran back to the woods we came from. I tripped over something. When I got up, I looked at it. It was Carter's P90.

"Carter!" I yelled. I looked around and saw blonde hair in the mix of the green. I ran over to her.

"Carter!" I yelled at her. Her eyes were closed. Her usually pink lips were now the color of her pale face.

"Carter wake up," I pleaded. I brushed hair out of her eyes.

"Come on Sam. Wake up!" She moaned and her eyes fluttered open for a minute,

"Go with out me, Sir."

"Can't do that Carter."

"Jack," She placed a hand on my arm, "save yourself. Go. Please." She had tears running down her cheeks. Her voice was weak and shaky. I took her pretty face in my hands,

"I am not leaving you Sam. I have lost too much already." I picked her delicate body in my arms and ran back to the Gate. It was still open so I ran through. On the other side I yelled for a medical team.

It was going to be a long debriefing.

----------

I walked in the infirmary and looked for Sam. I ran into the Doc.

"Where's Carter?" I asked.

"Over there," She pointed to closed curtains.

"What's wrong with her?"

"She has a pretty bad cut on her leg, took a good hit to the head, but she'll be fine in about a week."

I nodded and headed in that direction. I opened the curtain and there lay my beautiful Sam. I pulled up a chair and sat down.

"Hey, kiddo. How ya feeling?" I asked her gently. Her blue eyes fluttered open and she gave me a faint smile,

"I've been better."

"You took a pretty good hit."

"I know." I looked her over. The color had returned to her lips, but she still looked pale.

"I was worried about you." I said.

"Why?" She asked.

"Well, when you didn't answer me, I assumed something worse happened to you. And it almost did." I replied honestly.

"You would've felt the same way if it happened to Daniel or Teal'c." She said.

"Yeah, but I was feeling something else. That I've never felt before." She looked at me.

"Sir," She said. I knew she knew what I was talking about.

"Sam. I can't deny it anymore." I looked back up at her and tears were glistening in her baby blues.

"But we can't." she said quietly.

"Then I'll retire."

"We need you."

"I need you," I said. She looked down at the hospital bed blanket.

"Don't you feel the same way anymore?" I asked. She looked up at me and stayed silent. I stood up from the chair and put it back to where it was.

"Well, I'm glad you're feeling better, Major."

"Jack, please." She begged. I looked at her and then walked out of the room.

----------

We had downtime until Sam was able to go through the Gate again. I stayed at home, with a beer in my hands at all times. I was crushed. The woman of my dreams used to love me, now she doesn't. When I left the room I went straight home. It wasn't until about a week and a half later that I had company. I was sitting in my chair, drinking a beer, playing chess against myself, when the doorbell rang.

I sighed and went to open the door. When I opened it I was shocked. Sam stood there looking at me.

"Are you gonna let me come in or just let me stand here?" She said. I stepped aside and let her pass.

"Beer?" I asked.

"No thank you." She said.

"What can I do to help you," She looked at me, "Major." I added at the end.

"We need to talk, Sir."

"Talk about what?"

"We never finished that conversation in the infirmary." She said.

"Look, Carter, you don't have to say anything. I understand."

"No, I don't think you do."

"I do. You've got your whole life ahead of you. You don't want some old, beaten down soldier on your hands. I underst-" I didn't get to finish because a pair of soft, full, sweet, tasty lips were on mine. She grabbed my head and kissed me deeper. She pulled back and looked at me,

"No, you don't."

"I guess not."



End Notes: End?
Let me know if you want more! :)