samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter two

At the designated time, SG1 was in the gate room with ‘FRED’ loaded with the things that they would need to take with them. When the wormhole was formed, they heard,

“SG1, you have a go.”

“Ok, campers, move out.”

Daniel and Teal’c went up the ramp and walked through the gate to the other side. Sam moved ‘FRED’ up the ramp and through the gate with her and Jack behind it. When they stepped onto the other side, they looked around before walking over to the building that SG5 had described to Daniel. When they got there and walked in, they saw the device for the first time.

"Whoa, now that is big," Jack said when they saw the device in the middle of the room. It was actually three times bigger than the one Nirti had used the year before.

"Well, Daniel you do your thing. Carter, same with you. Teal'c and I will check this place out. Keep in radio contact."

"Yes, Sir."

Daniel was translating while Sam was looking over the device for the next few hours. When the sun was setting, Jack walked into where they were working.

“Carter, Daniel come and get something to eat and drink. It will all be here tomorrow.”

“Jack.”

“Daniel, you need some sleep. Come on, you too, Carter.”

They sorted their things out then followed Jack out to where Teal’c was. They saw the two tents set up and a fire going. Daniel got himself a cup of coffee while Sam went off to the trees. When she returned, Jack passed her a cup of coffee.

“Thanks, Sir.” She sat next to him.

“Any luck with the translations Daniel?” Sam asked.

“Yes. Jack I need to stay here longer.”

“How much longer?”

“At least another four or five days.”

“What about you Carter?”

“Same here, Sir. Since there are more large devices, we will need some help.”

“Ok. I’ll give Hammond a call tomorrow. Tonight, I’ll take first watch, then Carter, Teal’c and Daniel last.”

”Ok. So what is for dinner? I’m starved,” Daniel asked.

“MREs, of course, in your favourite flavour: Chicken!”

“I should have known!” They got their own dinners and talked for the next hour before deciding to get some rest.

After a few hours, Jack woke Sam up for her watch.

“Carter.”

“Mmm” she said, moaning.

“Carter, wake up.” Sam sat up.

“Sir, is everything alright?”

“Yeah, sorry for disturbing you and your dream.” He tapped his watch. He had turned on his flash light so she could see him.

“Oh, right. Sorry.”

“I’ll wait for you outside.”

“Yes, Sir.” He crawled out of the tent and walked back to the fire and waited for Sam.

When she crawled out couple of minutes later, she walked over to the trees and then returned. Jack passed her a cup of coffee.

“Thanks.”

“Night, Carter.”

“Night, Sir.” He crawled into the tent for the night. When Sam’s watch was over, Teal’c crawled out of his and Daniels tent and walked over to Sam. She passed him a cup of tea which he preferred instead of coffee.

“Thank you, Major Carter.”

“You’re welcome, Teal’c. I’m off to bed, good night.”

“Sleep well.” Sam walked over and quietly crawled into her tent.

“Hey.”

“Sorry, if I woke you.”

“It’s ok.” Sam took off her boots and jacket before climbing into her sleeping bag.

“Night, Sir.”

“Night, Sam.”

When they both awoke, the sun was up. After they put on their boots and jackets, they crawled out of their tent to see Daniel pouring himself a cup of coffee while Teal’c was cooking breakfast.

“Morning, Daniel, Teal’c.”

“Morning, Jack, Sam.”

“Breakfast is ready.”

“Thanks, Big Guy.”

Teal’c passed them their food, while Sam got Jack and herself cups of coffee. They all sat and ate while they talked.

“I did some more translating this morning, and from what I could work out, it talks about ‘two in one’.”

“What, the device?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know, could be.”

“Ok. Carter did you get any energy readings from it?”

“There are none, Sir. It needs some sort of power source for it to work.”

“What about a naquadah reactor, Sam?” Daniel asked.

“I was thinking the same thing.” She turned to the colonel.

“Sir, when you talk to the general…”

“I know, I’ll ask for one.”

“Thanks, Sir.” They had finished their breakfast and cleaned up ten minutes later.

Sam and Daniel returned to what they had been doing the day before, while Teal’c and Jack checked out some of the other buildings. All they found was more writing. When they returned to their camp, Jack pulled them away from their work for lunch.

“Daniel, I think you will need more than five days. Teal’c and I have found more writing.” Daniel eyes lit up.

“More? Where?”

“Later. After lunch, I’ll go and give Hammond a call. Is there anything you guys need from home?”

“Just the usual, Sir.”

“Ok. Well, I’m off. I’ll be back soon.”

“Yes, Sir.”

Jack got up, with a groan, and walked to the Stargate and then dialled Earth. After he finished talking to General Hammond, he returned to find Daniel and Sam working again.

“Teal’c, let’s go get some fire wood for tonight. At least it will give us something to do.”

“Indeed.”

“Don’t worry, I asked Hammond to send a pack of cards through, along with some other things so we won’t get bored.”

“Thank you, O’Neill.”

“Any time, Big Guy. I’ll go let Carter and Daniel know.” He walked over to where they were working.

“Carter.” She was looking over the controls when Jack called out. She looked up and smiled.

“Sir.”

“Teal’c and I are going to gather some wood. Hammond will be sending the things we need.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I’ll come and check on you two within the hour.” Sam nodded then returned to what she was doing. Jack watched her for a few seconds before walking out of the building.

An hour later, Jack checked on both Sam and Daniel. They were still as busy as ever, so he went to continue gathering firewood. Two hours later Jack heard the gate activate.

"Teal’c, Carter, Daniel, we got company.”

Daniel and Sam looked at each other, and then they put their things down and ran out to get their weapons. They then ran over to the trees and they saw both Teal’c and Jack on the other side of the gate protected by more trees. When the wormhole formed, they stayed hidden until they heard over their radios,

“SG1 this is Stargate Command, do you copy?”
.
“Yes, Sir. We read you loud and clear,” Jack said into his radio. They all relaxed.

“Colonel, I’m sending SG2, Dr Coombs, and Dr Felger through to you.” Daniel heard Sam groan. He turned and looked at her.

“Ok, Sir. Send them through.” They all stepped out from the trees and headed toward the Stargate.

“Sam, are you ok?”

“No, I’ve got a real bad feeling something bad is going to happen,”

“What do you mean?” By that time they were with Jack and Teal’c, who also heard what Sam said.

“Felger.”

“Carter?” He looked at her.

“Sir, we both know what he’s like.”

“He’s a scientist, like you.”

“Sir, who was the one who created the DHD virus?”

“Felger?”

“Yes. Who was the one who destroyed the device SG8 brought back last year and he accidentally destroyed it when I told him not to touch it?”

“Felger.”

“Who was the one who caused the acid spill on level twenty?”

“Ok, ok. I get the picture.” He waved his hands in front of them.

“You’re right, Carter, this is going to be a nightmare… I’ll leave SG2 to watch over them while we are here.”

“Sir, you know that Colonel Ferretti won’t like that. He hates Felger.” Jack smiled then the two doctors stepped through the gate and smiled at them.

“Payback can be sweet major,” he whispered to Sam.

She giggled knowing that a month earlier SG2 had played a practical joke on SG1, on April 1st for April Fools’ Day. When Jack found out SG2 were the culprits, he said,

“Ferretti, revenge can be sweet.”

“How are you going to get your revenge, Jack?”

“I’ll think of something.” Then he walked away.

Jack thought back to that day, now he could have his revenge.

Then they saw a ‘FRED’ came through the gate; by that time, Felger and Coombs had reached the bottom of the steps. They all noticed that Felger was grinning at them.

“Colonel O’Neill, it’s good that we will be working together again.” Felger said.

“I didn’t have much of a choice now did I?”

“You’re funny.” Then SG2 walked through the gate and it shut down.

They walked down the steps just as ‘FRED’ completed its trip down the steps.

“Colonel, General Hammond sent us as back up and we brought the things that you asked for.”

“Good. Come on let’s get you guys set up then take it from there.” They walked to the camp where SG2 started unpacking.

“Major, can we look at the device?” Coombs asked.

“Nope, not yet… Colonel, I’m heading back to the building.”

“Ok.” Then Daniel and Sam walked back to the temple and continued their work.

“Damn, we should have stayed back at the camp site,” Sam said.

“Why?”

“Oh, I just want to see SG2’s faces when the colonel tells them that they would be babysitting Felger and Coombs the whole time we are here,” she said smiling.

“Sam care to explain?”

“Just before your return, SG2 played some practical jokes on us. The colonel found out it was SG2.”

“Teal’c told me what happened.” Then he smiled.

“Payback?”

“Can be a bitch.” she said smiling. Then they both laughed.

“You’re right, Sam, we should have stayed.” They continued in to the building and went their separate ways smiling.

Meanwhile, Jack was talking to SG2 and the two doctors.

"Ferretti, you and SG2 are babysitting these two egg heads while we are here.” He thumbed toward the two scientists.

“Jack, you’re joking!” Lou Ferretti exclaimed. Jack walked past him and patted him on the shoulder.

“Payback can be a bitch, Lou, and you know that… Teal’c let’s go and do another perimeter check and leave these guys to get set up.”

“Jack, you can’t do that to us.”

“Oh, yes, I can. Remember last month? Remember what I said?” he called out over his shoulder as he and Teal’c walked away.

“Colonel, what is Colonel O’Neill talking about?”

“An April Fools’ joke.”

He turned to his men. “This is going to be a long five days. Let’s get our gear set up.” They worked to get their tents set up and ended up helping the two doctors. Then they got all their other things organised. When done they looked around.

“Ok, now what?”

“Well, we’re going to go and give Major Carter a hand.”

“Major Carter?” Lou called over his radio.

“Yes, Colonel?”

“The two doctors want to give you a hand. Shall I send them to you?”

“Sure. Where’s Colonel O’Neill?”

“I’m here Carter. Teal’c and I are doing a perimeter check.”

“Ok. Colonel Ferretti bring them over with the generator.”

“Ok, Major.” He looked at two of his men.

“Ok, let’s carry this generator over for the Major.”

He went along with his two men who were moving the generator to the building. When they walked inside, they saw the large device for the first time.

“Over here guys,” Sam said. They set it down next to the control panel as Sam had indicated.

“Thanks. This way.” They followed Sam into another building.

“Ok. You two can check out these devices.” Then she walk back to the door and stopped by Lou.

“Carter, are you sure you want to leave them with those devices?” Sam turned and looked at the two doctors then back to Lou.

“It’s ok. They are safe. Have fun guys.” She was walking out when she heard,

“She’s been hanging around Colonel O’Neill too long.”

“I heard that, Colonel,” she called out.

Sam walked back into the main building to see Teal’c and Jack there.

“Where are they?” Jack asked.

“Over in the third building. Don’t worry, it’s safe.”

“Good. So how is it coming along?”

“I’m going to be taking the control panel off and looking at what’s inside”

“Ok.”

Over the next five days, they all kept busy. SG2, Jack and Teal’c had been taking turns doing perimeter checks, collecting fire wood, and organising the supplies, equipment and books that been sent from the SGC.

On the third day Sam was ready to power up the device by using the naquadah reactor as the power source. She had to have the reactor running on full power to make it work.

On the fifth day Sam was checking out a reading that was coming from the middle of the floor. She had Felger check the reading at the same time from the control panel. Jack walked in to see how thing were going.

“Carter?” She looked up.

“Sir?”

“Is that wise?” He looked at Felger then back to Sam.

“Yes, Sir.” He walked over to her.

“Carter, are you sure?”

“Yes, Sir. I disconnected the wires from the control panel to the reactor this morning.”

“Ok. So how is it going?”

“Well, it’s good so far. Any word from Thor?”

“Nothing. I think the Asgard might still have replicator problems.”

“Could be.”

While they were talking, Felger noticed one of the wires was disconnected so he put it back to where it was before. When he connected, it there was a spark, which caused him to get an electrical shock. This threw him against the wall. When he was thrown, he accidentally knocked over the generator that caused it to turn on at full power.

Two members of SG2 saw what happened to Felger. They were shocked to see a shield go up around Sam and Jack. They stopped talking when they heard the noise and looked over to Felger.

“Crap!” They saw the shield got up.

“Turn it off!” Sam yelled. One of the team members ran over to turn it off.

“I can’t, Major. It’s jammed.”

“Discount the wires.” He tried to disconnect them and was also electrocuted. Then other SG member ran over and tried.

“Shoot the wires,” Jack yelled so the guy stood back and drew his 9mm out and fired it once. The bullet hit the wire and bounced off the floor hitting the wall. He fired again but missed, it hit the floor ricocheting off the floor hitting the wall and ended up in the control panel, so he tried again hitting another wire, that bullet also hit the floor and ricocheted.

“Stop!” Sam said. Then they all heard a humming sound coming from the control panel. It was starting to get louder.

“Get out!”

“Carter?” He turned and looked at her.

“If that is going to blow, we are safe, they’re not.” He turned to them.

“Get out of here.” By that time, Felger and the lieutenant were on their feet.

“Get the others and go back to Earth. Wait twenty-four hours, and then try to dial back. Go and that’s an order.”

“Sorry, Major, Colonel,” Felger said before running out of the room following the others.

Jack turned to Sam. “Now what?”

They looked up when they saw the light above them change.

“Oh crap,” Sam said. She looked at Jack.

“Carter?”

“This is what happened before Nirrti altered my DNA.”

“That’s not good.” They froze and they saw everything happening to them.

They were looking at each other with pain in their eyes. They felt the sensation of pins and needles throughout their bodies, they could feel themselves been pulled back and forth but they knew that they weren’t moving.

They couldn’t breathe, and then the pain got worse as they could hear the humming getting louder and louder. There was a big bang then, suddenly, everything went quiet. They both closed their eyes and lost consciousness.