samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: Carter058@aol.com

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognized characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Authors Notes: This isn't my story. I am posting it for a friend that gave consent to post it for her. She doesn't have a computer, but if you do have any kind of feedback, I promise she will get it.


PROLOGUE

"Get out! Just get the hell out of here."

"Sam…" he took a deep breath. He didn't know what to say. He stared into her eyes. She was staring back. Blinking back the tears he knew she wanted to cry. "Just listen to me.-"

"No. It's over. Just please…leave." her eyes were pleading with his.

"Just let me explain."

"You did. You were drunk. I understand."

"We had a fight that night. I knew it was my fault. I was trying to get rid of the guilt about what I said to you." she winced at the memory that was all to fresh in her head.

"Well, we seem to be doing that a lot lately. Maybe it's a sign that this isn't supposed to be. I'm sick of fighting, Jack. I just want it all to go away."

"Is that your way of saying it's over?" she just nodded. "I'm not giving up on us Sam. I don't care how hard I have to work to show you, but I'm not giving up." With that he walked out of her house. He heard the lock click and then her muffled cries through the door. `God, Sam. I'm sorry.'

MONTHS LATER

"….I'm glad everything went all right on PX3-712. SG-1 has two weeks downtime. Dismissed." General George Hammond instructed SG- 1. He started walking out of the briefing room when he heard Major Samantha Carter say something. He stood in the doorway and listened to the conversation. SG-1 has been having problems, although on the missions they were perfectly fine, it just seemed to be when they were on base.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have…plans." Jack softly mumbled something. "What was that sir?"

"Nothing." he turned his attention back to Daniel and Teal'c, "Okay, my place at 1800 hours for poker. Daniel you're in charge of bringing the -"

"Sorry Jack. I'm going with Janet and Cassie to that new movie."

"Oh, Daniel. She asked me to ask you if she could take a rain check on that. Cassie got sick and can`t make it." Sam said and Daniel just shook his head.

"Well, space monkey looks like your free. Feel like bringing the beer? And none of that light stuff. You might not be able to go passed two beers, but some of us can."

"Yeah Jack, you proved that a couple of months ago."

"Daniel. Stop." Sam asked him placing a hand on his arm.

"No. I won't. I'm sorry Sam, but I'm sick of this whole thing."

"Daniel. Stop." she said a little more fierce.

"Sam-" Jack started to speak.

"I don't want to hear it. Daniel, drop the subject. It's over. Sir, don't try to say anything. Nothing you say will change my mind. Actions speak louder than words. Now if you'll excuse me I have work to do."

General Hammond walked away more confused to why and what they were arguing about than before the disagreement took place. He couldn't have his flagship team in turmoil, especially if an argument took place out in the field and they were caught off guard. He went into his office and picked up the red phone…

1 WEEK LATER

"Colonel O'Neill to General Hammond's office…Colonel O'Neill to General Hammond's office…" Five minutes later General Hammond heard a knock on his door. "Come in."

"You wanted to see me, Sir?" Then Jack saw the young male standing off to the side.

"Yes. Sit down Colonel." Jack took his seat and glanced once more and the younger man. "Colonel O'Neill I would like you to meet Lieutenant Brad Marranca. He is the newest addition to the SGC facility and the newest addition to SG-1. He is also a scientist-" Jack cut him off before he could continue. "With all due respect, Sir, SG-1 is just fine. We don't really need another man on the team."

"Lieutenant Marranca is replacing Major Carter on SG-1, Colonel."

"Why?"

"I need her in the labs right now. This is a critical time and I need the best scientists I have in the labs trying to figure out the new technology we bring back through the gate."

"Did she ask for this, Sir?"

"No, Colonel she didn't. This is not optional it's an order. Major Carter as of 1900 hours is off SG-1. Tell her to come to my office and I will tell her."

"No, Sir. I'll tell her. If she has any questions though I'll send her your way." he paused and took a breath, "Permission to speak freely, Sir?" When Hammond nodded he continued. "This sucks ass."

"I know and I'm sorry, but this is the way it has to be. Dismissed." With that Jack left Hammonds office and down to the lab level to talk to Carter. When he got to Sam's lab she was so engrossed in her do-hickey that she didn't notice he was there. He took the opportunity to really look at her. She had dark circles under her eyes and it look like she lost some weight. Her eyes lost sparkle and she looked as if she aged years within the last few months. When he was done with his brief analysis he cleared his throat. She jumped a little.

"Sir,"

"I need to talk to you Carter."

"Is something wrong Sir?"

"Yes, but before I continue I would like to say that I think it sucks and I tried to fight it."

"Fight what?"

"Sorry, but…" he paused, and took a deep breath and finished his sentence. "You're off SG-1."

"You son of a bitch. You did this, didn't you?" she spat after she recovered from shock.

"No, I didn't. Hammond said it was because he needs his best scientists in labs working on the technology. If you have any more questions Hammond told me to send you to him." he looked at her as her head was down resting on her hands. "Sam you have to believe me, I had nothing to do with this. You on the team was the only part of you I had left. I wouldn't want to get rid of it."

"Why?"

"Because I still love you. I made a mistake-"

"No. I meant why is this happening? Why-" she stopped herself when she realized what he said. She looked him in the eyes. They eyes that she could get lost in forever. She knew that moment that they had to talk about what happened. She had the perfect excuse. "Can you come by my house tonight. You left some of your stuff there."

"Sam are you okay with this? What am I thinking? Of course you're not okay with this. I want you to know and believe me when I say I had nothing to do with this." She looked him in the eyes and saw the sincerity there and knew he wasn't lying.

"I believe you. I have to go…talk to Janet." with that she left the room stopping at the door. She looked back at him, "Come to my house about 1800 to pick your stuff up. Okay?" He just nodded and she left her lab. Leaving him with nothing but technology he didn't understand and his own thoughts.

LATER THAT DAY

Sam sat on her couch waiting for Jack to come. She changed into a pair of blue jeans and a baby blue shirt. At 1805 her doorbell rang. She opened the door.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself." he replied.

"Come on in."

"Uh…maybe I should just stay out here."

"Jack, I need to talk to you. I'd rather talk to you inside. I have nosey neighbors, I don't want them to know about my personal life." He walked passed her and sat down on the couch. "Do you want anything to drink? Coffee?"

"Sure." She went to the kitchen and didn't come back until the coffee was done. She needed the extra time to think again and go over what she was going to say. She handed him his coffee and sat next to him on the couch. "You don't have any of my things, do you?"

"Actually, I do, but I want to talk to you." she stared down at her coffee. After a couple minutes of silence, Jacks voice filled in the void.

"So speak Carter."

"I want to speak as Sam and Jack. Not Colonel and Major. Not Carter and O'Neill." When he nodded she continued, "I'm sorry. After you left that night I kicked you out I realized that I couldn't blame you for what you did. I'm not saying that it was right, but I know at that time I was withdrawing myself from you. I was running away from what really happened." Her eyes were brimming with tears. "Why?"

"I was ashamed." he moved closer to her.

"Sam, women have miscarriages all the time. There is nothing to feel ashamed about." She shook her head and stood up. Her back facing him.

"You don't understand. I was ashamed because I was relieved it happened." "What?"

"I'm not ready to be a mom. I wasn't even supposed to get pregnant. We started fighting more and I new the root of the problem was my miscarriage. I know how much you love children. The fact that I don't want children at this point in my life…" she let it hang. There was silence in the room, both thinking about where to go next. "I'll go get your stuff." She walked out of the room in the direction of her bedroom. Jack decided to go after her since she was there for a while.

"Sam…" She opened her door with his sweatshirt in her hand. Jack opened his mouth to say something, but his cell phone rang. They just stared at each other until Sam spoke,

"You should answer that."

"O'Neill?…What?…" Sam was interrupted from his conversation by her own phone ringing. They got off their phones at the same time. "We should get to the base."

"Yeah. Here's your sweatshirt."

"Keep it. I know how much you like it."

With that said Jack and Sam grabbed their coats and left the house. Sam getting into her Volvo and Jack into his truck.

~~~~

They got on base and went strait to the briefing room. Daniel, Teal'c, General Hammond and a lady sitting in a chair with her back towards them were there.

"General? What's going on?" That's when the lady in the chair turned around.

"Fair day, Jack." He just stared at her. He couldn't get his voice to work. Sam looked at Jack and then at Daniel. Her and Daniel's eyes caught. She didn't like what she saw in them. Pity? Pain? Shock? What did he know. General Hammond filled the silence. "Why don't we give them a few minutes to talk." She saw Jack look at her before she left.

"Sam, we still need to finish our conversation." she just nodded and walked out. He took a minute to compose himself. "Laira, what are you doing here?"

"I've come to ask you once more to rejoin us. Our planet is in pieces and there is someone I would like you to meet. She is in what you call your infirmary getting checked over." "Fine. Let's go." They made the trip to the infirmary in silence. Jack thinking about what is going through Sam's mind, Laira thinking about how Jack will react. Finally they made it to the infirmary. Janet was looking someone over on one of the beds.

"Dr. Fraiser, I have returned for Jacquelyn."

"I just finished on her tests. She seems like a healthy little girl.-" Jack cut her off. "This is what…who you wanted to show me."

"She is yours, Jack. If it were possible to prove it, I would."

"We have tests."

"Do it. If you doubt me, I will understand. I would not be hurt or think less of you. You are my daughters father." Jack looked at Laira then at Janet.

"Uh…Janet? Can you run a paternity test on Jacquelyn?"

"Sure thing, Sir."

"Would you both give me time alone with her?" Janet just nodded and walked away.

"As you wish." Laira responded.

Jack didn't know how long he sat there with the little girl in his arms. She had his brown hair and blue eyes. He didn't know where the blue eyes came from, maybe Laira. All his family had brown or hazel. He heard footsteps coming toward him. He tore his gaze away from his daughter that was almost asleep in his arms. Their eyes met. The child moved in his arms. Jacquelyn opened her eyes and stared at Sam while she started to speak.

"Sir, I was wondering if you seen Janet?" she asked. Glad that her voice stayed firm.

"She went to get some test results." Jacquelyn started fussing in Jacks arms. She held out her arms to Sam. Sam just stared at the little girl. She looked about two years old. Brown hair, Jacks original color when she first met him, before it started turning gray. She really couldn't tell what the little girls eye color was from her distance. She looked back at Jack who was staring at her.

"Uh…could you just tell her to give me a call in my lab?" she started walking away. The little girl started getting tears in her eyes.

"Sam! We still need to talk." She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Well, Sir, you know where to find me." She walked away. In the corridor she could hear the little girl crying for her mommy. She walked to her lab deep in thought about where it left everything. About thirty minutes later her phone rang. "Carter?" "Hey Sam. I'm ready for that talk now."

"Okay. I'll be there in five minutes."

"Maybe I should come there."

"It's okay, Janet. I want to get out of my lab anyway." They said their `see you in a few minutes'. Sam made to the infirmary in record time. She walked right into Janet's office, ignoring that Jack was still there, this time not only with the little girl, but also Laira. "Hey, Janet." Janet put down the file she was working on. Before Janet could reply a hello she continued, "That's his daughter, isn't it?" Janet just nodded then cleared her throat.

"How'd your talk go with him?"

"I told him. Before he could say anything our cells rang. I don't know how he felt. At first he thought I was just ashamed because I miscarried then I explained. We got interrupted after that."

"I know how you still feel about him, Sam. I know he feels the same way-"

"She had his child, Janet." Sam interrupted.

"That doesn't mean he doesn't love you. Look at his eyes."

"He's not going to stay here with me, Janet. Not when he has a family. Something I don't want to give him."

"That's not the only thing that matters to him, Sam."

"Maybe not, but it should be. I don't want to be the reason he misses his child growing up. I couldn't do that even if I did want a family."

"What if he wants to stay here?" Sam looked up at Janet, tears brimming her eyes.

"That's his choice, but I'm not going to ask him or encourage it. He deserves happiness."

There was a compatible silence. The silence was soon broken by cries. The doctor part of Janet taking over, she opened her office door and walked over to the toddler.

"What happened? Is she okay?"

"Just cranky, Doc. She might be teething. Charlie started around this age." "She has been like this for weeks." Laira supplied the information. Sam stood in the doorway watching the scene in silence.

"Well, I don't see any of her teeth starting to break the gums yet, but it's still possible."

"Janet, I'll talk to you later. I need to discuss that further with you." When Sam said that, Janet turned and walked to her.

"Are you alright, Sam?" she asked.

"Fine. We just didn't get to the part that I really wanted to talk about."

Jacquelyn all of a sudden stopped crying when she heard Sam's voice and seen her. Once again she reached out her arms to Sam.

"You know, that's the second time she's done that."

"Done what, Colonel?" Janet asked confused.

"Whenever Sam comes in her, Jacquelyn wants to be held by her. When Sam disappears she gets fussy."

"Hmm…" Janet was at a loss for words.

"Jack…"

"Excuse me…" Sam and Laira said at the same time. Sam walked out of the infirmary.

"Sam!" Janet tried to call to her, but she just kept walking. Laira continued.

"Jack, I would like for you to return to Edora with me and your daughter." He pulled his hands away from hers, he didn't know when she grabbed them. He saw the hurt in her eyes.

"I need time to think about it. I have important stuff here. I just can't give up. My job, my friends, my family."

"We are your family, Jack." Laira protested.

"Laira, you have to understand, if I go with you it would be so that I would be there for Jacquelyn and that's it."

"I think I'll let you two talk in private."

"It's okay, Janet. You can stay."

"No its okay. I really need to go talk to Sam anyways." she got to the door when he continued.

"Is she okay, Janet?"

"I think you two really need to talk." Jack got up from his seat and walked over to Janet.

"What's wrong with her?"

"It's not my place to tell you. Just go talk to her. Take Jacquelyn with you, see if she does the same thing. Maybe it's just a fluke. In the mean time I have some work to do." Jack just nodded as Janet walked away.

When Janet got to her office she called one of the nurses in to give them a sample of blood to go do test. Meanwhile Jack made his way to Sam's lab. Her lab door was closed so he softy knocked.

"Come in." She looked up when she heard the door open.

"Sir-" She was cut off my a squeal by Jacquelyn. She started kicking and Jack put her down. She sat there for a moment taking in her surroundings. Jack and Sam continued talking.

"We need to finish that talk, Sam."

"Uh…okay. Have a seat."

"Look, I know my daughter changes everything, but I still love you." He took a breath and looked at Jacquelyn he was making her way toward Sam. "Laira asked me to go to Edora with her."

"Really?"

"Tell me that you still love me and I will stay."

"I can't do that."

"So you don't love me." She took a breath.

"I didn't say that. I didn't say that I love you either. I can't say anything that will sway your decision."

"What?"

"Jack, you have a chance at a family again. I don't want to say or do anything that will make you resent me in years to come."

"First, it wouldn't be a family. I would be going there for Jacquelyn and not for Laira. I don't love her.-" Their conversation was interrupted by the phone. "Don't people know how to leave people alone for more than five minutes so they can talk?" Jack asked. He was rewarded with a small smile from Sam. The first real smile in weeks. She answered her phone, "Carter?…Hold on." She handed Jack the phone.

"What now?" he muttered. When Jack was on the phone Jacquelyn made her way to Sam. She lifted her arms, "Up. Up." Jacquelyn kept repeating that until Sam finally gave in a picked her up. Setting her down on the edge of the lab desk. The little girl grabbed at Sam's shirt. "Mommy!" She stared at the little girl wide eyed. Jack also heard it. He dropped the phone and walked over standing next to where Sam was sitting on her stool. Jacquelyn continued, "Daddy!" holding Jacks shirt with her other hand. She looked back at Sam, "Mommy!" Sam was the first to correct her. "No. Daddy." Sam said pointing to Jack, "Sam." she said pointing to herself. Jacquelyn looked confused but continued.

"Mommy."

"Sam."

"Mommy." Jacquelyn's voice started to quiver, tears forming in her eyes. "Jack, help me here." Sam pleaded with him.

"I don't know. It's kind of cute." he said with a smile. The look on Sam's face told him she was serious. He threw up his hands in defeat. "Okay. Okay. Come on, Jacquelyn. Let's go meet Uncle Daniel and Uncle Teal'c." When he go to grab her she clung to Sam.

"What's her name?"

"Jacquelyn, why?"

"No…no reason." she looked down at Jacquelyn, "Come on sweetie, go with your daddy." Finally the child gave in. Going into Jacks arms yet never taking her eyes off of Sam.

"So, what does the name Jacquelyn mean to you?"

"Nothing."

"You wouldn't have asked in that tone if it didn't mean anything."

"Jacquelyn was the name of my mother. I told myself after she died that if I had a little girl, then I would name her that. Weird coincidence."

"Yeah." Jack muttered. "You really have a thing for kids, Sam.-"

"Jack…please don't."

"I'm just saying. I think you would make a great mom. Look at Jacquelyn, she won't let you leave her side."

"I have to go. I need to talk to General Hammond."

"Yeah, me too. I guess Laira wants to get back to Edora. I'm thinking about going there just for about a week to see how things are." Sam looked down and spoke. "I hope everything works out."

"Sam, I don't like Laira like that. I'm going for Jacquelyn, that's it."

"I really have to go. I'll see you when you get back, Sir."

She walked out of her lab and Jacquelyn started fussing again. Sam made her way to Hammonds office. About forty five minutes later Sam walked out of Hammonds office no better than when she left. She decided to go talk to Janet about it.

"Hey Janet."

"Sam. Hi. How you doing?"

"I've uh…come to say goodbye."

"Goodbye?"

"I'm going out of town for a while."

"All right. Spill. What's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong. I just need to get away from everything."

"Everything as in?"

"At least a 50 miles radius from the Stargate and everything affiliated with it."

"What did he do?"

"Nothing. It's just…when he came to talk to me, the phone rang and Jacquelyn came over and started calling me mommy. He said I have a thing for kids since she wouldn't let me out of her sit." she paused. "I guess he's going back for about a week to see how things go on Edora." Janet just nodded. There was a compatible silence. "Are you going to come back?"

"I have to. General Hammond wouldn't accept my transfer."

"Transfer?"

"There is a spot open in Washington. I'd be working on things brought back through the Stargate."

"Why don't you just stay in the lab?"

"I want to get away from here. From Colorado. Even if it is just for a little while."

"Just keep in touch, okay? How much leave did the General give you?"

"Four weeks."

"Are you going to tell him you'll be gone?"

"What's the point? He doesn't own me and I'll be back. I got to go. I have a plane to catch in two hours." Sam said wanting to end the discussion. She stood up from the chair and started walking out.

"Stay in touch. I swear if you don't call within the first week then I will call you every hour on the dot." "Okay, Janet." she said with a smile. "Thanks."

"What for?"

"For being my friend, the sister I never had. I'll stay in touch. I promise."

Sam walked out of the infirmary with tears brimming her eyes. She ran into a nurse on the way out. They both said "I'm sorry" and Sam helped her pick up the files the nurse dropped. Two hours later Sam was on a plane to Washington. She slept most the way there. Exhausted from everything that's been going on. When she got off the plane she went to the nearest hotel. She decided to give Daniel a call. After about seven rings she was about to hang up when she heard his out of breath voice on the other end.

"Jackson?"

Hey Daniel."

"Sam! Where are you? Jack wanted to say goodbye before he left."

"I don't feel like saying where I am right now. I just called to tell you I'd see you in a month. General gave me some leave instead of accepting my transfer."

"Transfer?"

"It doesn't matter now. I just wanted to tell you I'm doing alright and I probably wont be in touch for the next month. Bye."

"Sam-" Before Daniel could say another word, she hung up.

Janet was looking at the file. The same file she's been looking at for hours. The file that could be good in some eye and bad in another. She heard a knock at the door that brought her out of her thoughts.

"Colonel. Just the person I wanted to see."

"Where is she? Why did you want to see me?"

"If she is Sam, she took four weeks leave. Don't ask me where, she wouldn't say. I wanted to talk to you about some results I got." she said holding up the file. He nodded for her to continue so she did. "When Jacquelyn first came here you asked me to do a paternity test. As you know, Jacquelyn is 99.9% your daughter. Then you brought to my attention how she was clinging to Sam, not letting Sam out of her sight, calling her mommy. Any normal thing a toddler would do."

"But?"

"But, then I started thinking about when Laira first came. She looked uncomfortable with Jacquelyn. And that's another thing, how did Laira come up with a perfectly common earth name? So I ran a test, I didn't tell anyone just in case I was wrong. I ran a paternity test with a blood sample I had from Sam. The results are back and Jacquelyn is 99.9% Sam's daughter also. I'm guessing from an alternate universe."

"Excuse me." Jack said bluntly.

"Colonel?"

"I'm going to find my daughter and ask Laira what she thinks she doing. Oh and if Sam makes contact don't tell her anything. Just find out where she is so I can go to her."

Janet just nodded and slightly smiled at the determination not only in his voice, but also on his face.

He made a quick entrance into Laira's quarters.

"Jack, I must be getting back to Edora. I told Panyan I would not stay longer for 48 of your hours."

"What the hell do you think your doing?" he asked picking Jacquelyn up.

"What do you mean, Jack?"

"Doctor Fraiser ran a test proving that Jacquelyn is mine and Major Carter's. How'd you get her?"

"I was in the forest with Paynan and Daniel Jackson came through this mirror. He asked me if I knew a Colonel Jack O'Neill and a Major Carter. When I said yes he handed me Jacquelyn with paper work I was told to give to you. Jacquelyn was the right age to be ours. She should have been ours."

"I'm coming with you to Edora. I'm going to get the paperwork. When I leave don't ever try dialing again. Your code is going to be blocked out of the system meaning if you come through you will run into the iris and die."

"Jack, you must hear me out."

"No I don't. We leave in ten minutes." He walked out with Jacquelyn still in his arms. "Time to go see Hammond." he whispered in the girls ear which prompted her to let out a loud squeal. When he walked into Hammonds office, they were both surprised when Jacquelyn was the first to speak.

"Grandpa!" she giggled. The giggle that Jack hadn't heard in over a month.

"Colonel?" Hammond asked tearing him out of his thoughts of a certain Major.

"Permission to stay on Earth, Sir?"

"Why?"

So for the next hour Jack told General Hammond everything. From what happened between him and Sam to the conversation that they didn't quite finish. General Hammond shed some light on her feelings, but told him that he would definitely have to talk to Sam to get her version and all her emotions on the subject. Sam was settling nicely into her new home for the month. Well as nicely as someone can for a hotel. She needed this time away from everyone to figure out what she really wanted in life. A week went by and she still didn't know what she wanted. She was getting bored so she decided to head back to Colorado. The first thing she did was call Janet to tell her she was back. Then she went to the base to tell General she was ready to work.

"Oh and Sam?" Hammond said as she reached the door.

"Yes sir?"

"I'm having a little get together at my house on Sunday. Nothing big, just SG-1, Janet and Cassandra. I'd like you to come since technically you're on SG-1. In fact, since no new technology is coming back through the gate, how would you like to be back on SG- 1?"

"I would love it Sir. Thank you."

Sunday came around quickly. Sam was the last one to arrive and Hammonds house. Cassie was the first to run up to her and give her a hug.

"I missed you last Saturday."

"I know and I'm sorry. I was out of town."

"That's what mom said. It's okay, just promise you'll be on Earth next Saturday."

"I'll talk to the General." They continued their walk to the rest of the group in silence. After the hello's the Colonel walked into the house.

"Hamburgers are ready." Hammond yelled.

"I'd thought they'd never be done." Sam looked in the direction of the familiar voice and smiled.

"Dad!" she said walking over giving her father a hug.

"Hey kiddo. Just thought that I would spend a day on Earth." Her father and Hammond were caught up on conversation minutes later and Sam was talking to Janet when Jack came out of the house, Jacquelyn in his arms.

"What's going on, Janet?" Sam asked.

"Just listen." Jack walked up in front of Sam. Handing over the excited toddler to Janet he looked Sam in the eyes.

"Can I talk to you Sam?" She just nodded, not trusting her voice. They stood up walking further into the yard. Sam started the conversation.

"I thought you'd be staying on Edora."

"Change of plans, thanks to Janet."

"Janet?"

"Yep. She didn't like the way Laira was acting around Jacquelyn so she ran a test proving Jacquelyn wasn't Laira's." he pulled some papers from his back pocket.

"She's not Laira's?" Sam asked eyeing the papers.

"Seems that a Doctor Daniel Jackson came through a quantum mirror on Edora and asked Laira to give Jacquelyn to her parents in this reality. Jacquelyn is from another reality." he paused. "Janet ran a test with you blood proving that she is also your daughter. The other Daniel Jackson gave me her birth certificate and all other important documents we would need." Sam stopped walking. She felt her chest tighten. She had to get out of there. She turned around and started jogging. He grabbed her arm and turned her around when he caught up to her in front of the group. He searched her eyes. "Say something, Sam." she looked down. Then she looked at the little girl sitting on Janet's lap. She didn't want to discuss this in front of her friends and her dad. Especially her dad. She said the first thing that came to her mind.

"She isn't mine."

"Janet ran the tests four times. Genetically she is yours."

"And only genetically. Please let me go." He let her go, but blocked her path when she tried to walk around him. "Get out of my way."

"Tell me, Sam. What are you afraid of? What did that Samantha Carter get over that you haven't? Jacquelyn is like you. From her brain to her blue eyes to her giggle! That child deserves a mother."

"Then you should have stayed on Edora with Laira." When his momentary shock wore off from her statement he went to go after her when Jacob stopped him.

"Let me talk to her." And headed after his daughter. Sam was already starting her engine when she seen her dad emerge from the backyard.

"Not now, dad. I'll see you on the base when you head home." With that she started driving off. Jacob ran in front of her car making her stop.

"Samantha, you will talk to me."

"Just let me leave dad." He didn't reply. He just sat in the passenger seat. A silence fell over them until Jacob broke it.

"I leave for a couple of months and everything turned to hell. What happened?"

"A lot of things." "Well, if the grape vine at the base is accurate then you and Jack broke up. I've heard a lot of different reasons why though."

"I've heard them too." she replied solemnly.

"Which one is real?"

"About two weeks after you left I found out I was pregnant. Three weeks later I miscarried. After that our relationship only consisted of arguing. A month later I broke it off. About a month later I got reassigned to lab only. Jack and I talked about what happened. I'm surprised he doesn't hate me." she said blinking back the tears.

"Hate you?"

"When we talked, I told him I was ashamed when I miscarried because I was relieved it happened. I told him I didn't want to have children."

They continued talking. After two hours and a lot of tears cried, Jacob went back to the backyard and Sam went home.

Sam was home for about two hours before she heard a knock on the door. She walked to the door and opened it without bothering to see who was there. She was surprised at who she saw.

"Jack!" she said in shock. She looked at the sleeping Jacquelyn then back at Jack. "What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk."

"There is nothing to talk about."

"Cut the bullshit Carter. You know damn well we have to talk."

Against her better judgment she let them in. Once he laid Jacquelyn on the couch he sat down.

"What are you doing here?"

"I want you to tell me what's wrong. I want to fix what went wrong in our relationship."

"We cant fix our relationship."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want children."

"You keep saying that, but tell me why. Explain the reasons."

"What if I say I'll play an active roll in her life, will you leave it at that?"

"Give me a description of `active roll'"

"I'll be her mother she sees on weekends and evenings."

"She needs a full time mother."

"I cant do full time. At least not right now."

"So maybe after you get used to the idea?"

"Maybe." she paused, "Now if you don't mind I have things to do."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow on base." She walked him to the door.

"Bye Jack."

"Bye." He kissed her on the cheek and walked to his car. `I'm sorry for lying to you Jack.' she thought to herself as she closed her front door.

After he left Sam drove to the base and knowing that Hammond wasn't there, she put her resignation on his desk. She went to her quarters to pick up her few things and left. Never looking back. For the next couple of hours she packed up the important things. Called the landlord and told him in a month she would be moving out. She got in her car and started driving. Sam knew Jack would be pissed, hopefully he'll be mad enough to no look for her.

***

NEXT DAY AT THE BASE

"What?!"

"I'm sorry. When I came in today the letter was at my desk. I sent some SF's to her apartment and they said all necessities were gone. She also cancelled all her credit cards."

"Get a hold of Jacob. Tell him what's going on."

"Already done. I'll tell him in person though. Do you have any idea where she would go?"

"None. The only family she ever talked about was Jacob and Mark."

"That's about her whole family. Jacob's parents died before she was born and her mother's parents died a couple of years after her mother." Jack looked at him in shock. "Jacob and I go back. Sam used to call me Uncle George actually."

"Really?"

"Yep. Can you go tell SG-1 they are on downtime for 2 weeks until I can find a replacement."

"General, your not accepting the resignation, are you?"

"I've known her all her life, she's never been one to run away. But if and or when she comes back she will be court marshaled if she comes back past 2 weeks."

"Yes, sir."

~~~~~~~~

"You need an apartment right away?"

"Yes."

"Well, your in luck. A tenant just moved out 2 weeks ago. Utilities are included. It's only one bedroom. $350 a month. All together it is in good shape."

"I'll take it."

"Let me just get the paper wirk for you to sing and a key."

"Thanks."

She was waiting for the man to return when her cell rang. `Crap, I forgot to disconnect it.' Then she was glad she didn't because it was the only way to keep in touch with her father. She answered it, but didn't say anything.

"Sam…Sam, c'mon I know you picked it up." she inwardly sighed at the voice on the other end.

"What do you want?"

"To come back. Hammond gave you 2 weeks to come back, then you'll get a replacement."

"Tell him to get a replacement right away." She saw the guy coming back, "Look, Jack, I have to go. Tell my dad he can reach me at this number. I assume you already contacted him."

"Yep."

"Miss Carter, it's already, all you have to do is sign."

"Jack, I really need to go.

"Sam-"

"Jack I have to go."

"What about your promise?"

"I cant keep it. Maybe some day I'll explain, but not right now." She hung up before he could continue. After she signed, she moved her few things in.

"Now, the hard part." she said to herself. She picked up her phone and dialed the familiar number.

"Hello?" A lady's voice came over the phone.

"Hi Annie. It's Sam."

"How are you doing, honey?"

"Good. Is Emma there?"

"Yeah, you want to talk to her?"

"Actually, I need to talk with you first. How would you feel if I asked Emma if she wanted to live with me?"

"I was wondering how long it would take you. I was hoping it would be soon. don't get me wrong, she's an angel. I'm just getting to old. Here she is."

"Annie?"

"Yes, honey?"

"Thank you. For everything."

"No problem. Here she is."

"Mommy!"

"Hi sweetie. How are you?"

"Good. I miss you though."

"I miss you too. I have a question for you. How would you like to come and live with me?"

"Really?"

"Yep."

"When are you gonna come pick me up?"

"Let me work the details out with Annie, but probably tomorrow."

She talked to Annie for a little longer, working out the details. Sam then called the landlord and apologized for the inconvenience, but she would be moving out and she would give him a check tomorrow. He told her not to worry about it. Since she was hardly there for 2 days and didn't have to pay anything. The next day she went to pick up Emma. Sam gave Annie some money to ship the rest of her stuff to her house in Colorado. They were in the car driving back when Emma asked the one question Sam was dreading. "Mom, am I going to meet my daddy?"

"I don't know where your daddy is." Hopefully she would leave it at that. "That's okay. Maybe some day we could find him."

"Maybe." she paused, "How do you feel about siblings Emma?"

"I always wanted a little sister, but Annie said she was too old."

The rest of the ride was spent listening to children songs from Emma cassette. When they got back to Sam's place Emma went to bed and Sam called Janet.

"Hi, you reached Janet and Cassie. We cant answer the phone right now, but if you leave a message, one of us will call you back." Sam waited for the beep.

"Janet? You there? Okay, well when you get this message, call back. I'm back in town and I really need to talk to you. Thanks. Bye."

15 minutes later Sam's phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hey Sam. How you doing?"

"Good. Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure, anything."

"Can you get a hold of the guys and tell them to come to my place. Can you also get a hold of my father. You and Cassie come too."

"Well they aren't on any missions so how's Saturday?"

"That will be good." Just then Emma started yelling. "Look Janet, I have to go. I'll see you Saturday."

"Okay. Bye Sam."

"Bye." Sam hung up the phone and ran up to Emma's room. "Emma what's wrong?"

"Mommy."

"It's okay sweetie. Everything's okay." Sam stayed with Emma until she fell back asleep.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SATURDAY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Emma got used to her new home wonderfully. She was going to start her new school that Monday. Emma was in the backyard playing catch with herself when the doorbell rang. Sam tore her eyes away from her daughter to greet her first guest. It was Janet and Cassie. They gave Sam each a hug. Sam was about to offer them both something to drink when they heard the back door slam. Janet gave Sam a questioning look. "Mommy, my ball went in the yard over. Can I go get it?" Emma asked. Sam was looking at Emma so she didn't see the surprised look from Janet and Cassie mouth `mommy'

"Yeah." Sam looked at Cassie, "Cass, you want to go with her?"

"Sure, no problem."

"Can you guys stay in the backyard for a while? Get to know each other?"

"Sure." Cassie replied.

"So…" Janet said.

"So…" Sam repeated.

"I guess this is why you wanted us all to come over." Sam just nodded, "She seems to be adjusting well to you."

"She's known me as her mother her whole life. She just stayed with a friend of the family."

"She's what…six?"

"She turns seven in August." The doorbell rang again, interrupting the conversation. Sam opened the door to find Daniel, Teal'c and Jack with Jacquelyn in his arms. "Hi guys."

"Sam."

"Major Cater."

"Sam. Nice to see you've come back." Jack said last.

"Not quite." Sam replied. Jacquelyn reached her hands out for Sam and started giggling. "Can I?"

"Of course. She was getting heavy anyway." she took Jacquelyn out of his arms.

"Daniel, Teal'c you can go in the living room, Janet's already there. Jack, can I speak with you in the kitchen?"

"So what's up?" Jack asked once they got in the kitchen. Sam looked at Jacquelyn in her arms. Jacquelyn did look like her, she acknowledged.

"I'm willing to be Jacquelyn's mother. I've thought about it and you were right, she does need one."

"That's great. Will you move back in with me?"

"I need you to meet someone first." Sam walked over to the door, "Emma, can you come in here." When Sam came back to Jack he asked.

"Emma?" Just then the 6 year old came running up to Sam.

"Jack, I'd like you to meet my daughter, Emma. Emma this is Jack." Sam said staring at Jack. He didn't even try to hide he was surprise. Sam continued, "Emma, this is your little sister, Jacquelyn."

"She's so small."

"Yes, she is." Sam replied still trying to get something from Jack.

"Who's her daddy?" Emma asked.

"Jack is." Sam looked at Emma. So did Jack. He noticed the little girl was deep in thought, she had that look on her face like Sam does when she is trying to find an answer to something.

"If Jacquelyn is my sister, and Jack is her daddy, does that mean Jack is also my daddy?" Jack and Sam's eyes locked.

"Why don't we let her meet the guys?" Jack said. They walked into the living room.

"Daniel, Teal'c, I'd like you to meet Emma, my daughter." Sam said. Daniel looked shocked. Teal'c just raised an eyebrow.

"It is nice to meet you, Emma Carter." Teal'c said.

"He talks funny, mom." Emma whispered, like it was their little secret.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." Sam whispered back.

"It's nice to meet you." Emma replied to Teal'c.

"She is wise beyond her years, Major Carter. Of this I am certain."

"Thanks Teal'c. Annie really helped her out when I wasn't there."

"Annie?" asked Daniel, recovering from his shock.

"My grandmother." Emma chimed in.

"Carter, I thought your mother-"

"She is." Sam interrupted Jack. She turned her attention back to Emma. "Why don't you and Cassie go back outside for a while." Sam aid kneeling down to eye level with Emma.

"Okay." they replied in unison. Emma gave Sam a hug and kiss before leaving. "You three keep an eye on the kids. Sam and I are going upstairs, to talk." Jack said handing Jacquelyn to Janet. They just nodded while the two made their way upstairs.

"What the hell is going on Sam?" Jack asked once they reached her room.

"Well, you just met my daughter." she stated the obvious.

"Since when did you have a daughter?"

"Since six years ago."

"Were you ever going to tell me?"

"I just did." she said.

"I meant when we were together."

"I would have."

"We were together for almost a year. You couldn't find the time anywhere?"

"You didn't talk about your past that much either." she defended herself.

"It's all making sense now, those odd times you turned down the fishing trips, you went to see her, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"Was daddy there also?" He felt a slap across his face. He looked her in the eyes. Unshed tears and anger was all he saw.

"Don't start that crap. I wasn't the one who got drunk and slept with the first whore that approached."

He didn't respond. He knew she was right. He knew her better than to betray him. She walked by him and he followed her.

"Sam, wait up."

"No."

"Yes, just stop." he said lightly grabbing her arm making her stop even though she didn't want to.

"What? I shouldn't have done this. It was a mistake. I should have just stayed where I was."

"Sam. I'm sorry. I had no right to say that."

"If it makes you feel any better, I don't even know where her father is, let alone who he was. And no, I wasn't a slut and slept with any guy."

"What happened?"

"Why would you want to know?"

"Sam, I care about you. I want Emma and Jacquelyn to grow up knowing each other as sisters, not the other one they have to share their mother with on weekends and week nights."

They both sat down on the steps. There was a compatible silence until Sam broke it.

"Six years ago I was taking my evening jog in the park. It was the middle of winter so not to many people where there. Some guy was in the bushes. Before I knew what was happening, he knocked me out. I woke up on my porch, so he must have known where I lived since I didn't have any identification on me."

"God, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I dealt with the situation. I also got a little girl out of it." Sam said wiping the tears off of her cheeks.

Jack pulled her into a hug. "God, I'm so sorry, Sam." he whispered in her hair.

They eventually went downstairs and rejoined Daniel, Teal'c, Janet and Jacquelyn who was now wanting to be held by Sam. About ten minutes later Emma and Cassie came in.

"Mom, I'm hungry. When's dinner?"

"Why don't we all go out to eat." Daniel supplied.

"Okay. What do you want?" Jack asked.

"PIZZA!" Cassie and Emma said in unison.

In the end they decided to go for pizza. The evening ended with all of them saying goodbye at the pizza place. Jack decided to follow Sam home and get to know Emma a little better. What he wasn't expecting was the six year old to fall asleep on the way home. Sam carried her up to her bedroom while Jack waited in the living room with Jacquelyn. When Sam returned Jack was playing with Jacquelyn on the floor. When he got up to join her on the couch he knees protested. "I'm getting to old for that." he said as he made his way to the couch to sit next to Sam. She positioned herself so she could rest her head on her shoulder. "You're really good with Emma."

"Thanks."

"So, I was thinking, now that we have a daughter and another little girl that I would be proud to call my daughter, if you'll let me that is. I was thinking that you and Emma could move into my house."

"I can't do that right now. And I would love it if you would accept Emma as your daughter, so would she according to her, but she just got used to living in this house. I can't expect her to adjust her life anymore at this time. Although I can't move in with you, maybe you and Jacquelyn can move in here." Sam asked.

"I'd like that. I'd like that very much."

They shared a passionate kiss. The next week Jack and Jacquelyn were moved into Sam's house. Emma started calling him Dad. Sam and Jack's relationship was healing. Cassie and Emma became best friends, playing together whenever they could get together. Sam resigned to the labs so she could be with Emma and Jacquelyn. Jack retired to strategic procedures so he wouldn't be in any danger and leave his children without a father. He only went off world to safe worlds teach the new recruits how and what to do off-world. A year later they married and had a honeymoon baby. A little boy they named Jacob. Their lives weren't complicated, and for that they were glad.



End Notes: ~Thanks for reading. ~Kelsey.

P.S.- As I said before, any feedback will be gotten to my friend who was the real one who wrote this.