samandjack.net

Story Notes: His and Hers 05: SERIES: 5th story in 'His and Hers'

NOTE: Thanks again to Rosemary for beta-reading this.

URL of this story (for better formatting):
www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/hisandhers5.htm
http://fly.to/bluetopazfic/

EMAIL: blue-topaz@lycos.com


His and Hers 05: His Dog and Her Cat


*Friday, 11 July 2003*



10.09 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, remind me to ask Cassie whether she wants to be my personal cook or not. The cheesecake is scrumptious.



10.09 : Sam Carter

Sir, Cassie wants to be an astrophysicist like me. The baking is just a hobby.

I still can't believe that you ate the cheesecake for breakfast.



10.10 : Jack O'Neill

Really? I should have a talk with her then. She shouldn't be one of those astrophysicts or whatever the correct spelling is (it's too early for me to check the dictionary), the path is not for her.

Believe it. Desert is a food made to be eaten at any given time, Major.



10.10 : Sam Carter

Colonel! Leave her alone. Let her do whatever she wants to do. And it's 'astrophysicist', Sir.

You have a bad case of the sweet tooth, haven't you?



10.10 : Jack O'Neill

We can't leave her alone. What would you do if she said that she wanted to be a janitor? Wouldn't you talk her out of it?

And for your information, yes, I *do* have a sweet tooth, but doesn't everybody?



10.10 : Sam Carter

An astrophysicist and a janitor. I see how you come up with this comparison. Really, I do.

No, Colonel, not everybody has a sweet tooth.



10.11 : Jack O'Neill

Don't avoid the question, Carter. Will you or will you not talk her out of it?

Anybody who doesn't have a sweet tooth is a weirdo. How can you not like sweets?



10.11 : Sam Carter

But Sir, it's not fair.

There's this disease called diabetes, Sir. Where the patients are prohibited from consuming too much sugar. Therefore they can't have a sweet tooth.



10.11 : Jack O'Neill

Since when do I play fair?

Smart-ass.



10.11 : Sam Carter

Good point. Silly me for forgetting something like that.

But honestly, Sir, what's wrong with being an astrophysicist anyway?



10.11 : Jack O'Neill

Nothing. It's just not her.



10.11 : Sam Carter

And what do you want her to be then? Not a hockey player, I hope.



10.12 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, I'm not that ignorant. Of course, not a hockey player. Although, I won't mind if it does come true.

She should be a doctor like Fraiser. She has that glare, you know, the one that makes the Doc's small body grow at least three times larger. The one that she uses when her patients are being difficult.



10.12 : Sam Carter

You mean, the one that Janet uses when YOU are being difficult? How do you know about this anyway?



10.12 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, that accusation is completely uncalled for.

And I know this because she gave me first aid when we went skating last month. There was this little accident in the ring, and I was kinda involved in it. Cassie treated my injury; you should have seen how she handled me.

She's scarier than the Doc.



10.12 : Sam Carter

You are more afraid of Cassie than Janet? Does Janet know about this? She'll be so proud (of Cassie). And pissed (at you, of course).



10.12 : Jack O'Neill

I merely stated the truth.

Anyway, this is the last day huh?



10.12 : Sam Carter

Yes, it is.

The last question will come up at 13.00 as usual.



10.13 : Jack O'Neill

I see.

Hey, Ferretti has just popped into my office and told me that both Ewan and Perry are looking for me (thanks to you). I'm going to borrow Coburn's office to finish my paperwork because his team is on a mission. I need all the peace that I can get. Can you get me something for lunch later on? I don't want to break my promise to the General.



10.14 : Sam Carter

Sure, Sir. I'll get you something good to eat.

Good luck with the paperwork, Sir.



10.14 : Jack O'Neill

Thanks. I'll need that.



***



13.00: The Psychiatrist

If you got a pet, what would it be? Explain the reason why!



***



13.24 : Jack O'Neill

You know what? This question is getting easier and easier. It's blatantly obvious. You'll have a cat and I'll have a dog.



13.25 : Sam Carter

We still have to explain why, Sir.



13.25 : Jack O'Neill

You're a cat person, I'm a dog person.

Duh.



13.25 : Sam Carter

Actually, I was a more dog person than a cat one. But Schrödinger, well, he's the best pet I could ever have. When I went to the pet shop, he just stared at me with his green eyes and I was drawn to him. Do you know the feeling you get when you see something and you just knew that that was 'the one'? That's how I feel about him. We've been best friends ever since. If I had a bad day, he would be there for me. Even after I joined the Stargate program, and I spent less time with him, he was still there for me. I miss him.



13.25 : Jack O'Neill

Why do you give him up to Narim then?



13.26 : Sam Carter

Because I know Narim would take good care of him. Better than I could. I had been asking some of my friends whether they wanted to adopt him, because I just didn't have the time for him anymore. And a cat is an attention-seeker creature; they constantly need affection. I couldn't give that to him anymore.

It was better that way.

What about you? Ever had a dog?



13.26 : Jack O'Neill

I used to have a dog when I was younger, long before I joined the Air Force. He was a family dog, a Golden Retriever. His name was Rover, not very original, I'm afraid, but that's what my folks named him. He'd been with me for as long as I can remember. My parents had him even before I was born. Unfortunately, his age got the better of him and he passed away when I was in high school.

I remember crying the day I lost him. Well, the whole family did. Rover *is* a part of my family. We buried him in the back garden, so that in a sense, he stayed with us.



13.26 : Sam Carter

I never knew that talking about our pets could be this depressing.



13.26 : Jack O'Neill

Yeah. You're right. It did bring back a lot of memories, but at least it was a good one. At least I can talk about it, without being bitter.

Or without shooting you afterwards.



13.27 : Sam Carter

Well, you've got a good point there.



13.27 : Jack O'Neill

It's still an easy question, though.



13.27 : Sam Carter

It is. But there's nothing we can do about that, Sir. I didn't come up with the questions.



13.27 : Jack O'Neill

But this is the last day. We should make the best of it.



13.27 : Sam Carter

How?



13.27 : Jack O'Neill

We'll come up with something. As usual.



13.27 : Sam Carter

I thought you had some paperwork to do, Sir. How's it going?



13.27 : Jack O'Neill

It went well, a few more, and I'm done. Coburn's got a nice quite office.

Hey, thanks for the lunch, by the way.



13.28 : Sam Carter

No problem, Sir. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Listen, I gotta go now. I'll visit you if I have time.



13.28 : Jack O'Neill

Thanks, Carter.

And please don't forget to tell Daniel where I am. I asked for his help but I doubt that he knows where I am.



13.28 : Sam Carter

I will.



***



14.51 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, Carter. Want to bash Daniel's head against a wall?



14.51 : Sam Carter

What has he done?



14.52 : Jack O'Neill

You know, he had too much fun with his loss memory thingy. He kept using it as an excuse to refuse to help me. 'Sorry Jack, I can't remember that mission,' or 'I don't know what you're talking about,' and my favourite, 'Why don't you ask Sam?'

I read somewhere that you could retrieve the loss memory by banging the head against a wall; it was supposed to put everything back in its place. Is that true?



14.52 : Sam Carter

Haven't you read that it could cause severe head trauma as well, Sir? Please refrain from hurting Daniel, Sir. I'll be right there.



14.52 : Jack O'Neill

You're a life saver, Carter.



***



16.35 : Jack O'Neill

Finished Done! The End! Finito!

No more paperwork.

Wanna celebrate it with me in the mess hall?

Thanks for the help earlier, by the way.



16.36 : Sam Carter

What about Ewan and Perry? They're still after your blood, Sir.

You're welcome.



16.36 : Jack O'Neill

Damn it. I forgot about that.

Meet me topside then. We'll celebrate outside.



16.36 : Sam Carter

Sir, it's still too early. Besides, I have some work to be done. Ask Daniel. He might have some time. Better yet, ask Teal'c. He looks kinda bored.



16.36 : Jack O'Neill

I'll do that. You better go and finish up whatever work that you have by the time I come back here, Major.



16.36 : Sam Carter

I will. Now go and celebrate, so I can do my job.



16.37 : Jack O'Neill

You do that.



***



17.19 : Jack O'Neill

Carter. Help!

I'm in front of the elevator at Level 18.

Bring Teal'c!



17.18 : Sam Carter

Sir? What's wrong?



17.19 : Sam Carter

Colonel O'Neill? Are you alright?



17.20 : Sam Carter

Hang on, Sir. I'm on my way.



***



17.32 : Jack O'Neill

Phew. That was close.



17.32 : Sam Carter

Sir, you were overreacting.



17.33 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, borrowing your own words, they were after my blood. Well, figuratively speaking anyway. How I wish that they meant it literally, because at least I could fight back. They are creeping me out with all that nagging and whining. Why can't they see that there's nothing that they can say to change my mind?



17.33 : Sam Carter

Well, I can't say that I blame them. You are going to send them to an uninhabited planet with nothing but basic supplies! Anyone in their right minds would have protested.



17.33 : Jack O'Neill

They asked for it.



17.33 : Sam Carter

Where are you now?



17.34 : Jack O'Neill

I'm on my way to town. Teal'c is driving.

Hey, thanks for the help by the way.



17.34 : Sam Carter

No problem, Sir. It's part of my job.

And Sir, please remember the difference between the journal and the telephone.



17.34 : Jack O'Neill

I did say that 'I don't care', didn't I?



***



18.43 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, finished your work already?



18.43 : Sam Carter

Yes, Sir. Why?



18.44 : Jack O'Neill

Wanna go now? It's a bit early, but we could always go someplace to drink first.



18.44 : Sam Carter

Give me half an hour to get ready. I'll see you topside.



18.44 : Jack O'Neill

No, meet me at the usual place. I'm not going back to the SGC.



18.44 : Sam Carter

OK. Give me 45 minutes then, and I'll see you there.



18.45 : Jack O'Neill

See you.



***



22.56 : Jack O'Neill

Typical. This is fringing typical.



22.57 : Sam Carter

Well, look on the bright side, Sir. You can blame the Tok'ra, and I won't contradict you. As long as you won't say anything about my Dad or Selmak.



22.57 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, we haven't even touched our appetizers yet. I'm not blaming the Tok'ra. I *know* that they are at fault.

Just once. I'd like to have a nice dinner with you, just the two of us, just once. Is it too much to ask?

And to top it all off, it was that manipulative good for nothing woman. Hasn't she done enough to us, yet? She had ruined our lives more than any other aliens put together.

I like your outfit by the way. I haven't had the chance to say it.



22.57 : Sam Carter

I have to agree with you, Sir.

It was going great until she came and insisted on calling SG-1. And for what? For helping the Tok'ra moving their base, that's what for. She could have had any other team to do that, but oh no, she had to have us. I hate that woman. Who does she think we are? A moving company?

At least the General didn't look pleased as well.

And thank you, Colonel. I like yours as well. Especially the black leather jacket.

PS: Personally, Sir, I think she just wanted to see you.



22.57 : Jack O'Neill

The feeling is mutual, Major. The feeling is mutual.

PS: Please, don't talk as if she likes me. Because I don't like her.



22.57 : Sam Carter

I'm glad you feel that way, Sir.



22.58 : Jack O'Neill

You know what? Let's screw the mission and send SG-9 instead. I think Ewan and Perry would take it over the remote planet anytime.



22.58 : Sam Carter

Can we do that?



22.58 : Jack O'Neill

Why not?



22.58 : Sam Carter

Do you really think that the General will go for it? I mean, SG-9 has an unresolved problem.



22.58 : Jack O'Neill

If you back me up, I don't see the reason why not. We can kill two birds with one stone.



22.59 : Sam Carter

I'll see you in the General's office.



***



23.42 : Sam Carter

I love the General.



23.43 : Jack O'Neill

Yup, for once this week, he is actually in his right mind.

Did you see the look on Freya's face? It was priceless.



23.43 : Sam Carter

Sir! The General had been acting in his right mind all the time, well, except when he said 'OK' to your plan yesterday. But to his defence, you offered something that he could not refuse.

And I did see it. Serves her right for being so bossy. Did she really think that she could snap her fingers and we would follow her orders?



23.43 : Jack O'Neill

You must admit Carter. It *was* a brilliant idea.

Does she know how to snap her fingers? I mean being a Tok'ra and all that, she might have just settled for an ultimatum. 'I'm a Tok'ra, hear me speak!'



23.43 : Sam Carter

Lets not talk about her anymore. It makes me feel sick.

So, the journal is almost over now.



23.44 : Jack O'Neill

Yeah, it is.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm going to miss it. Especially the 'free' you.



23.44 : Sam Carter

'Free' me?



23.44 : Jack O'Neill

Yes. Whether you like it or not, you've been acting like someone who has just had a leash released from your neck. You've been surprisingly spontaneous.



23.44 : Sam Carter

Well, Sir. I'm learning from you.

Remember O'Neill's first lesson in life? 'Don't waste any opportunity'. Therefore, I'm not going to waste this one.



23.44 : Jack O'Neill

Well, good for you.



23.45 : Sam Carter

Colonel, if you wanted to, we can resume the journal. There will be no more questions though. Just us writing anything that we want. I don't see the reason why we couldn't keep the Palm anyway. I'm kinda attached to mine.



23.45 : Jack O'Neill

I'd very much like that.

Are you sure that you wouldn't get into trouble for this?



23.45 : Sam Carter

I'm positive, Sir.



23.45 : Jack O'Neill

OK then. We'll keep the journal.

Carter, I still haven't had my dinner yet.



23.45 : Sam Carter

Me too, Sir.



23.45 : Jack O'Neill

Wanna go out and eat something?



23.46 : Sam Carter

Where do you want to go? Most of the restaurants won't take orders at this time of the day. It's almost midnight.



23.46 : Jack O'Neill

We could always go for a McDonald's or a Burger King, I heard that some of their stores are open 24 hours.



23.46 : Sam Carter

You're joking right?



23.46 : Jack O'Neill

Nope, I'm very serious.



23.46 : Sam Carter

I'm sorry, Sir, but I'm taking the mess hall's food anytime over those. Besides, it's late already; I don't feel like going out.



23.46 : Jack O'Neill

Well, to be honest, neither do I. But with that damn Tok'ra on the base, I couldn't hang out in the mess hall. She'll try to talk, and persuade me to take SG-1 to help them.



23.47 : Sam Carter

I won't let that happen.

Where are you now? Not in yours or Daniel's office, I take it. She knows that those are your hiding places.



23.47 : Jack O'Neill

Nope. I'm in Coburn's office. I'm avoiding just about anyone right now.



23.47 : Sam Carter

Let me get some food from the commissary, Sir, and we'll eat it together there. What do you think? I just hope that Major Coburn won't mind us using his office as a picnic area.



23.47 : Jack O'Neill

I think I'd like that. And don't worry too much about Coburn; we'll clean up afterward. But if you're feeling that guilty, we could always use Ferretti's office.



23.47 : Sam Carter

Lets trash Ferreti's then. I prefer facing his wrath than Major Coburn's. Besides, Ferretti couldn't stay angry at us for more than a day.



23.47 : Jack O'Neill

I almost forgot how sneaky you are.



23.47 : Sam Carter

No more than you, Sir.



23.47 : Jack O'Neill

I'll see you in Ferretti's office then.



23.48 : Sam Carter

I'll see you there.

***



End Notes: NOTE: Come on, you don't really think that the date would go along nicely, do you? It's Sam and Jack we're talking about, something had to go wrong . Anyway, I just wanted to say that even though this is the last question that 'The Psychiatrist' would ask, this is not the end of the series. I've been trying to upload the stories every two or three days, unfortunately I couldn't do it anymore. I have my cousin visiting me at the moment, so the series is officially on hiatus. Besides, my fingers need a rest. And my muse needs new ideas. ;o) Writing in this format is surprisingly getting more difficult because I couldn't be sure whether Sam or Jack would actually cross some lines in this journal. That and I need to find something fresh to keep the story going. Thanks for all the encouragement and support that you have given throughout the series.

blue-topaz@lycos.com
http://fly.to/bluetopazfic/