samandjack.net

Story Notes: Title: "Friendship in Crisis?"

Parts: 1

Author: Siobhan Gormley (aq806@ncf.ca)

Rating: G

Warning: none

Classification: S&J friendship, post-ep filler

Summary: Jack needs to make amends after recent missions

Required reading: none

Spoilers: "A Hundred Days" and "Shades of Grey"

Distribution: The S&J fic archive, Heliopolis, and my site (http://members.tripod.com/~Web7thLevel/TVLAND/pfa.html)

Feedback: Love it! Please remember to send to my addy.

Disclaimer: I own nothing but this story. I intend no infringement in the use of the characters, who incidentally belong to Gekko, Double Secret, and MGM, and I make no money off of writing this story. It is simply for my, and hopefully the reader's, enjoyment.

Author's note: Had a mini-flash of inspiration this morning and wrote this one up. Sorry there's no smut to those who might have hoped for it, but that will come soon enough. ;)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack O'Neill walked in to the science labs to find Sam Carter diligently working away on her latest project. He glanced around at all the gadgets as he made his way to her, careful not to touch anything lest he set off anything dangerous.

Stopping beside her, Jack leaned casually sideways against the work bench, waiting for Sam to look up at him. She didn't. This, to him, seemed very unusual since she always paid attention to those around her, and she was always very aware of her surroundings. That was one of the things that made her an excellent soldier.

"Something I can help you with, sir?" Sam asked, surprising the colonel after a couple of minutes of silence. She still hadn't looked up from what she was doing.

[Maybe she just wants to make sure she gets this..doohickey right,] O'Neill hypothesized as he looked at the device on the bench.

"Oh, just wanted to see what you were up to, that's all. Maybe if you weren't busy you could help me with this report.."

"I am busy, sir." Her abrupt answer left Jack taken aback. This wasn't the Sam Carter he knew.

"Is there something wrong, Carter?" For the first time she looked at him. Her expression was somewhat neutral, but the distant look to her eyes gave her away.

"Nothing that really need concern you, sir." O'Neill wasn't about to believe that.

"C'mon, Sam, we're friends, you can tell me." The major raised an eyebrow at his statement.

"We're friends?" The colonel was puzzled by her question. He thought there wasn't a doubt that they were.

"Well, yeah, at least I thought we had been for quite a while now." Sam nibbled on her lower lip in thought.

"Permission to speak freely, sir?" Jack nodded. "I've begun to wonder about that, after our last few missions."

"What are you talking about, Carter? Nothing's changed." The major let out a half-laugh, half-sigh at his words.

"You really don't see it, do you?"

"Then tell me."

"When we were back on Adorra, when we had broken through to bring you back. You walked away when I was talking to you, without even an 'excuse me'." Jack cringed, remembering what he had done. It *had* been kind of rude. "And what you said after the mission to Tollana..."

"Now you know that I was just playing a part there, Carter," he interrupted, holding up a hand in protest.

"Yes, I did, and I do, but you brushed off all that you had said to me. And at the time you said it, it hurt, a lot. And then you come back, the hero, and act like everything should be fine again...well, I can't, sir. I can't pretend that what you said didn't hurt and I can't allow you to take my friendship for granted." O'Neill closed his eyes, letting her words sink in.

She was right, he was taking it for granted that she would always be there, taking what he gave without complaint. That was wrong of him, and now he had to find a way to make it better. He opened his eyes again, looking at the now saddened face of his major. Jack reached out and touched her left shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Damn Sam, I'm sorry. You know me, I'm not very good with wording things, but..." he trailed off as her right hand gently covered his mouth.

"That's all I needed, Jack." The colonel found himself grinning like an idiot. He could count on one hand the number of times she had called him by his first name, and each time was special to him.

Sam moved her hand away and lay it on her lap with the other. She turned herself around to work on her project once again, a smile on her face. Jack let out a little cough and she glanced at him, her smile now mischievous.

"I'm still busy, sir," she replied.

"Oh, well then I'll.." O'Neill began, waving his hands in the direction of the entrance.

"But when I'm done here I'll swing by your office and help you with that report," she finished teasingly. The colonel smiled as she returned to work.

"Thanks, Carter." Sam nodded.

[Crisis averted,] he thought as he moved away, content that he had made things right.



*The End*

--

Pixie Web Creations: Web7thLevel.tripod.com/splash.html
Ronald McDonald House, Ottawa: www.ncf.ca/rmh_ottawa/
Pixie's Bookshelf: Web7thLevel.tripod.com/TVLAND/pfa.html
The Shipper Network: www.onelist.com/communities/TheShipperNetwork