samandjack.net

Story Notes: Title: Home is...

Author: Jen Sweeney

Email: LtSChase@aol.com

Status: finished

Category: Angst, missing scene

Rating: PG 13, language

Season/Sequel Info: post 100 days

Spoilers: 100 days

Archive: write me about this one

Feedback: Sure

Summary: Jack returns home

Disclaimer: Stargate SG1 and its characters are the property of Stargate Productions, ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. No infringement on copyright intended.

author's note: Wasn't going to do this. Am supposed to be working on God Forsaken Planet, but this has been rolling around since I read all the spoilers this week so.. Feedback will determine whether or not I continue. Read and you'll get it.


Home is... By Jen Sweeney



Jack strode down the ramp. He accepted the handshakes and back slaps with a smile and his usual quips. Only the rest of SG1 knew that it was all forced. He turned at caught sight of the three of them, standing side by side. "So when's the party?"

"Party?" Daniel echoed.

"The welcome home party? Figured there would be one."

Daniel shook his head silently.

Makepeace stepped forward, "We figured, you'd all be too tired tonight. My place, tomorrow night, 1800 hours. See Ferreti for directions." He leveled his gaze to Daniel.

"Oh, that welcome home party," Daniel said.

"Well then, let me check you out before you do more damage," Janet said.

"Sounds good, people," Hammond said. "Colonel, I'll need a debriefing once Fraiser releases you."

Daniel gripped Sam's arm, "Sir, will you be needing the rest of us?"

"No, Dr. Jackson," Hammond frowned. "I do need you for a moment, but the rest of you are dismissed."

Daniel nodded. Teal'C handed his staff weapon over and took Sam's arm. "Go change, I'll meet you at the car," Daniel ordered.







"What in the world happened?" Hammond barked as soon as Daniel reached his office.

"Jack... wasn't all that thrilled to be coming home, sir."

"He WHAT?!?"

"He was involved with a native woman. I think he'd given up hope of ever returning."

"Oh God," Hammond sighed and sat down heavily. "Understood, son. Take her home. Get her to eat and rest."

"Yes, sir."







Jack sat on the infirmary bed as Janet went through the normal routine. Several nurses passed by.

"I missed this place," Jack quipped.

"Did you?" Janet replied. "You looked a little perturbed to be back."

"Culture shock," Jack replied. "Wasn't expecting..."

Janet crossed her arms and scowled, "Did you really think we'd abandon you there? That Sam, Daniel, and Teal'C wouldn't move Heaven and Earth, literally, to get you back?"

"I... yes. I thought it was impossible."

"Yeah, well Sam lives on impossible."

Jack lowered his gaze from hers. "What DID she do?"

"You didn't ask her?" Janet gasped, dumfounded.

"Guess, I should," Jack slipped to the floor.

"Not now. Not today." The voice came from the doorway. Sharp and angry coming from Daniel.

"Hey, Danny," Jack smiled.

Daniel stood stoic. "Janet, can I talk to you?"

"Sure, be right back Colonel."

Jack stood staring after them. Janet let out a large sigh, then went to her office. She returned with a small bottle that she gave to Daniel.

"Talk to you later Jack," Daniel was gone in a heartbeat.

"OK colonel. Go home and get some rest," Janet smiled encouragingly. "Get someone to drive you OK?"

"Think I've forgotten how to drive?"

"No. Just where home is."

Jack contemplated her words as he strode to the General's office. He stopped suddenly and detoured to the shower room. Despite what Daniel had said, he wanted to know what Sam had done.







Sam was sitting on the bench in the locker room, elbows resting on her knees, head down.

"Doctor Carter?"

"I'm OK Teal'C," she whispered.

He stooped in front of her, damp from the shower and forced her chin up. She blinked at him. He stood and grasped her by the upper arms. He led her to the shower stall, stripped her and stepped into the warm water with her. She leaned heavily against his arm and let him rinse the grime and naquada from her skin and hair.

"Gotta love these coed shower sessions," Makepeace chortled from the lockers. "Teal'C, there are a couple of fresh towels here."

"Thank you Colonel Makepeace."

The marine colonel strode passed the shower stall averting his eyes as he went. "Major, I just wanted to say, we are all damn proud of you. So damn proud, we almost made you an honorary jarhead."

"Almost?" she smiled.

"Yeah, well... Can't let on how jealous we are that the Air Force snapped you up," he snickered. "I'll let you get out of here. See you at the party!"

Makepeace slipped out the door and ran into O'Neill. "Hey there! Give Sam a few more minutes. She and Teal'C are almost done in there."

"She and Teal'C! What in the hell are they doing in there together?"

Makepeace's grin fell into a glare so fast Jack took a step back, "Well it's too quiet for one of their normal wild sex romps so I guess he's holding her up so she can shower."

Jack stepped forward and reached for the door. Makepeace grabbed the handle and held it shut.

"I want to talk to Carter!"

"No, Jack not now," Daniel said as he joined them. "Leave her be."

Jack glowered at him and pushed on the door.

"Damnit Jack I said leave her!" Daniel grabbed his hand and yanked it from the door. "She's been through enough."

"When did you get so protective?" Jack snarled.

"So aggressive you mean?" Daniel retorted lowering his voice as a pair of soldiers walked by on patrol. "How about three months ago when you disappeared and she stopped talking to anyone for three days, convinced she should have waited by the gate for an order from you. Or two and a half months ago when the whispers started about Carter's Crazy Contraption that EVERYONE said was impossible to build but that she was able to build to bring you home. Or how about six weeks ago Jack when I found her lying on the lab floor, where she'd been for God knows how long. Long enough to have hypothermia from the concrete floor. Because I was off world with Makepeace and no one thought to check on her. Or three weeks ago when she lost her apartment because she hadn't remembered to pay her rent or renew her lease? Or maybe it was today, when she finally does it. Finally is able to bring you home and you glower at her and then give her the silent treatment."

Through his entire tirade Daniel's voice never rose above a harsh whisper. The locker room door opened behind them. Teal'C emerged with Sam cradled in one arm like a child. Her hands clasped behind his neck, her head against his shoulder, her legs dangling limp. Her eyes were closed and her breathing slow and deep.

"Doctor Jackson, her coat was not in her locker," Teal'C said levelly, ignoring O'Neill's existence.

"Here, take mine," Makepeace offered. He went passed the Jaffa and returned with a long coat that he draped over her still form.

"We're heading out," Daniel said. "See you all later."

O'Neill and Makepeace stood watching as they disappeared around a corner. "Welcome home colonel," Makepeace sneered and strode away.

Jack stood staring at the empty corridors for a long moment. "You were right Doc. I have no idea where home is."







"Want me to wait sir?"

Jack tore his gaze away from the small house to look at the airman who'd driven him. "No. I'll be fine." He stood and pulled the duffel from the back seat. The airman nodded and drove down the street, only to stop a half a block down. "Unless I get turned away."

He stood staring at the house for a long moment, only moving when it dawned on him that the airman would never leave with him just standing there. He knocked sharply. The door opened, blinding him with light.

"What are you doing here Jack?"

"I... you are my home. You always have been. Everyone kept saying welcome home. I wasn't sure where home was. But it's you. It always has been you."

The figure in the doorway let out a long sigh. "Come on in, it's cold out there." Daniel rubbed his face as he stepped back. "Thought you'd be headed to your house. Teal'C and I cleaned it up yesterday."

Jack shrugged. "It's just a house. Home is family. You, Teal'C and Sam."

Daniel glanced around at the boxes stacked to the ceiling. "We moved in last week. Sam and I. I never wanted a house. Never wanted anything permanent. But now with Shar'ee gone and Skarra free, I realized I was here permanently. So I bought a house."

"With Sam," Jack whispered.

"It's not like that Jack," Daniel reprimanded. "Not what you're thinking. She isn't the type to jump into bed that fast."

"Not like me."

"No, not like you. Look if you want to crash here, fine. The sofa is through there. Sam is exhausted, so please be quiet," Daniel turned. He stepped out of the foyer down a step to the living room. He maneuvered around boxes and crates to the sofa. He reached into one box and yanked out a blanket and a pillow.







Jack followed Daniel up the stairs. Daniel glared but didn't stop him. They went down the hall to a bedroom from where soft light poured. Teal'C sat in the middle of a king-size bed. Candles were lit all around as the Jaffa attempted to reach kel-no-reem. It took Jack a second to realize that Sam lay in the same bed.

"Teal'C," Daniel whispered.

"Yes."

"I have stuff for Sam."

Teal'C's eyes opened slowly. He reached for where Sam lay curled under the

covers. "Sam," Daniel called in a soft singsong voice, "Samantha."

"What?" Sam sat up fighting the blankets. Teal'C caught her and held fast. "What's wrong?"

"Janet sent these. I need you to take them and drink this," Daniel held up a nutrition drink and a bottle of pills. Sam rubbed her face, her gaze skipping to Jack's then back to Daniel's. "He just showed up."

Sam nodded and reached for the pills and the can. Teal'C got to them first and opened the bottle.

"What are those?" Jack asked as Teal'C held the can for Sam to drink.

"Vitamins and a nutritional supplement. Sam hasn't been eating right the last few months." Daniel took the can from Teal'C as Sam pushed it away. "Sam, try to take some more."

She shook her head and leaned back. Teal'C tucked her in and settled back. Daniel leaned down and kissed her forehead then pushed Jack out of the room.

"She fell apart Jack. Everyone was telling her that the technology didn't exist. That she could never build it. But she knew she could. And she wanted it done immediately so she pushed herself beyond any human endurance. I used to have to get Makepeace to order her to get some rest. When she finally got it yesterday, she collapsed in the gate room. Just after we lost contact with Teal'C. Slid right out of the chair. Janet almost banned her from going through, I wish she had."

"Daniel, I never expected..."

"Do you really think so little of us? Would anything have stopped you from coming after me or Teal'C or Sam? We would have had a ship to you in a year. Sam didn't want you to have to wait that long. She actually thought you were waiting."

Jack stepped back from him. "I was."

"Yeah, really? How long?"

"Two days earlier and this conversation would've been pointless. I took a couple of days to myself. Wandering, canoeing. That's when I stopped waiting and started living there. 100 days to grieve and forget my real life. Why didn't I wait one hundred and one?" He turned. "Can I sit in there with her?"

Teal'C stood in the doorway, "She is asleep. Do not wake her." He walked passed to another room and shut himself in.

"All three of you live here?"

"Just moving in," Daniel said, "but yeah, all three of us. We had to hold each other together." He yawned. "I'm wiped, going to get some sleep myself."







Jack sat on the floor against the wall opposite the bed. The pale moonlight filtered in to illuminate the bruises under her eyes. The shadows of her cheekbones. And the frown that creased her forehead. How long had he sat there? Passed the stiffening of his old joints. Passed the cold of the floor seeping through him. He wanted to suffer. And watching her sleep was his favored form of torment.

Her eyes fluttered and she groaned. A shudder went through her and she kicked out. "No," she moaned. "No. God, please no."

He rolled to his feet and stumbled to the bed as Teal'C opened the door.

"Sam?" He whispered, stroking her face. She awoke with a start. Her wide eyes locked onto his face. "It's OK. I'm here. Teal'C's right here," he gestured. Teal'C came and grasped her feet

"I shall get juice," Teal'C said and marched out. He returned in a moment with a cold glass of juice. He handed it to Sam, caressed her face, and dropped a kiss to her cheek, then left.

"Juice, the Jaffa cure-all," Sam smiled.

Jack waited until she had a drink then sat the glass down. "I'm sorry."

"For what, sir?"

"For all the things I didn't say. For not thanking you. For not asking how in the hell you fixed this. For not..." he shook his head and reached for her. He drew her into a firm hug and winced at the feel of the ribs in her back. "I'm sorry," he whispered into her hair, "For not having enough faith. For not waiting longer."

Sam was silent. After a moment she hugged back and relaxed against him.

"OK, so as I figure we have about a hundred days to catch each other up on," Jack said. He laid Sam back down, crawled over her and stretched out under the blankets. He tucked a sheet and thin blanket over her and between them, then pulled her to rest against him. "Me first, you're tired."

She rested her head against his chest and sighed.

"OK so the first few weeks I just stamped around snarling at everyone, I know that is so unlike me but... hey! No giggling..."



the real end.

Jen S.
Maryland, U.S.A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one can hear, And live each day as if it were your last... - Irish Proverb

They tried to break us... looks like they'll try again. They tried to tame (us)... looks like they'll try again. - (Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, Rhodes, LeBon)