samandjack.net

Story Notes: TITLE: The Aftermath

AUTHOR: Kestra

EMAIL: Kestra@globalfreeway.com.au

RATING: PG for language, I think

ARCHIVE: SJA and Heliopolis, if you like. Others please let me know.

SPOILERS: Errmm.. Out of Mind/ Into the Fire?

DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG1 is the property of MGM, Showtime, Double Secret and Gekko etc. I'm just taking them for a brief romp on the holodeck. Don't sue me, all you can have is my computer, and believe me, you *don't* want it. Feedback - good or bad and especially constructive - is welcome. **Hathor is still alive for the purposes of these two stories**



The Aftermath An Epilogue to "Vengeance" By Kestra


"SG-1, you are on stand down until Thursday at 0900." General Hammond glared at us with his trademark expression; not exactly a smile, but not a frown either. He looked at each of us in turn, giving special concern to Sam, who for all her troubles looked pale but better than before.

We had just filled the General in on exactly what happened with Hathor, and her threat that we would see her again some time, possibly sooner than later. For his part, the General took it pretty well. Thankfully, it was a silent agreement among SG-1 to leave out the bits where Hathor revealed my deepest, private thoughts and I hoped perhaps that the rest of the team had forgotten also.

No such luck. As I was drying off in the shower room before we left base, Daniel walked in. "So, Jack." he said, and I winced in apprehension of what was to follow. "When are you going to work things out with Sam?"

I gave him my best "I'm-a-grizzly-old-soldier" look, but it seemed that my old tactic had nothing on Daniel. He clapped me on the shoulder, looked me straight in the eye and said, "You. Me. Teal'c. Janet. Sam. The bar. One hour. Make your move, or I'll kick your butt."

This amazing dialogue was followed by his most sincere, "I'm-just-the-kid-next-door" look before he left as quickly as he had arrived. Well, I knew he had to have it in him …but…for crying out loud! I shake my head wearily.

I took my time getting ready. Daniel was right, in a weird sort of way. I had to talk to Sam. Hathor had opened a whole new can of worms, but I still had no idea how to approach the whole thing. I mean, the woman had nearly died, for crying out loud. Technically, she had been dead. So now I just swagger up and do my best Humphrey Bogart impression? "Here's looking at you, kid?" I'm thinking 'no'.

This had to be handled delicately, sweetly and with no little amount of sensitivity. So, obviously, I'm not the person for the job.

I made it to the bar eventually. It's hot in summer, cold in winter and smells none too great, but the bar staff are quick and they don't ask questions. Maybe it's because we're all USAF and pretty much keep them in business.

The rest of them are already there, seated at our customary table. As I walk over, smiling, I'm gripped with this amazing apprehension. I haven't really spoken with Sam since she was in the infirmary, and then I was no Romeo. I veer off course and head for the bar.

This is crazy, I tell myself. How old am I?

No, that's not the right question to instil confidence in me right now. I'm too old to be feeling this crush-y kind of feeling, that's for sure. I order myself a beer to cradle. I walk over to my friends, kind of wishing I'd made an excuse to stay at home and watch television. Isn't there a hockey game on tonight?

I look into her eyes and I'm lost.

Damn the drinks, damn the Stargate and damn Hathor. I'm sitting next to my Sam tonight, and unless the Asgard make another unexpected visit, I'm staying put.

As if Daniel had organised it previously (and I'm betting he did) he, Teal'c and Janet head over to the bar, leaving only Sam and I at the table. Sam's looking at her beer, tracing the bottle with her fingers. We sit there in silence for a moment, both of us knowing that we'd been set up, but neither of us willing to step in first.

Finally, I clear my throat. She looks up at me expectantly, and I know I have to say something. If we leave this between us for much longer, it will just fester until we forget how to speak to each other.

"Sam…" I lick my lips. I had a speech prepared. I made it up in my head as I showered. There was something in it about her eyes, her lips and how she can make me feel like the most important person on Earth, just by looking at me. But the rest is gone. I'm sure it was poetic and flowery and completely unlike me, anyway. I'll just have to stick to the facts.

"Hathor was right, Sam." Now that I've started this confession, I stumble over the words quickly, so I can have it all out, and finally know her reaction. She knows I have feelings for her, and I know to some extent that she has them for me. But I need to tell her, I don't want Hathor's words to be the only way she knows how I feel about her.

I lean closer, my words are only for her "I…love you." I whisper it. It's not the sort of thing you yell, at least not yet. "She knew. I don't know how she knew, but she was right, you've reached out to me in a way no one has since…" Ah, Sarah. Should I mention that? Too late now I suppose. Mouth, engage brain. "…since Sarah. But it's more than that, you keep things sane for me, Sam. I couldn't imagine what life would be like without you, but I nearly had to find out. And it scared the hell out of me."

All my jokes are gone, right now I'm only waiting for her to say something. Anything. In the end, she says nothing, she sits forward to meet me, and gently leans her forehead against mine. We sit like that in silence for a few minutes. I can smell her shampoo, a cool scent of strawberries.

Finally, we draw apart, and she smiles at me, a sweet, sad smile. I think of how long we've waited, how much time we've wasted.

Never mind all that, I've finally got my Sam here beside me, to stay. She leans over to kiss me, and I'm completely lost in the moment.

I can hear whoops of delight coming from the general direction of the bar and I raise an arm in that direction. Sam breaks off the kiss and laughs, glancing guiltily over in their direction before I draw her into a kiss of my own. Although she's still one hell of an adversary, I have to salute Hathor in one way. When she was trying to tear us apart, all she managed to do was draw us closer together.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
End.

=============================================
Chief Master Sergeant Kestra: SG-2: Historical Research, Stargate Command.
=============================================
Incoming fire has the right of way.