samandjack.net

Story Notes: Obsession 4: Title: Love and Duty

Author: Karen

Email: ksc1959@hotmail.com

Spoilers: Seasons 1, 2, and 3

Sequel: Sequel to A Dangerous Obsession, A Dangerous Obsession 2, and A New Obsession.

Rating: PG-13

Summary: The road to true love is rocky for Sam and Jack.

Archive: Sam and Jack, yes; Heliopolis, yes; anyone else, please ask.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 is owned by Showtime Networks, MGM/UA, Double Secret, Gekko, et.al.

Author's Notes: This story is a continuation of the "Obsession" stories.


Sam Carter looked down at the diamond ring on her finger one more time before she had to take it off. Last night after they'd made love, Jack had asked her to marry him and put this ring on her finger. She still had trouble believing that they were together. The past year had been difficult. Jack had been stranded on another planet and had started a relationship with a woman there, then when she had finally rescued him, he had been forced to pretend to be a traitor. That had been one of the most difficult periods of her life, falling in line only after being taken over by Jolinar, and then her father's illness. After that she'd almost been killed twice by a vengeful ex-girlfriend of Jack's who'd blamed her for their breakup. They'd finally gotten together three months ago, six months after his return from Edora.

Sam pulled the ring off and stuffed it into the pocket of her fatigues. She hated having to hide their relationship, but it couldn't be helped. The regulations forbade a relationship between a commanding officer and a subordiate. They knew that they couldn't hide it forever, but for now there was no remedy for it. She got out of her car and walked to the entrance of the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. As she approached the security desk, she pulled out her pass and showed it to the guard.

"Good morning, Major," a familiar voice said behind her.

"Good morning, Colonel," she answered with a smile. She passed on through the security checkpoint and turned to watch Jack as he was cleared to pass. They then proceeded down to level twenty-eight, the headquarters of Stargate Command.

Anyone watching them casually stroll down the hallway to get into the elevator to ride down the twenty-eight floors to the SGC would think that they were an attractive looking pair, but not interested in each other in the slightest. He or she would never guess that less than two hours before the pair had been engaged in activities that showed that they were much more than interested. Their professional facade was so good that even their closest friends, who unofficially knew about their relationship, sometimes forgot.

As soon as the elevator doors closed, Jack pulled Sam into his arms and kissed her. When the doors opened on level 28, they were standing on opposite sides of the elevator. When they exited they went in opposite directions.

Sam headed toward the lab. She put her hand in her pocket to feel the ring nestled there. Someday she and Jack would be able to tell people that they were together, but until then she would treasure this time that was just theirs.

Jack was headed toward General Hammond's office. He and the general were meeting to discuss the training schedule for new SGC personnel. As 2IC of the SGC, he had to be up to speed on everything that happened. Most of the time it was boring, but it had to be done.

At that moment the klaxons started to sound. Jack started to run to the Control Room. Just as he got there, the tech announced that he was receiving the mining team's signal from Edora. General Hammond who had arrived just before Jack had ordered the Iris to be opened. Two members of the team stepped through carrying a woman on a stretcher. It was Laira, obviously very pregnant, and obviously in pain.



************



Jack O'Neill's son was born ten hours later after Laira had finally consented to a C-section. Jack was still in shock. He'd had no idea that Laira was pregnant. He'd sent messages to her via SG-11 and she'd replied, but she'd never told him she was pregnant. Since he'd been with Sam, he'd stopped sending her messages, wanting to make a break.

'Sam, Sam,' he thought. 'Oh, sweetheart, I never wanted this to happen.' As soon as he made sure both Laira and the baby were fine, he'd left the SGC to see Sam, who, according to Daniel had left for home hours before. Now he stood outside her apartment door, waiting for her to answer his ring.

When she opened the door he could see that she'd been crying. It killed him to see her reddened eyes. She said nothing, but stood back to let him in.

"Sam, sweetheart," he said, reaching for her. "I'm so sorry." She avoided his arms and stepped away from him. It broke his heart.

"It's okay," she said in a strained voice that was barely above a whisper. "How is the baby?"

"Fine." He didn't know what else to say.

"And Laira?" She half turned away from him, fighting for control over her tears.

"Fine." Jack reached out to her again, this time not letting her get away from him. He wrapped his arms around her. "Oh, Sam, I love you. I had no idea that this was going to happen. Please, baby, please." Her arms came up around him and she clung to him tightly. That was better. He pressed his lips to her hair, then tipped her head back and kissed her. The kiss quickly grew passionate, both of them desperate to be as close to each other as possible. Jack picked her up and carried her into the bedroom.



***********



Afterward they lay entwined in each other's arms. Jack stroked Sam's back, marveling at the smooth feel of her silky skin. No one had skin like hers. She was the most beautiful woman in the world, hell any world, to him. He hated like hell that he'd hurt her like he had. She didn't deserve it. It wasn't fair! It had taken them so long to find each other, now this had happened. He thought about his beautiful son. He should be his and Sam's son. A son with the beautiful woman he loved. He looked at Sam's sleeping face. Things really didn't have to change, they didn't. He could...he could...he didn't know what he could do. He wanted a relationship with his son, and he wanted Sam. He closed his eyes and a tear slipped down the side of his face.



***********



Sam gave Jack back the ring the next morning.

"No, Sam, nothing's changed." Jack was desperate to make her see that they could still be together.

"Yes, Jack, everything has changed. You have a child who needs you. His mother needs you." Sam was weeping now, not trying to hide her tears like the night before. "Things have changed."

"I don't love her, Sam, I love you. I want you," he said.

"Now you do, but eventually you'll start to resent me for keeping you apart from your child. Don't you see this is for the best?" Sam pulled the belt of her robe more tightly. "Please, please, Jack, just leave. This is the best for all of us, especially for your son." She walked to the door and opened it. "Please." She looked at him miserably.

"Okay, for now." Jack walked to the door. "Are you coming in to the SGC today?"

"Yes, in a little while." She wiped the tears from her face with her hands. He grabbed her hands and placed a kiss in each palm, tasting her tears. "Jack, don't. You're making this harder." Fresh tears started to flow. He drew her into his arms.

"I will never give up on us, Sam," he said vehemently, "never."

Sam pulled away from him. "You'll change your mind." She smiled sadly through her tears. "You will." She pushed him away and out the door. "Just go." She closed the door on him.



************



After Jack returned to the SGC he went to the infirmary to see the baby and Laira. She was feeding the baby, and when she saw him standing in the doorway, she held out her hand to him. He walked over and automatically took her hand.

Janet entered and saw that little tableau. Her heart ached for Sam. Why, oh, why had this had to happen? Sam had been so happy. They both had been happy. The Colonel had looked more at ease and relaxed than she had ever seen him, and Sam had been radiant. They both thought they were hiding it well, but they gave off a certain vibe whenever they were together. It was lucky for them that the people who either knew or suspected were their friends, including General Hammond. As long as they kept it off base, he wasn't going to say anything. He had said a couple of things to Janet that had lead her to believe that in a way he approved of their relationship, unofficially, of course. Now this had happened.

Janet had told the sentry to let her know when Sam came on duty, and he'd just called her to let her know that she was on her way down. Leaving the scene of Jack, Laira, and baby, she headed down to level 28 to see Sam. She found her sitting in front of her naquada reactor, half-heartedly tinkering with it.

"Sam," Janet said. Sam looked up.

"Janet," she said dully. "Hi."

"How are you doing?" Janet asked.

"Okay, I guess. I'm alive," Sam said. She looked terrible. Her eyes were red and swollen.

"Have you talked to Jack?" Janet walked around the lab table and sat down next to her friend.

"Yes. He spent the night." Sam wiped a tear from her cheek. "I broke up with him."

"Oh, Sam." Janet put her arms around her friend. "I'm so sorry." Janet looked up at the door and saw Jack standing there. She shook her head slightly, warning him to stay away. Sadly, he hung his head and turned away.

Things would never be the same again.



*************



Jack received six weeks of paternity leave and escorted Laira and the baby, whom she named Ian, back to Edora. He recommended that Sam be given temporary command of SG-1. General Hammond agreed with the recommendation. So, Sam was the temporary CO of SG-1. Staff Sergeant Joseph Caxton was temorarily assigned to SG-1 as a weapons specialist. Sam and SG-1 went on several missions. They were in a couple of scrapes, but they managed to get out of them mostly in one piece.

After a particularly hazardous mission, General Hammond had granted SG-1 seventy-two hours of downtime. Daniel decided to stay on base, but Sam felt the need to get away, so she went home. It was the first time she'd been home in two weeks, so it felt good to be there with all her things around her. She took a shower and had just settled down on the sofa in her robe with a book when the doorbell rang. When she looked through the peephole, she saw that it was Colonel O'Neill. She had no choice but to let him in.

"Good evening, sir," she said after she opened the door.

"Evening, Sam. May I come in?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," she said with a hesitant smile. She closed the door after he entered and turned to speak to him. "How-"

What she was going to say was cut off when he hauled her into his arms and kissed her. For a brief moment she struggled, trying to push him away, then she relaxed, putting her arms around his neck and burying her fingers in his hair. Her good sense seemed to melt away. The next thing she knew, they were both in her bed, naked, making love. Afterward, he held her close.

"Ah, Sam, I missed you so much," Jack said. "I love you." He kissed her hair and held her tighter.

Squeezing her eyes shut, her own grip on him tightened. This was the last time they'd be together like this, it had to be. There was Laira and the baby to consider.

"I love you, too, Jack." Sam sighed, "But this can't happen again," she stated.

Jack closed his eyes in pain. He knew that she was right. He had other responsibilities now. But, he just couldn't let her go. It would be like cutting off his arm or leg, a vital part of himself that he needed.

"I know," he whispered. "But we can have tonight, can't we?" He tipped her face up to his and softly kissed her. "Please, Sam?"

"Yes," she whispered, weakly. That's what she was where he was concerned, weak. But after tonight she would have to be strong enough to live the rest of her life knowing she could never have the man she loved. "Yes, we can have tonight." He rolled her over onto her back, covering her body with his.

"Then we'll make it last a lifetime." Jack lowered his lips to hers and set about doing so.



**************

Six months later . . .



The chevrons were locked, and the event horizon activated with its usual whoosh. SG-1 stepped through onto PT3-249, a world that appeared to be uninhabited. From the MALP images there were signs of civilization, but it appeared that the people had either left or died out. When SG-1 stepped through the 'gate they discovered the reason for this. The goa'uld had been there. They had killed the weak and infirm, and the very youngest children. From the signs, they'd taken the younger adults and teenagers, probably to be used as slaves or hosts.

It was a somber SG-1 who returned back to the SGC. In the debriefing they told the general about all they'd seen.

"It appears that the goa'uld are on the move, conquering new territory," Sam said. "From the reports we've gotten from the Tok'ra, they're moving into parts of the galaxy that they haven't been in before."

"Well, for now all we can do is contact our allies in those areas and let them know what's happening." General Hammond looked around at the quiet group in the briefing room. "SG-1 you have 48 hours of downtime. Dismissed." He looked over at O'Neill. "Jack, could I see you in my office?"

"Yes, sir," Jack answered. He looked over at Sam who was picking up her notes. Daniel happened to glance at him at the same time and was struck by the pain in Jack's face. Then it cleared and Jack followed the general to his office.



*************



"Hi, Janet, can I come in?" Daniel asked.

Janet looked up from the chart she was writing on. "Sure, Daniel," she answered. "What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to talk." Daniel leaned against the foot of the infirmary bed. "You know we've been so concerned about Sam for the last few months that we haven't thought about what all this is doing to Jack. It's really tearing him up. Every time he looks at her you can see the pain written all over his face."

"Well, I'm sure this is hard on him, but he does have his son and Laira. Sam doesn't have that comfort," Janet said.

"He has his son, but I don't know about Laira. Captain Baker, you know, the officer in charge of the mining team, says that when Jack is there, he stays with them at night. The time he spends there, he spends almost exclusively with the baby." Daniel informed her.

"Really?" Janet was surprised. "I would have thought Laira would have worn him down by now. She certainly poured it on while they were still here."

"Well, if she is trying, I don't think it's working. I don't think Jack has given up hope that he and Sam will be together someday," Daniel said.

"The only way that would happen is if something happened to Laira, and I definitely don't see that happening. She's a fairly young woman and she's in excellent physical health." Janet had gone though the Stargate to Edora three months before to examine the baby and Laira.

"I know. But he still loves Sam just as much as he ever did, maybe even more now that he can't have her." Daniel sighed. He had experience with wanting someone he couldn't get back. "I don't know if either one of them will ever get over it."



************



Jack's mind was still half on Sam. At least their professional relationship was okay, even if their personal one had been doomed. When they had gone into the village on PT3-249 and he had seen the horror on her face, he'd wanted to take her into his arms to shield her from it. He didn't though. It wasn't his right any more. The general's words broke into his thoughts.

"Jack, the reason I asked you here is to let you know that the mining team on Edora has requested some special equipment for the mining operation and I thought you might want to deliver it. It would give you another chance to see your son," General Hammond said.

"Thanks, sir, I'd appreciate that." Ian was the only joy left in Jack's life now. The only thing he didn't care for in visiting Ian was having to spend time with Laira. She couldn't understand why he had no interest in her. The first trip he'd made back to Edora after he had returned them there, she had tried to seduce him. He had let her know in no uncertain terms that he wasn't interested. That he was there for Ian, but not for her. She didn't give up. That was the reason that when he went to see his son every two weeks with the mining team's supply shipment, he stayed with the team. The only woman he wanted was Sam.

After Jack left the general's office, he went by Sam's lab. She was sitting at her work table engrossed in studying a piece of alien technology they'd found on P1J-234. Sometimes he would walk by and just stand outside the door looking in at her, watching her work. It gave him a certain peace, knowing that she was nearby, that he could at least see her. Today, however, he wanted to talk to her.

"Hello, Major," he said as he walked in.

She looked up at him, the now familiar flash of pain flickering through her eyes, before she got it under control. "Hello, sir," she answered his greeting.

"Hammond told me that the mining team on Edora has requested some special mining equipment, so I'm going to deliver it," Jack told her.

Sam gave him a smile. "You'll get to see Ian again." She didn't say, 'and Laira,' but he knew it was what was in her thoughts. She had heard the rumors that when he went to Edora, the he never spent the night at Laira's, but she tended to discount rumors. Jack was an extremely sexual man, and she couldn't see him being celibate.

"Sam-" he started, then he stopped.

"Yes?" she answered.

"Don't work too hard." It wasn't what he wanted to say, but he couldn't say what he wanted to.

"I won't," she said. He nodded once, then turned and left. She stood and walked to the door, closed it and locked it. Then she went back to her seat, laid her head on her arms and cried.



**************



Jack tossed a giggling Ian up in the air. The little boy was now seven months old, with curly brown hair and laughing brown eyes. He seemed to always be happy. Laira stood to the side watching Jack with his son. She was determined that Jack would be hers, even though he'd said he didn't have that kind of feeling for her. She knew he found her attractive. That and the fact that she was the mother of his son would make the difference. She would just bide her time. She walked over to them and stood close by Jack, her breasts pressing into his arm. He moved away, but she followed.

'Oh, no,' Jack thought. 'She'll never give up.' Turning, he handed Ian to her. "I need to get back to the mining camp," he said. "It's getting late."

"You can always stay here, Jack," Laira said with a smile. "There's plenty of room."

"Thanks, again, but no thanks," he said. "I'll just go back to the camp for the night." He picked up his hat and put it on.

"Jack, I still don't understand why we don't go back to the way it was before you left," Laira said, a little petulantly, he noticed in surprise.

He gave in to his irritation. "Because Laira," he said forcefully, "I'm in love with someone else." There, he'd finally said it. He'd been trying for months to let her down easily, but he was tired of trying to be kind.

"Someone else?" she asked faintly. "Who?"

"It doesn't matter," he said.

"It is her, Sam, isn't it?" she asked.

Jack looked at Laira with narrowed eyes. "Yes," he finally answered, "it's Sam."

"When you were here before, I would notice you looking off far into the distance as if you were thinking of someone. It was her, wasn't it?" Laira asked.

"Yes." Jack rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. "I've loved her for a long time, I just only realized it recently."

"Then you are together," Laira stated.

"No." Jack said the word shortly. "We're not." Laira felt hope rise within her, until she heard his next words. "But I'm hoping that we will be."

"Then, I will leave you alone." She gathered Ian to her. "Goodbye, Jack. Fair day."

"Goodbye, Laira. I'll come by and see Ian before I leave tomorrow." With that, Jack left Laira's house and headed to the camp. He'd hated to be so blunt, but she just wouldn't leave him alone. Even though he did find her attractive, it wasn't enough for him to betray Sam. He felt like it would be cheating on her, even though they weren't together now.

He went by Laira's house the next day and said goodbye to Ian, then he went home.



************



When Jack arrived back at the SGC, it was late. He stayed that night in his quarters on base. He knew that if he went home he'd be tempted to go by Sam's, and if he did that he'd want to see her. The last six months had been a mixture of heaven and hell, the heaven part was being able to see her everyday, the hell part was seeing her and not being able to touch or hold her. They were very careful not to touch each other, knowing that if they did, they might not be able to let go. Something had to give, and soon. He didn't think he could take much more of this, and from what he'd seen, neither could Sam.



************



Sam had spent her downtime with Cassie, who'd had a school holiday. They'd had a wonderful time together, doing each other's hair and experimenting with make-up. Cassie had been just the tonic Sam had needed to perk herself up. When she went back to work, she felt better than she had in a long time. 'Maybe I'm snapping out of it,' she thought. That was until she saw Jack at the mission briefing. The feelings all came rushing back, the longing and the despair. 'And maybe not,' she amended.

According to General Hammond, the Tok'ra had sent word that Klorel, who had received a new host body after being removed from Skaara, was the goa'uld who had attacked PT3-249, under orders from Apophis. He was building an army to overthrow the system lords.

"He's tried that before, didn't work," Jack said.

"Well, sir, he now has Sokar's forces behind him, too," Sam commented. "He's obviously found another breeding goa'uld to replace Hathor, and he needs humans to be slaves, Jaffa, and hosts."

"That would explain his advance through that sector of space," Daniel said.

"Apophis has always been ambitious. His bitterness now after his defeat by Sokar will make him more so," said Teal'c.

"So, SG-1, it looks like we're going to need to be even more vigilant than ever-" The general's words were cut off by the sound of the klaxons, and through the observation window they saw the Stargate begin to spin. Jumping up they sped to the control room.

"It's the Edoran mining team's code, Sir," the lieutenant said.

"Open the iris," Hammond ordered.

As soon as the event horizon stabilized, Edorans began streaming through the Stargate. Members of the mining team also came through, one of them carrying a seven-month-old baby boy. Seeing Captain Baker with his son in his arms, Jack rushed out of the control room, and was in the 'gate room in seconds. Running up to Baker, he took Ian from the Captain's arms.

"Where's Laira?" he asked.

"She went to look for her son. The goa'uld got her." Captain Baker shook his head. "She gave me the baby to bring through, then she took off. I'm sorry, Jack." The last member of the mining team ran through the stargate.

"That's it," he yelled.

"Close the iris," yelled Baker. The iris closed, seconds before thuds sounded. "It was Jaffa, Jack."

"How can you be sure?" Jack asked desperately.

"Because I saw them take her. There was nothing I or anyone else could do. She's gone." Baker laid his hand on Jack's shoulder, then he went to check on his people.

Jack clutched a crying Ian to him. Laira taken by the goa'uld! He couldn't believe it. There had to be something they could do, but he didn't know what. It was a certainty that as soon as the goa'uld had what they had come for, they would leave for parts unknown. Hopefully, Baker was wrong, and Laira was hidden away, waiting for them to leave, waiting for him to come rescue her.

Jack turned to General Hammond who, along with Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c, had also come into the 'gate room.

"Permission to return to Edora, sir," he said.

"Permission denied, Colonel. Because we had a mining operation on Edora, I'm quite sure that Apophis has set up an outpost there." General Hammond wasn't about to let O'Neill commit suicide by going to look for a woman who was probably not even there any more.

"General Hammond is correct, O'Neill," Teal'c affirmed. "He has also probably taken into his possession the GDO you gave to the child's mother."

"Lock out SG-1's iris code," the general ordered the tech in the control room.

"But, sir-" Jack started, only to be cut off by Hammond.

"I'm sorry, Colonel, but we can't take the risk that the woman has been made a host." Hammond left the 'gate room.

Jack stood there holding his son in his arms. His now, more than likely, motherless son. He felt guilt that he hadn't been there to do something, though what he could have done he couldn't say. His hold on Ian tightened.

"Sir," Sam said softly. "Sir." Finally, "Jack." He looked at her.

"You're holding him too tightly, that's why he's crying." She took the baby from his arms and held him against her. The baby nestled his head in the crook of her neck. "Come on, we'll take him to the infirmary." Jack just nodded and followed Sam.

Janet checked out Ian and pronounced him fine. "Just in need of a clean diaper," she said, supplying the needed article. The infirmary tended to keep things like that in stock, they had come in handy in the past. Sam changed the baby's diaper while Jack looked on. He seemed to be in shock.

When General Hammond came to the infirmary to check on the SGC members and Edorans who'd been wounded in the attack, he found Jack there holding a now sleeping Ian in his arms.

"Jack, go home," the general said. "You can't do anything else here."

"I should've been there. I could have done something." Jack was consumed by his guilt.

"You could've done nothing, son," the general told him. "There was nothing anyone could've done, except either die or be captured. Take your son home."

"I'll take him, sir," Sam volunteered. The condition Jack was in only seemed to confirm his love for Laira. He was suffering over her loss. "Sir, come on, I'll take you home."

Jack looked at her. "Okay, Sam," he said. They left the infirmary, Jack, Sam, and baby Ian.



************



After they arrived at Jack's house, Sam changed Ian's diaper again after she'd given him a bottle. Luckily, Janet had those in the infirmary for emergencies, too. They still needed to get some supplies for the baby though. Jack really wasn't in any condition to go shopping right now, so she supposed it could wait. She rigged up a make shift cradle using a dresser drawer and settled the exhausted baby down for the night.

Finally, she was able relax herself. Going into the kitchen, she found him standing at the back door, staring out into the night. She walked up beside him and touched him on the arm.

"Jack," she said.

He turned and looked at her, then he reached out and took her into his arms. "Ah, Sam, I was so cruel to her during that last visit."

"Cruel?" Sam didn't understand. Physical violence toward women definitely wasn't in Jack's nature, so he must mean mental cruelty. But how could he have been cruel?

"I told her that I didn't love her." Jack pulled back and looked into Sam's eyes. "I told her that I was in love with someone else." He lifted his hand and stroked Sam's cheek. "I told her that I was in love with you, and I hoped we would be together someday."

So, he wasn't upset because he'd lost the woman he loved, he was feeling guilty because he couldn't love her. She drew him close to her again.

"That's not your fault, Jack." Sam consoled him. "We can't love to order."

"I know." He kissed her hair. "I had been trying to let her down easy, trying to be kind, but it all just came to a head and I blurted out that I loved you. That's what was so cruel."

"It wouldn't have changed anything. The goa'uld still would have come," she said.

"I know." He stepped back from her and took her hand. "Are you hungry?"

"A little," she said.

"I'm afraid I don't have much here. I've been spending most of my time on base when I haven't been on duty." He had too many memories of himself and Sam in this house, and it had become painful to be here.

"So we'll order something in. Is there anything you'd like to have?" she asked.

"No, order anything you want." He lifted her hand to his lips. "I'm glad you're here, Sam."

"I'm glad I'm here, too, Jack." Sam squeezed his hand.



**********



With Sam's help Jack outfitted Ian with everything a baby could possibly need. The little guy was starting to crawl around, and Jack's house was a whole new world to explore, so they baby-proofed everything, too. He'd forgotten what being a full-time parent was like. He hired a live-in housekeeper, a Mrs. Cassidy, and soon was back at work.

The Tok'ra kept in constant touch, keeping the SGC up to speed on everything the Goa'uld were doing. They were also trying to find out where the goa'uld had taken Laira. Finally, they had a lead. One of the Tok'ra operatives had discovered some Edoran slaves, among them Garan, Laira's son, on a planet not far from Edora. It was possible that she was there too. Garan thought that he had seen her. The position of the world was relayed to the SGC, and SG-1 gated to a neutral world to be picked up by a Tok'ra ship. The ship would take them to the planet where the Edorans were seen, they would slip in, free as many of the Edorans that they could, then, hopefully, 'gate out. It seemed like a solid plan. Only something unforeseen could mar it.

For the most part, the plan went off without a hitch. SG-1 and a Tok'ra guide, Kalish (whose host was named Damon), slipped into the slave encampment. They found Garan, and set him and Daniel gathering together the Edorans there to meet them later at the stargate.

The Tok'ra operative, Tenlac, was waiting for them outside the goa'uld compound. He led them inside the compound via a service entrance. The goa'uld had a whole maze of hallways that were used only by slaves and servants due to the fact that they didn't want to have to see such menials going about their work. This arrogance worked to their disadvantage, however, since it made it easier for SG-1 to slip in.

They were making their way down one of these hallways when Jack paused outside an entrance to the goa'uld living quarters and surreptitously looked in. What he saw there made his skin crawl. It was Laira, only it wasn't Laira. She was a goa'uld. They'd gotten there too late.

Sam looked back and saw Jack standing there, transfixed. Going to his side, she also looked into the goa'uld living quarters. Grabbing Jack's arm, she squeezed it gently. He looked at her with pain and sadness in his eyes. It was too late for Laira. The only hope they had for her was to try to get her away from here. At that moment several Jaffa and Apophis himself entered the room. Well, they wouldn't get her away from here today. Stealthily they departed the compound and headed for the Stargate.

As soon as they arrived, Daniel dialed out to the planet where the remaining Edorans had been sent for safekeeping. The freed Edoran slaves were sent through, then Daniel dialed Earth and sent the GDO signal through. SG-1 gated safely to earth.



*************



Sam sat on her sofa listening to music. It had been a difficult mission for all of them. After the mission debriefing Jack had left the briefing room without speaking to anyone. They later learned that he'd gone home.

Sam knew he was feeling an overabundance of guilt, misplaced guilt in her opinion. The goa'uld attack on Edora hadn't been anyone's fault, and even if Jack had been there, it wouldn't have mattered. He probably would have either been killed or taken prisoner himself. Maybe someday he would understand that. But she hurt for him.

The ringing of the doorbell interrupted her thoughts. Rising from the sofa, she tightened the belt of her robe and went to answer her door. It was Jack.

"Hi, Sam, can I come in?" he asked.

"Sure, Jack," she answered, standing aside for him to enter. He walked inside and she closed the door, then walked into his arms. He held her close, bending his head to kiss her hair.

"Thank you," he said.

She drew back and took his hand, pulling him to the sofa. They sat down together, arms around each other.

"Today was really hard for you, wasn't it?" Sam asked.

"Yes, it was," Jack admitted. "Seeing her like that was horrible."

Sam's arms tightened around him. He cared a lot for Laira, she was the mother of his child. The thought did hurt her, even though she knew that Jack loved her, not Laira.

"I wish we could have taken her with us today," he added. "We could have gotten her to the Tok'ra and they could have gotten that thing out of her."

Even if they could do it, there was no guarantee she would survive the process, but Sam said nothing.

"Jack, whatever happens, please remember that none of this is your fault." She sat up and looked into his eyes. "There was nothing you could do, even if you'd never met Laira, never gone to Edora, it still would have happened."

"I know." He pulled Sam into his lap and held her tightly in his arms. "I realized that today. I thought about that other planet, the one where they butchered the old people and babies, and I realized I couldn't prevent what happened on Edora any more than I could have prevented that."

Sam smiled. Jack was coming out the dark place he'd been in since Edora was attacked. He was going to be all right. She pulled his head down and gently kissed his lips.

"We'll do what we can then," she said. "And what we can't do, we won't castigate ourselves over." She pulled herself out of his arms and stood, holding out her hand to him. He took it and she pulled him to his feet. "You need to go home. You have a little boy waiting for you."

"He's probably already asleep," Jack said. "Mrs. Cassidy was giving him a bottle when I left." He pulled her into his arms. "I'd rather stay here with you." He trailed his lips down her cheek to her neck, causing her breathing to quicken. He slipped his hand inside her robe and cupped her breast. "Please let me, Sam."

"You don't play fair, Jack," she answered breathlessly.

"All's fair in love," he said. "I love you, Sam."

"I love you, Jack." Her hands clutched at his shirt. "Yes." She pulled away from him and drew him down the hallway to her bedroom. Once inside, he unfastened her robe and slid it from her shoulders. She stood there clad only in a tiny pair of pink silk panties. Jack's breath caught in his throat. She was so beautiful. He removed his own clothing and laid her down on the bed.

Taking her into his arms, he just held her close for a while. It had been so long since he had held her like this, he just wanted to savor the moments. She was so precious to him.

"Sam," he whispered. "Please, say you'll marry me. I love you so much. I know what you're going to say, but I know that you would never come between me and my son. And I want us to have children of our own. I'm not getting any younger. I want to see our children being born, and watch them grow up. Please, marry me."

"Oh, Jack," Sam whispered. "Yes, I'll marry you."

Jack pulled back and looked into her eyes. "You will? You're serious?" A look of joy came over his face. He pulled her even closer, hugging her tightly. "Thank you." He suddenly jumped up from the bed and searched the floor.

Sam laughed. "What are you doing?" she asked. He picked up his jeans from the floor and fished in the pocket.

"Looking for this." Jack held up her engagement ring. "I kept this close to me in the hopes that one day you'd change your mind." He rejoined her on the bed and, taking her left hand, slid the ring onto her finger. "Don't take it off for any reason."

"But the SGC-" she began, only to have him cut her off.

"I don't care." Jack pulled her back into his arms. "I'm tired of hiding how I feel for you. If there's trouble, I'll take the heat for it, not you. I can retire again if necessary." He kissed her with growing passion, and she responded in kind. Coming up for air, he added, "I'm proud that you love me, and I'm not ashamed of my feelings for you. I'm too old for this sneaking around shit. If anyone asks where you got the ring just say that a man who loves you gave it to you. If they press you further, tell them I gave it to you." He rolled her over onto her back and covered her body with his. "Now, here's where you say, 'Yes, Jack. I love you'."

"Yes, Jack. I love you." That was the last thing either of them said for a long time.



**************



The chevrons were locked, the wormhole established, when General Hammond said, "SG-1, you have a go."

PT2-136 was an agrarian world. The MALP had shown them images of orderly, well-kept fields. Aerial reconnaissance had found a peaceful, sleepy village a few miles from the stargate. All in all, it seemed to be shaping up into a very laid-back mission.

Jack didn't mind if the mission was a little boring. Their last few missions they'd had to contend with more than a few Jaffa, barely managing to escape with their hides intact. Apophis was wreaking havoc on as many planets as he could manage. The Tok'ra were managing to get information through on where the goa'uld were at any given time, but a couple of times, the information had been outdated. That's when they'd run into those Jaffa.

They hadn't seen Laira again, and the Tok'ra hadn't sent them any information about her whereabouts. Jack pushed it out of his mind. He'd worry about that later, right now he and Sam were too happy being newly engaged. They hadn't kept it a secret. He'd even gone to General Hammond and told him everything. The general hadn't really been surprised. But he had given Jack a warning about keeping any private activities off the base and off missions. He'd assured the general that it had been that way from the beginning, and would continue to be that way. Reassured, the general had congratulated him.

As if sensing that he was thinking of her, Sam turned and smiled at him. God, he loved that woman. She was the best thing that had ever happened to him. She loved Ian like he was her own, and they were planning to give him some brothers and sisters just as soon as they were married. Jack sighed in contentment. Suddenly, Teal'c called out a warning. The stargate was activating.

"Shit, not again," Jack muttered, signaling for the team to take cover in the nearby woods. Two burly Jaffa stepped through bearing upon their foreheads the mark of Apophis. Then a woman appeared, arrayed in goa'uld finery. It was Laira, or Nefertiri, her goa'uld name. Jack tensed. There she was, just a few hundred feet away. After she emerged from the stargate, the event horizon went out. The three went down the steps of the stargate and started to head toward the village. Jack gave the team the signal, and they attacked the two Jaffa, killing them. Laira, swung around and raised her hand, which contained a harakesh. A bolt of energy shot out of the device, hitting Sam and knocking her unconscious. Jack rushed to her side. Daniel rushed toward the woman, and she struck him down also, then turned her attention to Teal'c, sending the bolt of energy straight at his chest. It knocked him unconscious. She turned her attention back toward Jack and Sam, walking toward them with the device held out in front of her, ready to use it.

"Well, Jack," she said in the deep voice of the goa'uld, "we see that you still have feelings for this one." She pointed toward Sam lying unconscious on the ground. "This host hates this Tau'ri female, did you know that? Maybe we should kill the female. Then we could have you all to ourselves." She laughed. "This host is in agreement with this. For one who is usually so averse to violence, this one wants the death of the Tau'ri female." Laira/Nefertiri raised the harakesh once more. "I believe we will kill her now."

Jack sat there on the ground beside Sam, stunned. He raised his rifle, but all he could see was Laira standing there, Laira who was Ian's mother. She was going to kill Sam, and he couldn't let her do that. He tightened his finger on the trigger, then shots rang out. He looked down at the weapon in his hands. It was still cold. He looked up at Laira/Nefertiri. Her eyes flashed golden, then cleared, and Laira looked back at him. Then she collapsed on the ground. Behind her, swaying unsteadily stood Daniel, his gun clutched in his hand, a thin wisp of smoke coming from it.

"I'm sorry, Jack," he said. "I couldn't let her kill you and Sam."

"It's all right, Daniel," Jack answered him. "It's all right."

"Jack." A weak voice called his name. He stood and walked over to Laira, kneeling down beside her. "I'm sorry, Jack. I could do nothing to stop her. Please forgive me. How is my baby?"

"He's fine, growing," Jack told her, taking hold of her hand. "He misses his mother."

"Take care of him, please Jack. You and Sam," she whispered.

"We will," he said. Then she smiled at him and her eyes closed for the last time. She was gone. Jack laid her hand on her chest, and turned to check on Sam. She was starting to come to.

Jack moved to Sam's side and helped her to sit up. The first thing her eyes landed on was Laira. "Oh, no, Jack," she whispered. "What happened?"

"Nefertiri was going to kill us," he answered. "Daniel stopped her." He drew Sam into his arms. "Laira spoke to me before she died. She asked us to take care of Ian. I told her that we would."

"Yes, we will," Sam said. Jack helped her to her feet and held her upright. "Can you make it?"

"Yes, I can." She looked toward Daniel and Teal'c, who had regained consciousness. "Looks like we're all okay."

"Yes, it does." Jack walked over to Laira's body and lifted it in his arms. "Let's go." He carried her to the stargate. Daniel dialed them home sent through the signal. They stepped through the event horizon carrying their sad burden.



***************



Jack took Laira's body to her son Garan and stayed for the burial. When he returned he was very quiet. He'd had a long talk with Garan and had learned some things about Laira he hadn't known. He didn't share them with anyone, not even Sam. There were some things she didn't need to know.

Now, he lay in his bed, Sam snuggled into his arms. He felt really sad about Laira. Daniel had begged his forgiveness. Jack had told him he hadn't done anything to be forgiven for. He'd been defending their lives against the goa'uld. Although the person had looked like Laira, it hadn't been Laira. She had been a victim of the goa'uld, too. The goa'uld had killed her, not Daniel. That had made the kid feel better, and it had made Jack feel better, too.

Sam stirred and opened her eyes. Jack was still awake. The last few days had been really hard on him. There was a lot he hadn't told her, probably would never tell her, but that didn't matter. They were together and alive, and that was all that mattered now. She looked at the hand that rested on his chest, the hand the bore his ring. Jack wanted to get married soon. He was afraid something else would happen to come between them.

He must have sensed that she was awake. "Sam," he said, "can't you sleep?"

"Obviously not any better than you can." She raised up and kissed him. "Penny for them."

Jack smiled. "I was just thinking about the last few days." He rolled her over onto her back and pressed her body into the mattress with his. "Let's get married tomorrow."

To say she was surprised would have been an understatement. "Tomorrow? Isn't this a little sudden?"

"I don't consider nearly four years to be 'sudden'," he said. "I've loved you for nearly that long, and I don't want to wait any longer. We've got a few days off, we'll fly to Vegas and get married."

"What about Daniel and Teal'c? Janet and Cassie?" Sam asked.

"What about them? We'll take them with us." It seemed Jack had all the answers.

"Okay," she said. "Let's do it."

"Really?" He could hardly believe she'd given in so easily.

"Yes, really," she answered, smiling. "We've waited long enough." Then she wrapped her arms and legs around him. "Now, how about a preview of the honeymoon?"

"Thought you'd never ask."



***************

The End