samandjack.net

Story Notes: SEASON / SEQUEL: S6, after 'Abyss'; final story of the 'More than a Game' series.

SPOILERS: Definite spoilers for all Tok'ra/Goa'uld mythology episodes especially 'Thor's Hammer/Thor's Chariot', 'Pretence' and 'Summit/Last Stand'. Possible small spoilers for all other episodes through seasons 1 - 5.

The title may be weird - and affectionately known as 'Spambit' by a certain person - but it does have a meaning! >>Gambit - A speculative sacrifice of material for compensation such as an advantage. A gambit is difficult, but possible to refute.


=*=

His face contorted in agony, horror and fear battling for dominance in his troubled eyes. A scream was torn from his throat as she sent another blast of painful energy his way through the ribbon device she wore.

" Samantha.. Please.. Stop.. Fight it.. Fight *her*..!"

His pleas did not go unheard. She tried to stop, she really did, but she couldn't. It was like she wasn't in control, like she was watching the scene play out from a distance - almost as if she were watching it happen on a television screen, shouting uselessly at the figures imprisoned by the pane of glass.

With one final scream, Aten slumped forward from his position of being on his knees before her. The glowing in the centre of his forehead stopped. She took a step towards him, warily crouching down and reaching out a trembling hand to check for a pulse..

Her hand didn't get the chance to complete its journey. Someone lashed out and grabbed her wrist, roughly jerking her away from the body and up onto her feet.

Frowning, her heart pounding in her chest, she turned her head to look at the intruder unable to stop the gasp that rose up on seeing who it was.

" Jack!" Relief filling her, instinct driving her forward, she expected him to open his arms to her, to tell her everything was okay, that she was, that he loved her, that.. that.. " Jack?"

Relief turned to fear.

His arms remained closed to her, his stance cold and tense. His usually warm eyes were cold, distant, unfeeling. His arms were folded across his chest, keeping her away, keeping her out. " How could you do it, Sam?" His tone was as harsh as his words, sharp enough to slice through the toughest mask she could create. " How could you.." He shook his head, the first signs of emotion appearing on his face. Disbelief, pain. " I thought you loved me. You said you'd try never to hurt me."

" I won't hurt you, not if I can help it." Again she took a step closer to him, needing to feel his warmth, seeking the comfort and security she always found in his embrace. " And I do love you. You know that."

" Then how could you do it?" He was fading, right before her eyes. The air around him seemed to be devouring him slowly, piece by piece by piece. " Why did you do it, Sam?"

" Do what? Jack?" Feeling scared and hating it, Sam reached a hand out to him, startled when her hand went straight through. " What's happening? What did I do?"

He disappeared completely, his voice the only thing remaining. It wrapped around her like a cool breeze, haunting her as he gave her the answer she both sought and dreaded in equal parts. " You killed me."

Her jaw dropped open. She stared at the place he'd been standing in, shock and denial written on her features. " I didn't.. I wouldn't.. I.." Spinning around, she forced herself to look down at the body at her feet.

Her heart pounded louder as she lowered her gaze, growing in volume to the point where it was deafening just as she saw who was crumpled on the floor. Who she'd apparently killed.

Expecting Aten, she was stunned and shaken to see the Goa'uld had been replaced by another. Replaced by Jack. Shaking her head, her whole body trembling as she pressed a hand to her mouth in an attempt at keeping the sob she felt building in her throat at bay. Sam sank slowly to the floor beside him, reaching out to pull him close. His head came to rest in her lap, her fingers running through his hair.

He was cool to touch. The expression frozen in place on his features: one of fear, pain and horror. His eyes were closed but he didn't look peaceful. He always looked peaceful when he slept..

He wasn't sleeping.

" Sam." The soft voice distracted her from her melancholic thoughts. She looked up into sympathetic blue eyes. " You have to come with me, Sam."

" I killed him." Blinking, she barely recognised her own voice. It sounded so weak, so broken, so sad.. so unlike the woman she strove to be every day of her life. " I murdered him."

Her companion shook his head, reaching a hand down for her to take. " No you didn't. You didn't kill him, not yet." He gazed encouragingly, his fingers wrapping around her unsteady hand. " Come with me, Sam."

" Where?" Gently lowering Jacks head to the floor, she let him pull her to her feet, her eyes pleading with him to give her the answers she desperately needed. " What do I have to do to stop it? What do I have to do to save him?"

He stayed silent but led her away, to a wall she hadn't noticed before. He stopped next to it, pushing aside a piece of material draped over something before moving to stand behind her, guiding her closer. " Look into it, Sam."

She did as she was asked without hesitation, frowning. All she saw was her own reflection, and that of her friend behind her. " I don't see anything, Daniel. I just see us."

" Look deeper. Look inside yourself."

Sighing impatiently, she turned her attention to her own reflection, gazing into her own eyes and waited to see what he could obviously see. As she watched, her eyes flashed tellingly. A golden glow flared and died in her eyes, a smug smile curving up her lips.

Blinking, the image vanished. Sam spun away from the mirror, staring imploringly at Daniel Jackson, angry at how nonplussed he seemed. " What's going on, Daniel? How can I..? I'm not.. She's gone."

" Not gone, Sam." Daniel shook his head sadly. His words were spoken softly but the warning in them was impossible to miss. " Just waiting."

" Waiting for what?"

The answer was one she was sure she wouldn't want.

" You."

=*=

" No!" Pulse racing, face gleaning with cold sweat, Samantha Carter sat up in bed, blinking her wide eyes to stop them from stinging. Her breath came out in heavy pants, her hand clasped to her chest, feeling the heavy thudding of her heart.

" What? What is it?" As she'd expected - and feared - her partner woke up immediately, reacting as he did when they were on a mission before he realised where they were, his eyes searching the night for any signs of danger as his hand reached for a gun that wasn't there. Relaxing slightly when he remembered they were in their bedroom, Jack O'Neill turned to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, his eyes shining with concern she could see despite the darkness. " Another nightmare?"

Nodding, unable to speak passed the lump in her throat, Sam leaned into him willingly as he drew into his arms and back down onto the bed. She cuddled into him, squeezing her eyes tightly shut, opening them again when an image of his lifeless body came back to her.

" You want to talk about it?" He pressed a kiss to the top of her head, shifting her until she was lying half over him, her head buried in the crook of his neck, both of his arms wound securely around her waist.

" Not really." Sighing, her breath warm against his skin, she raised her head just enough to gaze at his face. " But I guess you deserve to know why I haven't let you get a decent nights sleep since we got here."

Lifting one hand to cup her cheek tenderly, his brown eyes sought out her blue ones, reassuring her with a look. " There's no rush. Just tell me when you're ready."

" I'm sorry." Another, heavier sigh escaped her. " I know I'm keeping you awake." She felt guilty for that. She knew he had purposely taken to sleeping lightly after her nightmares had began, like he did on missions so he could be alert in an instant, ready to give her whatever she needed. He wasn't getting enough rest and neither was she, something that wasn't good considering they only had a few more days left of downtime.

" Don't, Sam." Shuffling around so he was face-to-face with her, Jack leaned in to kiss her softly. " You've got nothing to apologise for, you've been through hell.."

" I've 'been through hell' more than once and by now I should be used to it."

" You should *never* get used to it. You should never go through it again, you shouldn't have gone through it this time." He couldn't resist adding a reminder of his already well-known thoughts. In their first few days at the cabin, they'd spent several long hours talking about what had happened and who was to blame. He still couldn't forgive the Tok'ra, though he was careful not to come out and blame her father - something he knew she appreciated.

Her relationship with Dad was back on unsteady ground. After the initial relief at having her home safely had passed, Jacob Carter had taken her aside for a long father-daughter talk. He hadn't come outright and accused her of having an affair with her Commanding Officer, Selmac wouldn't let him do that, but he had dropped hints that he knew there was something going on and that he disapproved of it. Adding that with what Teal'c had let slip about the disagreements that had occurred between her father and the Colonel while she'd been gone, Sam wasn't very happy with what she saw as her father interfering in her life.

She hadn't said goodbye to him from what Jack understood. Only Teal'c knew where she had gone - and who she had gone away with, promising that he wouldn't say anything to anyone no matter who asked. If there was an emergency at the SGC, General Hammond knew to call Jack at his cabin on his satellite phone and ask Teal'c to contact Sam. If he suspected the two were together, he didn't say anything.

Jacob Carter would be another story.

" We can't change the past, Jack. It happened, it could easily happen again.." Allowing her voice to get gradually quieter, she lowered her gaze to where her hand lay against his chest, feeling his steady heartbeat. " Unless.."

" Unless what?" Instinctively, he had a feeling he knew where her thoughts were going. " Carter.. Sam? What are you thinking?" His hand moved over the small of her back in a soothing caress.

" I'm just thinking.." Her voice faltered a little. " I've been thinking about it for a while.. I might ask General Hammond for a reassignment, maybe to another Earth-based team, maybe to the lab full-time.."

His hand stilled. " Temporary or permanent?"

" I don't know.. Possibly permanent, depending on how it works out." She forced herself to lift her head, propping herself up on an elbow as she searched his features for some hint of what he was thinking. " I haven't decided anything yet. It might be nice to take a break from being in a field unit. I have a dozen different projects to finish in the lab.. It's just a thought, Jack."

" Yeah, well, we both know you think too much." He hated the idea of losing her to another team, even the thought of losing her to her lab. But if she wanted it, he'd support her. He wouldn't like it but he couldn't pretend similar thoughts hadn't crossed his mind on various occasions since they'd taken the next step in their relationship. Retirement wasn't too far away, his knees reminded him of that regularly. As much as he didn't want to picture his life without the SGC playing a prominent role in it, he knew it was inevitable. It was his dream job and a worthy cause but it couldn't - wouldn't - last forever. He wasn't a fool. He, and Sam, needed more in their lives than the SGC and saving the world on an almost daily basis; the SGC wouldn't be open to them forever indeterminately and they couldn't keep saving the world time after time, putting their lives on hold..

It wasn't fair and it wasn't healthy. That was one of the reasons they'd both made the decision to dedicate as much time as they could spare into getting their relationship passed the stumbling blocks that were unavoidable at the beginning of anything long-term. For some, it was distance or old habits that caused the hurdles in their way. For them, it was their guilt at going against the rules they'd vowed to obey and having to discover a healthy, happy balance between work life and home life.

He had a feeling that knowing their lives were as indefinite as their jobs was the motivation behind her new line of thinking. Maybe she'd started to think about the future and what it held for them just as he had. They weren't immortal, they weren't always going to be busy saving the planet.. They needed more to make the difference between life and living, they deserved more.

Dimly, he became aware that she was speaking again. Forcing the thoughts from his mind, Jack tuned back into the conversation.

" I could still go on the occasional mission with SG-1, I'm sure General Hammond would agree to that. But there'd be time for other things, too." She closed her eyes and brought her head to rest against his shoulder, allowing her mind to supply images of the life they could lead if they didn't have to hide what they shared. " Besides, it would mean my father couldn't keep holding this against us. I wouldn't be your Second, we wouldn't be breaking regulations.. He'd have to accept it."

" Don't make a decision about your future because of your father, Sam." He tightened his hold on her as she failed to stifle a yawn. " You're too tired to think straight. Get some sleep and we'll talk more about this later."

Exhausted, she could only nod against him. She felt her grip on the conscious world slipping away and was powerless to stop it, sensing he was following close behind. Her last thought before giving in was a wish that the nightmares would stay away till morning.

=*=

She woke up alone. Her features twisting into a frown, Anat stretched languidly in the empty bed before opening her eyes and searching the room for her companion. There was no sign of him but she could hear his whistling accompanied by other sounds coming from the room the Tau'ri called the kitchen.

Knowing if she waited long enough he'd come back to her, Anat closed her eyes again and sighed contentedly. When Baal had explained his plan to her, she hadn't thought she'd enjoy it so much. Not being able to gloat about her victory, unable to let anyone know she was there, she'd thought it would be boring and tedious and insufferable.. It wasn't; she was enjoying herself more than she imagined possible.

Even though Samantha was in control most of the time - anything else would prompt and encourage too much suspicion - Anat was truly enjoying the brief glimpses she got into Samantha's life, enjoying her time on the Tau'ri world. Samantha's friends were nice, they treated her well, cared about her without fearing her, and gave her support without wanting anything in return.

Colonel O'Neill was surprisingly pleasant to spend time with, too. It was a side of him she'd never seen before. She remembered searching Samantha's thoughts and memories when they'd first joined for any and all recollections of the man Baal despised. She'd know from her time as Anise that the Colonel had a tactically sound mind, that he was resourceful, distrusting, loyal to a certain degree.. Through Samantha's memories, she'd begun to see a new side of him. A side he kept hidden. He was smarter than he pretended to be for starters. Warmer, kinder to Samantha than he ever had been to Anise. Devoted, inexplicably loyal and trusting, loving, supportive, sweet and funny.. He regularly made an admittedly stupid or lame joke for the purpose of bringing a smile to her face..

Samantha loved him, and there was no doubt in her mind that he loved Samantha.

Anat found herself wanting to spend more time with him, but at the same time, she didn't want to intrude on what precious moments the couple could snatch to spend alone together - something that was unusual for a Goa'uld to admit. It was when Samantha spent time with Jack that Anat wished the need to stay hidden wasn't there. She would have liked to be a silent witness to their exchanges, to watch as the oblivious Tau'ri took advantage of being together. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible so she was left with no alternative but to search Samantha's memories when she was back in control and enjoy the few times she could get away with without Samantha or Jack noticing when she was able to take her hosts place.

" Sleeping Beauty awakes." His arrival stopped her musings and she was grateful for it.

She was becoming far too soft, she decided. Far too interested in the life her host had once led - the life she would be taking from her as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Still.. These moments with Colonel O'Neill, seeing the obvious affection he held for her host and feeling the affection her host had for him in return.. It made her realise there was something more missing from her relationship with Baal. It made her have to acknowledge something she didn't want to know about: the loneliness she'd felt for a long, long time.

He leaned in to kiss her and she responded eagerly in kind, just as her host would have done - had done, on numerous occasions. " Morning."

The smile she gave him was forced. She knew it, and she could see by the expression of concern on his face that he knew it, too. He set the tray he'd been carrying down on the bedside table, sitting beside her and reaching for her hand as he spoke to her in a soft, sympathetic tone of voice. " What's wrong? Still thinking about the nightmares?"

Nightmares? What nightmares..? Anat quickly scanned her host's memory, frowning when she couldn't get the information she needed. Damn Baal and his plans. There were some things that remained out of her reach because of his great idea. Fixing a small smile that she hoped appeared genuine on her face, Anat shook her head, leaning into him as his hand left hers and his arm went around her shoulders. " I'm just thinking about going home. Back to the real world."

It was partly true; it was something she knew dwelled on Samantha's mind at night. Going home meant going back to pretending their relationship didn't exist and it hurt her host. Anat, personally, couldn't understand why they bothered. If they wanted to be together, they should be. Everything and everyone else could go to hell.

" It gets harder every time." Nodding with understanding, Jack pressed a kiss to the top of her head, leaning back against the wall. He tightened his arm around her, feeling more than hearing the soft sigh she gave.

They stayed there for a few long moments. Anat was warring with herself inside. A part of her wanted to toughen up, to scoff at the feelings her host and this pathetic Tau'ri shared. They were weak, needy, pitiful.. So why did the other part of her long for what they had?

She'd had lovers, many of them, most of them Goa'uld. They had lusted after her, wanted her, had been willing to do anything for her just to make her happy. They hadn't made her feel cherished, or adored, or if she was honest with herself, loved. They had said they loved her - Baal probably even did - but they hadn't created the feelings this Tau'ri could create in her host.

She had never been wanted or needed or loved just because of the person she was. Fear, power, beauty and flattery were the four methods she had used to gain her lovers attention and infatuation. Scare someone enough and they'll do anything for you. Seduce them with power, either by offering it to them or by impressing them with the power you wielded, and they'd be yours. Use beauty to enchant them and weaken their defences. Flatter their delicate egos to make them crave and need you.

Samantha Carter hadn't needed to use such tricks and deceptions to get the attentions of this man. She could have done, Anat was sure of that, but she had chosen not to. She had won him over in other ways, almost innocently, without really knowing what she was doing. Just as he'd done the same to her.

It wasn't that Anat wanted Jack O'Neill for herself, not entirely. It wasn't that she was jealous of her host's relationship with him. She was jealous, but only because Samantha had something she herself had never been able to achieve, not without manipulating and deceiving and lying and seducing..

Jealousy turned to anger, and anger turned into an idea as she closed her eyes. She had to get a grip on herself; she was a Queen and a Goddess. She was so much more powerful than any Tau'ri could aim to be. So much more *everything* than this Tau'ri could amount to being without her help.

It was her aim to keep Samantha Carter as her host for as long as possible. To cause the human so much pain, so much agony that her defences would be broken down eternally and she would be easily defeated. Anat had to remember that. She had to keep in mind the goal she and Baal had, the plans she had for her host.

It would only be a matter of time before they had left this Goddamn planet and she was able to take complete control of her host. Then she could reassert herself, boost her confidence by maybe enslaving a few new planets and possibly finding herself another lover to take Baals place when she was through with him.

A cunning smile curved up her lips and she hid her face against Jacks shoulder as he continued to hold her and tell her everything was going to work out, they just had to be patient.

Colonel O'Neill would make an ideal contender to take Baals place. She had long since thought it was Baals host that had turned him into the lazy, foolish, easily deceived man he had become. Perhaps she didn't need to dispose of him entirely, perhaps he just needed a few reminders on how a man was supposed to treat the woman he loved - his Queen. Perhaps he needed a new host, one to teach him how to do things right, how to keep her happy so that she would not seek a new companion elsewhere.

And perhaps Jack O'Neill would be the perfect man for the job.

=*=

Sitting in the passenger seat of the car, Sam allowed herself a few brief moments to look back on their short vacation, trying and failing to keep her mind off all that they were leaving behind: freedom to do what they wanted for one thing.

Their time at the cabin always went by too quickly. It started with the very first day, one that passed hurriedly with the final section of their journey and spending the rest of the day unpacking and reacquainting themselves with their surroundings. The days in between the first day and the last passed far too fast, blending and merging so that it was impossible to tell when one ended and another began. The nights weren't so obvious here as they were at home. They didn't simply go to bed when darkness fell; they went walking, sometimes swimming, more often than not they would stay up talking until the small hours and fall asleep just as the skies were beginning to adopt that pre-dawn glow.

The last day was the worst. Knowing reality and 'the real world' were soon going to intrude on their lives made packing their belongings away and tidying the cabin painful chores. Reminders that they would be denied the simple but pleasing existence that enveloped them whenever they were at the cabin when they returned to the places they individually called 'home'.

If she was honest with herself, her small house hadn't been home in a while. She barely stayed there; only when they needed to put some space between them if they'd come too close to acting on their feelings at work or if her father was visiting or their friends were for some reason at either of their houses.

Their relationship had began in Jack's house and it seemed every milestone, every bit of progress they made together as a couple naturally occurred there as well. It seemed a little ironic sometimes that they'd taken their feelings out of the four-walled room at the SGC only to confine it in one - sometimes two if the cabin was included - larger 'rooms' but with the same number of walls.

She wasn't complaining, though. She knew, thanks to recent events, just how fleeting life was and that you couldn't risk wasting a single moment for fear that you'd regret it forever afterwards. That was why she'd gone to him at the first opportunity, asking if they could put everything that had happened prior to her fateful visit to see her father behind them.

Surprisingly to Sam but to her utter relief, he'd taken her in his arms without question. The first night they'd been back together was the first night she'd managed to sleep. Nothing much had happened, he'd escorted her back to the infirmary knowing Doctor Fraiser would have his head if he didn't, but she had managed to sleep that night knowing he was sitting beside her, holding her hand.

That night had been the one her father had walked in on, stood watching for a while before turning on his heel and walking back out. The following day he had confronted her and the cracks in their previously healed relationship had begun to reappear.

That seemed to be the way it worked in her life. Allow one thing to be put behind and left in the past only for something else to appear and rear its ugly head.

Her father would be gone when she got back to the SGC. His confrontation and their subsequent argument would not be forgotten but it wouldn't be mentioned again. Not until he had some new evidence to complain about and confront her with.

So if that was to be put behind them, what was going to either appear or reappear?

" You okay?" Brushing his lips against hers as he got back into the truck, Jack stared at her in obvious concern. " You've been fading in and out all morning."

She couldn't deny it, either. Hell, she couldn't even remember the breakfast they'd shared together in bed yesterday morning and there were several other memory lapses unaccounted for. When she got home, she'd see Janet about it. In the meantime, she'd have to come up with a cover story for where she'd been. " I'm fine." She managed a little, genuine smile at the tender look in his eyes, reaching out to give his hand a reassuring squeeze. " Just thinking too much, as usual."

" Ah." A mischievous spark in his eyes accompanied his knowing grin as he leaned over to steal another slightly longer kiss. " You wouldn't be you if you didn't."

'You wouldn't be the person I fell in love with if you didn't' was what he was saying in his own way. Her smile widened, showing her ability to decipher his carefully chosen words. 'I love yous' weren't exchanged as much as they probably should have been. The three words weren't always necessary, not all the time. But sometimes.. it was nice to hear them and know they were meant.

Settling back into her seat as he started the engine, Sam decided it felt like the right time to reassure themselves - herself mostly - that although they were leaving their safe haven, they weren't leaving their feelings - and each other - behind as well.

" Jack?"

" Yeah?"

" You know I love you, right?" The words were supplemented by a soft smile meant only for him.

" I know." Grinning, he cast her a brief but meaningful look before turning his attention back to the road. " You know I love you too, don't you?"

Closing her eyes, she felt the smile refuse to go away. " I know."

=*=

The real world began intruding almost instantly. The moment they stepped over the threshold of Jacks house, he turned to take her in his arms only to stop when the phone rudely interrupted them. Smiling patiently, Sam took a step back, allowing him to move over to the ringing telephone in spite of the none-too-pleased expression on his face.

" O'Neill. Oh, hey Teal'c. Uh-huh. Right. He did, huh? Why would we want to..? The Tok'ra, thought so. Right. Uh-huh. Well it's not surprising.. Uh-huh. Okay. We'll be there soon, tell the old guy to keep his hair on. No, not really. Yes, I know he hasn't got any.. Teal'c! We're leaving now. Bye."

Leaning back against the wall opposite him, Sam raised an amused eyebrow at the sigh he let slip passed his lips. " Let me guess." Holding up her hand to stop him from speaking, her smile grew when he let his already open mouth close with an audible snap. " There's been a problem on base and SG-1 have been assigned to sort it out."

" Close." Grinning in spite of himself, he took a step towards her. " The Tok'ra are searching for Baal and Anat, they want to stop them before Anat has a chance to take a new host. They've passed on a couple of 'Gate addresses in the hopes we'll help narrow their search."

" Do we have to?" Unable to suppress a shudder at the thought of coming face-to-face with either of them, Sam leaned against him willingly. " Can't someone else..?"

Winding his arms around her waist and upper back, he kept her to him securely. " Jonas was looking at footage the MALP sent back from one of the planets and saw something of interest. Evidence of an advanced civilisation or something.. General Hammond agrees he should be the one who gets to explore it so.. we're on babysitting duty."

" Babysitting duty?" Vaguely amused at the term he used, she lifted her head from his shoulder and met his eyes, trying to look either stern or slightly disapproving, failing to do both. " Don't you think it's time you gave Jonas a break?"

Appearing as though he was contemplating her question, a few seconds passed before an only-half teasing grin broke out over his face. " Actually no. Not yet. When he stops following you around like a lost puppy and decides to stop calling you 'Sam' I'll reconsider."

Escaping his arms and avoiding his wandering hands, Sam stood by the door, her hand resting against the handle as she smiled in obvious amusement. " It bothers you that he calls me Sam?"

" It kinda bugs me sometimes. Partly because I know I can't, partly because it reminds me of Daniel." Shrugging, Jack ignored her warning glance and put his hands either side of her, palms up against the wooden door.

" You can call me Sam. You just choose not to." Squirming a little, turning her head as his face began descending towards her, she chuckled at the grumble he gave when his lips landed squarely against her cheek instead of over their intended target. " We have to go."

" They can wait."

" No they can't. We can't give them any reason to get suspicious.." Dodging his amorous attentions, Sam managed to step aside and open the door, slipping outside before he could reach for her again. " Let's go, Colonel."

Sighing, he grabbed his keys from where he'd haphazardly thrown them on the small table and followed her out of the door. Silently but not uncomfortably, he drove them to her place so she could make her own way to the SGC. They parted with a brief kiss, Sam shooing Jack away before he could pursue her further.

She slid behind the wheel of her car, pausing before starting the engine. She let her head rest against the cool leather, her eyes closing with a heavy sigh. She couldn't fight the feeling there was something wrong.

She was tired all the time, kept getting headaches and having memory lapses - almost like mental blackouts. Sometimes when she woke up or came around, it'd take a while for her to get her body to cooperate. It was like she was temporarily paralysed or had become a newborn child yet to learn how to make its own limbs move.

For once she was glad to have the SGC intrude on her personal time with Jack. She was relieved to have an excuse to go to the SGC, to see Doctor Fraiser and find out what was going on.

Straightening in her seat, she decided enough time had lapsed so that she and the Colonel would arrive at the base a sufficient length of time apart. Turning the key in the ignition, she let her mind fall into familiar, mechanical patterns and began her drive to the SGC.

=*=

There was no time for any visits to Doctor Fraiser. Jonas Quinn was excited about going on their mission and it seemed his enthusiasm was contagious - either that or General Hammond had had enough of the young mans pestering and was desperate to be rid of him.

After a quick debriefing - one Sam remembered nothing of but apparently contributed to by agreeing they should go immediately - SG-1 were on their way up the ramp towards the active Stargate, kitted out and ready to leave. A little confused by the speed of it all, Sam paused at the top of the ramp with her team, drowning out Jonas' incessant chatter about what he hoped to find.

She stared at the Event Horizon, fascinated by it. She hadn't taken the time to really study it since her first trip - or push - through all those years ago. She stared at the rippling water-like effect, hypnotized by its movement, awed by its beauty.

The Colonel stepped through without looking back, rolling his eyes at the newest SG-1 member. Jonas was behind him, his features made more youthful by his evident joy. He hadn't been through the Stargate in a while and he had missed it. Working in Washington DC had been interesting but there hadn't been a moment when he hadn't wished to be back in Colorado, with his team. It was where he belonged.

" Major Carter?" Teal'c stopped beside her, concern playing clearly on his face. He wasn't afraid of showing how he felt around her, not anymore. Maybe in time he'd be able to do the same around everyone else. " Are you well?"

" I'm fine, Teal'c." She answered slowly, her eyes never leaving the blue circle before her. A small smile lit up her face. " I'm perfectly fine."

He gave her a quizzical look but said no more, relaxing a little when she touched his arm briefly in a reassuring gesture. He moved forward, allowing the familiar albeit dizzying sensations wash over him.

The woman he'd been talking to followed him through but it wasn't Samantha Carter. The smile still turning up her lips, Anat felt the anticipation build up inside her as she joined 'her' team through the Stargate, knowing a possible way of contacting Baal would be waiting for her on the other side.

=*=

Escaping from them wasn't easy. The Colonel - Jack, she remembered with a fond smile - hovered by her as she collected Samantha's samples. She knew he was being protective of his Second - and his lover - and the thought made her smile with the irony of it all. Here he was, protecting her, oblivious and unaware that the very person he was protecting was the one he sought to keep away from Samantha.

The Jaffa and the other one - Jonas, the relative 'new guy' - were the same. They were always checking on her, constantly looking back over their shoulders and asking if she was all right. Anat had to fight the urge to laugh. Samantha had been uncomfortable at going to a planet the Tok'ra knew was associated with Baal but Samantha wasn't the one they were all lavishing their concern and sympathy on.

She was, and she found it highly amusing. She was thrilled to be here, knowing she could contact Baal even if he wasn't personally in residence on the planet. He would eventually end up here and would receive her message. The planet, Elestrone, was their safe haven. It was a quiet place they came to after battle to plan their next move and reflect on all they had achieved or lost. It had been Anats first victory, hundred and hundreds of years ago and she knew Baal often came to Elestrone when he wanted to feel close to her.

All Anat needed to do was find a way to get away from Samantha's smothering teammates. If Baal wasn't already there, he'd be arriving shortly. He was predictable like that, especially where she was concerned, so timing was important.

It never failed to amuse her how he changed in her presence. Alone, he was strong and resourceful. All powerful, all evil. A God to be feared and honoured. He changed whenever they were together. She took advantage of his feelings for her and transformed him into a harmless puppy, easily using his affection for her against him so he would readily do as she asked.

Anat had all the control in their relationship. She had always been pleased about it in the past but recently it had become predictable, boring.. Their relationship needed spicing up, needed a makeover.. And she knew just how to do it.

Getting to her feet, she smiled winningly at Jonas and Teal'c when their heads snapped in her direction. Seeing there was nothing to worry about - on the surface anyway - they went back to doing what they had been doing. Turning to look at Jack, she let the smile change into something a little more coy.

" Carter?" He took a step closer, his voice adopting a casual tone but lowering all the same. " Something wrong?"

" Nothing." She motioned to the bushes behind them, allowing a faint blush to spread across her cheeks. " I just need to use the ladies room."

" Okay." He grinned at the way she put it and stood aside to let her pass. " Don't be too long."

" I won't be." Feeling his eyes on her back, Anat couldn't stop herself from swaying her hips slightly from side to side, indulging in a smug smile, knowing no one would see it.

Knowing no one would suspect.

Laughing quietly when she was out of earshot, Anat picked up the pace and headed immediately for her temple. She knew she had little time before Samantha's friends worried and came looking for her and if she was going to make her plan work, she had to find some way of letting Baal know..

A twig snapped somewhere behind her and leaves began to rustle. She reached instinctively for the Tau'ri weapon at her side, wishing faintly for a ribbon device as she waited, all of Samantha's military training kicking in.

Elestrone was unpopulated. Everyone who had lived there had either died trying to stop her from conquering the planet or had been enlisted as slaves and moved to the naquada mines on other planets she and Baal had claimed as their own. The only time there was anyone on Elestrone was when she or Baal were there, sometimes together and sometimes not, with a select group of Jaffa to guard them and see to their needs.

" Who's there?" Clutching her Tau'ri weapon, cursing inwardly, her narrowed eyes fixed on the moving bushes. " Show yourself!"

" As you wish, my love." Baal stepped out from the bushes, grinning slyly at her. He opened his arms, his grin growing when she ran into his embrace. " I have missed you, Anat."

" And I you, Baal." Hiding her face against his robes, Anat closed her eyes briefly, her imagination warping him into someone else. The image pleased her, her smile lighting her face as she stepped away. " I had not hoped to see you here. I was planning on leaving a message.."

" Then you must be pleased." He held her at a distance, surveying the fatigues she wore with obvious disgust. " Those garments are unbecoming, my Queen. We will have to ensure you don't have to wear them for much longer."

Anat took a step backwards. " Not so soon, Baal. I have a plan.. and it may require me to stay with the Tau'ri for a while." Smiling enticingly, her eyes flashed wickedly. " Your host has not recovered fully from your battle with Aten. It is possibly you have been with the same host for too long and the sarcophagus will no longer be of any help to you."

" My host has served me well, Anat. We are one. He chose long ago to serve me. He realised being chosen was an honour, a blessing.. Do we not please you anymore, my love?" He looked disappointed, his voice sounding almost angry.

Adopting her sweetest, syrupy voice, Anat gazed up at him lovingly. " I do not wish to be without you, Baal. You are my Lord - my love. Your host has indeed served us well but there will come a time when he can no longer be of use.." Moving closer, he stood on her tiptoes and pressed a swift kiss to his lips. " If we were to replace your host, the System Lords would not be able to recognise their target. If we were to chose wisely, they would envy you.. If my plan succeeds, you will triumph over a great personal foe.."

His eyes gleamed. " I am intrigued. Continue. Who would you suggest I take as my new host?"

" Colonel Jack O'Neill of the Tau'ri. Revenge would be yours, Baal. You know he has thwarted many of our alliances by killing those we wished to side with: Apophis, Cronus, Hathor.. You would be the envy of all System Lords, even Anubis could not fail to be impressed by it."

" Colonel O'Neill," Baal mused quietly, his expression distant, his smile cunning. " It would be enjoyable to feel his suffering as well as to cause it."

" It would be immensely satisfying, Baal. For us both."

The look on his face was all the answer she needed.

=*=

" Carter." Someone was calling her name, shaking her. " Damn it, Major!" The Colonel. Jack. There was alarm in his voice.. and in his face, she realised, when she opened her eyes. Why had they been closed? " Sam?"

" Yeah?" Sitting up with his help, Sam frowned as his face swarm before her eyes, mingling with the blurred features of Teal'c and Jonas. " What happened?" Blinking until her vision cleared, she glanced around and her frown deepened. " Where are we?"

Teal'c and Jack exchanged worried looks. Jonas furrowed his brow, staring at her quizzically. " We're on P6x423, Sam. One of the planets the Tok'ra thought might be useful? Don't you remember?"

" No." Alarm began to replace the confusion. " The last thing I remember is standing on the ramp at the SGC."

Jonas blinked, reminding her briefly of an owl. " Really?"

" She wouldn't make it up, Jonas." Muttering, mostly to himself, Jack stood and helped Sam to her feet. He couldn't hide his concern for her, knowing resignedly that if Jonas had had any suspicions about their relationship or at least his feelings for Carter, they would have been strengthened by his reaction to finding her unconscious.

They'd come looking for her when she failed to return after ten minutes and hadn't responded to their calls. All three of them had immediately been set on edge. Jack blamed himself for letting her out of his sight. Teal'c chided himself; he should have kept his guard up and listened out for everything. Jonas felt responsible for making the General assign them to a mission, particularly this one, so soon after her possession by the Goa'uld; he should have been patient, should have realised the rest of the team weren't ready..

Searching the sense bushes and woodland around them - why were there always so many damn trees? - they eventually found her in a heap on the ground, unmoving and alone. Teal'c had quickly scouted the area to see if they had company, Jack had immediately dropped to his knees at her side, relieved to announce there were no visible injuries.

Brought back to the present by her quiet moan, Jack barely managed to steady her as she swayed insecurely between him and Teal'c. Jonas looked on in concern while Sam willed her dizziness to abate, managing a weak smile to let them know she was okay.

" Do you remember anything? We've been here for over an hour.." Jack made no attempt at hiding his concern, wrapping an arm around her waist when she began to sway again. He glanced at Teal'c as the Jaffa took a discreet step away from the couple. " You talked to us, Sam. You collected your samples.. How can't you remember?"

" It isn't the first time it's happened." She admitted it slowly, refusing to meet his gaze. She, too, noticed Jonas and Teal'c kept their distance and once again began to wish for a way out of their situation, hating having to put the rest of her team in such a position. " I keep having blackouts, I had one during the briefing.. I don't remember what everyone else said let alone what I apparently said! I was planning on going to see Janet as soon as we got back to the SGC but General Hammond wanted to see us and we obviously came here as soon as we were ready.."

Anger fought with worry for control. " You should have said something," he hissed at her quietly, unwittingly tightening his hold on her. " It could be something serious.. A side effect of the removal.. Damn, I knew we couldn't trust Baal."

" Janet gave me a CAT scan and an MRI when we got back," Sam reminded him softly, trying to put a little space between them. " The results came back fine. She said there was nothing wrong.."

" She also said there was some interference of some kind with the readings she couldn't explain. Maybe that hid something." Allowing her to move only a short distance away, Jack nodded over her shoulder to Teal'c and Jonas, giving them the all clear to join them. " Okay, Campers. We're heading back to base. Teal'c, you take point. I'll over our backs. Jonas, walk with Carter and make sure she doesn't pass out again."

He moved away from her abruptly and Sam scolded herself for immediately feeling more than a little bereft. She clenched her jaw at his dismissal of her, and at his apparent memory loss regarding her ability to defend and protect herself. She saw Teal'c throw him a disapproving glance before doing as he was instructed.

Silently, she fell into step with Jonas. He gave her a small, reassuring smile that she managed to return half-heartedly. She could feel eyes on her back and it made her uncomfortable. She tried telling herself the only person watching her was the Colonel - Jack - no, he was most definitely in Colonel-mode right now - but there was something in the gaze she felt burning into her, something unfamiliar. Jack - whether he was being the Colonel, her friend or her lover - had never made her feel as uncomfortable as she felt walking towards the Stargate, and he had never made her feel threatened.

She stumbled, grateful for the arm Jonas offered as support and took advantage of the distraction to look back. All she could see were trees, bushes.. and one Colonel O'Neill. Their eyes met for a split second but he didn't smile or acknowledge her in any way.

Turning back to the direction they were heading in, Sam stifled a heavy sigh. His dismissal made her feel worse than she already had and only served to increase the sensation that something was amiss.

=*=

The alarm they'd felt spread and infected General Hammond and Doctor Janet Fraiser when they learnt of the strange occurrences. Almost immediately, Sam was whisked off to the infirmary and prepared for an MRI and CAT scan. The rest of her team and General Hammond assembled in the observation room, all determined to get to the bottom of what was wrong.

During the MRI, Janet was perplexed to find the machine was picking up the same strange readings it had done the first time she'd tried using it with Sam. She'd thought it had been a one-off incident - the machine had worked fine where every other patient she had was concerned.

" Doctor Fraiser?" General Hammond spoke through the microphone in the observation room, making her glance up to the window. " What seems to be the problem?"

" There seems to be some sort of interference, Sir." Janet called out, staring once more at the screen below her. " I can't get a clear picture."

" Same as last time?" The Colonel took over the microphone from the General, asking the question playing on all of their minds.

The pretty Doctor nodded, frowning. " Exactly the same. I'm going to see if I can compensate for it." Concentrating on the instrument before her, Janet fiddled with some of the knobs, pressing buttons and making adjustments. She was aware of Sam's dislike for the tests so wanted to have them over with as soon as possible. 'Maybe that's why we're here again,' she thought guiltily. 'Maybe I rushed through this the first time and missed something important.'

Eventually, it seemed to work. The machine hummed as it worked to send an image of Sam's brain to the screen in front of Janet. Fighting the urge to cross her fingers, she watched intently as the picture slowly cleared.

" Oh my God." The startled gasp came before she could stop it. She turned slowly to face those watching in the observation room, her eyes wide and haunted. " Ah, Sirs? I think you should come and look at this."

Without hesitating to ask questions, General Hammond and Jack left the observation room and made their way to join the Doctor. Teal'c and Jonas followed hurriedly, fighting their growing apprehension.

" What is it, Doc?" The Colonel did his best to sound casual but his eyes gave him away. " Find out what's wrong?"

" In a manner of speaking, Colonel." Stepping aside, she let them see what was responsible for the lack of colour in her face.

The four men looked. Two jaws dropped, one eyebrow raised and one mouth opened and closed much in the way a goldfish's did.

On the screen in front of them was an image of Sam's brain. It looked completely normal with the exceptions of two things. One was the tiny, square-shaped device, embedded in the brain tissue at the front of her mind. The second was a familiar and dreaded sight: a symbiote, wound around the top of her spinal cord, alive and moving.

" What is it?" Jonas stared at the screen, his brow creased.

" That's a symbiote. A Goa'uld symbiote." Jack spoke through gritted teeth, glaring hotly at the screen. If looks could kill, the snake would be dead.

" I know that. I meant the other thing." Jonas studied the object in question and rapidly scanned through his memory files for any reference to the device he might have picked up by reading through the SGCs numerous files. He came up blank. " The box-thing. What's *that*?"

Janet's troubled gaze met his curious one for a few moments. He saw the fear and helplessness in her eyes and immediately felt bad for asking the question even though it needed to be asked.

No one answered him and he realised, swallowing hard, that it was because no one could.

Oblivious to the revelation, Sam lay as still as she could a few feet away, wondering what was taking so long. Eventually, after what seemed like hours, Janet reappeared and released her from the machine, the others standing behind her, all wearing identical expressions.

" What is it? What's wrong?" Sitting up, Sam's eyes widened in confusion when General Hammond motioned for two armed SFs to come closer. " General? Colonel? Janet?"

General Hammond kept his eyes on her but said nothing. Jack appeared stunned, staring at her, blinking every now and then to make sure what he saw was real. Janet took a small step closer and made a move as if to reach out for her hand, only to withdraw again and let her arm fall limply at her side.

Their refusal to answer her hurt; that much was clear from the expression in her blue eyes.

" Major Carter.. Samantha." It was Teal'c who was brave enough to move closer, placing a soft hand on her shoulder as he gazed down on her sadly. " It appears Baal and Anat have deceived us once more."

The way he said it hinted that she wouldn't want to know anymore but Sam couldn't leave it there. She had to know. " What do you mean? What did they do?"

" It's not what they did, Sam. It's what they didn't do." Encouraged either by Teal'c making the first move or the understanding hand Jonas placed briefly at her back, Janet continued when no one else could. " There's still a symbiote inside you, Sam. Anat. She's still inside you."

=*=

Shock. Fear. Horror. Dread. Disbelief. More Fear. More disbelief. Copious amounts of confusion. And there were a lot more emotions running through her too quickly to categorise.

Understandable, really. They – her friends – had just told her she was a Goa'uld. That the symbiote she thought she was free of was still there, hiding, biding its time. It explained the blackouts, the headaches, the deep-rooted feeling something was wrong.

The unknown device, she guessed, was responsible for her being unaware of its – Anats – presence. Whatever it was, Sam assumed it must be responsible for her lack of memory whenever Anat took control.

Why, though? Why was the Goa'uld hiding? Why would she pretend to be Sam when she was in control? Unless she was planning something, needing to earn their trust and take advantage of it..

A shudder worked its way down her spine. It was worse not knowing what Anat was up to than it had been knowing every nuance of her plan. It was worse because she knew she was a threat to her friends, a danger to her planet, and there was nothing she could do about it. She couldn't warn them because she didn't know anything.

Blinking back stinging tears of frustration and anger that needed to be repressed, Sam looked at the faces still crowded round her. She tried to speak, having to clear her throat twice before the words would pass through her lips.

" General, I think it would be best to keep me under armed guard at all times, and secluded either here or in a holding cell." She held her head up, meeting his conflicted gaze unflinchingly. " You may need more than just two SFs to be on the safe side.. And I'd suggest not letting anyone in to see me."

" No way." Colonel O'Neill was the first to object, just as she knew he would be. She forced herself to meet his eyes, telling herself determinedly it would be easier if she saw him as only her CO and nothing more. " You're in control now, right? And have been in control more than Anat so.. It'd be like imprisoning Carter, Sir."

" At my request, Colonel." Keeping her voice calm and unwavering, she stared at them resolutely. " I won't be able to give you any warning when Anat is about to take control. It would be dangerous to give me any kind of liberties and if anyone comes to visit me, they'd be risking their own lives. Anat isn't stupid. She'll realise something's wrong and that her cover has been blown. If anyone else is here when that happens, she'll no doubt try to take it out on them. I don't want to be responsible for that General. I don't want anyone's blood on my hands."

General Hammond gazed at her intently for a few moments, understanding her request. He wanted to be able to deny it, knowing how much she'd hate it, but he knew he couldn't. He had to make the right decision for all concerned. " Unfortunately, Colonel, I have to agree with Major Carter. I'll assign two more armed guards to stand outside and this room will be sealed off to everyone who doesn't have permission from myself or Doctor Fraiser." He turned to glance at the Doctor in question. " Will you be able to monitor Major Carter's condition from the observation room?"

" Yes, Sir." The woman cast an apologetic glance in the direction of her friend. " We should be able to communicate with Major Carter from there, too. It would be safer for all concerned."

" It's better than nothing. Doctor, do what you have to do. Then I'm ordering everyone out of the room." General Hammond made as if to leave, pausing to look at the young woman on the bed compassionately. " We will beat this thing, Major. The Goa'uld will not win."

" Thank you, Sir." She acknowledged him with a small smile. She watched with her heart pounding painfully in her chest as he slowly left the room, followed by the two-armed SFs. Jonas, she noticed, lingered by Janet as the Doctor hooked Sam up to several machines. Teal'c gazed at her with his hands clenched at his sides, letting her know he would always be there and would do all he could. Jack had taken over from the Colonel, almost in the same way the Goa'uld took over its host, and she could see he was fighting with himself on what to do. His fingers stretched and relaxed as his arms hung by his side and she knew he was keeping the impulse to take her hand at bay.

" You should go." She pulled her legs up onto the bed, withdrawing into herself as Janet finished what she was doing. " Seriously, I don't know when Anat will come back, I don't know what she's planning.. Please go."

" I'll be up there if you need to talk." Janet gave her a forced smile and started backing out of the room, wanting to do more but unable to. She walked away, her head bowed as she went.

Jonas shifted uncomfortable, watching the Doctor go before looking back at Sam. " I'd better.. There'll be a way out of this, Sam. We'll find it."

" I'm sure you will." Sam smiled a little at his uncertainty and what to do, vaguely amused at the way he waved over his shoulder as he left. Turning her attention back to Teal'c and Jack, she tried not to let the smile slip from her face. " Go on, I'll be fine. And Janet's right, you can talk to me from up there."

" You gonna be all right by yourself in here?" He didn't know what else to say. He wanted to get closer to her, tell her what was going through his mind but knew he couldn't. She wouldn't appreciate it, or approve.

" I'll be fine, Sir." She nodded shortly, her eyes never straying from the point in between the two men. " When Anat takes control.." Her voice stopped them from leaving. " Don't give into her. No matter what she says."

Jack nodded silently and left without another word. Teal'c hesitated, meeting her eyes again and seeing the quiet request there. Swallowing, his fists clenching eve more, he answered her with a grim look and left her alone.

The heavy doors slid behind him. Her troubled sigh echoed throughout the empty room. There was nothing to do but think and wait.

=*=

The inactive Stargate had never annoyed him so much. It bothered the others, too. He could see that in their expressions.

O'Neill paced restlessly, going up and down the stairs in between the briefing room and the control room. He jumped at the slightest of noises but it took calling his name several times to reach his conscious through his distracted state of mind.

Jonas kept appearing and disappearing. He'd be sitting quietly in the corner of the control room one minute and headed off to the infirmary the next, to keep Doctor Fraiser informed and to make sure once again that there'd been no change in Major Carter's condition.

General Hammond had lasted all of ten minutes before the other two men began to make him nervous, taking to his office to wait alone in relative peace. Teal'c suspected it was also so he could keep calling the infirmary to make sure nothing new had happened.

It was something he could understand. Even he was growing tired of keeping a silent vigil, waiting for Jacob Carter to either respond to their message or to arrive in person. They were hoping he would be able to explain more about the device the Goa'uld had used on Major Carter, and how to remove it.

Without a word to anyone, Teal'c headed out of the control room, down the stairs into the maze of corridors. He passed the infirmary after stepping out of the elevator on the right floor and went straight to the observation room, passing Doctor Fraiser on her way out.

" Teal'c." She didn't seem surprised to see him, greeting him with a weak but still warm smile. " Have you come to keep Sam company for a while?"

" I have." He nodded at her, gazing in concern at the telltale lines of defeat on her face. " Has Anat made her presence known yet?"

Doctor Fraiser shook her head, relief shining in her eyes. " Not yet, thankfully. Sam is still Sam.. She's still determined no one should enter the room, though. I suggested using restraints but she said it would be too dangerous. Anat's too strong."

" She is a wise woman." Although he didn't like the idea of her being in solitary confinement, he agreed with her that it was the right thing to do. " We will not let Anat defeat us, Doctor Fraiser. I will not let the Goa'uld triumph over Major Carter."

" I know you won't, Teal'c." The smile that accompanied her words was genuine. " Thank you." She reached out for his hand and gave it a small squeeze. " Try cheering her up. She hasn't said much since she was sealed in there."

She left him without another word, leaving the way into the observation room clear. Quickly but soundlessly, he entered the room and sat beside the microphone. It wasn't an ideal situation but he knew their conversation would still be private – only she would be able to hear what he said and vice-versa.

" Samantha Carter." It felt strange, and wrong, to use her rank so he settled for her name. He watched her glance up at the room in surprise, obviously not expecting anyone to come and talk to her.

" Teal'c, hi." She smiled a little, her expression one of relief and gratitude. He imagined it would be lonely to have no one for company but herself and wondered why she'd refused the suggestion of being restrained so she could at least have someone in the room with her, someone to hold her hand and offer her comfort.

Remembering his own experience with the tough binds that had kept him down when he'd needed to be subdued, he began to understand her decision. " How are you?"

" I'm okay, I guess." She shrugged her shoulders noncommittally, her arms wrapped around herself. " Better for being out of the infirmary gown." She tried to lighten the heavy atmosphere, referring to the fact she managed to convince the Doctor into letting her wear sweat pants and a tank top – a much more comfortable outfit than the thin and starchy infirmary gowns. " Have you heard anything from my father yet?"

" Not as yet." He hated seeing the disappointment she tried to hide flare briefly in her eyes. " But I am sure he will contact us or arrive shortly. As soon as he receives our message, he will come."

" I wish I could be so sure."

He was sure he wasn't supposed to hear the softly muttered comment but chose to acknowledge it anyway. " Your father will do all he can to get here.. Did something occur to make you believe otherwise?"

She shrugged again, appearing a little more uncomfortable that she had done before. " We.. we had a minor disagreement before he left. He's not too happy with me at the moment."

" I see." And he was pretty sure he did. He had witnessed the multiple conversations between the Colonel and the retired General and had sensed the tension between father and daughter after the initial panic was over. He had also been witness to the set shoulders and grim features Jacob Carter had sported when he left – two days after his daughter had taken off to an undisclosed location. " Your father will return. He will not turn his back on you when you need him. No father can do that to their child."

" He's done it before." She gave him a sad smile. " You still miss Rya'c, don't you?"

" I do. Very much." Just the thought of his son – and his late wife – was enough to increase his sombre mood. " Just as I know your father misses you, even if he does not show it."

A companionable, thoughtful silence settled over them. After a few moments, the silence grew strained. They were both trying to think of a way to bring up the topic they'd both previously been avoiding.

" Teal'c?" She lifted her face to the observation window, her eyes conflicted. " If it comes down to it, will you promise to end this?"

" End it?" He knew what she meant. He'd read the same question in her eyes earlier on. " You wish me to end your life to stop Anat?"

Feeling bad for asking, knowing she was putting him in a difficult not to mention horrible position and that it would be hard for him to carry out her request, Sam nodded slowly. " Yes, that's what I mean. I know it's a horrible thing to ask but you're the only one I trust to do this, Teal'c. I'd like you to promise you'll stop me from hurting anyone I care about. If Anat tries to do something and I can't stop her, I want you to stop her for me. You're the only one I trust to do this."

" It would not be easy," Teal'c agreed quietly, his gaze never leaving her face. " But if it is what you wish, I will. I do not wish for you to suffer anymore, Samantha."

" Thank you, Teal'c."

Despite the depressing nature of their conversation, Sam felt as though a heavy burden had been lifted from her shoulders. The one thing she worried about being a Goa'uld, a little more than attempting to destroy the planet, was hurting one of her friends. She didn't think she could live with herself if she hurt anyone she cared for.

Unfortunately, the burden Teal'c had relieved her of was now resting solely on his shoulders. He understood her request, knew how difficult it had been for her to ask and knew she understood how he would feel about it. But it did seem like their only choice. If Sam couldn't stop Anat, someone would have to. It made sense that that someone should be Teal'c, a man who had more reason to despise the Goa'uld than most. It made sense to ask him because the only other people she'd trust with the task would never do it.

After a long, pregnant pause, Teal'c bid her farewell and left quietly. The mood surrounding him was sombre, like a dark cloud constantly hovering above him. He chose not to return to the control room, heading instead for his private quarters where he would once again begin to prepare himself in case his worst nightmare and deepest fear became inevitable.

=*=

More than two hours after the original message had been sent to the Tok'ra, Jacob Carter arrived. He blamed his tardiness on the Tok'ra relocating to another new planet to establish a new base and instantly demanded to be taken to see his daughter. He wasn't pleased when he was told it wasn't possible, and that the next best thing was talking to her via a microphone and speaker.

He felt bad for the way he'd left things with her. Selmac was responsible for the most part; having an inner conscience with a sometimes loud and persistent voice that couldn't always be – and rarely was - silenced went a long way in increasing the guilt he already felt. He still didn't approve, and had no intention of changing his mind, but he did feel bad about confronting her so soon after her recovery.

Her so-called recovery.

When he'd heard the message from the SGC, his heart had literally stopped for a moment. His chest had tightened, he hadn't been able to breathe.. If it weren't for Selmac..

He'd been kicking himself mentally ever since – and Selmac had been scolding herself, too. They had both see the first MRI scan, heard Doctor Fraiser comment on the irregularity but they, like everyone else, had been so ready and eager to believe it was over that they'd rejected the possibility that maybe something more sinister was afoot.

They had known about the device that could stop a host from knowing they were one. The Tok'ra didn't know what effect it would have on the Tau'ri medical equipment but they should have known.. *He* should have suspected.

Her rescue had been too good to be true. Baals offer too generous, Anat too willing to be genuine.

" Sam?" Ignoring General Hammond and Doctor Fraiser's attempts at getting his opinion on the Goa'uld device, Jacob went straight for the microphone and addressed his daughter. His voice was thick, his eyes focused solely on her. " Sweetheart?"

" Dad." For a brief moment, her surprise was reflected on her face before she managed to school her features into a neutral expression. " Hi.. Thanks for coming."

He couldn't blame her for her reaction. Selmac obviously thought he was responsible for it. " I came as soon as I heard. How are you?"

" I'm fine, considering what's going on." She shifted uncomfortably on the bed, her eyes flittering from her father to the General to Jack and back to her father. " So do you know what's going on? Does Selmac recognise the device on the scan?"

" Yes. We both do." Swallowing his discomfort, Jacob bowed his head and let Selmac take over. It was too painful for him to be in control to witness how cool Sam was behaving towards him. " The Tok'ra have seen this device before. Both Jacob and I regret that we did not make the connection sooner, we did not know how the device would effect your technology."

" What does the device do exactly?" Janet distracted Selmac's attention from Sam, earning a grateful glance from her friend. " We know it somehow prevents Sam from accessing Anats memories and sensing her presence.. But obviously Anat can still access Sam's mind otherwise she wouldn't be able to fool us all into thinking she's Sam."

" We don't know for certain how the device affects the host and symbiote." Selmac gazed at the image on the screen. " We do know the device was designed by the Goa'uld, we are not sure which one, but we know the device is somehow based on a similar design the Tollan used. I believe you've had experience with it before. The Tollan created a technology that allowed the host and symbiote to become two separate entities and also displayed to the outside who was in control."

Teal'c and Jack exchanged a knowing look. They had seen what Selmac was talking about. It had been used a few years ago in a Tollan version of an Earth trial to separate Skaara from the Goa'uld who inhabited his body.

" We know the Goa'uld device works to mask the symbiotes presence by emitting a small amount of radiation that helps to cover the traces of naquada in a host. In Samantha's case, it worked to disguise the extra naquada in her body." Selmac appeared apologetic. " Jacob and I should have realised it was the device interfering with your technology. I cannot tell you how sorry we are that we missed it. As for how much access the Goa'uld has to her mind, I cannot be certain. From what the Tok'ra understand, the host is entirely unaware of the symbiotes presence and the symbiote in turn can only access recent memories of what the host has done."

" Well that's all very interesting but no one's mentioned the most important issue." Everyone turned to the Colonel expectantly. " How do we get that thing out of her and get rid of the snake once and for all?"

Selmac once again looked apologetic – and more than a little uncomfortable. " The Tok'ra have only ever come across this technology three times before. Only once has it been removed successfully without permanent damage to the host."

" So you know how to do it?" Jonas, hovering as usual, stood between Janet and Teal'c, gazing at the Tok'ra expectantly. He still found it hard to believe there were two minds, two personalities, existing within one body. It was perplexing as well as amazing that he could be standing talking to Selmac one moment and Jacob the next. " If it's been done before, it can be done again. You learnt from your mistakes the first two times.."

" Unfortunately, only one Tok'ra learned how to successfully perform the operation." Selmac gazed down at the woman sitting in the room below them. Jacob wasn't the only one grieving for a child possibly lost to the enemy for good. " That operative is.. no longer with us."

" Who was it?" Teal'c had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

General Hammond watched expectantly, waiting for Selmac or Jacob to answer. " If we know who it was, maybe the Tok'ra can find some notes or information that can help Doctor Fraiser and her team remove it safely.." He prompted quietly.

" I'm afraid that won't be possible, George." Jacob was the one who answered, his jaw clenched and his fists rolled into tight balls at his sides. " The.. Tok'ra.. in question was Anise. As you can imagine, she either took her notes on the procedure with her or destroyed them after the incident on Aleris. Before we learnt who she really was."

" Anat." Sam's voice was so small and quiet they could have easily missed it. " Anat's the only one who can remove it?"

" I'm so sorry, Sam. We'll find another way, I promise." Jacob met her eyes, pained to see them shimmering despite the distance between them. " We're not giving up. Never."

Sam didn't answer verbally. She nodded in acknowledgement, lowering her head. Quietly, General Hammond led Jacob from the room.

Jack intended to stay, maybe to talk to her or just keep her company. He managed to stay for all of five minutes, feeling Jonas and Teal'c watching him. It wasn't their stares that drove him to leave or the discomfort he felt because of the attention they were giving him. It was the sight of Sam, of the soldier who'd been fighting by his side for over five years, who had earned the respect and awe of more than just a dozen officers on base, who'd had her strength and intelligence tested time and time again and always came through victorious.. It was the sight of that woman he knew, that woman he loved, looking so lost and so alone. It was knowing there was nothing he could do to help.

" Colonel.." Jonas took a step towards the door, moving as if to follow the Colonel out of the room, only to be stopped by Teal'c blocking his way. " Teal'c?"

" It would be best to leave O'Neill alone," Teal'c advised quietly. " If he wishes to speak, he will do so in his own time." He left without giving the other man – alien – a chance to respond.

" Doctor Fraiser.. Janet.." Jonas turned to the Doctor with a thoughtful frown. " Is there something more between the Colonel and Sam..?"

Janet shushed him with a look, quickly checking the microphone was switched off and that the hallway outside was clear. " There are things called regulations, Jonas. If Sam and the Colonel were ever to do something.. or admit they have feelings for each other in front of the wrong people.. Well. Let's just say it would probably be the end of SG-1 so in the future, don't even think of that subject here on base."

" Understood." He smiled a little at her defensive and protective nature towards her friends. " So how are you?"

" What do you mean?" Almost immediately, she distracted herself with some files. " I'm fine."

" Janet." Jonas reached out and took the folder from her hand. " You've been distracted ever since we found out about Sam."

Shrugging one shoulder, Janet gazed out of the window at their oblivious friend. " I should have known something was wrong with her. I should have double and triple checked until I got a clear scan the first time I tried, without having to clear it up manually. I should have done more, done something, to stop this from happening."

" You did all you could." His voice was soft, comforting. " You're the best Doctor in the facility.. The best of anywhere if the reports I've read are anything to go by. No one blames you for not noticing.. No one but you." He smiled when she looked up at him uncertainly. " You didn't cause this, the Goa'uld did. Luckily you spotted it before Anat could make Sam do something she'd regret. I bet Sam's grateful for that."

Discreetly wiping her eyes, Janet turned away from the window and gave him a small watery smile. " Thank you, Jonas."

" You're welcome." He felt something warm cover his hand, looking down to see it was hers. He stayed with her, unmoving, for a few minutes before a nurse interrupted, giving him a reason to leave.

Concentrating on the readings being sent to her from the room below, Janet allowed a small amount of the tension that had been plaguing her ease from her shoulders. Like Jacob had promised his daughter, they would never give up. They – she – would never stop looking for a way to save Sam. Not until there was no one left to save.

=*=

After two hours of preparing himself, Jack left his office and went straight to the observation room. He didn't give himself time to pause, knowing a moment of hesitation could lead to him changing his mind.

He was relieved to find the room empty with the exception of one of Janet's nurses, who left with a smile the moment she saw him. Settling himself in the chair by the microphone after closing the door, Jack stared down on her, gazing at her in contemplation.

She was curled up on the bed, under the thin sheets. The lights had been dimmed so he couldn't see her face clearly enough to tell whether she was awake or sleeping. She always slept curled up; he knew that from experience. Occasionally, she curled up around him but more often than not, she was the one sleeping curled up in his arms.

Clearing his throat, fighting the impulse to go and join her, Jack reached for the microphone. " Cart.. Sam?"

He knew immediately she hadn't been sleeping. She uncurled herself, sitting up on the bed and wrapping her arms around her knees. " Colonel.. Jack." She smiled a little as she corrected herself, obviously seeing something in his posture that said he wasn't there as her CO. " Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

" I could ask you the same thing." He looked at her and saw his lover, his friend. He saw an incredible scientist and a courageous soldier. He didn't see an enemy, a Goa'uld. He just saw her. " How are you doing? Seriously?"

" Okay." She shrugged a little, sighing softly. " Well, not okay.. Tired for the most part. I don't want to go to sleep just in case she takes advantage.."

Jack nodded, seeing her point. He studied her through the glass, leaning forward to see her better. The shadows caused by the dim lighting did nothing to help the ghostly pallor of her face or the circles under her eyes. She looked exhausted, tense and on edge. " You should get some rest, you're not going to be able to fight her if you stop yourself from getting any sleep."

" Easier said than done." She rolled her eyes at him, stifling a yawn with her hand, feeling something recriminating in his heavy gaze. " What's the real reason you came to see me, Jack? What do you want to talk about?"

" I just wanted to make sure you really were okay and that there wasn't anything you wanted to talk about." His casual tone was as false as the grin plastered across his face.

" Liar." One word wiped the grin from his mouth. " I know when something's bothering you. Just come out and say what's on your mind and then maybe we can both get some sleep."

She watched as he lifted first one shoulder and then the other, shrugging off her question as he stared at something just to the left of her. He was delaying giving her an answer but she knew he would eventually. " I just want to know why you didn't tell me sooner," he blurted out suddenly after a long pause of trying to get his thoughts together. " At the cabin, it was just the two of us – I thought it was just the two of us. Why didn't you tell me then.. unless it was Anat in control?"

" Anat wasn't in control of me there. Not the whole time. Maybe once or twice." She shifted on the bed, trying to get comfortable. It wasn't easy when her mind started playing cruel tricks on her, bringing to mind all the possibilities of things Anat could have done while she was in control. " I didn't tell you because I didn't want to worry you. I wanted to get Janet's opinion on the matter before saying anything to make sure it was something worth causing you and everyone else to worry.. I didn't know she was still here, Jack. I had no idea or I would've spoke up sooner.."

" Whether you knew or not isn't the issue. Your choosing not to tell me is. We were there for two weeks, Sam. You had plenty of opportunities to tell me.."

" And then what? You'd bring me straight back here, cutting our time together short and we wouldn't have talked about what we did.. We probably wouldn't have had time to talk out and get passed all of our differences and would still be apart if I'd told you the moment I thought something was wrong --"

Her tirade was cut short by an agonized cry. He stared in horror through the glass as she fell back against the bed, struggling to catch her breath, a hand going instantly to her head.

" Sam? Carter!" He slammed his hand down on the alarm button so hard his palm stung and turned red instantly.

His eyes never left her as the klaxons blared and red lights flashed in both of the rooms they were in. As he watched, he became horrified at the sight of her eyes flashing golden yellow, her face contorting into a grimace as she sat up on the bed, looking around in confusion.

Sam was gone; Anat had returned.

=*=

Something was wrong. For starters, she was alone in a room that looked suspiciously like a lab. Glancing around, Anat was surprised to recognise the room. It was the same place she'd done the zatarc testing for the Tau'ri fools, where she'd watched two in particular make painful confessions and witnessed the realisation and dread flare in their eyes as they learnt Martouf was a victim of zatarc technology.

She wondered briefly what they'd say now if they knew she and Baal were responsible for it.

The flashing lights and loud noises brought her back to the present. It had been harder to take over her host this time, almost as if Samantha knew she was there and was fighting her. When she'd managed, the first thing she'd seen was the dull, grey wall.

Pushing herself up and off the bed, Anat paced the edge of the room, peering at the various pieces of technology. Her eyes widened at the image on one of the monitors surrounding her. She knew what she was looking at: herself and the device Baals Jaffa had implanted in her hosts mind.

Her eyes flashing, Anat stared up at the window she knew was there. She watched as Doctor Fraiser and Jonas Quinn, followed quickly by the Jaffa Teal'c, General Hammond and the Tok'ra Selmac, symbiote of Jacob Carter, joined Colonel O'Neill in staring down on her.

" We know it's you, Anat." Selmac spoke with a barely controlled voice, glaring at her with such hatred that she smiled. Selmac had been like a mentor to her, Jacob like a father. How easy it had been to deceive them. " We know about the technology you've used. You might as well give up. Whatever you're planning, you won't succeed."

" That's a matter of opinion, Selmac." Anat managed to give them a twisted smile, controlling the feelings of panic and fear within. She was a Goddess, a Queen. She may be trapped temporarily by the Tau'ri but she would triumph in the end. She was far more superior that them. " Some would say I have already succeeded. I managed to fool you all and Samantha into thinking I was gone. I got my revenge on Aten, making sure I was the last thing he saw before he died. I'd say I've done quite well for myself. Wouldn't you agree?"

" Maybe up until now.. But you won't get away with doing anything else. And next time, we'll not only make sure you're removed from Carter but we'll make sure you're destroyed as well." Jack stared down at her, his whole posture tense. He refused to see her as Sam. She was not the woman he saw her as.

Anat only laughed at the threat, leaning casually against the bed. She kept her gaze locked on the Colonel, wondering if he knew how much trouble she could get him in. With her memories as Anise and Sam's memories and her own experiences while pretending to be Sam.. She could make the Colonel blush an attractive blood-like shade of red and then enjoy watching the colour drain from his face as the two Generals by his side reacted to her news. " Now, now, *Jack*. That isn't very nice of you considering.." She smiled at the slight tightening of his jaw and turned her attention to other things – namely her freedom. Her voice changed to that of the Goa'uld rather than the host. " I will ask you only once. Release me from this room and grant me access to your Stargate or I will kill my host."

" You should know from Major Carters memories and from your own time spent with us that that is not an option." Keeping his expression stern, General Hammond found he had the same problem everyone else had: trying to remind himself that she was not who she appeared to be. " We will not let you leave with Major Carter as a hostage."

" You would rather see her die?" She smiled again, already knowing the answer to her question." Believe me, General Hammond, I always keep my promises and I swear Major Carter will be the one who suffers if you deny my request."

" That's a risk I have to take."

Her eyes narrowed. " Very well. You leave me no other choice." Letting her eyes close, Anats features adopted an expression of deep concentration. She lifted a hand to her chest, feeling her heartbeat, focusing on slowing it down.

As a gasp escaped her, the machines in the room she was in and the machines in the observation room went haywire. Loud and shrill beeps echoed around the two small spaces, coinciding with a small crash as Anat – Sam – fell from the bed to the floor, knocking a metal tray that had held the remnants of her lunch to the ground as she collapsed.

" Sam!" Janet moved closer to the window, banging on the glass as her friends pulse slowed, seeing Sam on her knees, struggling to catch her breath. " Sir, permission to do something?"

" Denied, Doctor." General Hammond ground his teeth together, his short fingernails digging into his palms. " It could be a trap. We can't risk Anat taking you or any of your team as a hostage."

" Sir, she's killing her!" Aghast, Janet spun away from the window, unable to watch what was happening. " If I can just get close enough to inject a sedative.."

Gravely, the General shook his head and stood firm. " I cannot risk it, Doctor. Major Carter herself requested to be left alone under these circumstances."

" Ah, Sir.." Jonas stared with wide eyes and an open mouth, glancing between his superior and the woman writhing around in agony on the floor below. " I don't think the Goa'uld is in any position to hurt Doctor Fraiser.. And Sam doesn't look so good.."

The Goa'uld had relinquished control in order to induce such anguish and misery in its host. Sam couldn't find a comfortable position; if she curled up tightly to try and fight the terrible stomach cramps, a wave of pain would assault her back and legs, leaving her no choice but to stretch out. Her lungs refused to fill with air, beads of cold sweat ran down her forehead and cheeks and her eyesight was failing. Objects became blurred, the edges of her vision tinged with black as dizziness set in.

" Sam!" In some distant part of her mind, she heard and recognised her fathers alarmed voice cutting through the approaching darkness. " George, we have to do something!"

Her chest tightened, a sharp stabbing pain striking her heart. She couldn't stop the cry that came unbidden to her lips.

" Carter!" A chair was slid noisily out of the way. She could hear Jack calling to her but couldn't respond. " Damn it, Sam! Fight it! Fight *her*! You're stronger than this. Don't let her win!"

" Can't.." It took too much strength to say just one word.

General Hammond could sympathise with her difficulty in speaking and breathing. He felt a single bead of sweat run down his face as he stood watching, an unwilling witness to her death. " Doctor." His voice was gruff when he spoke. " Is there anything you can do from here?"

" No Sir." Distress showing in her hazel eyes, Janet chewed on her lip as the machines continued beeping, growing louder with every passing minute. " Sir, Major Carters heart rate is dropping rapidly. If we don't do something soon.."

" Jacob, have you or Selmac any suggestions?" He was running out of options. If they didn't want to watch her die, someone would have to offer him another solution – and quickly. His old friend shook his head, grief heavily lining his face. " Teal'c? Colonel? Jonas? Anyone have any ideas?"

Jonas looked blank, Jack looked anywhere but at him or the woman in question. Teal'c stared sightlessly at the glass.

" We could let Anat go," Jonas said meekly.

" We'd lose track of her and probably wouldn't find her again until it was too late." His voice sounded as though it was coming from a distance. Jack could almost believe someone else had spoken. " Who knows what Anat would make Carter do then."

" It might be the only way to keep her alive, Jack." Jacob swallowed hard at the thought of allowing his daughter to remain one of the enemy just so she would live.

Teal'c blinked once, focusing on the figure below, straining to hear what she was saying, her voice no louder than the faintest of whispers. His shoulders tensing, he rejoined the conversation. " Samantha Carter does not wish to live as a host. She would rather die than live as a prisoner in her own body, forced to witness the atrocities caused by the parasite she carries."

" She won't be forced to witness anything if we let her die. Instead, the last thing she'll remember is that we left her to die when we could have stopped it." Jacob shut out Selmac's voice; he didn't want to hear what she had to say. He didn't care about whether it meant Anat would go free.. As long as it kept his daughter alive a little bit longer so he could still hope for her rescue. " George, please. Let Anat go where she wants to. The Tok'ra will be able to track her down and then we can save Sam. Please."

" She knows too much about this facility, Jacob. If I let that information fall into the hands of the Goa'uld.." General Hammond hesitated, his alarm growing as he watched the Majors skin adopt an unhealthy blue hue.

" The Goa'uld can't get those memories until that device is gone! And they probably already have all Sam will let them get – Anat probably told Baal everything she knew. You've already changed the codes, you can change them again when she's gone." He was getting desperate and no one could blame him. It was his only daughter dying just a few feet away.

She stopped moving. Her pulse beat at less regular intervals, there were longer pauses between the blips on the screen.

" General.."

" George!"

Before the General could speak, Jack reached for the microphone and spoke into it as calmly as his own pounding heart would allow. " Okay, Anat. You've proved your point. We'll talk about it." There was no response or movement from the prone woman. " General?"

Swallowing hard, the General took the offered microphone from the Colonel and took a deep breath. " You can go where you want to go, Anat. Just let Major Carter live and we can talk."

After what seemed like an eternity of nothing but persistent beeping, Sam gasped, her body shuddering with the effort. Her arms shaking, she pushed herself up and stared at them. In the few moments before Anat took over, General Hammond thought he saw something akin to betrayal or disappointment written across her features.

" You have chosen wisely." Anat stood shakily, leaning heavily on the bed at her side as she struggled to regulate her hosts breathing and heart, fighting Samantha who didn't seem to want her to. " Release me now and no harm will come to her."

He nodded in agreement but he couldn't fight the feeling he'd already caused something bad to happen to the host. As General Hammond arranged for Anat to be escorted to the Gateroom by several armed SFs, he felt like he'd made a terrible mistake by letting his companions – and his own feelings – get the better of him.

He noticed the grateful glances sent his way by all but Teal'c, seeing understanding in the Jaffas eyes but also seeing regret and disapproval.

The Stargate activated, locking on the coordinates of Anats desired location. Smiling smugly, Anat walked up the ramp, pausing when she reached the top. She turned around, her smile widening for some unknown reason. With a nod of her head, she turned back to the shimmering circle and stepped through without hesitation.

The gate shut down behind her. Silence fell over the occupants of the room.

General Hammond stood alone at the briefing room window, one thought reverberating through his mind: 'What have I done?'

=*=

Three days. Anat sighed deeply and sat down on her bed in the palace. Three *whole* days. That's how long she'd been with Baal; that was how long she had been pining for the attention and affection the Tau'ri had shown her when they believed her to be Samantha.

It wasn't that Baal wasn't attentive. He was; he barely left her side unless she lost her temper with his smothering and demanded to be alone. He listened to her, did as she asked without question, agreed to all of her plans without argument.

She found it boring. She found it lonely. On the second day, she'd asked for the device to be removed so she could 'torment her host'. In reality, she wanted to hear Samantha's voice berating her and wanted to freely access her host's memories. Anat hadn't expected her newfound freedom to make it worse.

Almost without knowing it, Anat began comparing their memories. The more she did, the worse she felt. Her memories of Baal fell short when she compared them with Samantha's memories of Jack. Her relationship with Baal was one-sided, dull, boring.. He always agreed with her and never argued. Samantha and her Colonel, however, argued heatedly. Their relationship was based on mutual respect and they listened to each other, talked and argued with each other. They worked together at making their relationship a success and at meeting their targets, professionally and personally. They made a good team.

Anat had never been part of a team. She had never trusted anyone enough, she had never had a true friend. The only person she could truly rely on was herself and realising that made her acknowledge how lonely she would actually be if she suddenly ran out of things to do.

Growling in the pit of her throat, Anat angrily pushed herself up from the bed, stomping out of the room, the floating material of her gown swaying about her ankles as she walked.

She could go anywhere. The passing Jaffa acknowledged her by bowing but said nothing. No one would stop her; she knew that. She could easily leave if she wanted but where would she go? Where would offer her the feelings of comfort and love that she craved? The Jaffa around her worshipped her and would obey her every command but she was still strangely unsatisfied.

She wanted more. More than Baal would give if he remained a slave to his current host. The host influenced the symbiote almost as much as it was influenced by the symbiote. If only she could change that..

" My Queen." A Jaffa hurried towards her, kneeling on the floor in front of her when he got close enough. " Lord Baal requests your presence. He is ill, my Queen. The sarcophagus does not work to heal him.."

" Take me to him." Unable to repress a small smile, Anat followed the Jaffa down the hallway towards Baal's wing of the palace. If Baals host were considerably weakened, it would be the perfect time to implement her plan and claim a new host for her love. She rolled her eyes at the voice at the back of her mind, ignoring the protests her host had regarding her plans.

Once inside the room, she knelt at Baals side, only a little alarmed to see a light trickle of blood run down a recently reopened cut on his forehead. Wiping it gently with a cloth Bur'nok handed her, Anat cupped Baals cheek and tilted his ashen face up so she could look into his eyes.

" Anat.. My love." Baal gasped painfully, his eyes dull with misery. " You were right.. The sarcophagus is of no use to me anymore.."

" You have been involved in thousands of battles, Baal. Your host can only handle so much." Tenderly stroking his face, Anat was surprised when a new wound – or old wound – appeared and reopened under her fingertips, making him flinch away. " It is time, my love, to put our plan in action. We do not have long; you grow weaker with every passing second. We must act now."

Baal gazed up at her adoringly, his breathing becoming laboured as the invisible weight he felt on his chest increased. " You have a plan.. my Queen?"

Her eyes glowed ominously and her smile grew. " I have a plan," she confirmed. " An offer the Tau'ri cannot refuse."

=*=

Nothing. No reaction. Not the smallest hint of a smile. Not even the smallest hint of a hint of a smile. Absolutely nothing at all. He hadn't even moved or looked up from the cup of coffee in his hands, the one he'd been clutching for well over an hour.

Teal'c and Jonas exchanged concerned glances. No matter what they said or did, the Colonel just continued to sit there. Doing absolutely nothing, apparently so lost in thought nothing in the outside world could break through and shatter the vice-like grasp unreality had over him.

On the first day of her absence, the Colonel had been impossible to still. He fidgeted, paced, broke things, took turns at facing both of them in the gym in mini boxing sessions, paced a little more, lost his temper for no apparent reason, stormed out of the commissary because there was no red jell-O left and then returned to the gym until Doctor Fraiser had coaxed him to his quarters under the threat of duress – not to mention a big, pointy needle attached to a syringe of a very strong sedative.

On the second, they were given permission to go through the Stargate to the address Anat had chosen. They had searched for hours, wandering around in circles, unable to find any sign of Anat or of any civilisation, old or new. Eventually they'd been forced to admit defeat and Jonas had surmised that Anat has used the DHD to dial to another planet straight away in a successful attempt to elude them. The comment hadn't helped the Colonels rapidly diminishing grasp on his temper.

Day three had seen a change in him. The Tok'ra had sent word that they had checked out all of the known planets Baal and Anat were known to visit and had found no sign of either of them. General Hammond was doing his best to reassure himself he'd made the right decision; Jacob Carter and Selmac were doing their best to convince each other they'd find her. That left Jonas and Teal'c to cheer up the Colonel and try to boost his almost entirely drained optimism.

" Anat is not the type of Goa'uld to go quietly, O'Neill." Teal'c tried again, studying his friend intently. He had never seen the Colonel so easily swayed, so ready to give up. Then again, he guessed his friend hadn't fully recovered from the strain of going through all of the traumatic events that had taken place recently: the loss of Daniel Jackson, his own blending with the Tok'ra, his torture at Baals hands and everything else that had happened after Major Carter had first fallen prey to the Goa'uld. " Sooner or later, she will draw attention to her whereabouts."

" By slaughtering thousands and leading us to the resulting bloodbath," Jack muttered without looking up. " Carter'll never forgive us for letting her go. She's never gonna forgive us if we let Anat do something like that."

" So we'll find her before." Chiming in, Jonas took his cue from the nod Teal'c gave in his direction. " The Tok'ra are looking for her, General Hammond said we can start searching tomorrow.. All of the other SG-units have been debriefed and told to report back immediately if they see or hear anything. Sam's strong, Colonel. She'll fight Anat and be waiting for us to find her."

Again, there was no movement even though Jack responded verbally. " You underestimate the strength of the Goa'uld, Jonas. Carter couldn't stop Anat from killing Shar'ac or from trying to kill her twice.. She couldn't stop Jolinar from trying to blow us all to hell, I know you've read the reports.. I couldn't stop Kanan from taking over me."

" We will find her, O'Neill. Major Carter is a strong, resourceful woman. She will not let Anat defeat her so easily." Getting to his feet, Teal'c looked down on his friend pitifully. " You are letting her down by giving up on her. She may not forgive us for letting Anat leave immediately but she will never forgive your betrayal if you lose your faith in her."

He left quietly and after a split-second, Jonas took the hint and followed, casting one last glance over his shoulder at his Commanding Officer.

When they were gone, Teal'c's words managed to sink through the numbness that had plagued his mind. Straightening in his chair, Jack looked up from the cold cup of coffee, gazing thoughtfully into space.

She had never given up him; not when he was on Argos, Edora.. Not when he'd gone walkabouts with his oh-so-helpful Tok'ra buddy.. Not when he'd been trapped in Teal'c's body or pinned to the Gateroom wall or any of the other times the hazards of their day jobs had caught up with him. She'd always kept going, believed in him, known he'd come back eventually.

He owed it to her to believe the same thing. She'd survive this; she'd get through it just like she got through everything else. All he had to do was play his part and hope fate was still on their side. If he gave up on her, how could he expect her not to give up on herself?

=*=

" Anat knows. She almost came out and said it. In front of George! I told you it was a bad idea, that it'd get them into trouble – get Sam into trouble! I told you she'd end up regretting it!"

" You do not know Samantha regrets anything. You have no way of knowing what goes on in her head or what she feels in her heart." Selmac sighed impatiently as she listened to Jacobs ranting. She knew he was preoccupying himself with anger so he wouldn't dwell on his fear but it did get annoying after a while. The Tau'ri were so intelligent yet so foolish sometimes! Hiding their feelings achieved nothing; Selmac couldn't understand why they didn't do as the Tok'ra did and acknowledge how they felt, discussing it until all parties were satisfied with the outcome. 'Yes,' she sighed again. 'The Tau'ri are still young when it comes to matters of the heart.' " You do not know for certain there is anything for Anat to know and use against Samantha or the Colonel. You still do not know for certain if there is any truth to your suspicions."

Growling, Jacob narrowed his eyes as he sat down. " I know enough, Selmac. I *know* my daughter. I've seen the way she looks at him, and how he looks at her.. It was more than a coincidence that they left for somewhere unknown on the same day – I bet they were together!"

" Jacob." Another heavy sigh was Selmac's response. " You do not know your daughter well enough to predict how she feels and you don't know her well enough to make assumptions. I know you don't want to admit it but you don't spend enough time with Samantha to know everything that is going on in her life. Yes, I agree, there are certain feelings in existence between Samantha and Colonel O'Neill but you *still* have no evidence they had chosen to act on those feelings. Give your daughter the benefit of doubt. Believe in her to make the decisions that are right for her."

" Selmac.." The knock on the door prevented Jacob from making another comeback. He had to make do with sending his constant companion an internal glare, scowling at the laughter he heard in reply. He was still scowling when he opened the door. " George. Have you heard anything..?"

General Hammond shook his head apologetically, frowning at the scowl still in place on his old friends face. " Is something wrong, Jacob?"

" What? Oh. No." Inwardly, he cursed himself for allowing Selmac to distract him. He also cursed himself for thinking that maybe he should be the one to tell George of the suspicions he was sure were shared by many regarding his daughter and her CO – or at least cursed himself for having not realised Selmac would know where his thoughts were headed. She was currently berating him for even considering it, appalled he would be so willing to get his own daughter in trouble just to prove a point and bring an end to a relationship he wasn't one hundred percent sure existed outside of his mind. " I'm fine, George. Just having a minor disagreement with the voice in my head." He forced a wry smile, standing back to invite the General further into his assigned quarters. " Is there something I can do for you?"

" Actually," General Hammond made himself comfortable by claiming one of the chairs at the small table, " I was wondering if there was something I could do for you. You look like you have a lot on your mind. It might help to get some of it off your chest.."

Pulling out another chair for himself, Jacob lifted one shoulder in a casual shrug. " I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know if I should even think about beginning.."

" It has something to do with Colonel O'Neill, doesn't it?" Studying his friend closely, the General waited for any sort of reaction, striking gold when he saw Jacobs eyes widen ever so slightly. " Don't look so surprised, Jacob. I'm not blind. I've seen the way you've been acting towards each other since you escaped Baals ship. Something happened, didn't it?"

Uncomfortable at the line of questioning and heeding the silent warning he was being given, Jacob squirmed in his seat. " It's not really my place to say.. Maybe you should ask Colonel O'Neill instead."

" Give me some credit. I think I could take a wild guess at what the problem is and have a seventy percent chance of getting it right." If he *was* right in thinking he knew what the problem was, General Hammond was more than a little confused. He had heard his friend talk about Colonel O'Neill in private before, he knew Jacob had once held a great deal of respect and admiration – maybe even affection – for the younger man so why had that suddenly changed? Unless he'd been blind before to what was obvious to most.. " I assume you don't approve?"

" Approve?" Jacob spluttered, sitting up straighter in his chair. " Are you sure we're talking about the same thing..?"

More confident that they were followng the same line of thought, General Hammond smiled mysteriously. " Eventually, you have to let them go, Jacob. You have to trust them to do what's best for them, you have to let them make their own mistakes so they can learn from them.. and so they can find out what's right and what's wrong."

" Spoken like a true father." Jacob couldn't stop a small smile as he remembered a similar conversation they'd shared, quite a while ago, several weeks before Georges daughter had announced her plans to marry. " But what does the General say?"

" The General says he doesn't have any concrete evidence to suggest there's something going on so he can't do anything about it." General Hammond smiled again, a little smugly at the roles finally being reversed. " I respect Sam and Jack as officers under my command and I trust them to do what's best, what's right. Just don't be surprised, Jacob, if one of them someday asks for a change in circumstance. They're grown ups, they know what they're doing.. Or not doing as the case may be."

" You don't have a problem with it?"

He shrugged and got to his feet. " Not until someone makes a complaint." He paused at the door, looking back over his shoulder at his thoughtful friend. " Unless you're making one now?"

Opening his mouth, Jacob seemed to reconsider and closed it again, shaking his head. " No. No complaint." 'Yet,' he added silently, much to Selmac's chagrin.

Nodding, the General opened the door and took one step out into the deserted hallway. " For the record, Jake.. She could do a lot worse."

Jacob looked up just as the door closed. He shut his eyes and groaned as Selmac started to gloat about having someone else on her side. " Oh, shut up."

=*=

" Sir, we're receiving a transmission from P4X793. It's SG-5s code, General. Audio only."

SG-1 plus Jacob arrived in the control room just in time to hear the Sergeant address General Hammond. Jacob felt a little disappointed but also relieved. Anat had been gone, with his daughter as her prisoner, for nearly four days and it was possible she could have done something in that time to make them regret letting her go.

" Put them through," General Hammond ordered, concealing a small sigh. He, too, had been hoping it would be the Tok'ra or someone else with news on Anat – Major Carters - whereabouts.

There was a burst of static over the speakers. Major Edwards voice cut through the crackling interference, his question keeping the members of SG-1 in place. " General Hammond, Sir. Is Colonel O'Neill there, Sir?"

Bewildered that requesting the Colonel's presence was the first thing the Major said, General Hammond glanced quickly at Jack before answering, noticing the Colonel had stopped at the top of the stairs when his name had been mentioned. " Yes, he's here, Major. Is there any reason in particular you need to speak to Colonel O'Neill?"

They were kept waiting for a short while. The voice that eventually responded took them by surprise. It wasn't Major Edwards they were talking to anymore; it was Anat, and she was using Samantha Carters voice to do it.

" There is a reason, General." Her voice, though familiar, was too cold and hard to be solely that of Major Carter. " I demand to meet face-to-face with Colonel O'Neill, with or without his team, within the next hour."

" And if I refuse to grant Colonel O'Neill and his team permission to join you?" General Hammonds jaw tightened at the thought of letting anymore of his people go through the Stargate because of Anat.

A short humourless laugh that sent shivers down their spines accompanied Anats answer. " If he does not arrive on this planet before the hour is up, I will kill all occupants of this world, including your people. There are approximately three hundred people living in this village, women and children among them. I will start with the old and end with the young if my demands are not met. The choice is yours."

Another burst of static ended the transmission. General Hammond didn't have to ask, he knew what it meant. Anat had ended the conversation on her own terms, shutting down the Stargate before they could start trying to talk her out of it or try to reach a compromise. She'd done it deliberately, making sure the last mental image she'd planted in their thoughts lasted the longest, tormenting them, haunting them.

Haunting him. Not for the first time, General Hammond regretted letting her go. The pain of watching Major Carter die and knowing he was responsible for it would have been difficult to live with but the guilt and remorse at knowing what she was going through as a host was worse.

" Sir?" Glancing up, he was startled to find the Colonel had moved closer, an expression of concern on his face.

" Colonel." Acknowledging him, the General looked past him to where Jonas and Teal'c were standing. " Mister Quinn, please go to the infirmary and ask Doctor Fraiser to join us in the briefing room as soon as possible. Jacob, if you can, contact the Tok'ra and ask if there is anyway we can take advantage of Anats request to subdue her. This may be our only chance to get close enough to do something. Let's not waste it."

He left for the briefing room immediately, followed closely by Teal'c and Jack, both eager to get on with it and bring their missing teammate home. Jonas left for the infirmary while Jacob stood staring at the place his friend had been, considering his choice of words.

'Only chance.'

If it was their only chance.. God help them and Sam if they failed.

=*=

Less than ten minutes later, they were all assembled in the briefing room, putting their heads together in an attempt at finding a solution to what seemed like an impossible situation.

" If we go to Nerissa on the way, we can pick up a vial of the poison Doctor Jackson was going to use against the System Lords. The one Lieutenant Elliot used to clear the way for us to get back to the Stargate on Revanna. I haven't mentioned it before because the Tok'ra would only allow it to be used as a last resort. I think we can all agree that time is now." Jacob suggested once they'd all taken their seats and Doctor Fraiser had been brought up-to-date on the situation. " The Tok'ra have been able to create a new batch thanks to the disk Sam saved from falling into Goa'uld hands when Anubis ordered the attack on Revanna. Colonel O'Neill or Jonas could use it on Anat – it should successfully destroy the symbiote without harming Sam."

" Isn't the poison airborne?" Doctor Fraiser asked, her brow creasing as she struggled to remember the details of the formula Sam had discussed with her a while ago. She remembered being told that the poison was lethal to all symbiotes – Goa'uld, Tok'ra and Jaffa alike – so if Jacob and Teal'c were anywhere in the vicinity, it was possible Selmac and Junior would die.

Jacob nodded in response to her question but it was Selmac who answered verbally. " The Tok'ra have modified the chemical. We still have the airborne gas that can be used to destroy many of our enemies with some danger to ourselves but we also have the ability now to inject the two chemicals combined in one formula into one host. It will work within the host to destroy only the symbiote that is present."

" With no risk to the host?" Jonas glanced between the Tok'ra and the Doctor, seeing concern in Janet's eyes that unnerved him.

" It has not yet been tested but we are confident the host will remain unharmed if the joining is recent." Selmac answered calmly and without reproach. A while ago, she might have reacted defensively to the Tau'ri questions but she now knew that they were just being protective of their own. It was a feeling she could emphasise with since her blending with Jacob had increased her own feelings of affection towards Samantha. " If the host and symbiote have been together for years and have grown to depend on one another, the destruction of one would lead to the destruction of the other."

" As soon as the substance is released in her body, will Anat still be able to control her?" Doctor Fraiser made a few notes on her pad, looking up to see Jacobs – Selmacs – reaction to the question as well as awaiting the actual reply. " Or will you be able to bring her back as soon as you've done it?"

Letting her host answer that question, Selmac relinquished control to Jacob. " The Tok'ra believe the Goa'uld will try to fight the effects of the poison much in the same way antibodies fight infection. We're hoping she'll be too distracted trying to stay alive that she won't be able to struggle too much and prevent us from bringing Sam home."

" What if the Goa'uld tries to leave Major Carters body in order to prevent its destruction?" Teal'c questioned, his own concern irked at the multiple possibilities running through his mind. " What if Anat tries to harm her host when she realises what's going on? We have been told by the Tok'ra before that the symbiote releases its own toxin in the host which can be deadly."

" Anat knows trying to leave would be foolish," Jacob shook his head. " She can't live for long without a host. As for her trying to hurt Sam, we know Goa'uld can be particularly vengeful, especially when they're facing defeat. That's why it would be safer for us to bring her here immediately so Doctor Fraiser can keep an eye on her."

The Doctor nodded, agreeing with the plan. She preferred the idea of Sam being under her supervision as the poison took effect on Anat. " So all you need to do is get close enough to inject her with the substance."

" That shouldn't be a problem," Jacob muttered under his breath, casting a quick glance a the Colonel before turning his attention back to the matter at hand. " The only thing we haven't discussed is the device in Sam's mind. We have no way of knowing if Anat has removed it or whether that'll be down to us."

General Hammond frowned at the reminder; he'd forgotten about its existence, concentrating on the problem with the Goa'uld first and foremost. " As long as it won't hurt Major Carter once the Goa'uld is gone, we can deal with it later." He glanced at Jacob, getting a confirmation nod in return. Letting out a heavy breath, the General looked at the faces gathered around the table. " Okay, time is something we don't have much of. Colonel, you and your team go and get ready to leave as soon as possible. You'll leave for P4x793 from Nerissa. Doctor Fraiser, get your best team ready and prepare whatever equipment you might need. I want you on stand-by for when SG-1 and Jacob return with Major Carter. Dismissed, everyone, and good luck."

They all went their separate ways, every mind preoccupied with thoughts of what was going to happen in the next day or so. They all had an important part to play, all would have a role in bringing her back and helping her recover. They couldn't risk getting distracted, they couldn't risk jeopardizing this chance.

General Hammonds words from earlier reverberated in each of their minds. This was it. This was their chance. Their only chance

=*=

The planet was seemingly deserted. They'd made a brief stop at Nerissa but had managed to arrive on P4X793 in plenty of time to meet with Anat. The only problem was that when they arrived, they found no evidence of anyone else being there. The village was deserted, all of the huts abandoned. There was no sign of SG-5 or Anat.

" They couldn't have disappeared." Jack muttered to himself as he walked out of one of the empty homes. " This is definitely the right place."

" Are you sure?" Jacob came out of another hut close by, looking around uneasily. " Could we have the coordinates wrong?"

" SG-1 came here several weeks ago, Jacob Carter." Teal'c looked around, his eyes scanning the patch of wood on the outskirts of the small town. " It was our recommendation that caused General Hammond to set up a treaty with these people and place SG-5 on this planet to help negotiate for mining rights. This is the same planet."

Jonas was about to join the conversation when something moving at the corner of his eye distracted him. Narrowing his eyes, he saw a lone Jaffa exit the woods. " I think we can safely say we have the right planet."

They turned to face the approaching Jaffa, all of them on guard instantly when they recognised him as being Baals First Prime, Bur'nok.

" I have been sent to bring you to Queen Anat." Stopping a few feet away, Bur'nok made no attempt to protect himself from their aimed weapons. " If I do not return with you, Anat will start killing her prisoners."

Lowering his gun, Jack motioned to the others to do the same. In silence, they followed Bur'nok through the small wooded area. Their questions regarding the missing villagers and officers were answered as they reached Anats makeshift camp – they were all confined within a small pen, with force shields for walls, Jaffa guarding the posts emitting the electrical energy.

" Colonel O'Neill.. Jack." Anat greeted him, exiting a large tent as Bur'nok ushered them closer. " Thank you so much for joining us. I'm sure the villagers are very appreciative." She eyed the others speculatively resting a hand on her slender hip. " I see you brought your team.. And Selmac, how nice to see you again. Jacob, that goes for you, too, from both me and your daughter." Smirking at the outrage in the Tok'ra's face, she busied herself by brushing imaginary lint from her gown, taking her own sweet time in letting them know why they had been summoned. " If you'll come with me, my Jaffa will see to your needs and we can discuss why I brought you here."

Spinning on her heel, she disappeared back into the tent, pleased when they followed her. Settling herself among the luxurious cushions she'd had her Jaffa bring, she started unabashedly at them – or at one of them in particular.

They were all shown to similar seats, all feeling uncomfortable but one more so than the others. Jack couldn't ignore the sensation that she was watching him intently. Risking a glance at her, he swallowed hard, recognising the hungry look in her eyes. He'd seen that look in those eyes before, only before it had pleased him. Now it did anything but.

Clearing his throat, Jack turned down the drink offered to him by one of her slaves. " Where's Baal? Wasn't he invited to the party?" He felt the need to say something, to distract her from his increasing discomfort. Glancing around the room, he noticed something else that added to his unease – all of her Jaffa were male. There were no females around to worship her. For some reason, it made his skin crawl.

" Funny you should mention Baal, he is the reason we're here." Anat smiled as two Jaffa fussed over her, one pouring her a drink, the other rearranging the cushions behind her. " Baal needs a new host," she declared as the tent slowly cleared, leaving only Bur'nok and three others to protect her. " His current host has served us for too long, the sarcophagus no longer works and he will die without a new host."

" Tragic." Giving her a one-shouldered shrug, Jack looked to Jacob and then to Teal'c and Jonas. " What do you want us to do about it?"

" Not all of you," Anat smiled again, her eyes meeting his over the brim of the cup. " Just you, Jack."

Sensing the Colonel's ever-growing discomfort and taking pity on him despite his feelings on the subject of his daughter's relationship with the man remaining the same, Jacob interrupted before the temperature could rise any higher. " What do you want, Anat?"

" I want the Colonel to agree to be Baals host, not that it's any business of yours," she added sharply. Straightening, she set the cup she'd been drinking from down, her eyes hardening. " I know the request will have come as a surprise to you so I'm willing to give you time to think it through." She silenced them with a look as Bur'nok helped her to her feet. " Know that if you refuse, I will be forced to look elsewhere. Everyone of these villagers will die tomorrow at midday, with the exception of my chosen Lord, if your answer is no."

Taking their cue from her, SG-1 plus Jacob rose to their feet, glancing at each other in confusion. They followed her from the tent, with Jack and Jacob frowning at the way Bur'nok hovered beside Anat, constantly touching her arm and hand.

" Why the rush?" Jonas wanted to know, ignoring the looks Teal'c sent him telling him to be quiet. " If the answer's no, why chose one of the villagers when you can find someone else..?"

" Time is of the essence." Anat shrugged as casually as she could. " Baal will not live long in his current host. If I cannot give him the host we have chosen, I will have to find a temporary replacement." She walked away from the group, smiling to herself when she felt their eyes on her back as she re-entered the tent.

Bur'nok watched her go, turning to them when she was out of sight and out of earshot. " You are allowed to leave and set up camp for yourselves overnight. If our Goddess has not heard from you by midday, the slaughters will begin."

The expression on his face was enough to make them go. With Teal'c guarding their backs and Jonas leading the way back to the deserted village, Jack and Jacob walked on in silence, both staying alert but both troubled by the events the day had revealed.

=*=

Sitting by the fire, none of them were in any mood to sleep. They'd decided the stay outside rather than taking shelter in any of the houses so they could keep an eye on their surroundings. They also didn't want to intrude in anyone's home, determined to make sure the villagers were released.

" We can't let her kill them," Jonas spoke up as they began lapsing into silence. They had been avoiding the subject while setting up camp but he'd decided it was time to discuss it. " These people are innocent.. The children and village elders don't stand a chance against the Jaffa.."

" They won't fight, they don't have to." Jack stared into the flames, his mind spinning with the mixed thoughts and feelings Anat's request had created within him. " There's another way."

" What are you thinking, O'Neill?" Teal'c looked up at him in concern. " You cannot be contemplating Anat's request?"

Shrugging, Jack broke away from gazing thoughtfully into the fire. He swallowed hard, the thoughts of what he was about to suggest making his stomach churn. On one hand, it was a nightmare come true. On the other, if the plan worked, it would hopefully free Sam as well as bring his nightmares concerning Baal to an end. " I'm not saying that exactly. I think we should reconsider our original plan and maybe change it a little."

" What are you suggesting, Jack?" Even Jacob appeared intrigued; putting whatever conflicts of interest in existence between them to one side. " You have a new idea?"

Swallowing again, tensing, Jack nodded, willing his stomach to settle as he spoke. " We can't let her kill those villagers and we know she'll do that if we don't show up tomorrow – if I don't show up. We have the poison; I could go along with her plans.. Baal obviously isn't here so we'd have to leave for the implantation and she'll have to keep the villagers alive for me to go with her. You guys go back to the SGC tonight and tell General Hammond. In twenty-four hours, get him to send back-up to make sure everyone here is safe."

" What about you?" Jonas frowned at the missing details. " You're going to go with Anat?"

" I'm going to go along with her plan," Jack answered simply. " I'll wait until just before the implantation takes place and inject myself with the poison. Hopefully it'll kill Baal before he realises what's going on and has a chance to release the toxin that'll kill me." He refused to dwell on what could go wrong, concentrating instead on thinking of getting one over on Baal – on managing to destroy him and win the final round. " After he's gone, Anat won't know the difference. She'll be able to sense the naquada and I can use the voice synthesiser to trick her into thinking it's Baal speaking.."

" You have one of those with you?" Jacob cut in, raising an eyebrow in surprise. " Why?"

It was Jonas who answered, a small sheepish grin on his face. " I suggested all SG-units take one with them on missions.. Just in case we ever have to pretend to be Goa'uld to save our lives."

" Hopefully it'll save our lives this time, mine and Carters." Jack continued on, sparing Jonas a small nod to show acknowledgment of a good idea. He hadn't thought so at the time but he could see the benefit of it while sitting there by the fire. " If I can convince her into thinking it worked, I can probably – hopefully – lure her into leaving with me through the Stargate."

" Where would you take her?" Teal'c's mind whirled with the possible planets they could go to and get help.

" Somewhere Anat will be taken from Sam whether she likes it or not. Thor's Hammer was repaired after the Goa'uld attacked. I'm counting on it being in working order. I'd suggest you meet us there but Jacob, you might have a problem with it. Teal'c's okay but I don't think it can tell the difference between Goa'uld and Tok'ra."

Nodding in agreement, Jacob gazed at him with a newfound respect. He'd heard of Thor's Hammer and appreciated the warning but that wasn't why he was staring at the Colonel in concern. " Are you sure you want to risk it, Jack? Baal might kill you when he dies.. And I might not know all of the details but I do know you went through a lot when Baal held you captive. It would be perfectly understandable for you to not want to do this."

Breaking eye contact, uncomfortable at the reference, Jack forced himself to shrug as though it were no big deal. " I don't *want* to do it but I have to. Like General Hammond said, this could be our only chance. We owe it to Carter to do all we can. Even taking risks like this." He swallowed the lump in his throat, his gaze returning back to the centre of the fire. " Besides, killing Baal will be good therapy. I'm looking forward to it."

The edge in his voice was impossible to miss, the meaning in his tone unmistakable. There was more to it than simply rescuing Sam and destroying the Goa'uld responsible for kidnapping her and making her one of them. There was an element of revenge to it, too; a way to get even with Baal for all he'd done, both to Sam and to Jack himself.

It was time to make the final move, the one that would decide once and for all who the winners and losers were.

=*=

The following morning came too soon. They set off in two different directions; Jack headed for Anats camp, the others headed for the Stargate. They didn’t say goodbye as they parted ways, only exchanging 'good lucks' and 'see you soons'. Every step closer he took, his apprehension grew. He couldn't believe he was really going through with the plan. He was really going to agree to being a host *again*, only this time he'd also be saving his enemy. Snatching him from the jaws of death so he could be the one to destroy him again. 'Payback's a bitch.' Jack thought to himself as he covered the distance between himself and the Goa'uld.

Instead of thinking what it would be like to be taken over by the snake he most despised and, despite his best efforts to the contrary, still feared more than anything else, Jack concentrated on the positive things that would hopefully come out of it. The villagers would be spared, the universe would be rid of Baal for good, Sam would have more of a chance at survival.. and that was the important thing. That was why he was doing it.

The moment he arrived at the camp, he was escorted to the tent by two Jaffa. Waiting outside of the tent, Jack clenched his fists as Anat and Bur'nok exited the makeshift dwelling at the same time. There was something about the First Prime that made him feel more on edge than usual.

" Am I interrupting something?" He threw a pointed look in Bur'noks direction, arching an eyebrow at Anat. " Did you chose to go another way?"

" Of course not!" Anat laughed and smiled mischievously. " I assume you being here means you have come to a decision regarding my request?"

Meeting her enquiring gaze, Jack nodded shortly. " I've made my decision."

Staring at him expectantly, Anat sighed impatiently when he made no further comment. " Well?"

" Well what?" Determined not to give in too easily, to show her he wouldn't be as easy to control as Baal seemed to be with his current host, Jack took his own sweet time in giving her the answer she wanted to hear.

" Have you decided to be Baal's host and rule by my side or.." She paused and motioned to Bur'nok. Immediately, he left her side and headed to the force shield prison. Jack watched in morbid fascination as the Jaffa let one shield drop to the ground, enabling him to step inside and bring out one of the villagers. The force shield went up as soon as he stepped out of the enclosed area, carrying a small child with him. Bur'nok set the young girl of no more than six or seven down at Anats feet and took a reluctant step backwards. Anat smiled down on the frightened child, laying a hand to rest on the golden head. " Or do I have to start with this child?"

Disgust showing on his face, Jack did his best to keep his temper in check. " I'll be Baals host on the condition we leave here with no casualties. All of the villagers must be alive and unharmed."

" That was the deal." She gave him a winning smile, showing her approval and pleasure at his response. Her hand lingered on the child's head for a few moments before she ordered Bur'nok to return her to the pen and begin making plans to return immediately to the palace. Taking a step closer to Jack when the young girl was gone, she gazed up at him coyly, her blue eyes shining. " Samantha doesn't understand why you have chosen to do this but she is grateful that it means sparing the lives of these people." Moving even closer, her expression lost a little of its innocence. " It is because of her memories that you were chosen, Jack, not because of any desire of Baals. I am looking forward to our time together, I know that you will not let me down nor will I tire of you so easily." Rising a little on her toes, Anat brushed his lips with her own. It was all he could do not to flinch away from the brief contact. " Thank you for joining us, our love. Samantha and I will endeavour to ensure you do not regret it."

She turned and walked away, leaving him to watch after her. He wasn't alone for long, though, as two Jaffa arrived to escort him to another, smaller tent near Anats. He was left on his own once inside, told that he would be informed when they were ready to leave.

Sinking down onto one of the cushions on the floor, Jack let his head fall forwards into his hands. He had a sinking suspicion that it would take more than naquada in his system and a voice synthesiser to convince her she had succeeded and that Baal was in control.

" Forgive me, Sam."

His whispered plea when unanswered, the cool breeze that circled the tent remaining silent. If he'd been a little less preoccupied, he might have noticed the tent flaps had been closed behind the leaving Jaffa, making it almost impossible for the wind outside to enter.

=*=

Triumph. Victory. Drugging sensations. The pain of being trapped inside a dying body was gone. The freedom of having strength was exhilarating. A new mind to explore from the inside, *this* mind in particular..

Colonel Jack O'Neill's mind..

It was a good day, Baal thought lazily as he began making himself comfortable in his new home. He fed on the Colonels anger and fear, hatred and disgust. He took pleasure in his hosts disgust and the attempts made at fighting only served to amuse him.

Wonderful. He would be the envy of the System Lords, the biggest threat the Tau'ri and their allies had ever known. He would be..

.. In pain.

Terrible pain.

Agony.

Something was wrong; this certainly wasn't right.

He had taken many hosts, so many of them unwilling, and none of his experiences in the past had compared to this.

It *hurt*!

It felt like he was being torn into parts, being devoured by the host's body. He tried to fight, tried to take control of his host and call for help but he couldn't. He couldn't do anything; he was paralysed.

As his horror was forgotten, his small but sharp mind overwhelmed by waves of unbearable pain, Baal became aware of his hosts thoughts and feelings.

The fear was fading, replaced by relief.

The horror was replaced with satisfaction.

The disgust was replaced by a sense of victory.

" How does it feel, Baal? To be beaten by the pathetic Tau'ri you took so much pleasure in breaking?"

" You have not won, Tau'ri. Anat will realise.."

" Anat will die once I'm through with you."

" She will not allow my death to go unpunished. She will avenge me by making you suffer in ways you cannot imagine."

" There's nothing she can do that would compare with what you did."

" She could harm Samantha. I know you, O'Neill. When you were dying, you called for her every time. You relied on your memories of her to stay alive and fight; I can see that now in your thoughts. Anat knows Samantha is your weakness just as you are hers."

" She is not my weakness. She's what makes me strong."

The pain was getting worse even though he'd thought that was impossible. The end was near; he could feel death almost as keenly as he could feel the hatred his host harboured for him.

" You hate me because you fear me," Baal taunted, realising there was nothing he could do but torment his enemy, his murderer, in his final moments of existence. " I did to you what few have ever done. I broke you, I brought you to the point of begging for death.."

" And yet I'm the one who's winning. I'm the one with all of the power and control now." The triumph that radiated from Jack's mind wasn't smug. He wasn't taking pleasure in his defeat in the way Baal himself would have done. He didn't find killing in cold blood to be as enjoyable as a favourite hobby but he was still satisfied by it.

Baal realised his host was doing what he hoped Anat would do - seeking retribution for himself and the woman he loved. The agony he was inflicting on the symbiote was satisfying because it finally meant the Goa'uld could experience some of what he had inflicted on Jack, both through holding him as a prisoner and torturing him as well as through taking Samantha from him.

" Payback's a bitch, isn't it?" A humourless laugh echoed around him. " How does it feel, Baal? To be dying and know there's no way anyone can bring you back? I regret that, in a way, because it means I can't put you through this over and over again like you did to me. So I guess I have to make this last, don't I? Hurt you as much as I possibly can?"

All of a sudden, Baal was bombarded with mental images and recollections of everything he'd put Jack through. In the same way a host could empathise with the feelings of its symbiote and could feel the emotions and physical reactions to events from the symbiote's past, Baal found himself going through everything Jack had suffered at his hands. Instead of remembering the Tau'ri being at his mercy, their situations were reversed and it was he who stood by helpless as Colonel O'Neill relentlessly drove him to death only to bring him back again and again.

It was excruciating. Unimaginable.

" I underestimated you," Baal admitted, considerably weakened by the emotional and mental assault. " I thought you were weak, that you would not recover. I was wrong."

" Yes you were." His host was quiet, distant. " Take this thought to hell with you, Baal. I've won. You might have once held all the power but not anymore. I'm not afraid anymore. *I* won."

With one final agonised shriek, Baal lay still. Opening his eyes, Jack wiped away the beads of sweat that had formed at his brow and ran down his face.

Baal was dead. Gone forever. No longer able to hurt him or anyone else. Jack could feel the symbiote's body being absorbed into his own.

He had won.

Physically, he felt exhausted. As though he could sleep for a week without stirring for anything. Mentally, he felt fantastic; released of the burden he'd been carrying for months. Emotionally, he felt relieved; his spirit was lighter than it had been in a long time.

He was free.

He had won.

He had defeated his living nightmare. This round was his, and in his battle with Baal, he'd emerged the victor. It was over.

The war with Anat was far from it, though. There was still much fighting to be done.

=*=

Waking slowly, Anat stretched across the bed languidly, a bright smile lighting her face. With a happy sigh, she sat up and let her legs fall over the side of the bed.

It was going to be a wonderful day.

Her host was silent, defeated at last. Samantha hadn't spoken a single word since they'd watched Baal enter the Colonel's body together. It was more than Anat had allowed herself to hope for. Not only was she getting her chosen mate to spend an eternity with her, she had also managed to subdue Samantha, allowing her to be in complete control. She no longer had to fight or argue with her host over every single decision she made. It was refreshing and new.

Everything was sliding into place.

Getting to her feet, Anat changed her clothes and headed out of the room. She started immediately for Baals wing of the palace, certain a night would have been long enough for him to take over his host completely.

" My Queen." The voice stopped her in her tracks. Cursing inwardly, Anat turned to see Bur'nok coming towards her. He had taken over Baals pastime of smothering her since the Goa'uld had taken ill. It had been fun at first, a way to amuse herself, but now Baal was back in a new host she didn't have time to play games with the infatuated Jaffa. " I have been waiting for you to awaken."

" Bur'nok. I was on my way to see Baal.." Hoping that mentioning Baal would be enough to deter him, Anat was frustrated when it did nothing.

Instead, Bur'nok reached for her hand, his fingers interlacing with hers. " Lord Baal probably needs to rest. If you are looking for company, I would be happy to oblige.."

" Thank you, I'm sure you would." Anat forced herself to smile at him while inwardly thinking something had to be done. Bur'nok was too confident, too forward. It would not do for him to think he could take his own initiative, for him to think he could take liberties with her because of what they'd shared. Surely he didn't think she would ever consider choosing a Jaffa, a slave, over Baal? " But for now, Bur'nok, my Lord needs me and I have no intention of letting him down."

She didn't wait for his response. She freed her hand from his grip and continued along the corridor, determined the reach her destination with no distractions. Feeling his eyes on her back didn't create the feelings she usually had when she knew someone was watching her. This time it annoyed her, and she knew that something had to be done to put him in place before he got any more ideas.

Reaching the room she'd left Baal in, Anat didn't waste time knocking. She grimaced a little as her host stirred, disturbed and distressed by the thought of what they were about to see.

" Quiet, Samantha," Anat hissed as she stepped into the room. " There is nothing you can do to save him now. He is mine. Ours. The sooner you accept it, the sooner we can all begin enjoying these changes."

" Anat?" The gruff voice alerted her to the fact Baal was awake and had heard her scolding her host. " Does your host bother you still?" He got to his feet and walked over to her, the concern in his eyes warming her inside.

Smiling up at him, Anat reached for his hand, holding it tightly with her own. " She is nothing I can't handle. How are you, my love? Does your host fight?"

=*=

'She is nothing.'

Jack fought the urge to tighten his hold on her hand to the point of causing her pain. That was how the snakes saw their hosts: as nothing. Unimportant vessels, things to be used and discarded when they could serve them no longer.

Sam was nothing to Anat just as he would have been nothing to Baal. He couldn't imagine living like that and would do all he could to save Sam from spending any longer in that existence. Being a tool, used to do another's deeds, wasn't any way to spend the rest of her life.

Clearing his throat when he realised she was still waiting for a reply, Jack searched the memories Baal had left behind for instances where she and Baal had shared similar conversations. " My host struggles as we knew he would." His voice was almost unrecognisable, warped by the small device hidden under his clothes. " But he can be beaten. He will accept it is his duty to serve us in time."

" As will Samantha." Anat smiled up at him, her eyes gleaming as she leaned closer. Standing on her toes, she kissed him softly, pleased when he responded after only a short pause. " Does your host please you, Baal?" Giving him a little space much to Jacks relief, Anat led him to the bed and sat beside him.

" I think he pleases me as much as he pleases you." It took all of his effort to keep his voice from sounding too sharp. " I am surprised you managed to persuade him to agree."

Anat laughed although she did seem a little suspicious at his comment about her being as pleased as he was. " It wasn't difficult, my love. Colonel O'Neill is as honourable and moral as Samantha believed him to be. He could not sit by and watch hundreds of innocents die when he could prevent it. I think it's possible he also wished to join us to be with her.. Although she does not approve of his decision."

" She wouldn't," he murmured softly, mostly to himself, regretting having to cause Carter any more pain and guilt. He knew she felt bad about him being a Tok'ra because she'd asked. Those feelings would be tripled now she believed he'd chosen to be a Goa'uld because of her. " Anat, my Queen. Why do you choose to speak with your hosts voice instead of your own?" It was something that had been bothering him. Since she'd contacted the SGC through SG-5, she'd been using Sam's voice to speak and it was slowly tearing him to pieces. It was so hard to sit beside her and know she was someone else. If he closed his eyes, he could try to pretend she was Sam and not the Goa'uld in residence.. but his conscious, and his heart, wouldn't let him get away with the illusion for long.

" Samantha's voice is pleasing." She shrugged, gazing at him questioningly. " It is less threatening, the Jaffa respond to it because it is softer and not as demanding.. I thought you liked it, Baal? Do you not wish me to use it..?"

One hand discreetly slipped under his robe. He switched off the device making his own voice reverberate and closed his eyes to make it look as though Baal was concentrating on changing it, using the distraction to remove the small box and hide it under a corner of the sheet. " Do you prefer this voice, Anat? It would make sense for us both to use the same. Unless we are meeting with the System Lords, of course."

To his relief, she smiled in approval. To his discomfort, she leaned closer into his side, resting her head against his shoulder. He almost stiffened but somehow managed to stop it; the position reminded him too much of curling up with Sam on the couch to watch videos or in front of the fire at the cabin.

" Baal?" Sensing something odd about his posture, Anat lifted her head and looked up at him. " Are you sure you're well? You seem very distracted.. Perhaps you need more rest.. Bur'nok did predict you would."

" Bur'nok?" He couldn't keep the sharpness from his tone. He could sense his feelings of mistrust were mutual; Baal hadn't been fond of the close relationship developing between Anat and his First Prime either. " You seem to be spending a lot of time with him."

" Too much time when I could be with you?" She smiled again, obviously delighted at his jealously and keen to please him. It was what she'd wanted after all, a partner who adored her but who was not oblivious to her little games and attempts at securing his attention. " Bur'nok has become a little too fond of me, my love. Perhaps it is time for us to chose a First Prime to take his place?"

The smile he gave her was genuine. " You are full of good ideas, my Queen. Have you anyone in mind?"

" Must we talk about it now?" Pouting a little, Anat moved closer, pressing a brief kiss to the corner of his mouth. " There is much celebrating to be done, Baal. You are back by my side and together, we will defeat our enemies and rule their worlds."

Swallowing hard as she kissed him again, Jack realised rejecting her would mean igniting her suspicions. If Baal had really been in control, the Goa'uld would be returning her advances whole-heartedly. Feeling sick, he was forced to endure a sudden flash of mental images of all the times Anat had seduced Baal and the Goa'uld who'd died inside him had reciprocated eagerly.

" Baal?" Backing off a little, Anat stared at him, concern and a little annoyance written across her face. " Is there something wrong?"

" No." He forced himself to smile at her, reaching out to touch her cheek. He tried to pretend Anat didn't exist, that the face he was caressing belong to Sam and only Sam. " I was just wondering how I can thank you for saving my life and for choosing two wonderful new hosts for us."

Her smile returned, the intent in her eyes sending a shudder down his spine. " I'm sure you can find a way, my love."

Slowly, hesitantly, Jack leaned towards her. He willed himself to stay in control, kissing her sweetly, pretending he was kissing Sam. He fought the impulse to push her away when his efforts at fooling himself failed. It wasn't easy; her lips were familiar but the feelings were not.

He let her continue to kiss him, returning the gesture as Anat gently pushed him backwards. She felt like Sam, physically speaking. But there was a little voice at the back of his mind constantly reminding him that she wasn't his lover. There was another voice, too, telling him that if he failed in tricking Anat into thinking she'd won, it'd be over. He'd be dead, and Sam would be as good as.

'Forgive me, Sam,' he thought desperately as he squeezed his eyes shut. ' Forgive me.'

=*=

He woke an hour or so before she did. For almost that whole time, he sat beside her, looking down on her. Anat wasn't in control. She wouldn't be until Sam woke up, waking the symbiote at the same time.

He knew it was Sam he was looking at because she didn't look smug or happy in the slightest. He knew if Anat were in control, there'd be a contented look in place on her face. The snake thought she'd won, she had a lot to be pleased with.

Sam thought they'd lost. He could see it in the lines of her face. Her features twisted into a pained expression that made gazing at her hurt. She looked distressed, heartbroken and he knew he was the cause of at least some of what she was feeling.

Unable to help himself, he leaned forward and brushed his lips against her forehead tenderly. Pushing a loose strand of hair from her face, he looked down on her. 'Don't worry, Sam,' he thought, not wanting to risk Anat hearing by speaking aloud. 'You won't be like this for much longer, I promise. I'll get you out of this.'

As if she'd heard him, the grimace on her face faded into a brief hint of a smile. She looked a little more peaceful, quite childlike and innocent. There was no outwardly hint of the evil that hid within. She looked like he remembered her always looking in sleep, she looked exactly the way she had done the first night and every night after that they'd spent together. She looked like Sam.

Feeling a little more confident that he was doing the right thing, that what he was going through would be worth it in the end, Jack left her alone on the bed, pacing the room. Anat would be awake soon and then it was time to put the final phase of his plan into action. The others would be leaving for Cimmeria soon. He had to have Anat - hopefully Sam - ready for them when they got there.

" Baal?" There was a slight note of panic. He turned, pausing in the middle of his pacing to look at her. A relieved smile spread over her lips. " There you are. I thought you'd left me.."

" Never." The word sprang to his lips immediately. He knew it was true - he would never leave her as long as there was a part of her that still belonged to Sam Carter. Quickly covering his momentarily outburst with a smile, he approached the bed and sat beside her. " Get dressed, Anat. I have a surprise for you."

Her eyebrows rose. " A surprise?" Her smile grew a little wider. He almost thought he could hear her purr. " For me? What is it?"

" All I can say is that it's a planet, a new world for us to conquer and rule." He saw the pleasure in her eyes and was surprised he felt a little guilty at deceiving her. Shaking himself mentally, he realised it was caused by a residual feeling of Baals. The snake had really loved her, almost in the same way he himself loved Sam. " Will you come with me, Anat?"

" Of course!" Sitting up, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him quickly before getting out of bed so she could go to her room to dress. " Shall I tell Bur'nok to gather a small group of Jaffa to accompany us?"

His response made her pause at the door. " That won't be necessary, my love." Approaching her, he plastered the most reassuring smile he could muster across his face. " We should go alone, Anat, to see if you like the surprise. The Jaffa are not needed, I will make sure you return safely. You do trust me, don't you?"

Hesitating a little, Anat allowed his smile to soothe her doubts. " Of course I trust you, Baal. I agree, we will be perfectly fine by ourselves. I'm looking forward to seeing this planet, I'm sure it'll be lovely." Kissing him on the cheek, she continued on her way out, missing the small triumphant grin that graced his lips.

'Soon,' he told himself, getting ready to leave. 'Soon Sam'll be back to her normal self. Back in control. *Soon*.'

=*=

Dialling the address of Cimmeria, Jack held onto her hand with the one that wasn't pressing the glyphs. They were alone at the Stargate, having ordered the Jaffa to stay and wait for them at the palace. He wasn't having second thoughts but he was beginning to feel a little nervous.

What if it didn't work? What if Anat refused to complete the maze? What if they got to the end and it didn't take the snake from Sam's head? What would Anat do then?

The Stargate engaged, the blue circle having never looked more welcoming. " Let's go, Anat." In his haste to get through to the other side, he almost didn't notice the way Anat lingered on the second last step. " Anat?"

" Are you sure this planet is safe?" She eyed the Stargate warily. She couldn't shake the feeling something was missing, that there was something hovering on the edge of her subconscious. It was important, that much she knew, but whatever it was it remained just out of reach. " You've been here before?"

" When you were gone," he lied easily. " I visited several planets, hoping to find somewhere new to present to you as a gift. This is the one I chose for you. Please, come with me?"

She answered with a nod and smile, taking the hand he offered to her. Taking a deep breath, she followed closely as he stepped through the Stargate, leading her to a new world.

Almost immediately, Anat became aware of a bright light scanning them. She was about to call out to him and ask what was happening when he wrapped his arms around her. They were both then engulfed by the same light and taken to another place.

A dark, damp place that smelt as bad as it looked and felt somehow threatening.

" Baal!" Shaking his arms away, her eyes glowed and her voice took on the harsh edge of the Goa'uld as she stared at him accusingly. " What have you done? Where have you taken me?"

" This is part of the plan, Anat." Jack deliberated for a split second, wondering if it was time to tell her the truth of if he should continue lying to her. He decided to go for the latter option, knowing she'd be more likely to cooperate if he deceived her and taking advantage of the fact the normal message that played whenever someone arrived seemed to be disabled. " This contraption ensures no enemies can arrive unannounced. Come. If we hurry to the end, I'll show you why this place is so special."

" Why should we need this device, Baal? Who built it? It looks Asgard to me.. We can't risk them declaring war on us.. We're not strong enough to defend ourselves yet, not until we persuade Anubis he should form the alliance with us.." She wanted to believe he was telling her the truth but couldn't fight her nagging doubts. Baal had never done something like this before. He did his own thing when they were apart but when they were together, he usually followed her around, awaiting her orders. His new host must be influencing him in some way.. Unless.. Quickly dismissing those thoughts, Anat almost smile. No Goa'uld had ever successfully deceived her so it would be impossible for a simple minded Tau'ri to do so.

" The Asgard haven't been here in years," he continued lying to her, hoping he sounded as arrogant as Baal would have done. " They deserted this place, abandoned it after all the inhabitants they swore to protect were killed by Heru-ur. Now he's gone, this place is ours for the taking.. If you want it?" He saw her falter. " The System Lords would be impressed if you were able to add this planet to those you rule, Anat. You would be welcomed back with open arms.."

" I would?" Pleased with the idea, Anat was swayed by her ego into believing him, allowing him to take her hand and lead her through the maze.

On their way, they passed skeletons of both hosts and symbiotes. He told her they were hundreds of years old, belonging to foolish Jaffa who were clever enough to activate the device but too stupid to find their way out. They'd died of starvation, he said, because they gave up too easily.

As they continued through the twists and turns of the maze, the sensation she'd felt earlier of something not being right returned and increased. It was when he sped up his place and told her they were near the exit that it hit her: her host was hiding something from her. Samantha knew about this place.

Letting go of Baals hand, ignoring his surprised question, Anat concentrated on breaking her way into Samantha's mind, fighting an exhaustive battle with her host. After a while, she found what she was looking for: Samantha's memories of the planet she'd been brought to and her knowledge of the maze they were in.

Cimmeria. Thor's Hammer. An Asgard invention designed to rid the host of the Goa'uld. Kendra had been released from her symbiote and Teal'c had almost died because the machine could've taken his symbiote.. They'd destroyed it to save him but had later convinced the Asgard to fix it to save the inhabitants of the planet.

Baal had lied to her and Samantha had known it. She had been betrayed by her lover, her partner of hundreds of years.. Baal wouldn't do that, though, would he? He would never even consider betraying her so..

" You are not Baal!" Spinning around, she glared at him hotly, keeping a healthy amount of distance between them. " What have you done to him? How did you deceive me..?"

Seeing he had no choice but to come clean and actually looking forward to witnessing her reaction, Jack tensed in preparation and stared at her evenly. " Baal is dead. I killed him myself. When he tried to take over me, he realised I'd injected myself with a poison that's fatal to snakes like you. He's gone, Anat. You're all alone." The anger she felt played on her face and made him smile. " But don't worry. You'll be joining him soon enough."

" No!" Furious that he would even dare to fool her, Anat lashed out at him, pulling the same dagger she'd used to kill Shar'ac out from the thin leather holster hidden by the top layer of gauzy material at her waist. " You will not win. I will kill you before you can kill me."

" You won't be able to leave this place alive." Jack couldn't resist taunting her a little. " You'll stay here and die of dehydration and starvation or you'll try leaving and end up being removed from her whether you like it or not."

" Maybe so." She lunged at him, her eyes narrowing. " But at least I'll have the satisfaction of killing you first!"

For several long minutes, they wrestled for control of the dagger. They ended up on the ground with Jack alternately trying to stop her from stabbing him and trying to make sure Sam's body wasn't too badly hurt or bruised. He noticed a cut on her temple from where she'd hit her head on something during the struggle and the sight of blood marring her pale skin distracted him.

In that second, Anat saw her opening. She took advantage of his distraction and brought the dagger down into the flesh of his stomach. His exclamation of pain was like music to her ears, her vicious smile changing to a smug one as his arms let her go.

The wound wouldn't be immediately fatal. She knew he would live for at least another hour, until he lost too much blood and could fight the inevitable no longer. It didn't bother her, though. He would die and that was the important thing.

Getting to her feet, she breathed heavily as she watched him slowly rise. One of his hands covered the fabric clinging to his wound, the other held onto the wall to keep him upright. She expected him to say something cruel, to try and hurt her with a parting shot.

He didn't. He gazed at her tenderly, his eyes holding her own despite her attempts at breaking contact.

" I know you're in there, Sam. I know you're still fighting or she'd have recognised this place earlier on." Jack kept his voice soft, imploring his lover to break Anats hold over her so she could come back to him. " Keep fighting her, Sam. I know you can do it, I know you're stronger than she is. I know you can beat her if you really try. Please Sam." He took a small, unsteady step closer. " For me. I chose you over death. Choose me now."

Anat held out the hand holding the dagger, intending to use it against him again if he got any nearer. She was shocked to find her hand wouldn't cooperate. Staring at it intently, she was alarmed when it began to shake: her host had renewed her attempts at fighting, taking advantage of the Goa'ulds weakened state.

The dagger fell to the ground with a loud metallic clang that bounced off the walls and echoed throughout the maze. Anat looked on in surprise as Jack stared at her smiling.

" That's it, Sam," he encouraged her a little louder, taking another step towards her. " Keep fighting. Think of going home, going to the cabin. Think of seeing Dad and Teal'c again, and Doc and Cassie, and Hammond and even Jonas. Come on, Sam. You can do it. Come back to me."

Gasping, Anat stumbled and fell to her knees. She glared up at him, her eyes flashing. " You can't.. do this.. to me!" She let her head hang and concentrated on her options. She could use the last of her strength fighting her host and probably die anyway or.. Or she could deal one final blow to Baal's murderer. " If I'm going to die, so will Samantha."

Her eyes closed and she gave control to Sam. As Sam opened her eyes, she cried out in pain, knowing what was happening and why it seemed Anat had given up so easily.

She was killing her.

" Jack." Unable to catch her breath, Sam reached for him, eyes widening at the sight of his blood soaked clothes. She stared in horror at the dark stains, remembering with too much detail that it had been her hand that caused the damage. " I'm sorry."

Kneeling beside her, Jack tugged on her arms and held her close after kicking the dagger out of reach. " It's not your fault, Sam. It wasn't you." He felt her shudder in his arms and pulled back to hear her cry out, her eyes dull with pain. " What's wrong? Sam?"

Slumping against him, her fingernails dug into his arms as she tried to breathe. " She's killing me, Jack," Sam gasped painfully. " Help me.. Please."

Struggling to get to his feet, he helped her up, wrapping an arm around her waist. " We're not too far away from the exit.. If we can get there in time.."

Together, they supported each other around the final twists and bends of the maze. Sam was growing weaker with every step and Jack wasn't doing much better. They had almost made it to the archway when she collapsed on her knees, her eyes wide as she clutched at her heart.

Grabbing her hand, Jack searched inside of himself for the last remnants of his strength. He threw her arm over his shoulders and half-carried, half-dragged her over to the way out.

Her eyes closed as he pulled her through, both of them falling to the floor, lying just over the threshold. Clinging to her, Jack let his own eyes slide shut as the device did its job and scanned them both. Sam's body shook in his arms as the symbiote was removed but no sound escaped her.

When it was over, the couple remained motionless. He was too tired, his limbs too heavy. The events of the last few days had taken their toll; he literally couldn't move.

Sam lay motionless in his arms, her head resting against his shoulder. He couldn't tell if she was just unconscious or if Anat had succeeded in taking her from him. He couldn't even find it in himself to lift a hand and check for a pulse.

Still holding her, he gave into his own body's demands and slowly let his grip on the conscious world slide from his grasp.

" Stay with me, Sam."

His whisper again went unheard.

=*=

There was a blaze of activity on Cimmeria. Doctor Fraiser, Teal'c and Jonas arrived with the newly recovered members of SG-5 and a small team of medics, hoping to find the Colonel and Major waiting for them near the Stargate. They were alarmed to find no trace of them and even more surprised when Gairwyn, leader of the Cimmerians, told them she hadn't seen either of them. As quickly as they could, the team travelled up the small mountain towards the exit of Thor's Hammer and the maze inside, with Gairwyn as their guide.

The strange, foreboding sensation Teal'c had felt since leaving O'Neill on P4x793 grew stronger. He felt like there was someone beside him, telling him to hurry, telling him there wasn't much time. If he'd had time to stop and think about it, he might have been able to recognise the voice.

When they found their missing colleagues, he realised why he'd felt the need for haste. Doctor Fraiser and her team immediately got to work as SG-5 secured the area. Jonas stood quietly talking with Gairwyn, curious to learn more about her peoples beliefs and their relationship with the Asgard. Teal'c stood alone from the three separate groups, silently watching over his friends.

A stretcher was made for Colonel O'Neill and a temporary bandage helped put pressure on his wound and reduce the flow of blood. Doctor Fraiser set up a portable IV drip and ordered SG-5 to start taking the stretcher towards the Stargate. Two of her medics went with them, just in case.

Major Carter was another story. Her pulse was nearly undetectable and she wasn't breathing. Doctor Fraiser was checking her airways when her heart stopped beating. Several long, tense minutes of CPR followed until eventually Sam took a small, shaky breath and her heart began again. She remained unconscious, though, and Janet was concerned with how irregular her pulse was.

Another stretcher was put together and Teal'c made it clear he wanted to help carry it. With him on one end and Jonas picking up the other before anyone else could, the two teammates carried their fallen friend home.

They managed to catch up with the other group travelling with the Colonel at the Stargate, saying goodbye and thank you to Gairwyn before heading back to the SGC, everyone hoping that the end of the nightmare didn't mean the end of one of their lives.

=*=

Low, melodious beeping. A familiar, sterile smell. Voices coming from what seemed like a long way. Something warm covering her hand.

Sam couldn't stop a groan as she completed her journey to the land of the living. Every single part of her body ached and cried out in protest as she tried to move. Even her eyelids hurt as she struggled to open them. Breathing wasn't easy either but there was something over her mouth helping her. It was familiar in size and weight - an oxygen mask, she realised dimly. Still trying to open her eyes, she was only vaguely aware of someone calling her name.

" Sam? Honey?" Jacob stood and leaned over her when he heard her groan, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze as he watched her eyelids flutter for the second time. " Come on, Sammie. Open your eyes for me."

" Dad?" Finally succeeding, Sam groaned again and closed her eyes almost immediately when the bright light of the infirmary assaulted her senses. " Urgh. That's bright."

" You want me to dim the lights?" His obvious concern was evident in his voice, leaving her wonder just long how she'd been unconscious. " I can get Doctor Fraiser if you want something to make you more comfortable.."

Somehow, she managed to shake her head ever so slightly from side to side. " No. I'll be okay." Her voice was weak, echoing in the oxygen mask. Her throat felt raw and scratchy. 'Is that normal?' She wondered. 'To feel like this after using Thor's Hammer?'

Thor's Hammer?

Blinking to help her eyes adjust, Sam stared up at the ceiling as memories came crashing back to her. Anat. Baal. Jack. Cimmeria. Thor's Hammer. Anat trying to kill her. Anat stabbing Jack..

Jack!

Struggling to sit up, it took a few seconds for her to realise her father was the one holding her down. Frustrated, she managed to glare at him simultaneously with pulling the oxygen mask from her face. " Dad, where's Jack? Where's the Colonel?" She tried to look around the infirmary but there was a curtain drawn around her bed, cutting off her view of the rest of the room, and the only person she could see inside the curtain was her father. She saw the look that crossed over his face - disapproval? Pain? - but dismissed it as her sense of panic took over. " Where is he, Dad? She.. I.. Anat stabbed him! She tried to kill him.. He was bleeding.." The tears that stung at her eyes only served to annoy and frustrate her further. " Dad? Is he okay?"

Sighing deeply, Jacob nodded and acknowledged her question. He tried to believe Selmac when she said Sam asking for Jack didn't mean she was rejecting him but he couldn't help thinking that it meant she didn't need him anymore.

" Maybe that's why you're against them, Jacob." Selmac quietly planted the seed of suggestion in his mind as he stood and drew back the curtain in between the two beds. " Tell her he's okay. Her needing him doesn't mean she no longer needs you."

Reaching down to brush his lips against her forehead, Jacob forced himself to smile encouragingly at her. " Jack's fine, Sweetheart. He's just sleeping."

Her eyes left his as soon as he stepped away, a soft smile of relief curving the corners of her mouth when her gaze fell on her sleeping neighbour. Breathing became a little easier to do. He was okay, maybe a little on the pale side but okay. She dragged her eyes from him and opened her mouth to thank her father, only to realise he was no longer there.

=*=

The one thing he missed more about Earth, after his family, were the stars. No matter where the Tok'ra went, they always built their bases underground. He understood their reasons for it but he didn't have to like it. When he was on missions, he usually had to travel through space but the stars didn't look the same when travelling at high speed. They looked more like bright blurs than stars. Even if he could slow down and look or go up onto the surface for a late-night walk it was never the same. The constellations were always different, making it impossible for him to find the star he was looking for.

His wife's star. The one his children had chosen for her just after she'd died.

" I wish you were here," he murmured aloud, silently thanking Selmac for respecting his privacy and backing off for a while. " I don't know how to talk to her anymore, Meg. Everything I say leads to an argument or a disagreement.. I wish you were here. You always knew what to say to them, you always knew everything." He swallowed the lump in his throat and blinked back tears. He couldn't believe he was crying. When was the last time he'd cried? " I don't know what to do anymore, Meg. I still need you."

His tears weren't only shed for his wife. They were shed for his daughter for all she'd been through and for himself for being unable to relate to her in the way she needed and deserved him to. He cried with relief and with sadness and pain.

Someone cleared their throat behind him. Quickly wiping his cheeks clean of the evidence, Jacob turned to face the newcomer, another lump rising in his throat when he saw who it was - this one being a lump of dread instead of unshed tears. " Doctor.. Is Sam okay?"

" She's fine, Jacob." Janet moved closer, inviting herself to sit down beside him. " Sam was concerned when you left without saying anything. She asked me to find you and make sure you were okay." Giving him a sidelong glance, she folded her arms over her chest to ward of the night chill. " Are you?"

" I'm fine, why shouldn't I be?" Defensive responses that came automatically were something Sam had inherited from her father. " It's Sam and Colonel O'Neill who we should be talking about. Are they going to be okay? Is Sam..?"

She sighed softly, seeing father and daughter had more in common than either would probably care to admit. Both were stubborn and defensive, particularly when they were concerned about someone or hiding something. " Physically, Sam should make a full recovery. I'm going to keep her in the infirmary for a few days to make sure she's not going to have any relapses. Hopefully her heart and breathing will stay regular over the next few days, which is when a relapse is most likely. I'll be monitoring her closely, Jacob, don't worry."

" What about Jack?" Jacob still had issues with the Colonel but he couldn't forget the sacrifice Jack had made to try and help Sam. Selmac wouldn't let him forget. " Will he be okay?"

" Again, I'm keeping him in the infirmary for observation purposes for a few days." Janet studied him carefully as she answered. " I'm optimistic that the antibiotics have succeeded in killing the infection he'd caught but his body's still weak from trying to fight it. On top of that, the symbiote's body is yet to be completely absorbed into his system. I'm keeping him under close observation to make sure it is eventually absorbed and to make sure the residual poison in his system doesn't do any harm. General Hammond agrees we should check his blood work regularly to monitor the chemical until it lowers considerably in amount."

Nodding in agreement, Jacob frowned a little, concentrating on something his symbiote was saying. " Selmac believes the chemical will be neutralised once all residual naquada has been absorbed by the Colonel's body. It should have been done all ready but his body having to fight the infection probably delayed it a little." Shuffling a little uncomfortably on the boulder he'd claimed as a seat, he glanced at her sneakily from the corner of his eye. " When will the Colonel wake up?"

" He woke up just before I left the infirmary." Her relief was palatable and Jacob was half-surprised to find he shared it - for Sam's sake, he assured himself hurriedly. " I was getting worried but thankfully he's awake. He's weak and dehydrated but I believe he'll make a full recovery."

" Sam will be pleased to hear that." The words slipped out before he could stop them.

Arching an eyebrow, Janet turned to face him, wondering what he was trying to suggest - and if he knew he was doing it. " I would imagine a lot of people would be. General Hammond's been calling every ten minutes wanting to know how they are. Teal'c's been a nightmare to get out of the infirmary, the threat of needles doesn't work so well against him. It doesn't work very well against any of them anymore, not since Doctor Jackson.." Clearing her throat, Janet ploughed on. " Jonas has grown fond of them, too. Even though the Colonel hasn't made it easy for him. And Cassandra will be thrilled when I go home tomorrow morning and tell her. They're friends, all of them. Sam may be more relieved than the others but then she does feel responsible for his condition. Like it or not, she does have the memories of stabbing him even though they're not her own."

" Anat stabbed him, Sam didn't." Clenching his jaw, Jacob looked straight ahead. " Doctor Fraiser? Can I ask you for your opinion on something not related to Sam's medical condition?"

" Sure." She had a feeling she knew where the conversation was going but understood he needed someone to talk to and, since Sam had asked her to make sure he was okay, it looked like that person was going to be her.

Jacob looked at her then, his eyes meeting hers resolutely. Steeling himself for her answer, he went ahead and asked. " Is there something going on between Sam and Jack that I should know about? Something more than what there should be?"

Janet didn't answer straight away. She was silent, the only sounds on the mountain being those of their breathing. She didn't look away from him as she thought about her reply, seeing the mixed emotions on his face. Part of him wanted her to deny it, the other part wanted her to confirm his suspicions. She couldn't help but feel sorry for him; his position wasn't one anyone would envy. " As far as I'm aware, the Colonel and Sam are good, close friends. They're teammates, they've been working together for over five years. They've been through a hell of a lot in that time and it's only natural that they've been pushed closer because of it. Especially recently with all of the changes SG-1 have faced as a team.."

" Do you think they're closer?" Jacob persisted in spite of Selmac's warnings that he might learn something he didn't want to. " You're one of Sam's best friends. You'd know if.."

" I can't tell you they're in a relationship and I can't tell you they're not. I'm sorry, Jacob, but I don't know. I'm one of their friends, yes, and I'm one of Sam's best friends but that doesn't mean I know more than you do." Shrugging, she glanced away. " It doesn't mean I want to know anything." Letting her eyes drift back to his, she gave him a small smile. " I care about them both and I want them to be happy but it's none of my business what they do when I'm not there. It's no ones business but their own."

Narrowing his eyes, Jacob stared at her in barely masked surprise. " But you're Air Force. You know about the regulations and the damage they could do to their careers.."

" Yes I do. But I also know what it's like working here. Before Cassandra, I knew what it was like to go home to an empty house night after night. I know what it's like to try and have friends outside of the SGC. It's hard. Can you imagine what it's like having to keep the horrors of what they see and go through here to themselves? Sam and the Colonel have been through more than most. They'd go crazy keeping it all bottled up inside them." Janet spoke compassionately, having given the matter a lot of thought over the years. She didn't know if there was anything going on even though she was aware of the feelings they shared. At first she'd been against it, concerned for her friends careers, but then she'd almost lost her daughter and realised they needed and deserved someone to go home to and talk about their day with just as much as she did. She had Cassandra to go home to at night and help take her mind off her work. Who was there for Sam and Jack when they went home? She suspected they spent so much time on base because of the answer: no one.

Clearing her throat again, bringing herself out of her thoughts and into the present, Janet looked at him and smiled. " You had your wife and your family to turn to when the going got rough. I'm sure you'd be more at ease when you're off with the Tok'ra knowing or suspecting Sam had someone there for her."

Jacob didn't reply for a long time but she didn't expect him to. She sat beside him in thoughtful, companionable silence until she decided she needed to go and check on her patients. She wasn't surprised when he stood up with her and walked inside, his shoulders squared as though he were going into battle. She'd witnessed the tension between him and Sam and hoped she'd done something to help ease it.

=*=

A tremendous wave of relief crashed over her when he opened his eyes. Despite Janet's assurances, she thought he was too pale and still. She thought maybe she was being lied to and he wasn't going to be okay - that was until he opened his eyes, banishing those thoughts.

" Hey." Smiling a little uncertainly, aware of all Anat had put him through, Sam gently eased herself onto her side to look at him. " You're awake."

" Oh, yeah." A breath hissed out from between clenched teeth. " I can tell." His grimace showed his discomfort.

Concern darkening her eyes, she glanced around for Janet or one of her nurses. Finding no one, her gaze fell on the red call button by her bed. " I can get someone if you want.."

" No." Managing to get control of the pain, he tried to smile reassuringly. " I'm fine, Sam. Just feeling my age."

" Not to mention the hole in your stomach." Her guilt was visible in the way she wouldn't meet his gaze. When she did look up, he saw her eyes were shimmering. " I'm sorry. I should've fought harder."

Knowing it was a bad idea but doing it anyway, Jack reached out a hand to her. " You didn't do this, Sam." He knew it was worth whatever chiding he'd get from the nurses when she laced her fingers with his. " You did the best you could. You did more than anyone could ever expect you to do. It's me who should be apologising. Again," he added with a depreciating smile. " Remind me never to argue with you again. Bad stuff always happens before we get a chance to make up."

Smiling a little at that, Sam squeezed his hand gratefully. " That's not always true. We've argued before and managed to make up with nothing bad happening.. And we probably will do again, if you still want to.."

" If I still want to what?" Staring at her intently, he saw her look away again and frowned a little. " If I still want to argue with you?"

" If you still want to be with me," she clarified softly, her eyes flittering briefly back to his and then away again nervously. " I'm not the same person.. I have even more baggage now than I had before.. I killed Shar'ac and hurt Aten when all he wanted to do was help me. I threatened SG-5 and a whole planet of people.. I threatened and tried to kill you.."

Shaking his head, wincing at the nausea that accompanied the action, Jack tightened his hold on her hand, forcing her to look at him. Holding her gaze, he spoke deliberately, slowly, seriously. " You didn't do those things. It was the snake inside you. Anat did it all. You didn't play any part in this, Sam." He motioned to his stomach, the wound hidden beneath layers of gauze, an infirmary gown and infirmary sheets. " You stopped her from killing me when you fought with her. She would've stabbed me again if you hadn't stopped her. If anyone should be apologising and asking for forgiveness, it's me. For what I did when I was pretending to be Baal. When I was trying to convince Anat she could trust me.."

" I knew it was you." Chewing on her bottom lip, Sam fought the urge to look away, no matter how tempting it was. " I can't explain how so don't ask me to but I knew it was you and not Baal. There was something different, Baal was never.. It wasn't the same." Swallowing - to fight tears or nausea, Jack didn't know - she looked at him with such anguish in her eyes that he wanted to risk Doctor Fraiser's wrath by getting out of bed and going to her. " Besides, it was because of me you were put in that position anyway. You chose Kanan because of me and you put yourself through what must have been a nightmare come true for you because of me. I'm so sorry, Jack. I know it must have been horrible seeing Baal again never mind having to.. you know."

" I killed him, Sam." His expression didn't falter. It stayed calm and collected - and somehow tender. " It wasn't pleasant or an experience I'd care to repeat and I know I've probably earned myself a session or two with Doc Mackenzie because of it but it was.. okay. Baal's dead. He can't hurt anyone anymore. I got revenge, I'm not afraid anymore. I won, and I have you to thank for that."

It was her turn to be surprised. Her eyebrow raised and her jaw dropped. She shook her head slightly, her brow creasing as she tried to understand. " *How*? In what way did I help you beat him? I'm the one who gave you a reason to hate him in the first place! If it wasn't for me, he would never have tortured you.."

" If I hadn't chosen to be Kanan's host, I'd be dead. We've talked about this, Sam. I made that decision and I don't regret it. As for how you helped me with Baal.." His expression softened into a small smile. " I had the opportunity to do it because of you. I had the strength to do it because of you. Because I had the incentive of helping you, because I remember you telling me I was stronger than I thought I was for surviving. I could fight him because you made me stronger by helping me get over what he did and by just being there for me whenever I needed you to be."

Her voice trembling almost as much as she was, Sam held onto his hand in the same way a drowning man would cling onto his only lifeline. " Will you help me now? Will you be there for me until I'm over this?"

Smiling and nodding at her, Jack gave her fingers a squeeze. " And after that. I'll be there as long as you want me. Hey," he grinned mischievously, winking at her. " We could book joint sessions with Mackenzie. Imagine all the paper and ink he'd get through with both of us to write about."

" Thank you." The grateful smile she gave him was all the thanks he needed.

" No problem." Relieved that she seemed to have been slightly put at east, he closed his eyes, content to be holding her hand, believing the worst was over.

The physical contact was comforting but there was something else they needed to talk about before she could truly relax. Something important she'd been thinking about while Anat had been in control. There wasn't much to do when the Goa'uld was in possession, nothing other than think. She'd used the time optimistically to make plans for what she'd do if she survived. " Jack?"

" Yeah?"

" I think it's time to talk to General Hammond." Her softly spoken response made his eyes snap open. They shared a look. " About my reassignment to another team. I.. I need a break from being out in the field. I want to concentrate on other things for a while."

" Other things like.. us?" Although the Colonel half of his person was disappointed to be losing her professionally, the other half was hopeful.

" Yeah." Again her smile turned shy and she lowered her eyes as a faint blush stained her cheeks. " Us.. and other things we can work at together that don't involve the Air Force."

" If you're sure it's what you want..?" The grin he wore threatened to split his face in half, able to understand the thoughts behind her decision and sharing them whole-heartedly.

Her smile matched his and for the first time in too long, it also reached her eyes, making them bigger and brighter. " I'm sure."

A nurse intruded on the moment, flushing and looking sheepish when she realised she was interrupting something. " I'm sorry.. I can come back later.. Do either of you need anything? Sir? Major?"

They looked at each other and smiled a little more, neither making any move to let go of the others hand. Sam was the one who spoke, the smile still on her face as she addressed the nurse. " Can you ask General Hammond to come and see me, please?"

" Sure, no problem." The nurse flashed a quick grin at them and backed out of the infirmary as though she couldn't leave fast enough.

" Let's hope we get to break the news to the General before the grapevine does."

=*=

Hesitating outside of the curtained area of the infirmary, Jacob's hand stopped in mid-air. He listened carefully to the voices coming from behind the curtain; surprised to hear General Hammond's low tones intermingled with Sam's and the Colonel's.

" If you're absolutely certain, Major, I'll put the appropriate paperwork through this afternoon." The General didn't sound too put out, if anything he sounded slightly amused. " I can't say it's not a little sad to see the end of one of my best teams but at the same time, I can't say I'm surprised."

" Thank you, Sir. And I'm sure. This is what I want." Sam sounded.. happy? Happy and relieved. Jacob frowned. After all she'd been through, she sounded happier than he'd heard her in a long time? " This is what we both want."

Both? He bristled. Of course the Colonel would have something to do with it. Selmac immediately leapt to Jack's defence, chiding Jacob silently. " Samantha's a big girl, Jacob. No one could force her into doing something she didn't want to do."

" Very well." From the tone of his voice, Jacob knew George was smiling. He sounded affectionate, fatherly.. Guilt hit him like a bucket of icy water. George sounded more like her father than he did. " Well, we've been thinking of creating a team of scientists to work primarily on base for a while.. The position of Commanding Officer to that team is yours if you want it."

" I think you can safely assume she does," Jack butted into the conversation and Jacob could see the grin on his face if he tried hard enough. " Oof! Hey! You weren't gonna say anything! You're just sitting there looking like the cat that got the cream!"

Wondering what had happened to prompt that outburst, Jacob spied through the crack between the curtains as General Hammond chuckled tolerantly. There was an extra pillow lying across Jacks bed, which the Colonel tossed back to his daughter as Jacob watched. Shaking his head in disbelief, he took a step back before anyone could see him. He couldn't help feeling a little amused: lobbing a pillow in the infirmary in front of her CO to what he assumed was her ex-CO? That was something Sam had inherited from her mother.

" Are you sure she didn't inherit her playfulness from you?"

Ignoring Selmac's teasing, he turned his attention back to the conversation going on behind the curtain just in time to hear the General say goodbye.

" Oh, and Major?" Pulling the curtain, General Hammond paused, a smile in place as he looked back at her. " Don't be too surprised if you find yourself back on SG-1 for a mission or two. I might need my best people together again every now and then."

" Understood, Sir." Jacob didn't have to see her to know she was smiling her appreciation. When was the last time she'd smiled at him like that? He really couldn't remember.

The General pulled the curtains open all the way, revealing Jacobs hiding place. Giving him a surprised look, George nodded in acknowledgment and continued on his way to his office. Not sure if Sam and Jack knew he was there, Jacob paused for a moment, talking a deep breath and making a final decision: what was his stand on the situation going to be? Did he support them or did he stick to his guns?

Mind made up, he crossed the invisible threshold and stepped into the curtained area, his eyes seeking and finding his daughters.

" Dad!" He was surprised to see a genuine smile light up her face and took comfort in her reaction at seeing him. " Hi."

" Hey kiddo." Moving to kiss her forehead, he took her hand and stood by the bed. " Listen to me, okay? Hear me out before you say anything."

The conflict inside him had been caused by a clash between two of the important aspects that made him who he was. The retired General had been at war with the man, both trying to be the better father. The General wanted to protect her future and her career; the man wanted to protect his daughter from getting hurt but he also knew how important it was for her to be happy.

When he'd arrived at the infirmary, he'd been determined to give talking some sense into her another go. He'd wanted to talk her out of it, to make her see what a big mistake she would be making if she jeopardized her career for something that might not last. Hearing General Hammond speak, however, had opened his eyes.

The General and the man stopped arguing. Jack was as good a man for the job as anyone else - better in fact. How many times had Jacob witnessed how loyal he was to those he served with and those he cared about? How many times had he looked at the Colonel looking at Sam and noticed the respect and sometimes pride in his eyes? How many people with such a strong reason for hating the Goa'uld would agree to make the sacrifice he had made?

" I'm not going to give you any lectures or tell you how many mistakes you're making," he started quietly, holding a hand up to quell her protests. " I don't want to say those things, not anymore. I know I've been butting in where I'm not wanted recently and I'm sorry if your decision to leave SG-1 has anything to do with me putting pressure on you to do something about the situation. You're a grown up; you're mature enough to make your own decisions and know what's best for you. I respect that, Sam. It's just hard for me to realise you don't need me anymore."

" I do need you, Dad. Now more than ever." She cut in before he could stop her, giving him a look that silenced any reprimand he might have been planning. " And you were right when you said I couldn't go on risking my career. Neither of us could. That's why we've made our minds up and done something about it. Hopefully this'll turn out to be better for all of us."

" You don't have to explain yourself, to me or anyone else. I just want you to be happy, Sam. That's all I ever wanted." Leaning down to hug her, he closed his eyes as she returned the embrace. " Promise me you'll be happy, okay?"

Nodding against him, Sam smiled brightly when he pulled away. " I promise, Dad."

" Good." Grinning at her, Jacob took a step back so he could see them both, bringing Jack into the conversation. " Now I don't want to know how long this has been going on, or any of the details. I can tell it's pretty serious and that's enough for me. Just make sure you keep me updated from now on.. And George, too; he's been waiting for this for a while.. Letting Doctor Fraiser and the others in on the secret wouldn't go amiss either."

He watched as the two traded glances and hid a smile when the look seemed to linger between them. The smile got harder to hide when Selmac gave a happy sigh internally, mumbling something about 'young love.' It made him feel old, but then.. she *was* years older than he was so he still had *something* to smile about.

" Well, kid, I gotta go back to the Tok'ra." Returning to her bedside, he kissed her forehead again and gave her a hug. To the surprise of the bedridden couple - and to Selmacs amusement - he then moved over to Jacks bed and gave the Colonel a brief but oh-so-manly embrace. " Look after my girl, Colonel."

" Yes Sir!" Jack grinned when Jacob started walking away, the older man chuckling at the note of amazed confusion in the Colonel's voice. He'd shut the curtains and was almost at the door when their voices carried over to him. " You think that was Selmac pretending to be Dad?"

" Maybe.. Are you complaining?"

" Hell no!" A small thoughtful pause interrupted the conversation. " Hey Sam?"

" Yes?"

" You think we could convince Doc to bring us a chessboard?"

Sam's laughter floated towards him and although he didn't get the joke, Jacob smiled. Doctor Fraiser was right, he mused as he headed for the Stargate. It was easier to leave his daughter knowing she was in good hands - even if those hands did belong to a sarcastic, smart-ass of a Colonel. If anyone could keep him in line, it'd be Sam. Just like her mother had done with him.

Jacob grinned evilly to himself as he arrived at the Stargate, ready to say his goodbyes to General Hammond, wondering if Jack knew what he was letting himself in for.

The End.



End Notes: mailto:Jo@ram32.freeserve.co.uk - it's over now so if you've read it and can spare a few moments, please let me know what you thought!

Peace 'n' Jello,

Jo. R