samandjack.net

Story Notes: All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.


Deep inside Cheyenne Mountain Colonel Jack O'Neill was walking slowly back to his room. He felt totally drained. For the last three hours he had been with their archaeologist, Daniel Jackson, listening to him pour his heart out about the events on Abydos. Finally, he had heard the full story. Jack sighed and shook his head. Daniel had been with his wife when she had given birth to another man's child. He thought back to the night Charlie was born - he had felt so amazed at the start of a new, totally dependent life. But how would he have felt if he had known the baby wasn't his? Could he have been so loving, so forgiving as Daniel had been? And all along Daniel had known that the Goa'uld would reawaken when the baby was born. Jack rubbed his eyes, yawned and stretched. He really ought to get some rest. Stopping outside his door he fumbled for his keys.

He was about to go in when he heard a noise. Pausing, he tried to work out where it was coming from, moving quietly towards the faint snuffling. The source seemed to be a door further down the corridor, a door he recognised as Sam Carter's. He listened intently - was she crying? It certainly sounded like it. This didn't make sense. Sure, they'd had an emotional few days - there was the trip to Washington, the reporter's death and then the events on Abydos, but nothing to warrant what he thought he could hear. He couldn't bear to listen any more. Tapping lightly on the door, he waited. There was silence, she must have heard him and was hoping he'd go away. He made up his mind - he was certainly not going to leave her like that. He knocked more forcefully.

"Carter, I know you're in there. Open up."

Footsteps approached the door. It opened a crack.

"Now is really not a good time, Sir."

"That's my point exactly, Captain. Can I come in or shall we continue this conversation where the whole base can hear?"

She moved aside to let him in. After he had shut the door he looked across at her. Sam was on the other side of the room staring sightlessly at the wall.

"Now are you going to tell me why you're hiding in your room crying your eyes out?"

Sam flinched visibly, as if she had been slapped. Jack instantly regretted the way he'd spoken.

"I'm sorry, that was out of line," he mumbled, then waited while she gathered her thoughts. She took a deep breath.

"It's my father. He's dying of cancer."

Her shoulders started to tremble, the tears were coming again. In two strides Jack was across the room and had enveloped her in a comforting hug.

"Oh, Sam, why didn't you say something?"

"I thought I could deal with it, Sir. I was wrong."

She looked up at him and his heart lurched when he saw the tearstained face and reddened eyes. He smiled at her gently.

"Call me Jack, we're off duty."

She attempted to smile back then her head slumped against his chest and she started sobbing again. Jack made soothing noises and softly stroked her hair. Savouring the warmth of her embrace his mind began to drift. The last time he had held her they had been freezing to death in Antarctica. Somehow being with Sam it hadn't seemed so bad. And of course there was the time she'd tried to seduce him... He smiled to himself. He could feel her breathing was more regular now, she was slowly calming down.

"I'm sorry, Sir... I mean Jack. I'm normally so in control, I don't usually cry."

"Bottling things up can make matters worse, Sam. Crying can be good for you."

They lapsed into a comfortable silence, Jack still holding her close. After several minutes Sam raised her face towards her commanding officer.

"Dad said he could get me into NASA. It was what I dreamed of as a little girl, what I always wanted."

She paused and started to chew her bottom lip. Her anguish was obvious, he hated to see her in so much pain. She looked away and let out a deep, heartfelt sigh.

"I turned him down... and... and I couldn't tell him why."

"He's Air Force, Sam, he knows there are some things you can't talk about. He understands."

"You didn't see his face. He didn't understand."

She shook her head sadly, the tears were threatening to come again. Jack put his hand under her chin and carefully tipped her head so he could study her face. His deep, brown eyes showed nothing but sympathy and concern.

"I want you to know that whatever happens, I'm here for you... always."

A faint smile lit her features. For a long moment they gazed intently at each other. He bent down and brushed her lips very gently with his.

"Remember, Sam... always."



The End