samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thread of Destiny - 07 - Please do not post or distribute this story without the author's permission. Copyright by Blue Topaz, 2002


I am standing in the gateroom, and the rest of my team plus SG-11 are ready to go to Hailan. SG-11 will deal with the treaty and SG-1, as the first contact team, will accompany them. I couldn't go because of my injury, so Carter will have the command of this mission. She's a little bit nervous, and who could blame her? The treaty with the Hailanese is important, so I move toward her.

"You're in command eh, Carter?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Cool."

She deserves it. If the situation with the Goa'uld wasn't such a pressing matter, I'd have her command her own team. SG-1 needs her, I need her in my team. She is a great soldier and scientist before she is the woman I love.

"So, how is the shoulder, Sir?"

"Oh, it's fine. The Doc twirled around her magic needle, should be better in a week's time."

She chuckles at my comment and relaxes a bit. "I see."

Hmm, the shooting was kinda odd actually. The sniper was clearly a professional one, he could've killed me if he wanted to. Instead, he just shot my shoulder, injuring me without actually causing serious damage. When the backup arrived, the sniper had already fled from the scene of the crime. What's the deal with all this? Hammond and my team are also aware of this, but we're completely in the dark. There's no hint whatsoever on who was behind the shooting. Well, there's the result of pissing off too many people. Not that I'm proud of it, it's just my nature to have so many foes.

"I wish I could come with you guys."

She is amused, "Really Sir? I thought you'd be happy to skip this mission."

Hey, that's not true. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"This is a diplomatic mission Sir. And you must admit that diplomacy is not your strongest suit." She can't hold back a smirk.

"True. But interesting things tend to happen on that planet." The ribbon, the promise, the embrace ... I really want to go back to that planet. Nothing but good things happened to us on our last visit.

She blushes for a while but quickly regains her composure, "Sure Sir, who could forget the way Daniel bullied you into wearing the sarong."

I look around, making sure that no one had heard her last comment. Luckily, Daniel and Teal'c are with the SG-11, having a last 'tutorial' on how to interact with the locals. I give her a warning glare and hiss.

"That's not interesting, Major. That's revolting, and I thought I've ordered you not to bring that up." Why did she have to remind me of that?

She's grinning, "The temptation was too much Sir. I couldn't resist. Besides, I haven't got my picture yet."

Because of the shooting, she thoughtfully postponed the deadline of my picture with only the sarong. Daniel and Teal'c had already done their part. The exact words she used were 'I want you to be in your prime condition when the picture is taken, Sir.' Of course she said it with one of her seductive smiles, the one that always made me weak to my knees. All I could do was nod, who could refuse that smile? Oh yeah, and there was the effect of the painkillers as well.

"Try harder. You'll have your picture in a month's time, Major."

"Can't wait. Teal'c's and Daniel's pictures are very ... enjoyable, Sir. I hope yours will also give me the same pleasure."

"Oh, don't you even worry about that."

Hammond's voice comes out from the speaker, "The MALP shows no indication of hostility. SG-1 and SG-11, you have a go."

"Yes, Sir." All the soldiers in the small party chorus.

"Okay people, Teal'c and I will go first, Daniel, you and SG-11 follow up behind us."

It's nice to see another side of her, full of control, mmm, I might let her have command now and then after this mission.

"Teal'c, be careful with the naquada generator."

"I will Major Carter."

The naquada generator will be used as a demonstration for the Hailan, to make them understand why we need the naquada from their soil. Daniel had said that it was also important to share that technology with the Hailan because they deserved it; it's the same design as the generator we gave to the Enkarans.

"Have fun Carter."

"Yeah sure you betcha."

With that she walks up the ramp and disappears through the blue puddle, with Teal'c right behind her. I feel uneasy, something is going to happen, I know that for sure. Daniel and SG-11 are walking towards the wormhole when suddenly the iris starts to close.

"What the ..." I look up to the control room, "General, what's going on?" The General looks as confused as I am, and he is quickly barking orders to Sgt. Davis. I run to the control room, and when I arrive there I can hear Davis informing the General.

"Sir, we have no control over the iris."

"How could this happen?"

"I have no idea, Sir. Running a full diagnostic." Davis is typing frantically.

"Jack, what's going on?" Daniel has just entered the control room.

"I don't know. We can't open the iris."

"That's not good."

"It's not."

The computer has finished the diagnostic, Davis studying the results.

"Sir, someone hacked into the mainframe and reprogrammed the computer."

"Is that actually possible?"

"It is, Sir. But you have to have an access to this computer or the one in Major Carter's lab. Whoever it is Sir, the culprit may still be in the Major's lab. The reprogramming is not completed yet." The SGC computer is very secure, Carter spent months just to make sure that it's impenetrable from the outside world.

Hammond reaches for the mike, "Security to Major Carter's lab. I repeat, security to Major Carter's lab. Arrest anyone inside the lab."

"*SGC, this is Major Carter. Do you read?*" Carter's voice, thank God she made it to the other side safely.

I rapidly grab the mike, "Carter, are you alright?"

"*Yes Sir, but where's Daniel and SG-11?*"

"We got a little problem here, Major. They can't join you yet, just wait there for further instruction."

"*Copy that. Carter out.*"

Davids clears his throat, "Uhm, Sir. You might want to know this. The reprogramming is finished, we have no control over the gate at all."

"Can we fix it?" Daniel asks.

"I don't know. If Major Carter were here, she might be able to do it. But ..."

"But she's not here." I add. If she's here, she could've fixed this problem in no time. But right now, she's stranded in Hailan.

"Maybe one of our computer experts like Lt. Simmons could do it Sir, but I'm not so sure."

The General frowns for a while, "Do it. Call everyone we have, we can not afford to loose control over the Stargate."

"Yes, Sir."

An SF comes to the control room and salutes the General.

"Sir, we found Major Wagner in Major Carter's lab. He's in confinement right now, he said that he wants to speak with Colonel O'Neill."

"Colonel ... "

"I'm on my way General."

------------------------------------------------

Wagner is sitting on the floor as I come in, and his eyes are mocking me.

"The Great Colonel O'Neill, how nice it is for you to join me here."

I have no time for his mockery, "Cut the pep talk, Wagner. What the Hell were you thinking?"

"Always straight to the point huh, just like she said you would be?"

He starts to get up and approaches me, standing right in front of the bars.

"Who's she?"

"Catherine. She worships you, but ironically, you're the one who doomed her to her death."

"I know lots of Catherines, which one are you referring to?"

He looks up to the sky and his expression softens, "You see, Cath. He doesn't even care about you, to him you're just another soldier, another face, another name."

"Wagner ... I don't care about any Catherine right now. How can we fix the computer problem?"

He gives me a smirk, "My name is not Wagner, it's ... Mills."

And then it hits me, "Catherine Mills." She was on my team, an explosive expert like Wagner. But on a mission gone bad, she was killed. I was in command of that mission.

"Remember her now, Colonel? But don't worry about her now, it's not important anymore. All you have to worry about now is Major Carter." He stands proud like a champion, "I put a bomb on the naquada reactor."

"You did WHAT?" I can feel my rage seething out.

He smiles cynically, "Don't worry, Colonel. I'll let you play the hero. And you have ..." , he looks at his watch, "just around 27 minutes to do that."

- to be continued -