samandjack.net

Story Notes: In Demand 22: Season: Season 7

Sequel: Part 22 of the In Demand series Previous parts are: In Demand, Momentum, Epidemic, See Jack Run, Classified, Prelude, Discoveries,Under Surveillance, T-Ball, Homerun, Good Things, Tell Her, Bad Days, Batteries,Bliss, Where You Lead, Phone Bills, Just Another Sunday, Prodigal Son, In the Pilot's Seat, and Killing Time

Author's Notes: This part has been written, re-written, and started over at least 4 times. Then I was preparing a care package for my daughter at college, and suddenly it just clicked. Hope it was worth waiting for!

Email: jackiesfic@aol.com


In Demand 22: Care Package


Sam slipped the large padded envelope marked 'CONFIDENTIAL: FOR COLONEL O'NEILL'S EYES ONLY' onto the F.R.E.D. which was loaded with supplies headed to the Alpha site. She had really been hoping that she would be personally accompanying the supplies, making a surprise visit to her husband, but it just hadn't worked out that way. Oh, well. Hopefully he would be home in a week and they could have a welcome back celebration that would make his toes curl. Although it would be tough to top the evening they had spent before he'd left, she thought with a grin. In the mean time, hopefully the package she was sending would keep him from getting grouchy.

Three weeks earlier Hammond had called SG1 in and explained that they were being given separate assignments for the next four weeks. The expansion of the Alpha site had finally gotten the last sign off needed, and Colonel O'Neill would be needed there to supervise the project for at least a month. Hammond was sending Teal'c along to help oversee the relocation of a large group of rebel Jaffa into new quarters. Since Bra'tac and Rya'c would be there it would be great chance for Teal'c to spend some time with his friend and son as well.

In addition, SG8 had requested that Daniel accompany them back to a planet where extensive ruins had been found. The archeologist had jumped at the chance to go dig for a couple of weeks. Their temporary fifth member of the last several months, Captain Wilson, was permanently reassigned as the 2IC of SG6, and Sam herself had quite a backlog of requests that Hammond was happy to finally be able to fulfill. Sam had ended up spending a week at the Pentagon reviewing the progress on the Deep Space Radar System, and then had spent a week working on upgrades to the X302. She'd been back in Colorado Springs for the last week splitting her time between her lab and the Academy. She'd convinced Hammond that a trip to the Alpha site would be a break for her, and would allow her to check on the set-up of the new science lab. But at the last minute, something had come up, and she wasn't going to be able to go.

An hour after the F.R.E.D. departed, Jack sat in his office light years away, having given strict instructions to the young SF outside his door that he wanted no interruptions. He opened the envelope and turned it over. The first several items that fell out made him chuckle. A new game for his GameBoy along with a fresh pack of batteries, and a copy of a just released Simpson's anthology. A note attached to the book in Sam's writing promised that she was faithfully taping the show for him. The last item was a small flat box, neatly wrapped in plain yellow wrapping paper, and stamped 'TOP SECRET'.

He made short work of the wrapping paper, and opened the box to find a small note, also in Sam's writing that simply said 'WE HAVE JOY'. He set the card aside now completely intrigued. The phrase was code for a successful engine burn, but he doubted Sam was referring to a rocket launch. He realized that the card had been sitting on top of something wrapped in tissue paper, so he carefully folded back the paper to reveal the object.

If the first couple of items had made him smile, this final present was cause for a load whoop of joy. Tucked inside the tissue was a small plastic wand with two blue lines, and another note that gave him a very important piece of information. 'ETA – 05/04/2004'

The end