samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author: Sheryl Martin/Nantus

Email: xfdragon@zoominternet.net


Lullaby


It had been a long, miserable week and all Samantha Carter wanted was to curl up for a nice long nap of about two days or so. Granted, the summit on P6K-801 had gone well with a variety of promises being made to Earth and hopefully some of them would come through. But the beds had been too hard, the writing too small and while Daniel Jackson was higher than a kite wallowing in the political schmoozing she could only think about her own mattress, her own bathtub and her own space. Teal'c had been chomping at the bit to return as well, spending more and more time meditating - which involved sitting with Colonel O'Neill and discussing the various types of water life on Chulak and almost every other planet they had visited and how to catch them.

So when she had finished her long bath and pulled on her sweatpants and a light tshirt for bed, she expected nothing more than a few hours of peace and quiet.

And that's what she got. At least until 3:39 a.m. when she woke up, feeling more than a little queasy and wondering if she had really needed that last piece of Kung pao chicken.

And feeling a hand on her bare stomach. And a warm body pressed against her. And the slightest touch of a breath on her neck, familiar from an old memory.

Some instincts are impossible to break, no matter how much training you've had. And for the single female, there is a specific reaction to waking up in bed with someone who you had not planned to wake up with.

And Sam Carter, for all her years of military protocol and studies, scrambled out of bed as if her pyjamas were literally on fire. Falling on the floor she banged her head on the nighttable beside the bed and found herself pressed up against the wall, her hands searching for any weapon at hand.

As her eyes adjusted to the dim light she found herself more disoriented than ever, her heart racing faster than if she had Gated into a Gou'ald class reunion.

"Carter?" The squeaky question came from the other side of the bed, where her commanding officer stood, clutching the single bedsheet to his chest as he pressed himself against the opposite wall. "What the hell are you doing in my bed?"

"Nothing, sir." Forcing herself to slow down her breathing, she got to her feet. "Uh, sir. you're dressed." She could just make out the thin tshirt and boxers sticking out where the sheet didn't cover. "As am I."

O'Neill looked down at where his fists gripped the fabric in a stranglehold. "Well, yeah." Dropping it back on the bed he ran one hand over his head. "Damn it, Carter - what the heck is going on?"

"I don't know." Standing up she looked around the bedroom, recognizing it more now that she was awake. "I was asleep in my own bed, and."

Reaching for a pair of jeans O'Neill turned away from her as he pulled them on over the boxers. "You better not have doubleparked out in the street. They're great for handing out tickets."

"You think I sleepwalked? Sleptwalked?" Reaching out for a clean uniform shirt draped over the back of one chair she pulled it on over her own thin top, thanking her inner consciousness for not choosing tonight to be the night she slept au natural. That would have been the topper to this entire affair. Her fingers fumbled with the buttons.

"Well, I sure didn't do it." Flipping on the hall light he waved a hand towards the kitchen. "I'm getting some coffee and then we can figure this one out." As he padded down the hall in bare feet he shook his head. "And it was going so well." His mumbled words reached her ears, making her both smile and blush.

A half-hour later the pair sat at the kitchen table. "There's nothing outside." Jack took a sip from his mug. "You must have walked here."

"Nope." She pulled up one foot on the wooden chair, showing him the sole. "Clean as a whistle. I took a bath before climbing into bed. And no shoes anywhere."

"Okay." He clenched his eyes shut for a long minute before continuing. "So you were transported here." Jack looked upwards to the ceiling. "Thor." His tone rose.

"You think the Asgards did this?" She glanced up for a second before returning to study her coffee. "I didn't think."

"Well, neither did I until we met Loki." Rubbing his face hard for a long minute Jack shook his head. "Well, let me get a decent shirt on and I'll drive you home. Hammond owes us an extra day here and there, so we'll clock this one down and call it equal." He paused, taking in the woman sitting nearby. "Uh. I'll get another shirt." Pushing himself away from the table he tripped over an imaginary bump in the carpet as he stumbled towards the bedroom. Carter couldn't help smiling, flexing her arms as the material settled on her skin.

*****************

"Oh, for crying out." The flashing red lights could be seen at a distance, lighting up the small street. As the truck slowed to a crawl O'Neill reached over and grabbed the door handle just as she put her hand on it, trapping her in her seat.

"No jumping out." He said, his command voice replacing the previous casual tone. "Let's see what's happening before you get out there and get your feet cut up on something."

She nodded, a fraction slower than if they had both been in uniform. Turning down a pair of shoes or even socks had seemed reasonable at the time, when it was just going to be a fast drive home on a summer night. But now things seemed to be a bit more. complicated. Her small street was suddenly alit with a plethora of police cars and trucks, all focused in on her home. She could only wonder what her neighbours were thinking. Again. It'd taken weeks after the Orlin "incident" for them to believe she wasn't one step away from being the newest female serial killer.

A policeman waved them to a stop, his flashlight wavering in the early morning light. "Can't go any further, folks." He glanced at Carter, one eyebrow rising at her unusual attire. "Got a crime scene here."

"Yes, I see." Sam spoke before Jack could. "It happens to be my house." She pointed at the trio of squad cars in her driveway, one parked haphazardly on the lawn. "What's going on?"

"You live here?" The young cop placed his hand on the truck's door as if to keep them there. "I think you should stay right here for a minute." He began to chatter into his radio as Jack looked straight ahead at the house.

"Having a party?" He gestured to the officers coming around from the back of the house, dragging a man between them.

"Not that I recall." Her voice trailed off as they watched the group move to one of the patrol cars; the lead officer opening the door and helping the bedraggled man lower his head to get into the car. His long dark slick hair covered his shoulders as he ducked down, his thick arms straining to free themselves from the handcuffs. As the car door slammed shut Jack let out his breath slowly.

"I could take him easily, you know." He shrugged. "Really."

A knock came on the window at Sam's side of the truck, causing her to jump. O'Neill's hand moved towards his glove compartment, stopping once he recognised the uniform.

"Ms Carter?" The senior officer rapped on the window again. Rolling it down, Carter flinched at the early morning air rushing in.

"That's my house." Opening the door she got out, wrapping her arms around her as she took a tentative step on the roadway. "What's going on?" The sleeves of the oversized uniform shirt offered little protection as she began to shiver.

"Well." The policeman scratched his head, taking in her appearance. An I.D. appeared in front of his face, displaying the photograph of one Air Force Colonel, name of J. O'Neill. It lowered to show the real thing staring at the officer with a much sterner expression than the photo.

"What. Happened." Jack jerked a thumb at the house, now filled with evidence gathering teams wandering in and out.

"We got a phone call about a possible prowler." He nodded towards the squad cars. "One of your neighbours called the hotline we had set up."

Carter put up her hand. "What hotline?"

"The hotline set up for the sexual predator in this area." The officer frowned. "It was on the news nonstop for the past week; pervert attacking women in their homes. We set up a hotline and sent mail out to everyone in the area asking them to keep an eye out."

Jack interrupted. "We've been away for a bit. Work and all." Stepping around the lead officer he moved closer to her. "So this guy."

"Broke into Ms Carter's house here. She was lucky she wasn't there, otherwise." He shook his head as the patrol car containing the suspect drove by them. "Last two women are still in intensive care." He shrugged. "I know you're a military officer, but." Raising his clipboard, the policeman made another note. "We did a little bit of damage getting in there to get the guy, but nothing we can't have repaired in a day or two."

"Where did you find him?" Carter's voice was low and balanced.

"He was in your bedroom." The pen scratched another line. "Funny thing, he must have thought you were home. Probably waited until dark and just bided his time."

"Yeah. Funny thing." Turning around she got back in the truck, leaving O'Neill behind.

"She going to be okay?" The cop asked. "I mean, if she wants anything we can get it for her or go in with her."

"She's fine." Jack pulled a business card out of his wallet. "Call here if you need anything from her, otherwise just let us know when she can come back." Stepping around the truck he got in, putting it in gear and reversing out of the crime scene.

The drive home was fast and quiet, the Colonel's knuckles white where they gripped the steering wheel; matching the Major's face. As they pulled into the driveway Carter hopped out, gripping her stomach. Turning to one side she began to retch into the bushes that ran along each side of the lane, bent almost double with the exertion.

Slamming his door shut Jack walked around to the other side of the truck, putting his hand on her back as she continued to choke and cough dryly, rubbing the light fabric in small circles. "It's okay, Carter." He sighed. "Nothing happened."

Waving him off she stood up, wavering on her feet. "But it could have." Sam shook her head. "Oh, God."

"Let's get inside." Not waiting for her response Jack put one hand around her waist, the other on her arm as he marshalled her up the driveway and into his house. Closing the door behind them he led her to the living room they had just left, ushering her down on to the couch. She let her head fall back onto the cushions, her eyes closed.

"Stay. There." He disappeared into the bathroom, leaving her alone. Dipping a clean washcloth into the sink he ran cold water over it, trying to avoid catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror.

Walking back into the living room he sat down beside her, wiping her face. "Good thing I didn't make us breakfast. Be a waste of some perfectly good food."

She smiled, keeping her eyes shut. "Trust you to find a bright side to all this."

"Well, there was the part about waking up to find you in my bed." He tried to smile, managing something between a grin and a smirk.

"So what happened?" Taking the cloth from him she put it on her leg, feeling the moisture begin to seep through the light fabric as she stripped the uniform shirt off and tossing it to one side.

"Well, I can't be certain but I'd say that Thor definitely had something to do with this." As if on cue, a bright light flashed in an empty corner of the room, familiar to the two of them.

"Colonel O'Neill; Major Carter." The Asgardian hovered just above the floor, sitting in his usual chair. "I apologise for not coming sooner to explain, but other matters needed my attention."

Sam dabbed at her forehead with the damp cloth. "I suppose I should thank you, but."

"It was never our intention to alarm you and I apologise for that." Thor turned his face towards Jack. "It has been our custom to monitor SG-1 when in the area to provide a degree of extra protection for our allies."

"And you didn't think of telling us?" Jack's tone rose a fraction. "And what do you mean by 'monitoring'? Are you spying on us?"

"I guess you could say that, to a certain degree." Thor's own tone remained unchanged. "When we have a ship in the area it is standard procedure to locate all SG-1 members and maintain surveillance on them until out of range." He nodded towards Sam. "We detected the intruder and had to act before you were harmed."

"So you transported me into Colonel O'Neill's bed?" Her voice rose a few degrees from polite and civil to almost angry command level.

"We had to make sure you were secure and safe." The Asgardian tilted his head to one side. "It was a logical assumption that the safest place at this time was in the Colonel's presence."

"Ah. I see." Jack's eyebrows rose. "Good thing Daniel's not in a high-crime district."

"We could not send you to a police station and risk discovery." Thor continued. "And while the SGC was an option, I decided this was a better choice." He paused, his mouth turning upward in what could almost pass for an Asgardian smile. "Dr. Jackson, while important to you, does not exactly qualify for the same treatment. I believe we would have transported him elsewhere, were he in the same danger."

"Thank you." Leaning forward, Sam wiped her face again. "I'm just a little shaky from this entire thing."

"Understandable." Thor nodded again. "Although we do not involve ourselves in Terran events, we could not sit by and allow you to be harmed."

"Well, thanks." Jack looked at her, then back to the Asgardian. "But how much." He stopped as the bright light appeared again, removing Thor from their view. "I really, really hate never being able to finish a conversation with him, you know."

Dropping the cloth on the carpet floor Sam leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees as she covered her face with her hands. His hand hovered over her for a second then he picked up the washcloth and walked into the kitchen.

"I'll make some more coffee."

"No, it's okay." She appeared behind him, her arms wrapped around herself as she shifted from one foot to the other. "I just need to get some sleep, I think."

"Sure. I'll call Hammond and give him the info - let him know we won't be in today. And to check and make sure no one else got 'relocated' suddenly." He replied, seeing her turn and walk down the corridor to the bedroom before he had finished talking.

"I hate this." Jack announced to the empty room, reaching for the phone.

The bedroom was almost familiar now, the bed no longer a threat but offering comfort. Climbing up onto the mattess Sam wrapped her arms around a pillow, inhaling a man's scent as she closed her eyes. She wasn't physically tired, but emotionally. it's one thing to be facing down a Jaffa patrol with a P-90 and her teammates beside her, another to be threatened in her own house; in her own bedroom.

"Here." Her eyes flashed open to see Jack squatting down beside her, a glass of water in one hand and a pair of aspirin in the other. "Don't tell me you don't need these."

Propping herself up on one elbow she swallowed the pills, draining the glass. "Thanks."

"I just got off the phone with Hammond. He's cool with everything - well, not the entire Asgard spying thing but he's just glad you're safe."

Sam nodded, staring at the bottom of the glass. "I would have been fine, you know. I am qualified in."

Taking the glass from her he waved a hand in the air. "Hey, you don't need to sell me on your credentials. I know you can kick butt. I've seen it."

Flopping back onto the pillow she stared at the ceiling. "Then why does everyone think I need saving?"

"Who's 'everyone'?" Moving up to sit on the edge of the bed O'Neill put the glass on the nighttable. "If you mean Thor, well. this is the same fella who asked you for your 'strange ideas' that ended up saving their butts more than once." His fingers smoothed out a wrinkle in the sheet, dangerously close to her hand. "They think we're constantly in need of saving, if you hadn't noticed. Not that they'll ever give us anything."

"I guess so." Sam rubbed her forehead. "I'm probably just overreacting."

"Well, it's been a busy night." Reaching over he grabbed the edge of the sheet he had been using previously for defence, tugging it over her. "Just get some sleep for now. Hammond'll want a debrief when we get back." He chuckled. "But I think we'll tell them you showed up on my couch, okay?"

"That may be the best approach." She mumbled, her eyes half-shut. "I don't think the SGC is ready for the Asgardian dating game." Her hand touched his, pressing it into the bed. "You'll need some sleep too."

"I." He gestured with his free hand towards the hallway. "Couch works fine for me. Really. Passed out on it a lot."

"Colonel." Carter yawned, turning onto her side to face the nighttable, releasing his hand. "Whatever works for you. Just stay within yelling distance, then."

Closing her eyes she felt the weariness start to drain her, stealing the energy from her bones as the situation finally sank in. She could hear footsteps moving around the bed, towards the hall.

Back around the bed to the opposide side, the mattress sinking under the weight of a second person. His back pressed against hers, the warmth sending a shiver down her spine. Fingers touched her hip, retreating after a brief caress.

"Yell if you need me." The soft voice mumbled.

"Will do."

"And next time, Thor." O'Neill looked upwards. "Less clothing, please."

The answering snort from the opposite side of the bed brought a smile to his face as he closed his eyes.

----------------------the end----------------------