samandjack.net

Story Notes: SEASON: Umm... 7? Sure, why not.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: My response to the 2003 samandjack Christmas Challenge. I forget what the criteria are but I know I met them.

Big, big thanks to Vicki James for the virtually instant beta and the summary suggestion. My knowledge of Christmas carols is greatly lacking. I don't know what song my summary comes from so I can't even put in a disclaimer for it. I have no intention of ripping off anyone, promise. :)


Jack paused among the trees just on the edge of the clearing where the Stargate sat unmoving. Just as he had predicted, Sam was surrounded by the innards of the DHD as she attempted to fix whatever it was that had gone wrong. In spite of the failing light, his major didn't appear as though she intended to move any time soon.

With a sigh that was half-exasperated and half-affectionate Jack moved away from the protection of the trees, unsurprised when Sam lifted her head to watch him despite his near-silent approach. Although she had a tendency to become absorbed in her projects, over the years he had watched as she honed her instincts so that she was always aware of what was going on around her, especially off-world. "Sir," she greeted him, her smile visible even in the gloom of dusk.

He smiled back. "Hey, Carter." He gestured at the components scattered across the ground. "How goes it?"

She looked at the pieces sitting in her lap. "I'm getting there. A few more hours, a day at most, and I think we'll be able to go home."

"Tomorrow's soon enough, Carter. Come on back to camp."

"But-"

"Carter." He raised his eyebrow and she shut up. "Tomorrow. You don't even have enough light left to see what you're doing."

She sighed but conceded his point. "Yes sir." Rising to her knees she began gathering together the DHD components, placing some back inside the DHD itself and putting others under the tarp she'd brought with her the day before. When the last piece had been safely stowed away she moved fluidly to her feet. Tilting his head, he let her go first along the narrow path that led to their campsite, following only steps behind.

Teal'c and Daniel had managed to get a fire going while he'd been gone; although it was a fairly warm evening it somehow seemed cozier to have a fire - especially when they were stranded on an alien planet on Christmas Eve.

They sat around eating meagre rations, drinking weak instant coffee, and talking. As the night wore on and the shadows darkened into utter blackness, first Daniel and then Teal'c retired to the tent. Somewhere around midnight - or what Jack figured to be that planet's version of it, anyway - Sam rose from her spot on the opposite side of the fire and he felt a stab of disappointment. He knew she must have been tired after spending the entire day working to bring them home but he'd looked forward to spending a little more time with her.

He watched as she rinsed her coffee cup before tossing it into her pack, surprised when she bypassed both her tent and her previous position to sit next to him, close but not quite touching. "Hell of a way to spend Christmas, huh?" he asked. "Stuck halfway across the galaxy on an alien planet with a malfunctioning DHD...."

From the corner of his eye he saw her shrug. "If we weren't here then we'd be twenty-eight floors underground. To be honest, I prefer here with you guys."

She had a point - since neither of them had any plans, they'd both volunteered to work the Christmas shifts. "Yeah, about that - I thought you were going to your brother's for the holidays?"

"In a couple of days," she confirmed. "Dad can't make it until then so I decided to wait so we could fly out together." She tilted her head in his direction, though she didn't actually look at him. "You?"

"Working," he responded without elaborating and she nodded wordlessly, not pushing. They settled into a comfortable silence and Jack felt himself relax as he stared into the flames. It was some time later that Sam finally stirred and he figured that she was finally ready to bunk down for the night.

When her warm body pressed against his side, her head a welcome weight on his shoulder, Jack could only sit in shock for several seconds. Eventually, oh so carefully, he turned his head to the left so that his nose brushed through her hair. "Merry Christmas," he whispered.

A slight movement at his side, and then a hand slid down his forearm before warm fingers tangled with his. "Merry Christmas," she murmured, her voice little more than a sigh in the pitch-black night.

Oh yeah - he'd *much* rather be stranded in the middle of nowhere than be back on the base. The holidays simply didn't get any better than this.

--end--