samandjack.net

Story Notes: Yes please. Of any kind. If you think I suck.....tell me!


Sam concentrated as best she could, but it was no use. It was too late in the day, and far too far down the bottle to be able to arrange the symbols before her into any meaningful order, or assign them any real relevance to the task at hand. She looked across the table, and saw Jack's eyes staring in much the same way at his own cards. He blinked several times, eyebrows skyward as he attempted to understand the shapes that swam in front of his eyes.

"I think it would be wise to curtail this event, and reschedule to another day" Teal'c said in his usual bass monotone. Jack and I whipped out heads around to face him at the insinuation that we couldn't finish the game, then instantly regretted it when our vision took several seconds to catch up, our brains left to slosh in the alcohol that they were now, surely, suspended in.

"No way Teal'c!" Jack intoned. His voice a croak with whiskey damage and lack of use over the last two hours of tense play. "We play till I win!"

I looked up at him then, not even bothering to rise to his challenge, his 31st, no, 32nd attempt to psyche me out this evening. He looks awful. His hair sticks up in grey-brown tufts where his fingers left it as he clawed desperately through it last hand. Last hand. That I won. Me. I won it. I did.

I wish again that our brains could take Polaroid's at those o-so-perfect moments. I would have a score of them on my wall. Jacks face when he saw me in that dress among the Shavadaii... Jacks face when he found out our "other" selves were engaged... Oh and a hundred others. Plus one from tonight. Jacks face when I slapped down a full house right in front of his nose... oh those sweet, sweet moments of revenge! I can still almost see it, though time and alcohol have taken their toll.

I remember the way his brows drew together in disbelief, his mouth hanging open, beer roughened tongue a part of the roof of his mouth. The way his tired brown eyes flicked from the cards to my face, and back again. Heh. My mouth still hurts from two minutes of solid smiling when our eyes finally locked and I saw a mixture of amusement and crushing embarrassment there. Card Shark O'Neill he'd called himself. I remember the way I listened innocently to his stories of poker prowess, eyes all wide and dewy, in my best "I'm just a lost little girl look" that I saved for occasions of impending humiliation such as this one.

"Are you gonna play or what?"

I look up then, caught unawares both by his disarming smile, and the feel of a socked foot kicking against my shin. I kick back, and smile warmly up at him and make my choice of card, and discard.

"Your turn sir" I say, and watch as he tries to see through my cards from his side. Yeah. X-ray vision. There's something else I could do with.

A groan from the side interrupts us once more, and we turn to see if Daniel has struggled back to consciousness through the impenetrable gauze of two bottles of Beck's, and that whiskey lid he sniffed.

"I believe I should move Daniel Jackson to a more appropriate place" Says Teal'c as he turns from his straight backed position to look behind him at the figure arranged like a ragdoll on the couch.

"Nah.... leave 'im. Its his own fault. If he's not gonna learn to keep up with the rest of us, then we get to make fun of him" Jack smiles at me then. His eyes warm and mischievous, as I glance again at our prone Danny. He's arranged where he fell after he finished the last bottle. All credit due, he did actually finish the bottle and place it on the table before falling, so he is improving. He snores gently as his head is resting over one arm of the chair, mouth open. Jack wanted to draw on his face while he slept, but Teal'c vetoed us on that one, so instead the two of us carefully arranged a whole two bags worth of popcorn across his body. Childish I know, but fun all the same.

Glancing back across the table, I notice that Jack is once again trying to see through my cards. At least... that's what it seems like he's doing I think, as I realise I am holding the cards protectively across my chest. I raise an eyebrow at him, hoping to catch him in the act; but his eyes, bleary though they are, are fixed on my breasts. Or the cards. I know which I'd prefer. Hmm. I could be wicked... or I could be really wicked here.

Leaning forward slightly, I reach up absently, and undo the next button on my blouse. It by no means reveals anything, as it's only the second button, but that extra centimetre or two of flesh makes him swallow a sudden lump in his throat, and I smile even more. He's so sozzled that he doesn't even realise he's staring, and I realise it's gonna take more than that to break his concentration. Huh. You're supposed to be concentrating on your cards Jack, it's your turn.

Hmm...

I reach up again and start fingering with the next button, all the while pretending to study my next move. Meanwhile, Jack's hand of cards has slowly drifted towards the table top, forgotten, as his eyes widen, willing me to do what he thinks I will. He's leaning forward now, a little too eagerly, and I begin to wonder what inappropriate thoughts my commanding officer is having about me. Not that I haven't had some inappropriate thoughts of my own, but hey, they're only thoughts, Jack is practically starting to drool at the mouth! Still, it's probably just because I'm female, and I seem to be unbuttoning my shirt.

Sometimes I wonder about the effect of alcohol on men, and after many careful hours of observation, I'm almost convinced they would act the same whether it was their mother, sister, or green female bug-eyed monster from outer space in this position, so I let it slide... for now.

Time seems to stand still.

I ease one side of the button from its restraints, and I am suddenly aware of the raggedness of Jack's breathing. It's no good. I can't resist this urge to wind him up. As I gently tug on the button to free it, I prise one shoe off with my other foot, and ease it across the floor to an appropriate place, next to his. He's leaning even nearer now. Does he think I don't notice? Does he truly think I'm way too engrossed in these cheap, fraying cards and too far gone on whiskey that I wouldn't notice his leering? I am aware of Teal'c eyeing me, even he is aware of the terrible tension in the room, but I know he won't say anything. He never has before in all the times Jack and I have flirted, but this one is different. I am very definitely in control. No flip comment from you this time Jack, you're too far gone, and I hold all the aces... literally.

I smile as the button comes free, but pause a moment before releasing the edge of the blouse to fall free and open again, revealing another new inch of flesh. Jack pauses too, I hear a sharp intake, then he waits. Now. Do it now! I suddenly move my leg forward, and with the top and toes of my foot, I sketch a sensual arc up the back of his calf. The effect is electric!

"Yie!"

Jack leaps backward with the sudden contact, and as he half staggers to stand, he becomes entangled with the table and chair legs, and loses, falling backward. I can't help but laugh.

"Sam! What the hell did you do that for?" He yells from the floor, face red with anger... well... mostly anger.

Teal'c looks from Jack to me, and says nothing. Sometimes I wonder what's going on behind those often impassive eyes. I wonder if he's also laughing, inside.

I don't even dignify Jack with an answer.

He gets up, dragging the chair with him, and attempts to arrange himself in a graceful manner at the table. A little difficult since he seems to be rather uncomfortable in his tight trousers. He looks so wronged, so much the victim as his brain surfaces for a moment for a breath of fresh air, bobbing above the tide of booze. He stares at me, wanting an answer. I give him one. As he watches, I stare into his eyes and ever so matter-of-factly I slowly and deliberately button my blouse up again, to the top. He flushes for a second, eyes darting from mine, and I know I've caught him. Better still, he knows it too.

"It's your turn Jack. Are you going to play? Or are you too... distracted?"

His eyes are dark as he looks back, thinking I'm angry. Seeing my gentle amusement, his face brightens, and he flicks a glance at his cards before raising the stakes again, flicking down some more chips.

"Well Sam... you gonna meet that bet?"

Oh don't you even try O'Neill, I think. He's been beaten once when I caught him, but his male bravado is up and running again, and this time he means to win. Win the final battle and you can drown out all the failures that have come before. Huh. Alcohol and testosterone... a very dangerous mix. Well... two can play at that game I think...

Five minutes later and almost all the chips are down... literally. He's starting to look a little worried, shifting in his chair. I'm not. I'm very cool, and it infuriates him so. He plays a final bet. His eyes meet mine. I know he's trying to bluff me... it's obvious. So obvious. And I'm taking him for all I can get. Suddenly, he tries to make me lose it with the old "taste of your own medicine trick", as I feel his warm foot start to slide up and down the outside of one calf.

Oh no. That's not gonna work O'Neill. I smile up at him, and he smiles back, raising one humorous eyebrow. Oh he's enjoying this...and so am I. I could end it all now, put him out of his misery, but I'm enjoying torturing him too much. It's nothing to do with the feel of his leg against mine of course, I'm merely enduring that. Honestly. If he really thinks that will have any...effect...on...me. Oh. Oh that's dirty Jack. I almost loose composure and have to bite my lower lip and he slides his toes up my trouser leg, moving in lazy circles. The soft nap of the sock torture against bare flesh.

I shuffle my cards.

"Well Sam? C'mon! What's it gonna be? You gonna play or what?"

I look up at him, and we smile wickedly at each other. Secret partners in crime. Teal'c is swinging his head from side to side, obviously confused at the strange change in mood. Oh I'm glad Danny is asleep. He'd be shocked that his two friends would try to out-flirt each other over the sake of one hand of cards. Well he doesn't know. And I'm enjoying it. And Jack's enjoying it. I pause to wonder just how much Jack is enjoying it when he pulls his foot away, and the resultant cool air on my skin heightens the loss. I guess I knew he'd stop it sooner or later. He wouldn't let it go too far, he never does. Good. No honestly...good. It's not like I...I mean...I don't really fancy him...well not all that much. God. Listen to me...trying to justify things in my own head. He's gorgeous. He really is, but he's my CO. And I'm his XO. And so we draw the line. As ever. Oh well.

Jack shifts in his chair in discomfort, and stretches a hand down to scratch at his leg. Sigh. It's time to end this, time to put the poor old guy out of his misery, after all we wouldn't want him to...Oh. Oh dear. My head snaps up and as my blue eyes meet his chocolate ones, his face slowly breaks into a wicked smile. Daring me to challenge him. The bastard! I can't believe this! God such sweet torture! I realise my whole body has gone tense, and I force it to relax as his now bare foot, eases it's way as far up my trouser leg as it can go. Just as I think it can't get any worse, his other foot, now bare as well, joins it, vying for space as they deliver a secret, sensual caress.

He leans forward, elbows on the table, cards held closed against his chest. His eyes sparkle at me, and I can't believe how far he would go just to win! That's men for you, and that's this particular man for you. Anything to win. He grins openly at me now, thinking it's all over as I struggle to gulp down a breath, feeling my whole body start to respond to his touch. Well no sir! I am not letting you worm your way out of this one with a smile!

Teal'c continues to observe as I lift my cards in a slow arc, and bring them close to the table, still hidden to him. The pot is rich, am I no longer am. But I have one advantage. I know he's bluffing...and I call it.

I watch in hidden triumph as his face pales, the smile sliding floorwards as his legs pause, and slowly drop from mine.

"C'mon Jack. I'm calling you out..."

He slams the cards down on the table, showing a poor hand, and I smile as I show him mine. He pushes up from the table and goes to the fridge for more beer. I smile even wider and lean back into the chair, replaying my glory in my head. Teal'c looks even more confused now. God. It was a miracle I managed to survive that!

"You knew O'Neill was bluffing. How?"

"Oh...lets just say feminine instinct Teal'c"

Heh. That or stealing a look at his cards when he let them fall to the table while so intent or studying my womanly attributes. Hey! What do you mean that's cheating? Well so is doing what he just did to me! I know I did it first, but not to that extent! Okay okay! It was a mean, low down trick, but I take solace in the fact that he would have done exactly the same to me, and I'm sure he often has.

Game over, Teal'c gets up to attend to Daniel. I don't envy him the effort to haul his heavy carcass up the stairs to Jack's spare room.

I'm just basking in my own personal glory when I feel, rather than hear Jack come up behind me.

"Think you've won do you Carter?"

Oops. He called me Carter. That means he's pissed.

I stand up to walk away, gathering bottles for the bin as I go. I reach it, and dump them inside with a clatter, and turn. He's there. Right in front of me. His face inches from mine. So close, it's almost out of focus. His eyes are funny. They don't sparkle anymore. They're dark, and dangerous looking, his brows low, and his breathing ragged once more.

"Do you?" he asks again. Oh dear. I think I may have gone rather too far. I know that look, and God if it isn't one I've wanted to see a million times on his face, but not now. Not just because of the alcohol.

"Jack..." I start, but silences me by moving even closer. I can feel his breath on my face now. This has to stop. It's not right. And I'm not just talking about regulations. I'm been in this position before and It's always wrong to let the alcohol do the thinking, you always regret it later. Even if we both wanted it anyway, which I doubt he does, I'd much rather he made this decision sober.

"Jack. I have to clean up."

"No you don't. It's my house...I'll clean up."

He steps back a little though, and the tension is eased. I'm glad. I can hear again as my heart slows from hammering in my chest and ears. It frightens me that I never noticed it, that I was almost unaware of the effect his close body had on mine, so intent I was in staring into those eyes.

"I don't mind helping" I offer, and smile at him, to show him everything's okay. Maybe he takes it as assent, or maybe he wants to see how far he can push me. Maybe, maybe its some form of revenge for me winning, but he leans in, hands on the wall on either side of me, and I feel an internal tremble as his soft, soft lips brush ever so gently against mine. A mere sweep of hot breath.

"Sam I..."

I don't get the chance to push him away, and he doesn't get the chance to finish what he's saying, as we hear Teal'c descend the stairs, and jump apart like naughty children.

He comes into the room, and looks from me to Jack like some schoolmaster discovering some necking kids in a store cupboard. I fold my arms and Jack rubs the back of his neck, but Teal'c never saw anything, and his words are normal, and calming.

"I have put Daniel Jackson in your spare room O'Neill. Captain Carter. Our taxi has arrived. "

"Okay...thanks Teal'c. Well. Thanks for the evening Jack. I'm sure you'll win one day."

He looks at me with a half smile. We're both beginning to sober up now, and he seems a little unsure. Perhaps he's not quite sure what he was doing, or what I thought about it. Well. Next time I see him we'll be at work, and I doubt he'll ever mention this night again. He's not fond of remembering his defeats. I wonder if he views my reluctance to let myself go with him as a defeat. A rejection. Oh well. If the circumstances had been different...To hell with that. If he broached the subject sober I'd be tempted...sorely tempted by what I feel for him. But it doesn't matter now. Opportunity lost, even though it would have been terribly wrong of me, or him, to take it. With that last thought I retrieve my jacket from the couch, and join Teal'c at the door.

"Goodnight O'Neill. Take care of Daniel Jackson"

"I will Teal'c. See you at work. Bye Sam"

He smiles genuinely at me, obviously wondering if he'd upset me. I do my best to smile reassuringly, but it doesn't quite reach my eyes. I'm feeling restless, upset. I should have known our flirting would get us into an awkward situation like this one day. Oh well. I know he doesn't feel the same way about me that I feel about him. It was just one of those things...

"Goodnight sir. See you on base tomorrow"

We smile at each other, then Teal'c and I escape the situation in a taxi, and home. Oh well. Another interesting night for SG-1. We don't get any other kind, do we?



* * *



The taxi was long gone, but still Jack stood at the door. Thinking. What the hell had he just done? Eventually the cold air on his feet and through his shirt drove him inside and he flopped down on the couch.

Stupid fool, he told himself. What the hell was he playing at? Sam had just been teasing him, trying to get him to lose composure so she could win, trying to break his poker face. Which she'd done, and well, and beat the living daylights out of him at cards all night. And how had he responded? How had he reacted? By damn near ruining their friendship for good that's how! I can't believe I kissed her! Well, sort of kissed her! Regardless, it was a damn stupid thing to do, and not something you should do to a friend. And Sam was a friend, a damn good one, regardless how he felt about her otherwise. God, and she'd got him good for staring at her like that. She hadn't seemed to mind, but he knew that was just because she knew how far gone he was, how much he'd drank; and she'd certainly got him back for it!

He got up then, deciding to leave the cleaning up and head for bed. He could only hope Sam would forgive him. Hell, maybe she wouldn't even remember in the morning. He hoped so. That would be for the best. There were too many things at stake here. The team, their careers, hell that and the fact that I know that she doesn't feel the same way about me that I feel about her. It's just been one of those days.



*****

The End.