samandjack.net

Story Notes: Strangers - Details: Jack POV, Episode Tag

Copyright (c) 2003 Ruth


Strangers - Jack


Today was just weird. Something that should have turned out to be so special and right has faded away to nothing.

I said that I loved her, and that she loved me.

This should have brought us closer together, but instead it's driven us apart.

Two people who were once alone in their own world are now strangers in a crowded room.

I just want to reach out to her, to talk to her about how we feel, but she's closed away again. I thought I'd finally understood her, gained her full trust.

That's certainly the impression I got earlier today.

I watched her as she told Janet, Anise and Teal'c how she felt scared that I would leave her - and then relieved when I didn't. She said this was because she loved me, and cared for me even though the regs forbade it.

Once the test was over, I wanted to do nothing more than run over and pull her into my arms, but once I unbound her from the chair I could see a different look in her eyes.

"This doesn't have to go any further than this room."

I didn't mean it. I only said it because she looked so scared, so unsure.

Now I'm confused. Something that should have strengthened us, brought us closer together, has driven us apart.

I watched her leave the room with a sinking heart - I knew in that moment that it would never be 'just the two of us' again, not now. Not now that people knew.

It saddens me to think that a few hours ago we thought of each other as lovers - now we are merely strangers.

THE END