samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: kesc@email.com

SPOILERS: Children of the Gods, There But for the Grace of God, POV, 100 Days, Shades of Gray, New Ground, Maternal Instinct, Crystal Skull, Nemesis, season 4

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis, SJ Adult Archive

WARNINGS: AU character deaths.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: I got the idea for this from the 2000 While You Were Gone challenge. I don't remember who came up with it, but whoever you are, thanks! Oh, and there WILL be a sequel, so please don't kill me for ending it where I did.


Edora



"Colonel O'Neill," Sam Carter said over her radio, desperation coloring her voice. "Colonel O'Neill, come in."

"Major Carter, we must go now," Teal'c said. At that moment a huge meteor was bearing down on them as they stood by the activated Stargate. Teal'c grabbed Carter and threw the two of them through the Stargate. They landed in the SGC and the Stargate flickered and went out.

Colonel O'Neill was trapped on Edora.



*****************************************************************

One month later. . .



The klaxons sounded the alarm as an unauthorized traveler was attempting to use the Stargate.

"Sir," the gate technician said to General George Hammond, "I'm getting a signal." He paused. "It's SG-1's code."

General Hammond was taken aback. With the exception of Colonel O'Neill, who had been stranded on the planet Edora one month ago, SG-1 was on-world.

"Could it be Colonel O'Neill?" Hammond wondered aloud. "He could have found a way to uncover the Stargate. Open the iris." Hammond headed for the gate room, expecting to greet the returning Colonel O'Neill.

The iris opened and a figure walked through the event horizon, and then collapsed on the gate ramp, seemingly wounded by a staff weapon. It wasn't Colonel O'Neill. It was Samantha Carter. Only, anaother Samantha Carter was now standing in the control room.



************



Dr. Janet Fraiser grimaced at the sight of the wounds that the alternate Sam Carter bore. Surely, only strength of will had kept her going thus far. Janet had done all she could for her, but she was injured too badly. The most they could do now was keep her comfortable and pain free until the end. There was only one problem, however. This Samantha Carter was pregnant.

When she had regained consciousness, she had grabbed Janet's hand in a painful grip. "Is my baby all right?" Janet had been shocked. A pregnant Sam Carter was something she hadn't expected. Amazingly enough, the baby seemed to be fine, considering the wounds it's mother had sustained. Janet had reassured her, and she had calmed down and drifted into unconsciousness, which was probably for the best. Janet called Sam to the infirmary to let her know how her alternate was.

"She's doing as well as can be expected, Sam, which isn't too well," Janet told her. "Her injuries are too extensive for us to heal. And Sam," Janet gripped her by the arm, "she's pregnant."

"Oh, no," Sam said, biting her lip. "Does she know that she's in an alternate reality?"

"She does now. I told her," Janet said. "I thought it was only fair that she know."

"How did she get here? We destroyed our quantum mirror," Sam asked, puzzled.

"From the story she gave me, her reality's SG-1 gated to P3R-233 and were attacked by some Jaffa. Colonel O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c were killed, she was wounded. She was trying to escape when she found the quantum mirror, touched it and ended up here in our reality," Janet told her.

"Can I see her?" Sam asked.

"Sure." Janet walked to the door of Samantha's room and opened it. "Samantha? There's someone here to see you."

Sam walked into the room. There, lying in the bed, was a person who looked identical to herself, right down to the hairstyle, and in essence was herself. Sam walked to her bedside and took her hand. "Hi," she said. "I'm Major Samantha Carter."

"Major," came Samantha's weak voice. "I'm only a captain."

"Just give it time," Sam said, smiling. "You'll make it."

Samantha gave a faint smile. "I don't think so." She grimaced in pain, despite the drugs she'd been given. "Is Jack here, too?"

Sam felt a little uncomfortable. "Colonel O'Neill isn't here right now. He's stranded on a planet called Edora."

"Oh, Edora." Samantha shook her head. "My Jack didn't get stranded there, but some woman named Laira did put the moves on him." She smiled fondly. "He told her about us, and she left him alone."

"You and the Colonel?" Sam asked, afraid of where this was leading. "You were together?"

"Yes. After we returned from Hathor's planet," Samantha said.

"The baby's his," Sam stated.

"Yes." A look of intense sadness came over Samantha's face. "He was so thrilled about it. I had just told him when--" Her voice broke before she could finish. She swallowed hard and continued. "He's dead now, him and Daniel and Teal'c." The tears spilled over her cheeks. "Sam- they call you Sam, don't they?-" Sam nodded at this, and Samantha finished, "I don't want my baby to die with me. Please, don't let that happen." She gripped Sam's hand as tightly as she could.

"Samantha, I don't know how I can help you," Sam told her sadly.

"You could take my baby. Janet could transfer it to you," Samantha explained. "I mentioned it to her, but she said it would have to be your decision." Samantha gasped in pain. "Please, say you'll do it." She paused to catch her breath. "I don't want my baby to die."

Sam didn't know what to say. She wanted to help Samantha, but she was afraid. This wasn't something that she could or should make a hasty decision about, yet Samantha was dying and she had to decide quickly. Looking at Samantha's distraught face, she tried to put herself into Samantha's place. Right or wrong, she made her decision.

"All right, I'll do it." Sam took Samantha's hand into both of hers. "I'll take your baby."



************



The transfer was successfully done. Within a day, Sam was up and around. Samantha was another story. She survived for two days after her baby was transferred to Sam, but she died on the third day, Sam holding her hand. Sam was understandably upset. She returned to her lab and resumed work on the particle accelerator. This was where Janet found her.

"Sam, you're still at it?" she asked. "You really need to get some rest."

"I will Janet, I'm all right for now." Sam kept on inputting formulas into the computer. "I've got to get this done."

"Daniel says that the Tollan can have a ship there in a year." Janet watched Sam closely at this news.

"He shouldn't have to wait that long." Sam picked up the cup of juice Janet had brought her.

"You miss him." This was a statement, not a question.

"Yes."

"Is this a problem?" Janet couldn't help but ask.

"No," Sam replied, unconvincingly, unable to look Janet in the eye. "Of course not." Janet looked at her sympathetically.

"Okay." Janet patted her hand. "Get some rest."

"I will, I just want to finish this." Sam wouldn't look up from her computer screen.

Janet left her to it. Arguing with Sam would do no good, but she did know that Sam would stop when she became too fatigued. At least she was eating properly now, if only for the baby's sake. She sighed. This wasn't a good sign. With Sam pregnant with the baby of alternate reality's version of Jack O'Neill and Samantha Carter, she likely to become even more infatuated with their own Jack, and work even harder to get him back. 'Oh, Colonel O'Neill,' she thought, 'I hope you're worth it.'



************



Sam stood there miserably as Colonel O'Neill said goodbye to Laira. He had coldly brushed her aside as she'd tried to explain how they'd come to rescue him and gone to her. She put her hand over her abdomen where the baby was safely ensconced. Daniel had said that Jack hadn't expected to ever go home again, and that's why he was acting this way. Sam thought it was because he was in love with Laira. Turning her head, she heard him ask Laira to come to earth with him. The emotional pain was almost unbearable, especially after she'd worked so hard to rescue him when he didn't WANT to be rescued.

When they returned to the SGC, the welcoming committee was there to greet the returning Colonel. While everyone was distracted, Sam slipped out of the gate room and headed for the infirmary. She just wanted to get checked out and go home. The last few months had been the most stressful she'd ever known, and the pain she'd experienced today had just about done her in.

After being given a clean bill of health and a reassurance that the baby was fine, Sam headed for General Hammond's office, hoping that he was alone. Luckily, he was.

"General Hammond, sir, may I come in?" Sam asked, after she'd knocked on the general's open door.

"Yes, Major Carter. Have a seat." Sam entered his office and closed the door. He smiled. "How are you feeling? No ill effects from traveling through the stargate?"

"No, sir, I'm fine." She cleared her throat, dreading what she was about to say. "Sir, I'd appreciate it if you didn't inform Colonel O'Neill about my pregnancy, you know, how I got this way." She smiled thinly. "It might make things awkward."

Hammond looked at Sam with narrowed eyes. "Are you sure that's wise? He will have to be told eventually."

"Well, sir, technically, he had nothing to do with the conception of this child." Sam twisted her hands in front of her. "His alternate was the father of the baby, not him. So, really, he has no rights at all in this matter."

General Hammond nodded. "I understand your rationale, Major. However, I do believe that eventually you should inform Colonel O'Neill."

"I'll consider that sir. Thank you." Sam stood to leave, but the general stopped her.

"Major Carter, you did an excellent job with the particle accelerator. Why don't you go home and get some rest."

"Thank you, sir." She smiled, then turned and left the general's office.

One down, three more to go.



************



Sam hadn't been home more than a few minutes when there was a knock at the door. It was Daniel. He had been concerned about her and wanted to check up on her.

"Hi, Sam." He looked at her closely. "You feeling okay?"

"Sure, Daniel, just a little tired, which is normal considering." Sam tiredly settled onto the sofa. Daniel sat down opposite her in an armchair.

"Jack was looking for you," he said. "Janet told him that you'd probably gone on home. He wasn't too happy that you'd ducked out on him."

"I'm sorry Daniel, but I just couldn't deal with him right now." Sam ran her hands through her hair. "I'm just so tired. Everything that's happened the last few months is weighing on me now."

"Sam, when are you going to tell Jack about the baby?" Daniel asked, segueing into what she wanted to ask of him.

"I'm going to tell him I'm pregnant, but I'm not going to tell him how I got that way or who the father was." Sam leaned her head against the back of the sofa. "It's no business of his anyway."

"How can you say that Sam?" Daniel knew that she was hurt by his attitude when they'd gone to Edora to rescue him, but to say that the baby was none of Jack's business. . . "Sam, his alternate was the father of that baby."

"Exactly, Daniel, his alternate. Not him." Sam stood and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of milk. Daniel followed her.

"I think you're splitting hairs here, Sam," he told her. "He does have a right to know."

"I'll tell him eventually, just not right now. And I don't want you telling him anything either. I'm going to ask the same of Teal'c, too." Sam took a sip of her milk. She didn't like it, but it was good for the baby, so she drank it.

"Well, Sam, you know that we'll honor your wishes." Daniel went to her side and put his arms around her. "We're here for you."

"Thanks, Daniel," she said, hugging him back.

"You're welcome, Sam." He held for just a minute, then let her go. "Go on to bed, you look beat."

"I am," she answered with a smile, then she yawned. She walked with Daniel to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Okay, Sam." Daniel left and Sam closed the door, leaning back on it. She stroked the slight bump the baby made. In a little less than six months Samantha's baby would be born. She sighed, then turned out the lights and went to bed, falling asleep almost immediately.



************



When Sam came in to work the next morning, she had a message from Janet to go to the infirmary. When she showed up, Janet had some news for her.

"Sam, I'm restricting you to base duty only in two weeks. No more trips through the stargate after that." Janet knew that Sam wouldn't like this edict, but there was really no choice. "Your blood pressure was a little elevated after you came back from Edora yesterday. I don't know if it was from the trip through the 'gate or from the situation you were dealing with, but I'd rather err on the side of caution."

Sam nodded. She'd been expecting Janet to restrict her stargate travel, just not so soon. "Will you inform General Hammond?"

"Yes, I'll send him the necessary paperwork." Janet paused then continued. "I'll inform Colonel O'Neill, too."

"Okay." Sam looked really apprehensive. "Don't tell him anything other than that I'm pregnant, okay?"

"Sam, he's going to have to know sometime," Janet said, looking at her friend in concern. "He deserves to know."

"I'll tell him eventually, just not now." Sam didn't think she could face having to deal with this awkward situation right now. Jack wasn't happy to be home, and he definitely wouldn't be glad to know that Sam was carrying the child of their alternates.



************



Jack wasn't happy to hear that one of his team was being restricted from stargate travel, and when he found out the reason why, he was livid.

"She's pregnant?" He was stunned and angry. "Well, when the cat's away the mouse will play, won't she? So, when's it due?"

Janet almost cringed from the anger and bitterness in his voice. Even if Sam had been having an affair and gotten pregnant, he had no business judging her from what she had learned about his stay on Edora. She almost told him the truth, then she remembered her promise to Sam. So, she just answered his question.

"In about six months," Janet told him. "The baby's due at the end of June."

Jack mentally counted backwards. She must have gotten pregnant soon after he was stranded. As in immediately afterward, or else she was pregnant when they were on Edora. Hell, he hadn't even known she was seeing anyone.

"Well, we have a mission to Tollana coming up next week, she'll still be able to go, won't she?" he asked in that tone of voice that proclaimed his irritation.

"Yes, sir, she will," Janet answered, though why he was so concerned about Sam going on a diplomatic mission was beyond her.

"Good." Jack nodded. "Bye, doctor." Jack left and went in search of Sam. He found her in the lab with Daniel. They were arguing about something.

". . .I told you my reasons, Daniel, and that's that!" Sam was saying, then she cut off what she was going to say next when she saw him. "Colonel O'Neill, hello." She looked and felt distinctly uncomfortable when she saw him staring at her abdomen. Janet had told him.

"Carter, I just had a talk with Dr. Fraiser." He looked pointedly at Daniel, then looked back at Sam. "Could we talk in private?"

Sam cast a pleading look at Daniel, who shrugged his shoulders. She sighed, and rose from the chair she'd been sitting on. "Yes, sir. Bye, Daniel."

"Yes, goodbye, Daniel." Jack turned and stalked out of the lab.

"Bye, Sam, Jack." Daniel watched as Sam followed Jack out of the room. He didn't envy her.



************



Sam followed Jack back to his small office, and when they went inside, he shut the door. "We don't need to be disturbed," he said.

"Yes, sir," she answered.

Jack sat down in his chair and looked at her. There was a little place inside of him that was hurting at the thought that Sam was going to have some man's child, but he pushed that hurt way down deep, so deep that he hoped it might never be found again.

"So, Carter," he said. "Who's the father?"

"That doesn't matter, sir, the man is dead," Sam told him. "So it really doesn't matter who fathered my baby, now does it?" She looked at him steadily, one eyebrow raised at the question.

"Dead?" To say Jack was shocked would have been an understatement. "As in deceased?"

"Yes, sir." Sam just sat there looking at him impassively.

"You don't seem too upset that the father of your baby is dead, major." Jack sat there looking back at her through narrowed eyes. Her eyes eventually dropped from his.

"I'm past that now, sir. I'm focused on having a healthy child." Sam stared down at her hands. "May I go now, sir?"

"Sure, go ahead." He watched as Sam stood and left his office. There was something strange about this whole situation, something that no one was telling him. Well, he'd find out eventually. If Daniel knew, he'd end up spilling the beans, he always did. Jack turned his mind away from this problem for now. He had a bigger problem coming up soon, and he needed to focus on that. Sighing, he turned to the project that would occupy him the next few weeks.



***********



The mission to Tollana didn't quite go as planned. The Tollan flatly refused to participate in an exchange of technologies, and O'Neill had insulted them and stormed out of the meeting. On the way out he stole a piece of the Tollan's technology, the weapons neutralizer. General Hammond wasn't too pleased about that, and had O'Neill confined to the infirmary, where Dr. Fraiser checked him out and proclaimed him perfectly normal. The Tollan had threatened to cut off diplomatic ties with earth until General Hammond had promised them that O'Neill would be punished for it. He was forced to resign, and he decided that he wanted to return to Edora to live out the rest of his life with Laira. That, coupled with a comment he'd made to Sam when she'd asked him if there was anything she could do, hurt her unbearably.

"I haven't acted like my self since I met YOU. Now I'm acting like myself." Then he had turned and left, escorted by Teal'c.

He had also said some hurtful things to Daniel, claiming that their friendship had no real basis. Now, it seemed it was all a ruse to catch a mole who'd been passing along information to the thieves who were stealing their allies technology and then retrieving those stolen items. And the mole just happened to be Colonel Robert Makepeace, the newly assigned leader of SG-1. It seemed that he'd been under suspicion the whole time.

The relationship between O'Neill and his team was stretched almost to the breaking point. Sam was glad that she wasn't going on missions right now. She kept as far away from Jack O'Neill as she could, which was pretty far.

Jack wanted to mend fences with his team, but wasn't sure how to go about it. He'd invited Daniel and Teal'c, along with Feretti, over to his house for a night of poker and beer. He and Daniel had both gotten pretty wasted, and had a long, emotional talk. A lot of things that were bothering both of them were brought out and discussed, and a lot of hard feelings were dissipated. He also learned something very interesting about Sam from a drunken Daniel Jackson.



************



Sam had just gotten home from work and changed into a comfy pair of old sweats and a loose-fitting tee shirt. She really needed to go out and buy some new clothes, almost everything she owned was now too tight. It was an ordeal she dreaded. She'd just walked into the kitchen to investigate the contents of her refrigerator when her doorbell rang.

"Now who could that be?" she asked herself as she walked to the door. Peering through the peephole she saw someone that she hadn't expected to see. Colonel O'Neill.

She quickly opened the door. "Sir, is something wrong?" she asked. Sam couldn't imagine why he would be coming to see her.

"Can I come in, Sam?" Jack asked, a serious expression on his face.

"Of course, come in." She opened the door wider and stood back for him to enter. "Has something happened?"

He turned and looked her up and down, his gaze finally coming to rest on her belly. Sam was now four and a half months pregnant and it was showing clearly. She shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

"When were you going to tell me?" If Daniel hadn't blabbed while he was drunk, Jack probably would never have known about the parentage of the baby Sam carried. "Didn't you think I had right to know?"

Sam sighed and closed her eyes. He knew. "I was going to tell you, sir, but the time was never right."

"Really, major?" His tone was extremely sarcastic. "And just when is the right time to tell your commanding officer that the child you're carrying was fathered by his alternate self from another reality?" Man, that really sounded weird, he thought.

"Sir, I really don't feel--" she started to say, but he cut her off abruptly.

"I'm not really worried about how you feel right now. Why didn't you tell me?"

Sam was starting to get angry. "I didn't tell you because I didn't think you really wanted to know. When we went to rescue you on Edora, I was going to tell you then. But you weren't happy about coming home, in fact you were angry about it, and I expected you to decide that you wanted to go back there. When you did the undercover operation and you said you wanted to go back, I felt that my expectations were confirmed." She crossed her arms in front of herself. "Besides, YOU aren't the father of this child, your alternate was."

He just stood there looking at her, amazed at what she'd said. "You think I didn't want to come home?"

"Well, what else was I supposed to think." Sam decided to lay it all on the table. "You told Laira that you weren't happy about coming home, and you asked her to come with you." She shrugged. "I figured it was only a matter of time before you were gone."

Jack just stood there staring at her. He hadn't known that she'd heard what he'd said to Laira. He'd been so confused then. He'd been happy to see his friends, but their arrival meant another upheaval in his life, just when he'd begun to build a new one on Edora. When he'd asked Laira to come with him, he'd known that she'd say no, but he'd felt obligated to ask her after all she'd done for him, and he'd really cared about her. Since he'd been back he'd heard everything Sam had done to get him home. He'd never said anything to her about it, never thanked her for her hard work. He'd just taken it for granted.

"Sam, I'm not going anywhere." He stared into her eyes. "I'm stayin'. And I'm not gonna let you shut me out. This baby is just as much a part of me as it is of you."

"And just what do you mean by that?" she questioned, still bristling with anger and annoyance.

"I mean," he explained, "that the mother of this baby was your alternate just like the father was my alternate. You shouldn't have to bear the responsibility alone." He shoved his hands into his pockets and turned away. "It's hard enough to be a parent when there are two people involved."

Sam looked at his slumped shoulders. He was remembering his son Charlie who had died after accidentally shooting himself with Jack's own gun. Her heart went out to him, but she was still wary of trusting him. It would be nice to be able to rely on someone, but she was unsure of Jack O'Neill.

"I don't know, sir," she said, finally. "I don't know if I can trust you." It was hard to believe she was saying that, after all they'd been through, but it was true. He'd changed.

"Just give me a chance, I won't let you down." She looked at him doubtfully when he said this.

"Things have changed. I don't really know you any more," she told him. "I don't know if you're the person you used to be."

"I haven't changed, Sam, not really. Situations and circumstances maybe different, but I'm the same person I used to be." He reached over and grabbed her hand, gripping it firmly. "Give me a chance?"

She looked at him, expressions of doubt marring her beautiful face. "If you let me or this baby down, I'll shut you out completely."

"Fair enough." He released her hand. "Have you had dinner yet? We could go out and get some."

"I'm not exactly dressed for going out," she said, indicating her sweats and tee shirt.

Jack looked at her as if seeing her for the first time. "Oh. Well, go change. It won't take you long will it?"

Sam looked at him in exasperation, and he grinned that patented, charming Jack O'Neill grin. She gave up. "Okay. I'll be ready in ten minutes." It was actually closer to fifteen minutes. When she came out of her room, she was wearing a loose-fitting denim jumper with a turtleneck sweater. Actually, it was one of the few things she could still wear. She'd slid her feet into comfortable flat-heeled shoes, combed her hair, and put on a little lipstick. Jack looked up at her when she walked into the room.

"Wow!" he said, winking at her. "You clean up nice."

She rolled her eyes then walked to the closet and took out her coat. "C'mon, you promised me dinner, and I'm starving." He laughed, and escorted her to his car.



************



Much to Sam's surprise, she enjoyed dinner very much. Jack set out to be his most charming, and he succeeded. He even had her laughing at his jokes, something which she hadn't done in a long time. They talked for a while, but when Sam started yawning, Jack declared that it was time for her to go home to bed.

Jack walked her to the door of her apartment. She was about to go in, when he put his hand on her arm.

"Sam," he said, "thanks." He smiled slightly.

"Don't thank me yet. You're on probation," Sam told him.

"Then thanks for giving me a chance. I won't let you down," he promised solemnly. Then he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, pushed her gently through the door, closed it and left.

"I hope you don't," she sighed, and then went to bed.



************



The first time Sam felt the baby kick was in the middle of a mission briefing. She was going over the MALP findings and stopped in mid-sentence, clutching her belly and gasping.

Jack jumped up and rushed to her side. "Sam, what's wrong?" She looked up at him with wide eyes and grabbed his hand, pressing it to her side.

"The baby kicked!" she said in amazement. Jack held his hand to her side, and he wasn't disappointed. Right under his hand he felt a strong kick.

"Wow, she's strong," he said, smiling down at her. She smiled back at him, and General Hammond noted how they looked at each other. He knew that they'd become closer over the last few months, and he realized that Jack considered the child his. It was, after all, the child of his alternate reality self. Personally, he had no problem with their growing closeness, but the regulations did forbid a relationship between a commanding officer and one of his subordinates. However, the writers of said regulations didn't foresee this situation. The President had been informed about the embryo transfer when it had been done, and he had also been informed of the parentage of the child. Hammond decided to give the President another call. Maybe a little reminder about the importance of a child having two parents could clear up some obstacles.



***********



A now eight months pregnant Sam walked down the hallway of level 26 toward Daniel's lab. He'd been so quiet since he, Teal'c and the Colonel had returned from Kheb. They'd gone there, along with Bra'tac, looking for Sha're's son, the Harsesis child. They had found the child, but had left him in the care of aliens who were better able to protect him. Sam was really worried about Daniel. From what Jack had told her, these aliens were really powerful, much more powerful than the goa'uld, so his decision to let them keep the little boy had been the wise one.

When she arrived at the lab, Nyan, Daniel's new assistant told her he had gone down to the archive to do some research. Nyan was a refugee from P2X-416, a planet embroiled in a war between two factions with diametrically opposing ideological differences. He had rescued Jack and Daniel when they'd been captured by one faction and had returned with them. He was a good kid, as Jack said, and had the same curiosity that Daniel had, making them a good working team. Sam thanked him for his help and headed to the archive to see Daniel.

"Daniel?" Sam tapped lightly on the door. "Can I come in?"

He looked up and smiled. "Sure, Sam, come on in," he invited, standing to remove some books from the other chair so she could sit down. "Can I do something for you?"

"No, I just wanted to see you." Sam eased herself down into the chair. "Wow, that's getting harder and harder to do," she said with a smile. "No, I don't need anything. I just wanted to talk to you. I've hardly seen you since you came back from Kheb."

"Yeah, well. . ." Daniel sighed. "You know what happened, I'm sure Jack filled you in."

"Yes, he did," she said, and she reached over and took his hand. "How are you doing?"

"Okay, I guess." He gave her a wry smile. "I kept my promise to Sha're, that's what's important."

"But the way you kept it hurts, doesn't it?" Sam asked softly, squeezing his hand.

"Yeah, I guess it does." Daniel pulled his hand from hers and stood, walking over to a table of Egyptian artifacts. "I kind of saw myself raising him, teaching him about his mother, you know?"

"I understand, Daniel, probably more now than I would have before." Sam stroked her belly. "Do you feel that it was for the best?"

"Yes, it was. There's no way I could protect him the way she can, and I've got the feeling I'll still get that chance to teach him about Sha're." Daniel turned to Sam and gave her a real smile.

"Yes, you will." Sam smile back at him, feeling better about her friend. "Sometimes the right thing isn't the easiest or most convenient thing to do."

"You should know, Sam." He returned to his seat and took her hand. "It was a brave decision you made to give this baby life, you know. I've never asked you, why did you do it?"

"I . . . I guess I just put myself in her place, and it was the right thing, the only thing to do." Sam shrugged. "There was nothing I could do for Samantha, but I could save her baby."

"So, how are you getting along?" He asked, indicating her expanding stomach. "You don't look very comfortable."

"I'm NOT very comfortable," she said with a laugh. "Thankfully, Janet says that it won't be too terribly much longer."

"That's good. How are things going with you and Jack? You and he have been spending a lot of time together lately," Daniel commented with a smile. "Anything your friends should know about?"

"He's been there for me, Daniel, whenever I've needed support, both moral and physical." Sam smiled at the thought. "At first I was a little embarrassed and awkward, but that's passed." There was more, but Sam couldn't give voice to it, the feelings for Jack that kept seeping to the surface when she least expected them. "I guess you could say that I'm happy." At that moment, a knock sounded at the door, and Jack stuck his head in the door.

"Hey, Sam, here you are!" He walked into the room and went to her side. "I was beginning to think I wasn't going to find you." Jack looked over at Daniel. "Danny-boy, you still comin' over tonight, right? The cookout, remember?"

"Yes, Jack, I remember. I wouldn't miss it," Daniel answered with a laugh. "Can I bring anything?"

"Yeah, stop by Janet's and pick her up on the way, willya? That way she won't have an excuse not to show up," Jack told him. "And, speaking of the good doctor, she said that you were supposed to be in the infirmary for a check up almost twenty minutes ago." He held out his hands to help her up. She took them and let him do most of the work. "Let's go, mom. See you later, Daniel."

Sam and Jack slowly made their way over to the infirmary for her check up. As she had gotten closer to her due date, Janet wanted to see her a couple of times a week, just to make sure everything was going well. They had found out a couple of months ago that the baby was a girl, and Sam had gotten some baby books to try to decide on a name. She and Jack had a lot of fun looking through them and coming up with some weird combinations of names. They had finally decided that they both liked the name "Elizabeth," so that's what they were going to name her. Jack had already started calling the baby "Lizzie," which amused Sam.

"You talking to Daniel about the kid?" Jack asked, knowing that Sam would understand which kid he was referring to.

"Yes," she answered. "He's still torn about the choice he made, even though he knows it was the best one he could have made."

"Yeah, I think old Apophis is gonna think long and hard before he makes a move on those folks." They arrived at the infirmary and went directly to the examination room. The nurse told them that Janet would be right there, then she left. Janet came in a few minutes later.

"Well, Sam, let's check this little one out." Janet shooed Jack out of the room, then proceeded with the exam. When it was over she called Jack back in and talked to both of them. "Sam, things really look good. It looks like you'll be having this little one in about two or three weeks, if not sooner."

"Really?" Sam looked a little frightened, Jack thought. "That soon?" He reached over and took her hand in his.

"Hey, Sam, that's a good thing. You'll be able to see your feet again," he quipped, "and you'll be able to get out of a chair without a crane." She gave a little giggle of laughter.

"Hey, it's not that bad!" Sam reached her hand out to Jack. "Help me down, sir." She smiled sweetly, and he smiled right back. Janet looked speculatively between the two of them. It had reached a point where you rarely saw one of them without the other. The fact that, in a way, this was *their* baby was binding them together as surely as anything could.

"Sam, you might want to think about those Lamaze classes," Janet said. "They start Monday night at 1900. They're being held at the birthing center at the Academy Hospital."

"That might be a good idea, Sam," Jack chimed in. "I'll be your coach," he offered.

"You, sir?" she asked, unable to picture him as a Lamaze coach, much less being present at a birth.

"Why not?" he asked. "I've done it before."

That was right, he had. "If you're sure . . .?" she asked hesitantly, looking into his eyes.

"I'm sure, major." He reassured her as they left the infirmary. "I'm very sure." He took her arm and escorted her to her lab.



************



Everyone gathered at Jack's house that evening for the cookout. He wore a really dopey looking chef's hat that had "The Cook" emblazoned on it, and an apron with a big pair of red lip-sticked lips on it that said, "Kiss the cook." Sam laughed so hard when she saw him that she was afraid she was going to go into labor early. The satisfied look on Jack's face told everyone that his get-up had the effect he'd been going for. Knowing looks passed between Janet and Daniel. Both of their friends had it bad and didn't even realize it.

After dinner, they all sat around telling stories about their school days, each one trying to outdo the other. This continued until Sam started yawning, which had Jack shooing everyone home. He then put her in his car and took her home. She fell asleep on the way there, and when they arrived at her apartment, he just sat there and looked at her for a few minutes. Pregnancy agreed with some women, and Sam was one of them. If it was possible, she was even more beautiful than before. His mind turned once again to a topic he had thought about before. What if this were really their child? A child the two of them had made, not their alternates. Jack sighed at the thought, then reached out to wake her up.

"Sam," he said softly, so as not to startle her, gently touching her cheek, "we're here." Sam opened her eyes and blinked for a moment.

"I fell asleep," she stated, surprised. "I'm doing that a lot."

"Well, it happens to pregnant women," Jack said, smiling at her softly. "C'mon, let's get you into your apartment and to bed." Jack got out and went around the car to open the door for her. He helped her out and steadied her when she staggered a little.

"I guess I'm still a little groggy," she said, hanging onto his arm. "I'm sorry, sir."

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here for you to lean on." Jack guided her up the steps to her apartment and unlocked the door, and escorted her in. "You go on to bed, Sam, I'll lock everything up."

"Okay," she said, yawning again. "Thank you, sir." Sam shuffled off in the direction of her bedroom and went inside, closing the door behind her. Jack moved around the apartment, checking windows, to make sure that they were locked. Then he went to the door of Sam's room.

"Sam," he said softly, "I'm leaving now." When he received no answer, he opened the door. She was lying in the middle of her bed on her side, the sheet pulled up to her chin. She'd been so tired, she hadn't turned out the light. Jack walked to the side of the bed and reached down to turn off the bedside lamp, plunging the room into darkness. He leaned over and kissed her softly on the cheek. "Night, Sam." He quietly left the apartment, locking the door behind him.



************



The Lamaze classes were interesting. Sam and Jack were the oldest people there, most of the couples being young airmen and their equally young wives. "Geez, Sam," he told her afterward, "I feel like somebody's grandpa in there." He kept going with her however, and soon he was known as the class cut-up, keeping everyone laughing through most of the class.

He took the class seriously, though, and he was a big help to Sam. His having been through it before helped him to anticipate her needs, from an extra pillow to socks for cold feet. Sam was very glad that Jack would be in the delivery room to help her.



*************



Sam, Jack, Teal'c, and Daniel were studying the MALP transmissions from P7X-377 when Daniel noticed something.

"Can you move in closer?" he asked, wanting to see what was on the pedestal in the middle of the huge pyramid.

It was impossible to move the MALP closer, but Sam zoomed in on the pedestal. The object was a skull made of crystal.



************



It was a relief when Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c returned from the giant pyramid on P7X-377. Daniel's grandfather, Nicholas Ballard, who had discovered a crystal skull in Belize identical to the one they had found on the planet, and had helped them discover what had happened to Daniel when he had disappeared after staring into the eyes of the skull, had remained behind with the giant aliens. Once again, Daniel had lost someone he cared about, but this time he was more at peace with it.

SG-1 was on downtime and spending it at Jack's house. The Stanley Cup playoffs were on, and he had invited the team, including Sam and Janet, over for beer, pizza, and hockey. Things were going well until Sam returned from the kitchen where she'd gone to get a glass of milk.

"Uh, guys, Janet," Sam said uncertainly in a pain-blurred voice, "I think my water just broke."

Janet jumped up from her perch on the arm of Daniel's chair. "Are you sure, Sam?" she asked, her voice becoming professional. "Are you feeling any contractions?"

"Yes, I think so," Sam answered. Jack had jumped up and run to Sam's side when she had announced that her water had broken.

"You remember what you learned in Lamaze class, don't you?" he asked, trying to keep his voice calm. It wouldn't do for Sam to hear the anxiety he was feeling in his voice. At her nod, he smiled reassuringly. "Then, everything's gonna be fine."

"Yes, it is," Janet said. "Colonel O'Neill, I think we should get Sam to the hospital." Janet had already arranged with the Air Force Academy Hospital for Sam's delivery to be there.

"Sure thing, Janet." Jack picked Sam up in his arms and headed out the door, Janet following along behind and Sam protesting that she could walk to the car.

"My bag!" Sam exclaimed. "It's in my apartment beside my bedroom door."

Daniel and Teal'c, who had followed them out to Jack's car, assured Sam that they would stop by her apartment on the way to the hospital and pick it up for her. Then Jack sped off with Sam and Janet to the hospital.

While en route to the hospital, Janet called and let them know that they were on their way. An orderly with a wheelchair was waiting for them at the emergency entrance to the hospital. Sam climbed out of the car under her own steam, and sat down in the chair. She was immediately wheeled to the birthing room and placed on the birthing bed.

Jack noticed a television in the birthing room. "Hey, Sam, do you mind if I watch the rest of the hockey game?"

"No, sir, go ahead," she answered in between deep breaths (her contractions were rapidly getting closer together). "Knock yourself out."

Janet came in and saw Jack engrossed in the hockey game and Sam grimacing and breathing deep breaths. "How's it going?"

"The score is still tied," Jack answered and Janet gave him the 'look.' "Oh," he said sheepishly. "The contractions are about three minutes apart."

Janet moved down to the end of the birthing bed and examined Sam. "Sam, you're dilating nicely. We should have a baby before too long." Sam just nodded, she was too busy breathing to answer.



************



The labor progressed normally, if a little slowly to Sam's way of thinking. She was ready for this to be over NOW! It hurt a lot! Jack was right there beside her, if a little distracted by the hockey game which had gone into it's second overtime. He watched the game between contractions, which were coming faster and faster. Finally, New Jersey scored the winning goal, at about the same time Sam told him to get Janet because she felt like she had to push really bad.

"Okay, Sam," he said, rushing to the door to find Janet. "Janet, she says she's got to push really bad. I think it might be time."

Janet came quickly into the room and examined Sam. "Good, the baby's head is crowning." She sat down on the stool provided. "Okay, Sam, it's showtime. On the next contraction, push as hard as you can."

Sam obliged her, screaming as she pushed. The baby's head and shoulders slipped through, then one more push had the baby sliding into Janet's hands.

"Sam, you have a daughter." Janet placed the baby on Sam's stomach.

"She's beautiful," Sam's said, touching her daughter's little hands and feet. She looked up at Jack who was standing beside her bed. "She's perfect."

"She is perfect," he said, reaching down to caress the baby's cheek. He felt the sting of tears behind his eyes.

"Colonel, would you like to cut the cord?" Janet asked, smiling at him and offering him the scissors.

"Yes, thanks Janet." Jack did the honors, then the nurse took the baby to weigh and measure her, and take her footprint. Janet delivered the afterbirth, then the now clean and blanket-wrapped baby was brought back.

"Colonel O'Neill, would you like to hold her?" the nurse asked. Jack reached out and carefully took little Elizabeth into his arms. He pulled the pink blanket back slightly from her face which was screwed up in reaction to the lights in the room. She looked just like Sam when she was thinking about a problem. He chuckled at the thought, then leaned down and kissed the baby's forehead.

"What's funny?" Sam asked, sitting up slightly.

"She looks like you," he answered.

"And that's funny?" she said, in mock anger. "Well!"

"No, that's not what's funny." Jack placed the baby into her arms. "She's beautiful, Sam." He looked at Sam holding Lizzie in her arms and felt something stir inside himself. He vowed to take care of them both.



************



"Sam, she's absolutely gorgeous," Daniel said, looking down into Lizzie's little face. Lizzie peered right back at him.

"Thanks, Daniel. I wish I could take credit for that, but I really didn't have anything to do with it." Sam walked carefully over to Daniel who was sitting in a chair holding the baby.

"Well, Sam, in a way you can," Daniel pointed out. "Genetically, she's yours and Jack's. Speaking of whom, where IS Jack?" he questioned.

"He said he had to go by his house, some repair person or something is coming," Sam answered. "Where's Teal'c?"

"I am here, Major Carter." Teal'c entered the room carrying a huge bouquet of flowers and balloons, as well as a pink teddy bear.

"Teal'c, you shouldn't have," she said, her eyes widening. "Between you guys, the colonel, and the general, this place looks like a florist shop."

"Well, Sam, it's not everyday a member of the team has a baby." Daniel gazed down at Lizzie, who had finally dozed off. He stood and placed her in the isolette that stood by Sam's bed. As if on cue, the nurse came in to take the baby back to the nursery.

Well, she's right on schedule," the nurse said. She started wheeling the isolette out of the room. "We'll be back in two hours, mom." And with that, they were gone.

"So, how DOES it feel to be a mom now, Sam?" Daniel asked.

Sam stopped to think for a moment, then answered with a smile. "It feels wonderful."



************



Janet kept Sam and Lizzie in the hospital an extra day to make sure there were no problems. She'd had a DNA test done, and the preliminary results showed that Lizzie was a perfectly normal baby girl. They also showed that she was the child of Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill.

Jack came to pick Sam and Lizzie up and take them home. When they arrived at Sam's apartment there was a surprise waiting for them. Sam carried the baby into the apartment followed by Jack who was carrying her suitcase.

"Uh, Sam," he said, "I'd like to show you something." He put down the suitcase and led the way to the small room she'd been using as an office. He opened the door and gestured for her to go inside.

"Oh, my!" To say she was surprised would have been an understatement. "It's beautiful!" Jack had removed the computer and files from the room, painted it pink with a Noah's ark border and set up a beautiful white crib and changing table with a comforter and bumper pad that matched the border.

"So, you like it?" he asked a little uncertainly.

She turned and looked at him, clutching Lizzie to her. "I love it!" Tears came to her eyes, and she had to look away. "Thank you," she whispered.

"You're welcome." Jack came over and gently took Lizzie out of her arms and put her into her crib, covering her with a light blanket. Then he took Sam by the arm and led her into her bedroom. "Go ahead and lie down, I know you're still a little tired."

"Yes, I am, thank you, sir," she said, "for everything." She smiled sweetly at him, and kissed him softly on the cheek.

"You're very welcome," he answered, looking a little flustered. "Well . . . I'll bring you some lunch, okay?"

"Okay."

He left her and she lay down on the bed, intending to just rest for a few minutes, but her eyes closed and when Jack came in to tell her lunch was ready, she was fast asleep. He looked at her and decided to just let her sleep as long as she could.



**********



Sam had just put Lizzie down for a nap when the doorbell rang. She hurried to the door and opened it. It was Jack. He'd been gone for two days on a mission and must have just gotten back. She was beginning to consider him a permanent fixture in their lives. Every day that he could be there, he was, talking to her, helping with Lizzie. She wondered how long it would last, when would the bubble burst, but then she would feel bad about having those thoughts. Jack had done nothing to warrant those unkind thoughts.

"Hi, Sam," he said cheerily, coming in. "How's Lizzie?" Jack was dressed casually in khakis and a white polo shirt. He'd obviously been home before he'd come by.

"Hello, sir," she answered. "She's great. I just put her down for her nap." Sam wished she'd worn something a little nicer today than jeans and a tee shirt. Oh, well, she did have a baby to take care of.

He looked a little disappointed. "Oh, I was hoping to see her."

"Well, you can stay for dinner, she should be awake by then," Sam offered with a smile.

"Thanks, Sam." Jack gestured toward Lizzie's door. "Can I look in on her?"

"Sure." Sam led the way to the room, and opened the door softly. They walked in and stood by the crib, looking down at the sleeping baby. Jack reached down and touched a little hand, stroking the soft baby skin with his forefinger. He and Sam looked at each other and smiled, sharing a moment, then they left the baby to her nap.

"Wow, she's gotten so big in the last two days," he commented once they had reentered the living room. "I'd forgotten how fast they grow."

"I'd never realized how fast they DO grow." Sam gestured to the sofa. "Would you like to sit down, sir?"

"Yeah, thanks Sam." He sat down on the sofa and patted the cushion beside him. "C'mon, sit beside me here and let's talk." Sam did so, curious as to what he wanted to talk to her about. "Sam, have you made a decision about work yet?"

Sam had been half expecting this question sooner or later. "Well, sir, I'd really like to come back to SG-1. I've really missed my work, going on missions and all."

Jack smiled broadly. "I was hoping you'd say that, Sam. I was afraid that you'd decide on a transfer to the lab, or something. We'll be glad to have you back on the team. We've really missed you."

She blushed and looked down. "Thank you, sir. I appreciate that." She cleared her throat. "Can I get you something to drink? Some lemonade or soda? I'm afraid I don't have anything stronger."

"Lemonade is fine, thanks." He followed her into the kitchen and watched her as she got the lemonade out of the refrigerator and a glass out of the cupboard. It had only been a month since the baby had been born, but she'd quickly gotten her figure back, something which was not lost on Jack. She looked even more beautiful than before. "Thanks," he said when she gave him the glass.

"You're welcome," she answered with a smile. "I was going to have a sandwich for dinner tonight. It's not worth cooking for one, you know."

Jack chuckled. "Yeah, tell me about it." He paused, then said, "Why don't we go out? You and me and the baby. It'd be fun."

"Well . . ." she hedged.

"Sure, why not? She's a good baby, hardly cries at all," he said proudly. "Besides, she needs to get used to being around other people."

"I don't know, sir . . ." Sam said hesitantly.

"C'mon, Sam." He looked at her with those brown puppy dog eyes and she was a goner.

"Okay," she relented, then looked down at her clothes. "I need to change, and it'll probably be another hour before Lizzie wakes up from her nap."

"That's perfect. You go on and get a shower, and if she wakes up before you're ready, I'll take care of her." He shooed her into her bedroom. "Go on, now. Leave everything to me."

Sam showered and then looked into her closet to find something to wear. Luckily, she'd lost most of the weight she'd gained during her pregnancy, so she could wear almost everything in her closet. She pulled out a dress that she hadn't worn in almost a year. It was a light blue shirtwaisted dress with a straight skirt. She did her hair and makeup and decided that she looked passable. Sam came out and started to go to the living room to tell Jack she was ready, when she heard him in Lizzie's room.

"Did you know that your mom is probably one of the smartest people in the world?" Jack said as he changed Lizzie's diaper. "You're gonna be real smart too, I can tell already. You already understand everything I'm saying to you, don't you?" Lizzie looked up at him with her big blue eyes and watched every move he made. He finished the diaper and buttoned up her pink onesie. "Now there's Daddy's beautiful baby girl!" He lifted her into his arms and held her close, kissing her on the forehead.

Sam's eyes filled with tears and she blinked them back. She'd known that Jack was attached to the baby, but she hadn't realized that he thought of himself as her father. 'Well, why shouldn't he?' she told herself. 'He's as much her father as you are her mother.' Genetically, according to the DNA tests that Janet had run, he WAS her father. She tapped on the door and Jack turned to look at her.

"Hey, Sam, you look great!" he said, then he looked down at Lizzie and said, "Kid, if you're half as gorgeous as your mom when you grow up, we'll be beatin' the guys off with a stick."

Sam blushed at his comment. "How long has she been awake?"

"She woke up right after you got into the shower, so I gave her one of the bottles in the refrigerator." Sam expressed breast milk and put it in bottles for Lizzie so that Jack or one of her other friends could feed her. The pediatrician had told her that it was also a good idea to do that if she planned to go back to work fairly soon so that Lizzie would get used to a bottle. They'd had no problems with it so far.

"Good." She walked over and picked up Lizzie's diaper bag and checked it to make sure she had everything she needed. "Looks like everything is here. I'll get another bottle just in case." Sam went to the kitchen and got another bottle of milk, putting it in the thermal bottle carrier. Jack walked into the kitchen behind her carrying the baby. She closed the refrigerator door and turned to see Jack standing in the doorway holding Lizzie. He looked so natural standing there holding the tiny baby so tenderly. Sam felt a pain in the region of her heart, then she shook it off. It didn't pay to wish for things that couldn't ever happen. "I guess we're all ready."

"Then let's go." Jack went into the living room and buckled Lizzie into her carseat/carrier. Sam got her purse and the three of them went down to the parking lot. Sam looked around for Jack's red Corvette, but she didn't see it. Wondering how Jack had gotten there, Sam just followed him and didn't say anything. When he stopped beside a four door Buick, her mouth dropped open.

"Sir, whose car is this?" Sam asked, curiosity eating her up.

"Mine. Just picked it up today." Jack unlocked the doors and opened the back passenger side door to buckle Lizzie's carseat in securely.

"What happened to your Corvette?" she asked. He had loved that car. It had been babied and pampered as if it were alive.

"I traded it." Jack held the front door open for Sam. "Sam?" Pulling herself out of her shock, she climbed into the front seat and fastened her seatbelt. Jack had traded in his precious Corvette to buy what was clearly a family-type car! He closed her door and strode around the car to get behind the wheel.

"Why did you trade your Corvette?" Sam asked.

"This one's safer and has more room for . . .stuff." He started the car and headed out of the parking lot. Sam hid her smile behind her hand and turned to look out of the window.

"It's a nice car," was all she said in response to that.



************



The restaurant Jack took them to was a nice little Italian restaurant and, judging from the station wagons and minivans in the parking lot, it welcomed families. The owner greeted him like an old friend and showed them to a booth situated in an alcove. Jack placed Lizzie's carrier on the seat and sat down beside her, leaving Sam to take the other side of the booth. The owner's wife, Maria, came over with their menus, and exclaimed over the beauty of the baby. Lizzie just stared around, looking at everything.

Sam liked the homey feel of the restaurant. It was nice to go out after having been cooped up in her apartment for so long, but she hated to go out to eat by herself, and she just couldn't see herself hauling Lizzie out to a restaurant all alone. Besides, she enjoyed being with the Colonel and he seemed to enjoy being with her. They ordered their dinner and chatted while waiting for it. When it arrived, it was delicious. They had gelatto for desert, and then Jack took them home. All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening.

When they arrived back at the apartment, Jack carried the baby back inside. Sam took her into the nursery and fed her while Jack waited in the living room. When she came back out, he went in to say goodnight to Lizzie.

"Sir, would you like some coffee?" Sam asked when he came into the living room.

"Sure, sounds good." He followed her into the kitchen and leaned against the counter while she made the coffee. "So, I'll tell the General that you're coming back to SG-1 when you're maternity leave is over in two weeks, right?"

"Right," she said smiling at him. She was looking forward to going back to work. She even had childcare lined up. Mrs. Harrison, the woman who looked after Cassie, was going to watch Lizzie, too. "I'm looking forward to getting back to work. I've missed it." She leaned back against the counter beside Jack. "I love Lizzie, but I miss my work."

"I understand." He reached over and put his hand on her shoulder. "It'll be great to have the team back together again. Things just haven't been the same." The coffee was finished by this time, and Sam turned around to pour them both a cup. They took their coffee to the living room and sat down, side by side, to drink it. They talked a little while longer, then Jack decided to call it a night. Sam walked him to the door.

"G'night, Sam," he said, standing in the doorway. "We've got an overnight mission tomorrow, but I'll be over as soon as we get back. Give Lizzie a kiss for me?"

"Of course." As she stood there, he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, surprising her.

"Thanks, Sam." He turned and walked down the hallway, and she closed the door behind him. She'd had a wonderful time that night, but then she always had a good time when she was with him away from the SGC. The only bad thing about the situation was that whenever they were together, she started dreaming and fantasizing that they were a family, and they clearly were not and couldn't be. It saddened her. Jack considered Lizzie his daughter, and she was her mother. They could be so happy, but it was an impossible dream. Sighing, Sam made sure the deadbolt lock was set, then she turned off all the lights and, after checking on Lizzie, went on to bed.



************



Sam's first mission with SG-1 after going back to work was just a standard recon mission, checking things out on a planet that seemed to be uninhabited. The next two were pretty much the same, but on the fourth mission, they met up with some local resistance, and the Colonel got winged by an arrow, mainly a scratch. After a couple of days of recuperation they were going out again, when something totally unexpected happened. Right in the middle of a mission briefing, Daniel got sick and had to be rushed to the infirmary. Janet's diagnosis: an acute appendicitis attack. She performed an emergency appendectomy and managed to remove the appendix before it ruptured, but Daniel wouldn't be up to going on missions for at least a week, so the rest of SG-1 was given a week's leave while he recovered. Teal'c had decided to go to the land of light to see Drey'auc and Ry'ac and Colonel O'Neill had decided to go fishing somewhere in Minnesota.

Since she'd spent six weeks on maternity leave, Sam decided to use the time to study the decay rate of naqadah in her reactor. It was something she'd been wanting to do for quite a while, but with missions and then her pregnancy, she just hadn't had the time. She was using a blowtorch to dismantle the reactor when she heard a voice call her name.

"Carter!" Sam heard someone call her name.

Sam turned off the blowtorch and removed the welder's mask she'd been wearing. It was the colonel. "Sir! Hi! How's Daniel?" she asked as she ran her hand through her hair.

"Ah, he's gonna be fine," he said. "What are you doing?"

"I'm getting ready to do a detailed analysis of the decay rate of naquadah within the reactor," she answered, then went into technobabble mode. "It's really quite amazing. Unlike plutonium, naquadah actually has a-"

"Ack!" he cut her off. "I'm on vacation."

"Yes, sir," she said looking down, a little embarrassed.

"And so are you." He said this a little more gently.

"I know," she answered. "I mean, it's not that I'm happy that Daniel's in excruciating pain or anything like that, but I've actually been looking forward to an opportunity like this for quite some time."

"You know, maybe it's just me, but I always thought that when one got some leave, one actually left." Sam smiled at this statement. "Daniel's recouping, Teal'c's off visiting his kid somewhere, personally, I have a date with a little lake in Minnesota where the bass grow that big." He held his hands about two feet apart.

"Really!" Sam said, disbelievingly.

"Oh, yes!" he exclaimed. "What I'm describing here Carter involves a very special element."

Sam nodded at her reactor. "This is fun to me, sir."

"Well, if playing with your little reactor sounds better than exploring the lakes and natural beauty of northern Minnesota, there's not much I can do."

"Was that an invitation . . .sir?" she asked hesitantly, almost afraid of his answer.

"Nothing wrong with that, is there?" he asked quickly. She shook her head. "Co-workers, friends if you will, fishing. It'd be fun. Lizzie would like it, too."

"Wow, I appreciate the offer, sir, really, sounds great, but I should-" she indicated her reactor.

"No sweat." He seemed a little embarrassed, and started backing out of the room. "See you in a week. And by all means have 'fun'." He turned and walked off.

Sam sat there for just a moment, stunned that he'd asked her to go with him. And Lizzie, too, of course. Making a quick decision, she jumped up and took off after him.

"Colonel!" she called. He stopped and turned to look at her. "Uh-" She started to tell him that she would go with him, then she saw an airman come down the hallway. That effectively changed what she wanted to say. "Have a good time."

Never let it be said that Jack O'Neill gave up easily. "Land of sky blue waters, loofahs, 'ya, sure you betcha, snookums,' mosquitoes-" and he disappeared in a flash of light. Sam stood there for just a second in shock, then raced to the alarm and pulled it.



************



"-home of the loon." Jack looked around. The gray walls of the SGC had been replaced by the walls of an Asgard ship. It looked like Thor had other plans for his vacation.



************



An exhausted Sam, Jack, and Teal'c stood slowly and filed out of the briefing room. They'd just given General Hammond their report on the destruction of the Asgard ship and the defeat of the replicators. Daniel had long since returned to the infirmary where Janet swore she'd sit on him if he tried to leave again. Sam felt desperately in need of a shower and then a cuddle with her daughter. For a while there, she'd thought she wasn't going to see her again. Then there was the matter of Jack being upset with her and Teal'c for not obeying his order not to come up to the Asgard ship. Although he knew they were needed, she could tell by how quiet he was that he was definitely not a happy camper. Teal'c had returned to his quarters, and it was just the two of them standing by the elevator.

"Sir, I'm sorry-" she started to say, but he cut her off.

"It's okay, Sam." The elevator doors opened and they both walked inside. "I couldn't have done it all alone." He finally smiled at her, and she felt a little better.

"Sir, is that invitation to go fishing still open?" she asked hesitantly, unsure as to whether she was doing the right thing or not.

The smile turned into a grin. "Carter, that invitation's always open." The elevator doors opened and the two of them walked out, Jack putting his arm around Sam's shoulders. "Always."



************

The End