samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author: Sheryl Martin/Nantus

Email: xfdragon@zoominternet.net


Taking Notes

By Sheryl Martin/Nantus

There is a certain corridor in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex that most personnel avoid like the plague - or the mess hall, depending on your taste. In that hallway are a variety of storage rooms, electrical rooms and a certain Colonel's office.

And, even with a mountain surrounding it, it is not as soundproof as many could want.

So when a certain Major walked by the junction of said corridor and the rest of the level and heard loud and graphic cursing echoing off the walls, there was no doubt as to where it was coming from. Nor the probable cause.

"Sir?" Glancing around the corner she could see into the sparsely decorated office and her commanding officer sitting behind the desk; scowling.

"Carter." He growled at the keyboard, jabbing at the keys with dagger-like precision.

"Is everything all right?" Moving just inside the room she waited as he glared at the screen.

"This." Stab. "Report." Stab. "Is." Stab. "Driving me nuts." He peered up over the top of the monitor. "If a Snake could get inside a computer."

"Can I take a look?" Trying to sound as soothing as she could, Sam moved around beside the irate Colonel. "Oh, the mission to P4X-836."

"If I never see another happy face." Slumping back in his chair he looked at the ceiling tiles as Carter moved in on the keyboard.

"Janet said the drugs wouldn't affect us unless we had prolonged exposure." Her voice trailed off as she bent over the desk, immersed in the screen. "Ah, here it is. You must have accidentally accessed the spreadsheet function."

As her fingers moved over the keyboard Jack O'Neill fell silent, his gaze falling on the black tshirt in front of him, the fabric taut over her body as it ran down and into her uniform pants. The slightest bit of a gap was starting to open at the base of her spine as she shifted her weight from side to side, causing a similar reaction from her CO. Leaning back in his chair his eyebrows rose just as his eyes travelled further downwards, slipping all the way to the regulation boots that held very little appeal for him. The blonde hair had fallen away from the back of her neck, exposing ivory-colored skin that probably hadn't seen the light of day since her last regulation haircut.

"Now we'll just cross-reference to my own report and Daniel's." She muttered, shifting from one foot to the other again; sending a ripple effect down her back and through the man beside her.

"Yes. That would be good." He deadpanned, propping one elbow up on the arm of the chair and his hand along the side of his face as he leaned even further back, glad that the wall was nearby.

"Oh, you forgot to save to the hard drive as well." Sam shook her head with a sigh. "Sir, we've been all over this before."

"I forgot." Jack began to rock back and forth in his chair, a wide grin on his face. "I'm beginning to remember about the hard drive now, however."

Oblivious to his reaction Carter continued to tap on the keyboard. "I swear, Sir. there's a reason why your office is hell and gone from the rest of the complex."

"Hmm."

"And you know that General Hammond is getting a little less patient with us not having our reports in on time."

"Hmm."

"This is becoming a routine."

"Hmm."

Sam looked back over her shoulder with a smile. "Should I sign you up for special classes on how to use the computer, Sir?"

Jack shrugged. "If you feel the need, Carter." He sat up in his chair, brushing imaginary lint from his lap. "Of course, I could just stop doing reports."

Standing up she pointed at the screen. "I don't think General Hammond would agree with that. I've already compiled the data and sent it all to the printer in my lab. Better ink there and I'll just hand it in along with mine."

"Which you've already completed."

"Of course." Walking around the edge of the desk she paused at the open door. "Any time you need help." She pursed her lips as if to whistle, then stopped. "Just call." A wide grin and she was gone.

"I am *so* busted." O'Neill whispered to the empty room. Shaking his head with a wide smile he began to type expertly on the keyboard. "Now for my next trick."

------------------ 30 -------------------