samandjack.net

Story Notes: Due to popular demand, I am turning my drabble into a fic. It was a response to Alli's challenge #1. Must include-These lines: JACK: I won't accept that. SOMEONE ELSE: Is that because you think I'm wrong or because you're in love with her? Thanks for all your encouragement guys! *This is my first ever attempt so be nice please*


"Incoming traveler!" The young technician called.

"Do we know who it is?" General Hammond asked, running into the control room.

"SG1 signal sir."

"SG1? They've only been gone an hour. Open the iris!"

No sooner had the iris opened then three bodies came tumbling through. The general raced into the Gate room just as the three bodies started to sit up, obviously stunned.

Daniel was the first to speak. "Where's Sam?" he asked slowly, looking at Jack. "Jack, where's Sam?"

Jack was sitting there on the ramp holding something tightly in his hand. On closer inspection General Hammond noticed it was a piece of cloth with the SGC badge attached. "Colonel O'Niell, what happened? Where's Major Carter?"

Jack kept looking at the piece of cloth. "I... I couldn't hold on to her. I tried."

Hammond looked at the three men sitting in front of him. They were all trying to digest what had just happened. Wanting to get some answers as to where Sam was, he ordered them to the infirmary before they were to be debriefed. This woke Jack out of his thoughts. "General we have to go back now! Carter is in real danger!"

"I'm well aware of that Colonel but I want you all checked out before you do anything. Then I want to know what the hell is going on!" The three men looked like they were going to argue so he cut them off quickly with, "That's an order SG1!"



##################



Janet looked over the team and determined that there was nothing physically wrong with them. They were, however, suffering from varying degrees shock. Therefore she joined in the debriefing to keep an eye on her patients, especially Jack. He seemed the worst affected by this incident. She knew why, hell everyone knew why except him and Sam. They were in love, but neither of them would admit it. 'They're willing to break every rule but that one' she thought to herself.



##################



"Okay Colonel. I want you to tell me everything that happened on P3X274."

"Yes sir." Jack took a deep breath and buried all his feelings deep down, when he spoke he sounded more like a robot than a man. "When we came through the Stargate, we stumbled into what appeared to be a civil war. We didn't have time to try and dial out so we made a dash for it and hid behind some rocks, figuring that they'd kill each other before long. After about an hour one side was defeated and the victors appeared to leave. We went out and as Daniel started dialing, they returned. They got very agitated, I think they thought their enemies had hired us or something. Anyway they came at us just as the Stargate engaged, which startled them for a moment. Carter was at point so she was further away then the rest of us. I grabbed her just as..." he took another deep breath "... just as they got to her. I thought I had her but just as I entered the Gate her sleeve ripped and... and I lost her." He closed his eyes, trying to get a grip on his emotions. 'I am NOT going to loose it! That won't help Sam.' He opened his eyes. "So that's it. Permission to go and get Carter now sir?"

"Permission denied."

Jack got to his feet "Excuse me sir?!" he asked incredulously.

"Colonel O'Neill, you and the rest of your team have been through quite enough for one day. I will send SG2 and SG7 to retrieve Major Carter. I don't want any arguments Colonel. You are in no shape to go and help her." He lowered his voice and placed a reassuring hand on Jack's shoulder. "We'll get her back son. Just be patient."



##################



Ten minutes later SG2 and SG7 were geared up and waiting in the Gate room.

Colonel Patterson, the leader of SG2, walked up to Jack. "Don't worry I'll have her back here before you know it."

Jack could only nod in reply. Since he had returned through the gate, everyone had been treating him like he would either break down or go berserk at any moment. He had been tempted to break something, only the fear that someone would realise his feelings for his Major had stopped him. He didn't care about himself but he knew the damage that could be done to Sam's career if people even thought they were lovers, although they weren't. 'Come on Sam, I need you back here. You can't leave me now. Seeing you is my only reason for getting up in the morning.' Jack thought it was funny that he could be so in love with a woman that he had never even touched, would probably never touch.

Jack was shaken from his thoughts as the wormhole engaged and the two teams headed through. 'Please bring her back safe' he silently prayed.



##################



Sam's eyes flicked open as her brain tried to figure out what had happened and why her whole body protested in agony at the slightest movement, breathing included. She remembered the battle, and the soldiers returning as they were going through the gate. She remembered Jack grabbing her just as one of the soldiers did, and she remembered the look of anguish on Jack's face when her shirt sleeve ripped as he stepped through the Gate. The last thing she remembered was the sickening blows to her chest and head as she tried to struggle free of the soldier's grasp.

She sat up slowly, closing her eyes to try and stop the sudden wave of nausea that gripped her. 'Okay so I probably have a concussion...' she winced as she took a deep breath '...and maybe some broken ribs.' She tested out her limbs and determined that she had no other injuries, other than a few bruises. 'Now lets get the hell out of here Carter.' She got up and examined her cell carefully. Her captors had taken all her weapons but one of the bars on the small window was loose and she managed to break it off. The door, however was too sturdy for her to break so she would have to wait until someone came into the cell before she could escape.

A few hours later Sam had almost given up hope of getting out when the door finally opened. A large man walked in and seemed surprised to see that she was awake. He obviously didn't consider her a threat though as he left himself wide open for Sam to swiftly disable him, stabbing the makeshift stake into him. He fell back, hitting his head on the wall and sliding to the ground, without making a sound. Sam quickly searched him, finding a dagger in his belt, before quietly slipping out the door.

Five minutes later she had slipped out of the prison undetected. The only problem was that she had no idea where the Stargate was. She was considering her options when she heard a noise behind her. Turning she saw the same soldier who had grabbed her at the Stargate. He was smiling maliciously at her, knife in hand and Sam involuntarily shuddered as he looked her up and down. He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her toward the forest, not noticing the dagger she had slipped into the back of her belt. Once they were out of sight of the village, he pushed her roughly against a tree trunk ripping her shirt open and clearly not impressed that she wore a T-shirt underneath. He had just started to cut the T-shirt when Sam pushed the knife aside and kneed him expertly in the groin. He cried out in pain and anger, again coming at her with the knife. She side stepped him but he managed to gash her arm before she pulled out her dagger. They circled each other, waiting for the other to make their move. The soldier lunged toward her and she slashed him across the stomach before he managed to plunge the knife deep within her side. She let out a strangled cry as he pulled the knife out and she fell to the ground. As he stood above her, she used all her remaining energy to reach up and plunge her dagger into his heart. Her last memory was of him slumping on top of her.



##################



The rescue team had been searching for Sam for a few hours when they came across a large village. Skirting around it, in the safety of the forest, they heard a strangled cry to the right of them. Crouching low, they rounded the corner just in time to see Sam lodge the dagger firmly into the soldier's chest and both collapse to the ground. Patterson ordered his men to keep watch as he raced over to the two bodies. He pushed the dead soldier to the side and quickly surveyed Sam's injuries. "Major Carter." he spoke softly, shaking her gently. "Come on, wake up Major."

Her eyes flickered then opened. She drew in a ragged breath as the pain hit her.

"It's all right Major I'm gonna get you home." Patterson spoke soothingly as he quickly dressed her wounds in an effort to stem the bleeding.

"Jack..." she barely whispered.

Patterson smiled at her. "He's waiting at home for you Sam. Let's get you back to him hey?" With that he picked her up and they headed for the Stargate.



##################



Just as the last chevron engaged, a group of soldiers came running out of the forest, clearly displeased that their prisoner had escaped. "Get through the Gate now!" Patterson ordered, as he raced through the wall of water with Sam in his arms. He briefly heard his men fire their weapons, covering him as he escaped with his precious cargo.



##################



Daniel walked through the corridors of the base towards Jack's office. He had disappeared shortly after the teams had left and Daniel thought that he should check on his friend. They all cared for Sam but he knew that Jack was in love with her. He also knew that, due to regulations, the two had never done anything about there feelings. Except for flirt. 'God could those two flirt!' he thought with a smile.

Walking into Jack's office, he saw him sitting at his desk writing. "Hey Jack, how you doin'?" Daniel asked quietly.

"Fine Daniel. Just catching up on some paper work." He looked up at his friend, his face perfectly hiding his feelings. "While you're here. What was the name of that High Priest that gave us that potion last week?"

"Ah Jack, does that really matter at the moment?"

"I really should get this done while we're waiting for Carter to get back. The debriefing will probably take forever and then we'll hopefully be on downtime for a few days, so I won't have a chance to catch up."

Daniel looked at Jack closely. He didn't seem at all concerned for Sam's safety.

"Aren't you worried about her at all?" He asked incredulously. The silence made him realise that Jack was just trying to mask his feelings but Daniel was worried that, if the worst happened, Jack would loose it totally if he wasn't at least prepared. They had watched that army fight for an hour and saw how brutal they were. "Look Jack, you're going to have to face the possibility that Sam's dead." Daniel broke to his friend.

"I won't accept that" came the determined reply.

"Is that because you think I'm wrong or because you're in love with her?"

Jack looked at him in surprise. "Don't pretend to know how I feel about her Daniel."

"For god's sake! You love her and she loves you. Would you both admit it!"

Jack looked resigned. "Maybe it's too late."

"Jack, if she comes back then promise me you'll tell her?"

"*When* she comes back."

That's when the alarm sounded "Incoming traveler!".

Jack and Daniel raced into the gate room just as the iris slid shut, dull thuds echoing as it was hit by those chasing the rescue team. Sam was being placed on a waiting gurney, Janet already tending to her. "I haven't got a pulse. Let's go!" She jumped on the gurney and started performing CPR as the gurney was wheeled, passed Jack and Daniel, towards the infirmary. All Jack saw was her ashen face and her blood soaked clothes. 'Oh god let her live' repeated through his mind as they followed quickly behind.

They were stopped from entering the large double doors by a young orderly. Jack shot him a menacing glance that had the orderly take an involuntary step back. "Let me through Lieutenant!" Jack bellowed.

"I... I'm sorry sir, they're preparing the Major for surgery. You can see her when she comes out."

Daniel grabbed Jack and pulled him toward a row of chairs, thus saving the orderly from possible harm. "Come on Jack, let them work on her. Janet will let us know the minute she can." He looked up to see Teal'c round the corner.

"How is Major Carter?" he asked in his usual monotone, but Daniel could see the concern in the Jaffa's eyes.

"Don't know yet Teal'c, they've taken her into surgery."

The three men slumped into the chairs. Daniel looked over at Jack. He was pale and lost in thought. "She's going to be all right Jack."

"Yeah? How do you know that Daniel?"

"I don't, but you have to believe it. You can't give up on her."

"Major Carter is a fighter. She will not give up easily." Teal'c offered.

Jack gave a small smile. "Yeah she is a fighter" he said quietly.



##################



Three hours, and countless cups of coffee later, Jack saw Janet walk wearily toward them. He jumped to his feet, followed closely by his team mates. "How is she?" they asked simultaneously.

She gave them a tired smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I won't lie to you, it was touch and go for a while. Her heart had stopped and she had lost a lot of blood. To make matters worse the knife penetrated her spleen and we had to remove it." She placed a hand on Jack's arm. "Sam's a fighter Colonel. If she can hold on through the night then I have every confidence that she'll make a full recovery."

Jack took a deep breath, trying to stop himself from shaking. "Can we see her?" It came out as a whisper. Janet nodded and led them to Sam's room.

Jack stood in the doorway of the room and looked at the woman he loved. She was hooked up to a heart monitor which was beating rhythmically. Her face was pale except for a large bruise on her forehead. Her wrists were also bruised and her left forearm was bandaged. He was pulled from his thoughts as he heard Janet speak. "You can talk to her. I believe that people in her condition can hear what's going on around them." She smiled at Jack. "Can't hurt. I'll be back to check on her in a little while."

"Hey Sam." Daniel whispered. "You hang in there. We need you here. Don't forget that." He gave her hand a squeeze then stepped back.

Teal'c stepped forward. "You must get better Major Carter. SG-1 would not be the same without you." He placed his hand briefly on her arm before stepping toward the door.

"We're going to leave you and Jack alone now Sam, so he can tell you something. We'll be back soon."

"Daniel..." Jack started to protest.

Daniel cut him off. "Tell her now Jack, while you have the chance." He ushered to Teal'c and the two of them left.

Jack walked into the room and pulled a chair close to her bed. He hesitated before slowly picking up her hand. He tenderly ran a finger over her palm before softly kissing it. A single tear slid down his cheek as he played with her slender fingers.

"Sam. I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I'm so sorry. I tried to hold on to you but I couldn't. I left you there to be attacked by those savages. I hope you can forgive me."

He bowed his head as the tears cascaded down his cheeks. "You know Daniel told me that when you returned, I should tell you how I feel about you. I... I don't really know where to start. You entered my life at a time when I was just coming out of a really dark place. You've given me something to live for. I get up each day, looking forward to seeing your smile and hearing your laugh. You are the strongest, most amazing woman I've ever met. I... I guess what I'm trying to say is I love you Sam." He looked at her face but her eyes were still shut. "Come on Sam, you can't leave me now. I need you."

He sat there, holding her hand and speaking softly to her. Soon his fatigue took over and he fell asleep, head resting on Sam's bed. His dreams were filled with her. Kissing her, making love to her, her stroking his face with her long fingers. 'Hang on' he thought groggily. 'Someone *is* stroking my face.' He opened his eyes to look straight into the deep blue eyes of Samantha Carter, her hand resting on his cheek.

"Hi" she whispered hoarsely.

"Sam!" He jumped up so fast that he had to close his eyes to stop the room form spinning. He opened them to see a small smile on her face. "Oh my god you're awake! How do you feel?" He asked, gently stroking her hair.

"Like I've been stabbed." She gave a small chuckle but winced at the pain it caused.

Jack looked at her with concern. "I'll go and get Doc Frasier."

She grabbed his hand. "Wait a minute Jack" she whispered. He turned around in surprise at her use of his first name. "I wanna tell you something first."

He moved back across to the bed and looked at her expectantly. "What's up?"

"I want you to know that what happened wasn't your fault. You did what you could to get me through the gate and I don't blame you." She paused, trying to take a deep breath. "And I want you to know that I love you too." She smiled at the look of pure joy that spread across his face as he leant across to gently brush his lips across hers. He looked into her eyes before finding her lips again, this time in a deeper, more passionate kiss.

Janet walked into the room to see her friends kissing passionately. "Ah I'll come back later shall I?"

They sprang apart. "Doc" Jack said breathlessly. "Look, she's awake!"

"Well I was hoping that you weren't making out with an unconscious woman Colonel." Both Jack and Sam blushed at her comment. "Welcome back to the land of the living Sam." Janet was grinning from ear to ear.

"Ah Janet about..." Sam began.

"It's all right Sam, your secret's safe with me. Now how 'bout you carry on where you left off and I'll let you know when you have visitors." With that, she turned on her heel and walked out, leaving Sam and Jack to stare after her.

Jack turned and looked at Sam, who had a small grin on her face. "Well you heard the woman, come here and kiss me Colonel." Jack grinned broadly as he leant down and recaptured her lips.



THE END