samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: I originally conceived of it for one fandom, but then I thought, Hey! If I only use pronouns instead of names, it works quite well for two! And so it was done.


If he had to describe what it feels like, he would have to say it's like drowning.

As he watches her face the man who will be her husband in a matter of minutes, he can't help but wonder what he could have done to prevent this from happening. Maybe if he'd realized -- or admitted -- early on that there was an attraction, he could have gotten it out of his system years ago and moved on, making this whole thing less painful for them both.

Instead, it had happened so slowly that he'd barely noticed--

--until it was too late

--end--



End Notes: A.N.#2: The title comes from the supposed fact that if you place a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will jump right out. ("Well, *duh*!" I can hear you say. "Wouldn't you?"). However, if you put a frog in a cold pot of water and heat it slowly to a boil, the frog's environment changes so slowly that it doesn't notice and it lets itself be boiled alive.

I don't know if it's true, and I certainly hate to think of how many times this experiment may have been performed. Don't you dare try it at home or I'll send the PETA-type people after you.

Hopefully, no animals were harmed in the making of this fanfic.