samandjack.net



Thank God for Walter. If it weren’t for him I don’t think everything would have been ready in time.

“General,” the said man draws my attention, “just this one left,” he nods for me to sign the last paper that will end all of our suffering. And we have all suffered because of this I have no doubt.

“Thank you Walter. Please have Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter report to my office as soon as possible. I understand Doctor Fraiser will be done with them any moment now.”

“Yes, sir,” he leaves the folder with me, along with all of the documentation. It’s the end of an era I suppose.

I remember the first time they met. The Colonel and the Captain. Samantha had just flown in from the Pentagon and arrived late for the meeting. She hates to be late.

Than, of course, there was the freshly un-retired Colonel with the trusting issue.

When they clashed horns I very well thought there wasn’t going to be a mission, let alone a situation where the two of them would get along, regardless of what I saw in 1969.

Than she’d laughed at Jack’s inappropriate joke.

Ever since she was a little girl, Samantha had the ability to charm your pants off with just a smile. And she did it with Jack right then and there.

It took a little time for a true connection to form between them, but that was the start.

I’m not sure when they developed feelings for one another, or when I first took notice, but the tension was undeniable. However, I would’ve denied it if anyone asked. There has never been anything but a strict respect between the military members of SG-1. Not a damn thing… except the looks, and the testing, and the erratic behavior when one of them was missing, and…

“Sir, they’re here,” Walter announces, stepping aside to reveal a very somber Jack O’Neill and embarrassed Samantha Carter.

If one were to look at them, they’d see nothing but serious officers who are aware they’re in trouble, but those who know them could see the tremors that run deep under the military mask.

“Sir,” they both stand at attention, looking straight ahead above my head, hands behind their backs.

“Colonel, Major,” I say in my angry yet sustained tone. I don’t give them ‘at ease’ attitude, because they’re supposed to not be at ease.

“Sir I would like to…” of course I know what Jack would like to do. But that’s not an option in this situation.

“You will speak when spoken to!” I cut him off, and for the first time in his life the man actually shuts up. Samantha winces at my tone, but remains still.

“Now,” I continue very somberly, “I want both of you to write a transfer request, which will be on my desk an hour from now.”

“Sir,” they abandon their stand and start making a case for why the other one should stay on the team.

“… Carter’s way smarter…”

“… Colonel’s too important for…”

I know they haven’t spoken since waking up. Too embarrassed, the two most stubborn pig headed people I have ever met.

“Did I give you permission to speak!?” I yell, slamming a hand on the desk and rising from the chair. It has to be this way.

They stand down, reassuming their previous stance, but Jack’s on the verge of breaking.

“Transfer requests in one hour!” Maybe my tone is too firm… I just hope Jack doesn’t loose it. “Dismissed.”

Samantha leaves almost immediately, while Jack lingers. “I said, dismissed.”

With that he goes in a different direction from Sam, and I’m left free to laugh.

oOo

A half an hour didn’t pass when I see them again. On different sides of my office, again.

Their eyes meet for a second, but instantly turn to me, avoiding what’s sure to be revealed if the look lasts longer. Love, hurt, guilt. It’s written all over their faces.

“I can come back, sir,” the Major offers.

I waved them both in. “I assume you’re here for the same reason,” I take the papers they’d offered, collect the folder Walter left me, and motion them to the briefing room.

“Sit down,” I take my position at the head of the table while Sam sits to my right and Jack to my left. “You’re requests are duly noted,” I start, “but they are denied.”

All of it was worth it just to see their astonished faces. Jack is the first to recover. “Sir?”

“Our off world allies are demanding that your bonding be recognized as official by the treaty we signed with them. The Tok’ra are the ones most insisting.” That’s right, Jacob told me all about the mission to the Tok’ra world. Every single detail that didn’t go into the report. “So,” I open the folder and pull out a marriage certificate. “Just sign here and we’ll be done,” while Jack examines the certificate and processes what I’m saying, I focus my attention on Sam. “Major, you’ll stay as the Colonel’s second, but you’re evaluations will be preformed by me. The president considers, and I agree, that given the special circumstances, it should be allowed for the two of you to stay on SG-1, regardless of your marriage to the Colonel. Will that be a problem?”

I know she barely heard the words I said.

“Uhm, no sir.”

“Colonel?”

“Fine by me,” Jack shakes his head in confusion.

I want to take the certificate but the man still hasn’t signed it. “We don’t have a whole day,” I give him the pen, which Jack takes. Before actually signing it he looks at Sam, and there’s confirmation in her eyes.

Yes this was a good decision.

Offering the paper to Samantha I didn’t have to give her the pen as she herself reach out for it.

“Good, congratulations,” but they’re still confused, still doubting this has happened. “Now for the unofficial version.”

Jack puts his head in his hands. “And the sound of the other shoe.”

I pay no attention to his comment. He’ll come around in no time. “As you both know, the president is at the end of his term,” they nod, but have no clue what that has to do with them. “Well, he wanted to do something special for the people of this command. Every married member of SG team will have authorization to explain his or hers partner what is it that we actually do here. Those who are not married will have the option of reserving that right for when they are. However, you two are not married. Well… you are now,” I chuckle. They don’t get it.

“I thought that something special should be arranged for SG-1,” swallowing hard I continue, “the president and myself have agreed that should you two want a relationship you’d be given a special pardon. However, you have to come and ask for it.” I pause. “And I knew you’d never do that. From your perspective it was a catch 22. So I decided to improvise.”

They’re still not talking. One would think they’d be ecstatic, but it seems it still hasn’t fully sank down.

“You two shooting each other actually proved to be a good thing. I’d lost hope that you’d ask for permission, or admit your feelings. And I had such high hopes after the Tok’ra mission,” did the Colonel just blush? Well I’ll be…

“I want to assure you Major, since Colonel O’Neill is still a higher ranking officer, you shouldn’t feel obligated to stay in this marriage if you don’t want to.”

And they bite.

“I would never…” Jack starts.

“No, sir, that’s fine…” Samantha says at the same time.

A bit jumpy? I’m like a cat that ate the canary.

Sammy ducks her head in recrimination.

“I’ll leave you two to sort out…” I wave a hand in ‘Jack O’Neill’ manner, pick up all of the documentation, and get up.

Lingering at the door I wait to hear what's going to happen, but nothing comes out.

Than. “So…” Jack.

Silence.

Softer. “So…” Sam.

Damn those two and their way of communication. I bet they’re just looking at each other.

… I’ll go to the surveillance room…

“Walter!”

“Yes sir?”

“Come with me.”

He gives me an odd look, but follows.

After all he’s done, the man deserves too see.

TBC