samandjack.net

Author's Notes: A/N: I forgot to mention that this is all happening at the very end of season 7, before Lost City. Just before.


Two weeks ago

I sit next to Colonel O’Neill, who is already fidgeting in his seat. The man barely sat for a few minutes and already can’t keep still.

Here goes the pen. I watch him play with the object as Teal’c and Daniel walk in.

“Hey guys,” Daniel greets us, while Teal’c just nods.

We haven’t seen each other for three days given that we had five days off.

I really missed them (unlike Daniel I was ordered out of base). But none the less I think I might be a little too attached to my guys. “Daniel,” I smile, “Teal’c.”

The Colonel just waves his hand, and I can see he’s annoyed. We were supposed to have two more days of ‘rest’ before coming in, so I imagine he’s quite pissed right now, but I don’t mind… I kind a like it when he pouts.

General Hammond walks in, and I stand up immediately. The Colonel hesitates for a moment and than pulls up reluctantly.

The General doesn’t seem to notice, or he doesn’t want to. “Sit down people,” he says, taking his own seat at the front.

“What’s this about General?” Colonel O’Neill asks annoyed. By now, he knows there’s no emergency, so he allowed himself to be annoyed.

Hammond looks pointedly at the Colonel letting him know that he doesn’t appreciate the tone. “We’ve received several requests from our off world allies. They want to show us their culture.”

I swear Daniel’s eyes glow with glee. “Would that mean that SG-1 would get this assignment?”

“Yes,” the General picks up four files and hands it to us, and before Jack can protest he continues, “but, you and Teal’c will be there just to observe, while the Colonel and the Major will participate.”

Now I’m dumbstruck. “Excuse me, sir?”

“Why?” Jack finally speaks. “This is Daniel’s field…”

It’s bad enough we have to go, but to actually participate… I imagine there’s nothing worse for the Colonel.

“Those are mostly bonding ceremonies they want to show us,” the General cuts him off.

My throat is suddenly dry. “Sir?” and my question is closely followed by Colonel’s “What?”

“I said…” our C.O. sighs. “The parts of the culture they want you to participate are mostly bonding ceremonies.”

I notice Jack swallowing hard, and can’t help but sympathize. Yes, I call him Jack sometimes. It’s my head I can do whatever I want… but I try not to make a habit of it.

“Bonding… as in?”

“Equals to marriage on Earth, Jack.” Daniel answers.

“General,” the Colonel begins his voice giving away his nervousness, “we are a combat team… I don’t think it’s our job to…”

“Colonel,” Hammond interrupts, “I know perfectly well what your job is. However, I think that SG-1 has had a rough couple of months and that this will be a perfect opportunity to relax for a while. For the next two weeks, you two are going to participate in the culture of our allies. Those are your orders.”

I’m at a loss for words, and if possible my throat is even dryer.

“This is not what I would call relaxing!” oh yeah, Jack’s pissed alright, and I agree with him. “I mean…”

“I would be most honored to observe the bonding rituals of our allies GeneralHammond,” now Teal’c interrupts, and our heads snap towards him.

What the hell is he doing!?

Our normally quiet friend, who on occasion inserts a couple of ‘indeeds’ is holding General Hammond’s eyes with the ‘I-know-something’ look. I can see that the General is equally surprised with this outburst as the rest of us, so I wonder what Teal’c could possibly know?

“I believe it will be most beneficial for our team to seize this opportunity for relaxation,” the Jaffa speaks again, and now our eyebrows are hitting the roof.

“T,” Jack starts after getting passed his shock, but the former first Prime of Apophis moves his eyes from Hammond to the Colonel, effectively stopping him from continuing his thought.

The Colonel tilts his head a little trying to assess what’s up with our friend, because this is not a normal behavior for Teal’c, but says nothing more.

At this point I realize I’ve been very quiet during the whole thing. “Sir,” I try to address the General, but I’m stopped.

“There’s no debating this, Major,” Hammond says firmly. “You leave tomorrow at 0800 hours, for the Land of Light. All the information of upcoming missions is in your files,” he finishes, getting up. “Dismissed people,” and we’re left in the briefing room watching the retreating back of the base commander.

“Okay,” Jack claps his hand, “what’s going on?”

Daniel’s giving us a blank look, one that indicates he’s really confused.

“If I’m not mistaken… he just ordered the two of us to…” Jack’s looking uncomfortable with what he’s trying to say, but I don’t understand why.

“Fraternize,” Daniel finishes for him.

My eyes go wide, and that throat of mine is dry once again. I begin to think that saliva is a distant memory when I hear our ‘quiet’ member say: “Indeed.”

I would choke, but there’s nothing in my mouth to choke on. It’s funny how I can over look things I don’t want to see, but luckily my teammates are very supportive of my denial.

“Well, I’m sure he didn’t mean it like that,” Daniel, ever the diplomat, tries to alleviate situation.

“Yeah…” the Colonel agrees reluctantly.

However, Teal’c doesn’t say anything, just bows his head. Now he finds his quiet side again!

I smile tightly adding a ‘yeah’ of my own, and excuse myself with a mumble about an experiment I want to check on.

tbc